PDA

View Full Version : Survivor Premiere 2013 Tonight!

Crab Rangoon
02-13-2013, 08:10 AM
No thread yet? Well here, let me fix that for you:

Why, you ask? Well, because (have I told you yet?) - my friend Mike Snow (http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/photos/1000154/season-26-premiere-/34695/) is playing this season! And I'm very excited to see how he does! Give him some love, people!

And.....red underpants. Yeow (man)!

squeegee
02-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Yay, thanks for starting the thread. I had no idea the new season was upon us.

Nars Glinley
02-13-2013, 11:33 AM
The only favorite that I'm glad to see is Malcolm. Phillip will add a touch of craziness and there's no telling what Lil Hantz will bring to the table this time. I wonder if he's adjusted to seeing women in bikinis yet.

Lamar Mundane
02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
After a quick look to see if my impressions were just confirmation bias (they weren't) I think we are in for a new type of season. In the past, when returning players were in the game (excluding when all the players were returnees), they have done very well. First were Bobby John and Stephanie, and Stephanie was runner-up. Next was the original "fans vs. favorites" and all three of the finalists (Cerie, Amanda, and Parvati) were returnees with Parvati winning. Next was Redemption Island, won by returnee Boston Rob. South Pacific featured Ozzy and Coach, who finished fourth and second respectively. Last time we saw some cracks in the returnee success record, although Skupin was runner-up.

Why do I see it different this time? First, there are few if any dominant personalities returning. No Ozzy or Parvati or Boston Rob to come in and run the game as if they invented it. Second, many of the returnees are "personalities" who have no shot at winning and at best will be dragged along as ballast to be jettisoned at the appropriate time - these are the Secret Agent, Hantz, Corrine, and Cochrane. There are several non-entities (Dawn, Andrea, Erik, Brenda), a wild card (Francesca) and Malcolm, a real threat to win it, but a bunch of fans who are tired of seeing returnees do well will identify and target him very early.

I see no sympathy for the old players this season. They will be used and discarded. The novelty has worn off.

I haven't really looked at the new players at all, but based upon nothing but a hunch, I am picking Michael (bald 40-something) to win it.

twickster
02-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Good analysis, Lamar -- I think you're right about the returning players. Could be a good season -- will be interesting to see what the game looks like with the mix of eccentric returnees (instead of masterful players) and "fans."

Crab Rangoon
02-13-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm gonna guess the Philip/Franceskwa friction will lead to their tribe failing the first immunity challenge and one of them going home.

It's interesting that we can see some of the weaknesses of the favorites tribe beforehand - but the fans are an unknown - I wonder if there will be an equally difficult person(s) on the fans side of things.

squeegee
02-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Am I correct in believing that these players did not see last season's broadcast yet? That would give Malcolm a slight advantage in being anonymous to the other returning players.

Ellis Dee
02-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Am I correct in believing that these players did not see last season's broadcast yet?Yes. This new season started filming around two weeks after the previous one wrapped, meaning Malcolm already knew who had made it to the finals this season during last season's live finale.

It must have been weird for him at the last finale, since he was probably long over that season having just played an entire new season.

StarvingButStrong
02-13-2013, 06:38 PM
my friend Mike Snow (http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/photos/1000154/season-26-premiere-/34695/) is playing this season!

So, he's a northern bastard, is he?

Crab Rangoon
02-13-2013, 06:42 PM
So, he's a northern bastard, is he?

Oh, Ayuh! You can tell by that pasty white look he's got going on. He's spent time in Atlanta though - so he's used to hot weather as well.

Lamar Mundane
02-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Am I correct in believing that these players did not see last season's broadcast yet? That would give Malcolm a slight advantage in being anonymous to the other returning players.

True, but I don't think that gives him an advantage. I know I'd be extremely wary of the guy they picked from the unaired season. The last time it was Russell Hantz, and he ran over a bunch of veterans who knew he was a "villian."

Mahaloth
02-13-2013, 07:09 PM
True, but I don't think that gives him an advantage. I know I'd be extremely wary of the guy they picked from the unaired season. The last time it was Russell Hantz, and he ran over a bunch of veterans who knew he was a "villian."

Probst has pretty much said that it's a blessing and curse. They are super wary of a new guy who was supposed to be a fav.

I love Probst when Philip got out of the helicopter.

"And....former federal agent!.....Philip!!!"

Mahaloth
02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Watch this cool video that shows how Jeff filmed the opening. (http://telly.com/2MZDAJ)

MadTheSwine
02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
First person I hope they vote out-

Phillip on the favs.

Shamar on the fans.

Mahaloth
02-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Lots of scrambling on faves for the vote out.

Nars Glinley
02-13-2013, 08:25 PM
That was entirely too predictable after she said she'd eat a rock if she got voted out first.

Mahaloth
02-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Francesca becomes the first to be voted off first twice. Say that 5x fast.

randwill
02-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Watch this cool video that shows how Jeff filmed the opening. (http://telly.com/2MZDAJ)

Thanks for that. When I saw that shot during the opening of the show I wondered if he climbed or was dropped off. I surmised that he had to have climbed as getting from the helicopter to his position would have been too dangerous. I never guessed there was a hidden helper involved.

Crab Rangoon
02-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Well - the upside is that it looks like the favorites are going to implode, at least until the short man is voted out.

Looking good for the Snowman - the fans have got to break up those couples before they do anything else. What were those couples players thinking? "We're so popular, no one would ever think to vote us out"? But maybe by the time the fans go to tribal - the couples will have broken up, cancelled going to the prom and won't be speaking to each other.

araminty
02-14-2013, 12:01 AM
I forgot how fun it is to listen to Cochrane's talking heads. He's so self-aware, and yet, not. He clearly still loves Survivor. I hope his sunburn doesn't slow him down, that kind of red can take a while to heal from.

Poor Fran, I called the loser edit as soon as she threatened to eat the rock.

magnusblitz
02-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Damn, poor Francesca. Interesting that both of the women she initially talked about forming an alliance voted against her.

And man, this season is going to be tough if my most-loathed Survivors don't get voted out soon. I think I said "f***ing Cochran" about five times while watching this episode. And from the preview it looks like Lil' Hantz is gonna go off the deep end next episode.

squeegee
02-14-2013, 12:53 AM
And from the preview it looks like Lil' Hantz is gonna go off the deep end next episode.

Really, was there any doubt? I didn't see the preview, but it was eerily familiar to see Brandon making some random woman on his tribe a target, for really no reason than his inner demons, once again.

StarvingButStrong
02-14-2013, 03:06 AM
Oh, Ayuh! You can tell by that pasty white look he's got going on. He's spent time in Atlanta though - so he's used to hot weather as well.

Sorry, that was a lame attempt at a Game of Thrones joke. 'Snow' is the desigated surname for bastards in their northern realms.

Ellis Dee
02-14-2013, 03:31 AM
I'm still as into Survivor as I ever was, but man this season is super depressing. Clearly they couldn't bring back the prehistoric favorites again (Rupert, Parvati, etc...) so the idea is to bring in favorites from the last bunch of seasons. Works for me, I'm on board.

But hoo boy, the favorites they got suck hard. If these are the favorites, how shitty must Survivor have been the last few seasons? Malcolm I love, and, and..., erm, Andrea is super hot, and..., uh...seriously?

Francesca? How in the hell is a first-one-out a favorite? I barely remember Dawn, don't remember Colleen (that's not her name, I forget it) at all, and I loathe Philip, Cochrane and Brandon. And not in a "love to hate" kind of way; get them off my screen NOW, please. Of course Brandon targets the hot blonde immediately. Dick! hehheh. At least that despicable gay southern racist dude isn't back. (I have black friends...my housekeeper!)

Where is that redemption island religious dingbat who got voted off first then won like 8 duels in a row to get back into the game, only to be promptly used and discarded by Boston Rob? Why isn't that guy back?

As for the fans, that marine is an uber asshole. Not a fan so far, but he could win me over with impressive challenge performances. The less we hear him talk the better. The "cool kids" fulfilled the dumb jock stereotype perfectly, forming an alliance of four on a tribe of ten and making it super obvious. That'll end well, you dumbasses.

Very impressive challenges, the design team should get a bonus for putting up that structure, and I do love the "kill the carrier" type games. Hopefully they'll keep the reward challenges separate from the immunity challenges this season, giving us two challenges per episode. I like the idea of reward challenges being all-out physical brawling with immunity challenges being more intricate. And I like the goofy skill contests like "toss the sandbags into holes." I'd like to see those alternate weeks with puzzles.

Wheelz
02-14-2013, 10:14 AM
When adults compare others to "The Cool Kids in High School" it's usually not meant as a compliment. And these four douches are calling themselves that? Not too self-aware, are we?

Here's hoping one of those four is the first out in their tribe.

phungi
02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
And from the preview it looks like Lil' Hantz is gonna go off the deep end next episode.

When does the preview ever actually reveal what is going to happen the next episode?

randwill
02-14-2013, 10:36 AM
When does the preview ever actually reveal what is going to happen the next episode?

True.

However, some people avoid the previews so it's customary to spoiler any details from them which you may want to talk about.

randwill
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Francesca? How in the hell is a first-one-out a favorite?

She and 'federal agent' had conflict during their season. The producers need conflict to have a show. I'm sure that's why she was hired and I'm sure that they were disappointed when she got voted out so soon.

John Mace
02-14-2013, 10:35 PM
I've watched every episode of every season of Survivor, but I refuse to watch another retread season, especially one with a Hantz. I just deleted this from my DVR, and I'm skipping this season. I hope next season is better.

squeegee
02-15-2013, 12:01 AM
I've watched every episode of every season of Survivor, but I refuse to watch another retread season, especially one with a Hantz. I just deleted this from my DVR, and I'm skipping this season. I hope next season is better.

Do you want a PM when the Fav tribe collapses utterly? It seems quite inevitable, and you can cheer their destruction and enjoy the rest of the season untroubled. :)

PunditLisa
02-15-2013, 07:40 AM
I think it was funny that Eddie proclaimed himself to be the best looking guy on the island. Hint: He's not.

I also was amused that Reynold was in charge of throwing bean bags into the holes. He's from Cincinnati and a game called "corn hole" is very popular here. It involves...throwing bean bags into holes.

After reading Rey's bio on "Survivor," he should put $1000 in the douche jar. I'm not sure the island is big enough for both he and Eddie's egos:

Why You Think You’ll “Survive” SURVIVOR: I’m a charmer. I dazzle people. They adore me and open up to me. I’m an excellent motivator, excellent physical competitor and have experience spear fishing.

Why You Think You Will Be the Sole SURVIVOR: With my charming personality and a long history of thriving in and adapting to new social situations, I am the best equipped to manipulate the actions of my fellow competitors to play my agenda. I’m in excellent physical shape and my strong competitive drive makes me almost unstoppable

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/205502/

twickster
02-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Barf.

Crab Rangoon
02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
I've been bedazzled! I hope Reynold invites me to the prom!!!!!

I also hope he gets crop dusted....

Johnny L.A.
02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Poor Fran! You'd think these people would know to vote out the crazy first. The SO only tolerates Survivor, and she does not want to see 'Fuchsia Underwear Guy' any more than she has to.

Crab Rangoon
02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Poor Fran! You'd think these people would know to vote out the crazy first. The SO only tolerates Survivor, and she does not want to see 'Fuchsia Underwear Guy' any more than she has to.

The thing is....all the other Favs are thinking they want to bring Philip to the final three with them. And it's easy to drift along with crazy Philip if you can until you have to actually start playing. Philip is taking all the attention and thus all the pressure off of his group.

Not voting out Andrea was the real mistake.

ekweizn
02-17-2013, 01:24 PM
The thing is....all the other Favs are thinking they want to bring Philip to the final three with them. And it's easy to drift along with crazy Philip if you can until you have to actually start playing. Philip is taking all the attention and thus all the pressure off of his group.

Not voting out Andrea was the real mistake.

For whom? The only people that appeared to have the ability to swing the vote once the lines were drawn were Dawn and Cochran (Note: I don't think we saw what Brenda's rationale was). Given the choice between working with: (A) Francesca, Brenda, Erik, and Brandon or (B) Andrea, Corinne, Philip, and Malcolm, I think I take (B). Philip has a proven track record of being a great final tribal council goat, Andrea and Corinne aren't terribly effectual players, and Malcolm is the first target post-merge if you don't go in with numbers.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.