PDA

View Full Version : What television series have you given up on recently?

Skald the Rhymer
02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
For me, it's The Walking Dead. It's just too dark. I'm not saying that it's not well-made. Overall, it is; overall, the good episodes still outnumber the clunkers. It's just too depressing. I was watching "The Suicide King" last night, and it occurred to me that Rick's baby daughter is probably going to be eaten alive by zombies at some point, that the little blonde girl whose name I can never remember will probably be captured and subjected to unspeakable horrors by the General, that there is virtually no chance of a hopeful resolution for any character that would not be a cop-out. If I want to read a story about the triumph of evil and chaos over good and order I will read the Iliad again, because at least that has Odysseus in it.

But that's just me. What still-in-production TV shows have you given up on recently, and why?

ZipperJJ
02-13-2013, 05:23 PM
The original British Shameless. I realized I was watching a soap opera, and I don't like soap operas.

pravnik
02-13-2013, 05:40 PM
I haven't given up on Criminal Minds, but I'm close. At this point everybody on the show has been raped, kidnapped, shot, had their one true love murdered, or all of the above, but keep at their murderously horrific jobs because hey, we're catchin' us some bad guys! Hey BAU, I've got a profile for you: your writers are sadists.

h.sapiens
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I stuck with Once Upon a Time for longer than I should have, but I finally gave up. It had some promise, and the production design was pretty good, but eventually they just kept throwing more and more characters from widely different stories in, and trying to follow story lines in 3 different universes/time streams was driving me up a tree.

LawMonkey
02-13-2013, 05:57 PM
It occurs to me that I rarely give up on shows--I stick with 'em to the bitter end. Also, I have a fairly good track record at avoiding drek, though some might disagree since I did watch all five seasons of Leverage. :p

Anyway, I think the last show I actually gave up on (rather than quitting after one episode (The Walking Dead, Last Resort) or never quite bothering to watch at all, despite having on the DVR (Vegas)) was House. Sometime when he was with Cuddy, and the whole show was just him and Cuddy being a couple and I think maybe he remembered to cure somebody in between snugglefests and longing gazes. That was it for me.

randwill
02-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Tried and dumped "Elementary" and most recently "The Following".

There are too many good movies I haven't seen and anime series I want to catch up on to waste time on the same old generic American network crap.

Skald the Rhymer
02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
It occurs to me that I rarely give up on shows--I stick with 'em to the bitter end. Also, I have a fairly good track record at avoiding drek, though some might disagree since I did watch all five seasons of Leverage. :p

Anyway, I think the last show I actually gave up on (rather than quitting after one episode (The Walking Dead, Last Resort) or never quite bothering to watch at all, despite having on the DVR (Vegas)) was House. Sometime when he was with Cuddy, and the whole show was just him and Cuddy being a couple and I think maybe he remembered to cure somebody in between snugglefests and longing gazes. That was it for me.

I didn't mind House and Cuddy as a couple. I gave up on the show in disgust when he got a slap on the wrist for ramming his car into a house with a toddler in it.

TBG
02-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Other than whatever it is NBC is showing Mondays at 10 (Deception?) which I dumped after the first ep, not much that I start and give up on.

I have had a few shows I haven't even started even though they seemed interesting, because I just don't have faith they won't get canned right as I get interested. The Following on Fox, and some show on NBC that I can't recall the name of (wow, what is it with me and NBC show titles) about a guy with two personalities or some such (sounds a little like another NBC show, My Own Worst Enemy (hey I remembered that one!) from a couple years ago that I enjoyed but of course got killed way too soon) Oh hey, that NBC one is already canned it looks like, good thing I didn't bother. Fuck you NBC, but you didn't get me this time.

twickster
02-13-2013, 07:48 PM
"Glee," after sticking it out for two full annoying seasons and half of this one (in addition to the first season, which was sublime). I finally just said, "enough."

drewtwo99
02-13-2013, 07:48 PM
The original British Shameless. I realized I was watching a soap opera, and I don't like soap operas.

Same reason I gave up on Mad Men, Downton Abbey, and to a lesser extent, Spooks, and am probably about to give up Doctor Who (don't kill me anyone, plz!)

GuanoLad
02-13-2013, 08:39 PM
I have also given up on Walking Dead, for similar reasons. Miserable, dark, and nowhere to go but more misery. There's no entertainment value for me in that.

I won't be watching Falling Skies any more either, but that's mostly because it's so badly written. I realised that I'd have it all lined up to watch, and I'd keep putting it off and never getting around to it. That's a sign, if you don't want to watch something, whatever the reason, then why waste your time? I went through the same process with shows like FlashForward and the V remake. It just seemed like they were trying too hard at providing big epic mystery, and failing at the small character moments. Nobody would smile, and it just gets too much of a burden as a viewer to have to take all that misery on each week.

And I've given up on Downton Abbey, after the most recent Christmas Special was just so poorly constructed, with the dumbest ending ever. It may as well have been an episode of Neighbours (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighbours).

Most of the generally popular shows are of a subject matter that doesn't appeal to me. Breaking Bad, Girls, Boardwalk Empire, even Game of Thrones (even though I love mediaeval fantasy, GoT is just too miserably unhappy for me). I want levity mixed in with my drama, alleviation from the endless dirt, grime, hatred, and excessive drug/sex/violence combination that is dominating TV.

I think I'm just getting old and the average entertainment is no longer aimed at my corner of my generation.

Critical Mass
02-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Mythbusters.

I used to really enjoy the show. The schtick's grown old though.

epbrown01
02-13-2013, 08:42 PM
This season I quit Revolution. I started watching Lost Girl on Netflix and gave up 3 eps in. I didn't bother with How I Met Your Mother at all this season.

Mr. Accident
02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
House, after he ran his car into Cuddy's house.
Bones, after her and Booth hooked up.
Supernatural after Castial became God. Should have stopped after Sam jumped into hell.
Simpsons. Haven't watched any of the new season. Same for Family Guy and American Dad.
Warehouse 13. Just not interested anymore.

About the only show still in production that I watch anymore is futurama and Arrow.

Seanette
02-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Well, Last Resort didn't last long, and I only lasted ten minutes into the first episode. Too much "introduce each person one by one, with setup of soap opera for that person", not enough plot movement.

I survived an episode and a half of Revolution, and gave up in disgust. Just couldn't stand Princess Bossy Brat any more, and refused to waste time on her.

Sadly, I have to agree with the previous poster who thinks Mythbusters is played out.

Meatros
02-13-2013, 09:48 PM
"Glee," after sticking it out for two full annoying seasons and half of this one (in addition to the first season, which was sublime). I finally just said, "enough."

Same here.

Gave up on falling skies, the V remake, and the land of the lost remake (I can't remember the shows actual name - a bunch of people get sent back to Dino land).

I'm close to giving up on Once upon a time and Being Human.

elfkin477
02-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Beauty and the Beast. Wake me if it ever gets interesting, k?

If I like something enough to watch the whole first season, I usually stick with it. So generally it's only during season one that I bail on anything. That's the only reason I'm still watching Once Upon a Time...

Seanette
02-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Meatros, about the one you can't remember, do you mean Terra Nova? Sadly, that one's done.

Tangent
02-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Glee
Revolution
American Idol

(and probably Smash pretty soon)

Meatros
02-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Meatros, about the one you can't remember, do you mean Terra Nova? Sadly, that one's done.

Yup, that's it. My wife and I used to call it Terrible Nova. Had such promise, I thought...

Lucas Jackson
02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Tried and dumped "Elementary" and most recently "The Following".
I'm hanging in there with Elemental but no more to The Following.

epbrown01
02-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Beauty and the Beast. Wake me if it ever gets interesting, k?

Oops, forgot about this one. Yeah, I lasted about 4 episodes, which is impressive when you consider how much I dislike Kristin Kreuk.

Tamerlane
02-13-2013, 11:53 PM
I started watching Lost Girl on Netflix and gave up 3 eps in.

Probably a good move. Some folks like them to be sure. But I've been dvr-ing those for awhile now and recently forced my way through the end of the second season, just to clear some space on the machine. I have no idea why I didn't just delete them, other than perhaps OCD completeism. It just isn't all that good from my POV. The concept is fine, but the execution is pretty darn meh.

Now I'm staring at the first few episodes of season 3 racking up on my machine and I'm thinking I need to just cut my losses and delete the damn things.

Mr Downtown
02-14-2013, 12:13 AM
The Middle. I'm pretty desperate to find a third sitcom to watch each week—but not that desperate.

JohnT
02-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Boardwalk Empire

My wife bought me season 1 on DVD, watched a couple of episodes, likely will sell it soon.

StGermain
02-14-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm ready to give up on Burn Notice. It's just the same story over and over. There's no character growth or change - they still make the same stupid mistakes and assumptions they always made.

StG

Zeldar
02-14-2013, 09:46 AM
I was so hoping for something good from The Following and had DVRed a couple episodes to get caught up with. I just went ahead and deleted them. Such a waste.

I'm about to that point with Nashville.

gwendee
02-14-2013, 10:08 AM

Glee for me as well. I loved the first season. Got bored with the second season and just stopped watching. We got back together briefly but I lost interest again after a few weeks.

Also, I gave up on The Following after the second episode. I might watch it in the future when the library has it on DVD but it is far too dark for where I am personally. I have to counteract it with heavy doses of Pixar movies and Jane Austen adaptations.

Oh how I wish I were including Grey's Anatomy. It is a pale whiny shadow of what it was when I truly enjoyed it. Now it's irritating, and once an episode I ask aloud of no one why I still watch it. I did manage a long break for about half of the season previous to the one currently airing (season 8 I think), but commercials enticed me and I caught up through the magic of On Demand.

silenus
02-14-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm afraid in about three more episodes - Survivor. The people just aren't interesting any more.

Living Well Is Best Revenge
02-14-2013, 10:41 AM

This. I loved the first season. But it started going downhill in the second with all the guest stars. It's a steaming pile now.

Seanette
02-14-2013, 10:45 AM
For crying out loud! Why cancel a show after TWO episodes? Fume fume fume.

I'm talking about Do No Harm.

Zeldar
02-14-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm afraid in about three more episodes - Survivor. The people just aren't interesting any more.

I hear you. The only reason I continue to watch is to save my marriage! :)

Watching paint dry would suit me better.

eenerms
02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Bunheads. Too close to Gilmore Girls.

Sam Lowry
02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
For crying out loud! Why cancel a show after TWO episodes? Fume fume fume.

I'm talking about Do No Harm.

I can't blame them too much. Do No Harm was "the lowest-rated, in-season debut of any scripted Big 4 series ever." (http://tvline.com/2013/02/01/ratings-big-bang-beats-american-idol-do-no-harm-failure/) Then the ratings went lower in the second episode.

pulykamell
02-14-2013, 12:06 PM
"Give up" may be a strong phrase for it, but I haven't been as religious about catching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia as I was a few years ago. I'm not sure if the show has just gotten old for me, but the last episode I really found funny was the Jersey shore episode from Season 7 (Sep 2011), and the series was getting pretty patchy by them. Seasons 2-5 seemed to be about the sweet spot for me.

Gangster Octopus
02-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Nikita. It was fun and suspenseful when Nikita was trying to bring down Division, but now it is just a bunch of rogue people chasing each other

cormac262
02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Oh how I wish I were including Grey's Anatomy. It is a pale whiny shadow of what it was when I truly enjoyed it. Now it's irritating, and once an episode I ask aloud of no one why I still watch it. I did manage a long break for about half of the season previous to the one currently airing (season 8 I think), but commercials enticed me and I caught up through the magic of On Demand.

I was waning, and then after the plane crash, have given up on Grey's. My girlfriend hasn't, though. So I will sit in for parts of an episode...only to be convinced it was wise to pull the plug. And to be honest, Meredith isn't aging nearly as well as, say, Christina.

I am wishing my girlfriend would pull the plug on "Scandal". It is so over-the-top ridiculous (unbelievable), I joke with her that I'll start watching when the US declares war on....Luxembourg !

Cinnamon Imp
02-14-2013, 03:21 PM
That pinnacle of UK TV, "Eastenders"

*ducks*

Push You Down
02-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Once Upon a Time...three episodes into this season, I just didn't care anymore.

Edward The Head
02-14-2013, 03:29 PM
I'm ready to give up on Burn Notice. It's just the same story over and over. There's no character growth or change - they still make the same stupid mistakes and assumptions they always made.

StG

This is pretty much true. I DVR it, but I'm not as excited about it any more.

I still watch How I Met Your Mother, and it's ok, but it's getting a bit boring as well. I watch Elementary too, but a lot of times I find myself doing something else while watching. I was hoping it would be a lot better.

Amateur Barbarian
02-14-2013, 03:34 PM
There are varying degrees of "give up"; as we dumped cable some time back, we have to make a special effort to watch any of the ongoing shows. We can wait some period until they show up on Netflix or Hulu, but those we want to watch in something like realtime mean we have to go to Amazon Video or Vudu.

We did quit Hell on Wheels a couple of eps into the second season. Just pointless.

Passed on starting the second season of Boardwalk Empire after kind of grinding through the first season. Like HOW, it's got a great setup and wonderful period feel, but the story just kind of wanders around without point or purpose. I think it's a bad place to be when, like Deadwood before it (and I'd like to retroactively have quit watching before season 3) you are neither strictly following history nor completely telling a fresh tale, so every story is caught between limits of reality and series viability.

Not sure we'll make too much effort to pick up Warehouse 13 until it's on one of the bundled services. Went off the rails this last season.

And then, of courses, Alphas quit on us, but I'm not sure I'd have made too much effort to pick up the third season anyway.

epbrown01
02-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Bunheads. Too close to Gilmore Girls.

I kind of like when a producer/director has a stable of actors they draw from, so I wasn't annoyed when Palladino transplanted half of Stars Hollow. But I quit Bunheads because it ran into the same issue I had with GG towards the end - an unlikeable lead character. GG at least had Rory to counteract her mother's selfishness and immaturity - Sasha is no Rory. My favorite character was Mel, and that wasn't enough to stick with it.

control-z
02-14-2013, 04:44 PM
I haven't given up on anything lately, but I'm in a holding pattern on NCIS, Person of Interest, and Falling Skies. I have multiple episodes to watch but just haven't been interested.

Shodan
02-14-2013, 05:07 PM
I haven't given up on Ripper Street, but they better start doing something imaginative, or different.

I'm sure they're shaking in their boots at the threat, but still...

Regards,
Shodan

lisiate
02-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I gave up on Once Upon a Time at the end of season one. As some one upthread said, the adding in of more and more fairytale characters just grew tiresome.

I've also given up on Sons of Anarchy, the whole murdering drug lords are actually CIA ending to season four(?) was the final straw, especially as it rendered the show's most interesting antagonist (Lincoln Potter) utterly pointless.

Amateur Barbarian
02-14-2013, 05:31 PM
I've also given up on Sons of Anarchy, the whole murdering drug lords are actually CIA ending to season four(?) was the final straw, especially as it rendered the show's most interesting antagonist (Lincoln Potter) utterly pointless.
Agree, but we keep hanging on. For one thing "Charming" is on top of where Mrs. NitroPress lived for many years and it's not too far from where I grew up. The details are amusing. But star power aside, someone should have shot Clay about Season 2 and been done with it.

I predict the CIA drug lords will protect him in prison and get him out on some BS technicality by episode three of the next season, at which point we'll probably give up.

koeeoaddi
02-14-2013, 11:16 PM
I realize that I'm a decade or two behind the times with this one, but I'm about to bag Millennium. I'm only half way through Season 1, but it's too dour and depressing, with none of the humor of the X-Files.

I also gave up on Homeland, Coppers and Ripper Street.

TonySinclair
02-15-2013, 04:54 AM
I think I just set a record.

My mom is in her 90's and half blind, so I call her every night about 7:45 and read the primetime TV listings to her. Tonight, there was a new show called Zero Hour on ABC at 8PM that I literally had no idea existed before I read her the listings, five minutes before it premiered. She said she had seen an ad for it and it sounded interesting.

I hung up about 30 seconds before 8PM, and decided to take a look. I had it on for about 90 seconds, saw that it was about Nazis doing something related to Biblical prophecies of the End Times, and switched it off.

epbrown01
02-15-2013, 06:31 AM
^There was a funny scene I'll always remember from "Alien Nation" where the alien family is watching a show debut on Fox and it's canceled right after the credits.

As for Zero Hour, ABC posted it online on January 31 and it's been free on iTunes as well, so I saw it a while back. I made it thru the entire episode, but I've got no plans to watch another. It's a pretty standard mix of The Da Vinci Code and National Treasure.

Seanette
02-15-2013, 06:49 AM
I can't blame them too much. Do No Harm was "the lowest-rated, in-season debut of any scripted Big 4 series ever." (http://tvline.com/2013/02/01/ratings-big-bang-beats-american-idol-do-no-harm-failure/) Then the ratings went lower in the second episode.

IMO it's normal for a show to need a few episodes to get into its groove and FIND an audience. I don't recall much in the way of promotion for this show, and two episodes is not really enough time for word-of-mouth to kick in.

It won't be possible to convince me that two episodes is anywhere near a fair chance for ANY show.

epbrown01
02-15-2013, 07:14 AM
IMO it's normal for a show to need a few episodes to get into its groove and FIND an audience.

Not anymore. Anyone releasing a new scripted show in the last decade or so knows they've got to come strong out the gate or they're dead. It sucks, but that's the way it is. What's worse is the networks refuse to acknowledge that their quick-kill policy is self-destructive - lots of people don't bother with new shows because they don't want stranded mid-story if it's canceled. They don't want to hear about how shows like Seinfeld and Cheers took a while to find their audience.

TonySinclair
02-15-2013, 07:28 AM
I guess I gave up on Dexter and Burn Notice, after watching both of them for several seasons. The funny thing is that I don't recall noticing a decline in quality of either show, nor do I recall deciding that I wouldn't watch them any more. I just stopped watching them for some reason, and I don't have much interest in starting again.

RikWriter
02-15-2013, 07:37 AM
I gave up on The Last Resort shortly before it was announced that it was cancelled.
I gave up on The Walking Dead after the first couple episodes of this season for the same reason as the OP: too relentlessly depressing and hopeless. I have no desire to get attached to characters just to see them tortured and killed.
I am thisclose to giving up on the Following for the same reason.

salinqmind
02-15-2013, 08:36 AM
American Idol. I actually gave up on it last year. This year, I haven't heard or read a single thing about it, the new judges - nothing! (though I haven't looked very hard.)

The Americans. I was all intrigued to see this, reading good previews. Some bad things about it just turned me right off, and the good things weren't enough to make it balance out.

I've almost forgotten about Grey's Anatomy on Thursday nights. I caught it last night and it was hardly worth watching, so I guess there's a reason.

randwill
02-15-2013, 09:51 AM
American networks can't find the happy medium. A new show is either cancelled before it can build an audience or it gets the big audience and the show is dragged out long past its prime. It's easier to run a good idea into a rut than to come up with a new idea.

panache45
02-15-2013, 10:09 AM
The Middle. I'm pretty desperate to find a third sitcom to watch each weekóbut not that desperate.
This. It finally dawned on me that I didn't care what happened to any of the characters.

Eyebrows 0f Doom
02-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Add another vote for The Following.

And Glee. When I realized I still had all the episode from this season on my DVR and I hadn't had any urge to watch them, I just deleted them all and I don't even care.

Weaver of Nightmares
02-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Also, I have a fairly good track record at avoiding drek, though some might disagree since I did watch all five seasons of Leverage. :p

Piffle. Leverage was a fun show, and I'm sad to see it's gone.

I gave up on White Collar. Once S4 came back from its break I realised I didn't care anymore about it.

etv78
02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Not watching a show for fear of being left hanging is the Firefly Effect. (someone please add TvTropes link)

Frostillicus
02-17-2013, 09:15 AM
I give up on a show when I see that my Tivo has recorded another episode and my reaction is, damn, I don't want to watch that!

Glee
The Last Resort (maybe that's why it got cancelled)

Hockey Monkey
02-17-2013, 10:57 AM
I recently dumped

Real Housewives of Atlanta
Elementary
The Following
Once Upon a Time
Pawn Stars
Storage Wars
American Pickers
Cupcake Wars
Sugar Dome

I know, not anything real highbrow, but I was entertained by them for a while.

Ranchoth
02-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Hmmm...lately?

Young Justice...which I actually still liked.

A number of reasons...first, it's at an inconvenient time, and my methods of taping it are just as inconvenient.

Second? At the start of this, the second season...they skipped ahead five years into the future. No warning, no setup. And with a lot of changes explained via exceedingly clunky dialogue, including the deaths of two likable (if very minor) characters, and a breakup of two of the leads.

Third? Two episodes in...the network put the show on hiatus for three months. Along with the rest of the programming block. Again, with no notice or leadup.

Fourth...well, part of the setup of this season is the cunning mysterious conspiracy of the secretive bad guys coming to fruition. From what I've seen, it's very well done, and on an arc-heavy, rather dramatic show.

However, this means that it's going to be (at least from what I've seen, and have come to expectómaybe they turned it all around right after I stopped watching :smack:) a whole string of episodes of the heroes getting outfoxed and kicked in the teeth. Often publicly. With a week to wait for what happens next. Lovely.

Look, I don't expect or want my entertainment to be all gumdrops and rainbows...but sometimes, I don't want to really jump through hoops for the privilege of getting stomped on. This show did everything it could to shake me off, and it succeeded.

And now, if recent indications are true, it looks like the show's been cancelled. Worst case? They leave a cliffhanger that we'll never see resolved. Best case? It all came together in a brilliant, satisfying conclusion...and that's all I'll ever hear from it again.

Maserschmidt
02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Grimm, Girls, Walking Dead, Once Upon a Time, Deadwood...

I think I have commitment issues. :(

Skald the Rhymer
02-17-2013, 02:31 PM

StG

I gave up on Burn Notice (or decided to -- I'll admit to watching smidgeons of an episode since) when Michael murdered his mentor and then sucked Sam, Fiona, Jesse, and Maddy into his fest of fugitiveness. I'd stopped liking Michael committed the murder, but his not being a man and acting to minimize the damage to his friends & family was the kicker. I didn't like him any more.

ETA: I discovered this morning that I've given up on Young Justice, Green Lantern, and Star Wars.

Seanette
02-17-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm still enjoying Grimm, Once Upon A Time, and Elementary.

I seem to be over my interest in shows on hoarding, but picked up interests in Good Eats and Untold Stories of the ER. I'm not sure Monsters Inside Me is going to keep my attention much longer, though. I do get tired of the ViewersAreGoldfish (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ViewersAreGoldfish) thing, the overly dramatic narrator, and the amount of time spent on family member blubbering vs. anything informative.

Tangent
02-17-2013, 03:19 PM
add to my list:

Pawn Stars
Project Runway

epbrown01
02-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Hmmm...lately?

Young Justice...which I actually still liked.

I could never get into this, and was kind of ticked about that. This and Teen Titans seemed like good premises with poor execution. Young Justice just meandered thru all sorts of teen angst, TT's anime aesthetic was annoying.

Miss Mapp
02-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Downtown Abbey. I wasn't impressed with the couple of episodes I saw in the UK last fall, and the spoilers I've picked up since then have helped me decide that I don't care to see the rest of it.

Spoke
02-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Downton Abbey has degenerated from interesting period drama into pure soap opera.

missouri65
02-17-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm really only good for about 5 seasons of any show. I find most of them hit a slump around that point, and I'm not usually willing to stick around to see if they pull through.

I loved Burn Notice but gave up on it a couple of seasons back when I realized I had an entire season on my DVR and no interest in doing a marathon to catch up. Not sure which season it was, but I've never seen an episode with Jesse.

More recently, Criminal Minds. I've never been a faithful viewer, but regularly watched the reruns and would catch the new eps when I could. About 6 months ago it came on, and I realized I just couldn't sit through an hour of grim torture and murder. It's far too dark for me, and I haven't given up on The Walking Dead yet.

Also Psych, which I loved and watched every week. It's become same-old same-old, and I don't think the relationship has helped. More importantly, USA's tendency to air it for a couple of weeks when they get the notion, then drop it for months at a time doesn't really pique my waning interest.

Sattua
02-17-2013, 11:22 PM
As of 50 minutes ago, maybe Downton Abbey. Apparently it's the actor's fault and not the writers' though. Still.

chizzuk
02-18-2013, 03:07 AM
Another vote for Criminal Minds. I got annoyed by the way they started showing so much of the un-sub and so little actual profiling. I briefly considered catching up on the episodes I'd missed this season, then I read about what they did with Reid's phone girlfriend, and decided not to bother.

Hawaii Five-0. The show was already terrible and a guilty pleasure, but after Wo Fat's millionth escape and killing off Malia approximately 3 minutes into her marriage during the season premiere, I was like, "Screw this writing, I'm done."

I still have both these series set to record in my DVR, but then I delete all the episodes without watching them. NCIS is the only TV show I'm still watching regularly.

Vinyl Turnip
02-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Girls. Yeah, I know everybody loves this show and the characters are like, supposed to be loathsomely self-centered and annoying and if you like, don't think it's a revolution in TV entertainment, OMG you're like, a misogynist hater who can't stand to see a chubby naked girl be successful, or whatever. Made it through a season and a half and couldn't stand it anymore.

Laggard
02-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Make not make it to the season end of the Office.

Debaser
02-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Boardwalk Empire

My wife bought me season 1 on DVD, watched a couple of episodes, likely will sell it soon.

The first few episodes of Boardwalk Empire are not good.

But it does get better. By the end of the first season it gets much better. By the second season it's excellent.

CrazyCatLady
02-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Project Runway--I hung on for several seasons hoping that this season would finally get back to the actual design and construction process, rather than focusing on screechy queens clawing each other's eyes out and seeing how many catchphrases can explode from Micheal Kors's bloated orange face. But I accept that this will never happen.

The entire Thursday night NBC lineup. We just kind of got out of the habit of watching them during yet another ill-fated season of PR and never got back into that habit.

Washoe
02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Gave up on falling skies

When? It took a little while to warm up. I almost dumped it about six episodes in, and then I was suddenly glad that I didnít. Now Iím anxiously waiting for next season to start.

For some reason I completely lost interest in Sons of Anarchy. Iím not sure why, it just happened. I still have all of last season recorded, and I may watch it if thereís nothing else on, but for some reason it went from one of my faves to the reject pile. I think it had a lot to do with the way it seemed to be painting itself into a corner at the end of season four.

A Dodgy Dude
02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Is this week recent enough?

I gave up on Kevin Bacon's new show - The Following. Boring characters in a slow-paced show.

epbrown01
02-20-2013, 09:06 PM
I guess I can count White Collar - it started up again recently but I haven't bothered.

Skald the Rhymer
02-21-2013, 07:25 PM
I guess I can count White Collar - it started up again recently but I haven't bothered.

I watched the latest episode and liked it. I think White Collar, like its spiritual sibling Suits, is better off doing case-of-the-week episodes than arcs.

kushiel
02-21-2013, 07:31 PM
I'm waffling on The Following - I want to watch it, but there's two reasons why I'm afraid to get into it:

1) I like James Purefoy better than Kevin Bacon and liking the villain who doesn't do anything other than show up for banter once in a while never turns out well;
2) I'm worried they don't have the series planned out and it will become a mess as they try and stretch it out Lost-style.

Captain Amazing
02-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Dallas. The new one. It's really not very good, with the exception of Larry Hagman, and after I heard about his death, I just didn't really have any interest anymore.

Community. I was a big fan, but after hearing about what NBC is doing to the show, I'm really not interested in watching whatever will come out of this mangled half dying season.

Renifer
02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Glee. It introduced that girl who had anorexia and I had to stop watching. It was feeding into my own eating disorder.
Also why I'm avoiding Bunheads. In a show focused on the lives of dancers, that subject is going to come up, and no matter how they try to portray the "love your body the way it is" angle, I'm going to end up comparing myself to the ED suffering character and envying her for being "better" than me.

Also, kind of dropped off on The Office once Michael left the show. I do plan on catching up on it once the DVDs come out, but it's no longer a priority.

joyfool
02-23-2013, 08:35 PM
I really like The Following's pilot episode. I thought it was quite creative and interesting. However, it's devolved into SOMETHING UNBELIEVABLE happening like once every day. If I wanted that, I'd have kept up with 24 while it was on. I don't know how much longer I'll last.

We already dumped Ripper Street and The Americans. I won't be back for another season of Glee. I don't much care for the new characters on Smash, so that could be losing me too. And despite liking Johnny Lee Miller, Joan is boring me to tears and the plots keep seeming to become more convoluted. Sigh.

I'm hoping that Bates Motel won't be a disappointment. We'll see.

Tangent
02-23-2013, 08:45 PM
I gave up Revenge after just the first few episodes this season. Season 1 was a lot of fun--soapy and melodramatic, but fun. Season 2 just started throwing in all sorts of new characters and a bunch of new subplots and I didn't really care enough about any of them to try to keep track of it all.

Snooooopy
02-24-2013, 04:01 AM
I realize that I'm a decade or two behind the times with this one, but I'm about to bag Millennium. I'm only half way through Season 1, but it's too dour and depressing, with none of the humor of the X-Files.

I liked that show quite a bit, but I can't really say it's going to improve very much in the areas that you'd like it to improve in, so you're probably making the right call. They do bring back Jose Chung for an episode in the second season that may float your boat. Did you like him the first time he showed up?

Zjestika
02-24-2013, 11:03 AM
I started watching Friday Night Lights on Netflix but stopped after about 6 episodes because if I wanted to watch the absurd sex lives of teenagers I'd watch Gossip Girl. Based on the great reviews I thought it would be a little more grown-up.

gwendee
02-25-2013, 01:30 AM
I gave up Revenge after just the first few episodes this season. Season 1 was a lot of fun--soapy and melodramatic, but fun. Season 2 just started throwing in all sorts of new characters and a bunch of new subplots and I didn't really care enough about any of them to try to keep track of it all.
I forgot all about it so I guess I've given up. I might watch the later ones if the turn up on Netflix, but I don't need to be up to date on it.

I started watching Friday Night Lights on Netflix but stopped after about 6 episodes because if I wanted to watch the absurd sex lives of teenagers I'd watch Gossip Girl. Based on the great reviews I thought it would be a little more grown-up.
I absolutely respect your right to not like things that I like. I'm just surprised at what you took away from it. I don't think of it that way at all. Now, if you said you started with season 2 I'd get that. It did come off the rails for me around then, but for me it got good again.

But what do I know? I've never managed more than six episodes of The Wire...

Soylent Juicy
02-25-2013, 11:57 AM
I've been meaning to give up Glee for quite a while and just kept watching for something to do while eating dinner, but the last episode put me over the edge.

I can't stand any of the new characters and Rachael went from annoying diva to outright skank. The old characters are just assholes now (why do they keep hanging around their old high school, anyway? Creepy.) and Sue Sylvester finally went full douchebag.

Thanks for reminding me to take this garbage off my PVR list.

JohnGalt
02-25-2013, 12:23 PM
For me it's The Following. It's just weird, and looks like they will go in strange directions each week just for something to do.

Another ones I've stopped watching are Happy Endings and New Girl - too much shrill talk, put downs and "will they or won't they" to make it worthwhile. Damn, I liked the cast members!

And on a similar vein, I didn't restart watching Cougar Town when it went to TBS - too much effort for the payback.

tullsterx
02-25-2013, 12:41 PM
American Horror Story - Season 1: When I noticed that everyone killed in the house returns as a ghost. What the point in that? Good way to wrench the "horror" out of the whole situation.
And I just watched the 1st episode of Dexter. The good-guy serial killer?

gwendee
02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
And with the latest episode of Smash I'm pretty sure I can be done with that, too.

I don't think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the Downton Abbey phenomenon will be carrying on with no help from me.

TonySinclair
02-26-2013, 02:40 AM
After the pilot of The Following, I thought it had promise, but I was afraid that any time the FBI got close to containing the serial killer, another half dozen people --- sleepers who had been in key positions for years, with no sign that they were homicidal maniacs --- would suddenly pop up and send everything back to square one.

That's exactly what happened tonight, and I'm done with it. It's bad enough that most female cops on TV look like porn starlets, without them also being programmed to kill for someone by a few hours of contact with him.

GoodOmens
02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
I find that I just don't care about The Walking Dead or Big Bang Theory anymore. Actually, I find that I don't care about TV much at all right now, though I'll be happy when Breaking Bad returns.

RikWriter
02-26-2013, 10:53 AM
I gave up on both The Following and Zero Hour after their latest episodes and both for the same reason: dragging a plot point on too long.

Fir na tine
02-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Pawn Stars!

I've always enjoyed the interaction between the staff and the customers. Rick can also throw in some interesting historical tidbits every now and again. But now it's mostly just sniping back and forth between the staff. Like too many reality shows, its gotten away from the substance to concentrate on the fluff.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.