PDA

View Full Version : TV episodes or movies where timelines split.

shijinn
02-13-2013, 11:16 PM
as in the movie Sliding Doors or the Community episode where Abed throws the dice resulting in alternate realities. any other examples?

Derleth
02-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Back to the Future Part II was based pretty heavily on the idea of time travel creating alternate realities. It's implied in the Terminator films as well: The heroes' defeats of the time-traveling terminators succeeds in delaying Judgment Day, and possibly in changing the details of how it happens.

Thudlow Boink
02-13-2013, 11:31 PM
The Malcolm in the Middle episode "Bowling" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_(Malcolm_in_the_Middle))

TriPolar
02-13-2013, 11:36 PM
The Spock with a beard. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror,_Mirror_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)) actually a parallel universe if that counts. Futurama the Farnsworth Parabox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Farnsworth_Parabox). It's not clear where the divisions are. In an alternate universe a different coin flip changes the fate of Fry and Leela.

shijinn
02-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Back to the Future Part II was based pretty heavily on the idea of time travel creating alternate realities. It's implied in the Terminator films as well: The heroes' defeats of the time-traveling terminators succeeds in delaying Judgment Day, and possibly in changing the details of how it happens. time travel by default creates alternate realities. i was thinking of shows where they actually play out each of the realities, but that would probably result in a much shorter thread.

Simplicio
02-13-2013, 11:45 PM
The movie Run Lola Run plays through three different timelines.

Bryan Ekers
02-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Actually, it was Jeff who threw the die (in all but one of the cases), while Abed was the one who noted the creation of alternate timelines.

epbrown01
02-14-2013, 12:18 AM
time travel by default creates alternate realities. i was thinking of shows where they actually play out each of the realities, but that would probably result in a much shorter thread.

Mad About You did an episode where Paul and Jamie didn't meet at the news-stand and followed the alternate time-line for a bit.

appleciders
02-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Scrubs did an episode speculating on the different futures resulting from a butterfly landing on a fat old dirty man's man boobs or on a provocatively dressed woman's cleavage. Pointedly, several things turned out differently, but one key element remained constant between the two parallel plot lines.

Also, uh, Groundhog Day.

the_diego
02-14-2013, 05:18 AM
The Butterfly effect?

Jonathan Chance
02-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Recent example: Looper

RikWriter
02-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Jet Li's action/sf flick The One featured multiple timelines.

CandidGamera
02-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Star Trek : TNG - "Parallels".

Actually, variations on the timeline thing happened in TNG pretty frequently.

septimus
02-14-2013, 10:14 AM
The movies Déjà Vu, Source Code, Kate & Leopold and It's a Wonderful Life.

LaurenIpsum
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Friends did something like that - it was an episode showing how things would be different for each character if one part of their life had changed. Monica had not lost weight, Ross's wife hadn't come out of the closet and they were still married, Joey was still acting on that soap opera, etc.

RealityChuck
02-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Doctor Who did a parallel timelines episode in "Inferno (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Doctor_Who))" He also showed a parallel earth in "Pyramids of Mars," though only for a moment.

Red Dwarf's "Parallel Universe" also handled the theme.

Deegeea
02-14-2013, 11:27 AM
There's split timelines and then there's repeating versions of the same one. I've watched one-season TV shows that featured each - the repeating versions one was called Day Break and the split timeline TV series was called Awake. Both worth watching.

BubbaDog
02-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Here's a double wound subject
A Christmas Carol and the 8000 different ways it's been interpreted. - Scrooged, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past Etc.

Enderw24
02-14-2013, 12:07 PM
It's a Wonderful Life, and every TV episode with this as its theme.

Oh. What's the movie with Belushi and Michael Caine? Looking it up now...

Mr. Destiny, from 1990.

Mrs. Cake
02-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Doctor Who episode Turn Left, exploring what would have happened if Donna had turned left at an intersection instead of right, never eventually meeting the Doctor and saving his life, etc.

panache45
02-14-2013, 06:26 PM
No mention of Fringe? They constantly hop back and forth between alternate/parallel universes.

The Other Waldo Pepper
02-14-2013, 07:10 PM
time travel by default creates alternate realities. i was thinking of shows where they actually play out each of the realities, but that would probably result in a much shorter thread.

Still, consider Tru Calling. It's not like your typical episode of Quantum Leap, where we see Sam foil a criminal after Al merely talks about how things played out the first time around; we actually watch the day play out horribly before our heroine goes back in time to make a few small changes so things will go well.

Little Nemo
02-14-2013, 08:56 PM
The movie Run Lola Run plays through three different timelines.There's an American semi-remake of Run Lola Run called And Then Came Lola.

shijinn
02-15-2013, 08:36 AM
thanks for the suggestions so far, i like watching scenarios like these.

Still, consider Tru Calling. ... sounds interesting, though it is more like Groundhog Day that repeats once.

Actually, it was Jeff who threw the die (in all but one of the cases), while Abed was the one who noted the creation of alternate timelines. :smack: how could i forget? and Jeff intentionally used a single die that would exclude himself from the pick.

sco3tt
02-15-2013, 01:22 PM
This thread reminds me of a film for which I saw a trailer (ten or twelve years ago) but then never saw the film itself or any other information about it.

The story was about a woman who lived alternate realities in two antipodal areas of the world (U.S. and Australia, as I recall). Each time she went to sleep at night in one, she was immediately awake and living her life during daytime in the other.

I think it was a drama, but I can't recall if it was meant to be a horror film, thriller or existential-crisis-mindbender.

It reminded me of the film Me Myself I (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0183503/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) which I had seen previously, but it definitely was not the same movie. That was more comedic than the one I'm thinking of.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? I was intrigued by the trailer so would still like to find this film.

chrisk
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
The JJ Abrams college show 'Felicity' had a weird thing at the end where Felicity went back in time to the start of her senior year and made different choices, creating an alternate timeline. At the end, she gets back to the original timeline, except that somehow BOTH the friends who had died in each timeline were alive and well.

It was crazy stuff - basically the writers had to pull several more shows out of their butts after the one that they thought would be the series finale had already started filming, or something like that.

Der Trihs
02-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Year of Hell from Voyager has constant timeline changes.

There's the ST: TNG episode where the timeline shifted so that the Feds were in a losing war with the Klingons, until they sent back an earlier Enterprise that had gotten kicked into the future.

There's The City on the Edge of Forever, where Doctor McCoy changes the past so the Nazis win by saving Edith Keeler.

Typo Negative
02-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Jumanji!

After the game finished (it took 30 years), it brought the two original gamers back to the year the game began.

Quimby
02-15-2013, 02:44 PM
The premise of the show Awake had a cop living in two realities: one where his wife died in a car crash and in the other his son did.

Bryan Ekers
02-15-2013, 03:30 PM
The premise of the show Awake had a cop living in two realities: one where his wife died in a car crash and in the other his son did.

Thing about that show is the central character had a 50/50 dilemma, yet no particular incentive (indeed, an active disincentive) to resolve it.

That's why I call it My Two Deads.

Ethilrist
02-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Heroes had several alternate timelines, fixed to some degree by time-travel shenanigans. By the time I stopped watching, I was having serious trouble trying to figure out who knew which characters, and which powers they had, because they all swapped powers and abilities and histories like a big Gin Rummy game.

The entire run of Star Trek: Enterprise was an alternate reality story: in First Contact, Zephram Cochrane saw the bridge of Picard's Enterprise and said "Okay, view screen, data pads, touch-screen control panels... got it" and went home and built all that into the first generation starships, so by the first episode, we were already way off the track of TOS.

KneadToKnow
02-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Eureka seems made for this thread. Repeatedly.

in First Contact, Zephram Cochrane saw the bridge of Picard's Enterprise and said "Okay, view screen, data pads, touch-screen control panels... got it" and went home and built all that into the first generation starships, so by the first episode, we were already way off the track of TOS.

One or the other of us needs to re-watch First Contact. I don't remember Cochrane seeing anything but the Enterprise's shape through a telescope.

Ethilrist
02-15-2013, 05:41 PM
One or the other of us needs to re-watch First Contact. I don't remember Cochrane seeing anything but the Enterprise's shape through a telescope.

Ah. My bad, it looks like it was actually Cochrane's assistant, Lily Sloane, who was on the Enterprise and (assumedly) blabbed the secrets of the future once they sent her back down.

minionkat
02-15-2013, 09:38 PM
The Wish, from season three of Buffy where they explored what would have happened if she had never come to Sunnydale. Great episode.

Lamia
02-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Xena: Warrior Princess did this several times over the years. In "Remember Nothing", Xena is transported into an alternate timeline where she never became a warrior. In "Been There, Done That" she's stuck in a Groundhog's Day style time loop where she has to thoroughly save the day before she's allowed to move on. Towards the end of the series there was also an episode called "When Fates Collide" set in an alternate timeline where younger Xena had married Julius Caesar and become Empress of Rome.

TBG
02-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Frasier had an episode called Sliding Frasiers where the show splits on two depending on if Frasier wears a suit or a sweater when he goes speed dating.

ER had an episode like this late in its run (the Neela era) as well. IIRC, it had a guest appearance by Alex Kingston (who had been a regular years before) if you want to look into it.

John Mace
02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
No one has mentioned Lost yet?

James Otto Sweet Heart
02-21-2013, 01:27 PM
The only movie that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is the one named Frequency with Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel. :) :) :)

God bless you and them always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. This is one of my most favorite films. :) :) :)

Cayuga
02-21-2013, 01:39 PM
as in the movie Sliding Doors or the Community episode where Abed throws the dice resulting in alternate realities. any other examples?

Those were the two I came in to mention, so … no.

shijinn
02-22-2013, 12:44 AM
according to Thudlow Boink's link,

Cultural references

The episode's plot serves as a parody of Sliding Doors, in which two different timelines with the same characters are explored.[1] The X-Files had previously done a similar episode and Dan Harmon used this episode for inspiration of the Community episode "Remedial Chaos Theory".[1]
[edit]

Lucas Jackson
02-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Not sure if this fits but The Clearing has two timelines that run at different speeds. A great film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0331952/

Onomatopoeia
02-22-2013, 01:11 AM
I am quite surprised that the first two that came to my mind, Lost and Eureka, weren't mentioned until the 32nd and 37th post. I figured they'd be of the first mentioned.

bouv
02-22-2013, 07:42 AM
No one has mentioned Lost yet?

Why would we? It only has one timeline. There's plenty of time travel, but near as we can tell, it was all "supposed" to happen. Nothing that happened in the past ever changed the present/future.

Reepicheep
02-22-2013, 09:10 AM
The TV show Seven Days (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167720/?ref_=sr_3). First we would see the "real" timeline then Frank would take the sphere and change the timeline.

Quimby
02-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Why would we? It only has one timeline. There's plenty of time travel, but near as we can tell, it was all "supposed" to happen. Nothing that happened in the past ever changed the present/future.

Spoilers for Lost's last season (not sure this is really necessary but...)
Even though it was purgatory or heaven or limbo or something the Flash Sideways from the last season fit the premise of this thread. They were a reality where the Island sank into the sea long ago.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.