PDA

View Full Version : The Best(and Worst) To You Each Morning!

Czarcasm
02-14-2013, 11:01 AM
In your opinion, what are/were the best and worst cold breakfast cereals out there. No homemade concoctions, please.
My best would be Nabisco Shredded Wheat(not Mini Wheats). I break up a couple wheat bricks into 4 or 5 pieces each, pour on the milk and munch away.
The worst would have to be puffed rice of any brand-no flavor, and instant sog.

kaylasdad99
02-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Always been a big fan of Cheerios.

Never a big fan of Cap'n Crunch Palate Shredders.

Czarcasm
02-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Always been a big fan of Cheerios.The original, or one of the many varieties currently available?

salinqmind
02-14-2013, 11:11 AM
I like shredded wheat, too! Though I usually eat Frosted Mini-Wheats. Sometimes with a sprinkle of nutty granola. I would love to scarf down a huge bowl of granola every morning, but it's horrifically fattening.

amaguri
02-14-2013, 11:13 AM
You guys are far too healthy. The best is Count Chocula and the worst is Grape Nuts. This is not open for debate. :cool:

TriPolar
02-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Is it just me, or did all the flavor go out of shredded wheat some years back? Tastes like insulation to me now, but way back when it had a deliciously wheaty flavor.

Anyway, best would be the magically delicious Lucky Charms. Worst would be ... well kind of a 3 way tie between granola, muesli type stuff, and Rice Krispies, though I do like the little guys Snap, Crackle and Pop.

Czarcasm
02-14-2013, 11:51 AM
You guys are far too healthy. The best is Count Chocula and the worst is Grape Nuts. This is not open for debate. :cool:Grape-Nuts before or after the instant they go from rock to mush?

silenus
02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I alternate between Honey Nut Cheerios and Frosted Flakes. Everything else ties for worst.

Ike Witt
02-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Holy crap (http://holycrap.ca/).

Czarcasm
02-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Holy crap (http://holycrap.ca/).And what's your best?

Chefguy
02-14-2013, 12:57 PM
When I was a kid, I liked all the kid cereals like Frosted Flakes, Rice Krispies, etc. Nowadays I prefer shredded wheat or Chex cereals, or just a granola of some sort.

AnthonyElite
02-14-2013, 01:30 PM
The best is lucky charms when you take out all of those pesky grain pieces. Then you're riding the rainbow road to charmville.

ETA: The worst is...well...someone has to eat those grain pieces.

panache45
02-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Classic Cheerios.

Mrs. Cake
02-14-2013, 01:45 PM
My favorite is Heritage (can't recall the maker at the moment - I get them at Trader Joes). The only flake cereal with any real taste and it holds up to milk. Also like Joe-O's better than Cheerios.

Least favorite - been a long time since I've eaten cereal I don't like but had a terrible time with Cap'n Crunch shredding my mouth the one time I tried it as a kid - that put me right off anything resembling it. I see kaylasdad enjoyed the same educational experience.

Sudden Kestrel
02-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Lucky Charms are amazing, but my vote for best goes to original Trix flavor. New Trix is awful. Original Froot Loops were good, too.

Worst: All-Bran. It's like your cat ate a cardboard box, coughed up a box-ball, and you dried it and poured milk over it—or so I imagine.

RealityChuck
02-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Kellogg's Raisin Bran is the best.

Worst: All-Bran.

Maus Magill
02-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Best: Wheat Chex (with a little bit of sugar sprinkled over it.)

Worst: Probably one of those super-duper bran colon blow type cereals.

Salamanda Palaganda
02-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Best : puffed wheat

Worst : hands down its cream of wheat for me

GrandWino
02-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Best:
Honey Bunches of Oh's
Cinnamon Life
Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Worst:
Corn Flakes
Rice Krispies

Czarcasm
02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Worst : hands down its cream of wheat for meYou've eaten cold uncooked Cream of Wheat? Ick!

FrancisCastle
02-14-2013, 03:28 PM
My favorite is Honey Bunches of Oats with Cinnamon Bunches.

I can't really think of one I actively dislike, but when I was a kid, it was always disappointing when my mom bought the plain Rice Krispies.

Thudlow Boink
02-14-2013, 03:30 PM
You guys are far too healthy. The best is Count Chocula and the worst is Grape Nuts. This is not open for debate. :cool:Okay, but I think at some point they changed the recipe and started making Count Chocula out of plastic, so let's specify the old formula, okay?

hogarth
02-14-2013, 03:34 PM
My favourite is Frosted Mini-Wheats. My least favourite is probably some sort of bran flake.

pbbth
02-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Best is a tie between Cap'n Crunch and Frosted Shredded Mini Wheats. Worst is Grape-Nuts. How I loathe Grape-Nuts. *shudders*

control-z
02-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Best good ol' Raisin Bran.

The only cereal I really remember not liking was Super Golden Crisp. Or maybe it was Suger Smacks. Either way, to quote Ralph Wiggum, it tasted like burning.

Sternvogel
02-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Best: Frosted Mini-Wheats, especially the Touch of Fruit in the Middle Mixed Berry variety.

Worst: Corn Flakes. How did they ever get to be so popular?

tullsterx
02-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Jeez, I just don't get Cheerios. . . why do people love them? I really just hate them because so many people love them. And I don't get it. I think they're OK.

When I was little, Count Chocula was my favorite.

Now, Vanilla Almond Special K, is probably my fav.

tim314
02-14-2013, 05:04 PM
The best is lucky charms when you take out all of those pesky grain pieces. Then you're riding the rainbow road to charmville.

ETA: The worst is...well...someone has to eat those grain pieces.

Ha ha, when I was a kid my brother would give me all the grain pieces and keep the marshmallow bits for himself. But I didn't like marshmallows, so it was OK.

He called them "Yucky Charms", as in "I'll eat the charms and Tim can have the yuckies." Nevertheless, they were his favorite cereal. So far as I know, they still are. Now he probably just throws the yuckies away. :)

Baker
02-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Grape-Nuts before or after the instant they go from rock to mush?

I ate Grape Nuts dry.:p

Seriously, I never put milk on any of my cereals, especially flaked ones. I hated how you'd have to hurry up and eat it before it got mushy. I preferred to eat cereal slowly.

Czarcasm
02-14-2013, 09:26 PM
I ate Grape Nuts dry.:p

Seriously, I never put milk on any of my cereals, especially flaked ones. I hated how you'd have to hurry up and eat it before it got mushy. I preferred to eat cereal slowly.Grape-Nuts dry? How did you prevent choking or cracking your teeth?

kaylasdad99
02-14-2013, 09:41 PM
The original, or one of the many varieties currently available?Original oat flavor only. Glazing them with nut-infused honey (or other flavors) is gilding the lily, AFAIAC.

handsomeharry
02-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Absolute worst: Corn Pops.
Best: Raisin Bran.

medstar
02-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Best: Cracklin' Oat Bran--don't laugh, I would eat it as a snack. It's either a bad breakfast or a healthy dessert in my opinion.

Worst: Rice Krispies, no flavor whatsoever.

SCAdian
02-14-2013, 11:30 PM
I've loved Special K since I was a kid. The original version was all that was available then, of course, but I also like the "Red Berries" version.
I also like Frosted Mini-Wheats and (as long as I can eat it before it turns to mush) Raisin Bran.

The worst, I suppose, would be corn flakes.

VOW
02-15-2013, 03:30 AM
I've actually enjoyed plain ol' corn flakes!

A long, long (LONG!) time ago, there was a Kellogg's cereal called "Concentrate." It was so full of vitamins and minerals and healthiness, I think one serving was a tablespoon or two. I loved that stuff, and would eat a BOWLFUL.

Worst? Either All-Bran, or Lucky Charms. I'd rather eat kitty litter than Lucky Charms.

~VOW

Blue Mood
02-15-2013, 05:23 AM
A long, long (LONG!) time ago, there was a Kellogg's cereal called "Concentrate." It was so full of vitamins and minerals and healthiness, I think one serving was a tablespoon or two. I loved that stuff, and would eat a BOWLFUL.

Concentrate (http://www.mrbreakfast.com/cereal_detail.asp?id=1143) was definitely my favourite. Now I like Alpha-Bits or Life.

Worst: puffed rice.

nachtmusick
02-16-2013, 01:22 AM
Simple hot oatmeal with brown sugar and whatever the hell else I decide to throw in is the best.

The worst is Roman Meal, which my abusive parents used to try and feed me and my siblings. We would not eat it, even at the threat of corporal punishment. They had to stop feeding it to us or risk stunting our development. It tasted like ground-up bricks.

Spoons
02-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Another vote for corn flakes as the best. A very close second would be the Shredded Wheat biscuits. A big Shredded Wheat biscuit with some brown sugar and milk (as well as toast, juice, and coffee) is a fine breakfast indeed.

FairyChatMom
02-16-2013, 06:16 AM
Corn Chex is probably my favorite, and anything sugar-coated, frosted, marshmallowed or similarly overly sweet is to be avoided at all costs.

I used to love Team flakes, but I don't think they're made any longer. But, in the grand scheme of things, I'm not much for breakfast cereals - just not my breakfast of choice.

longhair75
02-16-2013, 09:02 AM
I absolutely agree with our friend FairyChatMom. Sweetened cereals are not for me.

My go to cereal is Basic 4.

Proudest Monkey
02-16-2013, 06:11 PM
My current, middle-aged, boring lineup is a rotation of
Crispix
Raisin Bran
Oatmeal

I keep a ziplock bag of Kellogg's Krave in my desk for a crunchy snack, and enjoy Multi-Grain Cheerios the same way.

There was a cereal available in the 80s (?) called Raisin Squares which were small, shredded wheat-type biscuits with smashed up raisins inside. Oooh, they were so good! Kellogg's, maybe?

Don't like Grape Nuts, All Bran, sugary flakes, dried berries, ball-shaped cereal, or Cap'n Palate Shredder.

Chronos
02-16-2013, 06:35 PM
I usually eat either Life or generic honey flakes (Honey Bunches of Oats-type thing), with occasional honey nut Cheerios, raisin bran, or frosted mini-wheats for variety. But the absolute best was maple-flavored Life. Unfortunately, I must have been a minority opinion on that one, because I can't find it anywhere any more.

Chronos
02-16-2013, 06:36 PM
Oh, and

There was a cereal available in the 80s (?) called Raisin Squares which were small, shredded wheat-type biscuits with smashed up raisins inside. Oooh, they were so good! Kellogg's, maybe?Raisin Squares was good, but they also had other varieties with other fruits that were even better.

papergirl
02-16-2013, 07:45 PM
I like the store brand Frosted Mini Wheats, or occasionally I can find one called Mom's Best for .99/box. Awesome! I also like Crunchy Raisin Bran or some similar concoction.
I used to love a cereal that was shaped like little pieces of toast...Cinnamon Toast Crunch, maybe? It was tasty right out of the box. Crap, but tasty.
I've gotten some free overly-healthy stuff at the food bank on occasion that even the dogs wouldn't eat.

Sudden Kestrel
02-17-2013, 12:15 AM
But the absolute best was maple-flavored Life. Unfortunately, I must have been a minority opinion on that one, because I can't find it anywhere any more.

I loved that cereal too. I bought several boxes over a month or so and then they stopped selling it. I had almost convinced myself I imagined it.

Sunshine and Smiles
02-17-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm with papergirl on the Cinnamon Toast Crunch (if indeed that's what she means). Little cinnamon sugar-dusted squares of crunchy goodness. Provide for the absolute best tasting milk after the cereal's gone.

I also like cinnamon Life, Applejacks, Golden Crisp, all varieties of Cap'n Crunch.... I could keep going.

Bonus points go to seasonal (or at least just rare - I can usually only find boxes around Halloween) favorites Boo Berry and Frankenberry - Count Chocula's fruitier friends.

John Mace
02-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Grape-Nuts before or after the instant they go from rock to mush?
I hated all cereals growing up precisely because the "mush factor".

But I do like Grape Nuts, and when I eat them I simply use two bowls-- one for the cereal and one for the milk. You spoon up some Nuts, dunk it in the milk bowl, and you never get mush. This can, of course, be used with any cereal.

My favorite cereal, though, was that granola cereal (can't remember it's name!) that I think was made by Quaker. It had a lot of sugar, which is probably one of the reasons it tasted good. It was quasi-healthy if you ignored the sugar.

Proudest Monkey
02-17-2013, 04:40 PM
My favorite cereal, though, was that granola cereal (can't remember it's name!) that I think was made by Quaker. It had a lot of sugar, which is probably one of the reasons it tasted good. It was quasi-healthy if you ignored the sugar.

Was it C.W. Post? I recall it being my first brush with granola. Sweet, fatty and delicious right out of the box.

Ethilrist
02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Favorite: Raisin Bran.

Worst: As Esprix once put it, "Man, that second bowl of Kap'n Krunch will eff your mouth up..."

Czarcasm
02-17-2013, 05:20 PM
I hated all cereals growing up precisely because the "mush factor".

But I do like Grape Nuts, and when I eat them I simply use two bowls-- one for the cereal and one for the milk. You spoon up some Nuts, dunk it in the milk bowl, and you never get mush. This can, of course, be used with any cereal.Brilliant! I dub thee John "Two Bowls" Mace

John Mace
02-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Was it C.W. Post? I recall it being my first brush with granola. Sweet, fatty and delicious right out of the box.

I think it was Quaker 100% Natural, but I'm not certain. It wasn't CW Post.

Esprix
05-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Favorite: Raisin Bran.

Worst: As Esprix once put it, "Man, that second bowl of Kap'n Krunch will eff your mouth up..."

Holy crap will it! ;)

Esprix

Idle Thoughts
05-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Best: Banana Nut Crunch
Worst: Raisin Bran

I hate raisins.

Czarcasm
05-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Holy crap will it! ;)

EsprixIt's one of those cereals that's better(relatively speaking) soggy than fresh.

Prof. Pepperwinkle
05-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Another vote FOR Kellogg's Raisin Bran, and
Another vote AGAINST the dreaded Grape Nuts.

BrotherCadfael
05-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Lucky Charms first came out when I was just in the target demographic.

Now, nearly fifty years later, I still love 'em.

Moonchild
05-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Absolute worst: Corn Pops.
Best: Raisin Bran.

Was cooler in the '70s when they were still called Sugar Pops. At least they were honest about it!

Speak to me Maddie!
05-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Best - Frosted Mini-Wheats

Worst - Fruity Pebbles (aka Smurf scabs)

woodstockbirdybird
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Best: Frosted Mini-Wheats or Special K.
Worst: Cinnamon Toast Crunch (I think this was the one). The only cereal that ever made me gag. The shit is actually fuzzy.

Labrador Deceiver
05-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Hard to pick a favorite. Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Frosted Flakes, etc. all hold so much nostalgia value for me. I also love crunching away on Grape Nuts.

Least favorite are the ones that turn mushy almost instantly - any of the Mini Wheats, All-Bran, old-school Raisin Bran, etc.

astorian
05-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Best:

Count Chocula (only sold seasonally, around Halloween)
Life
Cocoa Puffs

Worst:

Apple Jacks
Peanut Butter Captain Crunch
Grape Nuts

Ponch8
05-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Best: Kellogg's Mueslix. Sadly, it's become extremely hard to find (although it still exists on Kellogg's website). I haven't seen it in the store in years. Post Great Grains with raisins and dates is a pretty good substitute.

Worst: plain shredded wheat (i.e., sawdust), plain Cheerios, and honey nut Cheerios. I used to call honey nut Cheerios "vomit Cheerios" because they sucked so much.

Inner Stickler
05-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Best: Cinnamon Life

Worst: I don't remember what it was called but it was at an aunt's house and not only did it taste like eating twigs off a tree, it looked and had a name reminiscent of twigs.

But my favorite breakfast food is something granola-y sprinkled on yogurt.

teela brown
05-21-2013, 05:11 PM

"Quaker 100% Natural Granola."

Back in the day, it was loaded with coconut oil, too, which was terrible for your cholesterol level. In the 1970s, a neighbor lady ate it by the quart, because of its health claims. She died in 1981 of a heart attack.

I tend to love all the boring healthy ones: Grape-Nuts, Shredded Wheat, Sugar-free Muesli, etc. And the not-so-healthy Kashi Go-Lean Crunch.

I disliked Sugar Crisp as a kid, despite all the sugar. They tended to go slimy in milk right away.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.