PDA

View Full Version : I have Dish and missed season 5 of "Breaking Bad"

kath94
02-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure I'm not the only person in this predicament. I have Dish Network, which dumped AMC before the first half of season 5 of Breaking Bad premiered. :mad: Now that the dust has settled & Dish has once again picked up AMC, I can't figure out how to get caught up before the second half of the season starts again.

It doesn't seem to be scheduled for air. It's not available on the AMC web site. It's not available on Netflix.

Does anyone know if AMC plans to rebroadcast the first half of the season in preparation for the second half? The hubby & I have been watching this show from the beginning, and our last exposure was "Face Off." Don't just leave us hanging!!

edwards_beard
02-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Amazon Instant Video has Season Five available

Hockey Monkey
02-15-2013, 01:15 PM
In all likelyhood, they will air the previous episodes of the season before resuming.

Amateur Barbarian
02-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Both Vudu and Amazon Instant tend to have TV shows immediately after first showing. You can buy "season passes" for a slight discount and always have the next episode waiting. It's a viable alternative to paying $50-100 a month for cable if you only watch a select list of shows.

If your TV or disc player don't stream one or both, either upgrade the latter or add a Roku box. Much easier (IMHO) than trying to do it with a computer.

kath94
02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the replies & suggestions. I really hate :mad: to spend yet more money when I already have Dish & Netflix streaming, but I'll consider it.

I'll keep an eye out for the start of the remainder of the season, and if it doesn't look like AMC is going to replay the first half, I'll bit the bullet!

Henna
02-15-2013, 02:39 PM
I watched the first episode of season 5 on AMC at 5:00 in the morning on February 11. The second episode at season 5 is going to be aired on AMC at 4:30 a.m. on February 19.

solost
02-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Try your local library. I came late to watching it and caught up with the first 3 seasons by checking out whole-season DVD sets from our library. Free!

Edit: the first half of season 5 is probably not out on DVD yet. Sorry, didn't think it through.

Amateur Barbarian
02-15-2013, 03:27 PM
The entire process by which channels produce, air and market seasons seems to be somewhere between loopy and batshit insane. Even if you think of Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead etc. as pure commodity, something to extract the maximum dollar from,* this process of half-seasons, delayed DVD/streaming renewal, season part one rerun scheduling, etc. makes no sense at all.

In particular, waiting until the week before a new season to release the prior season's DVD set is hair-tearingly stupid. As is waiting until just before a season part 2 rolls, and doing a "marathon" of the first half-season in a way that no one can realistically watch it before the new eps, even with a DVR. It seems like they could extract more money, get better audience satisfaction and retain/build a bigger audience by being more sensible about reruns and disc releases.

* which they are; other interpretations are as quaint as spats and monocles

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.