PDA

View Full Version : Fiddle Faddle

NadaHappyCamper
02-16-2013, 08:44 PM
What, if any , is the difference between a violin and a fiddle?

Zeldar
02-16-2013, 08:46 PM
I asked a violinist this very thing not too long ago. Her answer was that a violin has strings and a fiddle has strangs.

WhyNot
02-16-2013, 08:55 PM
I asked a fiddler once. He said about $50,000 of student loan debt.

As the term "fiddle" is used in the US, there is no difference in the instrument itself, just the style of playing it. "Fiddle" can refer to other stringed instruments in other countries, but not so much here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddle

missred
02-16-2013, 09:06 PM
You carry a violin in a case. You carry a fiddle in a gunny sack.

(I'll be here all week. Try the possum. :D)

silenus
02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
It's hard to violin about.

WhyNot
02-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Yet sex and fiddles is quite fun!

Gatopescado
02-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Depends where yer standin'.

scabpicker
02-16-2013, 11:22 PM
To echo WhyNot, it's pretty much defined by how much you play in a pentatonic scale, do slurs, and play chords. If you don't do them very often, you're probably a violinist. If you spend most of your time doing them, you're probably a fiddler. If you have a steel guitar in the band, it almost doesn't matter how you play. You're almost certainly a fiddler.

VOW
02-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Ah, crap. I thought this thread was gonna be about caramel corn!

~VOW

Oakminster
02-17-2013, 03:16 AM
Legend has it that at least one fiddler, suitably equipped with said instrument, is required if one plans to play in Texas.

Biggirl
02-17-2013, 09:55 AM

~VOW

You are not the only one. I came here to kvetch about how awful Cracker Jack is and how, in my area at least, Crunch 'n Munch has taken over the market.

araminty
02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
You can spill beer on a fiddle.

C. Montgomery Burns
02-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Tuning and technique, mostly.

Chronos
02-17-2013, 01:06 PM
I think there's also a tendency for fiddles to be steel-strung, while violins are usually strung with gut or some reasonable approximation thereof. Though of course, exceptions abound.

Atomic Mama
02-17-2013, 02:38 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about the popcorn confection :mad:

Gary T
02-17-2013, 05:14 PM
What, if any , is the difference between a violin and a fiddle?
A friend of mine played fiddle. His father played violin in an orchestra. I asked him this question and he said...

"The kind of music you play on it."

Seriously.

As a corollary, fiddlers tend to play by ear -- most/many can't read sheet music -- and use open strings any chance they get. Violinists tend to play from sheet music -- most/many can't readily play by ear -- and would eat a slug before playing an open string.

Rhiannon8404
02-17-2013, 06:04 PM

I did, too.

My son plays fiddle and violin. On the same instrument. It's mostly what you play and how you play it.

gwendee
02-17-2013, 06:13 PM
You are not the only one. I came here to kvetch about how awful Cracker Jack is and how, in my area at least, Crunch 'n Munch has taken over the market.

We need a separate thread. What I wouldn't give for a box of Screaming Yellow Zonkers!

Chronos
02-17-2013, 07:48 PM
"Open string" meaning without pressing on the frets, so you get the full length of the string?

EmilyG
02-17-2013, 08:42 PM
"Open string" meaning without pressing on the frets, so you get the full length of the string?

Correct. Except that fiddles/violins don't have frets.

NadaHappyCamper
02-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Manny Thanks for the knowledge

Always expect the unexpected

california jobcase
02-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Crunch N' Munch? Fiddle Faddle? Poppycock!! The best popcorn treat ever was Screaming Yellow Zonkers! (oh- Gwendee beat me to it-)

Robot Arm
02-17-2013, 11:48 PM
Correct. Except that fiddles/violins don't have frets.That's why you have to practice the violin for eight years before you can even stand to listen to yourself.

scabpicker
02-18-2013, 01:04 AM
That's why you have to practice the violin for eight years before you can even stand to listen to yourself.

And don't you dare quit for 12 years. Because when you come back to it, you'll end up playing fiddle instead of violin. :D

panache45
02-18-2013, 08:57 AM

Or that Leroy Anderson piece.

Zeldar
02-18-2013, 09:54 AM

~VOW

I did, too.

My son plays fiddle and violin. On the same instrument. It's mostly what you play and how you play it.

We need a separate thread. What I wouldn't give for a box of Screaming Yellow Zonkers!

Crunch N' Munch? Fiddle Faddle? Poppycock!! The best popcorn treat ever was Screaming Yellow Zonkers! (oh- Gwendee beat me to it-)

If it matters in the grand scheme of things that "Fiddle Faddle" can remind one of, consider Ella Mae Morse-Hoodle Addle Capitol Records-78 . (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOUQ67am_nQ)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.