PDA

View Full Version : Is Ghost Adventures on the travel channel real or fake?

Pooty
02-17-2013, 04:11 AM
Ghost Adventures is on every Friday night at 8:00 central standard time on the travel channel. I love that show but I would like to know what everyone thinks about it. Do you think its real? Have you ever seen a ghost or spirit?

Foggy
02-17-2013, 09:08 AM
I have never seen that show, so I can't comment about it.
Everything I know about ghosts & spirits is that they don't exist.

doorhinge
02-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Ghost Adventures is on every Friday night at 8:00 central standard time on the travel channel. I love that show but I would like to know what everyone thinks about it. Do you think its real? Have you ever seen a ghost or spirit?

The show is real. The ghosts and spirits are fake. :D

People will travel to locations that claim to have ghosts or big foot(s) (big feet?). If a show incourages travel, then the travel channel will air it.

drewtwo99
02-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Since ghosts and spirits just flat out don't exist, what do you think?

cmyk
02-17-2013, 02:53 PM
These types of shows are a peeve of mine, and they're becoming ever more popular on cable channels.

They're shows that are only for the credulous and gullible to capture more ratings. Sure, it might be fun to watch if you like that sort of thing, but the world is still short on healthy skepticism to justify it on any other ground. When this bullshit becomes this sensationalized, people I know and love fall prey to its fantasy.

As usual, it's easier to make a buck off of appealing to suckers than producing intellectually honest content.

Remember when TLC meant The Learning Channel? Hahaha.

Tollhouse
02-17-2013, 03:38 PM
There are alot of people who claim they have either seen or had some contact with a spirit...in some cultures such as native Americans its considered really off to not accept spirits as a reality

colander
02-17-2013, 04:06 PM
There are alot of people who claim they have either seen or had some contact with a spirit...in some cultures such as native Americans its considered really off to not accept spirits as a reality

That's so true! I have a friend who is part Lakota and she told me a story that chilled me to the bone. Every morning before school she sits down at the breakfast table for a nice big bowl of Cracklin' Oat Bran. But one morning before breakfast, her brother and her decided to play a Ouija game on the breakfast table! That was her critical mistake. She asked the Great Spirit to Ouija-link her to White Buffalo Spirit. And ever since then, whenever she pours milk onto her Cracklin' Oats, within about fifteen minutes the milk disappears! Not only that, but the Oat Cracklin's grow to 1.5 times their original size. Explain that, skeptics!

(you can't cuz it's ghosts)

IvoryTowerDenizen
02-17-2013, 04:07 PM
It depends on which aspect of the show is real or fake.

Are the places they go to reputed to be 'haunted' or is it all a set up?

Does the crew believe that they're really hunting ghosts or do they know its all fake?

Any spirits they find must be fakes, but they might actually believe in what they're doing, so in that sense it might be 'real'.

Meatros
02-17-2013, 05:06 PM

I would truly like to believe that ghosts existed, but I just find the evidence underwhelming. In that vein, the show is a fake. That said, it was either this how or one just like it where they "created" ghosts fraudulently.

dropzone
02-17-2013, 05:16 PM
She asked the Great Spirit to Ouija-link her to White Buffalo Spirit.I was at a flea market where one booth had a mounted head of a white buffalo. Wife wouldn't let me buy it, not wanting White Buffalo bothering us, but then again, when that white buffalo was born in Wisconsin in '92 she felt a period of peace and prosperity would eventually follow. :rolleyes: There are times she makes an even worse Lutheran than I do.

Tollhouse
02-17-2013, 05:28 PM
To Native americans, we seem incredibly ignorant

colander
02-17-2013, 05:35 PM

If that is true, I somehow doubt it has very much to do with our lack of belief in ghosts or their adventures.

I Love Me, Vol. I
02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
There are alot of people who claim they have either seen or had some contact with a spirit...in some cultures such as native Americans its considered really off to not accept spirits as a realityIs the traditional Native American notion of a "spirit" the same as the "ghosts" presented on TV shows such as the one mentioned in the OP?

My guess is no (though I really don't know for sure, and Native Americans are, of course, a very diverse population).

DocCathode
02-17-2013, 06:42 PM

How's the quote from Malcolm In The Middle go?

" Oh, I see! Because I'm an Indian I must dance with the wind and speak with the spirits? I got news for ya pal! I'm a Methodist and I'm proud of it! And I got one word for snow- snow!"

To put it another way, you seem to have placed Native Americans on some pedestal as noble beings who live in harmony with the environment and are wise in all things.

They're just human beings.

Batsinma Belfry
02-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Is the traditional Native American notion of a "spirit" the same as the "ghosts" presented on TV shows such as the one mentioned in the OP?

My guess is no (though I really don't know for sure, and Native Americans are, of course, a very diverse population).

Native American "spirits," are not dead people. There may be Native Americans who believe in that type of "ghosts," but their traditional "spirits," are believed to be from a different realm. Also, with other Pagan beliefs, around the world.

Lucas Jackson
02-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Ghosts don't exist but what I came here to say is that I'm tickled that the first two posters are Pooty & Foggy.

Tollhouse
02-17-2013, 07:25 PM
According to some material I came across almost all Native Americans hold a belief in the afterlife....they engage in some very sacred and specific ceremonies after a death, which (in part) is intended to help ease the spirit of the deceased away from the earth plane, another interesting fact is they will be careful not to use the name of the deceased, but instead refer to the person as a loved one or other general description. Tey believe that if the deceased hear their name said, it draws them back to the earth plane.

Duckster
02-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Getting back to the OP, if people are dubious of Ghost Adventures don't watch Ghost Mine. The "investigators" of the latter show are a joke.

Meatros
02-17-2013, 08:23 PM

" Oh, I see! Because I'm an Indian I must dance with the wind and speak with the spirits? I got news for ya pal! I'm a Methodist and I'm proud of it! And I got one word for snow- snow!"

To put it another way, you seem to have placed Native Americans on some pedestal as noble beings who live in harmony with the environment and are wise in all things.

They're just human beings.

It's posts like this that makes me wish this board supported a rep system. :-)

Tollhouse
02-17-2013, 09:08 PM
I don't think I said they are "wise in all things"....and of course, they are human..

bup
02-17-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't think I said they are "wise in all things"....and of course, they are human.....and comprise hundreds of cultures.

Saying "they all believe in an afterlife" is like saying "all Europeans believe in an afterlife" because every culture ever in history has had religion.

Tollhouse
02-18-2013, 12:07 AM
What I read said the majority or most of them do ..I think in my post I wrote almost all and I don't think its a very good comparison (native Americans to all Europeans and every religion that existed) native Americans are not nearly as large a group as all of Europe and every religion.. Of course there are different tribes but they share most of the same primary or basic beliefs.

aruvqan
02-18-2013, 12:24 AM
r big foot(s) (big feet?).
squatch ...

Great Ghu i hate that commercial. He sounds like a total moron.

Batsinma Belfry
02-18-2013, 01:12 AM
Getting back to the OP, if people are dubious of Ghost Adventures don't watch Ghost Mine. The "investigators" of the latter show are a joke.

The miners are a joke too. There's no way, the whole thing is not scripted.

Smeghead
02-18-2013, 05:58 AM
According to some material I came across almost all Native Americans hold a belief in the afterlife....they engage in some very sacred and specific ceremonies after a death, which (in part) is intended to help ease the spirit of the deceased away from the earth plane, another interesting fact is they will be careful not to use the name of the deceased, but instead refer to the person as a loved one or other general description. Tey believe that if the deceased hear their name said, it draws them back to the earth plane.

So?

We have a guy here who believes that every event on this planet is planned and manipulated by a secret society of ill-defined super-powerful people.

Just because someone believes something don't make it true.

SuperNelson
02-18-2013, 06:51 AM
I've only seen a few episodes, but my sister in law is a big fan. A couple of years ago, my wife and I joined her sisters and their husbands at one of the Ghost Adventurer's weekend events at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. The six of us treated it with varying degrees of skepticism, ranging from complete belief to outright disbelief, agreeing to disagree but not argue about it.

Zac and Aaron were there, along with that couple who does EVP recordings, a guy who specialized in EMF recordings, Dave Schrader from Darkness Radio, and my personal favorite, Jeff Ballanger. The speakers tended to skew towards the absolute believers, but the general tone seemed to follow the EVP guy who said, "do ghosts exist? I don't know, but people are seeing something, and in some places, different people tend to see the same things over and over again. And if we can learn why, I'd like to know."

All in all, it was an interesting weekend, and a lot of fun. I'd never been to the Stanley before, which is a really neat old hotel, made richer by it's reputation and association with Steven King. The tours took us down into the bowels of the hotel, in hand dug foundations, and some of the guest rooms with a history, including the infamous room 217.

It would be easy to say that we each saw what we expected to see. My sister in law is certain that something touched her down in the foundations, and she has a recording of what she is certain are voices. Another sister in law demonstrated her deep seated born again Christian beliefs, at one point actually saying "get behind me, Satan." As for me, I expected to see a mix of true believers and outright hucksters, but I was surprised to find a couple of self-professed skeptics in the mix.

At the end, I'd say it was a lot of fun. And the hallway of the Stanley, at two in the morning, with most of the lights off, when the wind outside is gusting and the building is groaning back at it, is an amazingly eerie place.

lost4life
02-18-2013, 07:48 AM
That's so true! I have a friend who is part Lakota and she told me a story that chilled me to the bone. Every morning before school she sits down at the breakfast table for a nice big bowl of Cracklin' Oat Bran. But one morning before breakfast, her brother and her decided to play a Ouija game on the breakfast table! That was her critical mistake. She asked the Great Spirit to Ouija-link her to White Buffalo Spirit. And ever since then, whenever she pours milk onto her Cracklin' Oats, within about fifteen minutes the milk disappears! Not only that, but the Oat Cracklin's grow to 1.5 times their original size. Explain that, skeptics!

(you can't cuz it's ghosts)

[Bender] It was ghosts...Big ones!

I once met a member of the TAPS ghost hunter squad thing at a local bar. He seemed to enjoy talking to us because we had no idea who he was. He told us some local group brought him in to visit a cemetery or something that was haunted, but I swear he was almost rolling his eyes as he said it. Seemed like he rather be doing anything else than ghost hunting with these people. Poor career choice I guess.

ralph124c
02-18-2013, 08:11 AM
How come all of these "events" take place in the dark? Whats so special about darkness-do the spirits like this?

kenobi 65
02-18-2013, 09:57 AM
How come all of these "events" take place in the dark? Whats so special about darkness-do the spirits like this?

Because IR filming (in shadowy black-and-white, with everyone's eyes glowing eerily) is spooooooky.

aruvqan
02-18-2013, 12:07 PM
[Bender] It was ghosts...Big ones!

I once met a member of the TAPS ghost hunter squad thing at a local bar. He seemed to enjoy talking to us because we had no idea who he was. He told us some local group brought him in to visit a cemetery or something that was haunted, but I swear he was almost rolling his eyes as he said it. Seemed like he rather be doing anything else than ghost hunting with these people. Poor career choice I guess.
No, probably because "just because it is a cemetery/old house/whatever the fuck does NOT mean it is automatically haunted.

Look, think of it this way - just because a house is old [say pre WW1 in age] it will most likely have had someone die in it. Yet you do not hear from everybody who lives in one that they are all haunted. Heck, I lived in a WW1 era ex-Navy housing area in a house that was built in 1919 and I can pretty much guarantee that someone died it it [the little old lady's kids were the ones that put the house on the market] and I will state categorically while it did have creaks and groans of old housing construction, it was NOT haunted. Just because there were indians in an area, and there is a gravesite or full on graveyard does not mean that there will be indians haunting the area.

The guy was probably tired of all these little local groups figuring that some place was haunted just because it was a graveyard, or an old creaky house with a local reputation. How would you like to spend half your time traveling and away from your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend because you are the low person on the Ghostbusting totempole and have to go out and check to see if it is worth turning into a full on GhostHunters episode? There has *got* to be some familial 'agro' from being away all the time.

Fear Itself
02-18-2013, 12:14 PM
The vast majority (68%) of Dopers who answer polls do not believe in ghosts or spirits:

Poll: Have you ever had a spiritual, paranormal or religious experience? (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=625053)

Tollhouse
02-18-2013, 09:37 PM

Just because someone believes something don't make it true.

this statement applies both ways...

Jragon
02-19-2013, 01:28 AM
These types of shows are a peeve of mine, and they're becoming ever more popular on cable channels.

They're shows that are only for the credulous and gullible to capture more ratings. Sure, it might be fun to watch if you like that sort of thing, but the world is still short on healthy skepticism to justify it on any other ground. When this bullshit becomes this sensationalized, people I know and love fall prey to its fantasy.

As usual, it's easier to make a buck off of appealing to suckers than producing intellectually honest content.

Remember when TLC meant The Learning Channel? Hahaha.

Ghost Hunters was actually pretty good for, like, the first two seasons. Then they started pandering to the crowd and the show decayed. Hard.

lost4life
02-19-2013, 07:57 AM
No, probably because "just because it is a cemetery/old house/whatever the fuck does NOT mean it is automatically haunted.

Look, think of it this way - just because a house is old [say pre WW1 in age] it will most likely have had someone die in it. Yet you do not hear from everybody who lives in one that they are all haunted. Heck, I lived in a WW1 era ex-Navy housing area in a house that was built in 1919 and I can pretty much guarantee that someone died it it [the little old lady's kids were the ones that put the house on the market] and I will state categorically while it did have creaks and groans of old housing construction, it was NOT haunted. Just because there were indians in an area, and there is a gravesite or full on graveyard does not mean that there will be indians haunting the area.

The guy was probably tired of all these little local groups figuring that some place was haunted just because it was a graveyard, or an old creaky house with a local reputation. How would you like to spend half your time traveling and away from your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend because you are the low person on the Ghostbusting totempole and have to go out and check to see if it is worth turning into a full on GhostHunters episode? There has *got* to be some familial 'agro' from being away all the time.

That was my point with the career choice. If you don't want to deal with goofy people seeing ghosts everywhere they look, maybe a TV ghost hunter is not the best career path :)

Yumblie
02-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Both ways? What's the other way? Just because someone DOESN'T believe in something, DOES make it true? That's kind of an absurd statement.

Mr. Miskatonic
02-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Practically every historical location seems to 'grow' a ghost. It gets people in who otherwise might not be interested in old house architecture. I'm also sorry to say that some of the folks who work at historical places tend to be a bit more gullible than the average doper.

My personal favorites were the (now defunct) General Wayne Inn ghosts who defied clothing standards of the era (as well as troop placement). As well as the folks who insisted that there were 17th century ghosts in Pennsbury Manor -not realizing that the place is a rebuild from the 30's.

well he's back
02-19-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't believe in ghosts; everything about the ghosts is fake.

Strainger
02-19-2013, 01:09 PM
I always forget the name of the show, and end up referring to it as Haunted Douchebags, mainly because of the lead guy's ridiculous Ed Hardy t-shirts and front-spike (whatever it's called) hair style.

I do like the Ransom Riggs-ish "abandoned shit" aspect of the show--the history behind the places they visit, what happened, what's left behind, etc. It would be nice if someone came up with a show covering this aspect of it without all the woo. They could call the show Abandoned Shit. Actually, the more technical term would be "Urban Exploration" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_exploration), but I like the name "Abandoned Shit."

According to some material I came across almost all Native Americans hold a belief in the afterlife....they engage in some very sacred and specific ceremonies after a death, which (in part) is intended to help ease the spirit of the deceased away from the earth plane, another interesting fact is they will be careful not to use the name of the deceased, but instead refer to the person as a loved one or other general description. Tey believe that if the deceased hear their name said, it draws them back to the earth plane.Yes, yes. We Have Much To Learn From Them. There's someone here I'd like to introduce you to, but last I heard she's preggers and taken.

Smeghead
02-19-2013, 01:42 PM

Ah, a riposte that sounds deeply profound, yet is actually completely meaningless.

bup
02-19-2013, 02:56 PM
My personal favorites were the (now defunct) General Wayne Inn ghosts who defied clothing standards of the era (as well as troop placement). I googled and remember seeing that place on a tv show. I guess that was before one owner murdered the other, a girl committed suicide, and, as only wikipedia can state it:
Her suicide was never solved:eek: :p

aruvqan
02-19-2013, 11:21 PM
That was my point with the career choice. If you don't want to deal with goofy people seeing ghosts everywhere they look, maybe a TV ghost hunter is not the best career path :)
Or perhaps he would actually like to spend more time on locations where there is actually a high possibility of ghosts.

Look, I drive past a small graveyard of maybe 100 feet by 100 feet, and probably 70 or 80 graves, dating to about 1730-1780. I used to work an odd shift, getting out at 11 PM or so, sometimes as late as midnight, and it took an hour to drive home. In the 2 years I worked that shift, I *never* ever saw anything to incline me to thinking to thinking it was haunted, though we frequently get people staking it out claiming there are ghosts there. I love the idea of finding ghosts, I knew Ed Warren when he was still alive and active, and I know Lorraine Warren [lovely lovely lady, I hate the actress they get to play her in the recreations most of the time.] My family has even had several interesting encounters in one of the family homes. I am firmly of the belief that most people wouldn't know a real ghost if it came up and gave them a wedgie.
Practically every historical location seems to 'grow' a ghost. It gets people in who otherwise might not be interested in old house architecture. I'm also sorry to say that some of the folks who work at historical places tend to be a bit more gullible than the average doper.

My personal favorites were the (now defunct) General Wayne Inn ghosts who defied clothing standards of the era (as well as troop placement). As well as the folks who insisted that there were 17th century ghosts in Pennsbury Manor -not realizing that the place is a rebuild from the 30's.
I have issues with the nephew of Ed and Lorraine Warren and his Haunted Collector (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_Collector) show. I grew up around antiques, my mom was an antique dealer, and I have an intense interest in history. I find myself really having an issue about the gross misidentification of items, and the absolute bullshit going on - if it were really true that pretty much any random antique he decides is definitely the center of the haunting and he *has* to take it out and keep it safely .... :dubious: But then again, I am not overly impressed by the researchers that work for most of the shows.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
02-20-2013, 04:36 AM
You cannot get Jedi Powers by buying Star Wars junk, you cannot get spirituality at the Mall no matter how many crystals you buy, and you will never see ghosts on the travel channel.
Unless your signal is fuzzy.

kaylasdad99
02-20-2013, 10:41 AM
I was at a flea market where one booth had a mounted head of a white buffalo. Wife wouldn't let me buy it, not wanting White Buffalo bothering us, but then again, when that white buffalo was born in Wisconsin in '92 she felt a period of peace and prosperity would eventually follow. :rolleyes: There are times she makes an even worse Lutheran than I do.Wait.

Did the old Gypsy woman* at the flea market TELL you when the white buffalo whose head you were contemplating buying was BORN?

And your wife REMEMBERED haw she felt at that time TWENTY-ONE years ago?

*Or wise old Indian woman (voice by Linda Hunt; supervising animator, Chris Buck).

Lemur866
02-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Of course there are different tribes but they share most of the same primary or basic beliefs.

No they don't.

kaylasdad99
02-20-2013, 11:20 AM

Pretty close. He's Baptist. (last quote for the episode) (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Malcolm_in_the_Middle#.22Cynthia.27s_Back.22_.5B3.14.5D)

ralph124c
02-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Hey-don't laugh-a couple was able to get out of a real estate contract to buy an old house in Nyack, NY (it was allegedly haunted). The judge told the sellers that they had to refund the buyer's money-should have told them the place was haunted.

aruvqan
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Hey-don't laugh-a couple was able to get out of a real estate contract to buy an old house in Nyack, NY (it was allegedly haunted). The judge told the sellers that they had to refund the buyer's money-should have told them the place was haunted.
Hell, make that the first line of the listing, there are a bunch of people who actively want to buy or rent haunted properties.

I would be first in line to buy the Sharon Tate house if it was still there [it was torn down and something else built there. I have seen pictures of the original house, and it was a great midcentury modern.] I would seriously buy the Amityville Horror house [if I wanted to live on Long Island, that is] because pretty much everybody involved has come out and stated it was a fraud [and I like dutch colonial architecture, and it has a boathouse and a dock!] I wouldn't live in the Winchester Mystery Mansion, too big, it would need a cadre of maids to keep the blasted thing clean, but I would vacation there if they turned it into a bed and breakfast.

Jragon
02-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Hell, make that the first line of the listing, there are a bunch of people who actively want to buy or rent haunted properties.

I would be first in line to buy the Sharon Tate house if it was still there [it was torn down and something else built there. I have seen pictures of the original house, and it was a great midcentury modern.] I would seriously buy the Amityville Horror house [if I wanted to live on Long Island, that is] because pretty much everybody involved has come out and stated it was a fraud [and I like dutch colonial architecture, and it has a boathouse and a dock!] I wouldn't live in the Winchester Mystery Mansion, too big, it would need a cadre of maids to keep the blasted thing clean, but I would vacation there if they turned it into a bed and breakfast.

I'm not sure I could stand to live in the Amityville house. Not because of ghosts, oh no. There's a far worse force at play there: tourists.

lost4life
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Or perhaps he would actually like to spend more time on locations where there is actually a high possibility of ghosts....

Or, you know, not.

Oslo Ostragoth
02-20-2013, 06:28 PM

Some of those places make a lot of money from ghost tours, although I've never seen any numbers.

Cobra6911
05-27-2013, 11:28 PM
I think it is real to a certain extent. I have had encounters with ghosts orr spirits. Even
my wife, who is a sceptic, has had encounters with dead relitives from time to time. It has not totally changed her mind, but she is left in a state of not being able to explain it
either. Other members of my family have had experiences with Ghosts they could not explain. I know,, it sounds off the wall but, I truly believe in the after life and their ability to contact us from time to time.

viper8450
06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Ghost adventures fake or real ? All I have is the ghost are real. Me and my 12 year old son love the show. My son wanted a voice recorder for Xmas so I went and payed for 2 of them at a cost of 49.95 each. one for him and one for me. We went to an old house and me not thinking they were real. I started provoking just like Zac does on the show. What a shock I got when I played back what the recorders picked up. I'm 45 years of age and now I'm rethinking everything that I was raised to believe. I now have an sb7 sprite box and lots of evp's. Try it out for your self if you have the nerve. P. S they do follow u home

panache45
06-04-2013, 09:27 PM

Who's this "we," kemo sabe?

madsircool
06-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Ghost Adventures is the fakest of all the fake ghost shows. Its absurdly melodramatic. Ghosts arent real people. They would violate the laws of physics.,

madsircool
06-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Why isnt there massive amounts of ghostly hauntings at Auschwitz-Birkenau and Treblinka? Where has the terror and suffering been worse? But nery a ghost has been spotted at these locations.

Shawnee
06-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Is the show real? The SHOW is real; you're watching it.
Are ghosts real? Yes, they are. Incredibly real. I've seen/felt/heard both human and animal spirits. Shook me up for years, afterwards and still causes some heart palpitations when I think back to some of my experiences.
Even though I am a firm believer of ghosts/spirits, I'm not fully convinced that shows, such as Ghost Adventures, aren't faked.

Just Ed
06-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Why isnt there massive amounts of ghostly hauntings at Auschwitz-Birkenau and Treblinka? Where has the terror and suffering been worse? But nery a ghost has been spotted at these locations.Apparently you are unfamiliar with this excellent documentary (http://youtu.be/I9crQmo9vis) on that very subject.

athena_r
06-07-2013, 01:23 AM
I was a skeptic of these "ghosts" and "spirits" once.. But now I believe that they are real, having experienced ghost activities in our home.

Examples would be: stuffs disappearing for some time and then just appear again like someone just borrowed them; small jars, spoons, and lids hitting my family members; cups rolling on the floor when they're supposed to be at their rack...

Once, my brother and I were playing S3 at our living room where our family members were also sleeping since the house was filled with visitors. We were warned to sleep early but we didn't and they put the lights off while we were playing. And then suddenly, something thumped in front of me and me and my brother looked at each other and froze. I quickly switched the light on and found my aunt's heavy sandals in front of me. I tried to copy the sound which we heard by dropping the sandal and sure enough, it was the sandal that we heard. I looked around the living room and saw everyone was fast asleep. Without any ado, me and my brother joined our family sleeping. It was said that the spirit which plagued our neighbors went to our home because they had it cast out from their house, and up to now disturbs us.

So I guess I believe in the most part of Ghost Adventures where they hear and feel things. And I also believe some parts are editted or scripted..

Kimballkid
06-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Kind of curious how all of a sudden there are a bunch of people joining to support the hooey that is ghosts and ghost hunting.

Skywatcher
06-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I would seriously buy the Amityville Horror house [if I wanted to live on Long Island, that is] because pretty much everybody involved has come out and stated it was a fraud [and I like dutch colonial architecture, and it has a boathouse and a dock!]

I'm not sure I could stand to live in the Amityville house. Not because of ghosts, oh no. There's a far worse force at play there: tourists.The house has been remodeled (got rid of the "eye" windows, for one) and the address changed to make it more difficult for tourists to find.

NIGGARDLYeconomy
06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
To all the doubters / non believers on this board; i suggest you try doing your your own EVP's. I haven't seen any ghosts, but i have had my own supernatural experience. I love watching the paranormal shows & 'Celebrity Ghost Story'. The 1st thing most celebrity's say is at the beginning of the show is something like "i never believed in ghosts...." or "i was never a believer..." BTW, during the holidays of 2004, i was listening to Glyniss McCants on the radio, telling the audience about the power of the '8'. She told everyone to write '8' on a piece of paper, or just carry a card with '8' in their purse or their pocket. Being skeptical, & not having anything to lo$e, i tried it. (The Chinese believe '8' brings PROSPERITY; that's why they had the OLYMPICS open on 8/8/2008; add all the digits up & u get '26; 2+6=8; they had FOUR '8's working in their favor) A few months later, i received my inheritance. I gave that same piece of paper to my friend/roommate & he also received a large chuck of money. I'm a believer now.

DocCathode
06-07-2013, 09:34 PM
during the holidays of 2004, i was listening to Glyniss McCants on the radio, telling the audience about the power of the '8'. She told everyone to write '8' on a piece of paper, or just carry a card with '8' in their purse or their pocket. Being skeptical, & not having anything to lo$e, i tried it. (The Chinese believe '8' brings PROSPERITY; that's why they had the OLYMPICS open on 8/8/2008; add all the digits up & u get '26; 2+6=8; they had FOUR '8's working in their favor) A few months later, i received my inheritance. I gave that same piece of paper to my friend/roommate & he also received a large chuck of money. I'm a believer now.

Wow based on two data points, you're a believer? If carrying a card with 8 on it bought prosperity, then it would show in a double blind study. I am aware of no study showing prosperous results.

If the card with 8 on it is so effective, why did you have to wait months?

Ghost_Adventures_Fan
06-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Ghost Adventures is real. One of the locations that they investigated in 2009 is truly haunted. The Ohio State Reformatory is haunted. I know from experience. I was in 8th grade on a field trip to the prison and saw a few figures and was pushed along with several other classmates. And all this that happened to me and my former classmates was the year before Ghost Adventures was there.

Ghosts are real. I've had several occasions where I've had an experience with a ghost.

Sam Stone
06-12-2013, 01:26 AM
I was in 8th grade on a field trip to the prison and saw a few figures and was pushed along with several other classmates.

Another 8! What are the odds? I'm sold.

Plus, ghosts totally explain why sometimes I lose stuff.

Death of Rats
06-12-2013, 10:22 AM
To all the doubters / non believers on this board; i suggest you try doing your your own EVP's. I haven't seen any ghosts, but i have had my own supernatural experience. I love watching the paranormal shows & 'Celebrity Ghost Story'. The 1st thing most celebrity's say is at the beginning of the show is something like "i never believed in ghosts...." or "i was never a believer..." BTW, during the holidays of 2004, i was listening to Glyniss McCants on the radio, telling the audience about the power of the '8'. She told everyone to write '8' on a piece of paper, or just carry a card with '8' in their purse or their pocket. Being skeptical, & not having anything to lo$e, i tried it. (The Chinese believe '8' brings PROSPERITY; that's why they had the OLYMPICS open on 8/8/2008; add all the digits up & u get '26; 2+6=8; they had FOUR '8's working in their favor) A few months later, i received my inheritance. I gave that same piece of paper to my friend/roommate & he also received a large chuck of money. I'm a believer now.

So was this an inheritance you were expecting anyway or are you saying that you carring around an '8' caused the death of someone close enough to you to leave you money, who was otherwise healthy up until then? :dubious:

Kimballkid
06-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Once again I ask: What's with all the kooky ghost believers joining lately. Can't wait until school starts again.

ralph124c
06-12-2013, 01:47 PM
The house has been remodeled (got rid of the "eye" windows, for one) and the address changed to make it more difficult for tourists to find.

Serious question: the kid who murdered his entire family (in the Amityville house)-did he ever explain why he did it?

Kimballkid
06-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Serious question: the kid who murdered his entire family (in the Amityville house)-did he ever explain why he did it?

His name is Ronald DeFeo Jr. and he wasn't really a kid then, but, to answer your question, it depends on which interview with him you watch. It's been everything from voices in his head to it was his sisters idea to drugs. Take your pick

Wiki has some interesting reading on it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_DeFeo,_Jr.).

Eli the awesome
06-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Sprites are real because I lived in a hose in Washington that had a little girl that cried every night.( no it was not my bro) Also my mom when she was 7-10 she lived in a hose that had a ghost that she named jimy I think? that opens the frig every night at 11:00 PM or 1:00AM.,

jayjay
06-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Sprites are real because I lived in a hose in Washington that had a little girl that cried every night.( no it was not my bro) Also my mom when she was 7-10 she lived in a hose that had a ghost that she named jimy I think? that opens the frig every night at 11:00 PM or 1:00AM.,

Wow...such poverty, for two generations of your family to have to live in a hose...

Agent-Smith
06-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Ghost Adventures is the fakest of all the fake ghost shows. Its absurdly melodramatic. Ghosts arent real people. They would violate the laws of physics.,

Well, well, well...so we, the human race, now have an absolute and firm knowledge of all the laws of physics in the universe (multiverse?). Such hubris.

Tell me, Professor Madsircool, which laws are being violated if human consciousness survives past physical death? I wonder if you are familiar with the First Law of Thermodynamics?

Jragon
06-23-2013, 04:26 AM
I wonder if you are familiar with the First Law of Thermodynamics?

ΔE=Q+W :confused:

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
06-23-2013, 05:53 AM

Wow...such poverty, for two generations of your family to have to live in a hose...
Yes...one with "sprites" in it.
Doesn't Decon make a spray for sprites?

FairyChatMom
06-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Many years ago, I was working alone at night - I was the engineer on call on a Navy base, and the engineering building used to be the original WWII-era chow hall. I was the only person in the building, and the only lights on were in the vicinity of my cubicle. Suddenly, I smelled cinnamon - like the scent of freshly-baked cinnamon rolls! :eek: It sent a shiver down my spine and I was freaking out... till I noticed that my top desk drawer was slightly open and my package of cinnamon-flavored chewing gum was sitting right there.

Yes, it did freak me out for a minute, but not because of ghosts. I was afraid my nose was failing.

I've slept in the bedroom where my grandfather died, and the bedroom where my grandmother and my aunt died (18 years apart) - I guess their spirits just didn't like the place, because I've never experienced any kind of haunting. My dad died in the shower when he and Mom were visiting some friends out of state - no reports of his spirit playing with the soap. I won't discount the possibility of some sort of afterlife, but if it does exist, I'm pretty sure its inhabitants will have enough to do without coming back to screw with us. :rolleyes:

drewtwo99
06-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Ghosts are real. Haven't you guys seen the documentary, "Ghostbusters" and the follow up piece "Ghostbusters II"?

stanger
06-23-2013, 11:42 AM
I watched some of the ghost hunter shows, but was more turned off by the way they were presented than any "evidence" they came up with.

Like most shows on TV, they seem to think that there must constantly be music running in the background. On the ghost shows, it is often spooky, eerie sounding stuff - almost sound effects more than music.

So when a ghost hunter goes into a room, then freezes, turns to the camera or his partner and exclaims "Did you hear that!"
No, I sure as hell didn't. Maybe if you turned down the spooky music soundtrack I could actually hear something if it creaked or groaned at anything below 100 decibels.
I understand adding the sound in for mood, but if it drowns out the alleged ghost sounds, and makes it hard to understand the ghost hunter when they talk, then maybe it is to freakin' loud!

I also hate when they seem to capture a voice on their recorders, and later when they play it back, they pretty much have to tell you what you are going to hear for you to pick it out. Playing a faint, whispery voice that you TELL us sounds like "She killed me" is not as convincing as it seems. The sound is so faint (unlike the previously mentioned backing soundtrack), that had you told us the voice said "Catacomb marmalade" it was have been just as believable.

Minnie Luna
06-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I think everyone should watch this and then decide for themselves:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/4261

Jragon
06-23-2013, 06:18 PM
I think everyone should watch this and then decide for themselves:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/4261

I don't know, I wasn't a real believer until I saw this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXcKqTX4YD0).

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
A few minutes ago, I was sitting in my living room, reading, & listing to Count Basie on the stereo.

My LED bicycle tail light (I remove it when I'm not using my bike,to prevent theft) turned itself on! Brilliant flashes of red light, & no hand touched it!

After considering whether a LED light could be turned on by the nearby radio stations, I examined the light more carefully. I had neglected to properly replace the cover, after changing the batteries. This caused a contact, & the light turned on.

Not until reading this Thread did it occur to me that somebody would blame ghosts for things like this.

Jragon
06-23-2013, 08:42 PM
That's nothing, my cords get tangled all the time. By themselves. Spooky.

Harvey The Heavy
06-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Is there any "haunted house" in the world that hasn't been turned into a bed & breakfast, or some similar tourist trap?

Jragon
06-24-2013, 08:40 AM
The Amityville House was remodeled and had its address changed to dissuade tourists.

Ghostlover
07-06-2013, 08:15 PM
I love how people on this thread say "Ghosts aren't real" " the afterlife doesn't exist" "It goes against physics" "If you believe than your delusional" Haha I am jumping in my seat right now laughing , you people make it seem like you have some credibility or something but their is nothing special about you, who died and made you god, what makes you think you know all the answers to the universe or in your case there is no universe, were all just a bunch of bones on a meatsuit right? and the universe is just some anomaly that happened out of nowhere? and feelings and consciousness isn't real its just a figment of our imagination right? we are all worthless beings with worthless lives, and when we die we remain worthless right? your just scared and in denial, you don't want to accept the fact that the paranormal is real, so you make up all these elaborate stories about how its all a hoax, and how it must all be fake, but in reality your the one that's living a hoax, this universe is way too vast and complex, to be boxed into one fixed realty , to claim that the paranormal doesn't exist just because you don't believe it exists is delusional, its like saying bubble gum ice cream doesn't exist because you never tried it, you all claim to be rational yet the most rational people out there always considers all options and possibilities, if you don't than your not as rational as you claim you are, and your definitely no scientist a scientist who doesn't ponder, who doesn't think, or question, or considers all possibilities, who always doubts, discredits, and discourages and always thinks he knows all the answers, is not a scientist at all, but he is rather a cynical skeptic nothing less and nothing more.

As far as the show goes I personally think its real , its too complex to be a hoax, there are too many factors involved, even if some of it was staged or over-dramatized a bit it can't be like that all the time, I find that those who are open to the paranormal will find the paranormal, and those that don't like those on Ghost hunters will come up with nothing because that's exactly what they expect , to those who don't like the show or who thinks its stupid I have an idea don't watch it then! There problem solved.

And please don't bother replying back to me giving this long explanation of how you think your right and I am wrong because really it just makes you look more idiotic and even less credible than I think you are.

jayjay
07-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Shorter Ghostlover: NYAHNYAHNYAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!

Ghostlover
07-06-2013, 08:41 PM
"Shorter Ghostlover: NYAHNYAHNYAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!! "

Who says I wanted you to hear me? just because you have hearing problems and obviously no brain it doesn't mean others do.

Marley23
07-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Who says I wanted you to hear me? just because you have hearing problems and obviously no brain it doesn't mean others do.
You can't insult other posters here. Don't do it again.

Ghostlover
07-06-2013, 11:09 PM
You can't insult other posters here. Don't do it again.

So its okay to call someone stupid or gullible for believing in the paranormal , yet I mention how someone doesn't have a brain and that makes me disrespectful umm okay, and as far as the hearing comment I was referring to ignorance not actual hearing.

colander
07-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Ghostlover, have you ever made love to a ghost or spectre? My friends all tell me it can't be done, but I think they are just closed-minded.

Harvey The Heavy
07-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Ghostlover, have you ever made love to a ghost or spectre? My friends all tell me it can't be done, but I think they are just closed-minded.

He has a ghost girlfriend in Canada. You wouldn't know her.

Lucas Jackson
07-07-2013, 12:52 AM
Wait, they have ghosts that are Canadians?

Marley23
07-07-2013, 12:53 AM
So its okay to call someone stupid or gullible for believing in the paranormal , yet I mention how someone doesn't have a brain and that makes me disrespectful umm okay, and as far as the hearing comment I was referring to ignorance not actual hearing.
You're the only person in this thread who has said "stupid" or "gullible." From what I saw, the most insulting word directed at ghost believers was "kooky." The rule here is that you can't insult other posters, and you did that. So stop.

Ghostlover
07-07-2013, 01:37 PM
You're the only person in this thread who has said "stupid" or "gullible." From what I saw, the most insulting word directed at ghost believers was "kooky." The rule here is that you can't insult other posters, and you did that. So stop.

What about this comment that cmyk said "They're shows that are only for the credulous and gullible to capture more ratings. "

Now that comment wasn't directed to me per say but it was still insulting none the less , he is basically insinuating that anybody who watches these shows are credulous and gullible, now the word gullible is just another word for stupid, and by the way I never called anybody stupid or gullible I just mentioned how somebody doesn't have a brain stop twisting my words to make it seem like I'm the bad guy.

Marley23
07-07-2013, 01:48 PM
What about this comment that cmyk said "They're shows that are only for the credulous and gullible to capture more ratings. "
That was written five months before you joined the board. The rule is this (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=6769918&postcount=3): you can call the show stupid, you can make comments about its ideas and audience, but you cannot directly insult other posters. You did that earlier, so don't do it again.

Ghostlover
07-07-2013, 04:02 PM
That was written five months before you joined the board. The rule is this (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=6769918&postcount=3): you can call the show stupid, you can make comments about its ideas and audience, but you cannot directly insult other posters. You did that earlier, so don't do it again.

I get what your saying and I wont say anything else about anybody there's no need to keep on telling me to not do it again, even though I don't see how what I said was insulting I was just just pointing out someone's ignorance I don't see how that is disrespectful, I just find it a bit hypocritical that someone can say that a certain group of people are stupid and gullible, yet I mention how one person doesn't have a brain and somehow I'm the bad guy just doesn't make much sense, and just because that comment was from 5 months ago it doesn't make it any less insulting, but okay I get it rules are rules.

Marley23
07-07-2013, 08:07 PM
I just find it a bit hypocritical that someone can say that a certain group of people are stupid and gullible
Nobody said those things. A bunch of people ridiculed the idea of ghosts, but nobody called anybody stupid or gullible.

Ghostlover
07-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Nobody said those things. A bunch of people ridiculed the idea of ghosts, but nobody called anybody stupid or gullible.

Cmyk said and I quote "They're shows that are only for the credulous and gullible to capture more ratings. "

Isn't he calling a group of people gullible and stupid? It might not be aimed towards me, but it is aimed towards a certain group of people, so why is it okay for someone to insult a whole group of people, but I mention how one person might not have a brain and that's not okay ? I am not trying to start a fight or anything it just makes no sense to me, my intention was not to insult anyone but to rather point out their ignorance that is all.

Marley23
07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
I did overlook that comment, but I did explain why that's allowed and why you're not allowed to say an SDMB poster doesn't have a brain. That's not a way to say someone is uninformed, it's a way to call them stupid.

Ghostlover
07-07-2013, 11:19 PM
I did overlook that comment, but I did explain why that's allowed and why you're not allowed to say an SDMB poster doesn't have a brain. That's not a way to say someone is uninformed, it's a way to call them stupid.

How do you know for sure though that was the way I intended to say what I did though? When you look at what I said in a literal sense yes it seems like I am calling him stupid,but when you look at it from a subjective point of view it could simply mean that I am pointing out his ignorance nothing more, if I wanted to call him stupid then I would have.

Great Antibob
07-07-2013, 11:34 PM
How do you know for sure though that was the way I intended to say what I did though?

Look, arguing with the mods, who are the ultimate arbiter of board rules, is a mug's game.

Take the hint, learn the board culture, and get on with the topic at hand.

Going back to the thread, do you have any actual, you know, evidence for anything you assert?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Some shaky, grainy, shopped camera work by a TV company that requires disclaimers that it the show is for "entertainment purposes only" (go ahead and check the credits) is not exactly earth shattering or convincing. Worse, argument by incredulity ("the universe is just too complex to 'blah blah blah'") is no more convincing. Once upon a time, people were incredulous about the earth going around the sun (we don't feel like we're moving, do we?). That's why science took hold. Stuff that's backed up by experiment and evidence is accepted. Otherwise, it's not. That's pretty friggin' simple.

Plenty of people in this thread have said they are willing to entertain actual evidence. But until and unless you show some, they've got absolutely no reason to just take your word for anything.

Marley23
07-07-2013, 11:53 PM
How do you know for sure though that was the way I intended to say what I did though? When you look at what I said in a literal sense yes it seems like I am calling him stupid,but when you look at it from a subjective point of view it could simply mean that I am pointing out his ignorance nothing more, if I wanted to call him stupid then I would have.
This is nonsense, and I am tired of discussing it with you. I don't care what you intended to say and I'm not interested in your subjective (or rather "made up") interpretation of your own post. I'm looking at what you actually said, and it was an insult. And since you keep making excuses, I will say this one last time: don't do it again or you're done here. If you have any other questions or comments, you can start a thread in the About This Message Board section or you can send me a private message.

Ghostlover
07-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Look, arguing with the mods, who are the ultimate arbiter of board rules, is a mug's game.

Take the hint, learn the board culture, and get on with the topic at hand.

Going back to the thread, do you have any actual, you know, evidence for anything you assert?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Some shaky, grainy, shopped camera work by a TV company that requires disclaimers that it the show is for "entertainment purposes only" (go ahead and check the credits) is not exactly earth shattering or convincing. Worse, argument by incredulity ("the universe is just too complex to 'blah blah blah'") is no more convincing. Once upon a time, people were incredulous about the earth going around the sun (we don't feel like we're moving, do we?). That's why science took hold. Stuff that's backed up by experiment and evidence is accepted. Otherwise, it's not. That's pretty friggin' simple.

Plenty of people in this thread have said they are willing to entertain actual evidence. But until and unless you show some, they've got absolutely no reason to just take your word for anything.

Who says I was arguing? I was simply asking questions as to why I was being called disrespectful or insulting when there are clearly others who are. I am sure there are plenty of other people on this board who have said worse.

Why should I have to explain myself to you? most of what I asserted was common sense, most people will deny anything if it doesn't match up to there own beliefs or non beliefs, it doesn't make it any less real or true.

If Science is so great at explaining things than why haven't scientists figured out, why we think, feel,? Who we are? How we came to be? Why why were here? Were Intuition really comes from? Were does Energy come from? What really happens to us when we die ? Why do we love? If Scientists really have all the answers then why haven't we gotten any? If there really is no afterlife then why hasn't it been proven without a doubt that it doesn't exist? If you really think our universe can be boxed in and explained in simple terms then that to me is irrational because life isn't simple and it can't be explained away in logical terms.

There are millions upon millions of people worldwide who say they have experienced some sort of paranormal experience, you can't honestly say that all of them must be delusional and crazy just because there is no evidence to support there claims.

Ghostlover
07-08-2013, 12:33 AM
This is nonsense, and I am tired of discussing it with you. I don't care what you intended to say and I'm not interested in your subjective (or rather "made up") interpretation of your own post. I'm looking at what you actually said, and it was an insult. And since you keep making excuses, I will say this one last time: don't do it again or you're done here. If you have any other questions or comments, you can start a thread in the About This Message Board section or you can send me a private message.

Hmm why so defensive I was just asking a question,You might know what I said but you have no idea what my intentions were, so you can't honestly say that I said what I said the way you think I said it, its not about making excuses I already know that the way I choose to say it was probably not the best way, but that doesn't make me disrespectful or insulting just because I choose to say something in a different way, that just makes me human and all humans are prone to error, I find it unfair and insulting that you keep on threatening me that I am done here if I do it again, I have said numerous times that I have no intention of saying what I did again, so why can't you just let it go and leave it at that.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
07-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Ghostlover--this Board is well-moderated.
Getting into it with a Mod is not good for your future here.
Learn the Board culture a bit.

Jragon
07-08-2013, 06:01 AM
If Science is so great at explaining things than why haven't scientists figured out, why we think, feel,? Who we are? How we came to be? Why why were here? Were Intuition really comes from? Were does Energy come from? What really happens to us when we die ? Why do we love? If Scientists really have all the answers then why haven't we gotten any? If there really is no afterlife then why hasn't it been proven without a doubt that it doesn't exist? If you really think our universe can be boxed in and explained in simple terms then that to me is irrational because life isn't simple and it can't be explained away in logical terms.

Not knowing is simply intellectual honesty. You also seem to be conflating "have posited an answer" with "knowing". Religion, spiritual gurus, or some homeless guy's scribblings on the back of a napkin have no claim to "knowing" these things any more than science does. They've merely claimed confidence in knowing an answer to a question that is either unknowable or unknown. Sure, "science" doesn't know, but neither does anyone else. Science (as an institution) is just more honest about it, that gives them more points in my book.

And science isn't "simple", that's a misconception. Science is as simple as it needs to be, there's a large gulf of difference. Science is exactly as complicated as it needs to be to describe what we know about the universe -- and it turns out that actually means pretty damned complicated. If you think it's simple then by all means go get a degree in Biology (including molecular, evolutionary, and all other subfields), Physics (quantum, nuclear, etc), Chemistry (organic... you get the point) at the same time and tell me how "simple" science is. If you passed that test, by all means, publish a paper in every post-graduate level natural science field. I'll be back in about 80 years to hear from you.

Science isn't out for a desire to make things simple and fit in boxes. It's in the business of describing things accurately. This is an incredibly intricate, complex, elegant, and most of all deeply beautiful endeavor -- I fail to see why adding more complexity just out of a misguided notion that there's "more to the universe" would improve anything. There's great beauty in both its simplicity and its complexity, the fact that it dances between too simple and too complex until it settles on a point that seems sound. The fact that it sees things as how they are, and what they do; not as how they should or why.

No, science doesn't answer "why we love" or "who we are", but it's not trying to. It cannot. It's honest about that. It doesn't need to. And it's far more beautiful when it doesn't.

ETA: Also, for serious protip: never, ever, ever say "I'm just asking questions." Like, ever. It's like getting an email from a Nigerian Prince. Sure, he may legitimately need you to help transfer some money and may indeed be royalty, but saying it pretty much ensures he'll never get help. "I'm just asking questions" is pretty much the same thing with craziness, even if you're not crazy the phrase helps your credibility almost never.

Acsenray
07-08-2013, 06:12 AM
No, science doesn't answer "why we love" or "who we are", but it's not trying to. It cannot. It's honest about that. It doesn't need to. And it's far more beautiful when it doesn't.

And those questions just might not have answers at all.

Jragon
07-08-2013, 06:14 AM
And those questions just might not have answers at all.

Well, that was covered under the "cannot" part, I thought. Maybe not.

I guess that presupposes that science can answer everything and since it can't answer those then therefore they're unanswerable. Which wasn't my intention. So you're correct.

Acsenray
07-08-2013, 06:19 AM
Yes, the point I was making that not only does science not have answers to those questions, but there might be no other source for answers, other than just deciding for yourself what you think the best answers are, if any.

Anyway, I think science does have a decent shot at answering "why we love." But probably not "who we are." And that's because they are two different kinds of questions.

Jragon
07-08-2013, 06:23 AM
No, I agree. There's a decent shot at answering "why we love" with neuroscience and such (presupposing that we haven't already answered the basic gist at a strictly operational level), though the answer is likely one that won't be philosophically satisfying to most people.

Marley23
07-08-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm warning Ghostlover for ignoring my instructions. Everybody else plase drop this hijack unless you consider it interesting enough for an ATMB thread or private messages. I don't think there's all that much interest from board regulars in the original thread topic, but this isn't the place to discuss moderating.

Lumpy
07-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Today's XKCD seems relevant:

http://xkcd.com/1235/

Mr. Miskatonic
07-08-2013, 10:45 AM
So I am guessing someone on another board spotted this thread and went to a TV forum to tell them all about our bad words about their ghost shows, huh?

Ghostlover
07-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Not knowing is simply intellectual honesty. You also seem to be conflating "have posited an answer" with "knowing". Religion, spiritual gurus, or some homeless guy's scribblings on the back of a napkin have no claim to "knowing" these things any more than science does. They've merely claimed confidence in knowing an answer to a question that is either unknowable or unknown. Sure, "science" doesn't know, but neither does anyone else. Science (as an institution) is just more honest about it, that gives them more points in my book.

And science isn't "simple", that's a misconception. Science is as simple as it needs to be, there's a large gulf of difference. Science is exactly as complicated as it needs to be to describe what we know about the universe -- and it turns out that actually means pretty damned complicated. If you think it's simple then by all means go get a degree in Biology (including molecular, evolutionary, and all other subfields), Physics (quantum, nuclear, etc), Chemistry (organic... you get the point) at the same time and tell me how "simple" science is. If you passed that test, by all means, publish a paper in every post-graduate level natural science field. I'll be back in about 80 years to hear from you.

Science isn't out for a desire to make things simple and fit in boxes. It's in the business of describing things accurately. This is an incredibly intricate, complex, elegant, and most of all deeply beautiful endeavor -- I fail to see why adding more complexity just out of a misguided notion that there's "more to the universe" would improve anything. There's great beauty in both its simplicity and its complexity, the fact that it dances between too simple and too complex until it settles on a point that seems sound. The fact that it sees things as how they are, and what they do; not as how they should or why.

ETA: Also, for serious protip: never, ever, ever say "I'm just asking questions." Like, ever. It's like getting an email from a Nigerian Prince. Sure, he may legitimately need you to help transfer some money and may indeed be royalty, but saying it pretty much ensures he'll never get help. "I'm just asking questions" is pretty much the same thing with craziness, even if you're not crazy the phrase helps your credibility almost never.

I never said I know all the answers I was just pointing out how other people don't have all the answers, and yes Religion, spiritual gurus, ect has no way of knowing for sure either , however that doesn't make all of them crazy or delusional either, I personally don't belong to any Religion I believe Religion was man made, however I do believe there is a higher power, and that the paranormal is real I know because I have experienced it throughout my life, and it can't be proven, and there is no evidence, but much like Science can't answer who we are are, or why were here, maybe it isn't suppose to maybe that's the beauty of it, I already know Science isn't meant to answer everything, however there are people out there who call themselves Scientists who actually do think they know everything that's all I was referring to, and your right about the questions I should have just left it be, but sometimes I tend to take things a bit personally when I feel my character is being questioned.

spoilerover13
07-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Okay i understand where your guys are coming from has myself a fan of the show even wonders if it`s real or fake.But to be honest,how can we judge them for something that real ghost hunters themselves will say they don't know what there recording on these videos.They aren't even sure that ghost are real or not. The only thing they can say for sure is that what they find on these sessions have no actual physical explanation.If your doubting me on this then i suggest you go to the lengths these people go threw such has highly quarantine areas that can give you many types of diseases and are infested with wild animals and try and lock yourself in there for the night with the power turned off the entire time.And just see for yourself how hard it is for them to do this but still find some need to do it. and after you have done this you will see the feelings and sounds you hear aren't physically possible.ANd if you ask me to do it i have with 3 buddies of mine in the kentucky sanatorium which does this on occasions with groups of people .

Goosie
07-20-2013, 11:39 PM
What a question to ask the atheists/materialists on the SDMB.
It's fake, and they'll have anyone shot who dares disagree with them.
Life is pointless anyway, so they'll be no consequences for any executions they deem necessary.

Marley23
07-20-2013, 11:42 PM
They aren't even sure that ghost are real or not.
They think it's 50-50, don't they? Meaning it's something you can actually debate? It isn't.
The only thing they can say for sure is that what they find on these sessions have no actual physical explanation.
If they say that, they're wrong.
It's fake, and they'll have anyone shot who dares disagree with them.
Yup, this is one of them rootin' tootin' executin' message boards.

[Translation: what?]

pkoomer
08-30-2013, 11:04 AM
What I read said the majority or most of them do ..I think in my post I wrote almost all and I don't think its a very good comparison (native Americans to all Europeans and every religion that existed) native Americans are not nearly as large a group as all of Europe and every religion.. Of course there are different tribes but they share most of the same primary or basic beliefs.

The only reason native American's aren't as large of a group as Europeans is because of disease and their lack of war technology when we virtually exterminated them... because of their lack of technology and inability to connect with tribes over long distances like Europeans did their belief systems were even more diverse than Europe's (they didn't have horses or wagons). Modern Natives are less diverse because they've been forced into reservations close to each other but their beliefs are still varied and a large portion are christian.
using the term afterlife is so generic it's like saying that a whole culture uses cleaner... what kind of cleaner? soap? shampoo? glass plus? vinegar? There is no shame saying you believe something but have no evidence, but saying that some race that you think are mystical because there aren't any near you in order to support your ridiculous belief is pretty pathetic.

control-z
08-30-2013, 03:28 PM
The show is real. Cite: I am a ghost and have been on there.

Kimballkid
08-30-2013, 04:31 PM
What color sheet were you wearing?

control-z
08-30-2013, 05:23 PM
What color sheet were you wearing?

Pfft. Sheets are for amateurs who can't manifest properly. And by the way a lot of us don't like the term "ghosts." We prefer "Non-corporeal being. "

Placebo444
10-14-2013, 11:28 AM

quantum physics on the other hand.....

Czarcasm
10-14-2013, 11:31 AM
quantum physics on the other hand........is a term usually thrown about by people that don't understand the term when they have nothing of actual substance to add to the conversation.

Breen11
10-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I sometimes I like watching these "Ghost hunting" shows cause theyre just silly. Its always the same sh*t in every episode. Poor audio clips of recordings, poor quality video "proof" of something they call a apparition. Most of the time when they cant figure out what made the noise/sound they say it was a ghost. Its just silly, & fun entertainment.

JacobMB
07-12-2014, 10:40 AM
I have never seen that show, so I can't comment about it.
Everything I know about ghosts & spirits is that they don't exist.

Hahahahaha. Skeptics tend to think that they can literally explain everything. Actually, the die hard skeptics AND believers alike seem to be so arrogant, and they all seem to think that they're so smart that they know for sure the spirits are or are not real. Every scientific phenomena deserves research, and paranormal studies have not yet come up with anything proving or disproving the existence of a ghost or a spirit.

I mean, just think, we live in a universe full of randomly scattered rocks, minerals, gases, etc and by pure luck, there is at least one known planet that can support intelligent life.

What I'm saying is, we live in a universe where literally anything could be possible... The existence of spirits included. Or it could all be a figment of our imaginations. I sincerely do not believe any one person is capable of saying that spirits do or do not exist. There really is some compelling evidence for both sides of the debate, but no concrete proving/disproving evidence.

Even with so much scientific research, none of us has ANY idea of just what this universe is capable of showing us. We do not know everything.

Acsenray
07-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Even with so much scientific research, none of us has ANY idea of just what this universe is capable of showing us. We do not know everything.

If you have proof, then show it. Otherwise all you have is "Hahahahaha. argumentum ad ignorantiam."

orangeapples
07-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Hahahahaha. Skeptics tend to think that they can literally explain everything. Actually, the die hard skeptics AND believers alike seem to be so arrogant, and they all seem to think that they're so smart that they know for sure the spirits are or are not real. Every scientific phenomena deserves research, and paranormal studies have not yet come up with anything proving or disproving the existence of a ghost or a spirit.

I mean, just think, we live in a universe full of randomly scattered rocks, minerals, gases, etc and by pure luck, there is at least one known planet that can support intelligent life.

What I'm saying is, we live in a universe where literally anything could be possible... The existence of spirits included. Or it could all be a figment of our imaginations. I sincerely do not believe any one person is capable of saying that spirits do or do not exist. There really is some compelling evidence for both sides of the debate, but no concrete proving/disproving evidence.

I'm a skeptic, I strongly doubt that ghosts are real, and I know for certain that I cannot "literally explain everything". I'd bet no one here believes that of themselves. Another thing I know, there's no way that "literally anything could be possible". I can think of several not possible things in our universe-with-its-rules-and-such, without much effort. I won't be flapping my arms and flying to work in about an hour and a half, for instance. I'll have to drive there, even though I'd rather not. I would suspend time and put it off indefinitely, but that's also not possible.

These shows are arguably entertaining. There shouldn't really be an argument about their educational value. Literally.

Ellis Dee
07-12-2014, 01:54 PM

Even with so much scientific research, none of us has ANY idea of just what this universe is capable of showing us. We do not know everything.Well said. This is exactly the way I explain how Santa Claus is real.

Solidarity!

DigitalC
07-12-2014, 03:57 PM
We do not know everything.

The thing is just because you don't know something doesn't mean you get to make up an explanation. "We don't know therefore ghosts/magic/god" is not a reasonable argument.

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
07-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Ghost Adventures is fun to watch if you treat it as a TV program. Not much else on TV is real, anyhow, so it doesn't make much difference. I do think they go to some interesting locations that have significant history or folklore associated with them, and often it's places I wouldn't have otherwise known about.

kaylasdad99
07-12-2014, 11:11 PM
Of course you don't have a vested interest in misleading anyone about the actual nature/existence of denizens of the spectral realms, do you? :dubious:

:p

ouryL
07-12-2014, 11:37 PM
fake

ouryL
07-12-2014, 11:41 PM
Most of the shows make you think only the guys on camera are there, neglecting to show the guys arming the camera, the mikes and the lights, as well as the director and his assistants.

aruvqan
07-13-2014, 01:54 AM
I was just binge watching a new to me psychic show, paranormal home inspectors (http://www.bigcoatproductions.com/showdetail.asp?sId=9). Great fun. One episode the guy that is the registered inspector up in Canada is walking through some house with his clipboard and checking off the complaints, and as he is walking through the living room he says something like 'hm, they report something wrong with the aquarium. I don't do fish tanks, that's completed.' and walks on past. ROFL. And no matter what he discovers [like doors not hung properly, foundations tilted, electrical system is shorting out across the plumbing] then they run in some whackjob who finds some ghostie reason for it. *sigh* But it really is fun to watch, and just goes to demonstrate how the producers don't want an honest discovery, they want crap that sells commercials.

BrianJ
07-13-2014, 05:54 AM
Well, this thread is plainly proof of zombies :P

BrianJ
07-13-2014, 06:00 AM

As far as the show goes I personally think its real , its too complex to be a hoax, there are too many factors involved, even if some of it was staged or over-dramatized a bit it can't be like that all the time, I find that those who are open to the paranormal will find the paranormal, and those that don't like those on Ghost hunters will come up with nothing because that's exactly what they expect , to those who don't like the show or who thinks its stupid I have an idea don't watch it then! There problem solved.

I know this post is a year old, but I find this line of 'reasoning' hilarious.

The events depicted in the Avengers and Lord of the Rings movies must be real too! They are far too detailed to have been made up!

D_Odds
07-13-2014, 08:13 AM
I know this post is a year old, but I find this line of 'reasoning' hilarious.

The events depicted in the Avengers and Lord of the Rings movies must be real too! They are far too detailed to have been made up!
I've gone on "ghost tours" many times when on vacation, and will continue to do so. I don't believe in any of the stories, but the best tours have the best storytellers (and others just flop). It's not about believing, it's about suspending disbelief for the purpose of the story (which is hard to do on a TV show with ads for tampons and penis pills every 10 minutes - and that's why I don't watch). Attention to detail is good. But as you infer, it doesn't make it true.

Ellis Dee, don't go dragging Santa Claus into this discussion, lest I have to get medieval on your ass. Some things are sacrosanct. :cool:

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.