PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead; 3.10 "Home" (open spoilers)

alphaboi867
02-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Glen & Maggie are back home, the Governor's planning something, the Dixons are gone, and Rick's having visions of a useless dead woman. Hopefully my power will stay on.

asterion
02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
So, with all the problems people had with their cable showing Anaconda, I do wonder if the Walking Dead would be more entertaining with a big giant snake.

misstee
02-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Did any one else notice the governor's injured eye switched?

alphaboi867
02-17-2013, 09:41 PM
This was a pretty boring episode; right up until Axel got shot. I wasn't expecting that. I mean I knew the Governor would pull some kind of assual on the prison; I just didn't expect it so soon. I hope Tyreese isn't gone for good. Maybe they'll show up at Woodbury. And Michonne actually spoke words and communicated with the group in a normal manner. :eek:

MacTech
02-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Did any one else notice the governor's injured eye switched?

They should make it a running gag like the location of Igor's (pronounced Eye-gore) hump in Young Frankenstein......

Quimby
02-17-2013, 10:14 PM
I knew (and maybe even posted here) as soon as Daryl and Merle came across some sort of moral quandary, he would snap out of being a kid again and re-realize his brother was garbage and head back.

catnoe
02-17-2013, 10:18 PM
I think Rick's breakdown is over. Loved seeing Darryl standing up to Merle after rescuing that family!
Poor Axel... I thought we might get to see a love triangle but not one as teeth grating as Rick/Lori/Shane.

Folacin
02-18-2013, 06:44 AM
I was starting to like Axel, but in what I assume was a fairly useless life, he finally found his calling - shield. He was about the only target they could hit.

Acsenray
02-18-2013, 07:45 AM
I was bored to tears until Axel got hit. I was regretting not having watched "Downton Abbey" instead.

Debaser
02-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Great episode.

They seem to be addressing many of the problems with the show:

Michonne is actually using her words. Finally.

The group is back together. I was worried we'd have several episodes of Daryl and Merle wandering before they brought them back.

They addressed the issues between Glen & Maggie well. Glen straight out asked her if she was raped and she told him what happened. This avoids the scenarios of "why don't people talk to each other" that we see so often with shows with lazy writing.

I liked the shootout a lot. First shots resulted in a kill and then everyone dropped down and was pinned down. Much more realistic than most of the shooting we've seen in the show so far. They did a good job of giving a sense of perspective by showing how far away the shooters were from each other.

So the prison has openings somewhere on the back side with walkers coming in. These walkers have filled up the "tombs" of the prison, leaving only the couple (few?) cell blocks secure that are occupied. The outer yard which is protected by double chain link fences is also now overrun by walkers since both gates were smashed by the truck.

So the group only has a couple cell blocks plus a small inner yard that is secure. I wonder if they'll try and re-clear out the prison? Or somehow fix the fences?

Debaser
02-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Also, whatever happened to the group of four that wanted to join up? I guess they ran off when Rick lost it, but I suspect they will be back.

MeanJoe
02-18-2013, 07:55 AM
I've been waiting and waiting for them to reveal Axel is actually a rapist. Guess that isn't happening.

Related to Axel's death - So they can make a head shot from hundreds of yards away but once they make that shot it turns into an episode of the A-Team where no one actually hits anything?

Someone tell The Governor to switch his shooting hand cause you know... your right eye is gone! This drives me nuts, The Governor running around shooting right handed and shooting everything in sight (ha!) with only his left eye.

Not liking the Lady in White (Lori), hope that is truly over. I preferred the recurring element of the telephone in the comic.

Surprised how much I liked Glenn over the last few episodes and the change in the character and how quickly my opinion changed in this one episode. Glenn is just an angry little bitch. Although I really don't understand why Maggie is angry at him.

salinqmind
02-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Maggie has had several episodes of being angered by Glenn from the very start. He's the only game in town for her, so it must be doubly distressing to go off on him when things don't, according to her, go right.

I watched Meryl and Darryl wandering around in the hot, buggy woods looking for a squirrel to shoot and thought, OK, that isn't working out, one or both are going back to the prison a whole lot sooner than expected.

Debaser
02-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Someone tell The Governor to switch his shooting hand cause you know... your right eye is gone! This drives me nuts, The Governor running around shooting right handed and shooting everything in sight (ha!) with only his left eye.

There are a lot of possibilities here. Lots of people are right handed but left eye dominant. If this is detected early, the usual advice is to shoot left handed. But lots of people end up shooting right handed, but with their left eye aiming. This obviously won't work with a scoped rifle, but it would work with a handgun or anything else.

Plus, the governor didn't snipe during the shootout that I can recall. He had a sniper back at his truck firing aimed shots. He was just laying down grazing fire. He was having a great time just spraying fully automatic fire to keep everyone's heads down. I don't think he was actually trying to hit anyone specifically.

interface2x
02-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Personally, I thought it would be a better strategy for our heroes to just load up the courtyard with walkers and make sure the doors are reinforced. While the walkers are your enemy, they're also the Governor's enemy. If he is going to attack, I would want the walkers in between him and our door so he'd have to fight his way there. By the time he got there, he might be more fatigued and he'd certainly have less ammo. In a best case scenario (for our prisoner folk), he may have even lost a fighter or two. The walkers are a pain in the ass, might as well try to use them to your advantage here and there.

carnivorousplant
02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
They should make it a running gag like the location of Igor's (pronounced Eye-gore) hump in Young Frankenstein......

Hump?
What hump?

SykoSkotty
02-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Loved it - I thought it was going well and the shootout at the end put it over the top for me. Michonne is still a bad ass - Glen is stepping up - Daryl has grown up since he last saw Merle - and I was shocked that Axel was killed.

Can't wait for next week!

randwill
02-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I thought the absence of the new group of four in this episode was awkward. They addressed this on "Talking Dead". Kirkman said that they had left the prison but where they were now was an unknown. To me this says that they didn't want to spend the money on the four actors to shoot a short scene of them leaving. But not doing so made me wonder about why they didn't rally with everyone else during the shootout. We shouldn't have to wait for clarification of important story points on "Talking".

Also, filing cabinets would make very poor cover from automatic weapons fire, wouldn't they?

gytalf2000
02-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Personally, I thought it would be a better strategy for our heroes to just load up the courtyard with walkers and make sure the doors are reinforced. While the walkers are your enemy, they're also the Governor's enemy. If he is going to attack, I would want the walkers in between him and our door so he'd have to fight his way there. By the time he got there, he might be more fatigued and he'd certainly have less ammo. In a best case scenario (for our prisoner folk), he may have even lost a fighter or two. The walkers are a pain in the ass, might as well try to use them to your advantage here and there.

Hey, great idea!

yarblek
02-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Also, filing cabinets would make very poor cover from automatic weapons fire, wouldn't they?

A dead body on the other hand...:dubious:

MeanJoe
02-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Bad idea. You saw the up-armored bread-truck break through the first set of gates. If that courtyard was full of zombies, a slightly larger vehicle would still be able to drive through them and hit the inner gates. (Think the shuttle buses from the Dawn of the Dead remake) Now Rick & Company have a fully compromised fence line and hundreds of walkers pouring through their last defensive fence line.

gytalf2000
02-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Bad idea. You saw the up-armored bread-truck break through the first set of gates. If that courtyard was full of zombies, a slightly larger vehicle would still be able to drive through them and hit the inner gates. (Think the shuttle buses from the Dawn of the Dead remake) Now Rick & Company have a fully compromised fence line and hundreds of walkers pouring through their last defensive fence line.

Drat. Oh dear, we've hit a snag in our "Use Zombies for Defense" plan... Hmmm... Perhaps we need to think this through a bit more.

John Mace
02-18-2013, 11:44 AM
I enjoyed pretty much everything about this episode except Rick's moping in the wilderness. Herschel should have knocked him over the head with the fact that has two, count 'em two, children that he needs to look after. Everyone has lost loved ones. Everyone. Quit being such a pussy!!

SuperNelson
02-18-2013, 11:45 AM
I actually paused the TiVo to tell my wife that these were the most amazing filing cabinets IN THE WORLD, only to realize that they must be full of paper.

Latimera
02-18-2013, 11:46 AM
I love this show but felt this was a weaker episode. The scene where Daryl and (reluctant) Merle rescued the 2 men, woman and kid seemed really contrived. And how was the Governor able to drive up to the fence of the prison and distribute his men without anyone noticing? Imagine how quiet it must be...youd hear a vehicle long before you saw it. And as for Axel, I knew he was doomed as soon as they started providing his back story.

SuperNelson
02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Related to Axel's death - So they can make a head shot from hundreds of yards away but once they make that shot it turns into an episode of the A-Team where no one actually hits anything?

So that's why his eye patch switched sides.

And did anyone notice whether the sniper in the tower was killed with a head shot, or will we see him again? And how did he get there in the first place? Isn't that the same tower that Glenn and Maggie kept canoodling in?

Hentor the Barbarian
02-18-2013, 11:51 AM
I liked the episode, except that I don't want to see anymore of Rick's wandering in crazytown.

I didn't understand the Governors strategy for his attack. Disperse around a wide perimeter so that you could trade small arms fire from a long distance? Have some ninja drop the zombies off at the pool and then withdraw? Seems like a lot of spent ammo dedicated to nothing more than being a nuisance.

AngelSoft
02-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Thought it was a pretty good episode. I was a little confused as to what was going on between Maggie and Glenn. Why are they angry with each other? More so, why is Maggie so angry with Gleen? Also wondering how that guy got into the watch tower. Though, Glenn mentioned at one point that no one was on watch so I can see him getting a chance to sneak in then.

As for the governor's eye switching. Do you mean in the previews? I just assumed it was a shot of him looking in a mirror.

randwill
02-18-2013, 12:05 PM
I enjoyed pretty much everything about this episode except Rick's moping in the wilderness. Herschel should have knocked him over the head with the fact that has two, count 'em two, children that he needs to look after. Everyone has lost loved ones. Everyone. Quit being such a pussy!!

Yep. Considering that Hersch is a father as well, I couldn't understand why he didn't play the 'you've got two children who need you' card.

SuperNelson
02-18-2013, 12:29 PM
As for the governor's eye switching. Do you mean in the previews? I just assumed it was a shot of him looking in a mirror.Truth be told, I didn't notice it. My wife mentioned it, and I thought she was imagining things until Misstee mentioned it above.

John Mace
02-18-2013, 12:34 PM
What's up with The Governor's creepy scientist guy? Is he just a socially inept nerd, or is he up to something?

joyfool
02-18-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm assuming Maggie was pissed at Glenn for him having been upset and acting like a dick to her for what she did / went through. He was upset she was raped (you can formulate your own opinions about why) and she expected him to give her a chance to process her experience. Instead, his feelings ran completely roughshod over hers. Makes sense to me.

My question is this...... what happened to the person driving the bread truck? Did he slip back out and get away with the governor? Did he go on to hide inside the prison? Did he get killed? And does it even matter who it was to begin with?

Also, at some point I hope the writers get past this whole "Rick has to push away all newcomers" stance. It's tedious, needlessly pandering to make useless conflict and so against what one would do if about to be faced with some sort of assault when you have able-bodied workers at your disposal. Add Tyrese and his daughter now.

newcomer
02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
They addressed the issues between Glen & Maggie well. Glen straight out asked her if she was raped and she told him what happened. This avoids the scenarios of "why don't people talk to each other" that we see so often with shows with lazy writing. I liked that scene. It was a natural progression of Maggie sensing male honour hurt syndrome but she also let him know how selfish that feeling is. It was really well done.

So the group only has a couple cell blocks plus a small inner yard that is secure. I wonder if they'll try and re-clear out the prison? Or somehow fix the fences? Going back to 1st episode of 3rd season, sequence of scenes when they all hold tight and clean up the hallways was one of the most thrilling parts of the whole series.

alphaboi867
02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
I've been waiting and waiting for them to reveal Axel is actually a rapist. Guess that isn't happening...

I thought that too; especially after he changed his story about why he was in prison.

...And how was the Governor able to drive up to the fence of the prison and distribute his men without anyone noticing?...

They did have Glenn get pissed when he realized that everyone (except crazy Rick) was in the meeting and nobody was on watch. It did seem contrived though.

I'm assuming Maggie was pissed at Glenn for him having been upset and acting like a dick to her for what she did / went through...

That's more or less what they said on Talking Dead; Maggie was upset because Glenn was making her near-rape about him.

Debaser
02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm assuming Maggie was pissed at Glenn for him having been upset and acting like a dick to her for what she did / went through. He was upset she was raped (you can formulate your own opinions about why) and she expected him to give her a chance to process her experience. Instead, his feelings ran completely roughshod over hers. Makes sense to me.

Completely agreed with this. He's acting like many young men would in that situation. He's not handling it particularly well.

I did note that Maggie was off pouting in the prison when the attack occurred and was glad to see her spring into action during the battle. It was a cool moment when her and the other women grab rifles and join in the shooting.

It seems at this point in the zombie apocalypse there isn't much dead weight left.

My question is this...... what happened to the person driving the bread truck? Did he slip back out and get away with the governor? Did he go on to hide inside the prison? Did he get killed? And does it even matter who it was to begin with?

They showed a short, well armored and masked figure escape from the truck and run back out of the compound towards the governor.

Also, at some point I hope the writers get past this whole "Rick has to push away all newcomers" stance. It's tedious, needlessly pandering to make useless conflict and so against what one would do if about to be faced with some sort of assault when you have able-bodied workers at your disposal. Add Tyrese and his daughter now.

I wouldn't count on this theme going away. At this point it's the central premise of the show. The tagline for this season is something like "Fear the dead, fight the living."

The other survivors are much more of a thread than the walkers to the group. We even have recent examples of this. The governor and the kitchen prisoners. If you just let anyone into your group you are doomed. Slowly assimilating people as you grow to trust them is how they will continue to do it.

gytalf2000
02-18-2013, 01:08 PM

I felt the same way. I wanted to reach inside the screen and slap Rick out of his funk.
C'mon man, snap out of it! Your people need you!

MTRG
02-18-2013, 01:16 PM
As for the governor's eye switching. Do you mean in the previews? I just assumed it was a shot of him looking in a mirror.

This ^^

The Flea
02-18-2013, 02:01 PM
I liked it, I think the season is back in gear and we'll really get revving up now. I think this wasn't really an attack on the prison by Woodbury, the Governor was just testing their defenses and I don't think he believes they're much of a threat now. The look on Rick's face at the end of the episode tells me he would be unwise to think that though. O.o

Bryan Ekers
02-18-2013, 02:55 PM
How'd the Gov get one of his guys into the prison and up a guard tower in broad daylight with nobody noticing? Yeesh, with this little attention paid to defense, the gang deserves to get wiped out.

AngelSoft
02-18-2013, 03:14 PM
How'd the Gov get one of his guys into the prison and up a guard tower in broad daylight with nobody noticing? Yeesh, with this little attention paid to defense, the gang deserves to get wiped out.

There was no one on watch, as Glenn pointed out when they were having the argument in the prison about staying or leaving.

DigitalC
02-18-2013, 04:03 PM
The Governor sure looked proud of himself after his massive failure of an attack. He lost more guys than the other guys and his big zombie surprise was completely ineffective. It should've been a slaughter, specially since they somehow got a guy up on the tower.

Courk
02-18-2013, 04:36 PM
I think the attack worked. The prison group is going to be very busy for quite some time resecuring their home, and will have a harder time with any retaliation.

I didn't notice any eye patch switching, but I did notice they flipped the frame at the end of the scene where Merle rips Daryl's shirt. Those demon tattoos are on Norman Reedus's right shoulder.

I personally loved every scene with the Dixons. I wish the idea that they were going to rob the quarry camp had been there from the beginning, it'd be fun to go back for any subtle clues, but I bet it's a new story idea.

gytalf2000
02-18-2013, 04:46 PM
I personally loved every scene with the Dixons. I wish the idea that they were going to rob the quarry camp had been there from the beginning, it'd be fun to go back for any subtle clues, but I bet it's a new story idea.

They are a very entertaining duo -- let's hear it for "The Continuing Hillbilly Adventures of Merle and Daryl". Ha!

SenorBeef
02-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Yikes, this was IMO a pretty bad episode. As bad as a season 2 episode. It dragged on for 45 minutes with nothing, it had contrived character drama, and just not much redeeming about it.

The Glen and Maggie situation is utterly perplexing to me and is a complete waste of screen time. I totally don't understand the "Maggie had to show someone her tits, omg, the worst thing ever!" vibe I'm supposed to be feeling, I don't understand why she's so angry with Glenn, I don't get why it's not a bigger deal than Glenn got fucking tortured and went through way worse shit, so at least I get why he's kind of out of it.

Rick going crazy is... I wish they'd make it more interesting. Let him talk to ghosts, fine, use it to examine the stresses of leadership and the consequences of having him make tough decisions. But just sidelining him and watching him chase ghosts is boring. On the other hand, it shows what the characters will do in his absense, which could be interesting, but the scenes of Rick himself are wasted time.

The governor's attack could've been the big dramatic action piece of this part of the season, and yet it was incredibly half assed. Okay, they drive up (silently apparently) to the gate and just start firing wildly. This is their big assault plan. Fantastic. Somehow they got a guy up into the guard tower, so they apparently had time and stealth on their side, but they didn't really use that. Instead they choose to sit outside the gate and fire randomly. Blah.

And driving the zombie truck through the gate, who cares? That's just a fenced in buffer zone. The inner zone isn't breached. They're in no immediate danger from those zombies.

So there was Daryl and Merle. I guess that was the most interesting part of the episode, and they gave a plausible reason for Daryl to grow and seperate himself from Merle. I guess we need to see the next episode to see if the group gets stupid and accepts Merle back into it before I can evaluate this storyline.

Overall, worst episode of the season and just dull and stupid.

SuperNelson
02-18-2013, 05:50 PM
They are a very entertaining duo -- let's hear it for "The Continuing Hillbilly Adventures of Merle and Daryl". Ha!
Just waiting to hear the line, "Sheriff, them Dixon boys are at it again!"

randwill
02-18-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm not getting the criticism that the Governor and his troops drove into position silently. Vehicles have mufflers these days. I wouldn't be able to hear my car if it was as far away from me as it was from our heroes, and I was inside a building as they were.

TBG
02-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Damn, they didn't just kill Axel, they killed the shit outta him. So long Foghorn Methhorn, we barely knew ya!

Someone asked about the Gov's guy on the watchtower and if he got hit with a headshot or not, and yes, he did.

Ellis Dee
02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
The Glen and Maggie situation is utterly perplexing to me and is a complete waste of screen time. I totally don't understand the "Maggie had to show someone her tits, omg, the worst thing ever!" vibe I'm supposed to be feeling, I don't understand why she's so angry with Glenn, I don't get why it's not a bigger deal than Glenn got fucking tortured and went through way worse shit, so at least I get why he's kind of out of it.The Glen and Maggie situation makes perfect sense to me, and is IMO some of the best writing on the show.

MacTech
02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
So that's why his eye patch switched sides.
<snip>

Eyepatch?
What eyepatch?

carnivorousplant
02-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Eyepatch?
What eyepatch?

Plagiarist.

carnivorousplant
02-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Did the guy who ran out of the zombie van get whacked?

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 4 seconds.

MacTech
02-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Plagiarist.

Frau Brcher!

interface2x
02-19-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm not getting the criticism that the Governor and his troops drove into position silently. Vehicles have mufflers these days. I wouldn't be able to hear my car if it was as far away from me as it was from our heroes, and I was inside a building as they were.Considering that one of the two people who happened to be outside when they arrived was just talking last episode about how damn quiet it is all the time, you'd think they'd have noticed. Unless the truck came veeeerrrry slowly, you'd probably detect some sound out of the ordinary.

brewha
02-19-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm not getting the criticism that the Governor and his troops drove into position silently. Vehicles have mufflers these days. I wouldn't be able to hear my car if it was as far away from me as it was from our heroes, and I was inside a building as they were.

But, Carol and General Custer were in the courtyard when the truck drove up. I was a bit surprised they didn't hear it as well. Even if the engine was muffled, they would have hear the sound of tires on gravel from a 1/2 mile away.

Acsenray
02-19-2013, 08:30 AM
The Glen and Maggie situation is utterly perplexing to me and is a complete waste of screen time. I totally don't understand the "Maggie had to show someone her tits, omg, the worst thing ever!" vibe I'm supposed to be feeling, I don't understand why she's so angry with Glenn, I don't get why it's not a bigger deal than Glenn got fucking tortured and went through way worse shit, so at least I get why he's kind of out of it.

The Glen and Maggie situation makes perfect sense to me, and is IMO some of the best writing on the show.

Yes. Sexual assault fucks people and relationships up. It isn't solved by rational analysis and things aren't okay just because there was no better option. This is one of the few ways in which these characters are acting recognizably normally.

And that's for the Glen-Maggie interactions. Glen going off and being a reckless yahoo about it annoys me.

DigitalC
02-19-2013, 09:00 AM
They sure heard the van long before it broke through the gate. So fighting zombies: everyone is a perfect shot nailing head shots every time usually on the run, but get into a shoot out and suddenly nobody can hit the side of a barn.

newcomer
02-19-2013, 09:04 AM
They sure heard the van long before it broke through the gate. So fighting zombies: everyone is a perfect shot nailing head shots every time usually on the run, but get into a shoot out and suddenly nobody can hit the side of a barn. Walkers dont shoot back, I guess.

newcomer
02-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Yes. Sexual assault fucks people and relationships up. It isn't solved by rational analysis and things aren't okay just because there was no better option. This is one of the few ways in which these characters are acting recognizably normally.

And that's for the Glen-Maggie interactions. Glen going off and being a reckless yahoo about it annoys me.

I agree.

I mean, people grow through the episodes and it seems that for both, having that relationship, hanging on to it through this little drama is the thread that they hang on to stay sane. In fact, Id argue especially in the situation they are in with the world around them collapsing having these feelings about each other some selfish some generous its almost as a hideout. Just like for Rick, seeing whats not there is a form of escapism.

Its not easy, man

Unauthorized Cinnamon
02-19-2013, 09:17 AM
My take on the Maggie/Glen thing is that maybe (in addition to both being incredibly traumatized generally) Maggie was pissed at the implication that being captured, terrorized, and thinking they would both die horribly is basically irrelevant as long as no one actually inserted anything in her vagina. You know, that means everything's all right and she doesn't need to be upset.

Acsenray
02-19-2013, 10:12 AM
My take on the Maggie/Glen thing is that maybe (in addition to both being incredibly traumatized generally) Maggie was pissed at the implication that being captured, terrorized, and thinking they would both die horribly is basically irrelevant as long as no one actually inserted anything in her vagina. You know, that means everything's all right and she doesn't need to be upset.

Yes, exactly. The only bad thing that can happen is someone inserting his penis into her vagina. (1) Maybe that's not the worst thing that happened to Maggie. (2) Maybe Maggie could even get over penetrative rape. (3) But that's all Glen seems to be worried about.

carnivorousplant
02-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Who whacked the live guy from the van?

Furious_Marmot
02-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Did anyone else think that the van guy looked kind of small and skinny? Maybe a woman or a kid?

Unauthorized Cinnamon
02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Yes, I was pretty sure it was a woman.

DigitalC
02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Who whacked the live guy from the van?

Nobody, he ran off and got in the truck with the Governor and the surviving attackers.

Debaser
02-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Walkers dont shoot back, I guess.

Or take cover.

carnivorousplant
02-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Nobody, he ran off and got in the truck with the Governor and the surviving attackers.

Was he the same guy firing through the fence?
I'm gonna watch it again...

Furious_Marmot
02-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Are we supposed to view the prison attack as an well thought out attempt to destroy or weaken the protagonists or as an ineffective act of revenge by a deranged man, that doesn't end in disaster only by dumb luck? I can buy the latter, the former, not so much.

After the raid on the town, there are maybe 10 Woodbury militia left. Not enough to both stand guard and go fight our protagonists, who had 10 combatants (discounting Beth and the woman in the new group). The prison may as well be a fort: thick walls, strong doors, fireproof, surrounded by clear land, and lots of cover for defenders. Lacking heavy weapons to breach the walls, 5 guys could hold off every person in Woodbury until they gave up and went home.

So the writers use a string of dubious developments and a heaping dose of lucky timing to give us a big, splashy gunfight. Rick scares off the new guys by yelling ambiguously at a hallucination. Apparently no one asked for clarification or tried to talk them into staying. Axel doesn't know how to work a gun. Rick wanders around outside. Glenn goes off in a huff. We're now down to four people who can shoot. Since Herschel is out in a field instead of sitting in a window with a rifle, more like 3.5. Then everybody stands around outside for no good reason.

YogSothoth
02-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Haven't read the thread yet, but I just wanted to post something quick. Did anybody get the impression that the person who drove the zombie bomb van was a woman? If its a man, it may not matter as a character on almost any show being a man is the default, so if its a woman like I believe, there must be some point to it. The only one I can imagine is Andrea. Looks like she turned to the dark side

Acsenray
02-19-2013, 01:48 PM
I was going to say this. It's not clear to me what the Governor's goal was. If it was to permanently kill off the prison group, then it was a terrible plan. If it was just to cause havoc for a short time, regardless of the outcome, then, okay, but why?

Courk
02-19-2013, 01:50 PM
It's entirely possible the Governor did some scouting first and would not have attacked had he seen things going better for the prison folk. Yes, he got lucky in that the prison was the weakest it could be, but I think the group got lucky that Rick was outside and Daryl wasn't back yet -- it made Axel appear to be the leader, so he was the one that was taken out.

brewha
02-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Haven't read the thread yet, but I just wanted to post something quick. Did anybody get the impression that the person who drove the zombie bomb van was a woman? If its a man, it may not matter as a character on almost any show being a man is the default, so if its a woman like I believe, there must be some point to it. The only one I can imagine is Andrea. Looks like she turned to the dark side

I got the feeling it was a woman too. But, it wasn't Andrea. She was talking to nerdy scientist and wondering where the guv was. She suspected that he was going to the prison to exact revenge, but certainly didn't go with them.

The previews for next week show that Andrea doesn't know about the attack on the prison as well.

Human Action
02-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Are we supposed to view the prison attack as an well thought out attempt to destroy or weaken the protagonists or as an ineffective act of revenge by a deranged man, that doesn't end in disaster only by dumb luck? I can buy the latter, the former, not so much.

Agree, and I'd also note that making your antagonist a Generic Mad Leader is a great out for hack writers, you can write any course of action for him, and it's all plausible because he's just that nuts.

The only one I can imagine is Andrea. Looks like she turned to the dark side

It can't be Andrea, she was looking for the Governor in Woodbury after the Governor's raiding party had left.

Weak episode, I would love for them to kill off all the characters and reboot without using anything from the comic series.

brewha
02-19-2013, 02:05 PM
it made Axel appear to be the leader, so he was the one that was taken out.

Interesting. Rick said that he knew he was hallucinating, but followed his vision outside. There had to be a reason, right? It probably did save his life.

Of course, if Rick actually had been shot they might get some competent leadership instead of this nutjob.

Bryan Ekers
02-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Rick is indeed riding the short bus to crazy town. Thing is, we can see that in any genre - I watch Walking Dead specifically for post-zombocalypse survival stories. I want to see some MacGuyvery cleverness, not just total social and psychological disintegration.

At this point, I'd even invite the kid taking lead.

theR
02-19-2013, 02:26 PM

Rick and Herschel were both outside and not far from the Governor's truck, and Axel and Carol were also both outside. In a situation where civilization has fallen and there are very few motors and other gizmos running on a continuous basis, it's pretty silly to think you could sneak up on people in a truck. (I already deleted the episode or I'd try to identify the truck the Governor was next to, but it was a beat up old pickup or SUV and surely wasn't quiet.)

I think this episode had too much teleporting. The Governor's group of attackers teleported into their attacking positions and Tyreese's group teleported out of the prison. Lazy writing.

Furious_Marmot
02-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Maybe van lady is the Gov's assistant/ex-girlfriend. She disappeared a couple of episodes into the season, maybe she's found a way to get her old job back.

SenorBeef
02-19-2013, 03:07 PM

What in the show's dialogue/story indicated that this is a plausible motivation for Maggie? Maybe there was something and I missed it.

This whole storyline makes me roll my eyes pretty hard.

First, imagine a woman in present day Rwanda or some other hellhole in the real world being captured by the enemy. She could reasonably expect to be raped, probably gangraped or raped multiple times, possibly tortured, killed and made to suffer all sorts of horrible things. If she got off with what Maggie had to do, she'd think it was the luckiest day of her life.

It's only our delicate western sensibilities combined with an extremely sexist bent that makes it apparently seem so horrifying and traumatizing to the people here. I say sexist because Glen underwent actual, horrible torture. He was severely beaten for hours, and then left to bek illed by a zombie - eaten alive. And yet what did you see in the threads after that episode? "Oh poor Maggie", as if men are expected to undergo horrible experiences and it's no big deal but if a woman experiences a moderately unpleasant one it's deserving of far more sympathy.

But the reality is that their world - these are people who have been hardened by a year of surviving in a horrible world - is a lot closer to the the Rwanda example I mentioned above than a first world country. Maggie should be battle hardened to the point where what happened to her should be a *relief*, rather than a trauma, because you'd expect so much worse.

It seems to me that they want to convey that she's traumatized, but they didn't have the balls (or thought the audience was too delicate) to show or imply that she was raped or even violently gang raped. So they're treating what she actually did go through, which was skeevy but entirely minor in the context of her world, as if she were raped. So the audience sympathy, and the degree to which the character is shown to be traumatized, is way out of proportion here, which I guess is what's confusing me.

Rick is indeed riding the short bus to crazy town. Thing is, we can see that in any genre - I watch Walking Dead specifically for post-zombocalypse survival stories. I want to see some MacGuyvery cleverness, not just total social and psychological disintegration.

You are watching the wrong show. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any shows along the lines of what you want.

Human Action
02-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Interesting. Rick said that he knew he was hallucinating, but followed his vision outside. There had to be a reason, right? It probably did save his life.

If the show spins this as some kind of mystical intervention to spare Rick's life, that would be the point of no return for me watching TWD.

At this point, I'd even invite the kid taking lead.

There's probably a snappy term for the phenomenon where most every television show, as the show enters its middle and later seasons, features the same sorts of stories and cliches and generally drifts toward a universal bland sameness, regardless of whatever genre or premise supposedly underlies the show.

Maybe van lady is the Gov's assistant/ex-girlfriend. She disappeared a couple of episodes into the season, maybe she's found a way to get her old job back.

Makes sense; the Governor does seem to be especially concerned with his underlings' loyalty and willingness to die for the cause of late, volunteering to drive the zombie paddywagon into gunfire is a stand-out way to prove one's loyalty and resolve.

Acsenray
02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
First, imagine a woman in present day Rwanda or some other hellhole in the real world being captured by the enemy. She could reasonably expect to be raped, probably gangraped or raped multiple times, possibly tortured, killed and made to suffer all sorts of horrible things. If she got off with what Maggie had to do, she'd think it was the luckiest day of her life.

It's only our delicate western sensibilities combined with an extremely sexist bent that makes it apparently seem so horrifying and traumatizing to the people here.

I don't really think you have any idea what you're talking about. People living in "hellholes" do suffer from extensive psychological trauma from the horrors they face. And it does twist people. Yes, other people also suffer from even worse treatment. That really doesn't make everything better.

I say sexist because Glen underwent actual, horrible torture. He was severely beaten for hours, and then left to bek illed by a zombie - eaten alive. And yet what did you see in the threads after that episode? "Oh poor Maggie", as if men are expected to undergo horrible experiences and it's no big deal but if a woman experiences a moderately unpleasant one it's deserving of far more sympathy.

You're joking, right? Glen is clearly also suffering from major trauma.

But the reality is that their world - these are people who have been hardened by a year of surviving in a horrible world

People who are "hardened" aren't okay. They're majorly fucked in the head.

alphaboi867
02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Did anyone else think that the van guy looked kind of small and skinny? Maybe a woman or a kid?

Hmm, maybe Carl will get a psychotic little playmate. :p It's okay to show children being killed on camera as long as it's another child killing them, right?

whole bean
02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Rick followed the apparition to three graves in the yard. These three graves appeared earlier in the season, after T-Dog was (and, we thought, others possibly were) killed. To whom do these graves belong? T-Dog and . . .

not Lori -- her remains were never found, though Rick apparently thought a single zombie ate her

not Carol -- she's still alive

Did they just dig and fill two holes?

Upthread, someone said lazy writing. That defines this show. Continuity errors, poor character motivation, loose ends. Once upon a time, I hoped this would be prestige television. It's not. I know it's popular, but I would argue that is a result of not in spite of its dumbing down.

Unauthorized Cinnamon
02-19-2013, 05:14 PM
What in the show's dialogue/story indicated that this is a plausible motivation for Maggie? Maybe there was something and I missed it.The kids are still up, so I'm sure you'll understand if I don't cue up the show and check, but I believe right when they were reunited in Woodbury, he asked obliquely if she'd been raped, and she said no. Then in this episode, he seemed to want to know exactly what happened, to reassure himself that she wasn't raped. So she described in detail what the Governor had done, then spat out something like, "There, you have your answer. Now go away."
It's only our delicate western sensibilities combined with an extremely sexist bent that makes it apparently seem so horrifying and traumatizing to the people here. I say sexist because Glen underwent actual, horrible torture. He was severely beaten for hours, and then left to bek illed by a zombie - eaten alive. And yet what did you see in the threads after that episode? "Oh poor Maggie", as if men are expected to undergo horrible experiences and it's no big deal but if a woman experiences a moderately unpleasant one it's deserving of far more sympathy.Ah, I may have something of an answer to this. While some Dopers in these threads may have expressed that nearly being raped was the most horribly traumatic thing that could have happened and Maggie deserves much more sympathy than Glen, that's not my feeling, and I don't think it's what the show is saying. I think the point of this plotline is that they were both horribly traumatized by being captured, held, being beaten and zombie-bait in Glen's case, worrying about what awful things were being done to the other, assuming they'd be lucky to get a bullet to the head instead of tortured to death, and not least by having to make the terrible choice between saving themselves and/or their loved one immediately by selling out their "family" back at the prison. Maggie is handling the trauma by withdrawing while Glen is handling it by going alpha male, neither of which is terribly healthy, and combined is poison to their relationship. I don't think the sexual humiliation and threat is meant to be particularly significant, except insofar as Glen's focusing on it may be pushing them further apart.

TBG
02-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Rick followed the apparition to three graves in the yard. These three graves appeared earlier in the season, after T-Dog was (and, we thought, others possibly were) killed. To whom do these graves belong? T-Dog and . . .

not Lori -- her remains were never found, though Rick apparently thought a single zombie ate her

not Carol -- she's still alive

Did they just dig and fill two holes?

Upthread, someone said lazy writing. That defines this show. Continuity errors, poor character motivation, loose ends. Once upon a time, I hoped this would be prestige television. It's not. I know it's popular, but I would argue that is a result of not in spite of its dumbing down.

Didn't Axel and the black prisoner bury some of their guys who died?

Ellis Dee
02-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Are we supposed to view the prison attack as an well thought out attempt to destroy or weaken the protagonists or as an ineffective act of revenge by a deranged man, that doesn't end in disaster only by dumb luck? I can buy the latter, the former, not so much. Neither. It was a scouting mission to assess the prison in preparation for a full-scale attack later on.

alphaboi867
02-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Did Rick & co ever actually find the prison armoury? I remember he talked about it not being on site. What kind of weapons would they find there anyway? The Governor has access to actual military weapons & vehicles (though I don't recall seeing a tank).

carnivorousplant
02-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Neither. It was a scouting mission to assess the prison in preparation for a full-scale attack later on.

The governor sure giggled a lot while he ripped pff procesless rounds without aiming.
Interesting that he and Rick are bananas.

carnivorousplant
02-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Did Rick & co ever actually find the prison armoury? I remember he talked about it not being on site. What kind of weapons would they find there anyway? The Governor has access to actual military weapons & vehicles (though I don't recall seeing a tank).

They have some really cool weapons now.

carnivorousplant
02-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Five guys attack the prison.
Governor
Black guy in the truck with gov
White guy in the tower
White guy in the grass shooting at Rick
Little person in the van.

Gov and Black guy leave in the truck.
White guy in the grass runs into the woods.
Guy in the tower is shot in the head.

Where did the Little Van Guy and the Guy in the Grass go?

Furious_Marmot
02-19-2013, 08:50 PM

LVG ran towards the Governor's truck. It's not shown but seems reasonable that they picked him/her/it up. Grass Guy (is that Martinez?) presumably fell back to whatever vehicle he and the late Sunglasses Man came in.

Neither. It was a scouting mission to assess the prison in preparation for a full-scale attack later on.

Then the Gov's going to be terribly surprised when he comes back and finds out that there's more people than before, they actually have someone standing guard, and they aren't all standing around outside for no good reason. He'd be even more bummed if he were to realize that he completely missed the huge unsecured blind spot on the other side of the building. Unless his super plot luck holds out.

The Governor has access to actual military weapons & vehicles (though I don't recall seeing a tank).

A tank would be too big of a pain in the ass to use, they'd have to trailer it out there and back. Besides couldn't the .50 caliber machine gun(s) on those Army trucks could shred at least some of the prison walls from way outside rifle range? They did have pintle-mounted M2s, or am I imagining that?

The governor sure giggled a lot while he ripped pff procesless rounds without aiming.
Interesting that he and Rick are bananas.

That was the best shot of the whole season. All he needed was a cigar to complete the unhinged bad guy look.

Courk
02-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Did Rick & co ever actually find the prison armoury? I remember he talked about it not being on site. What kind of weapons ould they find there anyway? The Governor has access to actual military weapons & vehicles (though I don't recall seeing a tank).

IIRC, there was an episode where an almost passing comment was made about there not being weapons at the armory (I'll see if I can find it and double check). All their smoke bombs and whatnot came from the guards they found inside.

FoieGrasIsEvil
02-19-2013, 09:13 PM
The scenes for the next episode strongly imply that this was a feeling out operation. They show Rick (hopefully back to his senses as this "I'm crazy for my dead woman" thing is utterly tiresome) talking to Carl in the prison, and they also show the Governor back at Woodbury. So the attack on the prison is somehow thwarted/abandoned and we are left with another standoff.

DigitalC
02-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Governor
White guy in the tower

There was another guy in the truck with the governor and the black guy, Michonne took him out.

Courk
02-19-2013, 09:17 PM
IIRC, there was an episode where an almost passing comment was made about there not being weapons at the armory (I'll see if I can find it and double check). All their smoke bombs and whatnot came from the guards they found inside.

Killer Within, as Daryl, Rick, and Glenn go outside the fence for firewood, Rick tells Glenn not to shoot the walker because they don't have ammo to spare since the armory had been wiped clean.

Governor
White guy in the tower

Anyone else try to read this post as a poem?

carnivorousplant
02-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Anyone else try to read this post as a poem?

Don't give up your day job.

:)

Debaser
02-20-2013, 08:31 AM
It seems to me that they want to convey that she's traumatized, but they didn't have the balls (or thought the audience was too delicate) to show or imply that she was raped or even violently gang raped. So they're treating what she actually did go through, which was skeevy but entirely minor in the context of her world, as if she were raped. So the audience sympathy, and the degree to which the character is shown to be traumatized, is way out of proportion here, which I guess is what's confusing me.

Good analysis.

This is why I was at first assuming that she did get raped, and it was off camera. Otherwise, why all the fuss?

I didn't read the comics, but on the Talking Dead they mentioned that in the comics the Governor does something really bad to Michonne. They seemed to infer it was so terrible that they wouldn't ever do something like that on this show. I wondered what it was and was thinking that they shouldn't wimp out so much. It's a zombie show. The audience can handle it.

salinqmind
02-20-2013, 09:28 AM
No. The show is intense enough as is. I don't know that the audience could handle something as appalling as hinted at, I know I would quit watching.

O/T, I love the Time Warner cable commercial with the zombies lurching through the suburban house and irate mom chewing out Darryl for shooting an arrow into the wall and ordering him (and her WD watching husband) to clean the place up!

Bryan Ekers
02-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Well, whatever it might be, we can be sure Michonne won't be blabbing on about it.

AngelSoft
02-20-2013, 10:13 AM
No. The show is intense enough as is. I don't know that the audience could handle something as appalling as hinted at, I know I would quit watching.

I agree. When Michonne was first introduced, I was worried they were going to keep that part from the comics. While what happened to Maggie wasn't as bad as rape, it still made me very uncomfortable watching it. There's no way I could sit through and watch what he does to Michonne in the comics. When we were watching Talking Dead, my mom kept asking me what happened to her and I just couldn't tell her. No way I want to explain everything that happened to my mom.

thinksnow
02-20-2013, 11:42 AM
I would almost bet that the Gov conducted the light assault specifically to incite a retaliation. The prison folks attach Woodbury again, which has beefed up it's guards quite a bit, and he gets to say, "See, I told you they were dangerous and had it out for us!"

John Mace
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
I didn't read the comics, but on the Talking Dead they mentioned that in the comics the Governor does something really bad to Michonne. They seemed to infer it was so terrible that they wouldn't ever do something like that on this show.

Let me guess: He made her read War and Peace... aloud!

Mavic Chen
02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
They sure heard the van long before it broke through the gate. So fighting zombies: everyone is a perfect shot nailing head shots every time usually on the run, but get into a shoot out and suddenly nobody can hit the side of a barn.

Have only just seen the episode so a little behind with the conversation, sorry! This was exactly my thought with the A-Team shoot out as well. Perfect head shots all the time every time, then shockingly bad aim when it counts. Plus I would have expected Rick to be a better shot what with being a policeman and all.

I agree. When Michonne was first introduced, I was worried they were going to keep that part from the comics. While what happened to Maggie wasn't as bad as rape, it still made me very uncomfortable watching it. There's no way I could sit through and watch what he does to Michonne in the comics. When we were watching Talking Dead, my mom kept asking me what happened to her and I just couldn't tell her. No way I want to explain everything that happened to my mom.

Please spoiler it for me, what happened to Michonne in the comics?

randwill
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I would almost bet that the Gov conducted the light assault specifically to incite a retaliation. The prison folks attach Woodbury again, which has beefed up it's guards quite a bit, and he gets to say, "See, I told you they were dangerous and had it out for us!"

But does it make any sense for our heroes to retaliate for the sake of retaliation?

sparky!
02-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Let me just say that my two favorite shows, Archer and The Walking Dead, are seriously letting me down.

I thought Home was just a weak episode and not one I'll be watching again any time soon.

AngelSoft
02-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Please spoiler it for me, what happened to Michonne in the comics?

Can't remember what the rules are for comic spoilers here so I'll go ahead and spoiler box it.

It basically boils down to a lot of very brutal rape and torture at the hands of the Governor. There was some pretty intense images in the comic but, if I remember correctly, the actual torture/rape is never shown. Still, it was very intense and disturbing and no way they could have shown it on tv. At least not without losing a lot of viewers.

carnivorousplant
02-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Let me guess: He made her read War and Peace... aloud!

Fiendish!

stegon66
02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Have only just seen the episode so a little behind with the conversation, sorry! This was exactly my thought with the A-Team shoot out as well. Perfect head shots all the time every time, then shockingly bad aim when it counts. Plus I would have expected Rick to be a better shot what with being a policeman and all.

I would think that's what an actual shootout would be like. Scrambling for some kind of cover (Rick had very little) and taking a shot when you can. Shooting zeds is something else: they don't shoot back and don't have the sense to dive for cover. They're easy pickings. Not so with armed enemies.

Debaser
02-20-2013, 01:23 PM
I would think that's what an actual shootout would be like. Scrambling for some kind of cover (Rick had very little) and taking a shot when you can. Shooting zeds is something else: they don't shoot back and don't have the sense to dive for cover. They're easy pickings. Not so with armed enemies.

Exactly. I am very surprised to see people complaining about it.

Other shootouts in the show have been awful.

The ambush of the military group by the Governor and his militia was very silly, for instance. A bunch of trained military guys all die nearly instantly with no casualties in response simply because the plot required it.

Rick and the group rescuing the brothers Dixon from Woodbury involved a few headshots and was very poorly written. Again, the violence was almost comically used as a plot device. Just enough shots were fired, and unimportant people killed to drive the story forward and get our heroes where they needed to be.

This was different. It was realistic, or at least attempted to be. People on both sides acted rationally, with the exception maybe of the Governor, who is crazy. Everyone else fought bravely but clearly wanted to live and most people took cover.

Sure we have some silliness such as the bulletproof body protecting someone from dozens of rounds. But it's a zombie show so I expect stuff like that. You know the special effects guy had fun rigging that up.

Soylent Juicy
02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Axel was starting to get a little sweet on Carol and his dead body ended up saving her life. Awwwww.

carnivorousplant
02-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Axel was starting to get a little sweet on Carol and his dead body ended up saving her life. Awwwww.

I still thing he was in prison for rape rather than armed robbery.
:)

Mavic Chen
02-20-2013, 03:08 PM
...Sure we have some silliness such as the bulletproof body protecting someone from dozens of rounds. But it's a zombie show so I expect stuff like that. You know the special effects guy had fun rigging that up...

Plus some of the zombie smushing action on the bridge when the car family got saved was satisfyingly gory, bet they had fun with that as well.

Bryan Ekers
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Wasn't Axel wearing some kind of Kevlar-ish vest, as was Carl?

whole bean
02-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Didn't Axel and the black prisoner bury some of their guys who died?

I don't think so. How many prisoners were there? Axel just got killed. Rick fed (or thought he fed) one of them to the zombies. Didn't two mutiny (so why would they get a proper burial)? Anyone know the answer to this?

Just Ed
02-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Anyone know the answer to this?The three graves were for T-Dog, Lori, and Carol. Remember at the time they hadn't found Carol and believed her dead (and Daryl places a cherokee rose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Rose_%28The_Walking_Dead%29) on the grave). They made the prisoners dig the graves, and yes, I suppose two of the three were empty (or maybe they buried some specific mementos for Lori and Carol).

SenorBeef
02-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Plus I would have expected Rick to be a better shot what with being a policeman and all.

In my experience, cops that aren't hobbyist shooters (so maybe 80% of them) are awful shots. You'd be amazed at how many cops just get by with the minimum possible skill needed to pass the very basic qualifications to carry their guns.

alphaboi867
02-20-2013, 05:44 PM
In my experience, cops that aren't hobbyist shooters (so maybe 80% of them) are awful shots. You'd be amazed at how many cops just get by with the minimum possible skill needed to pass the very basic qualifications to carry their guns.

Plus most cops never actually use their firearms outside of the shooting range.

whole bean
02-20-2013, 05:45 PM
The three graves were for T-Dog, Lori, and Carol. Remember at the time they hadn't found Carol and believed her dead (and Daryl places a cherokee rose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Rose_%28The_Walking_Dead%29) on the grave). They made the prisoners dig the graves, and yes, I suppose two of the three were empty (or maybe they buried some specific mementos for Lori and Carol).

That's what I thought. Fucking dumb. If I recall, they were dragging ass doing it out in the heat, too. Why dig full-length graves unless you're burying a body? Even these tent-sleeping-in-a-zombie-apocalypse lower-Glenn-down-the-well dipshits wouldn't do that. Dumb, dumb, dumb. At least they're consistent in the dumb (this time). Such a fucking disappointment, this show.

SenorBeef
02-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Most cops never actually use their firearms outside of the shooting rang.

I know, but you'd think they'd want to be good at it since their lives may depend on it.

MeanJoe
02-21-2013, 08:40 AM
There are a lot of possibilities here. Lots of people are right handed but left eye dominant. If this is detected early, the usual advice is to shoot left handed. But lots of people end up shooting right handed, but with their left eye aiming. This obviously won't work with a scoped rifle, but it would work with a handgun or anything else.

To date in the show, The Governor has shot right handed and aimed with his right eye. Since losing his eye, his aiming has also been from his right eye. I wasn't saying one cannot shoot right handed and use their left eye aiming - I'm saying The Governor is not one of those people and continues after being blinded to aim with his right (non-existant) eye.

Plus, the governor didn't snipe during the shootout that I can recall. He had a sniper back at his truck firing aimed shots. He was just laying down grazing fire. He was having a great time just spraying fully automatic fire to keep everyone's heads down. I don't think he was actually trying to hit anyone specifically.

The Governor aiming with his right/blind eye through a scope during the shootout. (https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/179666_338798112886841_799922646_n.jpg)

Debaser
02-21-2013, 09:40 AM
To date in the show, The Governor has shot right handed and aimed with his right eye. Since losing his eye, his aiming has also been from his right eye. I wasn't saying one cannot shoot right handed and use their left eye aiming - I'm saying The Governor is not one of those people and continues after being blinded to aim with his right (non-existant) eye.

You've been paying attention.

That pic says it all. I can't believe that they would be so stupid. The bad writing knows no bounds.

shiftless
02-21-2013, 11:02 AM
You've been paying attention.

That pic says it all. I can't believe that they would be so stupid. The bad writing knows no bounds.

That explains why he can't hit anything. Maybe that's bad directing though.

I agree the writing is pretty bad sometimes. One thing about this show that continues to disappoint me is that the characters keep doing the same stupid stuff that nobody who has ever seen a horror movie would ever do: splitting up, wondering around alone in the dark, turning your back on "empty" doorways. And the gunfight scenes are usually terrible too but that is true of most shows so I'm not sure that directors even know their gunfights are silly.

A great show when they stick to dealing with the hardships of the end of the world. Not so great when they slip into tired old shoot-em-ups and handwringing about love lives.

Zjestika
02-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Wasn't Axel wearing some kind of Kevlar-ish vest, as was Carl?

That might have been how his body saved Carol. But the first shot to the head killed him.

Bryan Ekers
02-21-2013, 04:24 PM

The Governor aiming with his right/blind eye through a scope during the shootout. (https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/179666_338798112886841_799922646_n.jpg)

Well, he hasn't yet trained himself to shoot left-handed (and probably wouldn't bother to do so) so as long as he's okay with never hitting anything, I guess it's okay.

That might have been how his body saved Carol. But the first shot to the head killed him.

Well, it probably did. In any case, the repeated bullets raking his body (but not completely penetrating it) finished him off.

Human Action
02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Sure we have some silliness such as the bulletproof body protecting someone from dozens of rounds. But it's a zombie show so I expect stuff like that. You know the special effects guy had fun rigging that up.

I'm willing to give them that, since the rounds that were hitting poor Axel were 5.56x45mm, a round that's designed to fragment easily in tissue rather than overpenetrate and waste energy. If it'd been 7.62mm rounds from Martinez's FN-FAL, then I'd cry foul.

TBG
02-22-2013, 03:45 PM
I don't think so. How many prisoners were there? Axel just got killed. Rick fed (or thought he fed) one of them to the zombies. Didn't two mutiny (so why would they get a proper burial)? Anyone know the answer to this?

Oh, maybe I was conflating things with Tyrese's group. Didn't they have to bury someone?

Ellis Dee
02-22-2013, 09:47 PM
They made the prisoners dig the graves, and yes, I suppose two of the three were empty (or maybe they buried some specific mementos for Lori and Carol).They didn't make the prisoners dig the graves. The prisoners offered, and Glenn refused, presumedly because "we bury our own."

Eventually Glenn relented, and grudgingly allowed them to finish the three graves he'd already half-completed.

If I recall, they were dragging ass doing it out in the heat, too.They may have been, but it wasn't shown.

alphaboi867
02-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Oh, maybe I was conflating things with Tyrese's group. Didn't they have to bury someone?

Yes, the teenage boy's mother who was bitten (& whom Carl casually offered to destroy).

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.