PDA

View Full Version : Clive Davis Comes Out (Bisexual)

DMark
02-19-2013, 11:55 AM
As per this Hollywood Reporter article (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earshot/clive-davis-comes-closet-katie-422277), Clive Davis opens up about his current relationship with a man and his failed marriage with a woman (although he does have three adult sons from that relationship).

In case you are not sure who Clive Davis is, this is the guy who "discovered" or at least signed such acts as Janis Joplin, Bruce Springsteen, Whitney Houston, Alicia Keys, Barry Manilow, Santana and dozens more.

He is still an executive with Sony Music - and still a powerful force in the music industry despite being 80 years old.

I am sure this sudden open discussion has something to do with an upcoming autobiography - but I guess "better late than never" would be an apt description of the news.

JamesQueue
02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
For a moment, I thought you were talking about hunky actor Clive Owen.

Sampiro
02-19-2013, 12:09 PM
This is just his feeble attempt at sending a three-way bootycall invite out to Jim Nabors.

Acsenray
02-19-2013, 12:11 PM
I thought it was actor Clive Francis (http://www.actorclivefrancis.com/userimages/clive1.jpg).

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
I thought, "Clive Davis is still alive?"

bouv
02-19-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't know who Clive Davis is, but when I first saw the thread title, I was getting the name mixed with with Clive Cussler, so you can imagine my confusion.

Sampiro
02-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Or Clive Barker, who's been openly gay for years and years.

Hamlet
02-19-2013, 01:00 PM
I thought you were talking about the male half of Bonnie and Clive. It would certainly make me re-evaluate the name Pretty Boy Floyd.

Labrador Deceiver
02-19-2013, 01:06 PM
I was thinking of Clive Anderson from Who's Line is it Anyway. For some reason, I wasn't surprised.

drewtwo99
02-19-2013, 01:08 PM
I knew exactly who you were talking about... for a moment, then I started to doubt myself and confused it with Clive Owen.

Then I opened the thread and all was right again in my heart.

Well, good for Clive.

gaffa
02-19-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm reminded of the line from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel:
"You're gay?"
"More in theory than in practice these days."

Hamlet
02-19-2013, 01:20 PM
See, I thought it was Clive, Iowa, the western suburb of Des Moines. I always thought it had a bit of a crush on both Adel and Merle Hay.

Kimstu
02-19-2013, 01:21 PM
I was thinking of Clive Anderson from Who's Line is it Anyway. For some reason, I wasn't surprised.

So was I. Actually, it occurs to me that I can't think of any well-known entertainment figure about whom I would be really surprised if they came out as bisexual.

(Is it wrong of me to add "especially male British ones"? Don't get me wrong, I think British male actors in general are very manly* and I adore several of them, but British guys, at least the famous ones, just seem to come across as being less hung up about sexual orientation categories than non-Brits.)

* Standard disclaimer: Not that bisexual or homosexual men are necessarily any less manly than heterosexual men, of course; I put that in just because when somebody says that they wouldn't be surprised if so-and-so turned out to be bisexual or homosexual, that is commonly interpreted as being a dig at so-and-so's manliness, and I repudiate that interpretation.

Hamlet
02-19-2013, 01:41 PM
See, I thought it was Clive Christian (http://www.clive.com/en/), the British designer and maker of the world's most expensive perfume.

Acsenray
02-19-2013, 01:52 PM
So long as we're listing people named Clive, I'd like to mention Clive James, whose name is really Vivian.

Hamlet
02-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Aha. I thought it was Miles Davis, the famous jazz trumpter.

Sampiro
02-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm reminded of the line from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel:
"You're gay?"
"More in theory than in practice these days."

I owe the screenwriter about $12 in royalties for the number of times I've used that line (always with attribution, I will note).

Vinyl Turnip
02-19-2013, 02:37 PM
I am sure this sudden open discussion has something to do with an upcoming autobiography - but I guess "better late than never" would be an apt description of the news.

I guess. Then again, "so what" could be an apt response to it.

Rachellelogram
02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
bah, ninjerd

Sampiro
02-19-2013, 04:37 PM
I guess. Then again, "so what" could be an apt response to it.

About three questions after "Who's Clive Davis?" of course.

Drunky Smurf
02-19-2013, 04:41 PM
See, I thought it was Clive my neighbors cat. I always suspected something.

FrankJBN
02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
"I guess "better late than never" would be an apt description of the news. "

Why? Of what particular interest to you are the sexual predilections, historic or otherwise, of an 80 year old?

Apparently it is "news" and of interest to some folks as it is a topic here (social media), but is that because it it Clive Davis? Or do you see doddering old men on the street and wonder if they engaged in anal sex in the 80s?

Kimstu
02-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Why? Of what particular interest to you are the sexual predilections, historic or otherwise, of an 80 year old?

Well, I can't speak for DMark, but ISTM that if we're going to have celebrity gossip interviews where celebrities chatter about their personal relationships, at least the celebrities shouldn't have to pretend that any relationship they might have with a member of the same sex doesn't exist out of fear that being honest about such a relationship might prove disastrous for their careers, not to mention their personal safety.

Yes, it's a pity that it took so long for our society to get to the point where a successful and presumably respectable businessman can publicly admit to something as innocuous as having a same-sex relationship with a fellow consenting adult without having to worry about serious repercussions in his career and his life. But better late than never.

Or do you see doddering old men on the street and wonder if they engaged in anal sex in the 80s?

Pssst: same-sex relationships between males do not necessarily involve anal sex. Some gay guys don't like it and/or prefer other sexual activities.

FrankJBN
02-20-2013, 10:09 AM
I don't think it is a pity it took so long for our society to get to the point where people make news announcements about their sex partners - I think it's a shame.

What business is it of yours or mine or anyone's who's boinking who - or possibly not engaging in boinking as you insist upon noting.

"Some gay guys don't like it and/or prefer other sexual activities."

Even better - a hypothetical dispute about which sex acts some stranger to you may have engaged in decades ago. Allow me to reply - psst - some people, gay or straight do like it. Some don't care for intercourse of any sort apparently, but since the topic forced upon the public is sex that this geriatric once had it is not an extraordinary presumption that he engaged in sex.

Possibly he wouldn't have deemed it newsworthy if all he did was get a blowjob in a men's room..

StGermain
02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Who cares about his sexual orientation - Kelly Clarkson says he was mean to her. :mad: (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/kelly-clarkson-slams-legend-clive-davis-article-1.1268559) **stompy foot**

StG

Acsenray
02-20-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't think it is a pity it took so long for our society to get to the point where people make news announcements about their sex partners - I think it's a shame.

It's a necessary step in the evolution of our society. So I welcome that it's happening. It means things are getting better.

Kimstu
02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
What business is it of yours or mine or anyone's who's boinking who -

Oh, I see. Your purpose in participating in this thread started for the purpose of discussing the voluntary public revelations of a particular celebrity about his personal life is simply to complain that the personal lives of celebrities are nobody else's business.

I believe this is known as "threadshitting".

If you don't like celebrity "TMI interviews" or online conversations about them, then by all means feel free to avoid them---we're not going to chase after you and insist that you participate. But it's kind of a dick move to jump into a thread whose subject matter you disapprove of just to announce that you disapprove of it.

DMark
02-20-2013, 12:50 PM

Apparently it is "news" and of interest to some folks as it is a topic here (social media), but is that because it it Clive Davis? Or do you see doddering old men on the street and wonder if they engaged in anal sex in the 80s?

Well, the thread title was unambiguous - Celebrity + Coming Out.
So, by the fact that you clicked on the thread, read it, and felt the necessity to comment upon the fact, shows that YOU were obviously one of the "some folks" interested enough in the "sexual predilections, historic or otherwise, of an 80 year old". Hugh Hefner just recently got married to a tot, and that made news - were you equally riled up and graphically ranting about him pounding his meat in virgin territory?

I am old enough to remember Clive Davis as a true maker and shaker in the music industry, and he still is. So if the story had been that he had cancer, or that he fired his entire staff, or that he bought out iTunes - all would have been of interest to me. The fact that he has come out is also of equal interest - simply because he has been an influential public figure for many decades and I am interested in what makes him tick.

And yes, as a Gay man this did have some significance to me. I find it interesting that older men in the public eye who have had to live their lives in secret are now finally finding the courage to come out. It is one thing for a 20 year old celebrity to do so - they have no memory of the the days you could be arrested or ruining your entire career in doing so. But for people like Clive Davis (or the recent news about Jim Nabors marrying his partner), this is a historical social breakthrough. For me at least, this further shows that times are changing and even those who have been terrified for decades of their "secret" coming out are no longer afraid of being honest. For someone his age to do so speaks volumes on our current level of social acceptance.

Antinor01
02-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Or Clive Barker, who's been openly gay for years and years.

That's who I thought of at first. I was wondering why he was suddenly bi instead of gay.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.