PDA

View Full Version : Best Evil Dead movie?

Mahaloth
02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
I had never seen Evil Dead 1 until Monday, when I streamed it off Netflix. Naturally, I had to follow this with Evil Dead 2(not seen in over a decade) and Army of Darkness, which I've seen 10 times.

I have to say, I was surprised to discover that I find Evil Dead 2 to be the best one. I had assumed Army of Darkness was my favorite, but I have to say that Evil Dead 2 was amazing.

Which one do you think is best? Yes, I've included Within the Woods, a film I have not seen.

silenus
02-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Army of Darkness still wins for me.

hogarth
02-20-2013, 02:40 PM
The best parts of Evil Dead 2 are better than the best parts of Army of Darkness, but the worst parts of Evil Dead 2 are more boring than the worst parts of Army of Darkness.

Meatros
02-20-2013, 03:27 PM
The best parts of Evil Dead 2 are better than the best parts of Army of Darkness, but the worst parts of Evil Dead 2 are more boring than the worst parts of Army of Darkness.

I totally agree with you. I give AoD a bit of an edge, because, hey Bridget Fonda...Also it has a brief recap of everything.

Snowboarder Bo
02-20-2013, 03:36 PM

This, plus AoD has way more and way better quotable lines. Both Raimi and Campbell were at the top of their "B-list about to move up in fame and reputation but still having just enough 'don't give a fuck' fun for it to really show onscreen" game for AoD.

Battle Pope
02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
ED2 is the best if you are after over-the-top horror, but AOD is a lot more fun.

LawMonkey
02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Mark me down for AoD as well, though I don't approve of the "Directors Cut" that they tend to show on TV these days. A lot (though not all) of those scenes wound up on the cutting room floor for a reason, and I generally prefer the S-Mart ending.

Hail to the king, baby.

BMalion
02-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Your primative minds wouldn't grasp why Army Of Darkness is the best one, has to do with molecules and stuff.

drewtwo99
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Army Of Darkness wins for me, but when I was a kid the first Evil Dead was about the most terrifying thing I could ever imagine. I think in its time it was genuinely frightening and very well done as a straight up horror movie.

Evil Dead 2 is interesting but I feel like it was more of a bridge between the straight up horror of the first (which was fantastic) and the campy romp that was AoD. So it's unique but it doesn't do either straight horror or whimsical horror superbly and seems somewhat in the middle. But I still like it, and at its best moments it is quite good.

outlierrn
02-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Groovy!

Capt Kirk
02-20-2013, 05:56 PM
AoD, ED2 is good but AoD is so much more fun and quotable

This is my boom stick, aw baby that's just pillow talk etc.

Capt

Bryan Ekers
02-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Army of Darkness, no doubt, but the animated series ReBoot did an extensive spoof of Evil Dead which is worth watching, starting at around 9:08 here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=tx_V0Jh7p84&feature=endscreen).

Chronos
02-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Army of Darkness was great, but it's not really an Evil Dead movie, it's a time-travel action adventure movie. So I'm going to go with the second one, which took what was good with the first one and improved on it.

And I've never even heard of Within the Woods.

Meatros
02-20-2013, 06:19 PM
And I've never even heard of Within the Woods.

It's the short movie that Ramey (sp?) used to pitch to the studios to make The Evil Dead. I think I read that it's no longer available and that the originals re lost; ie, you can't find it anymore.

I'd love to be misremembering this though. I'd like to see it, for a sense of completeness, not because I think it will be good.

vd
02-20-2013, 06:47 PM
My favorite is the stage musical (http://www.evildeadthemusical.com).

blondebear
02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
I went with the The Evil Dead. The others may be have higher production values and more quotable lines, but I have to give props to the one that really started it all off.

SirGalahad
02-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Here is why Evil Dead 2 is the best of four interesting movies ... of which I've seen three:

Evil Dead 2 firmly established the Evil Dead Mythos in a real movie with real (within reason) distribution and reasonable production values, all things considered. It also segued into AOD, so I consider it to be AOD part one, or optionally, AOD is Evil Dead Part 2 part 2.

Evil Dead is my favorite, but not as good a movie in a number of ways, IMO.

BMalion
02-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Army of Darkness, no doubt, but the animated series ReBoot did an extensive spoof of Evil Dead which is worth watching, starting at around 9:08 here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=tx_V0Jh7p84&feature=endscreen).

How do you spoof a spoof?

Mahaloth
02-20-2013, 09:13 PM
How do you spoof a spoof?

I wouldn't classify Evil Dead 1 as a spoof. It's just an way, way, way over the top horror movie. It's not even really a comedy.

gladtobeblazed
02-21-2013, 12:54 AM
I much prefer the more straight horror of the original to the camp of the second. I'm not even sure if I've seen Army of Darkness.

Mavic Chen
02-21-2013, 03:21 AM
Within the Woods can be found on various torrent sites, a VHS to digital rip but still watchable. It's very good, surprisingly like Evil Dead 2 actually.

TommyTutone
02-21-2013, 06:23 AM
I voted for Evil Dead 2. It did not take itself seriously like the first one, although it too was a great movie, but as a teenager, watching the final scene just blew my mind away. You go from evil house, evil spirits, demons, all of it, leading to getting dumped into this medieval world. It was just the most amazing payoff and completely out of left field.

Grrr!
02-21-2013, 07:44 AM
ED2 was a horror? I thought it was a comedy.

I picked ED2 but AOD comes in a very close second.

Part of what makes these movies such comedic genius is the camera work. Zoom in, zoom out, zoom in, zoom out. I also loved how if the hero fell down on the ground fighting off some demon creature, the camera man would also fall down right along with him. Classic.

Uncle Brother Walker
02-21-2013, 08:48 PM
I liked AoD. Great quotes, great story and good humor.

ED2's twist ending was pretty cool as well, but I think the vortex to get there was a bit much. Although I did enjoy seeing the Caddy (or whatever) fall with Ash. I did think the whole scene with the "mini-Ashes" was a bit over the top. Or rather, under the bridge.

Kepler1571
02-22-2013, 07:38 AM
ED, by a large margin. (A+)

ED2 is dumb, and not in a good way. (D)

AoD is dumb, in a good way, but so's mud wrestling. (B+)

ED had scenes that were actually scary, and scary scenes are more rare than competent actresses. It's a classic, the others are just assembly line product.

LawMonkey
02-22-2013, 08:51 AM
I never really got all the love for the original movie as a horror flick. I watched it just before starting undergrad, and we MST3K'd the hell out of it. Wasn't difficult, either--apparently EVIL has a really hard time with doors, and Ash was always just sorta hanging out in the background, displaying some sort of idiot-savant genre savvy by avoiding just about every horror movie trope you could imagine.

But then, I'm not a horror fan. A friend made me watch The Ring one time. Apparently it's supposed to be good too, and I demolished it as well.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.