PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Sweet Corn... mmmm.

Spud
06-22-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm hesitant each year early on as to when the corn becomes edible. Tonight I braved it and bought four ears still in the husk.

Trimmed off the silks at the top and most of the stem... leaving enough to pull back the husks and leave a handle. Soaked in cold water for about 30 minutes while I fired up the grill.

Tossed them on a hot grill, turning from time to time, and the only timer I use is my nose... when it smells like corn it is done. Peeled back the husks and silks (much easier to do when cooked than before), a little salt and rub a stick of butter on it... It was heaven.

The best part is I know it will only get better through the summer. I know this isn't local corn, and there are farms where in the summer I can get it within hours of being picked, but tonight was the reminder of what is to come.

Lots of people say to peel it before and rub with spiced butter, but I just love the basic method.

Whoever posted that Google messed up that this isn't the beginning of summer... I disagree. Good corn is the true start. (now just waiting for great tomatoes to make it official).

Spud
06-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Oops... intended for Cafe Society.

elbows
06-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Hey, hey! I just finished off three cobs of sweet corn! Yummo!

Cheez_Whia
06-22-2013, 08:44 PM
I reported this for forum change. :)

I de-husk the whole thing and wrap the ears in foil with a little extra-virgin olive oil. Amazing, just amazing!

silenus
06-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Since I have facial hair, on the cob is contra-indicated. So we will grill corn until it is nicely charred, then de-cob it and mix with lime juice, cotija cheese, a little mayo and some pepper flake.

Yum!

Spud
06-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Since I have facial hair, on the cob is contra-indicated. So we will grill corn until it is nicely charred, then de-cob it and mix with lime juice, cotija cheese, a little mayo and some pepper flake.

Yum!

I have a full beard and mustache... it's called left overs.

Rachellelogram
06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Since I have facial hair, on the cob is contra-indicated.
My boyfriend doesn't let facial hair get in his way. What kind of man are you?? ;)

But seriously, likewise for me... as a result of my most recent (shoddy) dental work. Any time so much as a single grain of salt gets in between my two front teeth--which, no matter how careful I am, happens around the third bite--I get the refreshing sensation that I'm being stabbed repeatedly in the brain with a katana. It's just not the same when I have to slice it off. :(

silenus
06-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Both corn on the con and watermelon are a no-no for me unless I am sitting outside with a garden hose handy. Otherwise the mess is just too much to tolerate. Besides, I really LIKE Baja corn.

ThelmaLou
06-22-2013, 09:05 PM
I like the husk on, because the charred husk imparts that true, characteristic roasted corn flavor. Foil? NO WAY. I like mine with lemon pepper and jalapeno salt. (https://www.fiestaspices.com/index.asp?page=jalapenosalt)

Idle Thoughts
06-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Oops... intended for Cafe Society.

There you go.

Spud
06-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Both corn on the con and watermelon are a no-no for me unless I am sitting outside with a garden hose handy. Otherwise the mess is just too much to tolerate. Besides, I really LIKE Baja corn.

I've had my beard since I was 21... 31 years now. If it in any way stopped me from enjoying corn on the cob or a fresh slice of watermelon I'd shave it in a minute. I keep it closely trimmed so maybe that is the difference.

Your corn sounds great and I'm sure I'll try it sometime this summer, but fresh, grilled, hot off the grill it ain't.

slowlearner
06-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Soak and grill it, butter salt and pepper, makes me very happy I have all my teeth.

simster
06-22-2013, 09:50 PM
why soak? seriously ?

Straight from market to hot grill - 30 mins later, done. once you get the nice char - peel and eat - add butter/salt/pepper to taste.

best thing I ever learned - simple and the wife thinks I'm a genius.

ThelmaLou
06-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Soaking isn't necessary, but it hydrates the husk and adds to the steaming effect. Good either way.

standingwave
06-22-2013, 10:28 PM
I usually just steam them in my rice cooker which has the added benefit of keeping them moist.

pulykamell
06-23-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm not much of a corn eater, but grilled, no husk is the way I roll. Then either eat it plain with a little butter and salt, or fancy it up with lime and hot pepper.

araminty
06-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Me too, grilled no husk. You don't get the charry spots with the husk still on.

Chefguy
06-23-2013, 12:58 PM
I like the husk on, because the charred husk imparts that true, characteristic roasted corn flavor. Foil? NO WAY. I like mine with lemon pepper and jalapeno salt. (https://www.fiestaspices.com/index.asp?page=jalapenosalt)

I use foil because I hate fussing with the husk and silk after the corn is the temperature of molten lava. I baste mine with melted butter and olive oil, sprinkle with chili powder, wrap in foil and roast. When done, baste again with melted butter and lime juice and add salt.

wedgehed
06-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Damn, y'all are making me hungry.

Has anyone grilled watermelon slices? I've been wanting to try that.

pulykamell
06-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Me too, grilled no husk. You don't get the charry spots with the husk still on.

That's my reason, too. You can get some charring doing it in-husk, but I prefer the straight-up grilled approach for the more thorough browning and the stronger grilled charcoal/wood flavor. You do have to pay attention to it more, though.

Hampshire
06-23-2013, 02:02 PM
I do the soaking thing also and put them on the grill in husk. Done when the husk turns black.
Butter em up and lightly dust with Cayenne pepper. Spicy sweet corn, yum.

Spud
06-23-2013, 02:05 PM
I'll admit... I don't think I've ever had corn on the cob prepared in a way I didn't like it (other than starting with bad corn)... Steamed, boiled, Grilled husk on, off, or in foil, even smoked. I've just found that husk on and soaked and put on the grill is the easiest and hardest to screw up. My daughter came home last night around 9 and was upset that I only saved her two ears.

BurnMeUp
06-24-2013, 03:15 PM
no husk
rubbed in olive oil
finished with butter, salt and pepper, and a little cayenne or chipotle powder

leftfield6
06-24-2013, 03:41 PM
husk corn
save the leaves
roll in melted butter
pepper, salt, and sometimes other stuff
sometimes Old bay seasoning, it adds a little something.
wrap corn in leaves like you're re-husking it, tie with bakers string
grill
consume

johnpost
06-24-2013, 03:54 PM
take all the silk off, peel back enough to do so and then lay it back. soak so it will char less and steam more. though some liked the kernels cooked down some and slightly brown, this is where the ears that are still on the grill after the first helping are enjoyed for their chewy goodness.

madmonk28
06-24-2013, 04:28 PM
I like to butter them and then roll each ear in a course salt and pepper mix. I then grill them with some wood chips on the coals and the lid down to give them a nice smokey flavor.

stui magpie
06-24-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm in the foil camp. Peel every thing off, rub with butter, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, roll in foil and throw on the grill/BBQ, turning every few minutes.

you still get the nice charred bits. Yum.

Pitchmeister
06-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Do NOT try that. Me and my buddy once tried to extinguish a portable one-use grill with a bit of leftover watermelon. The smell haunts my nightmares to this day...

N9IWP
06-24-2013, 08:23 PM
Used to it in husk, switched to without. I put the cob under the faucet but otherwise nothing on it. I put the butter / salt / spices on after grilling.

Brian

kbear
06-25-2013, 06:13 PM

I've not tried watermelon but grilled pineapple slices are amazing.

Missy2U
06-25-2013, 09:05 PM
I can't ever get it right on the grill. Plus, the smokey flavor from the grill just doesn't work for corn for my son or I - and my husband doesn't eat it anyway.

No, I take that back - my HUSBAND can't get it right on the grill. I end up just plain nuking it when I want it to turn out right. Then we (son and I) chow down with a little salt and a TON of butter put on each ear after the nuking process. (Actually, it works out really well - husband takes the steaks off the grill, and then I start the corn. This way the steaks get to REST - otherwise he'd be all cutting them up the second they came off the grill. The barbarian. :) )

Oslo Ostragoth
06-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Purist here. No grilling - boiled, steamed or nuked for that tender juicy awesomeness.

D_Odds
06-27-2013, 04:20 AM
I leave a single layer or two of husk and take off the silk before putting it to the grill. Water bottle to handle flare ups. With just one layer, I get plenty of char.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.