PDA

View Full Version : What on earth can you do with malted barley powder?

Anise
06-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Hi all,

So I was at the Korean grocery store, and I picked up a big bag of malted barley flour... it was on sale, and I'm supposed to eat more barley, according to the Ancestral Diet Plan. I have no idea what to do with it!~ I can't seem to find any info, either. It doesn't really look like flour... it's not really ground... there are a lot of husks (I think?) Could it be a breakfast cereal? Could you make quick bread? What?

All advice appreciated. :)

HoneyBadgerDC
06-23-2013, 09:38 PM
I tried to use it for a stew base and it didn't thicken like flower. Not too bad mixed with flour as a coating for chicken. I doubt I will eveb buy it again. My son uses it in beer making.

dropzone
06-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Make malted milks or fatten up your kids.

Colibri
06-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Moved to Cafe Society.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Alice The Goon
06-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Is this the same stuff that they use to make "malts", as in malted shakes? If so, you could make malts. Or, a couple of years ago when I was on a cheesecake kick, I wanted to make a malt cheesecake but could never figure out how to get the malt stuff, so if it is the malted shake stuff, you could make a malt cheesecake with it and send me a piece. I ended up using some kind of malt-flavored Carnation Instant Breakfast or something like that, but it just wasn't the same as a real malt.

Anise
06-24-2013, 12:26 AM
The thing is that it's full of husks. It's not really powder. It looks kind of like weird breakfast cereal... full of fiber. It's a little like if someone took whole barley and hit it with a flail.
I really don't know about putting this in a cheesecake. I don't think anybody would like it. ;)
(I still think this would be better in gen questions, because I'm looking for information... but hopefully people will see it here too.)

the_diego
06-24-2013, 03:58 AM
Boil it, add hops, cool, add brewer's yeast, cover in shrink-wrap, skim off the floating gunk for the next two weeks, see whether or not the liquid has cleared, siphon the clear liquid into PET bottles, add two tablespoons of sugar water, seal, let stand for five days, refrigerate.

Floater
06-24-2013, 06:02 AM
Malted barley is generally used when making beer. ;)

Broomstick
06-24-2013, 07:01 AM
It is also a not uncommon additive to bread these days.

Chefguy
06-24-2013, 10:38 AM
It is also a not uncommon additive to bread these days.

Only if it's non-diastatic malt powder. It adds texture to the bread and crunchiness to the crust. It's a key ingredient in making bagels and pretzels.

geneb
06-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Does it look like this (http://www.brewmonkey.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/0274.gif)? If so, it is just crushed malted barley.

You can mash it to convert the starches and make beer. Or do a similar process and reduce it to make a sweet malt syrup that would go great anywhere that you would use sugar, honey, pancake syrup, etc.

If you don't want to bother with mashing it, you could looks up recipes for using spent brewing grain. You can add it to breads/cookies/muffins, make dog treats, add it to granola, etc. It isn't entirely unpleasant, but a porridge of sorts can be made with it. It's a bit rough, though. Spent grain recipes (http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/category/spentgrainchef/).

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.