PDA

View Full Version : Warehouse 13, is it just me?

Sweetums
06-28-2013, 11:46 AM
I used to love this show. I even have the Farnsworth sound as my ringtone. Lately, especially this past season, it really seems to have gone downhill.

Prius Whoring: The who is sponsored by (Toyota) Prius did you know that? They all drive Priuses, that they call by name (I'll drive there in my Prius, let me look in my Prius for the thing in the Prius back seat), and will often point out the features like they were selling them. (hey, I'm hungry, let me check my Prius navigation system for a restraint, good thing I have a Prius). There was one series of web episodes, that was basically one big Prius commercial. I understand product placement, but honestly that annoying redheaded girl in the Wendy's adds is more subtle.

Stupidity: Way to many plots seem to hinge on what TV tropes calls the idiot ball. Characters doing something that not only would their character not rationally do., but often that no sane human being would do. For example Claudia meeting a homeless waif, and deciding to take him home with her like a lost puppy. Surprise, he's actually working for the bad guys. Was there one person who wasn't a character on the show who didn't see that coming like a neon lit train with it's horn blowing, and a Spinal Tap concert on board.

Ineptness: Honestly has any bad guy NOT gotten the drop on these people? They are supposed to have some sort of training, and since they are walking int dangers situations on a daily basis, they might have perhaps, developed some sort of awareness. They also all seem to graduated from the X-files school of dropping your weapon as soon as a threat appears. And hey, would someone perhaps realize that since they get fooled every other week by someone using an artifact to disguise themselves, that perhaps they need a way to guard against that, or at least tell friend from foe.

Now Mika has cancer. Cue melodrama, so they can pretend they are dealing with a serious issue.

All of this just come down to lazy bad writing. If the writers can't think of any way to advance the plot except to have the characters act like morons, drop their guns and have a guy in taps shoes singing show tunes sneak up on them while they were busy surfing the internet on their Prius, its time for me to stop watching. I heard somewhere that this is the last season, but it has gone at least one season too far already.

This thread was not in any way brought to you by Prius.

Amateur Barbarian
06-28-2013, 12:16 PM
WH13 started well, leveled out quickly, scattered into incoherence in the last season. As I said in other threads, we were ready to pick up the second part of the latter portion of part two of the post-hiatus season now running... and could not remember a single significant plot line from the first half of the season. It's just a jumble of half-remembered events lost in a morass of scampering for scampering's sake. We haven't been able to find the new eps on any of the pay services and at this point, may not bother until they show up free somewhere.

Kind of a waste, yet again, of a nifty and never-die concept.

carnivorousplant
06-28-2013, 01:03 PM
I was afraid that the kid was going to replace Claudia as Token Young Person, and that Claudia would be promoted by Mrs. Frederics.
We still enjoy the program.

Face Intentionally Left Blank
06-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Whoa. Warehouse 13 is back on again? Gotta go catch up! Be back later!

Snooooopy
06-30-2013, 04:52 PM
The Prius whoring has made me roll my eyes just a bit, but I still feel like it has been the model of subtlety compared to how Chuck clubbed us over the head with Subway promotions. Now all THAT stuff was pretty annoying. But in either case, if those placements meant those shows enjoyed an extra season or two of existence, then I suppose that's probably worth it.

carnivorousplant
06-30-2013, 06:37 PM
The only instance I recall was Claudia ooing and gooing over Steve's car.

Greg Charles
06-30-2013, 07:27 PM
In-show product placement is inevitable, and it's going to be more prevalent in shows that are commonly DVRed. It's the price of watching a show that a high percentage of geeks in its fan base. The lazy writing is more of a problem to me.

carnivorousplant
06-30-2013, 07:49 PM
In-show product placement is inevitable, and it's going to be more prevalent in shows that are commonly DVRed.

Good point.
Claudia sounded like a salesperson in the scene that I recall. :)

The Controvert
06-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Just popped in to say the Wendy's pitchwoman is not annoying. She's a cute, younger version of Alyson Hannigan. That is all.

D_Odds
07-01-2013, 09:29 AM
These shows need to make the $$ for all the cheesy SFX somewhere. I enjoy the show. I don't take it seriously, though I do constantly note to Mrs. Odds how Pete and Mika's Secret Service training has really lapsed. They both need to head back to a 12 week boot camp.

This current viewing season is an extended 20-episode season. They will then conclude with an 8 episode season (season 5 IIRC).

I've forgotten...why are Farnsworth's better than cell phones? Great if they work where there is no signal, but that should be the backup. I did like how they hung a lampshade on Artie's bag of tricks last episode. I've taken to calling him Felix the Cat.

GuanoLad
07-01-2013, 09:42 AM
I've forgotten...why are Farnsworth's better than cell phones? Great if they work where there is no signal, but that should be the backup. I did like how they hung a lampshade on Artie's bag of tricks last episode. I've taken to calling him Felix the Cat.I was wondering that. They are on a private network, and I think that in the first season it was before anyone really used video calls. But now they seem clunky and awkward.

simster
07-01-2013, 11:16 AM
I was wondering that. They are on a private network, and I think that in the first season it was before anyone really used video calls. But now they seem clunky and awkward.

They are clunkcy and awkward - but retro clunky and awkward, so they are cool, in a clunky and awkward way.

D_Odds
07-01-2013, 11:31 AM
They are clunkcy and awkward - but retro clunky and awkward, so they are cool, in a clunky and awkward way.Hipster and secret service agent just don't go together - even with warehouse secret service agents.

carnivorousplant
07-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Why does Pete carry a Telsa weapon and Mika a semi automatic pistol?

simster
07-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Why does Pete carry a Telsa weapon and Mika a semi automatic pistol?

Considering that neither of them are willing to actually use them 99% of the time? I'm really not sure.

For show, I guess.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.