PDA

View Full Version : A question for my Southern Bretheren

ducati
07-05-2013, 01:00 AM
And Sisteren.

For those of you North of the Mason-Dixon line, go have a pop down cella, ya chuckleheads.

You Confederates, listen up. Pop quiz. What do you do?

It's breakfast. Naturally, you're having a complete Southern breakfast with grits, eggs, bacon or sausage, and a waffle, pancakes, or even hash browns. Scattered, smothered, covered, and chunked of course. The hell you Yankees looking at? Take a hike!

Sorry about them. They're so nosy.

Anyway.

Our poll concerns the grits and eggs portion of the program. Now, there's only two ways to eat 'em. Mixed together, or separately.

How do you eat them? Mixed or not? Who taught you this? Where you stay at?

Gleena
07-05-2013, 01:05 AM
Mixed. Nobody taught me, I just did.

Course, not at all these days, as I am more Southern than everybody else, residing in Sydney. But in my yoof I did so mix my grits n eggs, with plenty of butter or bacon drippings.

Iggy
07-05-2013, 06:25 AM
Grits should be mixed with butter and perhaps shrimp. Leave the eggs out if it.

BigT
07-05-2013, 06:35 AM
I don't generally eat grits myself, but no one I know eats them with egg in them. Though, honestly, it doesn't sound like that bad an idea. But I would consider it more of an egg dish than a grits dish.

I don't know too many people who even eat eggs and grits at the same time. That would be like eating cereal and eggs.

Granted, I just barely qualify as a Southerner--I'm less than 20 minutes from the line, and I'm in Arkansas, of all places.

dogbutler
07-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Separately. I'm originally from Wisconsin, but have been in N.C. for 36 years. Technically that makes me a "damn Yankee".;)

BetsQ
07-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm not Southern (grew up in Missouri), but grits are best eaten with fried eggs with runny yolks, all mixed together.

My husband, who spent many childhood summers in South Carolina, believes that grits are eaten with shrimp.

monstro
07-05-2013, 08:43 AM
I might let my grits and sausage share forkspace. But otherwise, I eat them alone.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
07-05-2013, 09:09 AM
I answered 'separately,' since the question implies eggs that have already been prepared (probably scrambled). However. . .

When I make my morning grits at work, I toss in a fresh egg to mix along with it. As grits are pretty much tasteless, other than the starch, you have to add something to give them some taste. I add a freshly broken egg, as well as some other condiments.

Matt37
07-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Having been born and raised in the south, and a lover of grits, I always eat mine separate. I'm not gonna vote in the poll because of the slanted nature of the second option ("like some anal-retentive goofball"? Really?).

My wife, however, who was also raised in the south, combines hers together and eats them that way.

pravnik
07-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Separate.

Zeldar
07-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Separately, but with butter or gravy on the grits. I have been known to make a big mess with grits, scrambled eggs, patty sausage (or crumbled bacon -- bacon bits even) all chopped up, and all mixed together, but that's more of a special occasion thing. My wife makes a big deal of butter and sugar on her grits, but that's not my taste. (She also puts mayonnaise on most anything, corn-on-the-cob especially.)

Thanks for the topic! I'd been trying to think of a Southerners Only thread topic, and this one works fine!

How many different kinds of greens can you name that you have at least eaten, if not liked? Maybe not so much for breakfast!

aruvqan
07-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Separate. Actually I am from Connecticut, but I did live in the south for a number of years, I just don't eat grits because I don't like them. I would much rather have oatmeal. :p

Prof. Pepperwinkle
07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Madame Pepperwinkle's from southernmost Kentucky. She, her family, her grandmother, her grandmother' tenants (she has a rest home), and now me, all have grits and eggs separate, along with jowl bacon at every conceivable opportunity.

TheChileanBlob
07-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Grits with butter, salt and pepper are too delicious on their own to adulterate. (Cheese grits or grits n gravy are a separate thing.) I will, however, use the last few bites of grits to sop up the egg yolk residue.

+1 on scattered, smothered, covered, and chunked.

listedmia
07-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Seperate. I'm from Chicago and live in New Orleans now, but for some reason, my dad would feed us grits for breakfast up there sometimes. Anyways, now I associate them with childhood and being a picky eater who didn't like different foods touching. Sometimes I put some cheese, butter or salt and pepper in there.

Tara57
07-05-2013, 11:19 AM
I mix a few bites of grits and egg, but eat most of them separately.

Red Stilettos
07-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Separate. Other than my 97-year old grandfather who always mixes everything on his plate together, I've never seen anyone in my family mix their grits and eggs. And I'm as Southern as they come. Both sides go back at least 5 generations as poor farmers. One side in northern Alabama, the other in South Georgia.

Now I'm craving scattered, smothered and covered...

Ellen Cherry
07-05-2013, 11:28 AM
As with these grittier subjects, it's better handled in Cafe Society. :D From IMHO.

Rushgeekgirl
07-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Born and raised in Tennessee and I don't touch the stuff. I'll take my eggs fried in bacon grease,praise Jesus.

Sampiro
07-05-2013, 12:24 PM
My absolute ideal: mixed together and covered with red eye gravy, followed by a ham biscuit.

divemaster
07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I like 'em all sorts of ways. Plain, with butter and pepper; mixed with egg / sausage; or perhaps shrimp and cheese. A dash of Tabasco, maybe.

I once was having breakfast with a grad school colleague (northern transplant) and he started to put sugar and milk on his grits.

Me: STOP! For God's sake, what are you doing?
Him: ?? Fixing my breakfast??
Me: You can't treat grits like that! Grits is not cream of wheat!!

I see that from time to time. Even here in the South. It's shameful. :(

Maus Magill
07-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Messy eggs are the only way to eat them. It used to really upset my ex-wife.

The Most Wonderful Woman in the World, however, either doesn't care, or is just really good at hiding it.

Bryan Ekers
07-05-2013, 01:19 PM
I don't know too many people who even eat eggs and grits at the same time.

Possibly you could add some powdered sugar. Of course, I wouldn't know a snowy egg-grit if I were pissing on one.

madmonk28
07-05-2013, 01:40 PM
I like a fried egg with a runny yolk on top of the grits and a side of scrapple; born and raised in VA, live in DC.

silenus
07-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Eggs scrambled and separate. They might share fork space with the grits, but they aren't mixed together. Og made the foods separate, and separate they shall remain!

amarinth
07-05-2013, 02:01 PM
When it comes to mixing separate foods together, I'm an anal retentive goofball. Grits and eggs are no exception.

Accidental Martyr
07-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Separate. Other than my 97-year old grandfather who always mixes everything on his plate together, I've never seen anyone in my family mix their grits and eggs. And I'm as Southern as they come. Both sides go back at least 5 generations as poor farmers. One side in northern Alabama, the other in South Georgia.

Now I'm craving scattered, smothered and covered...

Same here. I've lived in Alabama my entire life and I don't think I've ever seen anyone mix grits and eggs. Cheese grits are the best. :)

MsWhatsit
07-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Scattered, smothered, covered, and chunked of course

The only way to fly, baby.

Drunky Smurf
07-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Seperate. I will mix bacon and sausage into the grits though.

AncientHumanoid
07-05-2013, 02:51 PM
I like mine in a bowl, heaped upon with butter and a little sugar.

Milk would be wrong.

From time to time, I'll let runny yolk into grits if they put them together on my plate, but I'm serving myself, bowl.

South Texas Swamp Baby

AncientHumanoid
07-05-2013, 02:58 PM
If the butter is unsalted, I'll also add salt. Only a little sugar, mind you. Corn has a good sweetness all by itself. Some REALLY good grits are already perfectly sweet, thus needing no added sugar.

control-z
07-05-2013, 04:00 PM
I've never tried grits, but I'm a born and raised southern, really!

MsWhatsit
07-05-2013, 04:07 PM
I've never tried grits, but I'm a born and raised southern, really!

Southern what? Canada?

Evil Captor
07-05-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm straight up butter, salt and pepper in my grits. Lots and lots of fresh ground black pepper, a moderate amount of salt, and enough butter to keep it rich tasting and not all glommy. A hit of chili pepper sauce is nice, too.

ducati
07-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Southern what? Canada?

Exactly! :D

And of course the questions were slanted. It's my poll!

I find the numbers interesting. I've been asking different Waffle House servers this question lately - who would know better than someone who sees a hundred breakfasts a day!

The majority opinion I get from them is that roughly 85% of diners served grits and eggs (any style) mix them together before consuming them.

I understand that the Waffle House chain is not universal, or even national (http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18pdubil1kys3png/k-bigpic.png) so I was assuming it would be a cultural thing. I wonder if IHOP diners are any different in the south...

On a different note, one of my great regrets in life is not discovering the wonder that is Cheese Grits more than about 4 years ago. The Copeland (http://www.copelandsofneworleans.com/locations.html)'s restaurant next to my office closed a while back, and is where I discovered this culinary treat. I now have to drive 30 minutes or more to the other locations for my fix.

If anyone has a similar or preferred recipe they would like to share, I'm open to suggestions. I've been meaning to add this to my repertoire, but I'm so damn lazy. I hate waiting 5 minutes for my grits, much less an hour in prep and oven time...

Lamia
07-05-2013, 05:10 PM
I'd don't think I've ever even seen or heard of grits being mixed with eggs prior to this thread.

The dining hall in my college (in Virginia) regularly served grits for breakfast and always had eggs, so I had plenty of opportunity to observe how people outside my immediate family handled this, but I can't think that I ever noticed anyone mixing the two foods together.

Maserschmidt
07-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Eggs scrambled and separate. They might share fork space with the grits, but they aren't mixed together. Og made the foods separate, and separate they shall remain!

Dear God, this is the only acceptable answer. What barn were the rest of you reared in?

TruCelt
07-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Separate. Grits should be salted peppered and then doused with either butter or cheese. Mixing up a good farm-fresh egg with anything that might mask it's flavor is a sacrilege.

Lasciel
07-05-2013, 05:32 PM
As grits are pretty much tasteless, other than the starch, you have to add something to give them some taste. I add a freshly broken egg, as well as some other condiments.

I never thought I'd be saying this on the Dope, but you, sir, need better grits. If you know of a safe location to post them to, I will be happy to send you a packet of my stepfather's handgrown, handground, yellow corn grits (from last year, this year's grits are still growing) to remedy the gaping void in your culinary experience.

I prepare and serve them apart, and then maybe take two or three bites with a bit of egg and grits together - it's a nice texture and taste, but I do prefer them apart.

And honestly, shrimp and grits are DINNER, not breakfast! Breakfast grits are either salted and buttered, or salted, buttered, and cheesed.

prettydorky
07-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Separate. Grits should be salted peppered and then doused with either butter or cheese. Mixing up a good farm-fresh egg with anything that might mask it's flavor is a sacrilege.

Pretty much this. In Pensacola here, which is basically Lower Alabama. Born in TX. My dad would sometimes mop up spare grits with the crust of his white bread, if he was out of egg, but he's a lifelong sopper and all on one plate kind of guy. I eat my grits in a bowl. Even ask for them that way specifically at the Awful Waffle. Can't stir grits good on the plate. ;)

Sampiro
07-05-2013, 07:15 PM
I grew up in Central Alabama, and I mix eggs and grits but others don't- personal choice. Cheese grits, however, are something I've usually seen served with fish and seafood more than with breakfast.

(Just got some really great stone ground from a small mill in the Georgia mountains- best grits I've had in a while.)

Lucas Jackson
07-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Hey! Where did this poll go?

Glazer
07-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Hey! Where did this poll go?

Top of the page.

I'll mix an over easy or over medium in with grits sometimes. But never scrambled of fried hard. But I usually get an omelet which makes the point moot.

iiandyiiii
07-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Mixed, like my dad taught me. I love runny fried eggs and grits more than most things in the world.

control-z
07-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Southern what? Canada?

No, Virginia! I'm just not a breakfast person. I'll have eggs or cereal for dinner occasionally but my friends and family don't eat grits. Sausage gravy is better. :D

ExTank
07-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Seperate. I will mix bacon and sausage into the grits though.

Eggs separate, but I've done this from time-to-time.

Clark Cello
07-05-2013, 09:38 PM
I have lived in the south for 10 years, which is not near long enough for me to be considered southern, but I am actually a little surprised at the results of the poll. I expected it to be pretty even, with the mixers probably winning out (full disclosure, I mix, but really only with a nice, runny-yoked egg, not so much with scrambled).

I wonder if there are regional variations to this. I swear most people mix around these parts (NC), but there are others saying they have never seen such a thing.

Or maybe I just run around with the wrong crowd.

Jungian Camisole
07-05-2013, 09:40 PM
As both a Southerner and a True Heathen from way back in the day, I did things my own way.

My grits were always eaten with butter and sugar. Breakfast dessert, if you will. An awesome treat after the bacon or sausage and eggs with toast and butter.* I am, however, quite intrigued by the idea of shrimp and grits. Especially if cheese is involved. If anyone has a good recipe, I'm all eyes. And stomach.

*My cholesterol levels are ridiculously normal. Lucky!

Strangeland64
07-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Eggs fried in leftover bacon grease and runny, mixed fully with cooked in butter grits.

This is how I've always seen it done ( southeast Mississippi) , however, we don't care how anyone else chooses to eat their grits, mixed or not. We just don't understand why grits aren't a staple across the U.S. ? lol)

Also in the summer when tomatoes are in season, lots of people like to make up tomato gravy or just cut up a fresh tomato and eat with grits instead of eggs, or even with eggs.... we do that separate.

Hope this helped.

P.S. I like northern foods too, having lived temporarily and for a very short time in Michigan/Wisconsin, they have their own foods that are delish also, so not knocking my northern friends :-)

seal_cleaner
07-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Pepperjack or extra sharp cheddar. Only lived in the south for 30 years, I'll give it another 30 and then decide.

Glazer
07-05-2013, 11:30 PM
As both a Southerner and a True Heathen from way back in the day, I did things my own way.

My grits were always eaten with butter and sugar. Breakfast dessert, if you will. An awesome treat after the bacon or sausage and eggs with toast and butter.* I am, however, quite intrigued by the idea of shrimp and grits. Especially if cheese is involved. If anyone has a good recipe, I'm all eyes. And stomach.

*My cholesterol levels are ridiculously normal. Lucky!

Add precooked cleaned and shelled small shrimp. Add slice of american cheese or grate on some cheddar. Add a pat of butter and salt and pepper to taste. If you want to get all fancy you can cook the grits in the shrimp stock. I like to add a little garlic and onion power to my shrimp n grits.

Mississippienne
07-05-2013, 11:45 PM
I will often mix them together, sometimes not. I also like to crumble up my bacon into my grits. Yummmmmm....

Chanteuse
07-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I live in Lower Alabama (about an hour's drive from prettydorky). I top over-medium fried eggs with a healthy dollop of grits, add butter and salt. Then I mash them up together and enjoy!

LurkMeister
07-06-2013, 03:12 PM
I like 'em all sorts of ways. Plain, with butter and pepper; mixed with egg / sausage; or perhaps shrimp and cheese. A dash of Tabasco, maybe.

I once was having breakfast with a grad school colleague (northern transplant) and he started to put sugar and milk on his grits.

Me: STOP! For God's sake, what are you doing?
Him: ?? Fixing my breakfast??
Me: You can't treat grits like that! Grits is not cream of wheat!!

I see that from time to time. Even here in the South. It's shameful. :(
Born and raised in Chicago, but occasionally traveled far enough south to become acquainted with grits and developed a taste for them. When I started visiting an online friend in NC I mentioned this, and she asked how I ate my grits. Before I could say anything she warned me that the future of our relationship depended on my answer. Fortunately, I knew the correct way to treat grits, which is why I am now a transplanted Yankee.

She does mix eggs with her grits on occasion, when she can get them both properly cooked (eggs over easy, and grits not too runny). I finally had shrimp and grits last year and I like them, but she doesn't because she doesn't care for shrimp.

Evin
07-06-2013, 04:04 PM
I like them separate; I don't think this necessarily indicates OCD.
However, I had a former colleague who not only would
never mix the dishes, but who also would not proceed from
one dish to the other until the first had been entirely
consumed.

This was not confined to his eggs and grits but to every meal he ever
consumed. If he had a meat and 2 sides, it was meat, side, side;
side, meat, side, and so on.

To watch him eat was deeply disturbing on some fundamental level,
especially with a 4 side vegetable plate, cooked southern style.
4 sides presented 24 distinct combinations of orders.

Zeldar
07-06-2013, 04:58 PM
<<clipped>>
To watch him eat was deeply disturbing on some fundamental level,
especially with a 4 side vegetable plate, cooked southern style.
4 sides presented 24 distinct combinations of orders.

I'm going to hazard a guess that this individual is not a fan of stir fries and kabobs. Or Asian cooking in general.

Growing up with individually cooked and served components to every meal made it hard for me to adjust to combo dishes with stuff all jumbled together. But it may have made it easier for me to treat my meals as a one-dish concept after trying the Asian way.

In any event, I'm much less picky about stuff touching now.

notfrommensa
07-06-2013, 11:22 PM
My over-easy eggs are are going to mixed with my scattered covered and smothered Hash browns, or toast.

My grits are enhanced with salt, pepper, butter, and brown sugar.

And if I am waffle house, my waffle is crispy with pecans.

AncientHumanoid
07-06-2013, 11:28 PM
My over-easy eggs are are going to mixed with my scattered covered and smothered Hash browns, or toast.

My grits are enhanced with salt, pepper, butter, and brown sugar.

And if I am waffle house, my waffle is crispy with pecans.

If these colors don't look right to you...

Eugene of Sandwich
07-07-2013, 04:46 AM
Hmmm.. I'm as southern as southern can be but I'm not really familiar with this. I wouldn't say it's taboo but I can't recall seeing the egg and the grit mixed together on purpose.

Johnny Bravo
07-07-2013, 08:17 AM
If I'm having my eggs scrambled, I like em on top of my biscuits and gravy. If I'm having them sunny side up, I want them separate so that the yolk doesn't get soaked into the grits or gravy or something. I want to sop that stuff up with toast. Never mixed with the grits, though.

Beelzebubba
07-08-2013, 07:27 PM
A lot of mornings, I just eat grits (no eggs). I'm a bad Southerner, I suppose, because I don't eat pork and I prefer 'instant' grits to 'cooked' grits (as my grandmother called them). The 'cooked' ones actually have to simmer for a while on the stove. But I can just toss a pack or two of the instant grits in a bowl, pour in a cup or so of water and microwave for 90 seconds- breakfast to go!

Is it weird that I love grits but I despise Hominy (which is the modified corn product that grits are made from)?

BigT
07-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Possibly you could add some powdered sugar. Of course, I wouldn't know a snowy egg-grit if I were pissing on one.

You joke, but, yeah, pretty much. Everyone I know who still eats grits treats it like oatmeal or other hot cereals. Maybe that's the real reason why Arkansans aren't considered part of the True South?

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.