PDA

View Full Version : Was patronizing Black prostitutes unseemly in Jim Crow South?

Slithy Tove
08-29-2013, 06:03 PM
I'd like to leave New Orleans out of this, since it was not quite the same as the rest of the Old South. But what about the genteel, respectable cities like Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, etc.

It seems discrete prostitution was accepted everywhere, as it was understood the men had needs not to be met by nice ladies. But, in a time and place when using the same telephone or spoon as a Back person, was there a stigma against inserting ones penis into one?

Lemur866
08-29-2013, 06:10 PM
This famous quote from Mary Chestnut's diary is pretty likely to come up, so I'll post it first.

http://occawlonline.pearsoned.com/bookbind/pubbooks/divine5e/medialib/timeline/docs/sources/theme_primarysources_Slavery_18.html

This is only what I see: like the patriarchs of old, our men live all in one house with their wives & their concubines, & the Mulattos one sees in every family exactly resemble the white children-& every lady tells you who is the father of all the Mulatto children in everybody's household, but those in her own, she seems to think drop from the clouds or pretends so to think-.

Exapno Mapcase
08-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Short answer, no. Black women existed to be used.

Shakester
08-30-2013, 04:46 AM
You don't have to respect someone to have sex with them.

Being sexually attracted to someone of a different race does not mean that you're not racist.

handsomeharry
08-31-2013, 03:53 AM
I'm wondering if visiting a prostitute of any color was ever regarded as unseemly in the Jim Crow South.

Neidhart
08-31-2013, 04:50 AM
Since Jim Crow lasted until the 1960s, I'm sure it got that way at some point.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.