PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Oscars - the nominees are...

Skammer
01-16-2014, 08:56 AM
I don't *think* we have a thread for the Oscars now that the nominations are out. If there is one, I apologize.

I sat in my car in the parking lot at work to listen to the live announcement of the nominees. The list is here (http://www.oscar.com).

- Yay for Sally Hawkins! I thought a nomination was too much to hope for but I was wrong. (A nomination for Andrew Dice Clay was too much to hope for).

- Surprising snubs: Emma Thompson and Robert Redford. I'm more disappointed for Redford. But Best Actor was a really tough category this year.

- Surprising inclusions: Jonah Hill and Meryl Streep. I know you never bet against Meryl, but I was really expecting Thompson to take this slot.

Speaking of Thompson:

Saving Mr. Banks got exactly the same number of nominations as Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa. Guess the Academy wasn't impressed by the Mouse's whitewashing of history. And usually they love movies about movies; but not this time.

Rollo Tomasi
01-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Sally Hawkins was the most exciting nomination for me. It almost makes up for her not getting nominated for Happy-Go-Lucky. Boo for no Robert Redford, though.

I generally don't root against people or films, but I can't say that I'm upset about Saving Mr. Banks almost being shut out. I am hugely disappointed in the lack of Inside Llewyn Davis recognition.

Alessan
01-16-2014, 09:32 AM
"Two-time Oscar nominee Jonah Hill."

What a strange world we live in.

Skammer
01-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Alone in my car, I cheered when they named Sally Hawkins. I had an outside hope for a BP nod for Blue Jasmine but it was not to be.

Holy crap, I've only seen 4 of the 9 BP nominees. I squandered my time on Saving Mr. Banks and Blue Jasmine! and Anchorman 2

Hopefully the Oscar recognition will keep the ones I've missed in the theaters a few more weeks.

Dewey Finn
01-16-2014, 11:34 AM
I've only seen one of them (Gravity). What seems slightly weird to me is that they're all from the last three or four months and I think they're all still in the theaters. Some years, some of the nominated titles have already been released on DVD by the time the nominations are announced.

MovieMogul
01-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Redford was the bitter pill this morning. Aside from Nebraska, his film was my favorite of the year--a beautiful film, and he has never been better in an interesting (and vastly underrated) career. And by all appearances, still underrated, though he is also a notorious non-shmoozer and did very little to campaign. Bale and DiCaprio took the spots that Hanks & Redford were expected to take, and it's a tribute to what a tough category it was, because Hanks was very good (especially that last scene), but DiCaprio had also rarely been better. I would've been happy to see Bale get bumped.

Adams also took Thompson's spot, and as good as the latter was, I don't feel bad because of how much I hated Saving Mr. Banks. Adams is also the only one in that category without an Oscar, but she would get my vote because hers is the best in an otherwise vastly overrated film.

The biggest (welcome) surprise in Supporting Actress was Hawkins, who got the coattail-bump, as did Jonah Hill. Sorry Oprah! Chris Helmsworth must've been put out because you know they asked him to be up there because Daniel Bruhl was expected to score a nod, too. He didn't.

For Director, the biggest surprise was Alexander Payne, though I loved the film so can't begrudge him, though seeing Spike Jonze in there would've been beautiful. Two directors of color in the mix, and neither named Ang Lee (the only non-white winner ever).

Final Tallies

10 - American Hustle, Gravity
9 - 12 Years a Slave
6 - Captain Phillips, Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska
5 - Her, The Wolf of Wall Street
4- Philomena
3 - Blue Jasmine, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
2 - August: Osage County, Despicable Me 2, Frozen, The Grandmaster, The Great Gatsby, Inside Llewyn Davis, The Lone Ranger, Lone Survivor

MovieMogul
01-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Other odds & ends

3 actors--Steve Coogan, Julie Delpy & Ethan Hawke--walk away with writing nods.

Renaissance Men Alfonso Cuaron & Spike Jonze get nominated in atypical categories (Editing & Song, respectively)

Benedict Cumberbatch (August: Osage, Hobbit/Smaug, Star Trek Into Darkness) & Paul Giamatti (12 Years, Mr. Banks, Ernest & Celestine) each have 3 films nominated. With 15 total, the films of Amy Adams (Hustle, Her) have the most nominations.

Woody Allen earns his 16th writing nomination. Meryl Streep gets her 18th acting nomination. John Williams gets his 49th music nomination (The Book Thief). Each is an all-time leader in their respective category.

Competing against Jackass Presents Bad Grandpa and The Lone Ranger, the inevitable Best Makeup award for Dallas Buyers Club is the one true bet-the-farm category.

jsc1953
01-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Feeding my masochistic tendencies, I immediately went to the online comments on the story version I read. There were only 5 (at that point) but 2 were decrying "propaganda" and "libtards" (no specifics).

SMH...everything is politicized these days. But I'm at a loss to guess what they were whining about; unless you consider mothers looking for adopted sons some sort of liberal conspiracy, or that Wall St might be filled with hookers & blow is anti-capitalist.

Gangster Octopus
01-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Again a popular, important documentary is snubbed. Last year it was Chasing Ice and this year it is Blackfish.

Skammer
01-16-2014, 01:15 PM
The documentary nominations always seem to deliberately exclude films with popular buzz, like Blackfish.

Spike Jonze should have received the directing nod over Scorcese. Marty is a legend; but WoWS is not his best work and needed to be trimmed. I mean, it's clever that a movie about unbridled excess had a way-too-long running time, but still.

My other disappointments:
- would've been nice to see Gandolfini nominated as some had speculated.
- I'm still shaking my head at the (apparent) Mr. Banks backlash. It was a flawed movie and not in my personal top 5 but it really seemed Oscar-primed.
- American Hustle got its share of nominations, but I can't figure out why it was excluded from Makeup. Look at all that hair!

Rollo Tomasi
01-16-2014, 01:33 PM
I wasn't crazy about Blackfish, so I wasn't bothered to see that left out (although I was surprised). I was way more annoyed to see Stories We Tell get left out. That was my favorite doc of the year.

That Don Guy
01-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Saving Mr. Banks got exactly the same number of nominations as Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa.
...which is more than The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Man of Steel, and Lee Daniels' The Butler combined received.

None of the five animated feature nominees are from Pixar. (Frozen is "in-house" Disney. Something I didn't realize until I just looked it up: so is Planes. The only Pixar feature-length film in 2013 was Monsters University.)

One thing I noticed in the announcement (and in the official list): Bono and The Edge (nominated as co-songwriters of "Ordinary Love" from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom) are listed by their real names (just as Adele was last year), but Karen O (nominated for co-writing "The Moon Song" from Her) is allowed to be called by her stage name.

Skammer
01-16-2014, 02:32 PM
...which is more than The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Man of Steel, and Lee Daniels' The Butler combined received. Good point. People had pretty high expectations of The Butler when it came out in August. I think some folks back then would have been surprised to learn it would not get a single nomination in any category.

jsc1953
01-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Good point. People had pretty high expectations of The Butler when it came out in August. I think some folks back then would have been surprised to learn it would not get a single nomination in any category.

EW includes Oprah in The Butler amongst their list of "Oscar snubs". I haven't seen the movie; was there any buzz at all about her performance (beyond the fact that she was acting at all?)

Rollo Tomasi
01-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Yes, she got a Screen Actors Guild nomination. Plus, when the movie was released, there were plenty of people out there saying that she was a straight-up lock for a nomination or even the win. Which seemed crazy to me; she's fine in the movie, but not even remotely one of the best of the year.

MovieMogul
01-16-2014, 02:51 PM
One thing I noticed in the announcement (and in the official list): Bono and The Edge (nominated as co-songwriters of "Ordinary Love" from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom) are listed by their real names (just as Adele was last year), but Karen O (nominated for co-writing "The Moon Song" from Her) is allowed to be called by her stage name.I think that's based completely on how they chose to be credited onscreen in the film itself.

LawMonkey
01-16-2014, 03:46 PM
I always try to see the Oscar-nominated animated shorts each year. Seems like a good crop (http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/motion-graphics/animation-vfx-oscars-2014-nominations-announced/).

Spoke
01-16-2014, 04:23 PM
I am most astonished that Muscle Shoals (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2492916/?ref_=nv_sr_1) didn't even get nominated for best documentary.

Paste Magazine had it pegged as the best documentary of the year (http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/01/freddy-camalier-documentarian-of-the-year.html), and I agree with that assessment. Even if you don't, I can't imagine anyone who has watched this movie not at least wanting to give it a nomination.

lawoot
01-16-2014, 05:05 PM
It was nice seeing Bob Nelson (from the iconic Seattle TV series Almost Live! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_Live!)) get a nod for best original screenplay for Nebraska.

Here he is as one of his best characters: Uncle Fran (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHqHMgK0tQw)

Rollo Tomasi
01-16-2014, 05:13 PM
I really thought this was going to be the year that I managed to see all five foreign-language films before the ceremony, but Wadjda, The Past, and Gloria getting left out basically puts the kibosh on that. I've seen The Broken Circle Breakdown (Belgium), The Hunt (Denmark), and The Great Beauty (Italy), and while I don't really love any of them, the Italy's entry is probably my favorite. I'll have to catch Omar and The Missing Picture when they're released sometime this year.

artemis
01-16-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm shocked that Robert Redford and All Is Lost received so little love from the Academy, but very pleased to see Nebraska being recognized. And A Hijacking deserved some recognition as well.

Really, though, what this list made me realize is that 2013 was a wonderful year for films.

Chronos
01-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Granted that the win is going to go to either the Hobbit or Gravity (probably Hobbit; Smaug was very impressive), but I was surprised that Pacific Rim didn't even get nominated for visual effects.

Spoke
01-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Two movies which should have received some Oscar love:

Mud (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935179/?ref_=nv_sr_1)
The Way Way Back (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727388/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

And I don't think Captain Phillips is worthy of a nomination. The rest are worth the attention. (At least the ones I've seen. Haven't seen Gravity and Her yet.)

Justin_Bailey
01-16-2014, 05:44 PM
One thing I noticed in the announcement (and in the official list): Bono and The Edge (nominated as co-songwriters of "Ordinary Love" from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom) are listed by their real names (just as Adele was last year), but Karen O (nominated for co-writing "The Moon Song" from Her) is allowed to be called by her stage name.

Which is funny as, if I remember right, David Evans legally changed his name to "The Edge" a few years ago.

Maserschmidt
01-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Inside Llewyn Davisreally sunk to the bottom like a stone after getting a fair amount of love from the satellite noms and awards.

Skammer
01-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Haven't seen Gravity and Her yet. Gravity was a superbly immersive experience. I saw it in IMAX 3D and it was jaw-dropping. Almost nonstop tension. I was a little put out by the way it played fast and loose with basic orbital mechanics but it was a worthy achievement for the nomination.

I loved Her, and I really wish Jonze had received a best director nod. I also thought Joaquin Pheonix and Scarlett Johansen were fabulous. It was a quiet, understated movie that dealt with some really big themes and difficult questions while being, essentially, a touching love story. I'm glad it seems to be peaking now; I'm afraid it would have been lost if it had been released earlier in the year.

FWIW, if any cares, my top 3 favorite movies this year (I can't decide what order) were Her, Blue Jasmine and American Hustle. But there were plenty of good movies I didn't see.

Siam Sam
01-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Popping in to mention this is the first Oscar nomination for Cambodia (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cambodia-celebrates-first-oscar-nomination-671787). I've not seen the film myself though, The Missing Picture.

AK84
01-18-2014, 10:44 PM
So winners?

BP: American Hustle
BD: Cuaron
BA: Matthew Maconnaughey
BA: Amy Adams
BSA: Michael Fassbender
BSAt: Jennifer Lawrence

Equipoise
01-19-2014, 04:00 AM
I like your predictions, but I'd guess

BP: 12 Years A Slave
BD: Alfonso Cauron
BA: Matthew McConaughey
BA: Cate Blanchett
BSA: Jared Leto
BSA: Lupita Nyong'o

Not everyone/thing is what I want, it's just what I think will win.

My votes would go to (nominations too)

BP: Her
BD: Spike Jonze (Alfonso Cauron)
BA: Joaquin Phoenix or Robert Redford (Leonardo DiCaprio)
BA: Brie Larson or Greta Gerwig (Judi Dench)
BSA: James Franco (Jared Leto)
BSA: Lupita Nyong'o

But really, I don't care. Well, it's not that I don't care, not in a negative way, I always care about the Oscars. It's just that since my favorite movies and actor choices either didn't get nominated or don't stand a chance, I'm not emotionally invested. I liked just about everything/body that was nominated, so I'll be happy for every winner.

Roundabout
01-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Matthew McConaughey's sweeping up all the lead actor awards this year.

Procrustus
01-20-2014, 10:36 AM
EW includes Oprah in The Butler amongst their list of "Oscar snubs". I haven't seen the movie; was there any buzz at all about her performance (beyond the fact that she was acting at all?)

Oprah was really good in a movie that was otherwise "okay," but pretty disappointing.

Dendarii Dame
01-20-2014, 02:30 PM
What surprised me was that Catching Fire didn't receive a nomination for Best Costumes. That monarch butterfly dress and hat alone should have clinched the win. Besides, costumes are really important to this film, more than in most cases.

JohnT
01-20-2014, 02:50 PM
BP: American Hustle
BD: Cuaron
BA: Matthew Maconnaughey
BA: Cate Blanchett
BSA: Jared Leto
BSAt: Jennifer Lawrence

Shodan
01-20-2014, 05:18 PM
And as seems to happen each year with monotonous regularity, I have seen none of the movies for Best Picture, Best Actor/Actress, Director, Screenplay, or Supporting Actor/Actress. The only movie nominated that I have seen is Despicable Me 2 (which was quite good). And several of the others I have not even heard of.

I need to get out more.

Regards,
Shodan

Chronos
01-20-2014, 05:32 PM
What surprised me was that Catching Fire didn't receive a nomination for Best Costumes. That monarch butterfly dress and hat alone should have clinched the win. Besides, costumes are really important to this film, more than in most cases.
I haven't seen it, but somebody in the trailers was wearing a flaming dress that looked really great. Though I'm not sure how much that falls under "costumes" versus "effects".

astorian
01-21-2014, 09:28 AM
And as seems to happen each year with monotonous regularity, I have seen none of the movies for Best Picture, Best Actor/Actress, Director, Screenplay, or Supporting Actor/Actress. The only movie nominated that I have seen is Despicable Me 2 (which was quite good). And several of the others I have not even heard of.

I need to get out more.

Regards,
Shodan

I'm with you, almost. I DID see American Hustle, which was very well acted but at least 20 minutes too long.

MovieMogul
01-21-2014, 01:37 PM
I haven't seen it, but somebody in the trailers was wearing a flaming dress that looked really great. Though I'm not sure how much that falls under "costumes" versus "effects".Exactly. Guilds and Branches can be very picky about achievements that have significant augmentation through visual effects. Makeup is another category where this can be seen.

Of course, these days, "Cinematography" and "Visual Effects" are synonymous--the last 4 films (Avatar, Hugo, Inception, Life of Pi) to win one also won the other, an unprecedented achievement (and Gravity is very likely to follow suit). 4 of those 5 listed were also in 3D, so it appears the general voters are conflating the two more & more, which makes the reticence of the other branches understandable.

Chronos
01-21-2014, 07:30 PM
I don't know; if it were up to me, I'd give cinematography to Gravity, and effects to The Hobbit.

Siam Sam
01-21-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm with you, almost. I DID see American Hustle, which was very well acted but at least 20 minutes too long.

If Silver Linings Playbook didn't win Best Picture, then I find it difficult to believe that American Hustle, a good film but inferior to SLP, will.

bienville
01-22-2014, 01:53 AM
Nebraska pretty much had two male leads: Bruce Dern and Will Forte. Their roles were weighted pretty evenly. So, they just as legitimately could have submitted Bruce Dern in the Supporting Actor category- and I think they were fools not to do so.

If Bruce Dern had been submitted in the Supporting Actor category it would have been an almost guaranteed win. Jared Leto would have been his only real competition.

bienville
01-22-2014, 02:01 AM
Oh, and much as I loved Before Midnight I hate that they allow a film to be submitted for the Adapted Screenplay category simply because it is a sequel. Before Midnight was not an adapted screenplay, it was an original screenplay.

MovieMogul
01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Nebraska pretty much had two male leads: Bruce Dern and Will Forte. Their roles were weighted pretty evenly. So, they just as legitimately could have submitted Bruce Dern in the Supporting Actor category- and I think they were fools not to do so.I absolutely disagree. He's clearly the lead. Demoting him to "supporting" would be nothing but a transparent effort at improving his Oscar chances. It's bullshit, and I give a lot of credit to Dern who clearly stuck to his guns on the matter (since there was early buzz questioning which direction the campaign would go, and the safe money would've been to take the route you suggest).

Julia Roberts is a co-lead in August: Osage County, which makes her nomination absurd. When the Tony's had their nominations, both the Streep and Roberts characters were recognized as leads, and the Margo Martindale character was up for supporting (and won).

Run time shouldn't always be a deciding factor; the weight of the narrative should play some part of it. But the studios are paralyzed by the thought of having co-leads, out of concern of vote-splitting, despite the fact that statistically, your chances aren't any worse (ask Timothy Hutton, F. Murray Abraham, Shirley MacLaine, Jack Nicholson, and Jessica Lange, all "vote-split" winners from the 80s)

MovieMogul
01-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Oh, and much as I loved Before Midnight I hate that they allow a film to be submitted for the Adapted Screenplay category simply because it is a sequel. Before Midnight was not an adapted screenplay, it was an original screenplay.It has nothing to do with "allow"--the writer's branch specifically stipulates that works using characters from previously published material are automatically considered adaptations. Now, I'm not going to argue that the Academy is exactly consistent on the matter (the screenplay for The Barbarian Invasions was nominated as Original), but it's not really the filmmakers' call. It's the Academy's.

MovieMogul
01-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Oh, and they announced the nominees for Best Picture for The Wolf of Wall Street (they were TBD at the original announcement), and it includes both Marty & Leo, so the latter is up for another Oscar this year besides acting.

Maserschmidt
01-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Oh, and they announced the nominees for Best Picture for The Wolf of Wall Street (they were TBD at the original announcement), and it includes both Marty & Leo, so the latter is up for another Oscar this year besides acting.

I found that whole thing very confusing, specifically that they split away from the Peoducers' Guild and dropped the other guy, Aziz. It smells like politics but I really don't know anything about it.

MovieMogul
01-22-2014, 07:59 PM
I found that whole thing very confusing, specifically that they split away from the Peoducers' Guild and dropped the other guy, Aziz. It smells like politics but I really don't know anything about it.After the everyone-and-the-kitchen-sink collection of producers on stage for Shakespeare in Love, the Academy has been much more stringent about arbitrating who was performing in an actual producing capacity vs. someone who is getting honorary credit (perhaps because they first bought the property or got the ball rolling in its infancy). Internally, I'm sure it can get quite ugly with so much on the line, but each film is different. Note that Brad Pitt didn't get cited for Slave, but he's been getting plenty of awards speech shout outs because of how instrumental he was in making the film a reality.

Maserschmidt
01-22-2014, 08:10 PM
After the everyone-and-the-kitchen-sink collection of producers on stage for Shakespeare in Love, the Academy has been much more stringent about arbitrating who was performing in an actual producing capacity vs. someone who is getting honorary credit (perhaps because they first bought the property or got the ball rolling in its infancy). Internally, I'm sure it can get quite ugly with so much on the line, but each film is different. Note that Brad Pitt didn't get cited for Slave, but he's been getting plenty of awards speech shout outs because of how instrumental he was in making the film a reality.

I didn't realize the Academy hadn't listed him; there's another where the PGA did.

Rollo Tomasi
01-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Note that Brad Pitt didn't get cited for Slave

Yes he did, along with Steve McQueen and three other producers.

bienville
01-23-2014, 02:30 AM
I absolutely disagree. He's clearly the lead. Demoting him to "supporting" would be nothing but a transparent effort at improving his Oscar chances. It's bullshit, and I give a lot of credit to Dern who clearly stuck to his guns on the matter (since there was early buzz questioning which direction the campaign would go, and the safe money would've been to take the route you suggest).
I hadn't heard about Dern specifically wanting the lead nomination instead of the supporting nomination, so I can get behind that. If he so adamantly wants to go for a win in the lead category then I say he has more than earned that prerogative given his distinguished career.

I disagree that he was clearly the lead. I definitely see it as a co-leads kind of a story with a slight leaning towards the son. The son has the real dramatic arc. His "stuck in a rut" life is disrupted by his father's obsession. For him it's a journey of self discovery and a re-evaluation of what's truly important in life. He's the one who most significantly grows as a character by the end of the story. His character is the reason there is a story- the father was in no position to advance his own adventure.

But I only slightly tilt it in the son's favor as the lead character. Really I see it as co-leads. So, I'm fine with Bruce Dern being nominated in the Lead Actor category- especially hearing that that is what he wanted. Still, it would have been perfectly legitimate to submit him for the Supporting Actor category- improving his chances would just have been a benefit.

Skammer
01-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Now that it's available on video, I saw Captain Phillips last night. I thought it was excellent and I completely buy Barkhad Abdi's nomination. I was surprised to see Catherine Keener in such a small role; really just a cameo appearance.

Phillips wouldn't be my top movie for the year, but I liked it as well as Slave or Gravity.

MovieMogul
01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
Yes he did, along with Steve McQueen and three other producers.You're right, which means that the nominee list may have been revised, because I didn't remember hearing his name when they did the original announcement last week. 5 names is a sketchy amount for AMPAS (they usually go for 3 max), so any additional ones usually involves some type of request for review or appeal by the film itself.

JohnT
01-30-2014, 12:17 PM
One of the song nominees was removed from the ballot (http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/why-the-academy-took-back-the-nomination-for-that-best-song-nominee-no-one-had-heard-of/), with no replacement.

Skammer
01-30-2014, 02:02 PM
I heard about that this morning. Very interesting. I think there was even a short sidebar in EW magazine last week about what a surprise that nomination was, and chalked it up to the fact that the creator was an industry big-wig who sent our personal recommendations of it. Obviously the details didn't stick in my memory. Kind of sucks for whoever's song got the sixth-most votes for nomination.

JohnT
01-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Bizarre how you can lose a nomination for sending some emails, but not for essentially bribing the voters with gifts (right, Harvey Weinstein?)

astorian
01-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Nebraska pretty much had two male leads: Bruce Dern and Will Forte. Their roles were weighted pretty evenly. So, they just as legitimately could have submitted Bruce Dern in the Supporting Actor category- and I think they were fools not to do so.

If Bruce Dern had been submitted in the Supporting Actor category it would have been an almost guaranteed win. Jared Leto would have been his only real competition.

And if you look at the winners in the SUpporting Actor category (James Coburn, Alan Arkin, Don Ameche, Morgan Freeman, Sean Connery, Jack Palance, George Burns, Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau...) you see that it's an Oscar Hollywood LOVES to give to older, veteran actors as a kind of lifetime achievement award.

I think Dern was the star of the movie, and was RIGHT to demand a nomination in that categopry. But he was almost a lock to win as SUpporting Actor. As Best ACtor, he definitely has a chance, but he's no sure thing.

Chronos
01-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Even aside from that, I'd consider Best Supporting to be more prestigious, anyway. It's a lot easier to shine when the spotlight is on you-- Doing a good job when you're not the star, though, is harder, and thus more worthy of note when you do it.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.