PDA

View Full Version : The Professor has died [Russell Johnson of "Gilligan's Island"]

Dallas Jones
01-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Russell Johnson also known as the "Professor" from Gilligan's Island, has passed on to the great island in the sky.

Let us hope that there is bamboo there.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/gilligans-island-star-russell-johnson-dies-kidney-failure/story?id=21561740

Leaffan
01-16-2014, 03:10 PM
And coconuts.

Adios Roy Hinkley. Another childhood idol gone.

bup
01-16-2014, 03:15 PM
No!

That's very sad. I hate Gilligan's Island, actually, but he was watchable. And, if memory serves, a pretty good guy during the Red Scare.

Little Nemo
01-16-2014, 03:17 PM
In addition to being an actor, Johnson was a bomber pilot who served in World War II. And he had two marriages which both lasted over thirty years.

TriPolar
01-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Another one has moved on to the big island in the sky. RIP Russell, I can't imagine anyone playing the Professor as well as you did.

RealityChuck
01-16-2014, 03:28 PM
He was also very good in the SF classic It Came from Outer Space.

terentii
01-16-2014, 03:39 PM
I mentioned him in a post just yesterday. Damn! :(

When I was a kid, I often dreamed my parents were Dawn Wells and Russell Johnson (or sometimes Richard Dawson).* The Professor was by far my favorite character on GI; in many ways, he was kind of a forerunner of Mr Spock.

RIP.

*And I would still happily do Dawn Wells today. She never fails to turn me on!

Tim R. Mortiss
01-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Should have published more......

Amateur Barbarian
01-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Aw, damn, just saw this on the news headlines. His was the best cast book about the series, IMHO.

Sail on, Professor.

Fear Itself
01-16-2014, 04:12 PM
You know it was somehow Gilligan's fault.

Bryan Ekers
01-16-2014, 04:12 PM
And the rest in peace, Professor.

Amateur Barbarian
01-16-2014, 04:15 PM
I see what you did there, but it has a certain lyric beauty to it.

Slithy Tove
01-16-2014, 04:15 PM
The only white guy who could pull off the white jeans with white oxford look and not stick out like a sore achromatic thumb.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
01-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Russell Johnson, who played "The Professor" on Gilligan's Island is dead.
Natural causes were cited.
He was 89.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/24474990/russell-johnson-gilligan-professor-has-died

astorian
01-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Forget Gilligan's Island- Russell Johnson sacrificed himself to electrocute the giant crabs in Attack of the Crab Monsters.

He was a freaking HERO, guys!

Don Draper
01-16-2014, 04:46 PM
The Professor and Rueben Kincaid (http://www.tmz.com/2014/01/16/dave-madden-dead-partridge-family-reuben-kincaid/) both in the same day. I hope somebody is keeping a watchful eye on Ann B. Davis.

Amateur Barbarian
01-16-2014, 04:51 PM
The Professor and Rueben Kincaid (http://www.tmz.com/2014/01/16/dave-madden-dead-partridge-family-reuben-kincaid/) both in the same day. I hope somebody is keeping a watchful eye on Ann B. Davis.
You mean the guy in the long black hooded robe over there?

silenus
01-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Duplicate thread

Bumbershoot
01-16-2014, 05:19 PM
I just discovered an interesting bit of trivia: according to IMDb, Johnson was in 98 of 99 episodes of Gilligan's Island (as were Dawn Wells and Tina Louise). Does anyone know which episode(s) did not feature the full cast?

Edit: Never mind, I found the answer- the pilot episode had different actors playing the Professor and Ginger, and character named Bunny, who was later renamed Mary Ann.

Gagundathar
01-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Russell Johnson shares a name with one of my kin, and we used to ask him how pretty Mary Ann and Ginger were when he was on the island.

Farewell, Professor of whatever-you-needed-to-be-this-episode.

But remember y'all, this is a man of Science who can make a battery out of a coconut, salt water and something he stole from Ginger's makeup kit when she wasn't watching, but yet, he can't repair the Minnow.

terentii
01-16-2014, 05:55 PM
This is a man of Science who can make a battery out of a coconut, salt water and something he stole from Ginger's makeup kit when she wasn't watching, but yet, he can't repair the Minnow.

Remember, they did repair the Minnow in one episode? Problem was, the glue turned out to be no good and the boat fell apart!

You'd've thought, though, that he could have come up with something a lot better than that.... :(

Little Nemo
01-16-2014, 06:10 PM

I see what you did there, but it has a certain lyric beauty to it.Another side story. As noted, Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells were relegated to "and the rest" status in the original theme song. It was Bob Denver who fixed this. As the show's lead, he pressured the studio into filming a new title sequence where the Professor and Mary Ann were named like everyone else.

The impressive part is Denver never told Johnson or Wells he had done this. They just assumed the studio had decided to change the title on its own. It was decades later that they learned from somebody else that Denver had been the one looking out for them.

CalMeacham
01-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Russell Johnson appeared as a Professor (!) in This Island Earth with Rex Reason, who played -----Cal Meacham. A name that sticks in my head, for some reason. If you go to his website, you'll find that Rex Reason (who still looks and sounds better than I ever did) is selling autographed pictures of the two of them from This Island Earth.

Johnson seems to have been cursed to play scientists and technicians.
Besides his long-running role as The Professor, Roy Hinckle, in Gilligan's Island and its various spinoffs and sequels, and in This Island Earth, he also played a scientist twice on the original Twilight Zone, a technician in The Attack of the Crab Monsters (where he kills the title monster, at the cost of his own life) and in The Space Children.

He was also in It Came From Outer Space, as Reality Chuck observes, although there, for once, he wasn't a scientist.

Chronos
01-16-2014, 06:25 PM
If I was stuck on a desert island with Dawn Wells, fixing the boat wouldn't have been my priority, either.

GrandWino
01-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Russell Johnson appeared as a Professor (!) in This Island Earth with Rex Reason, who played -----Cal Meacham. A name that sticks in my head, for some reason. If you go to his website, you'll find that Rex Reason (who still looks and sounds better than I ever did) is selling autographed pictures of the two of them from This Island Earth.

Johnson seems to have been cursed to play scientists and technicians.
Besides his long-running role as The Professor, Roy Hinckle, in Gilligan's Island and its various spinoffs and sequels, and in This Island Earth, he also played a scientist twice on the original Twilight Zone, a technician in The Attack of the Crab Monsters (where he kills the title monster, at the cost of his own life) and in The Space Children.

He was also in It Came From Outer Space, as Reality Chuck observes, although there, for once, he wasn't a scientist.

And This Island Earth was the film Mike and the bots were subjected to in MST3K:Tye Movie.

terentii
01-16-2014, 07:17 PM
It was Bob Denver who fixed this. As the show's lead, he pressured the studio into filming a new title sequence where the Professor and Mary Ann were named like everyone else.

Nitpick: They had to film new titles anyway, because they were moving from B&W to color that year. What Bob did do was ensure that the Professor and Mary Ann were mentioned by name, automatically raising the salaries of both Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells.

He did so by threatening to invoke an article in his contract saying that as star of the show, he could have his title in any position he wanted; if Russell and Dawn were going to be left out again, he told the studio to put his name last. As mentioned above, he never told anyone who wasn't at that meeting about what he did.

And that, my friends, is pure class! :cool:

Leaffan
01-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Hmm. I didn't realize he was born in the city I grew up in: Sarnia, Ontario (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarnia,_Ontario). (Dave " Rueben Kincaid" Madden that is.)

James Doohan was also from Sarnia.

E-DUB
01-16-2014, 07:29 PM
He also guested on an episode of "The Invaders", portraying the lawyer of a man on trial for murdering one of the aliens. The twist: He was an alien himself.

terentii
01-16-2014, 07:37 PM
He also guested on an episode of "The Invaders", portraying the lawyer of a man on trial for murdering one of the aliens. The twist: He was an alien himself.

Russell or Dave? :dubious:

Amateur Barbarian
01-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Dave Madden was one of those actors who could move his whole hairline - every time Danny did something stupid and he frowned or gaped, his forehead would grow or shrink an inch.

Sampiro
01-16-2014, 08:17 PM
I wonder if ultimately Gilligan's Island a good thing or bad thing in his life.

Bad: It hopelessly typecast him, and while he had some talent you couldn't look at him without thinking "it's the Professor", and while I doubt he died indigent it certainly didn't make him rich because shows didn't pay much then and no residuals. Had to get irritating being recognized for something you did decades ago that hamstringed you without paying.

Good: It did enable him to get recognized, and even low level fame has its perks. And acting is not a logical profession; there are numerous actors just as talented or more who were never able to make a living at it.

So I'll go with 'Chaotic Neutral'.

Danny Bonaduce said that Dave Madden was his surrogate father. His own family was very dysfunctional and he started spending every moment he could with Madden's family; they remained close throughout his life.

Bonaduce and Cassidy both said that Madden was a charming hypochondriac who when asked how he was doing would always answer "I'd have to get better to die."

Leaffan
01-16-2014, 08:28 PM

Bad: It hopelessly typecast him, and while he had some talent you couldn't look at him without thinking "it's the Professor", and while I doubt he died indigent it certainly didn't make him rich because shows didn't pay much then and no residuals. Had to get irritating being recognized for something you did decades ago that hamstringed you without paying.....
I thought actors whose shows went into syndication were set for life. I believe that's the case now. What changed, and when, and for what reason?

I'm totally ignorant on this topic, but again, I thought syndicated shows meant lots of money for the actors involved.

terentii
01-16-2014, 08:43 PM
I thought actors whose shows went into syndication were set for life. I believe that's the case now. What changed, and when, and for what reason?

I'm totally ignorant on this topic, but again, I thought syndicated shows meant lots of money for the actors involved.

I think it's always depended pretty much on the contract you sign. Shatner, e.g., had a percentage of ST: TOS right from the beginning. Nimoy did not, and he wouldn't until he renegotiated his contract at the beginning of the second season; by then, of course, he had the clout to demand a piece of the action. Junior members of an ensemble cast would have a much more difficult time getting such recognition.

wedgehed
01-16-2014, 08:43 PM
I recall seeing an interview with Russell Johnson where he said that his favorite Gilligan's Island episodes were the ones with dream sequences. I can see why. I still laugh at his gape mouthed, British twit interpretation of Sherlock Holmes in Gilligan's vampire dream.

kunilou
01-16-2014, 08:46 PM

Back in the era of Gilligan's Island, actors were only paid for a set number of reruns (typically something like 7) when a show went into syndication. Wikipedia says that changed in the mid-1970's. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rerun#Syndication)

Here's an article that really doesn't make the subject more clear, except to say that the author got a check for 67 cents (http://www.cgllpblog.com/2008/11/calculating-sag-results/) for his appearance in an episode of The Facts of Life.

Little Nemo
01-16-2014, 08:58 PM

I'm totally ignorant on this topic, but again, I thought syndicated shows meant lots of money for the actors involved.As terenti said, it depends on the contract. And Gilligan's Island was broadcast back in the sixties before there were cable networks and home viewing. I doubt anyone anticipated how many times those episodes would end up being shown.

One person who benefited from this was Audrey Meadows who played Alice on The Honeymooners. Most actors had agents or lawyers who specialized in show business to negotiate their contracts. But Meadows had some family members who were regular lawyers. So when they were negotiating Meadow's contract one of the things they asked for was perpetual residuals. Which was a joke back in the fifties - shows back then might be shown as a rerun once if that. The idea that anyone would want to rewatch an old television show seemed as unlikely as the idea somebody would want to reread an old newspaper. So the studio representatives were undoubtedly laughing to themselves about the inexperience of Meadow's lawyers as they agreed to the demand. The result, of course, was that Meadows was getting monthly checks from the studio for the rest of her life.

cochrane
01-16-2014, 09:04 PM
by then, of course, he had the clout to demand a piece of the action.
I see what you did there. ;)

MacCat
01-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Just noticed him last night in a 1959 episode of Gunsmoke.

terentii
01-16-2014, 09:07 PM

:D

Leaffan
01-16-2014, 09:13 PM
I don't. :confused:

terentii
01-16-2014, 09:17 PM

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/A_Piece_of_the_Action_(episode)

cochrane
01-16-2014, 09:18 PM

Star Trek TOS - "A Piece of the Action" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Piece_of_the_Action_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series))

Siam Sam
01-16-2014, 09:21 PM

Three-way with Ginger and Mary Ann?

RIP, Professor. :(

terentii
01-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Three-way with Ginger and Mary Ann?

Yes, please! :)

Siam Sam
01-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Just so it wasn't with Gilligan and the Skipper!

TriPolar
01-16-2014, 09:39 PM
As terenti said, it depends on the contract. And Gilligan's Island was broadcast back in the sixties before there were cable networks and home viewing. I doubt anyone anticipated how many times those episodes would end up being shown.

Natalie Schafer did the pilot thinking the show would never be picked up, and just wanted the free trip to Hawaii where the pilot was shot. She others didn't expect to make much money at all. Dawn Wells claims that her fiance(?) at the time was an agent who negotiated decent residuals for her while the rest of the cast received next to nothing, common at the time for anyone on a TV show who was not already a star. She kept this quiet for years knowing that the rest of the cast didn't have that lucrative deal. It was later on, the late 70s I believe, when standard contracts gave actors decent residual income.

outlierrn
01-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Remember, they did repair the Minnow in one episode? Problem was, the glue turned out to be no good and the boat fell apart!

You'd've thought, though, that he could have come up with something a lot better than that.... :(

I was at a speaking engagement for MIT ... and I said ... the Professor has all sorts of degrees, including one from this very institution [MIT]! And that's why I can make a radio out of a coconut, and not fix a hole in a boat!
—Russell Johnson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Johnson#Later_years_and_death

buddha_david
01-16-2014, 10:21 PM
So sad to hear of this, my favorite Gilligan's Island character was always Professor Andaltherest.

Bumbershoot
01-17-2014, 04:22 AM

Bad: It hopelessly typecast him, and while he had some talent you couldn't look at him without thinking "it's the Professor", and while I doubt he died indigent it certainly didn't make him rich because shows didn't pay much then and no residuals. Had to get irritating being recognized for something you did decades ago that hamstringed you without paying.

Good: It did enable him to get recognized, and even low level fame has its perks. And acting is not a logical profession; there are numerous actors just as talented or more who were never able to make a living at it.

So I'll go with 'Chaotic Neutral'.

I saw this quote on his IMDb page:

It used to make me upset to be typecast that way. But as the years have gone on, I have given in. I am the Professor, and that's the way it is. The show has brought a lot of joy to people, and that's not a bad legacy.

CandidGamera
01-17-2014, 08:25 AM
And his coffin will be made entirely of coconuts.

Rest in Peace!

Hypno-Toad
01-17-2014, 08:28 AM
If you wanted to make Johnson mad, you just had to ask him about Ronald Reagan. Johnson HATED Reagan for his anti-commie witch hunts. He blamed Reagan for much of the blacklisting phenomenon.

Rachellelogram
01-17-2014, 10:27 AM
I love this, and you. I simultaneously hate you for making the reference before I could, though.

ftg
01-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Given the two remaining cast members, the question of "Ginger or Mary Ann?" can take on a different meaning. Who will be the last to go?

Dawn is younger by almost 4 years and definitely looks a lot more than 4 years younger. Both could easily last 10 years more, barring cancer or some such. Dawn might even last another 20. Yikes.

etv78
01-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Did Tina have botched work done? Because I agree Dawn is aging better.

Gagundathar
01-17-2014, 11:13 AM
I never understood the question in the first place.
Which of these women do I want more than the other to share time with?
Mary Ann.
Which of these women are better lovers?
Mary Ann.
Which of these women are better looking?
Mary Ann.

Though, I must say that the episode where Ginger's gown reacts poorly to the new cleaning solution devised by The Professor and thereby falls off, well honestly that was pretty sexy to me at the time.

But, pretty much Mary Ann. Anyone who disagrees is just plain wrong.
;)

Rilchiam
01-17-2014, 11:39 AM
IRL, they were about equal. Pre-GI, Tina Louise was a model; Dawn Wells was Miss Nevada. I still hope to meet Wells, so I can ask her what her talent was in the pageant. I know it wasn't singing.

Hypno-Toad, Johnson also mentioned in his autobio that he was seen by Reagan and others as a commie sympathizer because he'd attended Actor's Lab. Really. And Walter Brennan once asked him to sign some anti-commie petition. Johnson refused, on the grounds that since he'd served and been shot down in the Pacific theater, he'd already proven his patriotism. Don't know about Brennan, but Reagan didn't serve in the war at all.

astorian
01-17-2014, 11:59 AM
IRL, they were about equal. Pre-GI, Tina Louise was a model; Dawn Wells was Miss Nevada. I still hope to meet Wells, so I can ask her what her talent was in the pageant. I know it wasn't singing.

Hypno-Toad, Johnson also mentioned in his autobio that he was seen by Reagan and others as a commie sympathizer because he'd attended Actor's Lab. Really. And Walter Brennan once asked him to sign some anti-commie petition. Johnson refused, on the grounds that since he'd served and been shot down in the Pacific theater, he'd already proven his patriotism. Don't know about Brennan, but Reagan didn't serve in the war at all.

Reagan DID enlist, but he didn't serve in any capacity that would have entailed combat or heroism. Mainly, he made training films.

Amateur Barbarian
01-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Johnson also mentioned in his autobio that he was seen by Reagan and others as a commie sympathizer because he'd attended Actor's Lab. Really.
He also mentioned that Law & Order was his favorite of his movies... because he got to shoot Reagan in that one.

Amateur Barbarian
01-17-2014, 12:03 PM
And his coffin will be made entirely of coconuts.
Not true!

The handles will be made of bamboo.

Marley23
01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
He also mentioned that Law & Order was his favorite of his movies... because he got to shoot Reagan in that one.
... Hinkley shot Reagan?

Amateur Barbarian
01-17-2014, 12:20 PM
... Hinkley shot Reagan?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Bricker
01-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Reagan DID enlist, but he didn't serve in any capacity that would have entailed combat or heroism. Mainly, he made training films.

Not only did he enlist -- he was commissioned as an officer and promoted twice, ending up as a captain. He was disqualified from combat roles because of nearsightedness.

None of which gave him any right to question Johnson's patriotism, of course; Johnson left the war as a first lieutenant and a Purple Heart from wounds received when his B-25 was shot down over the Philippines.

Robot Arm
01-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Mary Ann.And you know this how?

TriPolar
01-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Reagan seems to have been in a politcal transition at that time. It was others who made claims such as "Reagan served his country in uniform" when it was just a costume for a film. I don't know that Reagan made those claims himself. But in contrast I would consider Russel Johnson a war hero, and Cold War hero on top of that.

What impresses me in retrospect is that he portrayed the Professor without any physical stereotypes. The rest of the cast relied on costumes to characterize their roles.

ElvisL1ves
01-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Don't know about BrennanHe served in the Army in France in the first war.

Gagundathar
01-17-2014, 01:35 PM
And you know this how?

Alright. I admit it. I was married to Dawn Wells back in the 1960s.

Or, wait... maybe not. Perhaps I just imagined it.

GIGObuster
01-17-2014, 01:54 PM
... Hinkley shot Reagan?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Too bad for that freak coincidence that the name of the would be real life killer was Hinckley.

Marley23
01-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Too bad for that freak coincidence that the name of the would be real life killer was Hinckley.
I know. But it's close enough to be amusing.

bup
01-17-2014, 02:16 PM
And you know this how?Oh, come on. If you can't tell Ginger's going to lie in bed, expecting to do nothing but "be served," and that Mary Ann will be as energetic as a farm animal, then you deserve what you sleep with.

Amateur Barbarian
01-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Alright. I admit it. I was married to Dawn Wells back in the 1960s.

Or, wait... maybe not. Perhaps I just imagined it.
Just to make it clear, you can't be "married" for five or six minutes at a stretch.

Rilchiam
01-17-2014, 03:56 PM
He served in the Army in France in the first war.

Okay then.

Siam Sam
01-17-2014, 06:46 PM
I never understood the question in the first place.
Which of these women do I want more than the other to share time with?
Mary Ann.
Mary Ann.
Which of these women are better looking?
Mary Ann.

Though, I must say that the episode where Ginger's gown reacts poorly to the new cleaning solution devised by The Professor and thereby falls off, well honestly that was pretty sexy to me at the time.

But, pretty much Mary Ann. Anyone who disagrees is just plain wrong.
;)

Seems there was tension behind the scenes because Dawn Wells' fan mail vastly outnumbered Tina Louise's.

Just to make it clear, you can't be "married" for five or six minutes at a stretch.

You can in Thailand!

Siam Sam
01-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Just found out Tina Louise turns 80 next month! Geez, I'm getting old. :(

China Guy
01-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Liked the Professor by the way.

Didn't Tina Louise do some TV commericials with the subtitles "Hollywood Actress" flashing across the bottom of the screen?

Mary Ann all the way.

terentii
01-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Didn't Tina Louise do some TV commericials with the subtitles "Hollywood Actress" flashing across the bottom of the screen?

The last time I saw her was in some early episodes of Dallas, playing JR's secretary.

http://mrsjrewing.tripod.com/id23.html

Sampiro
01-17-2014, 10:19 PM
If you wanted to make Johnson mad, you just had to ask him about Ronald Reagan. Johnson HATED Reagan for his anti-commie witch hunts. He blamed Reagan for much of the blacklisting phenomenon.

Also for what he saw as the Reagan Administration's apathy for the early days of the AIDS epidemic. Johnson's only son, David, was diagnosed with HIV in the '80s and became a major activist, which got Johnson involved as well. (David Johnson died from AIDS in '94.)

Siam Sam
01-18-2014, 04:19 AM
Liked the Professor by the way.

Mary Ann all the way.

The only other thing I can recall ever seeing Tina Louise in besides Gilligan's Island was one episode of Love, American Style in which she played a very, very minor role. Almost a walk-on.

ftg
01-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Oh, come on. If you can't tell Ginger's going to lie in bed, expecting to do nothing but "be served," and that Mary Ann will be as energetic as a farm animal, then you deserve what you sleep with.

In Bob Denver's book, he mentioned the noise Tina Louise made during her trysts in the trailer next to his. She semi-denied it, of course. But there has been a lot of talk over the years. Doesn't prove that Ginger would be the same, but it's something to think about.

If a pot smoking (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/celebrity/television/dawn-wells) nature gal is more your type, then Dawn Wells is for you.

As to Tina Louise's other work, the list is quite long if mostly so-so. If you're a Gilligan's Island fan, you have to see For Those Who Think Young with both Tina Louise and Bob Denver. (And Ellen Burstyn for some odd reason.) Another notable work of hers is Mean Dog Blues, but hard to find. Not released on DVD I think.

nevadaexile
01-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Russell Johnson was a solid journeyman actor who really paid his dues. Unfortunately, like everybody else on that remarkably silly show he was typecast as "The Professor" for the remainder of his life and he couldn't do anything else.

I remember that he played a racist police officer in a PBS kids program in the late 1970s. He also played a scientist in THE FBI show on ABC (not a stretch) from the late 1960.

It's a shame that he was so smart on the Gilligan's Island that he could never invent a RAFT and get them off of there.

terentii
01-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Russell Johnson was a solid journeyman actor who really paid his dues. Unfortunately, like everybody else on that remarkably silly show he was typecast as "The Professor" for the remainder of his life and he couldn't do anything else.

I remember that he played a racist police officer in a PBS kids program in the late 1970s. He also played a scientist in THE FBI show on ABC (not a stretch) from the late 1960.

It's a shame that he was so smart on the Gilligan's Island that he could never invent a RAFT and get them off of there.

As mentioned in another thread, he played the villain in an episode of Ironside, in which he gave himself away by putting peanuts in his bottle of Coca-Cola.

They did build a raft in one episode when they thought the island was sinking. It fell apart when they were testing it.

In one of the very first episodes, Gilligan and the Skipper actually went out to sea on one, but it too came apart.

In the first TV movie, didn't they get off the island in a bamboo raft of sorts when a tsunami hit?

Siam Sam
01-18-2014, 08:30 PM

I saw him in some 1950s B movies. I saw them after Gilligan's Island of course. That's why I recognized him.

CalMeacham
01-20-2014, 04:41 PM

As I pointed out above, Johnson was already typecast as a Professor before he ever ended up on Giligan's Island.

Mister Rik
01-20-2014, 05:17 PM
But remember y'all, this is a man of Science who can make a battery out of a coconut, salt water and something he stole from Ginger's makeup kit when she wasn't watching, but yet, he can't repair the Minnow.

"I like the Professor, he always save their butts
He could build a nuclear reactor from a couple of coconuts
She said, 'That guy's a genius!' I shook my head and laughed
I said, 'If he's so fly then tell me why he couldn't build a lousy raft'

('Weird Al' Yankovic, Isle Thing)

And it looks like Dawn Wells could do the "smoky-eyes" thing:

http://www.fanpix.net/picture-gallery/dawn-wells-picture-10178382.htm

Yowza. Anybody know what that pic is from? It doesn't look like GI, and she looks younger there.

terentii
01-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Yowza. Anybody know what that pic is from? It doesn't look like GI, and she looks younger there.

Since it's in color and apparently set in the present, I'd guess it's from her 1967 guest spot in The Invaders, right after GI ended.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0920171/

My mother would have been shocked if she had known how I lusted after Dawn between fourth and seventh grade.... :rolleyes:

Digital is the new Analog
01-20-2014, 05:44 PM
Since it's in color and apparently set in the present, I'd guess it's from her 1967 guest spot in The Invaders, right after GI ended.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0920171/

My mother would have been shocked if she had known how I lusted after Dawn between fourth and seventh grade.... :rolleyes:

This site uses the same headshot (http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredit.aspx?ActorID=18159) for The Invaders.

Shoeless
01-20-2014, 05:51 PM
I was just emailing a friend of mine today who lives on Bainbridge Island, asking him if he ever ran into Russell Johnson, when the irony struck me: here's a guy who spent years trying to get off an island, then he goes and retires on one!

R.I.P. Professor.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.