PDA

View Full Version : Has Dawn Wells ever commented on 'Ginger, or Mary Ann'?

Johnny L.A.
01-20-2014, 09:43 PM
The title is the question.

Superdude
01-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Yes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQywkCcibpg)

Johnny L.A.
01-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Thanks.

Sampiro
01-20-2014, 10:41 PM
She has personally done Mary Ann many many times.

Nobody in the Gilligans Island cast seemed to have any use at all for Tina Louise, save perhaps for Tina Louise, so they were all a bit biased.

GuanoLad
01-20-2014, 10:55 PM
That's an excellent answer she gave. I think she's right.

Robot Arm
01-20-2014, 11:11 PM
There's also this (http://dawnwells.com/product/blue-t-shirt/) for sale on her website.

terentii
01-21-2014, 02:44 AM

I disagree with her comment that the whole thing began after the show was in syndication. I remember arguing about it with my classmates when I was in fifth or sixth grade (1965--67). Mary Ann always won, hands down.

installLSC
01-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Wow. She's stunning, and I got a new answer for this thread. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=546743&highlight=oldest+attracted)

astorian
01-21-2014, 09:18 AM

Nobody in the Gilligans Island cast seemed to have any use at all for Tina Louise, save perhaps for Tina Louise, so they were all a bit biased.

I have no inside info, but it always appeared that, decades after the show went off the air, Bob Denver, Dawn Wells and Russell Johnson were still close friends, but that nobody cared to stay in touch with Tina Louise.

terentii
01-21-2014, 09:49 AM
I have no inside info, but it always appeared that, decades after the show went off the air, Bob Denver, Dawn Wells and Russell Johnson were still close friends, but that nobody cared to stay in touch with Tina Louise.

I think it was more her decision to keep her distance. She basically thought she had been suckered into doing GI (she thought it was going to be about her, i.e., a movie star stuck on a desert island) and resented being part of an ensemble cast. She was also afraid of being typecast by doing a silly sitcom. From what I've heard, she was mostly interested in entertaining her boyfriend(s) in her private trailer on the set.

When she was offered the chance to be in the TV movies, she turned it down flat.

terentii
01-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Wow. She's stunning, and I got a new answer for this thread. (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=546743&highlight=oldest+attracted)

It's her smile, and those incredibly gorgeous eyes. Why she never became Miss USA (or Miss America) is beyond me.

Bryan Ekers
01-21-2014, 10:14 AM
It's her smile, and those incredibly gorgeous eyes. Why she never became Miss USA (or Miss America) is beyond me.

Well, she tried but 1960 belonged to Lynda Lee Mead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynda_Lee_Mead).

Amateur Barbarian
01-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Part of her answer is hugely self-selective, though: the bit about Playboy's "Ginger, Mary Ann or The Girl Next Door"... Playboy has always been about "the girl next door" no matter how improbable or fantasy-driven that is. Since Playboy is basically written for the 14yo boy in every suave, sophisticated, urban swinger... I guess she's right all around. :D

terentii
01-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Well, she tried but 1960 belonged to Lynda Lee Mead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynda_Lee_Mead).

Not a patch on Dawn, IMHO. :(

Labrador Deceiver
01-21-2014, 12:58 PM

Do we know how old that interview is?

terentii
01-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Do we know how old that interview is?

23 December 2008.

http://emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/dawn-wells

Gangster Octopus
01-21-2014, 01:39 PM
While I also pick Mary Anne over Ginger (which seems to be the consensus), I do feel bad for Tina Louise, because she was actually a stunning looking woman. When she was in her 20's she was considered one of the most beautiful women in the world. Of course the question isn't a reference to Louise herself, per se, but the portrayal, its gotta be a little annoying that you have been relegated to second place on an ongoing debate.

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
01-21-2014, 02:34 PM
If you'd seen Tina Louise in roles outside of GI, you'd probably think she was a pretty capable actress--probably better than Wells in the few things I've seen Wells in. In addition to what has also been said, I suspect that similar to Robert Reed in "Brady Bunch," she also probably thought that the role was beneath her acting abilities--but it's hard for an actor to turn down a steady paycheck.

Don Draper
01-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Tina Louise lives (or lived, can't say I know if she's still there) on the same block as a friend of mine used to - midtown east Manhattan, a few blocks away from the U.N. He told me he'd see her working out at the YMCA and that she always wore her hair in pigtails (she was in her 70s at this point.)

One day after leaving my friends' apartment, I stopped in at the Duane Reade drugstore. There was a short line at the counter, not paying much attention The lady at the counter was trying to pay with a personal check. The cashier told her she couldn't, and the customer began bellowing "Don't you know who I am??? I'm an actress!!" Of course, I and everybody else looks up and - guess who? - it's Tina Louise!!! She stormed out in a huff when the cashier wouldn't take her check.

terentii
01-21-2014, 04:31 PM
She also probably thought that the role was beneath her acting abilities--but it's hard for an actor to turn down a steady paycheck.
Plus, by the time she realized she wasn't going to be the focus of the show, she had already signed her contract. :rolleyes:

Maserschmidt
01-21-2014, 06:04 PM
I've always felt like in retrospect my preference as a 10YO for Mary Ann was based on the notion of 'who would I have the better chance with?' or 'who would make me feel less inadequate'?

Looking back, however, my choice is Ginger.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TINA-LOUISE-hand-signed-BAREFOOT-YOUNG-SEXY-8x10-IN-BALES-OF-HAY-w-lifetime-COA-/161090432183?nma=true&si=ikaG0ZxHj6YyXx2Z1WiN7ow8I8A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And yes I know what she looked like later, but let's stick with the 60’s versions. :)

RealityChuck
01-21-2014, 06:17 PM
I think the fact that Tina Louise was resentful about playing the part came through on screen and put people off. There was always a touch of aloofness in her character that made her less attractive.

As for her not knowing she wasn't the star, I remember on writeup about the shoe (before it aired) that implied Jim Backus was the star and the premise was his living like a millionaire (with the implication that he would be playing Gilligan). It may have been a misunderstanding by the reporter, or it could have been that Backus also had been led to believe he'd be the star (though he went with it, mainly because he already had an acting gig that season as Mr. Magoo and probably couldn't managed the two roles). If Backus had been misled, it's possible that Tina Louise was, too -- though she was less gracious about it.

Amateur Barbarian
01-21-2014, 06:20 PM
I have the collective impression that Schwartz told every one of the cast that they were to be the star.

Same as with Robert Reed...

Sampiro
01-21-2014, 06:26 PM
"Don't you know who I am??? I'm an actress!!"

Given what we know of many actor's finances and responsibility, that's probably not as reassuring a comment as she thought it was.

terentii
01-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Given what we know of many actor's finances and responsibility, that's probably not as reassuring a comment as she thought it was.

If it was some pimply-faced kid behind the register, the name "Tina Louise" probably meant as much to him/her as "David Rice Atchison."* :rolleyes:

*Go ahead, Google it! :D

Siam Sam
01-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Would that I could say the same for me. :(

terentii
01-22-2014, 11:19 AM
I have the collective impression that Schwartz told every one of the cast that they were to be the star.

That would have been a lot more likely in the case of Jim Backus, since he had already been a fairly big name for quite a while. He was also the only member of the GI cast who was ever allowed to ad-lib, and he did it brilliantly.

Chimera
01-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Well remember, this was a time of 'Day Players'. Where you'd have a small regular cast, and then Day Players who were not really under contract and weren't payed very well. On Star Trek, one of the reasons Shatner treated the others so poorly was that only he and Nimoy (and maybe Kelly) were "Stars", and the rest (Takei, Nichols, etc) were only Day Players.

I could be wrong, but I recall reading Shatner justifying himself that way.

So yeah, everyone was the star of GI, because they were all under contract.

terentii
01-22-2014, 11:31 AM
So yeah, everyone was the star of GI, because they were all under contract.

One of TV's greatest ensemble casts, but Bob Denver was clearly the focus of the show and had the clout that came with it.

Bill Door
01-22-2014, 11:36 AM

Same as with Robert Reed...

Like the bit player's description of Hamlet. It's a play about a gravedigger who meets a king.

Chronos
01-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Shouldn't it have been obvious that, with the title of the show being "Gilligan's Island", that Gilligan would be the star?

Gangster Octopus
01-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Here is an a clip from the pilot episode (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBq4KMkH8ug), where Mary Ann is actually a typical scatter-brained blonde secretary, Ginger is a red-haired secretary, and the professor is actual a high school teacher.

pulykamell
01-22-2014, 01:00 PM
I've always felt like in retrospect my preference as a 10YO for Mary Ann was based on the notion of 'who would I have the better chance with?' or 'who would make me feel less inadequate'?

Looking back, however, my choice is Ginger.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TINA-LOUISE-hand-signed-BAREFOOT-YOUNG-SEXY-8x10-IN-BALES-OF-HAY-w-lifetime-COA-/161090432183?nma=true&si=ikaG0ZxHj6YyXx2Z1WiN7ow8I8A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And yes I know what she looked like later, but let's stick with the 60ís versions. :)

I was always a Ginger kind of guy, but, yeah, the years have been much kinder to Mary Ann.

Aquadementia
01-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Ginger is in that ball gown while Mary Ann goes around in tiny shorts and a half shirt with a bare midriff showing more skin then she isn't. Yet somehow Mary Ann is considered the surprise choice. It's really not that surprising.

Freddy the Pig
01-22-2014, 01:27 PM
While I also pick Mary Anne over Ginger (which seems to be the consensus), I do feel bad for Tina Louise . . .Me too. It isn't her fault that the whole point of her character was to be spoiled and unapproachable.Ginger is in that ball gown while Mary Ann goes around in tiny shorts and a half shirt with a bare midriff showing more skin then she isn't.There were a couple scenes where Mary Anne dressed like that, but most of the time she wore either slacks or a gingham frock.

terentii
01-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Ginger is in that ball gown while Mary Ann goes around in tiny shorts and a half shirt with a bare midriff showing more skin then she isn't. Yet somehow Mary Ann is considered the surprise choice. It's really not that surprising.

If I had been a couple of years older, moments like these would have put me, uhm, over the top, so to speak: :rolleyes:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-ltzEygYw2s/0.jpg

http://fourthdimensionalrecovery.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/dawn-wells.jpg

http://www.fanpix.net/picture-gallery/dawn-wells-picture-18662780.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSjTj2tnp9M

Vinyl Turnip
01-22-2014, 02:22 PM
I was always a Ginger kind of guy, but, yeah, the years have been much kinder to Mary Ann.

You ain't kidding (http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tina%2BLouise%2B2012%2BAcademy%2BMotion%2BPicture%2BArts%2BHgXc-glvzCLl.jpg). Looks like there's more than just years to blame for that result, though.

Skywatcher
01-22-2014, 03:00 PM
I disagree with her comment that the whole thing began after the show was in syndication.That's not her comment. She says it grew during syndication but boys were more interested in Mary Ann from the beginning.

standingwave
01-22-2014, 03:26 PM

She had the better personality, seemed happy and upbeat most of the time despite their circumstances and could make coconut cream pies. It's not complicated.

salinqmind
01-22-2014, 05:20 PM
I always thought Tina Louise must not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. If she thought she was going to be the focal point of a show called Gilligan's Island (featuring Gilligan), about movie star stuck on island with civilians - how long could that show have gone on? It would have gotten pretty boring really fast. There's just not that much to go on.

Chimera
01-22-2014, 05:31 PM
My theory* is that Tina Louise became jealous that more men actually preferred Dawn Wells over her. If she had become this great sex object because of the show, her attitude probably would have been very different. But she was put in to be this fabulously beautiful actress, and instead was overshadowed by 'the rest'/the farm girl.

* that I just made up

BMalion
01-22-2014, 05:55 PM
... and could make coconut cream pies. ...

Where did she get the cream?

Ewwww.

terentii
01-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Where did she get the cream?

Ewwww.

Coconut milk.

terentii
01-22-2014, 07:02 PM
That's not her comment. She says it grew during syndication but boys were more interested in Mary Ann from the beginning.

We apparently interpret "And I don't think it went on during the show" differently. :rolleyes:

notfrommensa
01-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Looking at Tina Louise IMDB resume (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001481/), it doesn't appear that she had Bold Print items prior to GI. I am not sure why she would think she would have top billing over Bob Denver who had a solid job in Dobie Gillis and even Jim Backus who had his own shoe plus the voice of Mr Magoo.

Pretty presumptuous I would think. IMO, Her credits are tied for third with the rest of the cast (Alan Hale, Dawn Wells, Natalie Schafer, and Russell Johnson).

terentii
01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
I am not sure why she would think she would have top billing over Bob Denver who had a solid job in Dobie Gillis and even Jim Backus who had his own shoe plus the voice of Mr Magoo.

Plus, Alan Hale was not only a veteran actor by then, but the son of a Hollywood legend as well.

BMalion
01-22-2014, 08:32 PM
Coconut milk.

And the eggs?

Learjeff
01-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Isn't the answer (to the MAoG question) obvious?

One night with Ginger, the rest with Mary Ann.

Unless Mary Ann is bi, in which case ... oh never mind.

Tangent
01-22-2014, 11:57 PM
I remember on writeup about the shoe

and even Jim Backus who had his own shoe

Boy, you guys place a lot of importance on footwear!

terentii
01-23-2014, 05:14 AM
And the eggs?

Were there no birds or reptiles on the island? :dubious:

Actually, in the B&W episode where she made the first cream pie, I think she explained to Gilligan which native ingredients she used.

silenus
01-23-2014, 07:17 AM

It's the Ed Sullivan influence.

salinqmind
01-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Were there no birds or reptiles on the island? :dubious:

Actually, in the B&W episode where she made the first cream pie, I think she explained to Gilligan which native ingredients she used.

One could somehow make a creamy coconut filling for a 'pie' from coconuts. Even without eggs. I want to know did she make a crust? from what? never mind eggs, how about the sugar? sweetened with.....?? did she bake this pie, and if so, how? (probably with a reflective box using the sun, rigged by the professor)

Chronos
01-23-2014, 09:50 AM
She says that the question "Mary Ann or Ginger?" didn't really show up during airing, but arose during syndication. The answer, of course, was there all along. That is to say, any straight male watching the show, on any airing, would develop a preference, but it wasn't until after that you could just ask a random guy on the street "Mary Ann or Ginger?", and both of you would know what you were talking about.

Chimera
01-23-2014, 09:53 AM
One could somehow make a creamy coconut filling for a 'pie' from coconuts. Even without eggs. I want to know did she make a crust? from what? never mind eggs, how about the sugar? sweetened with.....?? did she bake this pie, and if so, how? (probably with a reflective box using the sun, rigged by the professor)

Bird eggs.
Breast milk. :p
Sago (Palm flour)

BigT
01-23-2014, 09:55 AM
We apparently interpret "And I don't think it went on during the show" differently. :rolleyes:

Just like the Bible, you sometimes have to listen to the entire context. Her immediate next words are what Skywatcher said.

terentii
01-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Just like the Bible, you sometimes have to listen to the entire context. Her immediate next words are what Skywatcher said.

Her immediate next words are "I think it grew as the show went into reruns." :rolleyes:

terentii
01-23-2014, 11:14 AM

If you like, I'll pull the DVD with this episode out of its box and give a full report when I'm through working.

Skywatcher
01-23-2014, 11:36 AM

She says that the question "Mary Ann or Ginger?" didn't really show up during airing, but arose during syndication."It grew during syndication." For it to grow, it had to exist during the original run, n'est ce pas?

simster
01-23-2014, 11:39 AM
"It grew during syndication." For it to grow, it had to exist during the original run, n'est ce pas?

And a new debate was born.

Did it exist and then grow? or did it have to grow first to exist?

SirGalahad
01-23-2014, 11:47 AM

As Chimera said: Bird eggs, Palm flour, and Coconut, which is sweet by itself ... are you implying that the castaways are unable to start a fire? And that they would be challenged by the concept of a stone or mud-brick oven? You don't have to be the Professor (or even a boy scout) to start a fire and build a simple oven.

Johnny L.A.
01-23-2014, 11:51 AM
it exist and then grow? or did it have to grow first to exist?

'I s'pect I growed. Don't think nobody never made me.'

Skywatcher
01-23-2014, 12:02 PM
And a new debate was born.

Did it exist and then grow? or did it have to grow first to exist?"I don't think it went on during the show" immediately followed by "I think it grew as the show went into reruns" implies she means that "I don't think it went on during the show to the degree that it did during reruns."

BMalion
01-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Maybe Ginger and her were ovulating.

Amateur Barbarian
01-23-2014, 04:16 PM
It's the Ed Sullivan influence.
A rully big influence.

salinqmind
01-23-2014, 06:50 PM
As Chimera said: Bird eggs, Palm flour, and Coconut, which is sweet by itself ... are you implying that the castaways are unable to start a fire? And that they would be challenged by the concept of a stone or mud-brick oven? You don't have to be the Professor (or even a boy scout) to start a fire and build a simple oven.

D'oh! Yes, of course.

There could have been sea turtles laying eggs. and maybe there was sugar cane growing on the island.

I don't know why I'm obsessed with this, but it's the kind of thing that occupies my mind for hours.

Chimera
01-23-2014, 06:58 PM
There could have been sea turtles laying eggs. and maybe there was sugar cane growing on the island.

"Sago from Metroxylon palms is nearly pure carbohydrate and has very little protein, vitamins, or minerals. 100 grams of dry sago typically comprises 94 grams of carbohydrate, 0.2 grams of protein, 0.5 grams of dietary fiber, 10 mg of calcium, 1.2 mg of iron and negligible amounts of fat, carotene, thiamine and ascorbic acid and yields approximately 355 calories."

So slightly less than 4 ounces, 355 calories. Sweet enough for you? You still need sugar cane?

terentii
01-24-2014, 02:48 AM
"I don't think it went on during the show" immediately followed by "I think it grew as the show went into reruns" implies she means that "I don't think it went on during the show to the degree that it did during reruns."

But it did go on during the show, I assure you. I was part of it. :D

terentii
01-24-2014, 02:49 AM
"Sago from Metroxylon palms is nearly pure carbohydrate and has very little protein, vitamins, or minerals. 100 grams of dry sago typically comprises 94 grams of carbohydrate, 0.2 grams of protein, 0.5 grams of dietary fiber, 10 mg of calcium, 1.2 mg of iron and negligible amounts of fat, carotene, thiamine and ascorbic acid and yields approximately 355 calories."

So slightly less than 4 ounces, 355 calories. Sweet enough for you? You still need sugar cane?

How about honey? :dubious:

Irishman
01-24-2014, 10:03 AM
So, you're the Professor on Gilligan's Island. You're a brilliant and reasonably attractive, reasonbly fit and healthy male in your '30s to '40s.

Your competition on the island consists of:

Gilligan: the goofy, bumbling, clumsy, moronic, inept, goofy-faced guy with the maturity of a 12 year old.

The Skipper: an overweight blowhard with the brilliance to hire as his first (and only) mate the aforementioned Gilligan.

Thurston Howell the Third, i.e. the Millionaire: sure, he's got money (that you can't currently spend), but he's ancient, and married to a nagging old crone. And they didn't have Viagra back then.

Hmmmmm.

Ginger or Mary Ann? What's with this "choose" thing?

Chronos
01-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Despite his bumbling ineptness, Ginger did actually seem to have some affinity towards Gilligan (maybe she just liked a guy she could more easily manipulate). Fine, let him have her, as long as he's not competing with me for Mary Ann, I'm happy.

handsomeharry
01-25-2014, 11:51 PM
nm

outlierrn
01-26-2014, 03:18 AM
Isn't the answer (to the MAoG question) obvious?

One night with Ginger, the rest with Mary Ann.

Unless Mary Ann is bi, in which case ... oh never mind.

I'll be in my hut.

Tangent
01-26-2014, 11:39 AM
^in your bunk hammock.

Lok
01-26-2014, 12:48 PM
I think it was more her decision to keep her distance. She basically thought she had been suckered into doing GI (she thought it was going to be about her, i.e., a movie star stuck on a desert island) and resented being part of an ensemble cast. She was also afraid of being typecast by doing a silly sitcom. From what I've heard, she was mostly interested in entertaining her boyfriend(s) in her private trailer on the set.

Shouldn't it have been obvious that, with the title of the show being "Gilligan's Island", that Gilligan would be the star?

In a special on the show from years ago, I think it was Surviving Gilligan's Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_Gilligan%27s_Island), Denver, Wells, and Johnson talked about experiences doing the show. One of them told the story of the first script read through, where Tina Louise complained that the script didn't seem to focus on her as the star. They all looked at her funny and one of them asked her, "Why would you think you're the star of a show that is named Gilligan's Island?"

Aquadementia
01-26-2014, 01:28 PM
In a special on the show from years ago, I think it was Surviving Gilligan's Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviving_Gilligan%27s_Island), Denver, Wells, and Johnson talked about experiences doing the show. One of them told the story of the first script read through, where Tina Louise complained that the script didn't seem to focus on her as the star. They all looked at her funny and one of them asked her, "Why would you think you're the star of a show that is named Gilligan's Island?"

The thing I always wondered is if she thought up to that point that she was Gilligan.
If it's 1964 you've probably never heard that name before and I expect most people would guess that is a girls name.

Lok
01-26-2014, 03:54 PM
The thing I always wondered is if she thought up to that point that she was Gilligan.
If it's 1964 you've probably never heard that name before and I expect most people would guess that is a girls name.
I doubt it. From my understanding they tell people the character they are auditioning for, and certainly they would have told her the name when they cast her. This was long after that point in the process.

ftg
01-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Producers lie and actors are naive.

Wayne Rogers was told Trapper John would be the star character of the TV series M*A*S*H. But anyone checking the movie or book would know it revolves around Hawkeye. Made for a very unhappy actor who left the show (and became a major investment advisor to the stars).

BMalion
01-27-2014, 10:20 AM
I doubt it. From my understanding they tell people the character they are auditioning for, and certainly they would have told her the name when they cast her...

"And the rest."

Chronos
01-27-2014, 10:24 AM
No, "And the rest" was the Professor and Mary Ann. Ginger, the Movie Star, was one of the five mentioned specifically in the original theme song.

Lok
01-27-2014, 10:30 AM
"And the rest."
As Chronos says, she was a named character in the theme, not part of "and the rest." And do you really think that Wells and Johnson didn't know the names of their characters before they signed the contracts?

"Yeah, you're playing "all the rest" we'll come up with something else later."

RTFirefly
01-27-2014, 10:43 AM
I'll be in my hut.Nice double reference!

epbrown01
01-27-2014, 11:02 AM

She thought it was Gillian's Island. ;)

terentii
01-27-2014, 12:41 PM

The special gave the impression that it was Tina's agent who misled her. If so, I'd guess he was focused more on his fee than on her wishes.

BMalion
01-27-2014, 04:18 PM
No, "And the rest" was the Professor and Mary Ann. Ginger, the Movie Star, was one of the five mentioned specifically in the original theme song.

I was kidding. I was only referring to Dawn Wells.

:)

Voyager
01-27-2014, 07:51 PM
The special gave the impression that it was Tina's agent who misled her. If so, I'd guess he was focused more on his fee than on her wishes.

I'm sure she read for it before the contract was signed, so while that was probably a set of pages with a lot of her in them, she knew her character name.

Tapiotar
01-28-2014, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck
I remember on writeup about the shoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa
and even Jim Backus who had his own shoe

Nah, it's the ghost of Ed Sullivan jumping in.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.