PDA

View Full Version : "Survivor: Cagayan" cast announced.

silenus
01-22-2014, 11:47 AM
All new players, No Redemption Island. Three tribes: Brains, Beauty, Brawn (http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/22/survivor-cagayan-new-cast-nba-all-star-north-korea-cliff-robinson/?hpt=hp_t3).

They just might have won me back.

Fear Itself
01-22-2014, 11:51 AM
No fat people or old people. They lost me years ago.

Zeldar
01-22-2014, 11:54 AM
We'll watch anyway. It's like a habit. We bet on our choice before the first tribal and whoever's choice lasts longest wins (wait for it) $5. The excitement couldn't be cut with a machete.

I keep waiting for a Criminals vs. Cripples season.

flaming yawn
01-22-2014, 02:37 PM
fat and old...I'm in!

twickster
01-22-2014, 04:52 PM
No returnees and no Redemption Island? I'll check it out. (Colton earned the show a complete boycott from me last season)

Ethilrist
01-22-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm wondering whether they're going to make some profound difference in the way they give out clues to the hidden immunity idol, seeing as how most of them got burned up because people didn't want to be a target, and then the guy who found two of them never got a clue at all... "This is a clue to finding a HII, which will only help you if you SHUT UP ABOUT IT AND DON'T TELL ANYBODY."

Fear Itself
01-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Some highlights from the contestant bios:Morgan McLeod
Tribe: Beauty
Current Residence: San Jose, Calif.
Why I'm on Survivor: The chance to experience a once-in-a-lifetime journey and to show everyone that just because I have huge boobs and a pretty face does not mean I am dumb, it just means I look better when I am winning. Alexis Maxwell
Current Residence: Addison, Ill.
Why I'll ''Survive'':... I will also use sex appeal and flirting as a means of disguising my intelligence. Jefra Bland
Current Residence: Campbellsville, Ky.
Why I'm on Survivor: ... Also, to prove that pageant girls aren't just cute faces, we are also smart.

enalzi
01-22-2014, 05:45 PM
No returnees and no Redemption Island? I'll check it out. (Colton earned the show a complete boycott from me last season)

Same here. I'll probably make a return for this season. Although the fact that it's not on Hulu makes it a pain to watch for me.

Rick Kitchen
01-22-2014, 06:01 PM
My favorite is the model/nuclear engineer. I'm rooting for her till I have a reason not to.

DrDeth
01-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Sounds fun. No returnees- I like that. Note that an occasional Faves show isn;t fun, but not always.

Ethilrist
01-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Same here. I'll probably make a return for this season. Although the fact that it's not on Hulu makes it a pain to watch for me.

They always have the full season up on CBS.com.

I see the Beauties are all going to try to out-smart each other.

Probably why they didn't make the Brains team...

flaming yawn
01-22-2014, 06:40 PM
wasnt there a rocket scientist once who was cute to boot? --- see what I did there ... i crack myself up.

Foggy
01-22-2014, 06:43 PM
I've never watch Survivor, have they ever done a show in cold climate?

John Mace
01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
All new players, No Redemption Island.

Woo-hoo!! It's about time.

I don't care about the other gimmick. I just don't like retreads, and I don't like RI.

Zeldar
01-22-2014, 06:48 PM

There have been a few that were so rainy (almost every episode was in the rain or just after it) that the folks were shivering and barely able to function. Damn near useless.

silenus
01-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Woo-hoo!! It's about time.

Probst went on record as saying "We listen to our viewers." Everybody bitched about RI, everybody semi-bitched about returning players, fucking everybody including the Pope bitched about that little bitch Colton coming back. So we finally get a season of newbies, with no safety net, and a new division of tribes.

Ethilrist
01-22-2014, 07:07 PM
There have been a few that were so rainy (almost every episode was in the rain or just after it) that the folks were shivering and barely able to function. Damn near useless.

Yep. No food plus shivering equals zero energy to spare for gathering food or finding dry firewood. It wasn't even that cold; they were still in the tropics, it was maybe 65, 70 degrees, but with no real shelter and no waterproof clothing, it just sucked. They've figured out that they need to park these people someplace which is pretty darn survivable... in the Outback season, they almost starved, so the next season, fruit was practically falling out of the trees into camp.

Foggy
01-22-2014, 07:07 PM

Never mind, I found a list of locations. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_%28U.S._TV_series%29#Locations)

I might watch "Survivor: Barrow, Alaska":p

jayjay
01-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Stunt casting, however, is still in play. NBA player (and Dennis Rodman North Korean Diplomatic Outreach Exhibitionary Basketball Team member) Cliff Robinson is on this year, as well as Florida Marlins owner David Samson.

The big cast photo is kind of hilarious. "Can YOU find the former NBA player?"

silenus
01-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Forget the NBA player. Find the contestant who is already a millionaire.

Zeldar
01-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Forget the NBA player. Find the contestant who is already a millionaire.

Not just that: find the new Colton! :D

enalzi
01-23-2014, 09:29 AM
They always have the full season up on CBS.com.

Yeah, but I'd much rather watch on my TV through my XBox than on my computer.

silenus
01-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Not just that: find the new Colton! :D

He's from Chicago, so he's probably alright. :p

It's going to be interesting to see how they structure the challenges to avoid giving an undue advantage to one team over the others.

Lamar Mundane
01-23-2014, 05:13 PM
I think they're trying to sneak Brandon Hantz back in by claiming he is the President of the Miami Marlins baseball team.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/photos/1001117/survivor-cagayan-cast/48459/

silenus
01-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Samson's not nearly that ugly!

magnusblitz
01-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Hmm, the "brawn" tribe doesn't look that brawny to me, especially the ladies. I was hoping for at least one female weightlifter.

I'd wager on the black female attorney as being the first one voted out (I mean, it worked for Francesca).

notfrommensa
02-26-2014, 09:14 AM
BUMP

Survivor Season Premiere. 2 hours worth!

Ethilrist
02-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Hmm, the "brawn" tribe doesn't look that brawny to me, especially the ladies. I was hoping for at least one female weightlifter.

I'd wager on the black female attorney as being the first one voted out (I mean, it worked for Francesca).

They haven't had much luck with serious weightlifters; they're too used to many hearty meals and a good night's rest and tend to wither rapidly, as opposed to ex-military, cops & firemen.

Lamar Mundane
02-26-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm looking forward to this. I hated Redemption Island and it is gone. Three tribes is better than two, especially when it comes to the merge. I'm worried about the "Brains" tribe - being smart is not a quality that is rewarded in Survivor. Being clever and socially aware is. The two are not incompatible, but smarts alone aren't enough. I'm thinking of people like Parvati, Cirie, and Boston Rob. They are Survivor smart.

Lamar Mundane
02-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Also, every first episode of Survivor should be two hours, it allows you to somewhat get to know the cast before one of them is gone.

jayjay
02-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Is it just me, or was the person who got voted out in the second TC quite possibly the worst Survivor player ever? I don't think I've ever seen someone not only be BAD at the game, but try to make sure nobody else could actually play it the way it's played.

jimbuff314
02-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Me, I just want to see what people say about the 2nd tribal council. That was something. :confused:

etv78
02-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Lamar-The term you mean is Genre Savvy.

Lamar Mundane
02-26-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm not surprised at all by that result, even by the second bootee. Both of them have little in the way of social skills and display a complete inability to read a situation, and they made terrible decisions because of it.

J'Tia is going to regret the rice tossing really quickly. No food and one more swimming challenge and she may quit.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen, where one team is incredibly weak and falls apart. It's going to be just like any other Survivor soon. Can't say I'm the least bit surprised, though.

StarvingButStrong
02-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Is there some sort of law that black people can't swim? J'Tia was a fail, and both other teams sat out black players.

Lamar Mundane
02-26-2014, 10:39 PM
One season had a black guy who was a water polo player and the fastest swimmer on the show. Gervace taught himself to swim for last season, but he was horrible in season one.

magnusblitz
02-27-2014, 12:38 AM
I called the first vote as soon as the Brains lost, though my fellow watchers thought it would J'Tia for being so bossy. Just got the vibe they didn't like David (and he was older, and seemed to be a bit of a physical liability). I wonder if they even knew he was the Marlins' president?

Definitely surprised as the second vote, though - but I believe it was absolutely the right one. I thought the combination of sucking at the puzzle and pulling the moronic move of dumping all the rice out would be enough, but Garrett seemed to just give up so easily. I feel kinda bad for the Brains tribe, since they're losing early and likely on their way to getting drummed out early. Then again, the last tribe to get stuff early in a 3-way tribal set up ended up winning in the end (and sending a returnee to the next All-Star season). That said, I don't think anyone except Spencer has a chance to go far. Kass at least has half a brain, but, she doesn't seem to have the skills necessary to win the game (doesn't look like she'll be that useful in challenges, too honest).

Is there some sort of law that black people can't swim? J'Tia was a fail, and both other teams sat out black players.

I hate to bring up the "black people can't swim" stereotype, but apparently it's largely true. This article (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11172054) quotes a survey that 70% of blacks self-reported no or low ability to swim, as opposed to 58% of Hispanics and 42% of Whites.

Rick Kitchen
02-27-2014, 01:02 AM
God Garrett was just an idiot.

kiz
02-27-2014, 06:29 AM
I loved how Tara (?) called Garrett out on the "no conversations" thing. WTF was he thinking?

The other thing, too...how anyone can start whining so early about "how tough it is" is beyond me. It's called Survivor for a reason, DUH.

I wasn't impressed with Dave. Moral: Be the big boss right off the bat and you're guaranteed a blindside. Unless you're Boston Rob, that is.

eenerms
02-27-2014, 07:10 AM
I don't get why there went a bigger back lash when that woman acted crazy and dumped the rice like When a Brandon did:confused:

ekweizn
02-27-2014, 08:06 AM
I don't get why there went a bigger back lash when that woman acted crazy and dumped the rice like When a Brandon did:confused:

Because she's a loyal vote. Tasha and Kass have to know that their tribe is in trouble and are banking on getting distributed to the other tribes.

I used to think that telling someone you had an immunity idol was always the wrong play, but I think if Garrett had told Tasha or Kass about it, he would have been able to keep it, and J'Tia would have gone home.

In retrospect, Spencer got totally screwed in the first 5 minutes of the game by David targeting Garrett. I hope that he starts digging immediately for the (presumably rehidden) idol.

CarnalK
02-27-2014, 08:33 AM
I hope that he starts digging immediately for the (presumably rehidden) idol.

Has it happened in the past that an immunity idol gets re-hidden if it's left behind at camp? I know it has if it gets used early, but this is different...

Immediately after the rice got burned I was thinking it would have been brilliant if J'Tia had just hidden most of the rice but poured enough onto the fire to make it look like she burned it all. She could then secretly tell the other girls it was an act so the guys would think she was an easy vote. As it turns out, she is crazy and now is crazy with no rice to eat. lol.

Drum God
02-27-2014, 08:53 AM
I was surprised at how Garrett simply cannot read people or a situation. It seems to me that those would be skills that a successful poker player would have. Of course, nothing says he is a successful poker player.

The brains tribe seems to have fallen into the trap that often afflicts those who are pretty smart: they didn't study. They seem quite clueless as to how the game is actually played. It is as if they figured their superior intellect will carry the day. They may be intelligent, but they're rather dumb. Why would anyone think that a nuclear engineer's skills would translate into knowing how to build a bamboo shelter?

silenus
02-27-2014, 08:58 AM
IMO, David screwed himself instantly by not answering Probst's question correctly. When Jeff asked him why he picked Garrett, he should have answered "Well, he 's smart and strong, and I figure you are going to have the three people selected do a challenge of some sort for Reward, and Garrett's our best shot at winning that Reward." Total BS, but it would have cemented Garrett as an ally and kept the target off David's back.

I like any first episode that has a hot woman splashing around in her bra and panties. I'm easy to please that way. :D

twickster
02-27-2014, 09:08 AM
This is going to be a good season.

And seriously, had Garrett ever seen even a single episode of the show before going on it?

jayjay
02-27-2014, 09:15 AM
The bodybuilder types always have a hard time. They generally have a nutritional regimen they're on that requires a lot more food than they're ever going to get on Survivor, barring reward feasts. Their muscle mass and the increased metabolism it causes demands more nutrition than they're ever going to see on the beach. Especially the ones who show up all cut. I have no idea what makes them think that near-zero body fat is a good idea going into 39 days of near-starvation and intense physical activity.

jsc1953
02-27-2014, 10:45 AM
The bodybuilder types always have a hard time. They generally have a nutritional regimen they're on that requires a lot more food than they're ever going to get on Survivor, barring reward feasts. Their muscle mass and the increased metabolism it causes demands more nutrition than they're ever going to see on the beach. Especially the ones who show up all cut. I have no idea what makes them think that near-zero body fat is a good idea going into 39 days of near-starvation and intense physical activity.

Good thing, then, that Cliff foresaw this eventuality and didn't stay in NBA shape. :)

Garrett may go into the Survivor Hall of Fame as Worst Player Ever, with bonus points for getting the boot with a HII in his pocket. I honestly believe that Kass and Tasha went to TC with every intention of voting for T'Jia, but spontaneously flipped once he started talking.

jayjay
02-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Good thing, then, that Cliff foresaw this eventuality and didn't stay in NBA shape. :)

I'm thinking more Tony as the opposite of Garrett on this. He's got muscles (man, does he have muscles!) but he's also got a good layer of body fat over them. You can't see his abs. This is a good thing on Survivor. He has the strength of the muscles but isn't going to feel like he's on Day 38 on Day 3 as far as energy and hunger goes.

Ellis Dee
02-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Loving the structure of this season. Three tribes is the only way to legitimize only having one challenge per episode. First place gets immunity and reward, second gets just immunity, loser goes to tribal council. That appeals to me. Not a huge fan of the token reward for second place, but the basic premise is solid.

Love having a beauty tribe to ogle at and objectify. They finally had a real reason to cast a bunch of LA models! Speaking of which, I really like how they divided up the tribes: Whichever trait was more relevant for the way they earn their living. Very good. It makes sense while also allowing them to cast hotties on the non-hottie tribe and smart people on the non-brains tribe, etc...

I couldn't have been happier to see the nerds crash and burn in both challenges. Having trouble deciding which humiliation was more satisfying. They were both just so good. For most of the first two episodes I hated every nerd, but that final tribal council got me on board with Spencer. Paraphrasing: "Yes, Jeff, that's exactly what he just said." Ha!

Is there some sort of law that black people can't swim? J'Tia was a fail, and both other teams sat out black players.That was hysterical. There is truth in the stereotype, but we need a new stereotype to point out the true stupidity: Black people who apply to be on Survivor don't know how to swim?! That's worse than signing up for The Amazing Race without knowing how to drive stick.

No fat people or old people. They lost me years ago.Ugh, that would be terrible. I can go to the mall to watch fat and/or old people.

Moonlitherial
02-27-2014, 12:57 PM
While there are a lot of people on the tribes with two of the three attributes so far Sarah is the standout for me with all three. She's tough, pulling her weight on the brawn tribe, definitely pretty and smart enough to kill in both the puzzle portions of the challenges. Her social game seems okay so far, I'm a little concerned about the preview of Tony confessing his profession as a way to ally with her but as long as she doesn't cut off the rest of her tribe and/or they keep winning I have high hopes for her.

I'm also a fan of the Cliff/Woo duo. Friendly, genuinely nice guys with a lot of skills.

The beauty tribe is impressing so far with their abilities and their ability to work together. Not a lot of slacking off and they were the only tribe to get fire on their own. Bit of a collapse on either working together, swimming or brute strength in the second challenge but thanks to the absolute failure of brains they were saved.

Brains is suffering from the inability to accept that someone should lead even though they all think they're the smartest. Well that and J'Tia's insanity and horrendous puzzle completion ability and her failure of a shelter design. The only thing that saved her was the girls knowing they would never get Spencer to flip on Garrett so they had to get him out now. Helped that he ran his mouth off SO badly in tribal that anyone wavering was convinced he had to go. I'm hoping that Spencer soon finds he's not on the bottom J'Tia is.

Moonchild
02-27-2014, 01:26 PM
No wonder the Miami Marlins suck.

Is it possible we can keep individual threads for each episode? Last season we had a seasonal (i.e. one big) thread and the posts were way down. For me -- and I would not likely be on the Brain Tribe by any stretch of the imagination* -- Lordy, it made my head hurt trying to find where the posts for each new week started. Evidence suggests other Dopers felt the same way.

*Because I'm so brawny and beautiful. :D

Moonchild
02-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Garrett, you got voted off Survivor on the same episode when another Suvrvivor:

-- was domineering and lazy around camp;
-- screwed up your shelter;
-- blew up your immunity challenge;
-- and dumped out all of your food?

That's no easy feat!

LilyoftheField
02-27-2014, 01:35 PM

Well, Brandon was just doing it to throw a monkey wrench into the works with no rational reason otherwise. J'Tia, on the other hand felt she had nothing to lose - it was to be her final 'fuck you all!' to the tribe that was ousting her. I'm sure no one was more surprised than she was when she survived tribal council!

silenus
02-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Did everybody also notice that the Beauty tribe co-operated to make fire? Two guys providing the friction, others the tinder and the cultivation. No chance of the Brains thinking of that!

jayjay
02-27-2014, 01:39 PM
This was a very meta-game kick. I don't think Garrett would have been dumped if he hadn't basically tried to change the rules of the game. "We're all going to sit here until TC so we can't have any side-conversations!" That's not Survivor, you dumb galoot! I was right with Tasha when she went on her rant about it. If you're going to be a paranoid asshole, the way to do it is to go tearing around trying to be everywhere at once, not to try to force everyone else to sit around where you are at all times.

No, they can't really trust J'tia, personally. But they can't trust Garrett's GAME, such as he has one.

CarnalK
02-27-2014, 02:08 PM
The thing is, if he had just started the group conversation and got everybody to spill their feelings that could have worked. But instead he had to try and force it so obviously, right up to following the girls around.

jayjay
02-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Not to mention putting his tentative bottom ally on the spot, about as subtly as a brick. The way he was almost badgering Kass to throw her opinion into the ring sounded more like someone interrogating a tribemember whom they suspect of planning to vote THEM out rather than someone trying to draw out support from an alliance member.

Then, of course, he definitively outs the alliance of 3 at TC because he can't speak strategically, even if he somehow has reserves of strategic THINKING we can't see.

jsc1953
02-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Speaking of paranoid assholes....what is going on in Tony's head? He thinks he would be a huge disadvantage to reveal he's a cop (and when one of his tribemates has already done so?) I think he's over-estimating the opinion people have of cops.

And building a "spy shack" to spy on his own tribe? Holy crap. Although I will be truly stunned if it ever gets put to use.

sachertorte
02-27-2014, 02:39 PM
I don't watch survivor, but for some reason I like to read the survivor thread.

I was pleased to see that "Asian Dude" is not on the Brainy team. But then I read further down "Martial Arts Instructor." Sigh.

Jack Burden
02-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Huge props to the editors on this episode:
1. Morgan doing her jiggly walk while telling tribe mates she lives in silicon valley.
2. Tony making bizarre sex sounds and gestures while searching for the underwater idol; wife and I and older kids in fits of laughter while 11yo is asking what's so funny.
3. Not giving away the twist at second TC. Sure Gordon made their job easy on this one, but even going to the vote I thought J'Tia was a goner.

Rick Kitchen
02-27-2014, 06:39 PM
This is going to be a good season.

And seriously, had Garrett ever seen even a single episode of the show before going on it?

He claims to have spent 2000 hours studying Survivor.

Wheelz
02-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Best line of the night: "I don't know what criteria they used to determine 'brains.' I'd like to see the data."

Yes, Garrett was a terrible player, but then again, having a crazy person on your tribe is never good. Plus, J'Tia is weak physically. I've started to like Kass, but her best move would have been to stick with the Garrett/Spencer alliance. It was the lesser of two evils, anyway. I think the first two votes have ensured that the Brains tribe will never win a single challenge.

John Mace
02-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Best line of the night: "I don't know what criteria they used to determine 'brains.' I'd like to see the data."

Yes, Garrett was a terrible player, but then again, having a crazy person on your tribe is never good. Plus, J'Tia is weak physically. I've started to like Kass, but her best move would have been to stick with the Garrett/Spencer alliance. It was the lesser of two evils, anyway. I think the first two votes have ensured that the Brains tribe will never win a single challenge.

Well, the next IC might involve solving differential equations, so they can hope for that!

Jas09
02-28-2014, 11:49 AM
He claims to have spent 2000 hours studying Survivor.That is mind-boggling. That was some of the worst Survivor playing I've ever seen, and we all know that's a pretty low bar. If he truly studied the show he should have known that you can't lock down an alliance that doesn't exist, that you should never make it clear who is on the bottom of your alliance, that you should NEVER leave your idol at camp, and (perhaps most importantly) that final-5 is a time when your propensity to play the idol should be the highest (meaning if you have any suspicion WHATSOEVER that you will receive any votes at all you should play it - the risk is too high if you don't).
I've started to like Kass, but her best move would have been to stick with the Garrett/Spencer alliance. It was the lesser of two evils, anyway. I think the first two votes have ensured that the Brains tribe will never win a single challenge.I disagree - I think Kass did the right thing (really the only option available to her). As you said, it should be obvious to her that the Brains tribe will lose way more often than they win. So her only hope is to survive the carnage to a tribe shuffle and hope that she ends up in a new tribe with folks that will align with her. I think both Tasha and J'Tia are significantly more likely to stick with her after a shuffle than Garrett and Spencer are (although Spencer might, I think Garrett pretty clearly had no real bond with her - the calling out after the challenge made that clear). Obviously if there is no shuffle then she is screwed in the TC after next, but that was true either way I think. And if she makes it to the end, she will need a goat or two. And J'Tia is the perfect goat.

araminty
02-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Once again, the person acting in an unpredictable way is the one voted off - I mean Garrett, trying to alter how the game is played. Just like Laura, Rupert's wife, last season.

The game has been around long enough now that people have expectations on how it's going to go. Messing up those expectations is dangerous.

Ethilrist
03-01-2014, 03:22 PM
I had to call bullshit on Probst saying something like "OMG, the Brains tribe is totally sucking at a violently physical challenge! Inconceivable!"

The hell were you expecting, Jeff?

And then they said the average IQ on the BRAINS tribe is 130? Well, the way they're playing, it seems about right. I can't help but think that the other tribes might be close to that...

CarnalK
03-01-2014, 03:46 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IQ_distribution.svg

And then they said the average IQ on the BRAINS tribe is 130? Well, the way they're playing, it seems about right. I can't help but think that the other tribes might be close to that...

130 is the high end of the curve. You think they were going to get 6 super geniuses?

sohvan
03-01-2014, 04:03 PM
They didn't specifically recruit for brains. They came up with the theme of the season after they had already selected their 18 players. So brains team is just the people who they deemed the smartest from the group of contestants. Considering the team, I wouldn't be surprised if they chose the people who fit in well in Brawns and Beauty, and the final tribe were the leftovers.

CarnalK
03-01-2014, 04:35 PM
They didn't specifically recruit for brains. They came up with the theme of the season after they had already selected their 18 players. So brains team is just the people who they deemed the smartest from the group of contestants. Considering the team, I wouldn't be surprised if they chose the people who fit in well in Brawns and Beauty, and the final tribe were the leftovers.

Are you stating that as fact?

As an aside, why the heck did purple pants social worker put on "beauty"?

sohvan
03-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Are you stating that as fact?

Probst mentioned in an interview that they had the cast first, and came up with the division later. Mentioned here (tvguide) (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Jeff-Probst-Survivor-Cagayan-Brawn-Brains-Beauty-1078235.aspx) for example.

The decision to divide the players as such was made after the cast of Survivor: Cagayan had already been selected and producers noticed that most fell neatly into categories

Polerius
03-03-2014, 12:13 AM
-- screwed up your shelter;
-- blew up your immunity challenge;
-- and dumped out all of your food?

Given that JTia did all of that, any other tribe member would have had to do something truly horrendous, like eat a live baby in front of them, in order to be voted out, if this was a sane tribe.

Yes, Garrett was a monumental moron, but what he did pales in comparison with what JTia did to them.

All of them are morons, except Spencer.

Also, I bet $1000 that JTia is as much a "nuclear engineer" as I am a Rabi. I'll see what I can find online about this and report back here if I find anything, but I'll be surprised if she truly is working as a nuclear engineer, given her performance and behavior.

Polerius
03-03-2014, 12:21 AM
JTia is as much a "nuclear engineer" as I am a Rabi. I'll see what I can find online about this and report back here if I find anything, but I'll be surprised if she truly is working as a nuclear engineer, given her performance and behavior.
Well, I'll be darned.

Based on her LinkedIn profile (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/j-tia-taylor/29/961/331)
J'Tia Patrice Taylor holds a Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.
Current: Technical Nonproliferation Specialist at Argonne National Laboratory

DrDeth
03-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Well, I'll be darned.

Based on her LinkedIn profile (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/j-tia-taylor/29/961/331)

That's...kinda scary. :eek:

muldoonthief
03-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Well, I'll be darned.

Her undergrad is in Imaginary Engineering, which explains a lot, including her fantastic "balance the floor on 3" diameter bamboo pilings" architecture.

Florida State University
B.S., Industrial Engineering
Activities and Societies: Student Senate, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Tau Beta Pi

RikWriter
03-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Florida State huh? That explains it.

Ethilrist
03-03-2014, 03:58 PM
I just hope somebody asks, "Okay, nuclear engineer, what are we going to do for food?"

muldoonthief
03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
There was a LOT of salvageable rice around the fire. Yeah, it had been on the ground, but (a) most of it was in large piles, so 90% of the pile was clean, and (b) when you're starving, a little sand in your rice won't kill you.

twickster
03-03-2014, 10:34 PM
and c) rice is completely washable.

Ibn Warraq
03-04-2014, 01:09 AM
I know the theme for this season is supposed be "beauty, brawn, brains" but after that train wreck of an opening episode, I think it should be called "beauty, brawn, buffoons".

Seriously, I think J'tia had to have about the worst opening six days of just about any contestant. She was bossy, lazy, got on everyone's nerves, completely choked on the challenge, blew a huge lead and in doing so snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, proved to be an emotionally unstable wreck and, to top it all off, threw out all their food.

And yet she still didn't get voted off!!!????:smack:

And had I been Tasha, I would have saved her.

That's how bad the situation is for those clowns.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.