PDA

View Full Version : Ranting and raving about Big Trouble in Little China

YogSothoth
01-22-2014, 03:54 PM
This was one of my favorite movies growing up. I got the DVD recently and have watched it front to back twice and with the commentaries. I find that I can appreciate it now a lot more than when I was a kid, where I simply liked the supernatural aspect of it and the martial arts. For those of you who also liked the film, I noticed a few things that stood out to me on careful review that confused me.

How did Lo Pan find out about Miao Yin (the girl with the green eyes)?

In the beginning of the movie, Jack (Kurt Russell) and his friend Wang go to pick up Wang's fiancee from the airport. But the Lords of Death, the evil red/black clad gang in Chinatown is waiting there to kidnap her. Its established later that the LOD is run by the Wing Kong, who serve Lo Pan and his flunkies. But how did they know about this girl with the green eyes specifically? Chinese girls with green eyes are rare, but as Lo Pan later tries to do with Gracie (Kim Catrall), he didn't need a green eye Chinese girl to break the curse, any green eye girl would do. How is it that he's waited a thousand some odd years when Gracie has been practicing law in Chinatown for a decade and didn't get noticed?

And seeing that one gang member with the white sunglasses that mimicked the squinty Asian eyes seem really racist, in retrospect. Its hilarious, I don't know how he sees anything with that, but it seems racist. But hilarious

In the alley fight, why did the 3 Storms attack the Wing Kong?

And don't try to tell me they didn't. When they first appeared during the melee, both the Chang Sing (the good gang clad in yellow/black) and the Wing Kong were taken back and scared. When Jack and Wang run by the fight, I could distinctly see some guys in red fighting as well. Even if they weren't and its just bad quality video, it still makes no sense the Wing Kong were just as scared of the Storms as the Chang Sing.

Speaking of the alley fight, why did Lo Pan make an appearance there? He's got the girl already by this point, why even appear in public to get run over by Jack?

Why were the storms suddenly so vulnerable?

In the beginning of the alley fight, the Storms are practically invincible. They tank a bunch of bullets from the Chang Sing like they were nothing. But later, the Storms get killed by: a sword, a falling statue, and suicide bomb. My theory is that once Lo Pan became flesh and blood, his supernatural servants lost some of that power. Or that this is a comedy film and we shouldn't look too much into things and compare the force in joules of bullets vs. a statue light enough that a 70 year old man can move it and drop it through a hole.

WTF was that sasquatch thing?

Lo Pan obviously has the Storms in his command, but was he doing genetic experiments too? They never explained that thing at all and he gets away at the end of the movie.

How does Egg Shen knows Lo Pan?

During their battle, Lo Pan makes some comment about Egg Shen and Egg obviously knows the lore of Lo Pan. How do they know each other? Is Egg also a thousand year old wizard trying to defeat Lo Pan?

Why did Lo Pan keep Jack and Wang alive?

When they are captured by Lo Pan's flunkies, they are tied to wheelchairs and put in this round metal room. Jack asks if they are in hell and Wang replies that if Lo Pan wanted them dead, they'd be dead already. But there is no conceivable reason why Lo Pan would keep them alive at that point. He's already got both girls with green eyes and his plans to marry them can continue with or without the guys. Why keep them alive at that point?

Why didnt he kiss her goodbye?

At the end, when Jack is leaving, Gracie's friend the reporter says "Aren't you even going to kiss her goodbye?". I listened to the commentaries and they actually talk about why, but I still can't really figure it out. Its not like kissing her would mean anything other than a kiss, so why not go for it. Besides:

Kim Catrall was really hot.

I mean just unbelievably hot. Her face was perfect, she had a sexy, slender neck, a beauty spot on her chin, and gorgeous "Come hither" eyes. The fuck is wrong with you Jack??

Maybe its because I'm Chinese, well, probably that is the reason why, but I loved this movie. Partly its because I figured out midway through the movie that the Asian guy is the hero and Jack is the sidekick. Even though Kurt Russell got top billing, its Wang that does most of the fighting, he kicks Rain's ass, and he's the one who does the heroic things purposefully instead of accidentally stumbling on to them. And he even gets a girl in the movie! Ok, not THE girl, but A girl.

Though I'm glad they didn't make a crappy sequel to this that ruined the original, I'm also sad we don't get to see what happens to the gang after the movie's over. Maybe he goes back to Gracie after a number of years traveling, maybe they settle down. What happened to Margo's news story about all this? And did the authorities ever find what seemed to be a whole underground complex beneath that fake shipping company, complete with a temple with a glowing skull, a jail, and a Chinese palace?

PS: Please forgive the lateness of my reply

Amateur Barbarian
01-22-2014, 04:09 PM
I really think this is a movie you have to sit back and enjoy without engaging too much brain. I don't say that about many films - I like even my low-grade films to make sense and not be stupid. But BTILC is just so damned much fun that I can overlook small errors in logic and motivation.

Mrs. B. has a charm bracelet. One of the charms is a tiny crowbar, paired with a tiny piece of flexible cable. I gave her that one when she was finally learning to deal with assholes in her line of work instead of avoiding and placating them. Crowbar: Field of Dreams: "I'm going to take this crowbar, and beat you with it until you leave." Cable: BTILC: elevator shaft scene: "...yeah, it's real and I can touch it." That's how much I like the movie: I had a $400 charm made from it.

I love so many scenes and lines from the movie that it almost pains me every time Jack discovers the key, fires up the truck and then fumbles the line about "six point five on the Richter scale!" Well, he doesn't fumble it as much as the editor does.

GargoyleWB
01-22-2014, 04:44 PM
"It's all in the reflexes"

The genius of this movie, and what I think is the answer to many of your questions, is how Carpenter has a meta-theme of overturning various hero and action movie tropes. Bad guys pontificating, beautiful women in bondage, wise old wizards. It was especially ahead of its time by dismantling the Hong Kong kung fu genre before it was little more than a small cult niche in the west.

The getting captured and escaping part (when tied to the wheelchair) is especially brilliant. I'm always in tears when Jack rolls himself to easy safety, slowly gets out, then shoves back the wheelchair into the pit.

--In the alley fight, why did the 3 Storms attack the Wing Kong?--

I think the 'red headbands' were just the pawns of Lo Pan that he used to get day-to-day evil done in the mortal world. When the Storms were called in, they were there to assert their power as well as remind the pawns who the real power was.

--he didn't need a green eye Chinese girl to break the curse, any green eye girl would do.--

I don't think Lo Pan really expected it to work with a white girl, and was surprised that his own arrogant risk paid off. He was in desperate retreat mode at this point, and may have had his own epiphany or doubt about how literal the prophecy or magic rules had to be.

--Why didnt he kiss her goodbye?--

What better way for the ultimate manly lone-wolf drifter hero to leave, than with a pithy wisecrack and heartbroken ladies. In his own mind, he thought he was coming across like Clint Eastwood, when the rest of the room was thinking "yes, he really is that stupid.' I also think it was a deliberate counterpoint to the earlier scenes where he was running around with smeared lipstick on his face.

As for the rest of your questions, "You were not brought upon this world to 'get it', Mr. YogSosoth"

Ethilrist
01-22-2014, 04:50 PM
"This really pisses me off to no end!"

One of my favorite lines to use in daily life.

galen ubal
01-22-2014, 04:52 PM
Something to remember about Big Trouble - the main character (Jack Burton) is not really the Hero; he's the Comic Sidekick (speaking as character types). Except for the climax, he's bumbling about, not a clue in the world, and way in over his head. Everything that he does, and everything that happens to him, is the sort of thing that happens to (say) C-3PO, etc.

Terr
01-22-2014, 04:59 PM
My favorite line (well two lines) is:

"It will never come out again!"
"What? What will never come out again?"

ftg
01-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Something to remember about Big Trouble - the main character (Jack Burton) is not really the Hero; he's the Comic Sidekick (speaking as character types). Except for the climax, he's bumbling about, not a clue in the world, and way in over his head. Everything that he does, and everything that happens to him, is the sort of thing that happens to (say) C-3PO, etc.

This is a common element in a lot of movies. What good was Luke in Empire? Indy in Raiders? etc.

As to Lo Pan knowing about Miao? Lo Pan's agents in Hong Kong (?) might have seen her at the airport there and alerted the boss. They might have even known about her for some time, just waiting for her to go to America.

phreesh
01-22-2014, 05:07 PM
I also don't have answers to your questions, but also love this movie.

It's so damn quotable and so damn fun. I think I'm going to watch it again tonight.

Push You Down
01-22-2014, 05:22 PM
This is a common element in a lot of movies. What good was Luke in Empire? Indy in Raiders? etc.

Galen's talking about something very different.
BTinLC isn't a situation like "Hero should have stayed home" like in Raiders.

Wang Chi is the hero archetype in Big Trouble in Little China. HIS girl gets kidnapped. He's the one with the skills and abilities. Jack is his witless sidekick. We just see the movie from his perspective --until the climax where he actually becomes the focal point and the hero.

Chimera
01-22-2014, 05:27 PM
As for the rest of your questions, "You were not brought upon this world to 'get it', Mr. YogSosoth"

People don't seem to say "I don't get it" very often anymore, but when they do, saying that line with the Lo Pan accent (and calling them 'Mr. Burton') is always fun.

Penfeather
01-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Smart, subversive, and a killer script, wonderfully delivered. My favourite scene is when they're trapped in the flooding vault:

"Two, three feet thick, I'll bet. Probably welded shut from the outside, and covered with brick by now!"

"Don't give up, Jack!"

"Oh, okay, I won't, Wang! Let's just *chew* our way outta here!"

Kurt Russell's manic exasperation just sells that last line.

TreacherousCretin
01-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Indeed!

Chefguy
01-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Kurt Russell is right up there at the top of my favorite actors list. The guy can sell a role, whether it's Captain Ron or Wyatt Earp (a role for which he should have at least been nominated for an Oscar or Golden Globe).

Amateur Barbarian
01-22-2014, 06:11 PM
...the main character (Jack Burton)...
Who?

Tamerlane
01-22-2014, 06:12 PM

My take has always been it was just dumb luck.

The gangbangers at the airport were grabbing random Asian girls coming over from China. Much like forced home break-ins in SF have traditionally been a purely Asian on Asian crime ( i.e. Asian gangs victimizing members of the Asian community ). They made a stab at Grace Law's bud, missed, grabbed Miao Yin instead and only later found they'd nabbed a green-eyed Chinese girl. This then slowly got communicated up the chain until Lo Pan heard about it and he immediately dispatched his three storms to fetch her from the whore house.

But how did they know about this girl with the green eyes specifically?

They didn't, see above.

How is it that he's waited a thousand some odd years when Gracie has been practicing law in Chinatown for a decade and didn't get noticed?

Who pays attention to anglos? Or maybe he figured it just wouldn't work with her. Maybe he's tried others before but they all were failures.

"There have been others, to be sure. There are always others, are there not? You seem to be one who knows the difficulties between men and women. How seldom it works out." ;)

epbrown01
01-22-2014, 06:16 PM
But how did they know about this girl with the green eyes specifically? Chinese girls with green eyes are rare, but as Lo Pan later tries to do with Gracie (Kim Catrall), he didn't need a green eye Chinese girl to break the curse, any green eye girl would do.

I think Catrall's character was supposed to be at least part Chinese.

Amateur Barbarian
01-22-2014, 06:23 PM
I think Catrall's character was supposed to be at least part Chinese.
This. It's never quite said, but her appearance (natural plus makeup) and name, "Lee," seem to indicate that she's supposed to have some Chinese ancestry. Chalk it up to another point lost in the whirlwind story.

Trust me. I can see things... now.

Lobohan
01-22-2014, 06:33 PM
As I recall, the curse is designed to make Lo Pan suffer. He's supposed to marry a girl with green eyes, that he really lusts for, and then kill her to appease the first sovereign emperor, he has to sacrifice her.

Lo Pan doesn't dig white chicks. Which isn't that hard to believe, since he grew up in what would be China.

He wanted Gracie Law so he could marry Mao Yin and sacrifice Law to fulfill the letter of the curse.

Thrasymachus
01-22-2014, 06:35 PM
OMG, someone started a thread about this movie!

Favorite growing up, still holds up today... My girlfriend had never heard of it so we watched it together last week.

And thanks to the invisible hand of the modern economic engine, you can buy a copy of the same shirt Jack wears (http://www.80stees.com/products/big-trouble-in-little-china-jack-burton-tank-top) in the movie:

I always loved the "six demon bag" - wind, fire, all that kind of thing! You see, depression & anxiety are feelings I struggle with often - so I sometimes cope by imagining that I drank one myself and am, for a time, invincible and capable. Egg Shen delivered those lines perfectly...

muldoonthief
01-22-2014, 07:09 PM
In terms of the street fight, I get the impression that the Wing Kong, or at least the street-fighter-level members of it, had no idea they were working for Lo Pan. And they certainly never had seen the Storms before. Remember Wang's line about Lo Pan? "We learn about all this stuff when we're kids. Then we grow up and pretend we don't believe it."

"Nothing or double Jack. Nothing or double."

I introduced this movie to my daughters over Christmas break. The nine and eleven year olds loved it. The thirteen year old claimed it was boring, but she didn't leave the room or even play with her phone until it was over. Since then, I've been trying to use "Sit tight, hold down the fort, and keep the home fires burning. If I'm not back by dawn, call the President." every time I leave the house.

Miller
01-22-2014, 07:12 PM

I don't think the kidnapping at the airport was part of any scheme by Lo Pan. I think that was an independent operation by the Lords of Death - kidnapping fresh-off-the-plane Chinese girls, and selling them to the brothel. The fact that one happened to have green eyes was accidental.

In the beginning of the movie, Jack (Kurt Russell) and his friend Wang go to pick up Wang's fiancee from the airport. But the Lords of Death, the evil red/black clad gang in Chinatown is waiting there to kidnap her. Its established later that the LOD is run by the Wing Kong, who serve Lo Pan and his flunkies. But how did they know about this girl with the green eyes specifically? Chinese girls with green eyes are rare, but as Lo Pan later tries to do with Gracie (Kim Catrall), he didn't need a green eye Chinese girl to break the curse, any green eye girl would do. How is it that he's waited a thousand some odd years when Gracie has been practicing law in Chinatown for a decade and didn't get noticed?

Apparently, not just any green eyed girl would do - there's that whole ritual thing where their eyes go all white and they float around holding swords improperly. So there's some other element they need besides just the eyes. I'm guessing that Lo Pan probably tried a bunch of white girls in his little ritual, and they kept failing, so he gave up on them, figuring only a proper Chinese girl would do. He is, after all, thousands of years old, and you know how racist some old people can be.

Speaking of the alley fight, why did Lo Pan make an appearance there? He's got the girl already by this point, why even appear in public to get run over by Jack?

Easiest answer here is that they flat don't give a shit which mortals are on their "team."

But, it's possible that it's retaliation for the kidnapping at the airport. This is pretty fanwanky, but bear with me.

The kidnapping at the airport wasn't orchestrated by Lo Pan. It's just a side gig the Lords of Death have going - kidnapping girls fresh off the airplane from China, and selling them to the brothels. It's pure chance that they happen to grab Miao Yin. They weren't targeting her specifically. The brothel itself isn't part of Lo Pan's criminal network. It belongs to an unnamed rival. That's why Lightning Guy blows the roof off the place and kills the madam when he takes Miao Yin, instead of just having her delivered to Lo Pan's front door.

Word gets out that the Jade Dragon has a green eyed Chinese girl, and reaches Lo Pan. He orders the raid on the brothel, and sends the three storms to teach the Lords a lesson about who they work for. Jack manages to walk into the middle of both of these.

In the beginning of the alley fight, the Storms are practically invincible. They tank a bunch of bullets from the Chang Sing like they were nothing. But later, the Storms get killed by: a sword, a falling statue, and suicide bomb. My theory is that once Lo Pan became flesh and blood, his supernatural servants lost some of that power.

I'm pretty sure that was all the effect of the magic potion Egg gave them right before the big fight. That's what gave Wang the ability to do all those impossible wuxia leaps when he was fighting the Storm.

A yaoguai (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoguai) maybe?

Lo Pan obviously has the Storms in his command, but was he doing genetic experiments too? They never explained that thing at all and he gets away at the end of the movie.

Nah, the BTiLC world just has demons and monsters in it.

During their battle, Lo Pan makes some comment about Egg Shen and Egg obviously knows the lore of Lo Pan. How do they know each other? Is Egg also a thousand year old wizard trying to defeat Lo Pan?

One of the charms of the movie is that it's basically about an American who stumbles into the last act of an epic story, and assumes that he's the star of the whole thing. There may be something profound about American-Chinese relations in that.

Anyway, Lo Pan and Egg Shen clearly have a history, and I suspect this movie isn't the first time Egg Shen has interfered in Lo Pan's schemes. How long back that enmity extends is open to question. It certainly would not be out of place in this movie for Egg to be a few centuries old himself, or he could be just as old as he appears, and has only been fighting Lo Pan for the last few decades. Maybe he learned about Lo Pan from his master, who also spent his life opposing him, and who learned about him from his master, and so on.

When they are captured by Lo Pan's flunkies, they are tied to wheelchairs and put in this round metal room. Jack asks if they are in hell and Wang replies that if Lo Pan wanted them dead, they'd be dead already. But there is no conceivable reason why Lo Pan would keep them alive at that point. He's already got both girls with green eyes and his plans to marry them can continue with or without the guys. Why keep them alive at that point?

Information about Egg Shen? Recreational torture? Snacks?

Why didn't he kiss her goodbye?

At the end, when Jack is leaving, Gracie's friend the reporter says "Aren't you even going to kiss her goodbye?". I listened to the commentaries and they actually talk about why, but I still can't really figure it out. Its not like kissing her would mean anything other than a kiss, so why not go for it. Besides:

Maybe he just doesn't like her all that much.

Though I'm glad they didn't make a crappy sequel to this that ruined the original, I'm also sad we don't get to see what happens to the gang after the movie's over. Maybe he goes back to Gracie after a number of years traveling, maybe they settle down. What happened to Margo's news story about all this? And did the authorities ever find what seemed to be a whole underground complex beneath that fake shipping company, complete with a temple with a glowing skull, a jail, and a Chinese palace?

I'm glad they didn't make a direct sequel, either, but as it happens, I caught a great movie on Netflix the other night that could very well take place in the same universe. It's a Korean action comedy called Woochi (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1274293/). Kung fu wizards fighting monsters on the streets of modern Seoul. I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Poysyn
01-22-2014, 07:48 PM
He didn't kiss her goodbye because it's wasn't goodbye!

Penfeather
01-22-2014, 08:47 PM
You just listen to the old Pork Chop Express here now and take his advice on a dark and stormy night when the lightning's crashin' and the thunder's rollin' and the rain's coming down in sheets thick as lead. Just remember what old Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right square in the eye and he says, 'Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.'

gaffa
01-22-2014, 09:05 PM
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye, and asks you if you paid your dues; you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail."

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Anyway, Lo Pan and Egg Shen clearly have a history, and I suspect this movie isn't the first time Egg Shen has interfered in Lo Pan's schemes.

"You never could beat me."

Snowboarder Bo
01-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Who?

"Jack Burton. Me."

Snowboarder Bo
01-22-2014, 09:16 PM
This. It's never quite said, but her appearance (natural plus makeup) and name, "Lee," seem to indicate that she's supposed to have some Chinese ancestry. Chalk it up to another point lost in the whirlwind story.

Trust me. I can see things... now.

Her name is Gracie Law, not Gracie Lee.

urban1a
01-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Timely thread. I just dropped by to say that I've watched it many times over the years and just watched it again yesterday.

Re: Lo Pan and Egg Shen, I got the impression that they were bitter enemies the last time Lo Pan was flesh. Lo Pan did make a comment about ''peasant' magic during their fight at the end.

Bob

Amateur Barbarian
01-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Her name is Gracie Law, not Gracie Lee.

I see things... all fuzzy...

j666
01-22-2014, 10:23 PM
I think the movie's second - no, third greatest strength is that it does not waste time carefully explaining details. It's an action movie; in-depth back-story is not necessary, when a couple of throw away lines are enough to give you the gist of it. The movie keeps its prioritizes straight and maintains internal consistency, and that's enough*.

Comedy action, in my opinion, is very difficult, and this is one of the few movies that gets it right. I love this movie.

Grace was born in China, so she is Chinese, in that sense.

The Tooth
01-22-2014, 10:53 PM
"Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this earth to 'get it'."

Maybe its because I'm Chinese, well, probably that is the reason why, but I loved this movie.

Nah. I'm as white as white can be and I dig it too.

I mean just unbelievably hot.

That's one reason, sure, but another is that it's just a completely cool movie. It's a wonderful companion to The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, I believe Jack Burton to be a Blue Blaze Irregular because believing so makes the universe a better place (even if he'd make Perfect Tommy cry). Who cares why Wing Cong are fighting the three storms and stuff? Revel in a universe where that sort of thing happens in back alleys, and in which under Los Angeles flows the black blood of the Earth.

Jumpbass
01-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Not only do I enjoy this movie, but it's one of my all time favorite commentary tracks. John Carpenter and Kurt Russell basically just laugh their way through the whole movie, going off on tangents right and left and reminiscing about their careers together. Sounds like two old friends having a great visit.

Penfeather
01-22-2014, 11:46 PM
Revel in a universe where that sort of thing happens in back alleys, and in which under Los Angeles flows the black blood of the Earth.

Do you mean oil?

Face Intentionally Left Blank
01-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Do you mean oil?

I mean BLACK BLOOD OF THE EARTH!

The Tooth
01-23-2014, 12:25 AM
"Wait, what's that say?"
"'Hell of the boiling oil''"
"You're kidding."
"Yeah, I am. It says 'Keep Out'"

Every word of this movie is golden.

Face Intentionally Left Blank
01-23-2014, 01:00 AM
That's one reason, sure, but another is that it's just a completely cool movie. It's a wonderful companion to The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, I believe Jack Burton to be a Blue Blaze Irregular because believing so makes the universe a better place (even if he'd make Perfect Tommy cry).

W.D. Richter directed & produced "Buckaroo", and adapted "Big Trouble." You probably already knew, but you didn't mention it, and others might not know.

Zebra
01-23-2014, 01:59 AM
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.

muldoonthief
01-23-2014, 05:45 AM
I never drive faster than I can see.

Amateur Barbarian
01-23-2014, 07:55 AM
It's a wonderful companion to The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, I believe Jack Burton to be a Blue Blaze Irregular because believing so makes the universe a better place...
There have been claims that BTILC originated as a BB sequel and morphed into the film we saw. There have also been authoritative denials. But the shared DNA is obvious and fun. Clearly, what's needed is a third movie tying the two together. Yeah. That's what Jack Burton says...

TreacherousCretin
01-23-2014, 10:10 AM
"Jack Burton. Me."

This guy-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vjq5isqGQ

TreacherousCretin
01-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Kurt Russell is right up there at the top of my favorite actors list. The guy can sell a role, whether it's Captain Ron or Wyatt Earp (a role for which he should have at least been nominated for an Oscar or Golden Globe).

Yes.

Intergalactic Gladiator
01-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Just by coincidence I saw this movie on Netflix the other day. I'm trying to decide if it's appropriate for my 11 year old daughter and 6 year old son. There's some swearing, but other than that I think it may be OK.

muldoonthief
01-23-2014, 11:20 AM
One or two fucks, a bunch of shits, Lo Pan's demise, and Jack's trip to the Chinese brothel. They never explicitly say what a brothel is or what services Jack will be receiving for his money.

Chimera
01-23-2014, 11:38 AM
In the unedited version, there's a topless woman running down the hall when they're fleeing the Three Storms, and Jack reacts to her. I noticed it's not in the version I got from iTunes.

Chimera
01-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Oh, and I'm watching it on the bus, since this thread made me load it on my iPad.

Prof. Pepperwinkle
01-23-2014, 12:04 PM
I recently watched it with my 12 year old grandson. The language doesn't bother him, he goes to public school. He loved it wholeheartedly.

theR
01-23-2014, 12:35 PM
I have no problem saying "A wizard did it" instead of criticizing plot holes in a movie like this.

mlees
01-23-2014, 01:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiAbDkXDgg

"David Lo Pan Style" (Gangnam style parody)

Miller
01-23-2014, 01:07 PM
I have no problem saying "A wizard did it" instead of criticizing plot holes in a movie like this.

Admittedly, it's easier to do in a movie that features two actual wizards.

GargoyleWB
01-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Some other subtle little touches I love...

When they're all jumping into the water to escape the warehouse, everyone does their own completely awkward graceless "dive".

What does a centuries-old demi-god choose to line his ancient sacrificial altar with? Why, neon tubing of course!

Carpenter snuck in (http://www.eeggs.com/images/items/3115.full.jpg)a little lightning signature of his name, when Lightning is crushed in the hole

DocCathode
01-23-2014, 06:28 PM
I love love LOVE this movie!

Everybody knows that a few years ago they finally made action figures, right?

Re The Three Storms Killing The Wing Kong

I never had a problem with it. Maybe they screwed up and this was Lo Pan's way of punishing them. Maybe the 3 Storms have a deal with the Wing Kong 'When you really need us, we will kill your enemies. But, then we will kill a bunch of Wing Kong so that you never call on us frivolously'

Now, I better run. Run into the mystic night. Run until they takes us away. Take us away. Take us away.

Chimera
01-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Everybody knows that a few years ago they finally made action figures, right?

Holy fuck.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Trouble-In-Little-China/dp/B001AQDL8G

"1 new from $339.99"

Alfishius
05-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Please forgive the lateness of the reply. Hope I can help answer some of your questions.

I have no idea.

And don't try to tell me they didn't.

They didn't.

why did Lo Pan make an appearance there? He's got the girl already by this point, why even appear in public to get run over by Jack?

Dave likes to take a personal hand in things. Besides, considering what knuckleheads the Storms are, would you trust those three bumbling idiots to take care of any task successfully without close supervision?

Why were the storms suddenly so vulnerable?
My theory is that once Lo Pan became flesh and blood, his supernatural servants lost some of that power.

Sounds good to me.

Pete.

Lo Pan obviously has the Storms in his command, but was he doing genetic experiments too?

I assume Pete was one of the supernatural "monsters" living under Chinatown, like the "It will come out NO MORE!" thing.

Yup. "You've never been able to beat me, Egg Shen!" Lo Pan gloats. Egg is obviously hundreds of years old at least.

For shits and giggles, probably.

Why didnt he kiss her goodbye?
I mean just unbelievably hot. Her face was perfect, she had a sexy, slender neck, a beauty spot on her chin, and gorgeous "Come hither" eyes. The fuck is wrong with you Jack??

He didn't kiss her because he's mentally deficient.

Hope I helped answer some of your questions.

Chronos
05-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Alfishius, I'm not really seeing that you're contributing anything here. Bumping a four-year-dormant thread just to add a bunch of "I have no idea" isn't very productive.

Alfishius
06-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Alfishius, I'm not really seeing that you're contributing anything here. Bumping a four-year-dormant thread just to add a bunch of "I have no idea" isn't very productive.

Sorry, there's a time limit on replying? Honestly wasn't aware of that. Check my login history - I'm not here much, but I do like popping in from time to time...

I'm sort of bummed you think I contribute nothing. What about that great series of posts about the St. Elsewhere kid? sigh. :(

RickJay
06-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Indy drives the action in "Raiders of the Lost Ark," though. His pursuit of the Ark is what makes the story. Luke is less of a driver in "The Empire Strikes Back," but that's the middle act of a three act play; in the grand context of everything from Star Wars to Jedi he is a major driver of events.

Jack in "Big Trouble" is totally a bumbling sidekick. The action is driven by Wang Chi; logically, he is the protagonist. It's his quest to save Miao Yin and he's the true hero. The only oddity is that he's the one who kills Lo Pan.

Alfishius
06-22-2018, 05:34 AM
Jack Burton is the hero of Big Trouble. If he hadn't shown up with his rig, then everything would have happened the same way except Lo Pan would have won and Gracie wouldn't have been involved. Only Jack's presence makes the rescue of Mao Ying (who would still have been abducted at the airport) possible.

Not to mention that Jack actually defeats David Lo Pan. I can't believe we are even having this discussion. Jack Burton is the main character and hero, Wang Chi and Egg are his wacky sidekicks.

muldoonthief
06-22-2018, 08:28 AM
Jack Burton is the hero of Big Trouble. If he hadn't shown up with his rig, then everything would have happened the same way except Lo Pan would have won and Gracie wouldn't have been involved. Only Jack's presence makes the rescue of Mao Ying (who would still have been abducted at the airport) possible.

Not to mention that Jack actually defeats David Lo Pan. I can't believe we are even having this discussion. Jack Burton is the main character and hero, Wang Chi and Egg are his wacky sidekicks.

Is this gonna get ugly now, huh? I hope not.

The thing is, you could have easily made this movie with Wang Shi as the main/viewpoint character, without changing any of the action or dialog, and he would have been the hero. BTiLC is basically Star Wars IV but from Han's point of view.

Tamerlane
06-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Jack Burton is the hero of Big Trouble.

Not according to John Carpenter and Kurt Russell.

Chefguy
06-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Not according to John Carpenter and Kurt Russell.

Or most other people. Kurt Russell had the star power draw, but the film was not about his character.

Intergalactic Gladiator
06-22-2018, 12:01 PM
I am OK with coming back to this thread every four years or so to talk about how great this movie is.

Just by coincidence I saw this movie on Netflix the other day. I'm trying to decide if it's appropriate for my 11 year old daughter and 6 year old son. There's some swearing, but other than that I think it may be OK.

So FYI, my son (who is now less than a month away from 11) did see Big Trouble and he loved it. My daughter (16) has not. I explained the movie to The Boy by explaining that it's got kung fu, wizards, and the guy thinks he's the hero but he's really the goofy sidekick. I think that may have helped explain the movie but I don't know if that was even needed because he liked it anyway.

Amusingly enough, I have seen this movie so many times over the years and never realized that Jack was never intended to be the hero even if he is the POV character until I read about it on SDMB.

Sadly, this is not streaming on Netflix right now.

Tamerlane
06-22-2018, 01:12 PM
Kurt Russell had the star power draw, but the film was not about his character.

Well...he definitely is the protagonist. He is the leading character in the film and the movie is about his experience. So the film is about him.

It's just that he is not the leading character in the story. The story is about the hero Wang rescuing his beloved. Russell is the comic relief sidekick who just thinks everything is about him because he is an overconfident egotist. The only time Carpenter missteps in this is in the mistake of having Russell kill the main bad guy without Wang even being present in the scene, which gives the impression he is the hero. IMHO Carpenter kinda muffs his own theme( and he has explicitly laid out that theme in his audio commentary on the film )at the end.

But right up until that, it plays out pretty brilliantly. It really is kind of a clever way to approach a film of this type.

Sam Stone
06-24-2018, 01:38 PM
"Wait, what's that say?"
"'Hell of the boiling oil''"
"You're kidding."
"Yeah, I am. It says 'Keep Out'"

To be fair, those people have a lot of hells.

Alfishius
11-12-2018, 12:11 AM
Good point.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.