PDA

View Full Version : Captain and Tennille Divorcing!

G0sp3l
01-22-2014, 08:25 PM
:eek:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/01/22/captain-tennille-divorce/4785065/

I remember their song from my childhood. They've been married as long as I've been alive. Why bother now?

*I know people get divorced, not a real question.

Maserschmidt
01-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Maybe some sweet-talkin' girl came along, singing a song.

aceplace57
01-22-2014, 08:41 PM
I recall articles about them separating back in the 80's. i guess they got back together.

It can't be easy being married to someone you tour with.

LavenderBlue
01-22-2014, 08:48 PM
My parents were fans. I will never forgive them for Muskrat Love. Worst damned song ever recorded.

Jackmannii
01-22-2014, 08:53 PM
This is the worst thing to happen since Donny and Marie discovered crack cocaine.

G0sp3l
01-22-2014, 08:56 PM
next thing you know Tony Orlando and Dawn are going to break up

Bijou Drains
01-22-2014, 09:05 PM
Well unless things have changed, Tony Orlando cannot sing "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" because of a legal dispute. So they might as well break up.

gaffa
01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
I recall articles about them separating back in the 80's. i guess they got back together.

It can't be easy being married to someone you tour with.
Yeah, but the only thing worse is touring with someone you used to be married to. Just ask ABBA!

Foggy
01-22-2014, 09:32 PM
My parents were fans. I will never forgive them for Muskrat Love. Worst damned song ever recorded.

I loved that song (http://youtu.be/xBYV_7a0FQs).
Muskrat, Muskrat, candle light
Doin' the town and doin' it right in the evenin'
It's pretty pleasin'
Muskrat Suzie, Muskrat Sam
Do the jitterbug at a Muskrat Land
And they shimmy, Sam is so skinny

And they whirl and they twirl and they tango
Singin' and jinglin' a jangle
Float like the heavens above
Looks like Muskrat Love

running coach
01-22-2014, 09:32 PM
They must be having major problems.

Leaffan
01-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Generally speaking.

simster
01-22-2014, 09:42 PM
mustscratch love ....

love will not keep us together ....

Tom Tildrum
01-22-2014, 09:43 PM
I still fondly remember their TV show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073970/).

Bullitt
01-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Ugggh, great, thanks for mentioning that. Now I can't get that tune outta my head.

running coach
01-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Generally speaking.

Wonder how much they'll keep private.

Bullitt
01-22-2014, 09:44 PM
I loved that song (http://youtu.be/xBYV_7a0FQs).

Gag me.

california jobcase
01-22-2014, 09:45 PM
But they're not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame yet! Will they do a reunion if they're inducted?

Leaffan
01-22-2014, 09:51 PM
As much as they can warrant.

Bullitt
01-22-2014, 09:52 PM
Do that to me one more time.

simster
01-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Do that to me one more time.

Don't do that to me one more time -

Once was more than enough with a 'man' like you....

Little Nemo
01-22-2014, 09:56 PM

Generally speaking.

As much as they can warrant.Keep this up and there'll be some corporal punishment.

simster
01-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Keep this up and there'll be some corporal punishment.

That's Petty

installLSC
01-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Does this reinterpretation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyJ1psVIG30)make it worse or better?

Little Nemo
01-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Maybe some sweet-talkin' girl came along, singing a song.He tried not to mess around but at 71 he's not as strong as he used to be.

silenus
01-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Keep this up and there'll be some corporal punishment.

As a general rule, that's forbidden. Major consequences if violated.

MacCat
01-22-2014, 10:16 PM
They must be having major problems.Probably a colonel of truth there.

Ranger Jeff
01-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Yeah, but the only thing worse is touring with someone you used to be married to. Just ask ABBA!

I bet there was times Fleetwood and the McVies wanted to murder Lindsey and Stevie just to shut them up.

aceplace57
01-22-2014, 10:37 PM
I watched The Sonny and Cher show in high school and The Captain and Tennile Show. I recall enjoying their show more than Sonny and Chers. I can't recall specifics but the Tennile show had better guests and was just more fun. Jon Byner was just starting and very funny. Both shows were part of my weekly tv schedule.

Infovore
01-22-2014, 10:47 PM
I remember this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSt2RoZ8Ek4) from the Doctor Demento back in the '80s. I hope it helps.

gaffa
01-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Apparently Daryl Dragon is suffering from a very advanced case of Parkinson's, so they might be getting a divorce for insurance reasons.

Leaffan
01-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Apparently Daryl Dragon is suffering from a very advanced case of Parkinson's, so they might be getting a divorce for insurance reasons.
Help. I don't understand this, as a Canadian.

nearwildheaven
01-22-2014, 11:45 PM

At 71, he'd be covered under Medicare.

kaylasdad99
01-23-2014, 01:00 AM
MAN, these are some of the rankest puns that have ever been martialed together in a single thread.

Spoons
01-23-2014, 01:15 AM
Sad to hear the news.

I met Toni Tennille back in about 1980. She was a bright, attractive woman with an awesome voice, and we had a nice conversation. Somewhere, I still have an autographed photo.

Hypno-Toad
01-23-2014, 07:25 AM
I won't! I won't! I won't!

OttoDaFe
01-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Apparently Daryl Dragon is suffering from a very advanced case of Parkinson's, so they might be getting a divorce for insurance reasons.At 71, he'd be covered under Medicare.Not necessarily: Medicare only provides limited coverage for custodial care. The rules are somewhat arcane, but generally speaking coverage is limited to 100 days, and only when recovering from injury or illness a chronic condition such as Parkinson's would not be covered. After that the patient must rely on supplemental insurance, his or her own assets, or public assistance.

It's certainly not unheard of for couples to divorce in order to shield their assets and make one partner eligible for such assistance. I have no idea whatsoever whether that applies in this case, but I wouldn't be completely gobsmacked if it were a factor.

Tom Tildrum
01-23-2014, 08:12 AM

At 71, he'd be covered under Medicare.

Medicare doesn't pay for many long-term care (nursing home) costs. Medicaid will, but only after one's own assets have been exhausted. A spouse is allowed to exempt some portion of the couple's assets, but only enough to provide a relatively limited standard of living. By divorcing and separating their assets, Tennille may be able to shield more from the taxman.

ETA: Ninja'd!

Help. I don't understand this, as a Canadian.

Note that long-term care is not wholly publicly-funded in Canada. It varies by province, but out-of-pocket cost at a public facility can run $20-$35K, and what the patient actually pays typically depends on his or her income.

kayaker
01-23-2014, 08:17 AM
I'll bet she probably just got fed up about the stupid hat.

Siam Sam
01-23-2014, 08:17 AM
They're still alive? :confused:

GreenElf
01-23-2014, 08:23 AM
Maybe they felt somehow obligated to stay together all these years in light of their first hit song.

Shoeless
01-23-2014, 08:27 AM

Don't blame them. IIRC the song was actually written and originally recorded by America.

Chefguy
01-23-2014, 08:28 AM
So the captain has fired his first mate, eh?

Spiff
01-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Yeah, but the only thing worse is touring with someone you used to be married to. Just ask ABBA!Some counter-examples:

John Doe and Exene Cervenka of X
Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart of Eurythmics
Jack and Meg White of The White Stripes

All seem to be doing that touring with an ex-spouse thing quite well.

(Although The White Stripes are no longer together, the split AFAIK wasn't about the difficulties of touring with an ex-spouse, but more about how Jack was being limited by a below-average drummer.)

lost4life
01-23-2014, 09:22 AM
David Caruso on the topic (http://imgur.com/azQ8lTz):

Tom Tildrum
01-23-2014, 09:44 AM
They're still alive? :confused:

Apart from the Parkinson's, they both look quite good.

Tim R. Mortiss
01-23-2014, 09:45 AM
I wonder if she gets half of his voice-to-text software fortune?

G0sp3l
01-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Daryl Dragon is such an awesome rock name. It seems wasted on his style of music.

Dale Sams
01-23-2014, 10:33 AM

I know people lose money all the time, but the Captain and Tennille should have more money than God.

Dale Sams
01-23-2014, 10:35 AM
I still fondly remember their TV show (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073970/).

I just watched the first 30 seconds of a clip where Andy Griffith was trying rip off Rita Moreno, then Leonard Nimoy rode in on a toy horse to save the day.

At this point, my brain exploded.

astorian
01-23-2014, 11:23 AM
:eek:

They've been married as long as I've been alive. Why bother now?

Shortly before he went off the air, Johnny Carson told this joke to explain his retirement:

A 110 year old man who'd been married to a 108 year old woman for 90 years, went to court to file for a divorce.

The judge looked over the paperwork and said, "Well, Mr. Jones, everything seems to be in order. But I have to ask you, after 90 years of marriage, why break up NOW?"

The old man shrugged and said, "Enough is enough."

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
01-23-2014, 11:27 AM
They must be having major problems.Probably a kernel of truth to that.

Kenm
01-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Well unless things have changed, Tony Orlando cannot sing "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" because of a legal dispute. So they might as well break up.

How much would it cost me to make Knock Three Times illegal?

G0sp3l
01-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Shortly before he went off the air, Johnny Carson told this joke to explain his retirement:

A 110 year old man who'd been married to a 108 year old woman for 90 years, went to court to file for a divorce.

The judge looked over the paperwork and said, "Well, Mr. Jones, everything seems to be in order. But I have to ask you, after 90 years of marriage, why break up NOW?"

:D

Hypno-Toad
01-23-2014, 11:38 AM
I just watched the first 30 seconds of a clip where Andy Griffith was trying rip off Rita Moreno, then Leonard Nimoy rode in on a toy horse to save the day.

Yeah. I looked that up and now I'm cleaning brain off my monitor.

Bryan Ekers
01-23-2014, 12:25 PM
I didn't know they were married. Actually, aside from them being the wellspring of one of the most awesome Arrested Development jokes ever, I can't say I know much about them at all.

lost4life
01-23-2014, 01:37 PM
I didn't know they were married. Actually, aside from them being the wellspring of one of the most awesome Arrested Development jokes ever, I can't say I know much about them at all.

Tennille?
Yes, to not make eye contact.

gaffa
01-23-2014, 02:17 PM
I know people lose money all the time, but the Captain and Tennille should have more money than God.
When was their last hit? It doesn't last forever, and sales are constantly declining. I'd imagine their last substantial source of income would be playing concerts, and it doesn't sound like Daryl has been able to play music for quite some time. Reading the Wikipedia article, she's been the primary breadwinner since the 90s. While both are songwriters, their big hits were covers of songs by people like Neil Sedaka. The only one of their hits that they wrote was Do That to Me One More Time, and the real money in that is in other people covering it, and that happened only a handful of times.

From one of the reports, they just had to sell their vacation house.

StusBlues
01-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Eh. I've been at my current job (off and on) for almost 20 years. I doubt I'll make it one more. People change, needs change.

Doug K.
01-23-2014, 02:29 PM

I thought this would be the one that ended "We thought it would be better to wait until the children were dead."

Chefguy
01-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Daryl Dragon is such an awesome rock name. It seems wasted on his style of music.

There used to be a weekly music program back in the 50s/60s that was geared to expose elementary school children to classical music. The conductor was Carmen Dragon, Daryl's father. I remember it well.

johnpost
01-23-2014, 05:26 PM

sounds like real entertainment compared to American Pie.

Siam Sam
01-23-2014, 09:06 PM
-nm-. Redundant.

F. U. Shakespeare
01-23-2014, 09:08 PM
I Rear up and Command these un-Warrented puns to cease.

Seriously, condolences Mr. and Mrs. Dragon. They sound like good sorts, who've suffered some bad luck.

Mean Mr. Mustard
01-23-2014, 09:39 PM
My parents were fans. I will never forgive them for Muskrat Love.

Was this "Muskrat Love" some sort of twisted punishment you were subjected to as a child?

mmm

Siam Sam
01-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Was this "Muskrat Love" some sort of twisted punishment you were subjected to as a child?

mmm

I think we all were, although I was a teenager when it came out. Everyone's parents held it up as a shining example of good rock 'n' roll, not those awful Beatles or Rolling Stones. At least in West Texas.

nearwildheaven
01-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Maybe some sweet-talkin' girl came along, singing a song.

This is probably what everyone would be assuming if she was the one with Parkinson's.

BrassyPhrase
01-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Don't blame them. IIRC the song was actually written and originally recorded by America.

Minor nitpick. It was a small hit for America, but it was written and originally recorded by Willis Alan Ramsey. A Texan.

My god! My state can't catch a BREAK! :)

Doug K.
01-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Minor nitpick. It was a small hit for America, but it was written and originally recorded by Willis Alan Ramsey. A Texan.

My god! My state can't catch a BREAK! :)

No kidding. I've never lived there, but even I can see it. A while back I was in a grocery store and saw in the frozen section a box labeled:

New York
brand

the
Original Thick Slice
Texas Toast

pkbites
01-24-2014, 07:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVAGpy0zNwE

It's absolutely excruciating!:eek:

Sigmagirl
01-24-2014, 08:55 PM
When was their last hit? It doesn't last forever, and sales are constantly declining. I'd imagine their last substantial source of income would be playing concerts, and it doesn't sound like Daryl has been able to play music for quite some time. Reading the Wikipedia article, she's been the primary breadwinner since the 90s. While both are songwriters, their big hits were covers of songs by people like Neil Sedaka. The only one of their hits that they wrote was Do That to Me One More Time, and the real money in that is in other people covering it, and that happened only a handful of times.

From one of the reports, they just had to sell their vacation house.

She has had a significant career in the cabaret/jazz standard genre. The sales would be nothing like the '70s, but steady enough.

rocking chair
01-25-2014, 02:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVAGpy0zNwE

It's absolutely excruciating!:eek:

great galloping rohans! that outfit at the very end! unspeakable!

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
01-25-2014, 02:42 PM
The Muskrat...is Dead.
Film at 11.

Esox Lucius
01-26-2014, 12:55 AM
I Rear up and Command these un-Warrented puns to cease.

I couldn't agree more. Enough is enough already.

Getting back on topic, have you heard the rumours of martial infidelity?

outlierrn
01-26-2014, 02:46 AM
Didn't the Queen of England have a fit about how obscene Muskrat Love was after some royal performence back int the day?

jonesj2205
01-26-2014, 07:15 AM
Didn't the Queen of England have a fit about how obscene Muskrat Love was after some royal performence back int the day?

Almost - per wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskrat_Love):

Despite Captain & Tennille's stated disinterest in highlighting "Muskrat Love" as an item in their repertoire, it was the song they chose to sing at a July 1976 White House dinner honoring Queen Elizabeth II: the press subsequently ran a statement from a dinner guest who opined it was "in very poor taste" to sing of mating muskrats before the Queen. Toni Tennille responded to this charge saying: "only a person with a dirty mind would see something wrong. It's a gentle Disneyesque kind of song."

Siam Sam
01-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Said the woman who was singing about slutty muskrat lust.

Biggirl
01-26-2014, 09:08 PM
TMZ read the filings and made a lot of fuss over the unusual healthcare clause. Captain is in his 70s and is in failing health. They speculated that perhaps the Captain will get better health coverage if he was single.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.