PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one in the world who loves Arby's?

sweeteviljesus
01-27-2014, 11:07 AM
I was first introduced to Arby's at the age of 11, and I have been in love ever since. I don't eat there much anymore because it's kind of spendy, but I still love the regular old roast beef sandwiches, no sauce, no cheese, no nothin'. Call me a Philistine if you want, but it's the bomb.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Thanks,
Rob

Khendrask
01-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Ech...
Too salty, too processed tasting, and nothing resembling even a slight taste if beef.

I'll pass :)

Sicks Ate
01-27-2014, 11:10 AM
Never been a fan, but I've known plenty of people who love it. I mean it's a ok sammitch, but nothing special.

I don't recall a single time that, by myself, I've chosen to go to Arby's.

Inner Stickler
01-27-2014, 11:24 AM
I have a thing for the red ranch sauce on the beef and cheddars. Trips just the right circuits in my brain. I don't go anymore though, because they don't have the loaded potato bites and so now I'm boycotting Arbys.

Frazzled
01-27-2014, 11:24 AM
You are not the only one :-) - I love the Beef n Cheddar with extra Arby's sauce.

For a time they had Deli Style sandwiches that I thought were quite good as well.

Missy2U
01-27-2014, 11:26 AM
Beef and Cheddar, no Arby's sauce, extra cheese. Food of the gods.

running coach
01-27-2014, 11:26 AM
I worked at one '79-83. The main problem is that a beef roast, either an actual roast or beef "loaf", is not well suited to the fast food environment.
You screw up a hamburger patty, chuck it and make another. Screw up a roast and you either serve sub-par beef or you leave yourself short of product for a while. (Roasts were cooked based on hourly sales and were going in the oven most of the day rather than all at once in the morning.)

Then keeping the roasts hot without drying and making a properly portioned sandwich was dependent on the crew rather than the beef being pre-portioned.

While I was there, they were still baking the potato cakes. Same problems with scheduling the bakes.
You really needed a sharper crew than at a burger place.

We don't have an Arby's nearby and I ate at one for the first time in 30 years just a few months ago. I did miss the Jamocha shakes.

Guinastasia
01-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Yeah, the Beef and Cheddar sandwiches are pretty good. It's not the best, but they hit the spot when you're really hungry. Their orange and cream shakes though are luscious! (They used to have a mint chocolate one too -- yummy!)

gaffa
01-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Arby's has the very best dessert of any fast food operation - their astounding apple turnover. (Hardee's has something they call a turnover, but it's a mediocre imitation McDonald's pie.)

It's tender, flaky and delicious.

I just checked, and they have cherry and chocolate ones as well! (http://arbys.com/our-menu/shakes-desserts/turnovers)

LawMonkey
01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
I have a thing for the red ranch sauce on the beef and cheddars. Trips just the right circuits in my brain. I don't go anymore though, because they don't have the loaded potato bites and so now I'm boycotting Arbys.

Apparently you're my evil twin--I hate that red ranch sauce with a passion. I'm not sure if it was a "recent" addition, or if they just didn't do it in my neck of the woods, but I grew up on B&C's w/o it--just the good, good Arby's sauce. There's something about how the cheese sauce and the Arby's BBQ sauce mix that is just perfect. Om nom. So yeah, I dig Arby's. Won't go out of my way for it, but there's one on the way to the airport where I'm taking lessons. Stop there pretty much every time.

Strangeland64
01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Yes I do love me some Arby's.... just don't have one near me:-(

running coach
01-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Arby's has the very best dessert of any fast food operation - their astounding apple turnover. (Hardee's has something they call a turnover, but it's a mediocre imitation McDonald's pie.)

It's tender, flaky and delicious.

I just checked, and they have cherry and chocolate ones as well! (http://arbys.com/our-menu/shakes-desserts/turnovers)

At the time I worked there, it was Pepperidge Farms turnovers. Don't know if that's still the case.

Thudlow Boink
01-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Did you see the other Arby's thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=705066) that's been active recently?

I do like Arby's, but I'm disappointed that they no longer have the Super Roast Beef and Onion Petals, which are what I used to go there for.

MovieMogul
01-27-2014, 12:00 PM
One regular roast beef, one beef 'n' cheddar, one potato cakes + plenty of Arby & Horsey sauce = Heaven.

Don't go anymore because there aren't any near here (there are some in the Bay Area, but much farther afield and out of the way of my everyday activities), but will always remain a fan.

Inner Stickler
01-27-2014, 12:17 PM
I do like Arby's, but I'm disappointed that they no longer have the Super Roast Beef and Onion Petals, which are what I used to go there for.Have you asked? When I worked at Arby's the Super was not on the menu board but we still had the build sheet for it and it was in the system so customers could still order it. I can't imagine they couldn't still create one for you, what was it mayo, leaf of lettuce, 5 oz rb, and red ranch sauce?

Tom Tildrum
01-27-2014, 12:58 PM
The side items and the shakes are particularly worth the trip.

Uncle Jocko
01-27-2014, 01:08 PM
You are not the only one :-) - I love the Beef n Cheddar with extra Arby's sauce.

For a time they had Deli Style sandwiches that I thought were quite good as well.

I think they still have a couple of those deli sandwiches on the menu, at least around here. They are really good.

Broomstick
01-27-2014, 01:14 PM
I like the classic roast beef with a side of potato cakes. Sure, it's salty, but I'm one of those folks who doesn't have to worry about salt restrictions so once in awhile I stop for one.

pulykamell
01-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Plenty of people still like 'em (my wife included.) I'm just not a fan. I have a recollection of liking them in the mid-80s, but every couple years or so I give them another shot, and I just don't like it. (I have a similar experience with Wendy's. Loved them in the 80s. Now, not so much and every time I give them another try, I'm let down.) I don't know if their product changed or my tastes have changed. Buffalo, NY, has a regional beef and frozen custard chain called Anderson's that I do like. Unfortunately, it's very regional, with locations only in the Buffalo and surrounding area, so far as I can tell.

Broomstick
01-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Now, for salty Buffalo has those super salty roast beef things, roast beef on a bun that's heavily salted on top. They call 'em beef on weck, don't they? Oh, and because they're not salty enough don't forget the dill pickle.

Rocketeer
01-27-2014, 01:53 PM
I had a French dip at Arby's just last night, and although it wasn't the Greatest French Dip Of All Time, it was tasty and reasonably priced.

StusBlues
01-27-2014, 01:59 PM
I had a French dip at Arby's just last night, and although it wasn't the Greatest French Dip Of All Time, it was tasty and reasonably priced.

My thoughts exactly. Arby's is about the most solid fast food restaurant out there when you add everything together. The food is good, and from good ingredients. The desserts are cheap and, though not great, they'll do. The seats are uber-comfortable at the locations I go to, and they have Pepsi products - I am an unrepentent Diet Pepsi addict. If I want something cheaper than Panera (that is open later), Arby's is right up there. Ask for the hot ham & swiss, BTW. It's off-menu, but they'll usually make it. It's not only cheaper than most of their sandwiches, it's really quite good.

Snooooopy
01-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Arby's is pretty good. I would probably rate it a little higher if they still offered the option of normal fries. The curly fries are fine, I suppose, but it would be better if they were a fun change of pace instead of the only fries that were available.

AClockworkMelon
01-27-2014, 02:26 PM
It's getting fucking expensive. I remember the five for five deals from about ten years ago and that was awesome. Then it went to three for five, which was still a pretty good deal. But I haven't seen deals that good for my local restaurants in a while.

In terms of quality, though, I think Arby's is as good as it gets. Being the pig that I am I like to load each sandwich with Arby's sauce and horsey sauce.

pulykamell
01-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Now, for salty Buffalo has those super salty roast beef things, roast beef on a bun that's heavily salted on top. They call 'em beef on weck, don't they? Oh, and because they're not salty enough don't forget the dill pickle.

Yep, beef-on-weck. Those are things of beauty. The thing with Arby's to me is that the beef has a deli-meat type texture and flavor to it, almost like it was cured or something. It kind of tastes like what you'd get if you bought that Oscar Meyer roast beef cured (http://www.kraftbrands.com/oscarmayer/carving-board/beef.html) product and stuck it in a microwave with a bun. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not what I crave when I crave a roast beef.

(And, yeah, it's gotten expensive. Not sure I agree with the "it's as good as it gets" quality comment, though. It seems pretty middle-of-the-road to me.)

Soylent Juicy
01-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Good Lord I loved Arby's. There isn't one in my one-horse town so it was a big treat when I went to the nearest town with one or to the US. It's pretty much the only thing I truly miss now that I'm vegetarian.

Dale Sams
01-27-2014, 02:44 PM
I used too. Two roast beef sandwiches, a mountain dew, and a cherry turnover that they always forgot.

But then one day, the sandwich tasted horrible and I took a break. Recently they've been a little better.

running coach
01-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Yep, beef-on-weck. Those are things of beauty. The thing with Arby's to me is that the beef has a deli-meat type texture and flavor to it, almost like it was cured or something. It kind of tastes like what you'd get if you bought that Oscar Meyer roast beef cured (http://www.kraftbrands.com/oscarmayer/carving-board/beef.html) product and stuck it in a microwave with a bun. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not what I crave when I crave a roast beef.

(And, yeah, it's gotten expensive. Not sure I agree with the "it's as good as it gets" quality comment, though. It seems pretty middle-of-the-road to me.)

That's because it is.

7 lbs of beef chunks, place in bag.
Pour in a paste/slurry of ground/paste beef, fat, water, salt as a binder.
Seal bag and freeze.

A 10 lb roast would shrink about a half pound while cooking.
ETA: those were the ratios when i worked there. Don't know if they've changed.

Inner Stickler
01-27-2014, 02:57 PM
When I was there in '07ish the beef came frozen in the bag to the store. I don't remember it shrinking while being cooked but it did take forever (about 4-5 hours) to roast.

Mister Rik
01-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Have you asked? When I worked at Arby's the Super was not on the menu board but we still had the build sheet for it and it was in the system so customers could still order it. I can't imagine they couldn't still create one for you, what was it mayo, leaf of lettuce, 5 oz rb, and red ranch sauce?

Arby's was my first restaurant job, in 1983. By that time, the Hot Ham & Cheese sandwich came on a 6" sub roll, with mayo, lettuce, and tomato. But on the cash registers, there was still a button labeled, "Original H&C", for the benefit of those customers who still wanted the old one, which was just ham & cheese, no condiments, on the regular round sesame-seed bun.

For the OP, yes, I still love Arby's. Alas, I don't go there much any more. The one I worked at closed down a couple years ago, and the other two in my town are inconveniently located for me.

I have the "distinction" of being the kid who built the very first Arby's Philly Beef & Swiss sandwich in my town when that sandwich was first introduced. My Arby's location was the only Arby's in town at the time, so I know nobody beat me to it :D

zoid
01-27-2014, 03:07 PM
I have a fondness for a beef with lots of horsey sauce.
It's not great or anything but I don't think Arby's deserves all the grief they seem to get.

Gordon Urquhart
01-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Like many in this thread, I worked at an Arby's (summer of '88). Must have made a lot of sandwiches, because I can still remember the beef weights of nearly everything -- Junior (2.5 oz) , Regular (3 oz.), Super (5 oz.), Beef & Cheddar (3 oz.).

Ate it nearly every day that summer, and I still crave a Beef & Cheddar every now and then. Plus the Jamocha shakes and potato cakes are mighty tasty.

Yeah, it's pretty expensive compared to other fast food, but I'll take Arby's over pretty much anything else in that line.

Accidental Martyr
01-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Arby's is pretty good. I would probably rate it a little higher if they still offered the option of normal fries. The curly fries are fine, I suppose, but it would be better if they were a fun change of pace instead of the only fries that were available.

Same here. I wish they would bring back the Homestyle Fries. Apparently, some locations still offer them but none around here have them. They have Diet Mtn. Dew, though. :)

yellowjacketcoder
01-27-2014, 03:40 PM
I like Arby's. Honestly, bring up a thread about any fast-food, or even any chain, and you'll have people that love it and people that hate it.

pulykamell
01-27-2014, 04:06 PM
It's not great or anything but I don't think Arby's deserves all the grief they seem to get.

Thing is, in my experience, most people seem to like Arby's just fine. I've never noticed it being particularly singled out for grief--what I do notice is they're becoming more and more difficult to find in the Chicago area.

Was Arby's ever made from whole muscle roast beef rather than the beef-in-a-bag thing? I suspect if it was, it probably was before my time, but I really do remember it tasting better in the 80s. Like, to me, McDonald's and Burger King still tastes exactly the same as I remember it. Arby's doesn't, and neither does Wendy's (I remember loving those Big Classics.)

Mister Rik
01-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Was Arby's ever made from whole muscle roast beef rather than the beef-in-a-bag thing?

We were using the "composite" roasts in the 1980s.

zoid
01-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Thing is, in my experience, most people seem to like Arby's just fine. I've never noticed it being particularly singled out for grief--what I do notice is they're becoming more and more difficult to find in the Chicago area.

Jon Stewart regularly mocks Arby's.
The Simpsons poke fun at them.
I think South Park lobbed a few jokes their way as well.

pulykamell
01-27-2014, 04:22 PM
We were using the "composite" roasts in the 1980s.

Yeah, I figured the 80s sounded like it would be too late for whole muscle roasts. So it's probably just my tastes that have changed. Oh, and you can add Mr. Sub to the list of places that aren't as good as I remember them. Maybe that whole topic is worth its own thread.

pulykamell
01-27-2014, 04:23 PM
I think South Park lobbed a few jokes their way as well.

Huh. I watch all three of those and never noticed. Of course, now that you've mentioned it, I'm sure I'm going to see it all the time. Isn't there a name for that phenomenon? Like when you learn a new word, it starts appearing everywhere?

Chronos
01-27-2014, 04:38 PM
They're better than most fast food places. Back when I lived in Bozeman, the whole city shut down on national holidays, and fast food places where the only place you could get lunch. In that context, Arby's was the best option. Now, though, I'm blessed with a lot more options (including at least two better fast food places), and as a result haven't been to Arby's in a couple of years.

running coach
01-27-2014, 07:15 PM
When I was there in '07ish the beef came frozen in the bag to the store. I don't remember it shrinking while being cooked but it did take forever (about 4-5 hours) to roast.

:smack::smack: I should have mentioned it was not made on site. Didn't even think of that.
We had a daily form to fill out on all the roasts, weight before and after cooking.

buddha_david
01-27-2014, 07:46 PM
There's something about how the cheese sauce and the Arby's BBQ sauce mix that is just perfect. Om nom. So yeah, I dig Arby's. Won't go out of my way for it, but there's one on the way to the airport where I'm taking lessons.
There's two different sizes of Beef'n Cheddar sandwiches, and I typically purchase one of the large size or two of the smaller ones, plus some Mozarella sticks on the side. Yum yummy! :)

zoid
01-27-2014, 07:52 PM
There's two different sizes of Beef'n Cheddar sandwiches, and I typically purchase one of the large size or two of the smaller ones, plus some Mozarella sticks on the side. Yum yummy! :)

Wait, no curly fries or potato cakes?!

Baker
01-27-2014, 07:53 PM
I'd buy the Horsey sauce if they sold it in quantities larger than the little individual packets. It's exactly the strength of horseradish I like.

Leaffan
01-27-2014, 07:58 PM
I don't eat fast food very often. I had a beef and cheddar a couple of years ago. It was sloppy, messy, and delicious. Especially with the horsey sauce. mmmmmmm......

running coach
01-27-2014, 08:04 PM
I'd buy the Horsey sauce if they sold it in quantities larger than the little individual packets. It's exactly the strength of horseradish I like.

Sauce in a bottle. (http://arbys.com/articles/how-to-get-sauce-in-a-bottle-right-now)
I don't know why they're claiming it's a big debut. They carried these when I worked there.

Leaffan
01-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Sauce in a bottle. (http://arbys.com/articles/how-to-get-sauce-in-a-bottle-right-now)
I don't know why they're claiming it's a big debut. They carried these when I worked there.
Oooo. I did not know that. I may pick up some Horsey this week. I think it would be great on sandwiches.

Ellen Cherry
01-27-2014, 08:18 PM
We used to buy the Horsey Sauce all the time in the '70s! It is great on all kinds of sandwiches, even vegetables.

Ají de Gallina
01-27-2014, 08:57 PM
I've only had Arby's once, just outside Tampa.
I was driving with my wife and kids from Orlando to Miami but instead of the usual road, but for once I wanted to take the Gulf route.

The family ordered as normal humans, but I ordered a truly gigantic sandwich and as I was about to pay, the cashier uttered a phrase that still makes me sweat at night; "double the meat for a dollar?"......how could I say no?
It was very good, but I have to say I only finished because the kids were watching and dad always dinishes his sandwiches.

Good stuff.

Ostrya
01-28-2014, 12:50 AM
I think Arby's has great milkshakes for a fastfood joint, esp vanilla - not as syrupy tasting as competitor's - rather more of a cream dairy flavor.

F. U. Shakespeare
01-28-2014, 05:52 AM
Plenty of people still like 'em (my wife included.) I'm just not a fan. I have a recollection of liking them in the mid-80s, but every couple years or so I give them another shot, and I just don't like it. (I have a similar experience with Wendy's. Loved them in the 80s. Now, not so much and every time I give them another try, I'm let down.) I don't know if their product changed or my tastes have changed. Buffalo, NY, has a regional beef and frozen custard chain called Anderson's that I do like. Unfortunately, it's very regional, with locations only in the Buffalo and surrounding area, so far as I can tell.As recently as 5-6 years ago, I used to really like Arby's. (It became a running joke at work: if people were giving me directions somewhere, I would invariably interrupt with, "Wait, is there an Arby's on the left there?")

But I gradually lost my taste for Arby's. I thought my tastes had changed. But a couple years ago, a co-worked and I decided to try Arby's. Neither of us had eaten there in a while, and we agreed that the product had changed. The roast beef seems more processed than it used to. And the sandwich buns are sickeningly sweet.

Also, as noted above, the prices used to be much more reasonable. "Five for $5" was a great deal.

Raza
01-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Roast Beef
In the Atlanta area, the Super isn't on the menu board, but it is on the register. On occasion I'll get an employee who looks at me puzzled when I order it, but just ask for the supervisor and they'll show them where the button is.

Price
Yesterday's small Super Roast Beef combo (sandwich, fries, drink) was $5.49. There aren't many places I can go around here and get a serviceable lunch for less than that.

I like the atmosphere. The staff are always friendly (unlike other fast food places; yes, I know it's enforced via whip, but still it's nice), the dining area is large and clean, and it is relatively quiet.

Fear Itself
01-28-2014, 09:48 AM
I think South Park lobbed a few jokes their way as well.On Seinfeld, Elaine was always ragging on Puddy because he always wanted to go to Arby's.

Spud
01-28-2014, 10:27 AM
The Super is on the on-line menu, but listed as limited availability.

And they have always used the deli style beef. I first went to one in the late 60's or early 70's (young enough to think the big cowboy hat was really cool). The big difference I remember is they used to after fixing the sandwich push it on a special steaming station that pushed three spikes into the sandwich and then shot steam into it.

pulykamell
01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
(young enough to think the big cowboy hat was really cool).

It took me decades before I realized that was a cowboy hat. For some reason, as a kid, I just thought it was some kind of stylized slab of beef. And I still have difficulty seeing it as a cowboy hat. I mean, yeah, it's obviously a hat, but I've just seen it as a slab of beef for so long, that's what it looks to me like. How does that look like a slab of beef? I don't know. I think I was relating it to the look of a ham cross-section (something in this spirit (http://0.tqn.com/d/southernfood/1/0/b/-/3/simple-ham-3.jpg)) and projected that idea onto a slab of beef.

Thudlow Boink
01-28-2014, 11:06 AM
It took me decades before I realized that was a cowboy hat.Did you see the Grammys? (http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/pharrell-williams-in-a-roast-beef-with-arbys-restaurant-over-2014-grammys-hat-2014271)

DCnDC
01-28-2014, 11:16 AM
I've never understood the appeal.

I'm quite certain I can duplicate an overcooked, overprocessed roast beef sandwich and fries with Oscar Mayer deli meat and a bag of frozen Ore Ida curly fries for a fraction of the price. Seriously, if you're going to build a whole brand around a roast beef sandwich, perhaps your roast beef shouldn't suck.

BrainGlutton
01-28-2014, 11:18 AM
One of my guilty pleasures. I always get the biggest roast beef and put BBQ sauce on both buns and add more while I'm eating it. And, oh, those disgusting, greasy, glorious potato cakes!

Skywatcher
01-28-2014, 12:09 PM
A mall not far from us has an Arby's in the basement food court and a movie theater in a recently added wing. We typically stop by the former when we're there for the latter.

Skywatcher
01-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Now I want some Arby's for lunch! Getting there and back takes more than an hour without a car, though. :(

Infovore
01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
I used to like Arby's a lot when I was a kid, but I do think they've changed over the last few years. Not nearly as much flavor, and the buns are yucky. I don't *hate* the sandwiches now, but we can usually come up with something else to do when we decide on fast food.

llcoolbj77
01-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Oooh, Arby's is my pregnancy go to.

I have always liked them. But I try not to eat fast food too often. But when I'm pregnant (as I am now) its a pretty regular indulgence.

1 medium roast beef - plain
+ 1 chocolate shake
+ curly fries
happy pregnant lady

Hypno-Toad
01-28-2014, 01:05 PM
I like Arby's more than other chains but it's not convienant for me anymore. The one I used to go to was known as "The Arby's of the Damned" by my friends due to the service. And if I referred to it that way in front of others, they knew which one I meant. The roast beef is what I go for. And the curly fries. Just as well I moved away from that neighborhood. I'd be 50 pounds heavier by now.

Ellen Cherry
01-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Oooh, Arby's is my pregnancy go to.

I have always liked them. But I try not to eat fast food too often. But when I'm pregnant (as I am now) its a pretty regular indulgence.

1 medium roast beef - plain
+ 1 chocolate shake
+ curly fries
happy pregnant lady

For me it was Subway, and it was always the superprocessed BMT's, loaded with pepperoni and salami. I would inhale a full size sandwich like it was nothing.

And I must chuckle. Only pulykamell would have a photo of a cowboy hat-looking roast at his immedate disposal. :)

gaffa
01-29-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm wondering of Arby's could be re-invented with sous vide cooking of the roast.

Learjeff
01-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Big Super fan here, with curly fries & Jamocha shake! Only now I have to say "Super roast beef" because there's some other "super" thing now. Admittedly, they used to be better. But I believe I recently saw that they're bringing back beef carved on-site or something like that, more like it used to be. Still, I luvs me a Super.

What't this about onion petals?

Not long ago they had a new Reuben so I tried that. Gack! Worst imitation ever. The least appetizing part was the "bread", which seemed to be some plastic concoction colored to look like rye bread. Ugh. I'd fire whoever came up with that recipe.

Decades ago I lived near a U campus and there was a sub shop around the corner. They had a roast beef sub but by default put all the wrong stuff on it, so I always ordered it "minus this and that, with lettuce, tomato, and Russian dressing (that's what they called it there, same stuff). Just like a Super! I ordered there often enough and from the same guy, so I'd go in and order a "usual".

One time a friend who'd been with me several times went in alone and ordered a "Usual" and they looked at him like he was nuts.

pulykamell
01-29-2014, 05:55 PM
And I must chuckle. Only pulykamell would have a photo of a cowboy hat-looking roast at his immedate disposal. :)

Wait. What's so weird about that?

;)

Broomstick
01-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Had Arby's for lunch today, just sayin'

Guinastasia
01-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Now I'm jonesing for Arby's. Dammit.

aruvqan
01-30-2014, 04:51 AM
Now I'm jonesing for Arby's. Dammit.
I am actually jonesing for a beef on weck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck) ... :( the horseradish, the rare roast beef, the kummel roll with huge chunkies of salt, the broth to dip the sandwich in ... *sob* I used up the last of the weck rolls we brought home after our Christmas trip to Mom's ...

D.E.S.K.Top668
01-30-2014, 05:49 PM
While I'm not a giant Arby's fan, I will say that I always thought they were in the upper echelon of reliably decent, relatively cheap fast food. I always get the Chicken Bacon Swiss or the French Dip and Swiss, a Junior Bacon Cheddar Melt, and a small Curly Fry. The JBCM and the SCF are consumed for lunch and the Chicken Bacon Swiss or the French Dip and Swiss is saved for the drive home.
Unfortunately, the Arby's between home and work has closed, so I now have to go out of my way to get my Arby's fix.

Peace - DESK

actualliberalnotoneofthose
01-30-2014, 08:08 PM
I've never understood the appeal.

I'm quite certain I can duplicate an overcooked, overprocessed roast beef sandwich and fries with Oscar Mayer deli meat and a bag of frozen Ore Ida curly fries for a fraction of the price. Seriously, if you're going to build a whole brand around a roast beef sandwich, perhaps your roast beef shouldn't suck.

Fast food places have successfully built entire brands around burgers that suck, tacos that suck, fried fish that sucks, and pizza that sucks. Now Burger King is even trying to sell fries that resemble bagged frozen potatoes or school cafeteria style fries as some kind of innovation. I had never seen frozen curly fries until long after Arby's established ownership of that in my mind, and now you can even buy frozen Arby's curly fries at every grocery store I go to.

legalsnugs
01-31-2014, 02:21 PM
Except for the grandchildren, Arby's Jamocha shakes are the only reason we'll visit the U.S. anymore. They are the best.

Chimera
01-31-2014, 03:29 PM
Had Arby's for lunch today, just sayin'

Yup, walked the 6 blocks down there today. Outside there, skyway back.

sitchensis
01-31-2014, 04:23 PM
I stopped going to Arby’s when they got rid of the turkey sub. The beef sandwiches are only okay and fairly expensive, but that turkey sub had the best sauce on it. It was some type of creamy Italian, just fantastic.

The got rid of their subs in favor of the deli fresh sandwiches, which were dry bland crap.

Skywatcher
01-31-2014, 04:52 PM
I stopped going to Arby’s when they got rid of the turkey sub. The beef sandwiches are only okay and fairly expensive, but that turkey sub had the best sauce on it. It was some type of creamy Italian, just fantastic.

The got rid of their subs in favor of the deli fresh sandwiches, which were dry bland crap.They have Angus beef subs now. The three cheese & bacon is my favoriate.

BillVol
05-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Arby's was my first restaurant job, in 1983. By that time, the Hot Ham & Cheese sandwich came on a 6" sub roll, with mayo, lettuce, and tomato. But on the cash registers, there was still a button labeled, "Original H&C", for the benefit of those customers who still wanted the old one, which was just ham & cheese, no condiments, on the regular round sesame-seed bun.

I would get this sandwich all the time. I first had it around '81. As I recall, the bun was soft. Had shredded lettuce. Really thin tomatoes. A good amount of ham sliced very thinly. And the cheese. It also had mayo on it that must have had some kind of seasoning added. Also, it was warmed up slightly and was wrapped in paper after it was cut in half. It was the best sandwich I've ever had. Ever so often I'll contact Arby's to ask them to bring it back. They always say, "We have no plans to bring the ham sub back to the menu."

RTFirefly
05-12-2017, 11:58 AM
It's getting fucking expensive. I remember the five for five deals from about ten years ago and that was awesome. Then it went to three for five, which was still a pretty good deal. But I haven't seen deals that good for my local restaurants in a while. I see 3-for-$5 coupons pretty frequently for their regular roast beef. (I've got one right here, actually. Might use it on the way home. :))

The curly fries are fine, I suppose, but it would be better if they were a fun change of pace instead of the only fries that were available.Since I only eat at Arby's occasionally (hell, I only do fast food at all occasionally anymore), the curly fries are always a change of pace, and I like them better than most of the other fast food places. (I've never understood the love for MickeyD's fries, and BK's and Wendy's aren't anything special either.)

WOOKINPANUB
05-12-2017, 12:34 PM
I had to struggle not to go to Arby's for lunch today. I really, really wanted a french dip and curly fries but opted for something slightly less sodium infused (grilled sandwich from Wnedy's. So disappointing). Obviously it's not high quality but to paraphrase what was said in another thread, sometimes you want a good roast beef sandwich and sometimes you just want Arby's. Also, the curly fries are excellent but you always have to order up a size because half of them will be burnt / inedible.

stillownedbysetters
05-12-2017, 01:12 PM
On occasion, I get a deep craving for Arby's Beef and Cheddar sandwich and the curly fries. When it strikes, nothing else will do. I haven't eaten anything else from Arby's for years, but those B&C sandwich just float my boat.

ekedolphin
05-12-2017, 03:27 PM
We did Arby's yesterday. I got a beef 'n cheddar and curly fries; Mom got the Reuben, curly fries, and jalapeno poppers. (I snitched one of her poppers.)

N9IWP
05-12-2017, 03:30 PM
I like Arby's French Dip -- not the best, but I've had worse FD at sit down places.

Brian

Jackmannii
05-12-2017, 03:58 PM
I think it was 2014 when I was on the road in Massachusetts and stopped at an Arby's to get a corned beef sandwich.

I haven't been back to one since, but that was really good corned beef.

running coach
05-12-2017, 04:27 PM
I think it was 2014 when I was on the road in Massachusetts and stopped at an Arby's to get a corned beef sandwich.

I haven't been back to one since, but that was really good corned beef.

The most recent addition is a pork belly sandwich.

Skywatcher
05-12-2017, 04:36 PM
A mall not far from us has an Arby's in the basement food court and a movie theater in a recently added wing. We typically stop by the former when we're there for the latter.That Arby's closed a couple years ago in preparation for that mall's redevelopment. We did not have Arby's since then. Until a couple nights ago when I noticed Arby's on Door Dash.

Drunky Smurf
05-12-2017, 04:40 PM
I tried the PBS and it just tasted like a really overly fatty piece of ham that wasn't cooked well. Now maybe that's how pork belly should be but I didn't really like it.

DMGuy
05-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Was Arby's ever made from whole muscle roast beef rather than the beef-in-a-bag thing? I suspect if it was, it probably was before my time, but I really do remember it tasting better in the 80s.

Yes, until the mid-70s Arby's used whole muscle beef roast, and it was delicious. My brother, father and I used to go at least once a week.....I've been there maybe 5 times in the last 40 years.

Roast beef was what Arby's was all about....I think the name is actually a phonetic spelling of the initial's RB (roast beef).

running coach
05-12-2017, 04:59 PM
Yes, until the mid-70s Arby's used whole muscle beef roast, and it was delicious. My brother, father and I used to go at least once a week.....I've been there maybe 5 times in the last 40 years.

Roast beef was what Arby's was all about....I think the name is actually a phonetic spelling of the initial's RB (roast beef).
Arby's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arby%27s)

Arby's was founded in Boardman, Ohio, on July 23, 1964, by Forrest (1922–2008)[8] and Leroy Raffel (1927), owners of a restaurant equipment business who thought there was a market opportunity for a fast food franchise based on a food other than hamburgers

The brothers wanted to call their restaurants "Big Tex", but that name was already used by an Akron business. Instead, they chose the name "Arby's", based on R. B., the initials of Raffel Brothers.

Iggy
05-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Arby's is on the carvings menu for every trip back to the States of any suitable length.

We do not have Arby's here in Cayman. One trip a few years ago I had an 8 hour layover in Miami before heading on to Colombia. I rented a car, went and did some quick shopping, and stopped for an Arby's lunch (and a Taco Bell chicken soft taco) before the mad dash back to the airport.

My order used to be a regular roast beef, but it seems they have those in different sizes now. Just give me the biggest hunk of roast beef on a bun, no other toppings please. I'll soak it in Arby's sauce and keep adding more as I eat.

Clothahump
05-12-2017, 11:11 PM
I was first introduced to Arby's at the age of 11, and I have been in love ever since. I don't eat there much anymore because it's kind of spendy, but I still love the regular old roast beef sandwiches, no sauce, no cheese, no nothin'. Call me a Philistine if you want, but it's the bomb.

Does anyone else feel this way?

If I had one near me, I would be a regular customer. Alas, I don't.

Richard John Marcej
05-13-2017, 12:11 AM
Not a fan of their curly fries but am a big fan of their Rueben Sandwich.

Little Nemo
05-13-2017, 12:25 AM
I had an Arby's in my town when this thread was started. But it closed about a year ago. I used to go there on a regular basis.

RealityChuck
05-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Arby's is a middle finger to the entire concept of roast beef. It looks and tastes like oversalted ham and if the cook were to spit in it it would only improve it.

And if you can't make your specialty edible, it says that you're certainly not going to manage it for anything else.

DKW
05-13-2017, 02:42 PM
Used to go somewhat regularly...a tad overpriced, but it's a nice, filling meal with pretty good variety. However, I can't ignore the fact that:

- At some point in the evening, and not even particularly late, someone blocks off half of the space. Absolutely no idea why, and no one's ever cared to explain.

- In the daytime, it gets incredibly crowded, often to the point where I can't even find a space. I've had to eat standing up more than once.

- The seating...could us a lot of improvement. Most of the fixed tables have nowhere near enough space, and the movable tables are not only uneven, they're not even the same height. The seating is often either ripped or spaced at where I want to sit.

- Most damning of all, unlike most fast food joints, the same employees tend stay on for a long time and work the same shifts. Therefore, if you order the same thing several times in a row, they'll remember...and make a huge honking deal out of it. I hate that. It's goddam INSULTING. It nearly drove me out of there more than once.

Yeah, there are reasons I'm a Jack In The Box guy.

Count Blucher
05-13-2017, 02:52 PM
If I had one near me, I would be a regular customer. Alas, I don't.

Same. They have great commercials & my memory of the food back in the day is that it was pretty good.

But I'm not driving 20 miles to get Arby's food.

mmkt
05-13-2017, 03:40 PM
The look of their sandwiches on the commerical does not look very appealing.

No interest in Arbys

buddha_david
05-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Love Arby's, but unfortunately, the local franchises apparently aren't doing very well.

A few years ago, the closest Arby's shut down and became a Starbucks. There was a second Arby's which was too far away for casual visits, but happened to be conveniently located on the drive between my house and the doctor's office, so it became my routine to patronize them once a month. THAT Arby's has since shut down and became a Starbucks.

Rushgeekgirl
05-13-2017, 05:12 PM
I had a great chef's salad there last week and my daughter raved about the chocolate milkshake. The salad was full of good quality deli turkey meat and fresh ingredients. Not what I'm used to with pre-made fast food salads.

snfaulkner
05-13-2017, 05:44 PM
I haven't been to Arby's in about a decade. Mostly because I never see one. I did like the food even though it gave me the poopies. Every. Single. Time.

Elendil's Heir
05-13-2017, 10:36 PM
:: raises hand ::

I love Arby's, although sometimes months go by between visits. I usually get two Beef and Cheddars (adding lots of that tangy red Arby's Sauce) with a small Curly Fries, an ice water, and a large Jamocha Shake for dessert. Very bad for me, I know, but delicious.

CelticKnot
05-21-2017, 06:10 PM
My husband ordered a french dip, and every part of it was cold. I don't mean "not hot" but refrigerator cold. Management behaved as if it was an unreasonable request for a hot sandwich, so we stopped going to that store. Then we moved far, far away from any major fast food other than McD's and KFC. We don't eat fast food much anymore.
I miss Wendy's and Jack in the Box.

silenus
05-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Used to be a fan, until they swapped out their very good French fries for those curly monstrosities.

I've never been back since.

drewder
05-21-2017, 06:26 PM
I used to work at one and I still eat there although several of my favorites have been discontinued like the onion pedals and the roast beef sub, which had a great sauce. I'm quite fond of horsey sauce mixed with arby's sauce.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kanicbird
05-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Beef and cheddar was the food of the gods from my childhood. I don't even see a arby's often anymore and don't jump at the chance when I do, but on occasion I will go in and get one and often think the gods either don't have that great a taste for food, or they didn't pick up their order from the last century and that's the one I got. Really it is OK, and does hot some of the nostalgia buzz, but it's never how I remembered it.

GoodOldKJ
05-23-2017, 10:34 PM
Give me one of those chicken cordon bleu sandwiches and I'm a happy Arby's eater!

Elendil's Heir
05-23-2017, 11:00 PM
Just had a large jamocha shake on Sat. Mmm mmm mmmmmm!

Tranquilis
05-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Arbys.... Mmmm...
The Jamocha shake, the roast beast... Even teh jalepeno poppers.* :p

*Yes, I know they suck. I like them anyway.

diggerwam
05-24-2017, 07:42 AM
Have taco Bell and Arby's next door to work. I trade off weekly. 2 sliders and small fry not bad meal for less than 5 bucks. Bigger sandwich just are too greasy and go thru me within 90 minutes.

control-z
05-24-2017, 10:32 AM
I like Arby's as long as it is well managed. The Beef & Cheddar, French Dip, shakes, and curly fries are all delicious at a well-run restaurant.

In the West end of Richmond VA there is a very nice Arby's that looks like a Disney lodge or something, polished wood furniture, stone fireplace, totem poles: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g57768-d3393023-r184277616-Arby_s-Glen_Allen_Virginia.html

Maggie the Ocelot
05-24-2017, 01:56 PM
LOVE the cherry turnovers.

silenus
05-24-2017, 02:07 PM
I used to love when they'd run a "5 for $5" special on Arby-Qs. Those suckers were total crap, but addictive!

That Don Guy
05-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Used to be a fan, until they swapped out their very good French fries for those curly monstrosities.
I agree with you about the fries, but the new fries didn't stop me from going back, especially when the one near my office started putting 2-for-1 Classic Sandwiches coupons on the cash register tape at the nearby supermarket.

What did stop me from going back was, the only two Arby's within 40 miles, or on the other side of a $5 toll bridge, closed at about the same time. One of them was replaced by a local deli's version, but the roast beef it used had way too much fat, and it quickly closed as well. Still empty, AFAIK. Hmmm... sounds like an idea for a new thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=826974).

running coach
05-24-2017, 02:27 PM
I used to love when they'd run a "5 for $5" special on Arby-Qs. Those suckers were total crap, but addictive!

I remember those coupons...from the other side of the counter.
*twitches*

salinqmind
05-24-2017, 08:26 PM
I take a disabled man to lunch once a month or so and he loves Burger King. I wish he would warm up to Arby's, we went there last year a few times and I thought everything on the menu looked pretty good, and different. Chicken, beef, fish, ham and cheese, sandwiches. But everything is so SALTY. So it's a once a month, if that, kind of thing.

05-25-2017, 02:15 AM

I've never been back since.

People keep saying this but in my experience the default was always potato cakes or curly fries and the homestyle fries were either added later and then phased out or I never noticed them. I don't know, maybe I'm too young, but from starting eating there in the 80s you went to Arbys for potato cakes or curly fries and the homestyle or regular fries always seemed like the odd ones to me. Also, outside of maybe 5 Guys (which cost me $15 for a regular burger, reg fries and a kids drink last time I was there) regular fries at fast food places mostly suck. At least Arby's offers side items, which is often a tiebreaker in my book. At one point you could get 3 kinds of fries, jalapenos, mozz sticks, onion petals, potato bites, baked potatoes, etc. Seemed pointless to even get the regular fries, though I understand we all have our preferences and favorite fast food items.

05-25-2017, 02:19 AM
LOVE the cherry turnovers.

My kids loved the chocolate turnovers, which they discontinued. What sucks about that is I have never seen them sold anywhere else, including grocery stores. So Arby's stopped and now they don't exist. Not like I can go try the 8 other places that sell burgers and thin french fries.

They also discontinued the Juniors. So I guess my kids are SOL. If you want a smaller roast beef you have to get a slider with some random cheese on it I guess.

aceplace57
05-25-2017, 02:21 AM
I like Arby's classic roast beef with Arby's sauce. I order the double.

I like their beef N cheddar but the onion bun gives me heartburn.

Arby's potato cakes are wonderful.

I wish Arby's would offer a pot roast sandwich. I love making sandwiches at home with left over roast beef. Big thick pieces between the bread. Much, much tastier than anything Arby's or the Sub places offers.

running coach
05-25-2017, 08:46 AM
My kids loved the chocolate turnovers, which they discontinued. What sucks about that is I have never seen them sold anywhere else, including grocery stores. So Arby's stopped and now they don't exist. Not like I can go try the 8 other places that sell burgers and thin french fries.

They also discontinued the Juniors. So I guess my kids are SOL. If you want a smaller roast beef you have to get a slider with some random cheese on it I guess.

When I worked there in the early 80's, the turnovers were from Pepperidge Farms. (http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/product/apple-turnovers/)
(The link says apple but it goes to the turnover page in general. And they do have chocolate.)

Soylent Juicy
05-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Now that I'm a vegetarian I say the only things I miss are sushi, assorted subs and Arby's.

For some mysterious reason there isn't an Arby's in my town so I made sure to have it when I was away. It was a huge treat. Beef & Cheddar sandwich, curly fries and a Jamocha shake.

So no, OP from 2014, you're not the only one who loves Arby's.

BobLibDem
05-25-2017, 08:55 AM
They're okay but a little pricier than they should be. I miss their turkey deluxe sandwiches, they were heavenly. I like their onion rings/petals/whatever but you don't get nearly enough with an order. Their shakes are much better than other fast food places.

Snooooopy
05-31-2017, 01:45 AM
I'm a little annoyed by the Arby's I regularly patronize. Unlike the one I went to in the last town I lived in, this one actually offered the option of normal fries ... until my most recent visit, that is. And this comes just weeks after its decision to trim back its hours. Of course, all would be forgiven if they brought back their chocolate turnovers. Those were pretty fucking awesome.

drewder
05-31-2017, 05:31 AM
I never much liked either the regular nor curly fries. Curly fries in particular have a short shelf life and are only good when their still piping hot, pro-tip curly fries improve vastly when dipped in ranch dressing. I much prefer the potato wedges to any fries they serve. Jalapeño poppers are pretty good too although their mass often allows for too much oil absorption.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.