PDA

View Full Version : Foods that just don't taste like you remember them

pulykamell
01-27-2014, 04:43 PM
This is kind of an offshoot of the Arby's thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=714225). In my life, there have been a number of foods that I remember loving as a kid, but whose current incarnation just doesn't do it for me. I'm thinking mostly of fast foods in the framing of this question, but I don't necessarily want to limit it to that. I don't particularly care if the difference is a change in your tastes or a change in the actual product. But what don't you enjoy now that you may have enjoyed a decade or two or more ago?

For me, I remember loving these three:

1) Mr. Submarine. Every so often, my dad would come from work and stop by the Mr. Sub's down the street and bring home one of their Italian style subs. I remember loving those. Good bread, nice and oniony with peppery Italian meats and all that. I've gone back several times in the last decade, and every single time, at various locations, I have gotten bread that is so gummy/dense that it actually made my jaw sore from chewing it. The only way I could eat it was by throwing it in a microwave.

2) Wendy's. The Big Classic was a favorite of mine. Their burgers always tasted fresher and more "real" to me than McDonald's and Burger King. But the last few years I've been there, despite the fresh meat ads and all that, I've gotten what to me is a sad, bland product. I still like it better than Burger King, but I prefer McDonald's of the Big Three.

3) Arby's. Loved it as a kid, and I remember being entranced by those big, beautiful Arby's neon signs. These days it tastes like reheated Oscar Meyer deli meat to me. Even in the 90s, when I was a ravenously hungry teenager and lived literally less than 100 yards from one, I almost never went there. And if I did, it was the chicken cordon bleu I liked.

TBG
01-27-2014, 06:46 PM
A couple summers back we went up to the lake and it was kinda late so we weren't gonna go get groceries until the next day. Well, that's great, but I was hungry, so I went looking for some food. The cupboards were nearly bare, as were the fridge and freezer, but I did find a can of spaghetti-o's.

Now, I've never been a fan of pasta, or spaghetti in particular, but I ate s-o's fairly regularly as a kid and liked them, so I thought great, here we go.

I could barely even eat the stuff it tasted so awful, either they changed the recipe in the last 25 years since I'd had them, the can had gone bad (hadn't expired tho), or my tastebuds as a child were damned dirty liars.

Jeff Lichtman
01-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Sometimes things change, but just as often it is we who change.

Most kids like sweet food. I used to love Hostess Creme-Filled Cupcakes when I was a kid. When I tried one as an adult I hated it. It was over-the-top sweet, with little other flavor.

Spaghetti-Os are sweet. They put a lot of corn syrup in the sauce to appeal to kids, but most adults don't like sugary pasta.

Sattua
01-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Cracklin' Oat Bran. When nutrition labeling laws were passed around 1990 they changed their recipe and it just isn't the same since. It used to be ambrosia, oh my, the best-tasting thing I could imagine. Not anymore.

Zeldar
01-27-2014, 08:15 PM
For my main contribution, I will focus on a relatively recent deterioration in quality in Healthy Choice Lemon Pepper Fish (http://www.gianteagle.com/50100459871.aspx) which I have quit buying some time ago. I used to have it two or three times a week and it made for a quick and easy heat-'em-up evening meal to watch TV by. But over time, the fish piece became smaller, the broccoli went from being fresh (as frozen stuff goes) and easy to chew, to something resembling wood chips.

Not only did I decide to drop that paricular item, I quit buying Healthy Choice brand at all.

For a side item that's quit tasting like I remember it, I'll select Payday candy bars. I still get them and still like them a little but nowhere near as much as when I was a kid. The last few batches I have bought have been stale and with fewer peanuts, while the price keeps going up.

DummyGladHands
01-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Jenos Pizza Rolls. They used to actually have something in them. Whatever it was, it was something. Now it's just sauce.

pulykamell
01-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Spaghetti-Os are sweet. They put a lot of corn syrup in the sauce to appeal to kids, but most adults don't like sugary pasta.

Yeah, I remember Spaghetti-Os being sickly sweet back then, and last I had them (which, who knows, maybe 10 years ago I tried some), they were still as I remember them. I just remember all the Franco American and Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee products having a weird sweetness to them that didn't quite taste like tomatoes.

pulykamell
01-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Cracklin' Oat Bran. When nutrition labeling laws were passed around 1990 they changed their recipe and it just isn't the same since. It used to be ambrosia, oh my, the best-tasting thing I could imagine. Not anymore.

Oh, I remember that. Used to love it, too. Didn't realize they still made it. What was it they changed because of the labeling laws?

Ellen Cherry
01-27-2014, 08:30 PM
That reminds me of Corn Bran cereal. I loved it! I'm sure I haven't seen it in years. And I loved Cracklin Oat Bran too.

I used to love canned spaghetti, which tasted exactly like spaghetti-o's. I loaded them up tons of oregano and Parmesan cheese. I can't bring myself to try it again, if they still even make it.

running coach
01-27-2014, 08:36 PM
That reminds me of Corn Bran cereal. I loved it! I'm sure I haven't seen it in years. And I loved Cracklin Oat Bran too.

Corn Bran is still around where I am. (Central Valley, Ca.)

ETA: Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Quaker-Essentials-Crunchy-Cereal-12-Ounce/dp/B000YPKQ6Y)

Grrr!
01-27-2014, 08:52 PM
I was feeling a bit nostalgic the other day and picked up a jar of Ragu.

Holy crap! That stuff was so loaded with sugar I had to douse it with some harissa paste to offset the sweetness.

Mahaloth
01-27-2014, 08:59 PM
Yeah, Spaghetti-O's are total crap, but my kids still go nuts for them. I loved 'em as a kid, too.

Mac 'N Cheese is also different or I remember it incorrectly. Only Aldi brand is any good anymore.

Essured
01-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Apples. Crisp & juicy red apples.
I can only find non-crisp, too-sweet, floury red apples :(

I miss the combo of crisp & juicy so much I'm contemplating hunting down heirloom seeds and growing my own

Jeff Lichtman
01-27-2014, 09:54 PM

I miss the combo of crisp & juicy so much I'm contemplating hunting down heirloom seeds and growing my own

That surprises me. I looked up apple varieties on Wikipedia and found that the Cripps Pink (AKA Pink Lady) originated in Australia. So did the Granny Smith. While neither variety is red, both are crisp and juicy.

Of course, apples are out of season right now in Australia, so any you find in the stores now will have been in storage for several months.

nearwildheaven
01-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Hamburger and Tuna Helper has been reformulated in recent years (and not for the better, either) and so have Campbell's cream soups. UGH!

Essured
01-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Yep we have those varieties. They just aren't the level of *crisp* and *juicy* I remember from my childhood. They have less flavour, are sweeter, and are more floury than I recall. They are a shadow of their former crispy heaven.

I was specifically talking about the Red Delicious variety, but Granny Smith's are no longer as crisp as I recall either.

Maybe my memory is faulty. But then, I hear so much about long-term cold storage of fruit for consistent supplies year-round. Then again, I tried some apples from a farmers market recently and remain disappointed. Maybe my memory is the faulty object here, not the apples

But dammit - I want a crisp, juicy, slightly tart apple!

John Mace
01-27-2014, 10:24 PM

Get them in season. That's the key.

running coach
01-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Yep we have those varieties. They just aren't the level of *crisp* and *juicy* I remember from my childhood. They have less flavour, are sweeter, and are more floury than I recall. They are a shadow of their former crispy heaven.

I was specifically talking about the Red Delicious variety, but Granny Smith's are no longer as crisp as I recall either.

Maybe my memory is faulty. But then, I hear so much about long-term cold storage of fruit for consistent supplies year-round. Then again, I tried some apples from a farmers market recently and remain disappointed. Maybe my memory is the faulty object here, not the apples

Fuji or Braeburn.
Red Delicious have been crap for many years.

zoid
01-27-2014, 10:31 PM
When I was like 6 or 7 Hormel Underwood Deviled Ham was something I would beg my mom for on every trip to the grocery store.
I bought some recently and, well, perhaps some happy memories should remain memories.

Orr, G.
01-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Oh, so many. So many.

I think it's a combination of simply growing up (thus, the "kid's foods" lose their appeal) and the fact that my wife and I (thanks to my wife taking on cooking as a hobby) are making a point of eating fresh food and meals made with quality ingredients.

Thus, pretty much anything that could conceivably be labelled as "junk food" just doesn't taste good anymore. Everything from Doritos to Twinkies to frozen food to fast food, just doesn't taste like food anymore.

I used to love Cool Hwip - it tastes like plastic now. I used to love Captain Crunch - it takes like sugary sawdust now. I used to love McD's Quarter Pounders - they taste like cardboard with pepper now.

It's quicker and easier to name the junk food that I still enjoy: "microbrew" sodas, with real sugar and natural flavorings, authentic Chicago style sandwiches (hot dogs, Italian beef/sausages), Five Guys' burgers and fries, and Chicago style pizza from (only) Chicago restaurants. And that's pretty much it.

Speaking of apples - my mom would buy the cheapest apples possible, and I carried on that tradition for a while, so it wasn't until my wife and I went on this good food kick that I ever even ate an apple that tasted sweet, juicy, and had a texture that didn't remind one of sawdust.

Good food is so wonderful and delicious and so far beyond the crap that is readily available - sure, it costs us up to an extra 50% (but saves us at least that much as we don't buy prepared stuff), and takes a bit of effort - that I goggle when I think of the crap that I used to eat.

running coach
01-27-2014, 10:41 PM
When I was like 6 or 7 Hormel Underwood Deviled Ham was something I would beg my mom for on every trip to the grocery store.
I bought some recently and, well, perhaps some happy memories should remain memories.

When I was young, I was more than happy to eat liver sausage even though I hated liver.
Tried some a few years ago for the first time since I was about 11 or 12. Despite the fact that it tasted just as I remember it, I hate the stuff.

Still like the Deviled Ham, though.

Hockey Monkey
01-27-2014, 11:01 PM
All of those snack cake type things like Twinkies, Hostess Cupcakes, Zingers, Little Debbies, etc. None of them are as good as I remember. Most of the cereals I loved as a kid have little flavor at all to me now. Corn Pops used to be my favorite and now it's just sticky-sweet puffs of yellow something.

Pop Tarts are horrible, but I'll still buy them every now and again thinking that they won't be and I get disappointed every time.

I still eat Quaker instant oatmeal in Maple and Brown Sugar, but now I cook it. When I was a kid, I would only eat it with enough very hot tap water to make a very thick paste. How I thought that was delicious, I'll never know.

Sonic grilled cheese sandwiches and tater tots used to be food of the gods. The tots are still decent, but the grilled cheeses are just not the same. All the kid focused pasta products are disgusting, but I would eat that shit up. The little bitty meatballs in the spaghetti-o's were the best part and I would save them for last.

aruvqan
01-28-2014, 05:22 AM
I swear that kiddy junk food has changed.

I remember ho-hos as being a darker chocolate color, with the enrobing chocolate less waxy. Now they are sort of beige and the coating is more waxy. The same goes for the chocolate cupcakes. Near as I can figure, the white crap in the middle is still some vaguely vanilla flavored sugar bomb.

I do believe that the crust of pop tarts has changed, it seems much more crumbly, and there seems to be less filling inside. I don't think the frosting [a hard royal icing] has changed much. The flavors and colors are frequently different, the multicolored neon colored ones are something from the 90s I guess. I remember mainly fruit flavors - strawberry, blueberry, cherry and apple, and chocolate.

I was never really into spaghetti-os, but I did have some canned ravioli a few weeks back and other than the processed meat paste filling them being blander than I remember they seemed pretty much the same as back in the 90s. Not something I would choose to eat, but if that is all there is it would be reasonably palatable. Just yuccky sweet.

I buy a freeze dried line of fruits and veggies to keep on hand to cook with and I noticed on the sweet potato dices that every single recipe provided on label and online was absolutely loaded with sugar. To 2 cups of dices [rehydrated by simmering in salted water] for a *casserole* half a cup of white sugar and half a cup of brown sugar. You know the carb load on something like that? That is half a cup of dehydrated sweet potatoes and a quarter cup of *sugar* :eek: I can not imagine being locked in a bunker with a dozen kids hopped up on sugar and sweet potatoes [I know that research does not back up a sugar fueled maniac kid, but I keep seeing kids get hopped up on sugar.] Why in hell people think something like a perfectly good sweet potato needs sugar is beyond me!

Ellen Cherry
01-28-2014, 07:47 AM
For all you crisp-apple lovers, I have a tip – Honeycrisp. They are all that, and more.

Mixolydian
01-28-2014, 07:59 AM
Hamburger and Tuna Helper has been reformulated in recent years (and not for the better, either) and so have Campbell's cream soups. UGH!

No Campbell's soup tastes the same as when I was younger...same with Progresso.

kayaker
01-28-2014, 08:14 AM
For all you crisp-apple lovers, I have a tip – Honeycrisp. They are all that, and more.

Honeycrisp are great! We are lucky to live adjacent to an apple orchard. I buy a different variety each time I stop,and make blended applesauce.

california jobcase
01-28-2014, 08:16 AM
An even better tip for crisp apples- go to an orchard. Even Red Delicious apples can be crisp and juicy if you get them at an orchard.

It is worth planning a trip if there aren't any nearby.

ducati
01-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Peanut butter and jelly in one jar. (http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmps/shops/statesidecandy/images/american-smuckers-strawberry-goober-strawberry-jelly-peanut-butter-combination-510g-jar-273-p.jpg)

As a kid, I loved the whole idea of this, and would occasionally talk my mom into getting it.
Just think how much better your life could be without all that "get this jar, then that jar" nonsense.
It's one jar!

Then as a 20-something living alone, ( I'm in charge here!) I saw some at the store and had to have it. Ick. :smack: I've eaten strange things in third world countries that still had a face or ears, and this stuff made me long for that! It was like Vegemite or fresh racoon asshole; it may be edible for some, but not me.

And don't try to fool me with a sandwich in a can (http://cdn.thatsnerdalicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/candwich.jpg), either.

salinqmind
01-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Ovaltine used to be 'malty'. I guess that was too old-fashioned, now its like a blah cocoa.

Big Mac at McDonalds tasted pretty awful, I haven't had one in decades and either it, or I, changed.

Soylent Juicy
01-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Thus, pretty much anything that could conceivably be labelled as "junk food" just doesn't taste good anymore. Everything from Doritos to Twinkies to frozen food to fast food, just doesn't taste like food anymore.

This. I can't believe all the crap I ate before I grew up and started taking care of myself.

Mine would be Campbell's Chicken Noodle-O's. I LOVED them as a little kid. One day when I was in my 30's I bought a can out of curiosity and I couldn't even eat it. It was SO SALTY I had to throw it out and be hungry.

pulykamell
01-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Peanut butter and jelly in one jar. (http://www.americansweets.co.uk/ekmps/shops/statesidecandy/images/american-smuckers-strawberry-goober-strawberry-jelly-peanut-butter-combination-510g-jar-273-p.jpg)

Oh, man, I fondly remember this stuff. Goober Grape is the one I always got. I've revisted the product some time in the last decade and have had a similar experience to you. It wasn't quite that bad, but that peanut butter was pretty funky, and no way would I buy it as an adult.

And don't try to fool me with a sandwich in a can (http://cdn.thatsnerdalicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/candwich.jpg), either.

The heck? I don't even know why such a thing exists.

pulykamell
01-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Ovaltine used to be 'malty'. I guess that was too old-fashioned, now its like a blah cocoa.

Don't they sell different varieties of it, one malted flavor, one not? At least that's how I remember it, there was a malt flavor that came in a lighter brown jar and a chocolate flavor that came in a darker brown jar. Lemme see what Google brings me....

Hmm...I might have the colors wrong. Maybe it was yellow for the malted, and then orange/brown for the chocolate. Anyhow, current packaging classic malt flavor (http://www.iherb.com/Ovaltine-Classic-Malt-Mix-Caffeine-Free-12-oz-340-g/35938), chocolate malt flavor (http://www.iherb.com/Ovaltine-Chocolate-Malt-Mix-12-oz-340-g/35937#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=ovaltine&rc=3&sr=null&ic=1), and rich chocolate (http://www.iherb.com/Ovaltine-Rich-Chocolate-Mix-12-oz-340-g/35939#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=ovaltine&rc=3&sr=null&ic=2).

I can't remember if as a kid they had both those chocolate flavors or not, but there were definitely at least a malt flavor and a chocolate-type flavor.

ETA: Looking at the Wikipedia page, it does say that there have been various formulations, and that the formulations even differ around the world. It looks like the plain malt version is just plain malt with no cocoa. Looking at the ingredients for the "classic malt" mix, that does seem to be the case. The chocolate malt is a mix of chocolate and malt (heavier on the cocoa), and the rich chocolate has no malt. So, theoretically you could "roll your own" Ovaltine and control your malt and chocolate levels as you like them. Me? I've always liked the malt version.

aruvqan
01-28-2014, 10:32 AM
An even better tip for crisp apples- go to an orchard. Even Red Delicious apples can be crisp and juicy if you get them at an orchard.

It is worth planning a trip if there aren't any nearby.
I was just reading about 'snow apples' over on rocketnews - apparently apple growers on the northern island bury crates of apples in snow for several months, they are claiming it improves the flavor and texture of the apples. I was thinking of trying it sometime, it might make an interesting difference from the way apples are stored here [in a neutral gas controlled temperature environment]. Purportedly the higher humidity cold is what does the trick.

KneadToKnow
01-28-2014, 10:42 AM
My opinion of Red Delicious apples has for a long time been, "They're half right."

LonghornDave
01-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Fuji or Braeburn.
Red Delicious have been crap for many years.

Honeycrisp is where it's at.

jrsone
01-28-2014, 11:12 AM
I've heard your tastes change every 7 years. Is there any truth to that?

I don't care for canned pasta I still like the little meat balls in Spaghetti-O's but the past themselves, and Chef Boyardee....I can't do it except on rare occasions. Very rare.

Fast food in general, I loved it as a kid, I still eat it on occasion as an adult but nothing seems to taste like it did. I remember Long John Silvers in particular tasting amazing when I was a kid, and Mcdonalds fries...KFC. Now it's..blah. Maybe i've just just had my fill. I've cut back a lot. I'm sure i'll appreciate those places more when I don't eat there for months and months.

kath94
01-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Both "Golden Delicious" and "Red Delicious" applies are lies. LIES!

As a 50-year-old adult I discovered Honeycrisp. I can't believe I missed out on these for so long!

I've recently been recommended to try Pink Lady. Any opinions here?

Oh, and canned Spaghetti-os, Chef-boy-r-dee Ravioli, and Deviled Ham are disappointments. I was never really "in" to Pop Tarts, and having tried one recently I figured I was just a savvy kid. Ick.

interface2x
01-28-2014, 12:30 PM
The heck? I don't even know why such a thing exists.While the previously posted image looks to be about as disgusting a thing I could imagine, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Candwich_container_and_contents.jpg) picture on Wikipedia makes it look barely more palatable. Or at least more imaginable.

pulykamell
01-28-2014, 12:37 PM
While the previously posted image looks to be about as disgusting a thing I could imagine, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Candwich_container_and_contents.jpg) picture on Wikipedia makes it look barely more palatable. Or at least more imaginable.

That's not that bad. Don't understand why they had to put it in a can, though. Marketing gimmick, I guess.

At any rate, it sure beats whole-chicken-in-a-can. (http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/04/whole-chicken-in-a-can-taste-test.html)

Snickers
01-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Honeycrisps, while delicious (and you should thank Minnesota for creating them for you), are rather sweet. (It's right there in the name! Honey!) If you're looking for a tart apple, honeycrisps might disappoint.

Antigen
01-28-2014, 12:43 PM
A little part of me died when they changed the Chips Ahoy recipe.

duffer
01-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Cream of Wheat. When I was a kid my grandma would make it and put some extra butter and milk on the finished product. I couldn't get enough of it! Recently I bought a box for my daughter, got all excited cooking it up, and watched her face droop as she tasted it. It was horrible. Now, it was the instant kind, but instant can't be THAT far off. Very disappointed.

Sattua
01-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Oh, I remember that. Used to love it, too. Didn't realize they still made it. What was it they changed because of the labeling laws?

I'm pretty sure the reduced the fat, and increased the cinnamon and sugar to compensate. It has a thin, harsh, unsatisfying flavor compared to the old recipe.

Someone asked if tastes change every seven years--I don't know about that specifically but tastes certainly do change as an adult. The year I was 30 I suddenly lost my ability to tolerate lots of sugar at one time.

kayaker
01-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Honeycrisps, while delicious (and you should thank Minnesota for creating them for you), are rather sweet. (It's right there in the name! Honey!) If you're looking for a tart apple, honeycrisps might disappoint.

Core, peel, and chop 6 Honeycrisps, 6 Granny Smiths, and a cinnamon stick. Put in crock-pot on "low" when you go to bed. In the morning, applesauce!

duffer
01-28-2014, 01:27 PM
And what the hell ever happened to my Crispy Wheaties and Raisins? Much better than Raisin Bran and they had to go add "clusters". *sigh*

california jobcase
01-28-2014, 01:34 PM
There is an apple called King David. It is apple crack to me- crisp, juicy, sweet, tart- as close to sour apple candy flavor as I've found in any apple. They still taste the same. Too bad I know of one orchard in central IN that has them, and I live in south GA.

erysichthon
01-28-2014, 01:39 PM
Quisp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quisp), my favorite cereal when I was eight years old. Quaker Oats revived the brand recently, and I grabbed it the moment I spotted it on the shelf. Ugh. It's roughly 1,000 times sweeter than I remembered; it tastes like it could give diabetes to a rhinoceros.

Jeff Lichtman
01-28-2014, 01:45 PM

Pink Lady is one of my favorites. It's crisp, juicy and tart. You might not like it if you prefer a sweet apple. The only problem I've found with the Pink Lady is that they bruise easily, so you have to be careful when selecting them.

BTW, Cripps Pink is the same as Pink Lady.

llcoolbj77
01-28-2014, 01:46 PM

They are lovely, tart, crips, slightly sweet, thin tight skin... just the perfect apple, in my mind. My sister introduced me to them. My nephews get them sliced (with a little fresh lemon juice squirted over them) in their lunch boxes. I understand that they are used for serious bartering at school. Wil's mom's apples fetch a high price at Montessori Middle School of Lexington, apparently.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

xizor
01-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Mine would be Campbell's Chicken Noodle-O's. I LOVED them as a little kid. One day when I was in my 30's I bought a can out of curiosity and I couldn't even eat it. It was SO SALTY I had to throw it out and be hungry.

I second this. There is no way I can even eat the low sodium versions. They all taste like salt water and nothing else.

Morbo
01-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Jell-O. Completely inedible to me now. Unless it's full of Everclear.

Iggins
01-28-2014, 02:24 PM
When they were first introduced, the Whatchamacallit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatchamacallit_(candy)) candy bars were great, but the recipe changes have made it pretty terrible.

pulykamell
01-28-2014, 02:35 PM
When they were first introduced, the Whatchamacallit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatchamacallit_(candy)) candy bars were great, but the recipe changes have made it pretty terrible.

Oh, man, those used to be one of my favorites, but I haven't had it in years. Sounds like I should probably leave my fond memories be.

Dale Sams
01-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Nowadays, I'll eat anything my wife makes except for guacamole. But I didn't start eating anymore than a typical 15 year old would until I was around 32. Everything still tastes the same, but my taste buds got bored with the textures and flavors of fast food.

I'll eat anything now. Sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli.

Dr. Strangelove
01-28-2014, 04:28 PM
McDonalds fries are still pretty good, but it was never quite the same after they switched from being fried in beef tallow.

El_Kabong
01-28-2014, 04:42 PM
I used to like Tasty Wheat, but now it just seems like eating a bowl of snot. Not sure why that is.

Ok, for reals: I'm another one who's noticed that Wendy's hamburgers aren't what they used to be. I recall that a couple of years ago they reformulated the ground beef, and now the texture and taste seem a bit...off.

Around the same time they changed the fries as well, and I actually liked the original version better, so I don't go there much any more.

Likewise for Long John Silver. When the chain first got going, I'd eat there at least twice a week. Somewhere on the way, however, the fish became more and more greasy, and the fried batter began to taste more and more like they hadn't replaced the cooking oil in decades. About once every six months I'll stop in and renew my disgust for another six months.

aruvqan
01-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Cream of Wheat. When I was a kid my grandma would make it and put some extra butter and milk on the finished product. I couldn't get enough of it! Recently I bought a box for my daughter, got all excited cooking it up, and watched her face droop as she tasted it. It was horrible. Now, it was the instant kind, but instant can't be THAT far off. Very disappointed.
Hm, it may depend on how you made it. IMHO it needs a tiny bit of salt to tweak the taste buds into feeling like there is more flavor than there actually is.

As best I remember the way my Mom made it was to cook it in milk with a pinch of salt, and then add the butter and sugar after cooking. mrAru [who admittedly likes his fats and sugars] cooks it in milk with a dash of salt, and he adds half and half or cream and [more] butter. If there are leftovers, he lets it set up and then fries it like polenta later as a snack or the next morning as part of breakfast. I did have a friend decide to cook it like grits and made it with milk and added some cheddar cheese and a fried egg, it was interesting.

nearwildheaven
01-28-2014, 06:01 PM
That's not that bad. Don't understand why they had to put it in a can, though. Marketing gimmick, I guess.

At any rate, it sure beats whole-chicken-in-a-can. (http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/04/whole-chicken-in-a-can-taste-test.html)

I thought one of my friends was making this up when she said her mother purchased this for her chicken and noodles. She wasn't.

nearwildheaven
01-28-2014, 06:09 PM

Why can't someone make a sandwich and put it into a Tupperware or other rigid container? I bet these things aren't cheap, either.

When I saw this link, I thought it might be to "Cheeseburger In A Can" which doesn't sound very appetizing either.

I haven't seen any reference to Spam in this thread (the food, not the web posts). Years ago, I read in a zine that someone thought "that jellied shit that surrounds it looks like alien jizm". :p

pulykamell
01-28-2014, 06:12 PM
I thought one of my friends was making this up when she said her mother purchased this for her chicken and noodles. She wasn't.

I have to say, as revolted as I am by the concept, I am just as much intrigued. I want some chicken in a can!

nearwildheaven
01-28-2014, 06:15 PM
It's probably not much different from chicken in a smaller can, except that I'm pretty sure this still has all the bones in it, and it's in a bigger can too.

ads95
01-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Quaker Maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal. Are it frequently my whole life. A year or two ago they changed it drastically. Now I find it vile.

Ellen Cherry
01-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Quaker Maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal. Are it frequently my whole life. A year or two ago they changed it drastically. Now I find it vile.

I still eat it periodically at work, but I mix it with some plain quick oats. It cuts the sugar and makes it a lot more manageable. But for my money cinnamon roll's the most delicious flavor.

duffer
01-28-2014, 08:44 PM
McDonalds fries are still pretty good, but it was never quite the same after they switched from being fried in beef tallow.

How in hell could I have forgotten this one?!?

running coach
01-28-2014, 09:04 PM
I used to like Tasty Wheat, but now it just seems like eating a bowl of snot. Not sure why that is.

The file is corrupted. You have to wait for the system to reset. Watch for a black cat. ;)

Soylent Juicy
01-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Kool-Ade or Freshie. Remember those powder crystals that you mixed with a cup (!!) of sugar and water? We lived on that stuff as kids. Always had the "Kool-Ade mustache." I was offered a glass many years ago and nearly puked from the sweetness.

jrsone
01-29-2014, 10:33 AM
I'll mention another one which people look at me like I'm crazy for and that's Mcdonald's McNuggets. I actually preffered the nuggets they had before they switched to all white meat. They just had a better flavor to me. I dunno.

pulykamell
01-29-2014, 11:10 AM
I'll mention another one which people look at me like I'm crazy for and that's Mcdonald's McNuggets. I actually preffered the nuggets they had before they switched to all white meat. They just had a better flavor to me. I dunno.

Oh, that's a good one. I totally agree with you. The McDonald's fries/beef tallow is one that I expected to show up, but I don't remember the beef tallow fries. I just know that I always liked McDonald's fries and still do (for one particularly style of fries. Overall, I prefer the Five Guys skin-on style.)

jrsone
01-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Oh, that's a good one. I totally agree with you. The McDonald's fries/beef tallow is one that I expected to show up, but I don't remember the beef tallow fries. I just know that I always liked McDonald's fries and still do (for one particularly style of fries. Overall, I prefer the Five Guys skin-on style.)

Five Guys is wonderful. There is one about 30-45 minutes from here and that's close enough. Any closer and that would be a problem.

No umlaut for U
01-29-2014, 03:59 PM

Same here. Granny Smith apples tasted a little like the apples of my youth, but they wrecked those around 2003. A couple of years ago I found some orchard apples sold by the man who grew them in northern Wisconsin, and they were delicious. I just can't remember the cultivar. IIRC, they had pinkish red skin with a little striping, and were rounder than most common apples. They were also quite small. Delicious!

california jobcase
01-30-2014, 12:11 AM
Good luck with apple seeds. Seedling apples are never the same as the parent tree. Getting a good apple tree from seed is a genetic longshot.

Jeff Lichtman
01-30-2014, 12:53 AM
I agree about growing apple trees from seed - you don't know what you'll get. You'd be better off buying a seedling from a nursery. There are many companies that sell seedlings by mail order. If you do this, be sure to get one that will do well in your area. Study the cultural requirements of the varieties you're interested in. Most varieties are not self-pollinating, which means you'd have to get two types of trees that bloom at the same time. Different varieties have different chill requirements (the amount of cold weather they need in winter to bear fruit). If you decide to do this, do your research or you will probably be disappointed in your results.

Dorjän
01-30-2014, 10:29 AM

Oh yes, yes it can. Instant CoW and Instant Grits don't even come close to the taste/texture of the real thing.

GreenElf
01-30-2014, 11:09 AM
Most of the candy I liked as a child now consist mainly of corn syrup.

Essured
01-31-2014, 02:45 AM
Thanks for that info Jeff!

I've been on a bit of a planting frenzy lately (three orange, a second lemon, a tangelo, a nashi and two mandarin saplings have recently been planted in my yard) and I was tossing up whether to plant some red or some green apples first. So your timing couldn't be better! :)

Soylent Juicy
01-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Then there's the opposite: Foods that you hated as a kid but like now.

Mine:
Orange juice. HATED it as a child. One day in high school I had a bottle and loved it.

Tomato soup. Wouldn't go near it as a kid. It's okay now.

But as for green peas - they're still a big NOPE.

burpo the wonder mutt
02-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Forgive me for sounding like an old fuddy-duddy, but Hershey's chocolate (almost anything) is the worst. If you put a morsel in your mouth and let it dissolve--IT BURNS! And like Woody Allen says, And such small portions, too.

Surbey
02-05-2014, 08:19 PM

Go, get them now.

the_diego
02-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Beluga caviar. There WAS a 24-year gap between tastings. And this time it was with DP champagne and not just beer.

BrotherCadfael
02-06-2014, 08:49 AM
The thread title immediately reminded me of an old Rush Limbaugh fake commercial. (Yes, even though it is Rush, it *is* funny):

Whiny Little Bobby: Mom, the tuna doesn't taste as good as it used to.

Narrator: Millions of Americans feel the same way little Bobby does, ever since companies came out with dolphin-free tuna.

Bobby: The tuna doesn't taste as good as it used to.

Narrator: Luckily, not every company shamelessly bends over and drops their pants for each whiny special interest group that comes along and complains about something. When animal rights activists pressured Weemsco into eliminating the dolphin in our tuna, we politely said 'pfft. Get a life!' Weemsco Tuna has the great dolphin flavor you grew up with. In fact, it's chock full of dolphin because now there's more for us to use. Weemsco Tuna tastes great because it's a secret blend of tuna, dolphin, shark, medical waste, and dead sea turtles who choked on deflated helium balloons.

Bobby: The tuna doesn't taste as good as it used to.

Mother: But this is Weemsco Tuna, honey. Try it!

Bobby: Mmmmmm! "a secret blend of tuna, dolphin, shark, medical waste, and dead sea turtles who choked on deflated helium balloons" :D

Dendarii Dame
02-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Muenster cheese.

Stormcrow
02-06-2014, 03:33 PM

Another vote for Honeycrisp apples - my mom (89 years old) said they tasted like "apples used to taste like." I can't judge - I used to always eat red delicious and granny smiths - but I do really like honeycrisps.

For me, the one that was a disappointment recently was Nabisco Graham Crackers. The new ones taste very cardboard-y to me. I think it's a reformulation rather than a change of tastes on my part. I recently got my hands on some Cote d'Or chocolate after not having had any since the early 80's and it was eerie to me how it instantly tasted identical, even after more than three decades.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.