PDA

View Full Version : Actors who played many nationalities

TV time
01-29-2014, 05:21 PM
The guy that played the most had to be Anthony Quinn.

Off the top of my head I can name about eight that the Mexican/American actor portrayed.

Arab -- Lawrence of Arabia
Mexican - Viva Zapata
Greek - Zorba the Greek
Italian - The Salamander
Native American - They Died with Their Boots on
Spanish - Seven Cities of Gold
North African - Road to Morocco
Filippino - Back to Bataan
French - Lust for Life
American - The Happening (the first one)
(Yes, I know he doubled or tripled with many of these)

I also remember him playing at least two Asians, a Polynesian and I think a couple of South Americans but I am not sure.

I imagine there were a number of other actors who qualify with at least five, but who are they?

Sefton
01-29-2014, 06:13 PM
My first thought was Jürgen Prochnow, who has played good guys and bad guys of every nationality. Let's see...

German -- Das Boot
Hungarian -- The Fall
Russian -- The Fourth War
Kazakhstani -- Air Force One
Calladan -- Dune
Scottish -- Macbeth
American -- In the Mouth of Madness
British -- Robin Hood
French -- The Da Vinci Code

That's all I can come up with for now.

Dale Sams
01-29-2014, 06:17 PM

Off the top of my head I can name about eight that the Mexican/American actor portrayed.

Mexican - Viva Zapata
Greek - Zorba the Greek
Italian - The Salamander
French - Lust for Life

I also remember him playing at least two Asians, a Polynesian and I think a couple of South Americans but I am not sure.

I imagine there were a number of other actors who qualify with at least five, but who are they?

And he played Barabbas

garygnu
01-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Peter Stormare has played German, French, Italian, Russian, Swedish, and I'm sure plenty of other assorted European nationalities. I don't have the time to document them all.

Ethilrist
01-29-2014, 06:20 PM
My first thought was Erick Avari. Not sure what he's played in most of his movies; I imagine they're mostly "various middle-eastern" (it's a lot harder to figure out now that he's playing characters with names, rather than "Libyan Ambassador"), but:

Greek: Daredevil
Indian: Heroes
Alien: Stargate
Alien: Star Trek: Enterprise
Ape: Planet of the Apes
Pakistan: The West Wing
Egyptian: The Mummy
Bajoran: Star Trek: DS9
Libya: Seaquest
Alien: Star Trek: Next Generation
French: Nothing Lasts Forever

nevadaexile
01-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Cliff Curtis, an ethnically Maori New Zealander has portrayed:

Arabs - Three Kings, Crossing Over
Latinos - Training Day, Blow
East Indians - A Thousand Words
Other Polynesians - Rapa Nui
Central Asians -Traffic

Reference

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0193295/

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-29-2014, 06:25 PM
To quote me in another thread: in between famously playing Khan Singh on the small screen and the big screen, Ricardo Montalban got an Emmy for playing the other kind of Indian in How The West Was Won after passing himself off as Japanese in the Oscar-winning Sayonara and, apparently, getting nominated for a Tony playing a black dude in Jamaica. He'd play an Arab. He'd play a Frenchman. Greek? Check. Mexican? Of course.

thelurkinghorror
01-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Ben Kingsley has to win some award.

Khan was supposed to be a mutt, and weren't the Stargate guys essentially human, except for the parasites? Avari is of course one of the few Parsi semi-famous people.

Rick Kitchen
01-29-2014, 06:46 PM

Central Asians -Traffic

6- Maori in Whalerider and Genesis
7-Generic American in the TV series Missing
8-Something Slavic as Reuben Palchuk in the TV series Trauma
9-Nonspecific cave man in 10,000 BC

Dale Sams
01-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Gary Oldman:

English
American
Transylvanian
Danish (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead)
Russian

Female is probably Meryl Streep

Aspidistra
01-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Ben Kingsley has to win some award.

Khan was supposed to be a mutt, and weren't the Stargate guys essentially human, except for the parasites? Avari is of course one of the few Parsi semi-famous people.

Looking at IMDB I can see for Kingsley:

English
French
Italian
Polish
Greek
German
Austrian
Indian
Persian
Israeli

I'm probably missing some there.

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-29-2014, 07:08 PM
Khan was supposed to be a mutt

Cite?

On the show, Lieutenant McGivers takes one look at the guy and figures him for the Northern India area -- probably a Sikh, she adds. I don't recall her offering any other comments on the matter; she just paints a turban-wearing Khan Singh while nobody else comments on the guy's ethnicity.

nevadaexile
01-29-2014, 07:16 PM

Central Asians -Traffic

6- Maori in Whalerider and Genesis
7-Generic American in the TV series Missing
8-Something Slavic as Reuben Palchuk in the TV series Trauma
9-Nonspecific cave man in 10,000 BC

I stated that he IS ethnically Maori so he really isn't portraying something that he already is when he is portraying a Maori.

ElvisL1ves
01-29-2014, 07:32 PM
Yul Brynner:

American white guy (Magnificent Seven)
Italian (Death Rage)
Robot (Futureworld, Westworld)
Russian (The Serpent)
Thai (The King and I)
Mexican (Adios Sabata)
French (The Madwoman of Chaillot)
Polish (Romance of a Horsethief)
Argentinian (The Light at the Edge of the World)
Bosnian (The Battle of Neretva)
Indian (The Long Duel)
German (Triple Cross)
Israeli (Cast a Giant Shadow)
Japanese (Flight from Ashiya)
Native American (Kings of the Sun)
Ukrainian (Taras Bulba)
Arab (Escape from Zahrain)
Nubian (Solomon and Sheba)
Egyptian (The Ten Commandments)

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Tony Shalhoub played Lebanese-American Frank Haddad in The Siege after playing an Italian immigrant on Wings and a Russian immigrant in Paulie before getting his big break as Adrian Monk, who wiki sez is of Welsh ancestry; just make sure to factor in all the times he played someone named "Jorge" or "Sanz," and then add a bonus point for playing Kwan playing Chen on GalaxyQuest.

cjepson
01-29-2014, 08:10 PM
I'm guessing Eli Wallach might make the list, but I don't know his career well enough to provide details.

ZipperJJ
01-29-2014, 09:01 PM
I first saw Carlo Rota playing a Lebanese(?) Muslim guy on Little Mosque on the Prairie and then saw him on 24 as a guy named O'Brian. I see in his credit he's also been a Russian, but I haven't seen too many of his other works to be able to give a full list. Anyone? (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0744690/?ref_=tt_cl_t8)

Peanuthead
01-29-2014, 09:36 PM

Mexican - Viva Zapata
Greek - Zorba the Greek
Italian - The Salamander
French - Lust for Life

And I'll add one more. He played an Eskimo in The Savage Innocents. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053244/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Take a look at Leonard Nimoy's non-Spock credits some time: Chief Black Hawk, Karlo Rozwadowski, Nino Baselicce, Indio Ramirez, and on through from Mippipopolous to Mermelstein: he's a Van Gogh, he's a Kennedy; he's Werner, he's Vladeck; he's playing a Turkish role as Achmet, or he's billed simply as "evil Moroccan magician".

(And that's not even counting his work on MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, where there's no episode unless he's believable as a Japanese kabuki performer or whatever.)

thelurkinghorror
01-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Cite?

On the show, Lieutenant McGivers takes one look at the guy and figures him for the Northern India area -- probably a Sikh, she adds. I don't recall her offering any other comments on the matter; she just paints a turban-wearing Khan Singh while nobody else comments on the guy's ethnicity.
No? I don't speak Trek. I got the impression that some selective breeding or gene combination occurred, and I doubt they'd go out of their way to only pick one ethnicity. But I'll note that maybe they messed with embryos, and that WoK/other sources weren't as explicit. It also goes with the multiracial future (Japanese and Filipino(?) named Sulu).

Siam Sam
01-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Yul Brynner:

Thai (The King and I)

Nitpick: That was Siamese.

Colibri
01-29-2014, 10:44 PM

Mexican - Viva Zapata
Greek - Zorba the Greek
Italian - The Salamander
French - Lust for Life
(Yes, I know he doubled or tripled with many of these) are they?

And he played Barabbas

And I'll add one more. He played an Eskimo in The Savage Innocents. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053244/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

The latter being famously referenced by Bob Dylan as "Quinn the Eskimo."

In addition to Jewish and Eskimo, we also have:

Cuban - The Old Man and the Sea (1990 TV movie)
Basque - The Passage (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079700/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_38)
Hun - Attila (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046731/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_95)
Portuguese - The World in His Arms (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045339/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_108)
Chinese - China Sky (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037593/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_125)
Ukrainian - The Shoes of the Fisherman
Mongol - Marco the Magnificent (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059429/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_67)
Zakharstani (Afghan) - Caravans (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077296/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_40)
Indonesian - East of Sumatra (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045716/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_102)
Libyan - The Lion of the Desert (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081059/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_37)

Claverhouse
01-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Tony Shalhoub played Lebanese-American Frank Haddad in The Siege after playing an Italian immigrant on Wings and a Russian immigrant in Paulie before getting his big break as Adrian Monk, who wiki sez is of Welsh ancestry; just make sure to factor in all the times he played someone named "Jorge" or "Sanz," and then add a bonus point for playing Kwan playing Chen on GalaxyQuest.

And an Indian ( hindu accent, at least ) in Frasier, where the latter sets his newspaper stall alight.

Personally, I always thought Lee Van Cleef, of Dutch parentage, had features which could be of any nationality; although I don't know if he played many.

I vaguely remember him in some business thriller where he played a villainous farming co-op person.

Siam Sam
01-30-2014, 12:23 AM
Naveen Andrews (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004710/?ref_=tt_cl_t2) of Lost seems to be the go-to guy to play any character from West Asia. (His actual nationality? British, born and raised. Or English specifically, I guess.)

LawMonkey
01-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Kinda sorta to the left of, but I can't resist: Gina Bellman played someone playing a fairly decent number of different nationalities on Leverage. Her skin tone and facial features are such that she can kinda sorta pass for a variety of European descents with the right accent.

Ellis Aponte Jr.
01-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Peter Sellers

English - many films
French - Pink Panther series
Italian - After the Fox
Spanish - The Bobo
German - Dr. Strangelove
American - Dr. Strangelove, Being There, others
Chinese - Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu, Murder By Death
Indian - The Millionairess, The Party
Austrian (?) - What's New, Pussycat?
er...Ruritanian - The Prisoner of Zenda

and probably others...

Robot Arm
01-30-2014, 10:14 AM
Peter Sellers deserves a mention.

French (the "Pink Panther" series)
American (Dr. Strangelove)
Indian (The Party)
Ruritanian (The Prisoner of Zenda)
German (Dr. Strangelove)
Chinese (Murder By Death)
Fenwickian (The Mouse That Roared)
English (Dr. Strangelove)

ETA: Bugger.

ETA2: But Ellis forgot Fenwickian.

CalMeacham
01-30-2014, 10:19 AM
The TV version of Anthony Quinn/Yul Brynner as the go-to all-purpose Ethnic is Michael Ansara (and also in the movies)

By birth Syrian, he has played

Chinese (Terry and the Pirates)
Arabs (too many times to count)
American Indians (ditto)
Sikh (Smuggler's Island)
Russian (the Diplomat)
Roman (Julius Cassar)
Babylonian (Belshazzar)
Jewish (The Robe)
Vietnamese (Soldier of Fortune)
Egyptian (Ten Commandments, and maybe Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy)
Hispanic (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Rawhide)
Somebody Fututristic (Outer Limits)
Klingon (Star Trek, more than once)
Other Alien (Lost in Space)
German (Cowboy in Africa)

Robot Arm
01-30-2014, 10:24 AM
If we're including television, Mark Lenard has played a Vulcan, a Klingon, a Romulan, and a gorilla.

Siam Sam
01-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Peter Ustinov is probably up there somewhere.

kayaker
01-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Female is probably Meryl Streep

What ethnicity was Barbara Eden supposed to represent in I Dream of Jeanie?:D

Siam Sam
01-30-2014, 10:33 AM

Taleban! :eek:

silenus
01-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Djinn

AK84
01-30-2014, 10:34 AM
Naveen Andrews (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004710/?ref_=tt_cl_t2) of Lost seems to be the go-to guy to play any character from West Asia. (His actual nationality? British, born and raised. Or English specifically, I guess.)

Which is really really jarring as he has a face which screams "Tamil". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_people)

Slithy Tove
01-30-2014, 10:41 AM

Well, since you asked, The Ottomans placed a premium on fair-skinned Circissian women. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circassian_beauties) The long decline of the Empire was begun with the intrigues of an Ukranian woman Roxelana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roxelana), and the Turks were jonesing for blondes so much that they raided Iceland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Abductions)

Conversely, although they castrated both white and Blacks, only African eunuchs were allowed to guard the women in the harem.

CalMeacham
01-30-2014, 10:42 AM

Michael Ansara, who I listed, was her husband, and guest starred twice on her series, once as a djinn, and once as a Hawaiian

Ellis Aponte Jr.
01-30-2014, 10:43 AM

She was from Baghdad, but from ancient times, so not Iraqi

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Charlton Heston was El Cid in El Cid and Judah Ben-Hur in Ben-Hur and Togrul in Genghis Khan and Michelangelo Buonarroti in The Agony And The Ecstasy and Mike Vargas in Touch Of Evil, plus Sherlock Holmes in disguise as a Chinaman in The Crucifer Of Blood, which is pretty good for a guy who preferred to play Macbeth or Marc Antony but never turned down a paycheck as Josef Mengele or Cardinal Richelieu after making his on-screen debut as Peer Gynt.

Wolf333
01-30-2014, 10:55 AM
My first thought was Jürgen Prochnow, who has played good guys and bad guys of every nationality. Let's see...

German -- Das Boot
Hungarian -- The Fall
Russian -- The Fourth War
Kazakhstani -- Air Force One
Calladan -- Dune
Scottish -- Macbeth
American -- In the Mouth of Madness
British -- Robin Hood
French -- The Da Vinci Code

That's all I can come up with for now.

He was a roman in The Seventh Sign.

Zeldar
01-30-2014, 11:00 AM
It might surprise some that Marlon Brando had a wide variety of nationalities in his repertoire.

kunilou
01-30-2014, 11:06 AM
This list would not be complete without the all-purpose, all-ethnic Rita Moreno. While most of the time her nationality is just "exotic" it looks like she can plausibly claim to have played:

Malayan
Tahitian
Mexican
Native Canadian
Egyptian
Brazilian
Native American
Siamese
French
Indian
Israeli
Puerto Rican
Philipino
Italian

Gyrate
01-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Tony Shalhoub played Lebanese-American Frank Haddad in The Siege after playing an Italian immigrant on Wings and a Russian immigrant in Paulie before getting his big break as Adrian Monk, who wiki sez is of Welsh ancestry; just make sure to factor in all the times he played someone named "Jorge" or "Sanz," and then add a bonus point for playing Kwan playing Chen on GalaxyQuest.They talked about his tendency to be cast as "ambiguous ethnic guy" with him on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. The kicker was that at school, as the darkest kid there, he actually got cast as the lead in Othello. :smack:

I'm pretty sure John Leguizamo has a lengthy list of ethnic roles, although looking at his Wiki page it's not surprising:John Leguizamo was born in Bogotá, Colombia, to Alberto and Luz Leguizamo. According to Leguizamo, his paternal grandfather was of Puerto Rican and Italian descent and his maternal grandfather was Lebanese. Leguizamo has also described himself as being of Amerindian and Mestizo heritage.

Mrs. Cake
01-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Omar Sharif is way up there as well. No time to do all the research right now, but a quick look at the characters on his IMDB page indicates:
Egyptian
Russian
Greek
Italian
German
French
Argentinian
Indian
Chinese (?)
Various flavors of Arab
American

Probably a bunch more - guessing there is some Syrian & Turkish in there.

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Sean Connery of course played a Russian sub commander and an Irish-American cop with the same accent he used as Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez, because (a) he doesn't give a crap, and, (b) honestly, he doesn't need to: whether he's playing an Arab diplomat or a Greek king, you're always thinking holy crap, this dude was 007 back when that meant dressing up as a Japanese fisherman!

thelurkinghorror
01-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Rob Schneider:

Generic white
Asian/Chinese
Indian
Italian
Russian
Hawaiian(?)
Martian
Animal
Woman
Stapler
Carrot
Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb

And within one movie there is American actor Robert Downey Jr. playing Australian actor Kirk Lazarus playing African American Sergeant Lincoln Osiris playing a SE Asian "Lead Farmer."

Dallas Jones
01-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Michael Ansara, who I listed, was her husband, and guest starred twice on her series, once as a djinn, and once as a Hawaiian

She was also in the movie version of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" with him. It was on TV at a local bar a few weeks ago.

We got a big laugh at the final scene where the Seaview is on the surface and the main characters go out and stand on the deck, and here comes Barbara Eden in some pointy spiked high heels, and is walking, on the top of a submarine, in the middle of the ocean.

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Cesar Romero was always up for playing Lucky Luciano, or Sheikh Hameel Habib, or Esteban de la Cruz, or Peter Stavros, or Rama Singh, or Willie Wetzchahofsky, or Marquis Andre de Lage, or Count Dracula, or -- Steve McQuinn.

Blank Slate
01-30-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm guessing Eli Wallach might make the list, but I don't know his career well enough to provide details.

Wow, Wallach is 98. I don't know most of the movies in his imdb listing, (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0908919/) but we can start with some of the easy ones:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Mexican (Tuco)

Genghis Khan Persian? (The Shah of Khwarezm)

The Adventures of Gerard Corsican/French (Napoleon)

Crazy Joe Sicilian

He played a lot of Italians and rabbis.

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-30-2014, 02:36 PM
From a quick look at IMDB, Fernando Lamas played D'Artagnan, and El Greco, and Salim Ibn Hydari, and Ramon de Vega, and Friedrich 'Fritz' Bhaer, and Antonio Franco, and Conrad Stillman, and Nico Patrai.

astorian
01-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Even John Wayne played a number of ethnicities, always in his same voice.

American - The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Irish - The Quiet Man (he was supposed to have been born in Ireland, to have grown up in the USA, and to have returned)

Mongolian - The Conqueror

German - The Sea Chase

Roman - The Greatest Story Ever Told

astorian
01-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Well, since someone mentioned Meryl Streep...

English inThe Iron Lady

Danish in Out of Africa

Polish in Sophie's Choice

Australian in Cry in the Dark (Dingos ate my baby!)

Irish in Dancing at Lughnasa

Italian in Bridges of Madison County

American in Silkwood

Superdude
01-30-2014, 02:56 PM
Daniel Day-Lewis has played British, American, Irish, Italian, Czech, Scottish, and probably more I can't think of at the moment.

astorian
01-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Alec Guinness

English - Bridge on the River Kwai

Indian in A Passage to India

Czech - Kafka

Russian in Dr. Zhivago

Frenchman - The Scapegoat

Austrian Jew in Lovesick (Sigmund Freud)

Austrian Gentile - Hitler: The Last 10 Days (Hitler)

Italian - Brother Sun, Sister Moon (Pope Innocent III)

German - Situation Hopeless, But Not Serious

Roman - Fall of the Roman Empire (Marcus Aurelius)

Scotsman - Cromwell (King Charles I)

Arab - Lawrence of Arabia

Japanese - A Majority of One

Namkcalb
01-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Looking at IMDB I can see for Kingsley:

English
French
Italian
Polish
Greek
German
Austrian
Indian
Persian
Israeli

I'm probably missing some there.
He played a half-Maori guy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game_%28film%29) as well

StGermain
01-30-2014, 04:04 PM

While he's British, his ancestry is Indian. He was born in England but both of his parents are from Kerala, India. From IMDB: Born Naveen William Sidney Andrews in London, England of Indian origin on January 17, 1969 and Naveen (which means "new" in Hindi) .

StG

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-30-2014, 04:07 PM
They talked about his tendency to be cast as "ambiguous ethnic guy" with him on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. The kicker was that at school, as the darkest kid there, he actually got cast as the lead in Othello. :smack:

Brings to mind Olivier, who after playing Othello on the big screen was Neil Diamond's father the rabbi ("It's not toff enoff, beink a Choo?"), and the Mahdi in Khartoum, and Douglas MacArthur in Inchon, and Piotr Ilyich Kamenev in The Shoes Of The Fisherman, and a Nazi war criminal in Marathon Man, and an Italian haberdasher in Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and a Dutch physician in A Bridge Too Far, which is pretty terrific for the guy who played -- well, (a) the Carpathian prince in The Prince And The Showgirl, and (b) a whole lot of Brits.

Sherrerd
01-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Olivier and Guinness would be good examples of classical stage training which valued an ability to Do Accents. They come from a time in which ethnically-sensitive casting was a completely unknown concept.

Notice that Streep, from a later generation, plays only Europeans. You would never seen her essaying an Asian role, for instance. When Katharine Hepburn and Marlon Brando and Ingrid Bergman did it, it was considered to be Oscar-nomination-worthy. But, no more. Such an effort would be considered by moviegoers (and possibly by Streep herself) to be gaucherie of a high order.

Possibly Mickey Rooney killed off that particular avenue for the demonstration of thespian versatility.

astorian
01-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Olivier and Guinness would be good examples of classical stage training which valued an ability to Do Accents. They come from a time in which ethnically-sensitive casting was a completely unknown concept.

Notice that Streep, from a later generation, plays only Europeans. You would never seen her essaying an Asian role, for instance. When Katharine Hepburn and Marlon Brando and Ingrid Bergman did it, it was considered to be Oscar-nomination-worthy. But, no more. Such an effort would be considered by moviegoers (and possibly by Streep herself) to be gaucherie of a high order.

Possibly Mickey Rooney killed off that particular avenue for the demonstration of thespian versatility.

Unless you count some comic roles like Peter Sellers in Murder By Death.

Or Alec Guinness as an Indian in the Oscar-nominated A Passage to India.

And there WAS a Seventies or Eighties Charlie Chan movie starring Peter Ustinov. It bombed at the box office and disappeared quickly, but not before getting Chinese Americans very angry.

I think the LAST nail in the coffin came after Jonathan Pryce was cast as The Engineer in the Broadway production of Miss Saigon. By all accounts, Pryce gave a very good performance, but he caused such an uproar that I don't think anyone would dare give a white guy an Asian role again.

But it still seems to be standard practice to give American Indian roles to "white" actors.

Sherrerd
01-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Unless you count some comic roles like Peter Sellers in Murder By Death.
Or Alec Guinness as an Indian in the Oscar-nominated [B]A Passage to India.

True enough. I bet there was grumbling about Guinness, but he was sort of an institution by that time. Above (most) reproach.

But it still seems to be standard practice to give American Indian roles to "white" actors.

Yeah. "Iron Eyes Cody" aka Espera DeCorti (of 100% Sicilian ancestry) became the archetypal "look" of an American Indian--possibly because there had been so many Italian-background actors playing them for so many years.

Of course there's a huge amount of genetic variation among the first-comers to the Americas. There's no one "look."

eta: in my previous post I typed "essaying" when I should have typed "assaying".....:(

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-30-2014, 05:08 PM
David Suchet is probably best known for playing a Belgian, but somehow managed to pull off Chinese when he got a rare break from playing everyone from Sigmund Freud to William Shakespeare to Dino Grandi to Mohamed Karaman to Louis B. Mayer.

Siam Sam
01-30-2014, 09:18 PM

While he's British, his ancestry is Indian. He was born in England but both of his parents are from Kerala, India. From IMDB: and .

StG

Yes, I knew that, but we are talking "nationalities" here. It was amazing the first time I heard him a speaking in his natural English accent.

ElvisL1ves
01-31-2014, 08:32 AM

Possibly Mickey Rooney killed off that particular avenue for the demonstration of thespian versatility.Or the expiration of the Hays Code, including all of its absurd restrictions on showing interracial love. One common approach was to make non-Caucasian characters half-breeds, so they could plausibly be played by Caucasian actors with a little makeup (i.e. Jennifer Jones as a Eurasian in "Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing", with the epicanthal folds drawn in by Makeup). My favorite example is Hedy Lamarr in "White Cargo", as a character described in the novel simply as a Negress. It wouldn't do to show white men nailing her in the film, so a line was added calling her "half Egyptian, half Arab", whatever that is, even though it was still in the middle of the Congo. Those people were fair game for white men, apparently. But she still looked like a Jewish girl from Europe coated with black paint.

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Hector Elizondo -- currently playing Ed Alzate, of proud Basque heritage, over on LAST MAN STANDING -- is all over this: he's Giuseppe Benvenuto, he's Hassan Salah, he's Louis Renault; he's Steinberg, he's Ortega, he's Kominsky, et cetera.

TV time
01-31-2014, 04:25 PM
Tony Randall - Although it should be pointed out he did most of the five to qualify in a single film. In The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao, he hits four nationalities, Dr. Lao - Chinese, Merlin - English, Apollonius of Tyana - Roman, and an American, two mythological beings, Pan and Medusa and possibly two animals - a snake and a yeti.

He also played a Belgian (Hercule Poirot) in The Alphabet Murders.

and numerous Americans.

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-31-2014, 04:58 PM
Tony Randall - Although it should be pointed out he did most of the five to qualify in a single film.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK gave early roles to Alfred Molina and John Rhys-Davies as Satipo and Sallah, and, man, have they been busy ever since: the former as Ricardo Morales and Hercule Poirot and Arthur Conan Doyle and Sayed Mahmoody and Harvey Torriti and Panos Demeris when he wasn't busy playing the all-American Doctor Octopus, and the latter as Stephanos Markoulis and Leonardo da Vinci and Jacques Duvalier and Gamal Nasser and Leonid Pushkin and Roger Singh in his free time from playing everyone from King Richard to Nakura.

The Other Waldo Pepper
02-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Don't forget Christopher Lee, who played Fu Manchu about as many times as he played Sherlock Holmes or Count Dracula: he's Karaga Pasha, he's Grigori Rasputin, he's Wolfgang von Kleinschmidt, he's Mohammed Ali Jinnah, he's Stefan Wyszynski, he's Joaquin Morales; he's Artemidorous, he's Svenson, he's Yusif, he's Rochefort, he's Samir, he's Konstantin, he's Ramses, and I'm not even counting Scaramanga.

astorian
02-01-2014, 09:55 AM
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK gave early roles to Alfred Molina and John Rhys-Davies as Satipo and Sallah, and, man, have they been busy ever since: the former as Ricardo Morales and Hercule Poirot and Arthur Conan Doyle and Sayed Mahmoody and Harvey Torriti and Panos Demeris when he wasn't busy playing the all-American Doctor Octopus, and the latter as Stephanos Markoulis and Leonardo da Vinci and Jacques Duvalier and Gamal Nasser and Leonid Pushkin and Roger Singh in his free time from playing everyone from King Richard to Nakura.

Molina also played Tevye, a Russian Jew, on Broadway!

The Other Waldo Pepper
02-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Molina also played Tevye, a Russian Jew, on Broadway!

Come to think of it, José Ferrer won a Tony as Cyrano de Bergerac on Broadway before he won an Oscar reprising the role on film -- and he was the Turkish Bey in Lawrence Of Arabia, and the Polish Siletski in To Be Or Not To Be, and he played everyone else from Gopal Das to Josef Stalin to Manuel Benitez to Erich Rhinemann to George Pappas -- and from a quick look at IMDB, it's not like they shied away from having him play characters with the WASPiest names imaginable (Jeff Briggs? Stanley Royce? Lionel McCoy?) when he wasn't playing Dominici or Papashvily or whoever.

thelurkinghorror
02-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Don't forget Christopher Lee, who played Fu Manchu about as many times as he played Sherlock Holmes or Count Dracula: he's Karaga Pasha, he's Grigori Rasputin, he's Wolfgang von Kleinschmidt, he's Mohammed Ali Jinnah, he's Stefan Wyszynski, he's Joaquin Morales; he's Artemidorous, he's Svenson, he's Yusif, he's Rochefort, he's Samir, he's Konstantin, he's Ramses, and I'm not even counting Scaramanga.
He's been Frankish, too. The Charlemagne of Metal \m/

The Other Waldo Pepper
02-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Victor Mature of Demetrius And The Gladiators fame was especially valuable in big-screen westerns, since he could play Doc Holliday in one and turn around to play Chief Crazy Horse in another -- and was just as useful if you were doing the same kind of movie but wanted the story of a local hit-and-run type in Afghanistan or India squaring off against the Brits in a gunfighters-on-horseback story. Or if you wanted him to play Carmine Ganucci, or the Pharoah Horemheb, or Oleg in The Tartars, or, y'know, Samson, in Samson And Delilah.

(And, hey: you know who else played Doc Holliday -- before playing Crazy Knife, in The Plainsman? Henry Silva, who played Chunjin in The Manchurian Candidate. And he was Salvatore Giordano, and Ram Singh, and Garcia Mendez -- and he was the Arab terrorist Rafeeq in Wrong Is Right, and he was the Venezuelan native Kua-Ko in Green Mansions, and as per IMDB he was always getting cast as guys named "Kruger" and "Gauss," because, well, why the hell not?)

Sherrerd
02-01-2014, 04:14 PM

Very true.

So did we ever decide if it's possible to come up with a "most nationalities" winner?

Elemenopy
02-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Paul Muni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Muni) (original Scarface, The Good Earth) should at least get an honorable mention...I'm not sure how many he's played since I haven't seen all the films, but I'd guess at least a dozen. He did a film in 1929 called Seven Faces, playing quite a few ethnicities right there: Papa Chibou, Diablero, Willie Smith, Franz Schubert, Don Juan, Joe Gans, Napoleon.

Lamia
02-01-2014, 06:12 PM
But it still seems to be standard practice to give American Indian roles to "white" actors.I had assumed that this was no longer the case, but I just looked up the guy who played the Native American friend/potential love interest for the heroine of the Twilight movies (Taylor Lautner (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Lautner)), and it sounds like he's mostly white. According to Wikipedia he "has Austrian, English, German, Swiss-German, French, Irish, and Dutch heritage" with only "'distant' Native American ancestry".

thelurkinghorror
02-01-2014, 09:46 PM
I had assumed that this was no longer the case, but I just looked up the guy who played the Native American friend/potential love interest for the heroine of the Twilight movies (Taylor Lautner (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Lautner)), and it sounds like he's mostly white. According to Wikipedia he "has Austrian, English, German, Swiss-German, French, Irish, and Dutch heritage" with only "'distant' Native American ancestry".
Looks like they did a decent job getting guys with at least some NA ancestry to play the werewolves. But really tribal identity is stronger than blood. The Red Sticks, who violently fought American encroachment and assimilation? Some of their leaders were <1/2 Creek, >1/2 Scottish, if not more. But it's always fun to say you're 1/17 Cherokee or some other impossible fraction if people ask. And your Native ancestor must always be someone famous. Pocahontas is a pretty good choice :dubious:

Siam Sam
02-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Maximilain Schell, the first native-German-speaking Oscar winner post-WWII, just died. I'd bet he played a few nationalities.

Colibri
02-01-2014, 11:38 PM
So did we ever decide if it's possible to come up with a "most nationalities" winner?

Anthony Quinn, who was the first one mentioned in the OP, has at least 24:

Previously mentioned:

1. Arab - Lawrence of Arabia
2. Mexican - Viva Zapata (and others)
3. Greek - Zorba the Greek
4. Italian - The Salamander (also La Strada and many others)
5. Native American - They Died with Their Boots on (and many others)
6. Spanish - Seven Cities of Gold
7. North African - Road to Morocco
8. Filipino - Back to Bataan
9. French - Lust for Life (and The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
10. American - The Happening
11. Jewish - Barabbas
12. Eskimo - The Savage Innocents
13. Cuban - The Old Man and the Sea (1990 TV movie)
14. Basque - The Passage
15. Hun - Attila
16. Portuguese - The World in His Arms
17. Chinese - China Sky
18. Ukrainian - The Shoes of the Fisherman
19. Mongol - Marco the Magnificent
20. Zakharstani (Afghan) - Caravans
21. Indonesian - East of Sumatra
22. Libyan - The Lion of the Desert

Also:

23. South African - Target of an Assassin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_of_an_Assassin)
24. Hawaiian - Waikiki Wedding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waikiki_Wedding) - Hawaiian

There are no doubt more that are not clear from the character names listed in IMDB. He would also have more if we listed individual Native American tribes he's played.

Quinn is the one to beat. Yul Brynner is closest with 18.

Baker
02-02-2014, 12:19 AM
The TV version of Anthony Quinn/Yul Brynner as the go-to all-purpose Ethnic is Michael Ansara (and also in the movies)

By birth Syrian, he has played

Chinese (Terry and the Pirates)
Arabs (too many times to count)
American Indians (ditto)
Sikh (Smuggler's Island)
Russian (the Diplomat)
Roman (Julius Cassar)
Babylonian (Belshazzar)
Jewish (The Robe)
Vietnamese (Soldier of Fortune)
Egyptian (Ten Commandments, and maybe Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy)
Hispanic (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Rawhide)
Somebody Fututristic (Outer Limits)
Klingon (Star Trek, more than once)
Other Alien (Lost in Space)
German (Cowboy in Africa)

He was human, or humanoid at least, of unknown ancestry, in an episode of Babylon 5, playing Elric the Technomage.

C. Montgomery Burns
02-02-2014, 02:34 PM
J. Carrol Naish was American of Irish descent, and didn't ever play an Irish character. He played Native Americans, Chinese, and Hispanics, and one of his most famous roles was as Luigi Basco, an Italian immigrant on the radio and early TV sitcom "Life With Luigi".

The Other Waldo Pepper
02-02-2014, 06:59 PM
In his own right, Martin Landau deserves mention: in the '50s, he likewise pulled off the whole 'play Doc Holliday, and then play an Apache Indian' schtick, and in the '90s he played everyone from the Hungarian-born Bela Lugosi to the Sicilian-born Joe Bonanno to the Austrian-born Simon Wiesenthal -- and in between he played Rufio in Cleopatra, and Caiaphas in The Greatest Story Ever Told, and otherwise showed up for work whenever they needed a French Marquis, or a certain Transylvanian Count, or anyone else from Mariano Montoya to Ivan Kuchenko.

But if we count the roles he played on Mission: Impossible, things get pretty weird pretty fast. He's Martin Bormann, still in hiding after WWII! He's Indus Jalpan, visiting from the Far East! He's an Argentinian businessman! He's a Caribbean dictator! He's an Arab with Interpol! He's Johnny-on-the-spot, for any value of 'spot'!

LawMonkey
02-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Cesar Romero was always up for playing Lucky Luciano, or Sheikh Hameel Habib, or Esteban de la Cruz, or Peter Stavros, or Rama Singh, or Willie Wetzchahofsky, or Marquis Andre de Lage, or Count Dracula, or -- Steve McQuinn.

Or--don't forget!--The Joker.

:D

john b.
02-03-2014, 05:29 AM
J. Carrol Naish was American of Irish descent, and didn't ever play an Irish character. He played Native Americans, Chinese, and Hispanics, and one of his most famous roles was as Luigi Basco, an Italian immigrant on the radio and early TV sitcom "Life With Luigi".

Actually, J. Carrol Naish did play a few Irishmen--none too convincingly, sad to say :smack:--but he was overall an excellent actor, outstanding in Italian and Latino type roles. I've also seen him playing Arabs, Turks, East Indians and probably even Jews on occasion.

Another actor from the same era, Akim Tamiroff, Russian by birth, played many Greeks, Arabs, Spaniards, Turks and Mexicans.

Worthy of most honorable mention is general purpose British actor (of Czech descent, I believe), the late Herbert Lom, who was when I was growing up like a one man League Of Nations. He played mostly Europeans but would sometimes essay middle eastern toles. I'm not sure if he ever played far easterners but he probably played a South Asian a few times. In the films I remember seeing him in he was often cast in French or Cenral-Eastern European roles.

astorian
02-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Worthy of most honorable mention is general purpose British actor (of Czech descent, I believe), the late Herbert Lom, who was when I was growing up like a one man League Of Nations. He played mostly Europeans but would sometimes essay middle eastern toles. I'm not sure if he ever played far easterners but he probably played a South Asian a few times. In the films I remember seeing him in he was often cast in French or Central-Eastern European roles.

Like Inspector Clouseau's boss, Chief Dreyfuss.

The Other Waldo Pepper
02-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Or--don't forget!--The Joker.

:D

Heh. At that, Malachi Throne -- who has a cooler name than you do, no matter what your name happens to be -- played a master-of-disguise Batman villain before appearing in either of his recurring Star Trek roles after turning down the part of Doctor McCoy, stopping off to pick up a narrating credit on Star Wars along the way, and, man, that guy was all over the place: he's Israeli Foreign Minister Ben Yosef, he's Deputy Premier Gregor Kamirov, he's Gestapo Major Pruhst, he's Hungarian Commisar Szigeti; he's Van Helsing, he's Machiavelli, he's Ali Baba, he's Blackbeard; he's Hara Singh, he's Sean Finnegan, he's Joaquin Vallino, he's Frank Czarnecki -- and he's even the inscrutable Shinera, if you ever need a doctor with a Fu Manchu moustache to look sinister while eating with chopsticks.

TV time
02-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Tony Randall - Although it should be pointed out he did most of the five to qualify in a single film. In The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao, he hits four nationalities, Dr. Lao - Chinese, Merlin - English, Apollonius of Tyana - Roman, and an American, two mythological beings, Pan and Medusa and possibly two animals - a snake and a yeti.

He also played a Belgian (Hercule Poirot) in The Alphabet Murders.

and numerous Americans.Someone mentioned a day or two after I posted this that Randall also played a frenchman...I was thrown. I could not think of what it was. I asked if he wasn't think of Poirot. He swore it was a Frenchman (sort of). He reached into my own library and pulled out The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and opened it to the two conmen one of whom, the King of France was played by Tony Randall in the film in the '70s or '80s.

The Other Waldo Pepper
02-03-2014, 06:07 PM
I'd like to add that Anthony Hopkins, who was an on-screen Othello with Bob Hoskins as Iago, and played Claudius to Nicol Williamson's on-screen Hamlet -- and if you don't count that as Denmark cred, I'll remind you he was Hrothgar in Beowulf -- famously portrayed Adolf Hitler in The Bunker, and Richard in The Lion In Winter, and Richard Nixon in Nixon, and Yitzhak Rabin in Victory At Entebbe, and everyone else from Pablo Picasso to New Zealand's own Burt Munro, and Count Galeazzo Ciano in Mussolini and I, and Ptolemy in Alexander, and the oh-so-Welsh Ieuan Davies, and the so-Irish-he's-fresh-out-of-the-IRA Angus Barrie, and he was Bruno Hauptmann in The Lindbergh Kidnapping Case -- and of course he was a Norwegian Torvald Helmer in A Doll's House, and a Russian Astrov in Uncle Vanya, and a French Quasimodo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and he's played everyone else from Paul of Tarsus to Don Diego de la Vega to Abraham Van Helsing, and you could even argue he deserves a point for playing Odin.

The Other Waldo Pepper
11-09-2014, 06:06 AM
Bumping because this one just jumped out at me:

Omar Sharif is way up there as well. No time to do all the research right now, but a quick look at the characters on his IMDB page indicates:
Egyptian
Russian
Greek
Italian
German
French
Argentinian
Indian
Chinese (?)
Various flavors of Arab
American

Probably a bunch more - guessing there is some Syrian & Turkish in there.

...he was also the Mongolian Genghis Khan, the Lebanese Khalil Ghibran, the Armenian Sohamus, an Austrian archduke, a Spanish prince, and even Saint Peter, not to mention that 'Various Flavors Of Arab apparently covers Algerian and Moroccan and Saudi and Afghani and a dude from Nagorno-Karabakh.

Plus also a Brazilian, if I'm reading IMDB right.

CalMeacham
11-09-2014, 06:34 AM

He also played the Japanese Bad Guy, Dr. Daka, in the first Batman serial in 1943

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-16-2016, 09:23 AM
Wanted to bring the zombie thread back to life because Oscar 'Llewyn Davis' Isaac, who'll be appearing as En Sabah Nur later this year, just won the Golden Globe for playing Polish-American mayor Nick Wasicsko -- after he'd played Prince John in that ROBIN HOOD movie a little while back, and José Ramos-Horta before that; and, as per IMDB, he was Joseph, the father of Jesus; and Orestes, the Roman governor of Egypt; and Evgeni, a Russian security guard; and Laurent LeClaire, a Frenchman; and Colombian immigrant Abel Morales; and Mexican general Victoriano Ramírez.

Solid start for a guy who (a) apparently just finished filming a historical drama set in the last days of the Ottoman Empire, and who (b) is still in his mid-thirties, so he's got all kinds of time for producers to keep tapping him for all sorts of roles.

terentii
01-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned Ross Martin of Wild, Wild West fame. He could do any nationality, any accent. I'll always remember him as "the Baron" in The Great Race.

Didn't Heston play Richelieu in at least one of the Three Musketeers movies in the '70s?

FTR, Sir Alec Guinness also played a Jedi in ... need I say it?

JRDelirious
01-16-2016, 12:05 PM
FTR, Sir Alec Guinness also played a Jedi in ... need I say it?

Well, now that you mention that...

Come to think of it, José Ferrer won a Tony as Cyrano de Bergerac on Broadway before he won an Oscar reprising the role on film -- and he was the Turkish Bey in Lawrence Of Arabia, and the Polish Siletski in To Be Or Not To Be, and he played everyone else from Gopal Das to Josef Stalin to Manuel Benitez to Erich Rhinemann to George Pappas -- and from a quick look at IMDB, it's not like they shied away from having him play characters with the WASPiest names imaginable (Jeff Briggs? Stanley Royce? Lionel McCoy?) when he wasn't playing Dominici or Papashvily or whoever.

...Ferrer also played Shaddam Corrino IV (and how could we skip Barney Greenwald?)

Arizona Mike
01-16-2016, 02:07 PM
Also, Noble Johnson - an early African-American film actor who played whites, Native Americans ("She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"), Ukrainians, Egyptians ("The Mummy"), Africans (the chief of the native tribe in "King Kong"), Asians (Li-Po in "The Mysterious Fu Manchu"), Polynesians (Queequeg in "Moby Dick"), Latinos, you name it. As the early orthochromatic film stock did not capture skin color well, he would often play whites (sometimes in "whiteface" makeup, as in "The Most Dangerous Game"), particularly heavies as he had a large, powerful physique. He even played a demon in "Dante's Inferno." A close friend of Lon Chaney Sr. since childhood, he started his own movie studio in 1921 to produce films for the black film circuit that did not feature stereotypical roles.

He died in 1978 at age 98, in Yucaipa, California.

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Also, Noble Johnson - an early African-American film actor who played whites, Native Americans ("She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"), Ukrainians, Egyptians ("The Mummy"), Africans (the chief of the native tribe in "King Kong"), Asians (Li-Po in "The Mysterious Fu Manchu"), Polynesians (Queequeg in "Moby Dick"), Latinos, you name it.

...Sikh, Caribbean, Babylonian: dang, that's a big IMDB listing. (And I guess it's even bigger if we figure playing an Apache counts as a different nationality than playing a Lakota, and figure that's different from playing a Pueblo Indian, and so on for the Delaware Tribe and the Shawnee Tribe and the Ottawa Tribe...)

Superdude
01-16-2016, 04:51 PM
And a note about Tony Shaloub...he also played a cab driver of undetermined nationality in Quick Change.

Bill Door
01-16-2016, 05:21 PM
Hector Elizondo, half Basque, half Puerto Rican has played Mexican, French, Arab, Jewish, Russian, Aztec, a fictional nationaiity in The Princess Diaries movies, Italians, regular old non-descript guys with names like Arthur Willis and Joe Keenan. If you consider voice work he's played aliens of several types, in Justice League and Thundercats and Asians in The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, plus a vicuna in Go, Diego! Go!.

Quartz
01-16-2016, 05:44 PM
No love for Christopher Lee?

He played French, British, American, Portuguese, assorted aliens, Poles, German, Egyptian, Pakistani, Russian, Indian, Japanese, Arab, Italian / Roman, Chinese, assorted East Europeans (not just Transylvanian), South American, Greek, Persian, Iraqi, Spanish. And those are just the ones which are obvious from his IMDB page. So 20+.

The Other Waldo Pepper
01-16-2016, 06:15 PM
No love for Christopher Lee?

Post #66.

quiltguy
01-17-2016, 06:58 AM
Nitpick: That was Siamese.

If you please.

botsgotme
01-17-2016, 08:05 AM
I always thought that James mason was a german..he was British, but seemed to play German officers in WWII films.

dougie_monty
01-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Mason was quite a convincing Scotsman in Journey to the Center of the Earth.

John Mace
01-17-2016, 02:28 PM

And everybody jumped for joy.

terentii
01-17-2016, 02:39 PM
I always thought that James mason was a german..he was British, but seemed to play German officers in WWII films.

Erwin Rommel in The Desert Rats and The Desert Fox. Were there others? :confused:

"If I wanted to take Tobruch, I would crush it as if it were a fly!"

He was also the perfect Humbert Humbert for Kubrick's Lolita.

Quartz
01-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Post #66.

D'oh! :smack:

Donnerwetter
01-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Worthy of most honorable mention is general purpose British actor (of Czech descent, I believe), the late Herbert Lom, who was when I was growing up like a one man League Of Nations. He played mostly Europeans but would sometimes essay middle eastern toles. I'm not sure if he ever played far easterners but he probably played a South Asian a few times. In the films I remember seeing him in he was often cast in French or Cenral-Eastern European roles.

Herbert Lom also holds another unique distinction: He was able to act, without any discernible accent(!), in three different languages: Czech (his native tongue), English (he moved to the UK when he was 22 year old) and German (he probably came from a family with Austrian roots).

(It's been almost two years since Herbert Lom was last mentioned in this thread, so I guess it was about time).

terentii
01-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Herbert Lom also holds another unique distinction: He was able to act, without any discernible accent(!), in three different languages: Czech (his native tongue), English (he moved to the UK when he was 22 year old) and German (he probably came from a family with Austrian roots).

Not French? :confused:

Donnerwetter
01-18-2016, 08:46 AM
Not French? :confused:
Yes, of course, but that was deliberately and part of his role as Chief Inspector Dreyfus.

Edit:

I don't know whether Lom actually also spoke French (not just faking a French accent).

botsgotme
01-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Erwin Rommel in The Desert Rats and The Desert Fox. Were there others? :confused:

"If I wanted to take Tobruch, I would crush it as if it were a fly!"

He was also the perfect Humbert Humbert for Kubrick's Lolita.

He played a German general in "The Blue Max"-got mad at George Peppard (who was banging his wife).

Robot Arm
01-18-2016, 09:24 AM
And everybody jumped for joy.Took almost two years for that joke. Well spotted.

Arizona Mike
01-18-2016, 10:19 AM
Yes, of course, but that was deliberately and part of his role as Chief Inspector Dreyfus.

Edit:

I don't know whether Lom actually also spoke French (not just faking a French accent).

Also memorable as Christopher Walken's Polish physician in "The Dead Zone".

terentii
01-18-2016, 10:45 AM
He played a German general in "The Blue Max"-got mad at George Peppard (who was banging his wife).

Ach, ja! :smack:

terentii
01-18-2016, 10:47 AM

"Please? If anyone has been murdered ... let it be Clouseau? Hm? Hm?"

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.