PDA

View Full Version : Guardians of the Galaxy - 1st Trailer

drastic_quench
02-18-2014, 11:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM&feature=youtu.be

I feel like the awkward humor of Quill's scenes must've been difficult to edit into trailer snippets, but I like what I see overall. What a bunch of A-holes.

GuanoLad
02-18-2014, 11:38 PM
I like it, and I have no familiarity with these characters at all.

Makes me wonder why there haven't been more comedic space adventure movies.

Superdude
02-18-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm not very familiar with the source material (Guardians never jumped out at me during my comic book days), but it looks like it has potential. It'll be refreshing to see Chris Pratt as someone other than Andy on Parks & Rec.

levdrakon
02-18-2014, 11:53 PM
I think comedic is the safest way to go with talking raccoons and houseplants guarding the galaxy.

Looks like it could be fun. Green Lantern looked fun too.

Oakminster
02-19-2014, 02:21 AM

Same here. Wondering if the trailer accurately conveys the overall tone of the movie...

Smapti
02-19-2014, 03:01 AM
I'm skipping this one because I refuse to watch any movie involving Batista.

Alessan
02-19-2014, 03:20 AM

Why?

Bakhesh
02-19-2014, 04:02 AM

For my money, GOTG was the best comic book series in recent years (the DnA run, not the Bendis run). It the movie is half as good, you will be missing out

Smapti
02-19-2014, 04:10 AM
Why?

Mainly because, by all accounts, he's a complete douchebag off camera, and I was extremely pissed off by the disrespect he showed for the fans at the Royal Rumble this year.

Bakhesh
02-19-2014, 04:15 AM
Same here. Wondering if the trailer accurately conveys the overall tone of the movie...

The great thing about the comic book was how well it managed to balance humour and high stakes plots perfectly.

MrDibble
02-19-2014, 04:31 AM
Loved the shoutout to The Usual Suspects there. Also, love the mix of humour and sci-fi. I haven't been this stoked since Avengers...

amanset
02-19-2014, 06:13 AM
Loved the shoutout to The Usual Suspects there. Also, love the mix of humour and sci-fi. I haven't been this stoked since Avengers...

Indeed. I've been reading Marvel books for years but only really touched on GOTG now and again. But they look like they've got the tone spot on and are perfectly aware that most people have no idea who these people are. Rocket Raccoon, one area where it could have gone horribly wrong, looks awesome.

I'm now going to go listen to "Hooked on a Feeling".

marshmallow
02-19-2014, 06:17 AM
The anthropomorphic raccoon is just pandering to suburbanites.

Snowboarder Bo
02-19-2014, 07:16 AM
I'm in. The cool thing is that I'll get to see this at a Galaxy Theater. :D

Chimera
02-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Saw the sneak peak. @30 seconds of fast cut seizure food.

Jonathan Chance
02-19-2014, 08:08 AM
How do you deal with the fact of a talking raccoon?

You don't, you just make him all pissed off and run with it. That's brilliant.

"Sorry, I'm not sure how this machine works." I coached my 13-year-old girl on that this morning. I'm hoping for a call from the principal's office by lunchtime.

muldoonthief
02-19-2014, 08:17 AM
The guy reading the rap sheets looked like Han Solo.

GuanoLad
02-19-2014, 08:47 AM
The guy reading the rap sheets looked like Han Solo.Er. You mean John C Reilly?

Tanbarkie
02-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Saw the sneak peak. @30 seconds of fast cut seizure food.

It's an action movie trailer. It also had explosions, loud music, and a title card.

Gordon Urquhart
02-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Er. You mean John C Reilly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stYrNaLWkPk

(Instead of "Reilly," the correct response would have been "Really?")

I'm pretty familiar with the Marvel and DC universes but know absolutely nothing about GotG -- I'm really, really excited for this movie. Marvel appears to have it going on all cylinders.

GrandWino
02-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Burt Macklin, you son of a bitch.

I'm not very familiar with the source material (Guardians never jumped out at me during my comic book days), but it looks like it has potential. It'll be refreshing to see Chris Pratt as someone other than Andy on Parks & Rec.

You should check out Moneyball, Zero Dark Thirty, and The Lego Movie. He's solid in all three.

Intergalactic Gladiator
02-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Once again,

DC: We're not actually sure how to make a movie about Wonder Woman.
Marvel: Here's a talking raccoon with a machine gun.

Dr_Doom
02-19-2014, 09:37 AM
I am also unfamiliar with Guardians of the Galaxy, but I am very familiar with Gamora and Drax the Destroyer. Thanos is my favourite Marvel character.

I've read this film is intended to be a one-off, but does (obviously, with Gamora and Drax and The Collector included) tie directly in to the ongoing Infinity Gauntlet sub-plot of the MCU.

I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait!

Dr_Doom
02-19-2014, 09:41 AM

Haha! Loved his description on the screen:

Cybernetic/Genetic experiment on a lower life form - has a tendency to bite associates.

glee
02-19-2014, 09:43 AM
It's just my opinion, but I'm fine with the Avengers including a demi-God whilst a 'talking raccoon' superhero baffles me.

bouv
02-19-2014, 10:01 AM
It'll be refreshing to see Chris Pratt as someone other than Andy on Parks & Rec.

I don't know, from the trailer, his performance is basically Andy transported into the future and put on a starship with aforementioned talking raccoon and tree-man.

Which I am 100% A-Ok with. :D

drastic_quench
02-19-2014, 10:27 AM
I don't know, from the trailer, his performance is basically Andy transported into the future and put on a starship with aforementioned talking raccoon and tree-man.

Which I am 100% A-Ok with. :D

Absolutely.

drastic_quench
02-19-2014, 10:37 AM
I am also unfamiliar with Guardians of the Galaxy, but I am very familiar with Gamora and Drax the Destroyer. Thanos is my favourite Marvel character.

I've read this film is intended to be a one-off, but does (obviously, with Gamora and Drax and The Collector included) tie directly in to the ongoing Infinity Gauntlet sub-plot of the MCU.

I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait!

Rumored 2016 sequel already scheduled:
http://www.hypable.com/2014/02/06/guardians-of-the-galaxy-sequel-rumored-for-2016-release/

Sir T-Cups
02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Mainly because, by all accounts, he's a complete douchebag off camera, and I was extremely pissed off by the disrespect he showed for the fans at the Royal Rumble this year.

Not to hijack the thread but it's not as if the Rumble was his fault, he was getting shit on by the fans since day one, and it hasn't really let up.

I am in the camp right now that Marvel movies can do no wrong so I am as excited as all getout to see this. It looks to be much funnier than previous "Avengers era movie" movies which, as has been mentioned, you kinda have to when you're talking about a talking raccoon who has a tree as a best friend/protector.

Can't wait for more trailers.

amanset
02-19-2014, 11:39 AM
Breakdown from the director:
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/guardians-of-the-galaxy-james-gunn-s-trailer-breakdown/rocket-groot

There is no doubt that the cinematic pinnacle of my career is our cameras circling around a maniacal raccoon shooting a machine gun on the back of a living tree.

And I say this with as much modesty as I can muster – because certainly it is not me, but the hand of God guiding us all as we make this film – but it just may be the pinnacle of cinema in general.

Larry Borgia
02-19-2014, 11:50 AM
I'm skeptical that this will appeal to the general non-comic book reading public, which it will need to do to be profitable. Maybe it will do well internationally.

Grumman
02-19-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm skeptical that this will appeal to the general non-comic book reading public, which it will need to do to be profitable. Maybe it will do well internationally.
Well, yes, that does seem like a problem. They had two options: a talking raccoon, and lesbians. And they picked the raccoon.

Larry Borgia
02-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Yeah I just see too many people looking at the raccoon and going "What...the..fuck? What else is playing?" I can't say I blame them either.

Sir T-Cups
02-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Yeah I just see too many people looking at the raccoon and going "What...the..fuck? What else is playing?" I can't say I blame them either.

But keep in mind that the talking raccoon isn't trying to accomplish some stupid task that makes it look like a kiddie movie.

The talking raccoon is wielding a machine gun on the back of a (talking?) tree who also probably has some form of weaponry. People might see it because it does have that bit of action along with the weirdness

silenus
02-19-2014, 12:25 PM
This is going to be great! So looking forward to it.

Dr_Doom
02-19-2014, 12:31 PM
... a 'talking raccoon' superhero...

But keep in mind that the talking raccoon isn't trying to accomplish some stupid task that makes it look like a kiddie movie.

The talking raccoon is wielding a machine gun on the back of a (talking?) tree who also probably has some form of weaponry. People might see it because it does have that bit of action along with the weirdness

I hope that this film isn't taken as a superhero movie, but rather as simply some kind of outer-space science fiction/fantasy adventure.

Apparently there is little to no story taking place on, or anywhere near planet Earth, and although I am in no way certain, I doubt we will see much carry-over content relating to The Avengers.

There have been far more ludicrous characters in the pantheon of science fiction than talking raccoons, especially in Disney movies.

Gordon Urquhart
02-19-2014, 12:34 PM
With regard to box office potential, it's worth noting that this movie is from the same studio that's brought in almost $2 billion (and that's in the United States only; the worldwide figure is over $5 billion) since 2008 – three Iron Man movies, two Thor movies, a Captain America movie, and an Avengers movie (which is the #3 domestic grossing movie ever, just shy of Titanic).

GotG is definitely a harder sell -- there are no real superheroes, and there is the talking, gun-toting raccoon factor (however, as Sir T-Cups notes, that could be a factor working in its favor, especially if the character is rendered as successfully throughout the complete movie as he is in the trailer) -- but if anyone can make an entertaining movie and also know how to market it successfully, it's Marvel/Disney.

levdrakon
02-19-2014, 01:42 PM
I could have sworn Yondu was going to be in the movie.

simster
02-19-2014, 02:01 PM
Well, yes, that does seem like a problem. They had two options: a talking raccoon, and lesbians. And they picked the raccoon.

This needs to go on the teaser poster....

We'll be there.

drastic_quench
02-19-2014, 02:22 PM
I could have sworn Yondu was going to be in the movie.

It's the first trailer for a movie that comes out in August. This one had the significant task of introducing an unknown main cast. Yondu, Ronan, et al will be held off for a later trailer.

levdrakon
02-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Yeah, read up on it more. Now my main question is: Glenn Close as Nova Prime? I saw a photo of her in makeup and it doesn't make much sense.

Snowboarder Bo
02-19-2014, 03:18 PM

Yeah, that's the exact same reaction people had to the talking dog in Men In Black... oh wait, no it's not :smack: people thought the talking dog was hilarious and went to see the movie in droves.

Ethilrist
02-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Yeah, read up on it more. Now my main question is: Glenn Close as Nova Prime? I saw a photo of her in makeup and it doesn't make much sense.

Maybe she plays his mom and dies early in the movie, so he gets promoted to Prime?

Having said that, it may well be obvious that I know nothing about GotG. Something I've been wondering is whether I should stop by my friendly comic book shoppe and pick up a graphic novel or two (a friend mentioned a couple with Annihilation in the title, which is always a good choice), or should I just trust to the Marvel/Disney machine to deliver the goods? I didn't read the Harry Potter novels before seeing the movies, and that worked out well for me.

gytalf2000
02-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Wow! This looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see more of Rocket Raccoon!

Sr Siete
02-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Let me see if I get this straight: these are not the Guardians of the Galaxy I remember from X-Men comics , but a new-ish comic grouping several fringe sci-fi characters from the Marvel Universe, mostly created during the 70's.

Well, I do remember Rocket Racoon.

cmkeller
02-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Sr Siete:

Let me see if I get this straight: these are not the Guardians of the Galaxy I remember from X-Men comics

Are you thinking of the Starjammers, perhaps? I don't recall the GotG ever being involved with the X-Men. Or maybe you meant Avengers rather than X-Men? The GotG were sort of considered members of the Avengers during one particularly cosmic storyline.

Push You Down
02-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Sr Siete:

Are you thinking of the Starjammers, perhaps? I don't recall the GotG ever being involved with the X-Men. Or maybe you meant Avengers rather than X-Men? The GotG were sort of considered members of the Avengers during one particularly cosmic storyline.

Beat me to it.

Although the movie will feature one of the original GOTG members, this line-up is based on the relaunch from the mid 2000s.

WordMan
02-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanos is my favourite Marvel character.

I'm the first person to point out the :confused: of this username/post combo? ;)

I know nothing about these characters, but am interested based on the trailer. Showing Chris Pratt flipping the bird, with John C. Reilly, while invoking Blue Swede's "gosha gah-oo, gah-oo, gah-oo" Hooked on a Feeling is definitely looking to set a tone. Feels like they are taking risks that will either work wonderfully or fail miserably, but at least they are taking risks. Oh, and Djimon Hounsou as an alien guard-badass totally works.

Battle Pope
02-19-2014, 06:26 PM
All the stuff I'd seen about this film leading up to the trailer had left me pretty cold and unintersted but damn, that actually has me looking forward to it now.

Balance
02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
I had not previously had any great interest in this movie, but the raccoon factor has won me over.

amanset
02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Apparently there is little to no story taking place on, or anywhere near planet Earth, and although I am in no way certain, I doubt we will see much carry-over content relating to The Avengers.

As non-spoilery as possible:

The guy in the mid-credit scene in Thor 2 is in the trailer. That guy in that scene was interested in something specific that is one of several things (and named as a group). This will almost certainly be a part of Avengers 3, along with the guy from the big reveal in the credits scene in The Avengers. We can assume, by the subtitle, that this will not be a huge factor in Avengers 2.

amanset
02-19-2014, 07:09 PM
In other news, I have listened to "Hooked on a Feeling" approximately a million times today.

Banquet Bear
02-19-2014, 07:16 PM
It's the first trailer for a movie that comes out in August. This one had the significant task of introducing an unknown main cast. Yondu, Ronan, et al will be held off for a later trailer.

...yeah, and the trailer did this brilliantly. When I heard about the Guardians of the Galaxy movie I didn't know much about the back story: and a trip to wikipedia left me feeling decidedly cold about the whole thing. I didn't have high hopes for it at all.

But I love the look of this. I'm falling in love with the characters: and I've only seen them for two and a half minutes. Thats a pretty tough thing to pull off!

Lasciel
02-19-2014, 07:23 PM
As non-spoilery as possible:

The guy in the mid-credit scene in Thor 2 is in the trailer. That guy in that scene was interested in something specific that is one of several things (and named as a group). This will almost certainly be a part of Avengers 3, along with the guy from the big reveal in the credits scene in The Avengers. We can assume, by the subtitle, that this will not be a huge factor in Avengers 2.

I would just like to offer props for this spoiler-free relationship guide. This is bloody brilliant.

Balance
02-19-2014, 07:42 PM
I would just like to offer props for this spoiler-free relationship guide. This is bloody brilliant.
Indeed. I know what's going on, and I still didn't know what was going on.

Cubsfan
02-19-2014, 07:52 PM
I never thought they'd be able to pull off a live action GotG but this trailer looks awesome. I'm very excited to see this!

simster
02-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Indeed. I know what's going on, and I still didn't know what was going on.

Exactly how I live every single day.....

Ethilrist
02-19-2014, 08:05 PM
In other news, I have listened to "Hooked on a Feeling" approximately a million times today.

Well, the taste does stay on your mind.

Tabby_Cat
02-19-2014, 09:04 PM
I have to say, I wasn't expecting to like it. But wow.

DC really has nothing on Marvel, at least movie-wise. I would watch all of the Marvel movies against before even thinking about watching any of the Batmen.

Relevant Kotaku comment:

Someone at DC is sitting there with their hands in the air going "I DON'T UNDERSTAND! THIS ISN'T EVEN GRIMDARK! LIKE, I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE GRIMDARK, AND THEN IT WASN'T?! BUT I WANT TO WATCH THIS, I DON'T UNDERSTAND! EVERYONE KNOWS MOVIES HAVE TO BE GRIMDARK!!!"

Larry Borgia
02-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Yeah, that's the exact same reaction people had to the talking dog in Men In Black... oh wait, no it's not :smack: people thought the talking dog was hilarious and went to see the movie in droves.The talking dog was an occasional joke, not a main character. Also MiB starred Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones at the height of their popularity. I don't think this analogy holds.

I mean I really hope I'm wrong. I love marvel studios, and admire their vast interconnected storyline. When I become emperor my first decree will be that all Marvel characters will be returned to Marvel studios. So nothing would make me happier than to see this movie turn a profit. But I'm skeptical.

levdrakon
02-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Let me see if I get this straight: these are not the Guardians of the Galaxy I remember from X-Men comics , but a new-ish comic grouping several fringe sci-fi characters from the Marvel Universe, mostly created during the 70's.

Well, I do remember Rocket Racoon.

Maybe you're thinking of the Defenders? That's where I first learned about them. They were a band of renegades from a future timeline where an alien race called the Badoon had conquered and enslaved Earth's solar system.

This latest version draws most from Thanos story lines and via Thanos you can pretty much tie-in any character in the Marvel universe(s). Silver Surfer? Check. Dr. Strange? Sure. Spider Man? Yup. Professor Xavier? Of course.

I think every time Marvel wants to reboot their universe they put Thanos at the center of it somehow. Thanos the Retconner!

Ethilrist
02-19-2014, 11:15 PM
It must annoy his girlfriend pretty bad that he's constantly breathing new life into flagging comic books.

Sr Siete
02-20-2014, 01:37 AM
Maybe you're thinking of the Defenders? That's where I first learned about them. They were a band of renegades from a future timeline where an alien race called the Badoon had conquered and enslaved Earth's solar system.

You are right, I was mistaken. For some reason I thought the original GOTG were the Imperial Guard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Guard_(comics)) from the Shi'ar Empire. Therefore my knowledge of the original Guardians is zero.

amanset
02-20-2014, 02:56 AM

Why thank you sir.

amanset
02-20-2014, 03:02 AM
Also MiB starred Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones at the height of their popularity. I don't think this analogy holds.

Well this exists in the same in-film universe as two of the five highest grossing films ever.

Quimby
02-20-2014, 07:09 AM
This looks really good but it looks like they went out of their way to make fun of some of the sillier aspects before anyone else could. That suggests they don't have confidence in the material.

Alessan
02-20-2014, 07:32 AM
I think its more that they don't have confidence in the public's carte blanche acceptance of tree-riding gun-toting talking raccoons.

Maus Magill
02-20-2014, 08:19 AM
I'll admit, prior to watching this, I was decidedly meh about the upcoming movie. Now I'm excited.

I'm also trepidatious, because I know my kids will obsess over the Gaurdians to the point where I no longer want anything to do with them (the Gaurdians, no my kids), like they did with Star Wars and The Avengers.

Bakhesh
02-20-2014, 08:58 AM
The talking dog was an occasional joke, not a main character. Also MiB starred Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones at the height of their popularity. I don't think this analogy holds.

If you don't like talking dogs in movies, you'd better hope that Cosmo, the talking, psychic, Russian cosmonaut dog doesn't turn up in GOTG

Rocketeer
02-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Once again,

DC: We're not actually sure how to make a movie about Wonder Woman.

Heh. Absolutely right. :D

Intergalactic Gladiator
02-20-2014, 09:54 AM
I've seen the trailer about a dozen times by now and I think this is going to be good. How can you not cheer for a gun toting raccoon? Unless it's in your trashcans, I guess.

Dr_Doom
02-20-2014, 10:35 AM
When I viewed the trailer for the first time 25 hours ago, it had 1.8 million hits. Now up to over 6 million.

amanset
02-20-2014, 10:42 AM
When I viewed the trailer for the first time 25 hours ago, it had 1.8 million hits. Now up to over 6 million.

I think half of those were from me.

Dr_Doom
02-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Ha! I've watched it several times myself.

I am now even more excited for Captain America: The Winter Soldier due to seeing another lengthy (hopefully not overmuch) trailer for GOTG.

Cuckoorex
02-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Can Great Lakes Avengers be far behind?? I nominate Jewel Staite for the role of Squirrel Girl!

Intergalactic Gladiator
02-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Can Great Lakes Avengers be far behind?? I nominate Jewel Staite for the role of Squirrel Girl!

The phrase "I'll be in my bunk" is tossed around so casually these days. And yet, I would like to excuse myself for a moment while I have some private time in my designated quarters.

GrandWino
02-20-2014, 11:46 AM
FWIT, my wife, who is decidedly NOT a comic book movie fan and didn't really care for The Avengers - thought that this trailer was great and she's excited to see it.

Snowboarder Bo
02-20-2014, 11:56 AM
The talking dog was an occasional joke, not a main character. Also MiB starred Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones at the height of their popularity. I don't think this analogy holds.
Dude, he was so popular that in the second movie, he was a main character: he had become an agent and wore the suit, etc. Heck, he was even J's partner until J got K back. My point is that the average 2014 movie-goer won't be at all turned off by a murderous talking raccoon any more than they are turned of by any other anthropomorphic animal-as-comic-relief-/-plot foil that we've seen in the last 20 years.

I mean I really hope I'm wrong. I love marvel studios, and admire their vast interconnected storyline. When I become emperor my first decree will be that all Marvel characters will be returned to Marvel studios. So nothing would make me happier than to see this movie turn a profit. But I'm skeptical.

I understand the skepticism. Frankly, at this point, I'm skeptical of any actual superhero movie. But stuff like this, a goofball comic book movie, is something that IMO Hollywood actually does much better than the big superhero movies. Now if only they'd get started on that Cerebus movie...

Snowboarder Bo
02-20-2014, 12:01 PM
I forgot to mention one thing about the trailer that I found a little jarring:

I don't know who the actor is that plays the Starlord guy, and he seems to do a decent job, but every time he moved or opened his mouth, I just kept wondering why they didn't just hire Seann William Scott for the role; it seems to be written for him.

simster
02-20-2014, 12:15 PM

I don't know who the actor is that plays the Starlord guy, and he seems to do a decent job, but every time he moved or opened his mouth, I just kept wondering why they didn't just hire Seann William Scott for the role; it seems to be written for him.

I actually thought that Sean Spencer would also work for that role

Labrador Deceiver
02-20-2014, 12:21 PM
As someone who has never opened a comic book, I think this looks like great fun. I'll definitely go and take my kids.

Push You Down
02-20-2014, 12:27 PM

Because Sean William Scott is the Chris Pratt of 2004 not 2014?

I find the "movie-goes aren't going to like _________ so it will fail" nay saying absolutely hilarious.

A lion that's COWARDLY! That will never work.

They fly around in space ships but fight with laser swords? No one is going to want to see that!

It's just a rehash or Dances with Wolves and Ferngully--but with giant blue smurfs...and its in 3D? Box-office disaster!

Tanbarkie
02-20-2014, 12:32 PM

Because Sean William Scott plays hugely unlikeable jerks. Chris Pratt, given the same role, makes said jerks downright lovable.

GrandWino
02-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Chris Pratt is also starring in the new Jurassic Park movie, so his star is quickly on the rise.

Cuckoorex
02-20-2014, 01:02 PM
On a side note, unless they've CGed abs onto Chris Pratt, it looks like he got some training sessions from Hugh Jackman recently.

pricciar
02-20-2014, 01:12 PM
On a side note, unless they've CGed abs onto Chris Pratt, it looks like he got some training sessions from Hugh Jackman recently.

I heard he just gave up beer for a month.

Intergalactic Gladiator
02-20-2014, 01:13 PM

He's been working out.

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/see-actor-chris-pratts-amazing-weight-loss

GrandWino
02-20-2014, 01:16 PM
I heard he just gave up beer for a month.

igetthisreference.jpg

Bakhesh
02-20-2014, 03:42 PM
If you were disappointed that Rocket didn't get any lines in the trailer, check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Udzfdl2xuw#t=18

Quimby
02-20-2014, 03:43 PM

I'm curious if you saw the trailer before posting this. They are positioning this as Star Wars, not a comic book movie. It's going to make a fortune.

Cuckoorex
02-20-2014, 04:05 PM
igetthisreference.jpg

Joke or not, there's something to that, I think. I gave up beer for a few months last year and lost almost 20 lbs. without changing anything else. Hmmm...

GrandWino
02-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Joke or not, there's something to that, I think. I gave up beer for a few months last year and lost almost 20 lbs. without changing anything else. Hmmm...

He actually did give up beer for 3 months but also worked out a ton. He says he didn't diet much other than the beer thing.

The joke reference was to his Parks & Rec character who explained his sudden weight loss in-show on just stopping drinking beer.

Chronos
02-20-2014, 04:57 PM
I like Rocket, but honestly, he doesn't impress me all that much. We know what raccoons look like, and they're already close enough in shape to humans to make the anthropomorphism relatively straightforward. What impresses me is Groot. We don't know what a walking, talking tree looks like, which makes one a real test for the designers. Which they passed. He looks like a tree, and he looks like a person. I think they did a better job on him even than the Ents in Jackson's LotR.

Penfeather
02-20-2014, 06:07 PM

Because they have a long record of tanking at the box office. Even Galaxy Quest didn't do that well on release.

drastic_quench
02-20-2014, 07:17 PM
Because they have a long record of tanking at the box office. Even Galaxy Quest didn't do that well on release.

I mean come on! The star power of Tim Allen not equally box office gold!?

In all seriousness, I really liked Galaxy Quest when I saw it years later on HBO, but it was marketed as a Tim Allen family movie. Which is exactly why my demo never bought a ticket.

Penfeather
02-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Galaxy Quest is a wonderful movie, one of the very few that I never tire of seeing. But it failed to fire commercially. Ditto Pluto Nash, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Flash Gordon and SpaceBalls. I know nothing about the comic strip, and for all I know - because let;s face it, it's impossible to tell from the trailer - the movie could be the hottest thing since fish grew legs. But space action comedy is a hard sell at the box office, and I wouldn't bet the farm on this one making a fortune.

Penfeather
02-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Ditto Space Truckers.

drastic_quench
02-20-2014, 07:53 PM
None of which have the tremendous amount of goodwill built up by Marvel Studios. It's no accident that the poster first reminds everyone how much fun they had at the best Marvel flicks.

1st poster:
http://i.imgur.com/mJfmOsn.jpg

Penfeather
02-20-2014, 08:18 PM
None of which have the tremendous amount of goodwill built up by Marvel Studios. It's no accident that the poster first reminds everyone how much fun they had at the best Marvel flicks.

1st poster:
http://i.imgur.com/mJfmOsn.jpg

Or they have no confidence selling a virtually unknown property on its own merits. See also Howard the Duck, from the guy who brought you Star Wars!

drastic_quench
02-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Or they have no confidence selling a virtually unknown property on its own merits. See also Howard the Duck, from the guy who brought you Star Wars!

Re: the association of The Avengers et al.

"Hide it under a bushel? Oh no! I'm gonna let it shine"

No movie studio would hold back such a connection.

DWMarch
02-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Ditto Space Truckers.

And Serenity. For the browncoats you could have had a black screen with just the word Serenity on it and they all still would have flocked to it in droves. But the general public trailer played up the humor in the movie and it bombed.

Snowboarder Bo
02-20-2014, 08:59 PM

I mean come on! The star power of Tim Allen not equally box office gold!?
Galaxy Quest is a wonderful movie, one of the very few that I never tire of seeing. But it failed to fire commercially. Ditto Pluto Nash, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Flash Gordon and SpaceBalls. I know nothing about the comic strip, and for all I know - because let;s face it, it's impossible to tell from the trailer - the movie could be the hottest thing since fish grew legs. But space action comedy is a hard sell at the box office, and I wouldn't bet the farm on this one making a fortune.
Ditto Space Truckers.
Hey hey hey! Let's not forget about The Ice Pirates (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/)!

Jonathan Chance
02-20-2014, 09:09 PM
I still bet this brings in $300MM+ worldwide.

GuanoLad
02-20-2014, 10:35 PM
Because they have a long record of tanking at the box office. Even Galaxy Quest didn't do that well on release.I'm surprised about Galaxy Quest. I guess it suffered a similar history to Princess Bride, that it gained a kind of cultish success in home video and TV replays.

The other space comedies listed I accept were all lame. Battle Beyond The Stars is another not mentioned yet. So fair enough, that's the reason there haven't been more.

Penfeather
02-20-2014, 11:00 PM
I'm surprised about Galaxy Quest. I guess it suffered a similar history to Princess Bride, that it gained a kind of cultish success in home video and TV replays.

The other space comedies listed I accept were all lame. Battle Beyond The Stars is another not mentioned yet. So fair enough, that's the reason there haven't been more.

Box Office Mojo puts it at $91 million gross on a $45 million dollar budget. (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=galaxyquest.htm) Not a disaster, but a fairly modest take, and not enough to justify a sequel. And cult DVD sales seldom translate to serious money: outside of SF fans on the internet, I doubt most people have heard of it. Yeah, if I were promoting this new film, I'd be pushing the Avengers angle for all I was worth too.

Snowboarder Bo
02-20-2014, 11:14 PM
I still bet this brings in $300MM+ worldwide.

Oh, I think that's far too conservative. I predict that this movie will be so big it will affect pop culture the whole world over. Pretty soon we'll be basing our existence around it, much like the people of the future will revere Wyld Stallyns.

:D

No seriously, I think this movie will be huge, literally affecting pop culture with references and remarks all over the world. I think we'll see it surpass The Avengers and maybe even Titanic. $650MM+ is my prediction.

jimpatro
02-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Wow, this is one of those that I want to be great but the humor in the trailer falls flat for me. Can't see why it's got everybody raving. Okay, cool characters and FX but the comedic timing just ain't there.

Penfeather
02-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Oh, I think that's far too conservative. I predict that this movie will be so big it will affect pop culture the whole world over. Pretty soon we'll be basing our existence around it, much like the people of the future will revere Wyld Stallyns.

:D

No seriously, I think this movie will be huge, literally affecting pop culture with references and remarks all over the world. I think we'll see it surpass The Avengers and maybe even Titanic. $650MM+ is my prediction.

I think it will unite Christian and Muslim, provide a limitless source of cheap clean energy, and bring back all our lost socks. It will walk on water and swim on land. It will heal injured swans. It will usher us into the sunlit uplands of a new Jerusalem. It will be Love.

Lobohan
02-21-2014, 12:25 AM
I think Raccoon and Man will live together in harmony. We will open our trashcans to them, and they will share their tasty, tasty semen with us!

Maus Magill
02-21-2014, 07:20 AM
I'll take things I wish I had not read for $1000 please, Alex.

Chronos
02-21-2014, 09:36 AM
I was about to mention The Fifth Element as another comedic space science fiction movie, until I realized that it probably wasn't meant to be comedic.

enalzi
02-21-2014, 09:41 AM
I was about to mention The Fifth Element as another comedic space science fiction movie, until I realized that it probably wasn't meant to be comedic.

Ruby Rhod would disagree with you.

The Man In Black
02-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Am I the only person who thinks the trailer looks horrible? Going by the trailer, it looks like it is made just to entertain 12 year old boys. I am open to seeing the movie if it is even half as good as The Avengers (cause half as good as Avengers is still more awesome that most movies), but this trailer really worries me.

Lasciel
02-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Eh, I'm not too worried. Even if it is aimed at 12-year olds, it can still be fun. How To Train Your Dragon would be a great example.

It seems to me like Marvel is purposefully branching it's movies out into different territory - we've got the main-branch of superheros on earth, looks like Winter Soldier is moving into Jason Bourne super-spy action territory, Guardians is a campy space flick...

The more varied their movies are in tone and appeal, the more potential audiences they can hook and drag into the next one of their films to roll down the pipeline. It isn't a bad idea, as far as I can tell.

The only thing I really worry about is if this one turns into a turkey, they DO technically have to keep it in the official universe, and then that gets a little weird to deal with (ignore it? don't ignore it and pretend it was good? refer to it mockingly as a fourth-wall acknowledgement that it was sucky?).

GrandWino
02-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Box Office Mojo puts it at $91 million gross on a $45 million dollar budget. (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=galaxyquest.htm) Not a disaster, but a fairly modest take, and not enough to justify a sequel. And cult DVD sales seldom translate to serious money: outside of SF fans on the internet, I doubt most people have heard of it. Yeah, if I were promoting this new film, I'd be pushing the Avengers angle for all I was worth too.

Interesting thing about that too is that it made more money in its 5th week as it did in it's opening weekend. So definitely a "word of mouth" movie.

silenus
02-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Eh, I'm not too worried. Even if it is aimed at 12-year olds, it can still be fun. How To Train Your Dragon would be a great example.

It seems to me like Marvel is purposefully branching it's movies out into different territory - we've got the main-branch of superheros on earth, looks like Winter Soldier is moving into Jason Bourne super-spy action territory, Guardians is a campy space flick...

The more varied their movies are in tone and appeal, the more potential audiences they can hook and drag into the next one of their films to roll down the pipeline. It isn't a bad idea, as far as I can tell.

The only thing I really worry about is if this one turns into a turkey, they DO technically have to keep it in the official universe, and then that gets a little weird to deal with (ignore it? don't ignore it and pretend it was good? refer to it mockingly as a fourth-wall acknowledgement that it was sucky?).

Doctor Strange will delve into the mystic and magical.

If it does stiff at the box office, Marvel won't be out much. It's sufficiently removed from their Earth-bound mainstream that they can crank out a few dozen more movies before they have to reference it, and then they can reboot it. But I don't think that will be necessary...this film will rock!

Ethilrist
02-22-2014, 03:36 PM
My point is that the average 2014 movie-goer won't be at all turned off by a murderous talking raccoon any more than they are turned of by any other anthropomorphic animal-as-comic-relief-/-plot foil that we've seen in the last 20 years.
... 20 years? You do realize that Disney is involved in this, right?

Snowboarder Bo
02-22-2014, 11:02 PM
... 20 years? You do realize that Disney is involved in this, right?

I know that was some mild snark, but yeah, I do. I chose 20 years because about 67% of the movie-going public is 39 or under (.pdf cite here; MPAA Industry Report for 2012) (http://www.mpaa.org/Resources/3037b7a4-58a2-4109-8012-58fca3abdf1b.pdf), and let's face it, that's the demographic this film is most targeted at.

What I think is great is that I am not in the target demographic and I actually can't wait to see this. Now I just have to avoid the hype for another 5 months...

Dr_Doom
02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
So, in just about 132 hours on Youtube, the linked trailer in the OP has taken over 12,000,000 views, or 90,909 hits/hour on average.

I am no Youtube expert, but that seems like a big number.

Is it?

tim314
02-24-2014, 11:40 AM
So, in just about 132 hours on Youtube, the linked trailer in the OP has taken over 12,000,000 views, or 90,909 hits/hour on average.

I am no Youtube expert, but that seems like a big number.

Is it?

I found what I think is the first trailer from the original Avengers movie (posted in Oct. 2011), and it has 20 million views. link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrNdBpGMv8)

Based on that, albeit not knowing how much "views per day" tends to fall off after a movie trailer has been posted for a while, I'd say that 12 million views in less than a week is a very good sign.

Miller
02-24-2014, 02:06 PM
And Serenity. For the browncoats you could have had a black screen with just the word Serenity on it and they all still would have flocked to it in droves. But the general public trailer played up the humor in the movie and it bombed.

This doesn't look particularly comedic. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EcyhneTXiY) No more than any other quippy action movie, at any rate.

levdrakon
02-24-2014, 02:11 PM
This doesn't look particularly comedic. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EcyhneTXiY) No more than any other quippy action movie, at any rate.I've been wondering about that throughout this thread. There seems to be a difference between a full-on laugh a minute joke fest and inserting a little hip, snarky humor here and there, a la Whedon.

thelurkinghorror
02-28-2014, 06:43 PM
I thought this was funny. Three articles from the Motley Fool, by 3 different authors (which is it, guys?):
(if they do some BS about signing up to see the article, it seems you can close and reopen link)

Feb 23: It will probably make money (http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/23/for-marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-is-already-a-su.aspx?source=isesitlnk0000001&mrr=0.50)
Feb 26: It will be a failure (http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/26/guardians-of-the-galaxy-will-be-a-flop-for-marvel.aspx)
Feb 26: It'll do better than you think and here's why (http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/26/5-reasons-guardians-of-the-galaxy-will-dominate-th.aspx)

Jonathan Chance
04-08-2014, 10:22 PM
The latest clip (http://www.uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2014/04/guardians-of-the-galaxy-new-clip-chris-pratt/)

I am - no foolin' - as excited as a Tween at a One Direction concert over this thing.

Hell, how did I NOT have 'Hooked on a Feeling' in my music collection? Now I do.

levdrakon
04-08-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm waiting for a second, more meaty trailer. Right now it could go either way.

ETA: okay, a third more meaty trailer.

Alessan
05-19-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm waiting for a second, more meaty trailer. Right now it could go either way.

ETA: okay, a third more meaty trailer.

Meaty enough? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crIaEzXgqto)

levdrakon
05-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Meaty enough? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crIaEzXgqto)Nice! Whether it's the best movie of the year or not, who cares? It looks like a fun romp across the galaxy, and worth the price of a ticket and some popcorn.

Chronos
05-19-2014, 04:31 PM
OK, I don't know about that mask he's wearing, but the rest of it looks great.

Jonathan Chance
05-19-2014, 04:32 PM
*scratch*

*adjust*

levdrakon
05-19-2014, 04:36 PM
OK, I don't know about that mask he's wearing, but the rest of it looks great.That mask is bizarre and doesn't fit his personality. It was added after I quit reading comics, but it is true to the comics. He probably won't wear it most of the time.

simster
05-19-2014, 04:48 PM

oh.... yeah.....

Skammer
05-19-2014, 04:53 PM
If Hooked On a Feeling and Spirit in the Sky are both on the soundtrack, this movie is going to kick ass.

levdrakon
05-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Now I can't watch the trailer because of a copyright claim by Disney. Fuck you Disney.

Larry Borgia
05-19-2014, 08:15 PM
It's still up at io9:

http://io9.com/new-guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-is-sensational-1578551996

levdrakon
05-19-2014, 08:29 PM
It's still up at io9:

I am Groot.

Tabby_Cat
05-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Due to some facebook exclusivity shenanigans, I'm told. Sucks, but some other video sites don't bother with takedowns. ;)

The trailer was totally worth watching, too. If only for *scratch* *adjust*

cckerberos
05-19-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm really looking forward to this. I'm still not quite sold on Zoe Saldana as Gamora, though.

levdrakon
05-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Well, I've watched the trailer 15 times or so. I'm trying to be cynical but it's not working. I kinda love the movie already.

Rick Kitchen
05-19-2014, 10:00 PM
They finally started playing up the Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper connections. They should have done that sooner. But that's all good.

silenus
05-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Me too. So looking forward to this.

Bakhesh
05-20-2014, 05:11 AM
That scene where Groot hands the little girl the flower is a bit of a worry. It looks quite sweet, until you realise Groot has just ripped off his own genitals and handed them to a child.

tim314
05-20-2014, 08:15 AM
That scene where Groot hands the little girl the flower is a bit of a worry. It looks quite sweet, until you realise Groot has just ripped off his own genitals and handed them to a child.

When you start thinking of flowers as plant genitals, a lot of our culture is pretty disturbing, too.

amanset
05-20-2014, 09:09 AM
Due to some facebook exclusivity shenanigans, I'm told. Sucks, but some other video sites don't bother with takedowns. ;)

The trailer was totally worth watching, too. If only for *scratch* *adjust*

And now you can have it looping forever.

http://mtv.com/crop-images/2014/05/19/rocket-crotch.gif

JSexton
05-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Now I can't watch the trailer because of a copyright claim by Disney. Fuck you Disney.

Yeah, I'm baffled at the idea of a company requesting takedown of a COMMERCIAL. Someone needs to rethink their advertising strategy if you're putting up barriers to people watching commercials.

Plumpudding
05-20-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm really looking forward to this movie, if only for two reasons: First of all, Rocket Racoon, hopefully as some sort of anthro-mix between Wolverine and The Punisher, and second, finally a role that plays off Vin Diesels strengths as an actor.

Dr_Doom
05-20-2014, 11:09 AM
It's still up at io9:

Thank You.

I'm really looking forward to this. I'm still not quite sold on Zoe Saldana as Gamora, though.

Agree. I think what they've done with her eyebrows/lack thereof detracts heavily from what little they've left themselves to work with re: the character's sex appeal after not having her as scantily-clad as she has been portrayed in the comics. Nice tight leather butt shot, though.

Yeah, I'm baffled at the idea of a company requesting takedown of a COMMERCIAL. Someone needs to rethink their advertising strategy if you're putting up barriers to people watching commercials.

I have so been looking forward to a second trailer for GotG, and this one was great, but now I hope that there are no more. I thought the over-saturation of ASM2 images/video in the weeks/months leading up to that film was highly annoying (strangely, or not, apt, considering the horrible main theme music of that movie).

I'd hate to see GotG spoiled similarly by revealing too much, even in lightning-quick cuts and scene snippets.

Yllaria
05-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Is it sad that I want to hear it with all of the trailer's drums?

Drunky Smurf
05-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Oh man this looks like a lot of fun.

Johnny Angel
06-10-2014, 09:59 AM
I just came across the second trailer looking around for how far behind I am in the Marvel films, since I hardly get out to the theater anymore. I saw it at the Marvel site itself (http://marvel.com/videos/watch/4034/marvels_guardians_of_the_galaxy_-_trailer_2).

Rocket Racoon puts me in mind of the Shofixti pilots in The Ur-Quan Masters (aka, Star Control II). But apparently there isn't an entire species like him, and he predates the game.

The Marvel site also has the TV Spot 1 (http://marvel.com/videos/watch/4189/marvels_guardians_of_the_galaxy_-_tv_spot_1), in which the movie looks very meh. My marketing foo is too weak to penetrate whom they intended to titillate by hiding the movie's best assets. The Second Spot (http://marvel.com/videos/watch/4211/marvels_guardians_of_the_galaxy_-_tv_spot_2) is more like it, but hopefully people are watching the internet trailers. Also, hopefully the movie is as fun as it looks on the internet.

DZedNConfused
06-10-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm in! hahaha

I have the original Rocket Raccoon mini series in a box somewhere

Still Riddick as a tree.. this is gonna be good!

D.E.S.K.Top668
06-11-2014, 08:42 PM
I remember The Guardians of the Galaxy from the Avengers storyline "The Korvac Saga" of the mid seventies. My next recollection is from their self-titled comic in the (mid-to-late) 90's(?) where they seek out the decedents of mutants (AKA X-Men Great grandkids.)
This movie doesn't remind me of either incarnation, but I'm fine with that. It looks like it will be terribly funny and knowing the comic book history of the group won't change that either way.

Larry Borgia
06-17-2014, 12:24 PM
New trailer. (http://io9.com/new-guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-looks-really-reall-1591900064?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow)

ETA: Looks a lot better than the other trailers, IMO. Could be good, though who knows. Still skeptical of this things profitability.

Intergalactic Gladiator
06-17-2014, 01:24 PM
The more I see the trailers, the more I want to see this movie. This thing looks incredible.

Skammer
06-17-2014, 01:30 PM
I don't think it's as good as the last trailer - I think I miss the music soundtrack - but I'm still incredibly psyched for this movie.

Chronos
06-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Y'know, some movies, all the best bits show up in the trailers, and there's nothing new left in the theater. But with the way these trailers are going, I think we're approaching the point that even if the movie didn't have any other good bits, the ones in the trailers would be enough.

Bakhesh
06-18-2014, 04:07 AM
There is still nothing substantial in these trailers though. They are basically "Look, there are these guys, and they have to do a thing". If I didn't know the Marvel universe, I wouldn't have a clue what was going on yet

Alessan
06-18-2014, 04:10 AM
There is still nothing substantial in these trailers though. They are basically "Look, there are these guys, and they have to do a thing". If I didn't know the Marvel universe, I wouldn't have a clue what was going on yet

You'd rather they give away the entire plot?

Bakhesh
06-18-2014, 04:13 AM
No, I'm saying that's a good thing

Johnny Angel
06-19-2014, 06:18 PM
I do like the new trailer, with its previously unshown bits, but overall it makes the movie seem much more typical than the previous trailer did. And it certainly looks like it would be a great action flick.

Bryan Ekers
06-19-2014, 07:17 PM
New trailer. (http://io9.com/new-guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-looks-really-reall-1591900064?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow)

ETA: Looks a lot better than the other trailers, IMO. Could be good, though who knows. Still skeptical of this things profitability.

I dunno, this trailer looks like the material is going to be taken more seriously than it deserves. The Ooga-Chaka trailer was more lighthearted.

I'll see this movie, but I hope every time Chris Pratt says something inspiring, the other characters all laugh at him.

Johnny Angel
06-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Someone has constructed a Guardians of the Galaxy-style trailer for the Star Wars Trilogy:

http://youtu.be/TLyNMSkTiGg

You know, just in case we forget how much editing can have an influence on the way a movie comes across in a trailer.

silenus
06-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Now that was funny! And a good point to consider as well.

Intergalactic Gladiator
06-26-2014, 03:22 PM
There's another trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nPOhVCVA-uU

Intergalactic Gladiator
07-09-2014, 01:35 PM
I am Groot.

http://youtu.be/TU0X-xfj-rQ

Push You Down
07-09-2014, 02:46 PM
I went to the 17 minute sneak peek event on Monday.

Rocket is absolutely hilarious.

Chronos
07-09-2014, 09:08 PM
When is this movie being released, again?

Lasciel
07-09-2014, 09:21 PM
August 1st.

Not nearly soon enough.

Drunky Smurf
07-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Someone has constructed a Guardians of the Galaxy-style trailer for the Star Wars Trilogy:

http://youtu.be/TLyNMSkTiGg

You know, just in case we forget how much editing can have an influence on the way a movie comes across in a trailer.

That movie looks awesome. I might actually go to the theater to see it.

Intergalactic Gladiator
07-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Here's another one and she is longer. I'm getting to the point where I feel like I'm seeing too much of this. We're less than two weeks away and I feel like I've seen so many pieces already. I hope they're holding back on more of the good stuff.

http://youtu.be/EzI-U1Fh9zc

Malthus
07-22-2014, 10:15 AM
I've seen the trailer about a dozen times by now and I think this is going to be good. How can you not cheer for a gun toting raccoon? Unless it's in your trashcans, I guess.

I live in Toronto.

For those that live here ... a gun toting racoon cuts a little close to home. :D

Alessan
07-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Well, the initial reviews (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/)are in, and so far they're overwhelmingly positive.

simster
07-24-2014, 04:04 PM
I am groot

Alessan
07-24-2014, 04:07 PM
I am groot

I know, right?

levdrakon
07-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Well, the initial reviews (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/guardians_of_the_galaxy/)are in, and so far they're overwhelmingly positive.!00% fresh, 99% want to see.

Not a bad start.

Larry Borgia
08-07-2014, 12:14 PM

Who the hell is this idiot, and why hasn't he been banned yet?
(Seriously, glad to see this is doing well. Will see it soon.)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.