PDA

View Full Version : Omnivores - Your Go To Vegetarian Dish?

AnthonyElite
02-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Title says it all - for those of you who eat everything, what is your favorite vegetarian dish?

A long while back I started planning 1 vegetarian dish per week. I did so because I have a true love for animals, but was raised on meat. I don't think I could go full vegetarian, and I would never go vegan, but I can sacrifice a meal a week. I am also very meticulous about saving meat. I always buy fresh, try for free range and humanitarian farming. I buy big packs, split them up into 4oz meal portions and freeze them. Really the only food I throw out is plant scraps and the occasional unripened fruit.

Some days, when I feel like the world is getting so crowded, I look at my dogs and imagine a day that they too would be on someone's plate because perhaps one day that is all that will be left. So I buckle down and say FINE! I'll have TWO meals a week, now I'm doubling my impact! :D

My current favorite dish:

Eggplant Parm

kayT
02-24-2014, 02:48 PM
In my opinion, eggplant is not a food. It is completely inedible. If I want to go meatless I choose some form of beans. Today it was a bean and cheese burrito with sour cream. I know some would say I am imprisoning those cows and stealing their milk, but alas, I can't give up dairy. At least the cow lives through it.

gigi
02-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Veggie lasagna -- the kind with white sauce/ricotta and not red sauce.

Or pasta alfredo.

Chronos
02-24-2014, 02:56 PM
My favorite would be pieroghis. But there are plenty of options: Most pasta dishes do just fine without meat, for instance.

EDIT:
Veggie lasagna -- the kind with white sauce/ricotta and not red sauce.
Or the kind with red sauce, too. There's nothing that says that red lasagna must contain meat, nor that white lasagna must be vegetarian.

Cartoonacy
02-24-2014, 02:59 PM
To each his own. I'm not a vegetarian, but I've never found a vegetable that I didn't like (except for beets), and eggplant ties with spinach for my favorite. Eggplant parmigiana is my personal favorite dish, but my specialty is a vegetarian chili using shredded homemade seitan (http://vegetarian.about.com/od/cookingtipstools/ss/HowToSeitan.htm)instead of beef. Seitan is a meat substitute that's easy to make and high in protein and B vitamins, but being made of wheat gluten, is out of the question if you have celiac disease or a wheat allergy.

Note on the seitan recipe I linked to above: If I'm making it for chili, I use cayenne pepper or paprika in place of the ginger. I also like to add a shot of tomato paste for color, and a few drops of liquid smoke for flavor.

RealityChuck
02-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Salad.

If you mean cooked food, then lima beans.

If you mean an actual recipe, it would probably be stuffed mushrooms or eggplant parm.

LibrarySpy
02-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Spinach and cheese quesadillas

Spinach lasagna

Spinach and artichoke dip

Sensing a theme?

Mr. Miskatonic
02-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Falafel!

MsWhich
02-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Black bean chili. Spicy and delicious.

DrDeth
02-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Mac & cheese.

Pasta.

Quesadillas.

Cheese.

Cartoonacy
02-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Falafel!

This.

I've also learned that falafel seasoned generously with Old Bay Seasoning and served with tartar sauce makes pretty darn good mock crab cakes.

Broomstick
02-24-2014, 03:20 PM
A "garbage" stir fry with chickpeas instead of meat, or tofu instead of meat and whatever suitable vegetables I have in the fridge.

Potato and leek soup (we had that for lunch today!)

Noodles and vegetables in homemade dashi broth

Mac and cheese

Hummus and pita bread with vegetables or fruit on the side

Big Salad with bread topped with butter, cheese, or olive oil

Baked potato with salad or fruit

Roll stuffed with spinach and cheese.

My spouse likes red beans and rice, or refried beans on crackers or taco shell, again additional vegetables or salad might be added.

snowthx
02-24-2014, 03:41 PM
My spouse likes red beans and rice, or refried beans on crackers or taco shell, again additional vegetables or salad might be added.

Yep, I was going to say beans and rice. Easy to make at home.

Snack: hummus and pita chips.

Restaurant: falafel (served gyros-style, slathered with tzatziki).

ThisUsernameIsForbidden
02-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Pizza--vegetarian toppings abound.

percypercy
02-24-2014, 04:07 PM
As others have said mac and cheese. I've always loved it.

papergirl
02-24-2014, 04:13 PM
I make what I call Vegan Succotash, although I don't think it is really. But it's spicy, beany, hearty, and vegan. I freeze it up and add it to stews or eat it as it, OR add sausage to it. Good over rice, alone, or in a burrito shell.
Chips and salsa is totally a meal at my house, too!

Digital is the new Analog
02-24-2014, 04:23 PM
I've been eating a lentil stew (http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-barley-stew-207305) recently. I add some Worcestershire sauce as well.

I make tacos with tofu crumbles. And I used to stir fry tofu cubes with apples, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and some other stuff, in teriyaki sauce.

RobDog
02-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Tarka dal and rice.

Cartoonacy
02-24-2014, 04:37 PM
I make what I call Vegan Succotash

Succotash is just beans and corn. It's already vegan.

That Don Guy
02-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Lasagne w/meatless tomato sauce

A close second is straightforward macaroni & cheese, followed by spaghetti w/the aforementioned meatless sauce

Gangster Octopus
02-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Fettuccine Alfredo

Tara57
02-24-2014, 05:43 PM
I love many vegetable incarnations of Tex-Mex standards -- cheese, refried beans, black beans, potatoes, and/or spinach in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, etc. I make black bean and sweet potato burritos at home.

I love all kinds of vegetable soups. I made potato soup yesterday.

Indian vegetarian dishes are delicious. My favorites are palak paneer, aloo mutter, and chana dal. These I eat out or buy the MRE style pouches.

gaffa
02-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Indian vegetarian dishes are delicious. My favorites are palak paneer, aloo mutter, and chana dal. These I eat out or buy the MRE style pouches.
My default "vegetarian dish" is an Indian or Pakistani buffet. If I have a vegetarian guest, that is always my first choice to take them where they will get excellent food and a good selection.

kiz
02-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Linguine tossed with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, a splash of basalmic vinegar, and sprinkled with Parmesan.

dracoi
02-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Pinto beans (with salt, pepper and cayenne, finished with butter) and cornbread is a complete meal for me. Bonus points because you can do the cornbread with honey as a dessert. (For some meat flavor, ham hock or ham bones in the beans is nice, but not necessary)

Bean and cheese burritos are another go-to.

Vegetarian lasagna works pretty well, especially if you duplicate the flavorings that a normal recipe would pick up from the Italian sausage. I use portobello mushrooms, eggplant and zucchini for the layers that used to have meat, but any veggies you like will work.

PapSett
02-24-2014, 08:37 PM
A big ol' salad. Love 'em.

Doctor Who
02-24-2014, 08:52 PM
Black bean tacos -

(1) saute a couple of small onions (diced) until soft.

(2) add two regular sized cans of black beans (drained, but not excessively so)

(3) add 2 tblsp chili powder, 2 tblsp cumin, 1 tblsp soy sauce, and 2 tblsp syrup. Yes, regular ol' maple syrup.

(4) turn the heat down and cook it gently for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve with warmed up tortillas and all the fixings - i.e. salsa, cheese (if you allow that), lettuce, tomato, etc.

Yes, the spice amounts seem excessive (those are tablespoons!) but it balances out very nicely. And the syrup gives it a certain je ne sais quoi.

Broomstick
02-24-2014, 08:57 PM
If you're cooking beans you need a lot more spices than you would for meat or cheese. Beans, and to some extent the grains that often go with them, really soak up flavorings.

SeaDragonTattoo
02-24-2014, 08:59 PM
I don't eat fast food any more, with an exception. Bean tacos from Taco Bell. Just order regular tacos and ask for beans instead of meat.

My favorite thing at home is chana masala. I love it so much I learned to make it myself so I don't have to spend a fortune buying it from restaurants.

Evil Captor
02-24-2014, 09:25 PM
I like most vegetables, especially southern style, which is not EXACTLY vegetarian as they often have bacon fat or hamhocks or something like that in the broth for flavor. Mostly I eat them as sides with meat, but a plate of butter beans, collard greens, black eyed peas and a corn muffin leaves me very happy indeed.

pulykamell
02-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I think I'd go with falafel, as well. That's some damned good stuff. Also a big fan of eggplant, especially in baba ganouj, but that's not really a main dish. All the vegetarian Indian stuff is fine by me. Plus my favorite Italian pasta dishes tend to be vegetarian, so there's all that. And I love eggs. I eat meat almost every day, but I don't think it would be difficult for me to go ovo-lacto vegetarian. Vegan would be much more difficult, but not impossible.

Chronos
02-24-2014, 10:45 PM
While we're on the subcontinent, Nepali daal bhat is also quite good. Basically, rice, spiced lentil sauce, and assorted green veggies, with hot peppers optional. Unfortunately I don't have a recipe, though.

the_diego
02-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Spaghetti with a tomato, garlic, olive oil, basil, and capers sauce.

Rick Kitchen
02-25-2014, 12:49 AM
I've been eating a lentil stew (http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-barley-stew-207305) recently. I add some Worcestershire sauce as well.

I make tacos with tofu crumbles. And I used to stir fry tofu cubes with apples, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and some other stuff, in teriyaki sauce.

Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it, thus not vegetarian.

My favorite vegetarian dish is elbow macaroni with canned tomatoes, fixed up with herbs and garlic.

Rick Kitchen
02-25-2014, 12:50 AM
I don't eat fast food any more, with an exception. Bean tacos from Taco Bell. Just order regular tacos and ask for beans instead of meat.

Don't they have lard in them?

SeaDragonTattoo
02-25-2014, 01:06 AM
Don't they have lard in them?Nope. They're vegan. Doesn't mean they're good for you, but no animal products in the beans at all.

araminty
02-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Soup. SOOOOP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2zdQgpB18k)!

Soup, soup, a tasty soup, soup,
A spicy carrot and coriander,
Chili chowder,
Crouton, crouton.
Crunchy friends in a liquid broth!
I am gaspatch-eeo, oh!
I am a summer soup, mmm!
Miso, miso, fighting in the dojo,
Miso, miso, Oriental prince in the land of soup!

MrDibble
02-25-2014, 03:14 AM
Couscous with spicy tomato and chickpea sauce.
Mushroom risotto
Chip butties.

Novelty Bobble
02-25-2014, 04:05 AM
Tarka dal and rice.

I prefer a Chana dal but Tarka dal is great when you want something a little 'otter.........

a-bumpt'ish

I'm here all week, tip your waitress, try the veal

shit!...no, not the veal....the hummus, the hummus.

BleizDu
02-25-2014, 05:17 AM
We ourselves probably eat meat once or twice a week at most, but our go-to veg dish to bring to a potluck is a leek/cheese quiche. Easily converted to vegan by dropping the cheese and butter.

gigi
02-25-2014, 08:09 AM
We ourselves probably eat meat once or twice a week at most, but our go-to veg dish to bring to a potluck is a leek/cheese quiche. Easily converted to vegan by dropping the cheese and butter.

What's left in a quiche without cheese? Can it even be called a quiche...

RobDog
02-25-2014, 08:14 AM

Sounds like it becomes custard.

Motorgirl
02-25-2014, 08:23 AM

And eggs? Can you make a quiche without eggs? :D

iiandyiiii
02-25-2014, 08:41 AM
A big vegetable stew, including whole mushrooms (not sliced). We have the same sort of weekly schedule -- trying to go meatless once or twice a week. We usually make a big stew, often with lentils, and tons of other veggies -- mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, onions, peppers, tomatoes, sometimes okra, peas, celery, squash, and any other veggies you like. If it's seasoned well, it almost tastes like beef stew without the beef. We season with Zatarain's creole seasoning, sriracha hot sauce, salt and pepper, garlic, and sometimes bouillon cubes.

Broomstick
02-25-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm sort of interested by all the people who deliberately go meatless a certain number of times a week. In my house we don't have a "meatless" schedule, it's just that some of what we like to eat just doesn't happen to have meat in it. So, we don't think "let's eat vegetarian for lunch" we think "Oh, doesn't potato soup or stuffed rolls sound good today?"

If you schedule your vegetarianism is it a ridged schedule? Do you sometimes throw in an extra meatless meal just because you have a taste for that particular thing?

LVBoPeep
02-25-2014, 09:14 AM
I'm sort of interested by all the people who deliberately go meatless a certain number of times a week. In my house we don't have a "meatless" schedule, it's just that some of what we like to eat just doesn't happen to have meat in it. So, we don't think "let's eat vegetarian for lunch" we think "Oh, doesn't potato soup or stuffed rolls sound good today?"

If you schedule your vegetarianism is it a ridged schedule? Do you sometimes throw in an extra meatless meal just because you have a taste for that particular thing?

I have been trying to go meatless twice a day during the week for about four months now. I did it to help cut back calories without making that much of an effort and to encourage myself to eat more vegetables. Because my SO hates most vegetables (he will eat the holy trinity of corn, carrots or green beans and that's it :P) it's a pain to go very veggie-heavy at dinner. But by going vegetarian at breakfast or lunch, I can make up for that.

My go-to really is just sauteing whatever veggies I have handy- sometimes in a little butter, sometimes in garlic and olive oil with a dash of white wine - well-seasoning it and mixing it with pasta. Or I'll roast the veggies instead- asparagus and roasted tomatoes is especially good. I do end up adding fats to most of my veggie meals whether it's feta cheese in my salads or grated hard cheese and a little butter in my pasta.

For quick breakfast, I grab Lean Pockets three-cheese spinach or have some hummus and pretzel chips. Another great ready-made lunch (probably my favorite of any frozen entree) is Michelango's Eggplant Parmesan. Amazingly good for frozen food. I also like those Green Giant Cheesy Broccoli sides. I usually add more sauteed or roasted veggies to that as well.

MsWhich
02-25-2014, 09:29 AM
And eggs? Can you make a quiche without eggs? :D

This is really bugging me now. Quiche is basically an egg-and-cheese custard in a pie crust. If you take out all the ingredients that aren't vegan, you are left with: a pie crust. What the hell is a vegan quiche?!

Chronos
02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
My mom has a few black bean soups that are absolutely delicious, but I have no idea how to make them. I ought to learn.

I know that one of them has pumpkin in it.

Pixel_Dent
02-25-2014, 10:02 AM
This is really bugging me now. Quiche is basically an egg-and-cheese custard in a pie crust. If you take out all the ingredients that aren't vegan, you are left with: a pie crust. What the hell is a vegan quiche?!

Well I was curious too so I googled it. Apparently there are lots of "quiche" recipes that replace the eggs and cheese with Tofu. It sounds pretty vile to me but de gustibus non disputandum.

As for my own contribution to the thread, my go to vegan dish for when I have to make one is Molly Katzen's Firecracker Red Beans served with pineapple rice.

Rachellelogram
02-25-2014, 10:33 AM
I'm an omnivore. I eat vegetarian dishes all the time without thinking about it. One of those steamer veggie bags for lunch one day, could be popcorn the next. Cheese tortellini in vodka sauce is a good, filling meal. Or a biiig pot of homemade mac n cheese.

Sailboat
02-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Well I was curious too so I googled it. Apparently there are lots of "quiche" recipes that replace the eggs and cheese with Tofu. It sounds pretty vile to me but de gustibus non disputandum.

Since tofu has essentially no taste and gets its flavor from the food it's cooked with, I usually assume people who hate tofu don't like the texture. But the texture of quiche is sufficiently tofulike I am having trouble imagining why anyone who likes traditional quiche would find tofu quiche "vile."

panache45
02-25-2014, 11:43 AM
In my opinion, eggplant is not a food. It is completely inedible.

In my opinion, beans are not a food. They are completely inedible.

How about an eggplant/spinach/mushroom/onion/garlic/mozzarella/seasonings pizza.

Digital is the new Analog
02-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it, thus not vegetarian.

I don't always put it in. :)
But good point, for this thread.

Chronos
02-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Tofu does get its flavor from what it's cooked with, but you'd better have plenty of flavor to go around, because otherwise you just end up with an entire dish that doesn't taste like much of anything.

teela brown
02-25-2014, 02:56 PM
I go to a southern Indian vegetarian buffet about once a week. Does that count?

And I don't go for any political, health, or philosophical reason. I go because the old Indian lady who cooks there is the best damned cook ever. I could eat her dhal or muttar paneer until I explode. Not to mention the homemade onion-stuffed paratta bread or the cardamom rice pudding.

However, low-carb it is not.

Oh, and as a direct answer to the question posed in the OP, I like to sometimes have a huge honking artichoke as my entire meal. Especially this time of year, when the big winter ones are in season.

QuickSilver
02-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Raw: Fresh salads of various types of greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, etc....

Cooked: Any vegetable grilled with olive oil and garlic and balsamic and fresh chopped herbs.

Legumes: Love 'em but they aren't vegetables, people!

Pasta, etc.: Neither are pasta, or grains, or tofu!

QuickSilver
02-25-2014, 03:16 PM
"Vegetarian", not "Vegetable" dish.

sigh... I can't read. :smack:

BleizDu
02-25-2014, 04:14 PM

I'm so sorry for your confusion, I had a brain fart and mixed up 3 things I regularly cook:
- quiches, which are usually made without cheese in france, save for sometimes shredded cheese on top. Just an eggs x milk or eggs x crème fraiche mixture on top of whatever you put on the dough.
I can make vegan quiches using agar-agar or cornmeal instead of eggs (and switching to soya/rice milk, whatever) but I've only done it a few times to experiment. (I'm not vegan but I like to play around cooking it, or trying gluten free recipes, for another exemple)
So forget about me talking about easily turning quiches vegan by just removing the cheese. :smack:

-savory tarts
chopped veggies/onions + shredded cheese (how I usually make them, hence it's easy to turn them vegan)

-savory pies
same as above for the filling, with maybe some crème fraiche added. But good too without any cheese or cream.

Cartoonacy
02-25-2014, 05:28 PM
A great vegan substitute for whipped cream or sour cream is cashew cream. As I've said, I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but like BleizDu, I like experimenting.

Take a cup or two of raw, unsalted cashews and soak them for at least 8 hours in a bowl of water in the refrigerator. Drain and rinse, then put them in a high-speed blender with just enough cold water to cover them. (I prefer to blend only a half cup of nuts at a time.) Blend at the highest speed for 3-5 minutes, adding more water if you want a thinner cream.

Mixed with some herbs and chopped onion, it makes a great dip. With a little sugar and vanilla, it's a dessert topping. A bit of vinegar or lemon juice turns it into a sour cream substitute. I like it by itself in coffee, on oatmeal, or spread on a bagel.

SeaDragonTattoo
02-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Cartoonacy, that sounds really good. I recently tried a cashew cheese that's also delicious. It's fermented, so not sure how to make it at home, but the store bought stuff was quite good though expensive. Perfect for taking as a host/ess gift to a gathering if the host is vegan.

Full Metal Lotus
02-25-2014, 07:39 PM
Tofu, and greens, fried in soy sauce, brown sugar and cayenne

Rick Kitchen
02-25-2014, 08:50 PM
raw, unsalted cashews

Aren't raw cashews poisonous?

Jeff Lichtman
02-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Mine is African Vegetable Stew (http://www.lysator.liu.se/etexts/recept/us/african-stew.html). I submitted that recipe to the Usenet Cookbook back in 1986. As it happens, I made it last night and have leftovers in the fridge.

SeaDragonTattoo
02-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Aren't raw cashews poisonous?No. Just the shells. That's why you never see cashews sold in-shell.

Shalmanese
02-26-2014, 12:28 AM
I don't get it when people say that tofu has no flavor. Maybe if you're buying flavorless tofu, it has no flavor but great tofu has plenty of flavor. A common Chinese dish is just plain silken tofu with a bit of soy sauce and scallions scattered over the top. With high quality tofu, it's delicious.

purplehorseshoe
02-26-2014, 12:32 AM
Mine is African Vegetable Stew (http://www.lysator.liu.se/etexts/recept/us/african-stew.html). I submitted that recipe to the Usenet Cookbook back in 1986. As it happens, I made it last night and have leftovers in the fridge.

How is there enough liquid in the pot to cook a half-cup of rice? Do you add the liquid from the canned garbanzos?

Reading over it, I'd be tempted to throw in some curry powder or something like that. Also maybe topping with some chopped peanuts for crunch - common in some parts of Africa but not sure where this recipe originates. Would the world stop spinning on its axis if I did one or both?

ETA: oops, forgot mine: quinoa or amaranth, simmered with minced onion, garlic, and carrot.

aruvqan
02-26-2014, 05:41 AM
I love tofu - I either buy the already pressed stuff, or make tofu and press it to make it ultrafirm. If you nuke it to warm little chunks and toss them in melted velveeta cheese it comes out tasting exactly like Kraft Dinner. If you toss them in melted butter and A-1 sauce, it is umami heaven and takes away the protein cravings. If you toss them in the classic Anchor Bar wing sauce [Frank's Hot Sauce and Butter/Margerine] they taste just like wings, and if you deep fry the tofu cubes you can get a nice bit of crunch in the outside for the almost wing skin effect.

And as a sort of comfort food effect, I make a vegan minestrone that we love and is dead easy to do - bag of the mixed legumes the one I use is the one that has like 13 or 15 different types, a couple of the largest cans of stewed tomato with basil pr whole plum tomato in sauce with basil, about 3 tablespoons of italian seasoning, about a tablespoon of ground pepper, quarter teaspoon of tabasco sauce, about a cup of red wine, 2 cups of chopped onions, 2 cups chopped celery, 2 cups of chopped carrots, 1 cup chopped bell pepper OR cubanell pepper, water or veggie broth to cover. Simmer until veggies are tender, chuck in 1 cup dry ditali pasta and simmer until al dente. Correct seasoning on soup with salt pepper or hot sauce. Plop pot on the table with a few loaves of bread, a huge bowl of salad and some good red wine or ice tea.

AHunter3
02-26-2014, 10:49 AM
In my opinion, eggplant is not a food. It is completely inedible. If I want to go meatless I choose some form of beans. Today it was a bean and cheese burrito with sour cream. I know some would say I am imprisoning those cows and stealing their milk, but alas, I can't give up dairy. At least the cow lives through it.

Eggplant is not a food, but it can be forced to resemble it (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=102566).

Jeff Lichtman
02-26-2014, 12:54 PM
How is there enough liquid in the pot to cook a half-cup of rice? Do you add the liquid from the canned garbanzos?

There's enough liquid from the tomatoes. If you use canned tomatoes, add the juice. Fresh tomatoes release quite a lot of liquid when you cook them.

As for peanuts, I often do use them as a topping for this dish.

Stoid
02-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Cheese. With cheese. In cheese sauce. With cheese on the side.

Chronos
02-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Stoid, that sounds like a chupaqueso (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2003-09-06).

amarinth
02-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Vegetarian: pasta with some kind of dairy.
I don't do vegan.

Mclovin
02-27-2014, 08:54 AM
It surely wasn't created with vegetarianism in mind, but done right, pizza margherita is damn near culinary perfection.

aruvqan
02-27-2014, 09:56 AM
It surely wasn't created with vegetarianism in mind, but done right, pizza margherita is damn near culinary perfection.
Got to agree with this. Same with a really great batch of fettuccine Alfredo (http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fettuccine_alfredo/).

Pixel_Dent
02-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Since tofu has essentially no taste and gets its flavor from the food it's cooked with, I usually assume people who hate tofu don't like the texture. But the texture of quiche is sufficiently tofulike I am having trouble imagining why anyone who likes traditional quiche would find tofu quiche "vile."

Well, in my opinion Tofu does more than have no taste, it actually repels taste. Any attempt to get it to acquire taste via seasoning or marinade is in vain. So I'm imagining a tofu quiche would be vegetables suspended in a tasteless matrix.

Actually I don't mind Tofu at all when it's really well blended with something else that has a lot of flavor. I really just don't like it when it's left in chunks. One of my favorite dessert recipes is a tofu, banana, chocolate mousse.

I was discussing this whole thing yesterday with a friend and we found a vegan quiche recipe that uses chickpea flour, herbs, and yeast for the "quiche" filling (along with whatever vegetables). That actually sounds good and we're going to try that recipe out.

shiftless
02-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Spaghetti with a tomato, garlic, olive oil, basil, and capers sauce.

This is basically what I do when there's no meat in the fridge. Saute some onion and garlic in olive oil. Deglaze with some red wine. Throw in some garlic, tomato sauce and what ever herbs might be around. A ton of wilted basil is excellent, or maybe a little basil and a ton of spinach. Capers, anchovies, cheese, mushrooms: the list of things you can add goes on forever, depending on whether you are going vegan, vegetarian or carnivore.

Jeff Lichtman
02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
I just thought of another that I make every summer when the good tomatoes come in: spaghetti with raw tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. I got the recipe from an old Dover book of pasta recipes. All of the ingredients are raw except for the spaghetti.

GargoyleWB
02-27-2014, 01:28 PM
Omelet, stuffed with cream cheese, peppers, onions. A side of home fries, heavy on the garlic.

BleizDu
02-28-2014, 02:27 AM
Actually I don't mind Tofu at all when it's really well blended with something else that has a lot of flavor. I really just don't like it when it's left in chunks. One of my favorite dessert recipes is a tofu, banana, chocolate mousse.

I don't care for chunks of tofu that have been marinated, but I am a huge fan of slices of tofu fried in a regular oil/sesame seed oil/soya sauce mix.

aruvqan
02-28-2014, 06:40 AM
I don't care for chunks of tofu that have been marinated, but I am a huge fan of slices of tofu fried in a regular oil/sesame seed oil/soya sauce mix.
Pressing it to firm up the texture makes a huge difference. It smushes out the excess water and the more meaty textured version seems to absorb liquid born flavoring better afterwards. I like to simmer ginger, garlic, about a single pointy thing off a star anise, a single whole clove and about an inch of cinnamon stick, soy sauce and sake together and strain out the solids while the tofu is being pressed, and then to let the tofu marinate for 3 or 4 hours in the fridge, it seems to be really nicely flavored and makes great deep fried tofu chunks. [These are one of my more favorite stick a cocktail toothpick in it thype hors d'oeuvres. Add duck sauce thinned out with some pineapple juice and hot mustard and they are baconless crack for vegetarians!] Cut into really fine cubes, like 1/3 inch and they go great in miso based soups [favorite combo is scallion, spinach and tofu cube white miso soup] and it can even be tossed onto a salad in place of chunked blue cheese, stuffed into kalamata olives in place of dead goat piss cheese, stuffed into dates in place of cream cheese, garlic cloves or almonds, an dprobably more types of cheese replacement.

It always blows peoples minds when they see me ordering a steak after seeing me eat all these tofu vegetarian foods :p I just don't mind going meatless with a fair amount of frequency as long as whatever I am eating tastes good. Our roomie seems to think if an animal doesn't die it isn't a meal. She also considers pizza a snack and gets grumpy when we plan dinner and it is pizza and a salad. We always have to kick in something dead like an order of chicken wings, ribs or make her a sub sandwich instead of the pizza. :rolleyes:

August West
02-28-2014, 09:21 AM
I could eat gallons of "Texas Caviar". I make it with Pinto beans, Black beans, black-eyed peas, scallions, jalapenos or hot cherry peppers, tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, olive oil and lime juice.

Falafel in a pita with the "caviar" is pretty tasty as well.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.