PDA

View Full Version : Voices/sound effects inaudible in movie sound mix?

grude
06-08-2014, 06:40 PM
For the record now I am not hearing voices:)

Anyway for a week or two I had to use a busted home theater setup, I forget if the issue was just having to use mono or if there was also a missing channel but the result was that in movies the sound was "off".

But still able to hear, but for whatever reason you could also hear normally inaudible bits of uh background dialogue and sound effects. I don't remember the movies exactly but stuff I remember.

"girls, girls, girls" said during a scene where a group of girls is met.

Cackling witch noise when a scary house was seen(no witches in the movie).

"kiss em/him?" take a guess.

This is not part of the dialogue and was not normally audible, is there a name for this?

I think I remember back when LOST was airing, certain episodes had hidden audio like this and some boards had links to samples.

gotpasswords
06-12-2014, 11:23 PM
Just a crazy WAG, but was the center channel out? The mix tends to be very center-heavy, with the front left/right mainly giving "width" and the rear channels giving "depth" but the mix (or your surround processor) isn't perfect so if you had to turn up the volume to hear dialog, the surround channels were playing louder than normal and unobstructed.

Joey P
06-12-2014, 11:38 PM
Like gotpasswords said, if you can't hear the voices, make sure your center channel isn't messed up. Also, since turning the center channel off will send the voices to the front speakers, it often means that center channel just got disconnected so start by checking that the wires are connected at the speaker and receiver....did you do any cleaning lately that may have involved moving the speaker around or jostling the cabling? That'll do it.

Also, it's not that the you're hearing sound effects that weren't there, it's just that without the center channel you A)could hear them more clearly and B)likely turned the volume up which made them louder (some of the voice does come through the other speakers).

It's interesting how many other sounds there are in a movie that you never paid attention to, isn't it.

So, to start, make sure the speaker wire on the front/center speaker is fully connected at both ends. Start there, report back.

Pixel_Dent
06-13-2014, 11:11 AM
This is not part of the dialogue and was not normally audible, is there a name for this?

Well, any sound which isn't coming from a visible or implied source is "Non-Diegetic." That's not a great answer though since it usually refers to things like the film score. I'm not sure I've heard of a term for the kind of semi subliminal sounds you're asking about.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.