PDA

View Full Version : How is there not a Tony thread yet?!

jayjay
06-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Consider this the one, then.

I'm still watching and marshalling my thoughts. Talk amongst yerselves...

jayjay
06-08-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about the Aladdin song...it's like they tried to actually script a Robin Williams drug-fueled improv session and got more Rip Taylor than Robin Williams.

NPH's Hedwig is awesome. If I were going to see one show, it would be that one with that cast.

jayjay
06-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Forgot Audra! I love Audra! I could listen to her sing the phone book. So happy she got her sixth!

Fiveroptic
06-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Setting a record at that! I love Audra and I'm very happy for her. Actually, I'd have been happy to see any of the women nominated for best actor in a play win tonight. I have a soft spot for Tyne Daly, though.

jayjay
06-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Well, that was not surprising. He's playing an awesome Hedwig.

Fiveroptic
06-08-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm pretty happy with all the wins tonight. How awesome was it to see Stephen Trask and John Cameron Mitchell together on the stage again?

randwill
06-08-2014, 10:26 PM
What? We had two songs from shows that have not yet appeared on Broadway yet no songs from at least one (Bridges of Madison County) show that has been on Broadway?

Andiethewestie
06-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Hubby and I went to see Audra McDonald and Bryan Cranston in their respective winning plays at Easter and I have to say these wins were so well deserved. Audra is just an incredible singer, she gave me chills as Billie Holiday. I didn't think that julliard trained soprano could pull off the greatest of jazz singers but she did it, magnificently.

And Bryan Cranston made me have sympathy for LBJ no mean feat! He was excellent. What a masterful acting tour de force.

Don't know the other plays but I want to see Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder.

Fiveroptic
06-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Yeah, just from the one number from GG that I saw has made me want the soundtrack.

DaphneBlack
06-09-2014, 12:21 AM
So pleased with Audra and Jessie Mueller's wins.

I directed Jessie in a play in high school!

Hoops
06-09-2014, 03:07 AM
I missed Neil Patrick Harris as host. Obviously Jackman is no slouch, and the ladies clearly love him (many of the boys too, presumably), but Harris was just born to host the Tonys. It's a shame that he was essentially disqualified, being an actual nominee.

He deserved the win, too. I saw his Hedwig last week, and it was a blast! (Though my wife--the real theatre maven of the family--did not love Lena Hall's Yitzhak, finding her insufficiently manly.)

The whole Tony show seemed a bit off to me, a bit half-assed. Not the numbers, but the show in general. WTF with the bouncing intro? The whole thing seemed cheesy--which you might say in answer what do you expect from the Tonys?--but the past couple ones just seemed more clever and a bit more meta. And again that might be down to Neil Patrick Harris' influence.

Andiethewestie
06-09-2014, 07:59 AM
NPH was a great host, Jackman is very talented, but for me NPH has a real edgy delivery and his opening number was a show stopper last season. Speaking of show stoppers, my all time favorite musical number from the Tony's was Michael Jeter in Grand Hotel. He was just an amazing dancer and entertainer, and back in 1990 they used to give a bit of a synopsis of the nominated shows. This made me want book a ticket to broadway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNtatAToFo8

Lamia
06-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Don't know the other plays but I want to see Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder.

Yeah, just from the one number from GG that I saw has made me want the soundtrack.I saw A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder last year at Christmas, choosing it primarily because I'd seen it listed online as one of the best shows one could expect to get reasonably-priced last-minute tickets for. I was glad to see that it got so many Tony nominations and the Best Musical award, because I really enjoyed it. The songs and performances were great, and I thought it was very funny as well.

The musical is based on the 1949 Alex Guinness movie Kind Hearts and Coronets, or on the novel that inspired the movie, and follows basically the same plot although there are some new characters and new plot twists in the musical.

randwill
06-09-2014, 08:25 AM
The whole Tony show seemed a bit off to me, a bit half-assed. Not the numbers, but the show in general. WTF with the bouncing intro?

I thought that was very stupid. At one point Jackman passed a monitor showing someone else bouncing so I assumed it had something to do with a popular YouTube video. But since I had never seen or heard of such a video the humor was lost on me.

tim-n-va
06-09-2014, 08:27 AM
I also was perplexed by the intro unless it was:

Jackman is Australian - Australia has kangaroos - kangaroos hop - Jackman will hop into the theater.

In that case it was just weak.

MissTake
06-09-2014, 08:38 AM
The bouncing thing was an homage to Bobby Van's "Take Me to Broadway" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dJgF3uWYUk) from Small Town Girl. Some other awards show did it last year, too, albeit in a much lesser way.

jayjay
06-09-2014, 08:47 AM
I really thought they missed a coup with using the current cast for the 10th Anniversary tribute for Wicked. They already had Idina performing. How hard would it have really been to invite Kristen to restage the ORIGINAL "For Good"? Hell, Kristen performs the song every time she's onstage. That disappointed me.

ETA: Then again, I can see Idina not wanting to go through makeup nightmare just for a 3 minute song. I still think it would have been epic.

Annie-Xmas
06-09-2014, 09:12 AM
THEY DID NOT BROADCAST THE IN MEMORIAN SEQUENCE! How could they omit that?

Kudos to Audra--I first took note of her in the 1994 revival of Carousel. I still have the Playbill, autographed by "Audra Ann McDonald." I just knew she was destined for stardom.

Similar prediction: Keep the name "Nikki M. James" in your brain. Her four lines as Eponine in the Les Miz number stole that song.

Bridges of Madison County got best score? Are you shitting me?

Sting should not be allowed near Broadway.

And big kudos to Neil Patrick Harris. He is a star.

Speaking of NPH, the opening number (hop, hop, hop, hop, hop.....) was tedious. Guess they knew they could never compete with last year's opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=danBaPWT09A&feature=kp). The best opening number for an awards show ever.

sachertorte
06-09-2014, 09:17 AM
I really thought they missed a coup with using the current cast for the 10th Anniversary tribute for Wicked. They already had Idina performing. How hard would it have really been to invite Kristen to restage the ORIGINAL "For Good"? Hell, Kristen performs the song every time she's onstage. That disappointed me.

ETA: Then again, I can see Idina not wanting to go through makeup nightmare just for a 3 minute song. I still think it would have been epic.

I think they were smart to put the current performers on. To me, it said, "yes, its been on Broadway for 10 years, but the current cast is still quite good. See? hear for yourself."

That Don Guy
06-09-2014, 10:11 AM
I haven't seen a Tonys in a while, but was that ever a regular thing?

At least the Tonys are starting to get respect. Remember when CBS threatened to end the telecast at 11 PM Eastern, even if the presenter for Best Musical was in the middle of, "And the Tony goes to"?

Fiveroptic
06-09-2014, 11:06 AM

This isn't the Oscars. The Tony Awards doesn't do a "memoriam," thankfully.

Similar prediction: Keep the name "Nikki M. James" in your brain. Her four lines as Eponine in the Les Miz number stole that song.

Nikki James has been very well known since playing Nabulungi in the original cast of "Book of Mormon." I agree that she's simply wonderful.

If NPH isn't busy starring in another hit I really hope he is back next year as host. I enjoyed the awards last night but it didn't reach the fun and originality that Neil brings when he emcees. But how much cooler was it for Doogie to be a winner this time? I'm very happy for him.

sachertorte
06-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Holy Crap. I didn't realize they did a performance of the upcoming Finding Neverland. I went to bed before that came up. I don't quite get why they are showing that (and Sting), but whatever. I'm excited because I have tickets to see it at A.R.T. in Cambridge. I was fortunate enough to see All the Way last Fall at A.R.T. too. A.R.T. is really on a roll. Here's to hoping Finding Neverland will be excellent too. If you live in the Boston area, getting tickets to A.R.T. is a great way to see Broadway quality shows before they hit Broadway. (Previously at A.R.T.: Porgy and Bess, Hair, Pippin, The Glass Menagerie).

corkboard
06-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Do you mean "How is there not a Hugh Jackman Broadway Musical Revue and Variety Show thread yet"?

MaxTheVool
06-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Seriously? My wife and I, big broadway fans, thought she was AWFUL. Screechy and not very well in tune, and completely jarred us out of an otherwise excellent performance.

I felt like she was so bad that she must either be having a completely off day, or a case of Tony nerves, or really bad miking, or something, because no professional broadway singer could sound that bad.

jayjay
06-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Seriously? My wife and I, big broadway fans, thought she was AWFUL. Screechy and not very well in tune, and completely jarred us out of an otherwise excellent performance.

I felt like she was so bad that she must either be having a completely off day, or a case of Tony nerves, or really bad miking, or something, because no professional broadway singer could sound that bad.

I have to agree with Max. I loved her performance in Book of Mormon (from the cast recording...haven't actually seen it), but she was very off last night. She wavered a lot and her voice was forced, like she was REALLY nervous.

Uncle Jocko
06-09-2014, 06:16 PM
I have to agree with Max. I loved her performance in Book of Mormon (from the cast recording...haven't actually seen it), but she was very off last night. She wavered a lot and her voice was forced, like she was REALLY nervous.

Our viewing group agrees, too. When she started to sing, we looked at each other like, "THAT'S the best performer they could find for Eponine?" She may be great in the actual show, but she was definitely not great in that Tony number ... whether that be nerves, a technical issue, or just an off night.

On another point, I know I'm in the minority of the viewing audience, but I would like to see more of the non-musical stuff shown during the Tony broadcast. They used to perform scenes from the nominated plays, or more recently show short filmed clips. In the last several years, you're lucky to get a line or two from any non-musical. Meanwhile, we get two - TWO - performances from musicals that haven't even opened yet, along with a number from a ten-year-old show.

Yeah, I know, TV viewers want the musical numbers, but I'm a theatre nerd who wants to see more acting, dammit!

Karen Lingel
06-09-2014, 06:38 PM
"Bridges of Madison County" didn't do a song because it is already closed.

I loved the "WTF" joke at the top of the show. I was howling for minutes. As the camera did a shot of NPH, his facial expression just put the cherry on top.

I don't think "If/Then" won anything, did it? Neither did "Cripple of Inishmaan".

Andiethewestie
06-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Our viewing group agrees, too. When she started to sing, we looked at each other like, "THAT'S the best performer they could find for Eponine?" She may be great in the actual show, but she was definitely not great in that Tony number ... whether that be nerves, a technical issue, or just an off night.

On another point, I know I'm in the minority of the viewing audience, but I would like to see more of the non-musical stuff shown during the Tony broadcast. They used to perform scenes from the nominated plays, or more recently show short filmed clips. In the last several years, you're lucky to get a line or two from any non-musical. Meanwhile, we get two - TWO - performances from musicals that haven't even opened yet, along with a number from a ten-year-old show.

Yeah, I know, TV viewers want the musical numbers, but I'm a theatre nerd who wants to see more acting, dammit!

I agree, given the political wonks and Bryan Cranston love on this board the audience would have positively LOVED a scene from All The Way.

Or if they had of given a minute to Lady Day, people would be stunned at how Audra captured the tragedy and the beauty of Billie Holliday.

fisha
06-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Was in the right place at the right time last night completely by accident, and was able to watch actors walk the red carpet. Very cool seeing NPH, Bryan Cranston, etc. Got a couple of lousy pics. Wish I was better at the celebrity identity game. It was fun, nonetheless.

Eyebrows 0f Doom
06-10-2014, 12:59 AM
This isn't the Oscars. The Tony Awards doesn't do a "memoriam," thankfully.

Yes they do, but they only showed it to the audience in Radio City during a commercial break, it was not broadcast to TV. (I was at the Tony rehearsal yesterday morning so I did see the In Memoriam segment.)

You can view it online here (http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE-TUBE-Watch-the-Tony-Awards-2013-14-In-Memoriam-Segment-20140609#.U5afJ87_o-A).

Add me to those who were really not impressed by Nikki M. James. I have not seen the new Les Mis revival yet, but her few lines as Eponine during the Tonys were awful. Screechy and unpleasant to listen to. She was no better at the rehearsal.

No one I spoke to at the rehearsal understood the opening number. We knew it was referencing the movie on the TV screen Jackman hopped past, but could not figure out the significance of why it was included. If an audience completely made of Broadway & theatre people didn't get it, why in the world did they think it would work for a wider television audience? :confused:

appleciders
06-12-2014, 01:07 AM
The Tony Administration Committee has announced that they're cutting the Tony awards for Sound Design of a Play and Sound Design of a Musical from regular competition. From now on, they're only awarding "Special Tony Awards to a production when it determines that extraordinary sound design has been achieved."

That's a terrible idea. Sound is at least as important as lighting, directing, costumes, or any of half a dozen other categories that they award. I hope there will be some blowback on this.

xnylder
06-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Speaking of NPH, the opening number (hop, hop, hop, hop, hop.....) was tedious. Guess they knew they could never compete with last year's opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=danBaPWT09A&feature=kp). The best opening number for an awards show ever.

Let's not forget that Jackman can also do an amazing opening number given time, cooperation, and budget... though I have no idea which factor or factors was missing this year.

2004 Tony Awards Opening, One Night Only (Youtube) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL4mx1SzUnU)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.