PDA

View Full Version : Parents do you make peanut butter sandwiches for your kids? What kind?

aceplace57
06-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Peanut butter sandwiches were a huge staple for Baby Boomer kids and kids in the 70's. I carried a peanut butter and banana or pb & jelly sandwich to school every day in my lunchbox. I still love them and have one a couple times a month for lunch.

We sent our daughters to school in the 90's with pb sandwiches too.

Remember the fluffernutter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluffernutter)? I loved those when I was a kid. They are too sweet for me now.

aceplace57
06-14-2014, 05:28 PM
I didn't want to confuse the poll with the two varieties of peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

1 Slice the banana into rings and place on top of the peanut butter.
2 Use a fork to mash the banana and peanut butter in a bowl and spread on the bread.

I like mine mashed up. Its juicier and less sticky in my mouth.

Bananas that are a few days old and brown spotted make the best tasting sandwiches. A great way to use them up before they go bad.

Cunctator
06-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Peanut butter and honey.

aceplace57
06-14-2014, 05:35 PM
I forgot about Peanut butter and honey. That should have been in the poll too. :smack: Its too late now.

I usually mix Peanut butter and honey and spread on graham crackers. But I bet it makes a good sandwich too.

aceplace57
06-14-2014, 05:42 PM
My wife did insist on using the Jif low salt, no added sugar peanut butter for the kids sandwiches.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-I43uV1x7YVw/UH4Yr4TJcOI/AAAAAAAAHmQ/lD1GTb0PJa0/s400/DSC_1320.JPG

It tastes just as good and is healthier. I prefer it now. Regular pb seems too salty.

aceplace57
06-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Its reassuring our childhood diets were actually beneficial. A daily pb sandwich is a bit extreme, but a couple times a week seems fine.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Heart_Letter/2009/July/Ask-the-doctor-Why-is-peanut-butter-healthy-if-it-has-saturated-fat
Over the years, numerous studies have shown that people who regularly include nuts or peanut butter in their diets are less likely to develop heart disease or type 2 diabetes than those who rarely eat nuts. Although it is possible that nut eaters are somehow different from, and healthier than, non-nutters, it is more likely that nuts themselves have a lot to do with these benefits.

Saturated fat isn't the deadly toxin it is sometimes made out to be. The body's response to saturated fat in food is to increase the amounts of both harmful LDL and protective HDL in circulation. In moderation, some saturated fat is okay. Eating a lot of it, though, promotes artery-clogging atherosclerosis, the process that underlies most cardiovascular disease. In contrast, unsaturated fats, which make up the majority of the fat content in peanut butter, help reduce LDL cholesterol and lower the risk of heart disease.

I try to eat as healthful a diet as I can. It includes all kinds of nuts, as well as peanut and other nut butters.

— Walter C. Willett, M.D.
Professor of Nutrition
Harvard School of Public Health

JKellyMap
06-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Our almost-four-year-old's favorite lunch...and he's had deep exposure to many world cuisines (Malaysia, Mexico...).

gwendee
06-14-2014, 06:31 PM
I have made my son fluffernutters, but infrequently enough that selecting it the poll felt incorrect.

He'd eat peanut butter and bacon ever day if I'd let him.

He'll eat PB & grape jelly, but some years ago developed a preference for apple jelly. I only had it in the house initially because it's used as a glaze in a dessert recipe I make once in a while. No berry varieties, please.

There was a time when he was not permitted to take peanut butter in his school lunch due to other students' allergies.

aceplace57
06-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Your son has discerning taste. :D I've always preferred PB & apple jelly sandwiches. I'll eat one with grape or even strawberry. We try to keep a jar of cheap store brand apple jelly for our sandwiches.

DMC
06-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Peanut butter and honey.No kids, so didn't vote, but this is the only peanut butter sandwich that tastes better on toasted white bread.

Rhiannon8404
06-15-2014, 12:33 AM
He doesn't like peanut butter sandwiches any more, but it used to be just peanut butter on bread.

We only have the old fashioned kind of peanut butter (peanuts, salt) and I think my husband is the only one who make sandwiches. I just eat it out of the jar with a spoon or sometimes dip apple slices in it.

Girl From Mars
06-15-2014, 07:00 AM
At home they get peanut butter or almond butter (or mean-Mummy peanut and cocoa spread which looks like Nutella but is nothing like as good); at kinder they can't bring food with nuts so 4 yr old gets pepita spread (pumpkin seed spread).

GoodOmens
06-15-2014, 08:10 AM
I'd happily eat PB&J every day, and my little dude likes them too. Banana is definitely a worthy substitution. Neither of us likes honey on peanut butter, and I refuse to have marshmallow fluff in the house so no fluffernutters.

bufftabby
06-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Peanut butter and molasses on toast.

Ferret Herder
06-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Don't have kids, but PB with thin-sliced apple is a decent alternative option.

RealityChuck
06-15-2014, 10:20 AM
My kid just didn't like peanut butter, so I never made sandwiches for her.

notfrommensa
06-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Jelly? Blech

Only I do jams and preserves.

Amateur Barbarian
06-15-2014, 10:38 AM
No kids, so didn't vote, but this is the only peanut butter sandwich that tastes better on toasted white bread.
Disagree. If it's not a PBJ (with boysenberry jam), I toast the bread. Don't care for plain PB sandwiches, but the added flavor and texture of toasting makes them yummy.

prettydorky
06-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Another one for peanut butter and honey- often with raisins added. And peanut butter with marmalade. Now, he won't touch a peanut butter sandwich, but my husband and I love it.

Qadgop the Mercotan
06-15-2014, 12:03 PM
peanut butter and butter sandwiches on toast are also popular.

Miss Mapp
06-15-2014, 12:38 PM
I don't have kids, but every once in awhile I get a craving for a PB & grape jelly sandwich to go with minestrone soup.

RandMcnally
06-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Never even heard of the honey option.

RachelChristine
06-15-2014, 12:48 PM
I voted other. My daughter, age 8, loves Peanut Butter with brown sugar!

Qadgop the Mercotan
06-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Never even heard of the honey option.
That was always reserved for special rewards in our household.

Or when I wanted a late-night snack.

Barking Dog
06-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Always liked em with molasses. Only a sometimes treat, of course.

Mona Lott
06-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Peanut butter and sharp cheddar cheese.

Qadgop the Mercotan
06-15-2014, 02:21 PM
Peanut butter and sharp cheddar cheese.
I enjoy peanut butter, and am a true lover of sharp cheddar, the sharper the better.

Yet I've never combined these two. Never even thought of it.

I have no real urge to, either. Even after hearing of it.

But now I guess I'll have to...

Any tips on ratios, types of bread to use, other ingredients?

ENugent
06-15-2014, 03:18 PM
I'm "other," because my kids think peanut butter tastes nasty. I wish they liked it, but they eat turkey sandwiches several times a week instead.

My nephew is partial to peanut butter and mustard sandwiches.

Tom Tildrum
06-15-2014, 03:56 PM
My son's allergic to peanuts. He's only a toddler, so it hasn't been much of an issue, but I feel bad that he is going to miss out on peanut butter.

I recently picked up a jar of Marmite, to try to get him started with an alternative sandwich spread, but having tried it, I'm now dreading a little bit the possibility that he might like it. I find it really unpalatable, and it very much seems like something one has to have developed a taste for as a child. I've heard that about peanut butter as well, though.

aceplace57
06-15-2014, 05:53 PM
I see the Fluffernutter isn't very popular anymore. At least not in this poll sample. I'm not surprised. Thats a lot of sticky sugar to put on a sandwich.

I'm a little surprised plain peanut butter sandwiches got so many votes. I only like them plain when they are made with fresh hot toast. The hot toast warms the oil and softens the peanut butter. It has to be eaten quickly before it cools very much.

TimeWinder
06-15-2014, 06:05 PM
I see the Fluffernutter isn't very popular anymore. At least not in this poll sample.

I used to work with one of the family that owns the Marshmallow Fluff company (and no doubt an heir to the vast Fluff fortune!). He said that for most of it's life, Marshmallow Fluff (and hence the associated Fluffernutter ads) was limited to a small section of the Eastern US, and that many Midwest/west coast folks had never heard of it. That was years ago, and it's more broadly available now, but aside from a mention on the tub, I've never seen a Fluffernutter ad in the wild.

Wednesday Evening
06-15-2014, 07:18 PM
I see the Fluffernutter isn't very popular anymore. At least not in this poll sample. I'm not surprised. Thats a lot of sticky sugar to put on a sandwich.

I just voted for the fluffernutter, so that will bump it up a bit. I lived in the Boston area for about 7 years, and picked up on it there. My kids were born (and we still live) in California, but fortunately Cost Plus World Market stocks Fluff at a reasonable price. The kids have the choice of PBJ or fluffernutter, and usually choose the fluffernutter. And of course it has to be real Fluff, not that Kraft crap. Making a fluffernutter with the Kraft crap would be heresy.

I've compared the sugar content of Fluff with conventional jelly, and it actually has about the same or less sugar than jelly per sandwich, even accounting for the fact that you use more Fluff. Fluff only has 6g of sugar per 1/8 cup.

aceplace57
06-15-2014, 07:29 PM
I lived on Cape Cod (Falmouth Mass) until I was 9. We ate a lot of fluffernutters. We moved here and I had to explain what they are to my Ark relatives.

I agree. Real Marshmallow Fluff is the best.

Cunctator
06-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Never even heard of the honey option.Food of the gods.

the keek
06-15-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm "other," because my kids think peanut butter tastes nasty. I wish they liked it, but they eat turkey sandwiches several times a week instead.

My nephew is partial to peanut butter and mustard sandwiches.

I hated peanut butter sandwiches as a child until I was 12 or so. We went on a day trip somewhere and my sister and I were in charge of making the sandwiches for the picnic lunch. Sis did the ham with butter and mustard, I made the PBJ's, somehow in our rush toward the finish we messed up the last 2 sandwiches, so at lunch my sis had to eat ham with jelly and I got the peanut butter/mustard. Surprisingly, not bad. I still have a hard time with peanut butter and jelly though.

Rushgeekgirl
06-16-2014, 01:47 AM
My daughter loves her peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches with three miniature marshmallows in the middle. She came up with this recipe herself, just so ya know. Banana on the side to dip in her yogurt. She could eat this every day and never get tired of it.

Sterling Archer
06-16-2014, 09:03 AM
My son's favorite is PB, honey, and bologna. Eeeeuurgh.

gwendee
06-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Has anyone mentioned peanut butter and pickles yet? (Sweet or bread & butter pickles)

Peanut Butter and raisins is something we worked out for camping. Easier to pack.

I've also had, though not frequently, peanut butter and tomato. The tomato has to be a real, red, flavorful garden or farm stand tomato. Since that on white bread with mayonnaise is the definition of summer deliciousness to me I'm rarely inclined to use up tomato on a peanut butter sandwich, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

bump
06-17-2014, 04:23 PM
My almost 3-year old son totally loves Ritz cracker/peanut butter sandwiches.

Drunky Smurf
06-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Peanut butter, honey and bacon.

RivkahChaya
06-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Peanut butter and honey.
This is what my son likes.

Chicken Fingers
06-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Yep, natural peanut butter and honey. But it is forbidden at the schools.

Shagnasty
06-17-2014, 08:05 PM
I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and will happily make them for my kids when they will eat them but they have very selective and ever-changing food preferences so I usually don't bother. They have (individually) switched back and forth between phases of crunchy peanut butter being divine/nasty, smooth peanut butter being the same, to only agreeing to eat a specific kind of jelly and never the same one at the same time (I have two girls 4 years apart - what can I say?). I can starve them out and make them eat PB&J any time I want but they aren't especially great nutritiously so I usually just wait for the rare times when one of them asks for one.

gwendee
06-18-2014, 09:35 AM
My almost 3-year old son totally loves Ritz cracker/peanut butter sandwiches.

This reminded me that during my PB&J every single day phase my mom would change it up once in a while and fix it on saltines. Now it's kind of a comfort food for me. Those have to be grape jelly.

bump
06-18-2014, 02:37 PM
This reminded me that during my PB&J every single day phase my mom would change it up once in a while and fix it on saltines. Now it's kind of a comfort food for me. Those have to be grape jelly.

The weird part is that while he likes the jelly part of a PB&J, he'll separate the crackers and lick the jelly off, then eat the peanut-buttered crackers separately.

Avarie537
06-18-2014, 03:44 PM
PBJ for the middle child. Eldest likes PB and Nutella. Before the discovery of Nutella, he would eat just PB sandwiches.

StarvingButStrong
06-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Has anyone mentioned peanut butter and pickles yet? (Sweet or bread & butter pickles).

Oh, yeah, my favorite: sliced gherkins, slices tiled in as solid as I can manage. YUM!

When the craving hits, and no pickles to be found, I have stooped to green pickle relish. Tip: do your best to drain the juice from the relish if you don't want it dripping down on your chest.

kaylasdad99
06-20-2014, 04:59 AM
When I saw the thread title, I thought to myself: "What a strange question. Peanut butter on the inside, bread on the outside. Of course." After a few moments' reflection, I noticed that it was a poll, and thought that perhaps we were being asked what kind of peanut butter (brand, creamy or chunky, homogenized or stir-yourself). So I opened the thread and read the poll. Of course I HAD to pick "plain"; even though I also make sandwiches with various types of jams, jellies, and preserves, but only a peanut butter and nothing else sandwich gets called a peanut butter sandwich. It's not like the grape jelly or strawberry jam is a condiment, such as the mayonnaise that you'd find on a bologna sandwich; it's a crucial ingredient, so the sandwich gets called a peanut butter and jelly (or jam) sandwich.

swampspruce
06-24-2014, 12:27 PM
I just tried this after I saw it on TV a while ago and although it should not work at all, it does so in an epic fashion!

Ready?
Peanut butter and sriracha on one side, Golden Shred marmalade and yellow or red curry paste on the other. Join. Grill like a grilled cheese.

Wrong, wrong, wrong and utterly addictive! If the hot is too much, temper it with a bit of honey...

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.