PDA

View Full Version : Where should I stop reading A Song of Ice and Fire?

Jman
06-20-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but searching the spoiler threads is dangerous, and I couldn't find another topic similarly.

With season 4 of Game of Thrones finished, I've decided I'd like to start reading the books. However, I think I'd like to keep the TV series spoiler free (for the most part), and read further books when that stuff has been finished in the series. From what I understand, Season 4 ends roughly in line with the end of book 3 (with a few things from books 4 and 5, but not much). Would I be safe reading the first three books and stopping if I don't want major spoilers for the future TV seasons?

If not, where should I stop?

AK84
06-20-2014, 12:45 PM
Before the present season they had stayed more or less true to the chronology. This season, they have delved into 4 and 5 along with the second half of ASOS. I would stick with the first three books.

Snarky_Kong
06-20-2014, 01:32 PM
There are two events at the end of ASOS that would be spoiled in you read all the way through.

A podcast I listen to is doing what you're doing, reading the book after the season. One of the fans gave them this list (http://ecthelion.tumblr.com/image/89058885332) of what they can read before season 5 of the show. I haven't confirmed it, but it looks right.

The link shows the titles of a couple chapters from books 4 and 5. I don't think they're spoilers, but if you're a super super stickler about when people are POV characters, then I guess that's a spoiler.

Sterling Archer
06-20-2014, 01:33 PM
If you are serious about not wanting anything spoiled, read books 1-3 except the epilogue in book 3. You would also need to avoid any chapters on the Night's Watch after Stannis attacks the wildlings. (there is at least one Jon chapter and maybe a Samwell) There are a few more chapters in book 3 covering that storyline that we haven't seen in the show yet.

Sterling Archer
06-20-2014, 01:38 PM
One thing to keep in mind, though, the story was originally told in book form so you really aren't "spoiling" anything no matter how far you read. But I can understand if you are enjoying the HBO show as an "unsullied" and want to keep that experience going. The show changes a lot of stuff too, so you can never be sure if it will carry over.

Johnny L.A.
06-20-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm almost halfway through the 5th book. I've noticed things in the TV show that I've only just read. I've also seen things that I don't remember reading, but they didn't seem spoiler-y. And of course, there are changes. Bran's reaching the tree with the guy in it, for example. The troupe were accompanied on their journey to the tree by another character in the book, who didn't appear in the TV show. And the Arya/The Hound scene at the end of the TV series is different from what's in book 4.

TruCelt
06-20-2014, 01:43 PM
The jist of it is, there are things in the show that are spoilers for the next book, and things from three books ago we haven't seen yet. And some things are just plain different.

Sterling Archer
06-20-2014, 01:47 PM
A podcast I listen to is doing what you're doing, reading the book after the season. One of the fans gave them this list (http://ecthelion.tumblr.com/image/89058885332) of what they can read before season 5 of the show. I haven't confirmed it, but it looks right.

Checked the link, I am not sure what is supposed to be spoiled in the Jaime chapter, I just glanced through it and didn't see anything. It covers the Oathkeeper thing with Brienne, which is definitely part of season 4.

I wouldn't bother with reading a few select chapters from books 4 & 5 that have already been covered by the show. But this is going to get a lot trickier after next season. You'll probably have to wait until HBO airs s5 and s6 before reading book 4.

AK84
06-20-2014, 02:01 PM
The jist of it is, there are things in the show that are spoilers for the next book, and things from three books ago we haven't seen yet. And some things are just plain different.

Errr, what? Outside of people being written out the only really spoilery thing in ASOS and earlier are

Lady Stoneheart aka undead Catleyn Stark

Snarky_Kong
06-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Checked the link, I am not sure what is supposed to be spoiled in the Jaime chapter, I just glanced through it and didn't see anything. It covers the Oathkeeper thing with Brienne, which is definitely part of season 4.

I wouldn't bother with reading a few select chapters from books 4 & 5 that have already been covered by the show. But this is going to get a lot trickier after next season. You'll probably have to wait until HBO airs s5 and s6 before reading book 4.

The reveal of fake Arya

AK84,
Jon gets elected as lord commander

chinchalinchin
06-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Errr, what? Outside of people being written out the only really spoilery thing in ASOS and earlier are

Lady Stoneheart aka undead Catleyn Stark

Not true.

Jon getting made Lord Commander and turning down Stannis' offer to make him a Stark

Balon Greyjoy dying

Someone already mentioned the first one, but as far as I know no one has mentioned the second one as being something that hasn't been revealed in the show yet.

Jman
06-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, and the list is cool too. I'll have to see how into the books I am before I finish the third book. I don't think I'd have a problem with spoiling a few plot points here and there, but it wouldn't want to read about Dany being eaten by one of her dragons or Sansa marrying Tommen before killing him with a knife she carved from her own leg bone.

I started A Game of Thrones last night, and it's odd to have so many dead people be alive. :)

Sterling Archer
06-22-2014, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=Snarky_Kong;17479803] The reveal of fake Arya

Ah, ok. That is a very minor plot point IMO and certainly not worth skipping a very important chapter in Jaime's character development. There are TONS of details like this within many chapters that could end up being "spoilers" if they are mentioned later in the series, it's impossible to avoid everything that hasn't been on-screen because the books are sooooo much denser and filled with more characters and plot points. We have no way of knowing what may or may not be included in future episodes.

Captain Amazing
06-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Here:

http://i.imgur.com/lceExOP.jpg

This is every episode of the show mapped out in chapters of the books. So, if you want to make sure you're not spoiled, only read the chapters that are blackened.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.