PDA

View Full Version : Macho Actors of the Male Persuasion

Zeldar
07-06-2014, 06:08 PM
On the general topic, no holds barred. A few starter ideas:

1) Has the macho factor changed over time? If so, in what direction?

2) Who is/was the epitome of macho?

3) Who is the most macho actor working today?

4) Which movie had (or has) the most macho cast?

5) Which TV series had (or has) the most macho cast?

===============================

Add more questions and/or subtopics as you see fit.

Penfeather
07-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Most of the macho actors in Hollywood these days seem to be British or Australian; no more all-American two-fisted fightin' he-men.

Sattua
07-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Most of the macho actors in Hollywood these days seem to be British or Australian; no more all-American two-fisted fightin' he-men.

As a wimpy white chic, my instinct is to counter with "Vin Diesel" and "The Rock". They're both American, aren't they?

Southern Yankee
07-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Danny Trejo is the most macho actor today. Him and Charles Bronson in an arm wrestling match for the title.

Loach
07-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Sam Elliot.

Sage Rat
07-06-2014, 07:03 PM
John Wayne?

tellyworth
07-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Brian Blessed.

Zeldar
07-06-2014, 07:06 PM
John Wayne?

Hard to make a solid argument against The Duke, but I offer Robert Mitchum and Burt Lancaster as possibilities. And then there's Steve McQueen in the next generation.

Sage Rat
07-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Brian Blessed.

He's not macho, he's a wild yeti (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa5L8YjsiSk).

(He's also a vegetarian, which I think disqualifies him, despite all his other feats of manliness.)

tellyworth
07-06-2014, 07:26 PM
(He's also a vegetarian, which I think disqualifies him, despite all his other feats of manliness.)

He's punched the Dalai Lama and a polar bear in the fucking face. I think we can forgive him one flaw.

Penfeather
07-06-2014, 08:15 PM
He's punched the Dalai Lama and a polar bear in the fucking face. I think we can forgive him one flaw.

Today, prudence shall be our watchword; TOMORROW I SHALL SOAK THE LAND IN BLOOD! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1k-pvCZ2Kw)

thelurkinghorror
07-06-2014, 11:06 PM
"Vin Diesel"
Macho in as much as a guy who can answer the question "is someone with 18 strength and 1d10 hit points per level a macho or a weak person?" truthfully and without hesitating. But that's cooler now than it was 20 years ago.

The factual answer to #4 is the Expendables series. I mean that's kind of the point of it!

Tom Tildrum
07-06-2014, 11:07 PM
I think the phrase the OP is looking for is "¿Quien es mas macho? (http://norewardisworththis.tumblr.com/post/64845798933/snl-quien-es-mas-macho-sketch-from-2-17-19)" (video)

Alessan
07-06-2014, 11:08 PM
The factual answer to #4 is the Expendables series. I mean that's kind of the point of it!

Have you looked at Stallone's eyebrows lately? Man looks like an 80 year old drag queen.

The Other Waldo Pepper
07-08-2014, 06:16 AM

Mark Wahlberg, who has so much swagger he played a guy named "Swagger," recently took a break from playing soldiers and cops to shirtlessly uppercut folks as The Fighter, after which he took roles from 'Navy SEAL' to 'private eye of the fistfight-and-car-chase type' to 'steroid-fueled bodybuilder who turns to a life of crime'.

Oh, and he's apparently the go-to guy for a Six Million Dollar Man movie.

OneCentStamp
07-08-2014, 06:26 AM
As a wimpy white chic, my instinct is to counter with "Vin Diesel" and "The Rock". They're both American, aren't they?

They both are, and they're both good examples of the evolution of the movie "tough guy." Both tend to come across, both on and to a lesser extent off screen, as smarter and more nuanced than 80s-style action heroes. Arnold and Sly are both demonstrably smart dudes in real life, but their film roles tended to be pretty consistently meathead. And guys like Van Damme and Seagal seem positively cartoonish in hindsight.

BrotherCadfael
07-08-2014, 06:45 AM
Anthony Quinn.

This thread is now done.

MrDibble
07-08-2014, 07:20 AM
I see a whole lot of Anglos listed - surely the answer of "Most macho" would be more along the lines of Antonio Banderas or Danny Trejo ;)

Hence Spy Kids is the most macho movie :)

(OK, Desperado, then)

ETA: Quinn gets a pass. Points off for the namechange.

Danny Trejo gets my vote for "most macho", regardless, BTW.

Nava
07-08-2014, 08:22 AM
Nah, Banderas is actually quite the puss... add my vote to Trejo.

DCnDC
07-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Hard to make a solid argument against The Duke, but I offer Robert Mitchum and Burt Lancaster as possibilities. And then there's Steve McQueen in the next generation.

Lee Marvin's gotta make the list somewhere.

Zeldar
07-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Lee Marvin's gotta make the list somewhere.

Yes. Others worth consideration:

Woody Strode
William Smith (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0810342/?ref_=nv_sr_1)
Tom Selleck
Sean Connery
Clint Eastwood
Michael Madsen
Tommy Lee Jones

And among the younger crowd I'd submit:

Timothy Olyphant
Ian McShane
Jason Statham

The Other Waldo Pepper
07-08-2014, 11:33 AM
I see a whole lot of Anglos listed - surely the answer of "Most macho" would be more along the lines of Antonio Banderas or Danny Trejo ;)

Hence Spy Kids is the most macho movie :)

Spy Kids 3D adds Banderas and Trejo to RICARDO MONTALBAN, plus Stallone. ;)

That said, Pulp Fiction gives us the calm fury of Samuel L. Jackson, plus Bruce Willis killing a boxer in the ring before plainspokenly samurai-swording to save his enemy, at which point Ving Rhames commandingly projects macho upon getting ass-raped, which shouldn't be possible but damned if he doesn't sell it.

Zeldar
07-08-2014, 11:39 AM
While we're on the topic of non-Anglos, let me mention Toshirô Mifune (1920–1997) (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001536/?ref_=nv_sr_1) AKA Badass-San.

And a big "Hell, yes!" on Sam Jackson.

Sage Rat
07-08-2014, 12:16 PM
There's rumors that Banderas spent some time working as a male prostitute, early in his career.

I'd add Mr.T and Chow Yun Fat, to continue pushing out the diversity angle. I don't know anything about Fat, so I couldn't say whether he's equally macho off-screen as on.

Evil Captor
07-08-2014, 01:07 PM
I'd say Mickey Roarke on the strength of Marv in "Sin City" alone, though he's done a few other very macho roles.

Zeldar
07-08-2014, 01:19 PM
I want to offer for consideration Mandy Patinkin (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001597/?ref_=nv_sr_2) who, in spite of having a voice like this, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OZfoFAs2u4) has kicked some major ass in various roles.

Cubsfan
07-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Get to tha choppah!

Zeldar
07-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Get to tha choppah!

Whether you meant to or not, you reminded me of Sonny Landham (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0484739/?ref_=tt_cl_t6) from Predator whose picture (https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVzasXLxTVkIA04FXNyoA?p=Sonny+Landham+&fr=yfp-t-644&fr2=piv-web) ought to be next to macho in the dictionary.

Isamu
07-10-2014, 08:19 AM

I think it has changed. I think around the 80s was the turning point where macho started to mean strictly muscles rather than plain old machismo. The Village People singling macho man, was all about the muscles. But in the 70s, Clint could be macho without the muscles.

Mutherfucking Charlie Bronson.

Zeldar
07-10-2014, 08:29 AM

I think it has changed. I think around the 80s was the turning point where macho started to mean strictly muscles rather than plain old machismo. The Village People singling macho man, was all about the muscles. But in the 70s, Clint could be macho without the muscles.

Right on with both observations. Is there a legitimate successor to Clint?

I must admit my partiality toward Tommy Lee Jones and Sam Elliott, and I tend to downplay the Martial Arts (and variants) proponents as not so much macho as good choreography (with a few notable exceptions like Bruce Lee and Jason Statham.)

Sage Rat
07-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Right on with both observations. Is there a legitimate successor to Clint?

Hugh Jackman, playing his Wolverine persona, could be plonked down in any of Clint Eastwood's films from his young days and you'd probably barely notice the difference.

I think the difference is that Clint liked those roles. From what I've read, Jackman prefers light and friendly, song and dance roles.

Gatopescado
07-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Steve McQueen, Steve McQueen
The coolest goddamn mothefucker on the silver screen

They took my drivers license when I was just sixteen
The year Mesothelioma killed Steve McQueen

Read more: Drive By Truckers - Steve McQueen Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Simplicio
07-11-2014, 05:53 PM

There was a Slate article a few weeks ago on how the male standard for being an action star has become a lot more demanding, with audiences expect their leading men to be a lot more cut, very muscular with low-body fat, and the industry that's grown up around helping actors achieve said body-type.

It kinda made me feel sorry for the modern action hero, to the extent that I can feel sorrow for someone thats getting ten million a pop to look good with their shirt off.

iiandyiiii
07-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Quien es mas macho? Ricardo Montalban es mas macho.

Ellis Dee
07-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Get to tha choppah!Definitely. That was my immediate thought when reading "most macho cast" in the OP. Possibly most political as well, starring two future governors.

It's pretty sad that the modern day entry into the Predator saga has Topher Grace and Adrien Brody.

There was a Slate article a few weeks ago on how the male standard for being an action star has become a lot more demanding, with audiences expect their leading men to be a lot more cut, very muscular with low-body fat, and the industry that's grown up around helping actors achieve said body-type.I disagree largely because of Jason Statham, who is a solid nominee for the thread and is no bodybuilder. (EDIT: At very least, it's pretty rare to see him with his shirt off in his action movies.)

Wolf333
07-11-2014, 07:19 PM
There's rumors that Banderas spent some time working as a male prostitute, early in his career.

I'd add Mr.T and Chow Yun Fat, to continue pushing out the diversity angle. I don't know anything about Fat, so I couldn't say whether he's equally macho off-screen as on.

Chow Yun Fat, guns akimbo while sliding down a hand rail, with a toothpick in his mouth (http://www.belbios.nl/media/posters/hard-boiled_org.jpg). I'd say that counts.

"... Mr. Majestyk". He is one tough melon farmer.

The Other Waldo Pepper
07-11-2014, 07:21 PM
I disagree largely because of Jason Statham, who is a solid nominee for the thread and is no bodybuilder. (EDIT: At very least, it's pretty rare to see him with his shirt off in his action movies.)

Jeremy Renner gets work as a cold-eyed action hero without seeming especially cut.

Simplicio
07-11-2014, 07:30 PM
I disagree largely because of Jason Statham, who is a solid nominee for the thread and is no bodybuilder. (EDIT: At very least, it's pretty rare to see him with his shirt off in his action movies.)

I've never seen any of his action movies. But googling, he seems to be a good example actually. In the pictures of him from films, he's extremely toned, has a full six pack, and, while he isn't a bodybuilder, he has very defined muscles.

The same search shows a bunch of pictures of him at the beach, presumably between movies, and he's much less toned and has some bodyfat. Its pretty clear he puts a lot of effort into his physique while he's filming.

Here's the article (http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/building-a-bigger-action-hero-20140418).

Now I'm off to clear my browser history so my gf doesn't find a bunch of search terms for "Jason Statham shirtless".

Ellis Dee
07-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Hmmm, who is more macho, do you think?

Danny Trejo
R Lee Ermy

Hardened criminal vs squared away drill instructor. Tough choice.

Zeldar
07-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Hmmm, who is more macho, do you think?

Danny Trejo
R Lee Ermy

Hardened criminal vs squared away drill instructor. Tough choice.

Do a POLL on this. I just put one up for Loni Anderson vs. Dolly Parton. :D (not so much for macho, though)

thelurkinghorror
07-12-2014, 12:12 AM
It's pretty sad that the modern day entry into the Predator saga has Topher Grace and Adrien Brody.
Wasn't that the entire point of Grace's character? That he looks as tough as Eric Forman? I don't remember that movie much.

dasmoocher
07-12-2014, 02:05 AM
Hugh Jackman, playing his Wolverine persona, could be plonked down in any of Clint Eastwood's films from his young days and you'd probably barely notice the difference.

Yeah, I can see Jackman with a scruffy beard, cigar clenched in his teeth, and serape being the Man with No Name:

Tuco: [trying to read a note] "See you soon, id... " "id... " "ids... "

Blondie: [taking the note] "Idiots". It's for you.

stanger
07-12-2014, 11:37 AM
I think the concept of macho has changed quite a bit, at least in the sixty or so years I have been on this earth.

Today, macho seems to be heavily biased toward having a lot of "attitude", dressing rough and scraggly, lots of tattoos, and acting like a dick whether the situation calls for it or not.
That is cosmetic macho, or affected macho.

Used to be, macho meant manly. A truly macho guy didn't think about how tough he came across - he just was. He could get along with anybody, he wasn't looking for a fight because of the chip on his shoulder. He was charming and respectful to the ladies, and was best buds with like-minded guys.

He wasn't rough looking, but he was no pretty boy either. He was smart, if not necessarily educated, and had an idea where he fit into the scheme of things.

But, yeah, if you got on his bad side, you were in deep shit. He might give you a break, cut you some slack, but if you had a whuppin' coming, he was willing and able to oblige. He could take it, and he could dish it out. If you made a mistake with him, you never made it twice.

But you tell all this just by the way he looked, the way he talked, the way he handled himself. In normal times and everyday circumstances, he didn't initially appear to be any threat at all. But if you observed him a bit, you realized he was a tough SOB that you didn't want to be on the bad side of.

For these reasons, I have to agree with earlier posters that Robert Mitchum played a lot of truly macho characters. He is what comes to my mind when I think of a macho guy - a manly guy - not so much many of the current crop.

E-DUB
07-12-2014, 08:06 PM
You have just described Humphrey Bogart.

Mosier
07-12-2014, 08:47 PM
I think the concept of macho has changed quite a bit, at least in the sixty or so years I have been on this earth.

Today, macho seems to be heavily biased toward having a lot of "attitude", dressing rough and scraggly, lots of tattoos, and acting like a dick whether the situation calls for it or not.
That is cosmetic macho, or affected macho.

Used to be, macho meant manly. A truly macho guy didn't think about how tough he came across - he just was. He could get along with anybody, he wasn't looking for a fight because of the chip on his shoulder. He was charming and respectful to the ladies, and was best buds with like-minded guys.

He wasn't rough looking, but he was no pretty boy either. He was smart, if not necessarily educated, and had an idea where he fit into the scheme of things.

But, yeah, if you got on his bad side, you were in deep shit. He might give you a break, cut you some slack, but if you had a whuppin' coming, he was willing and able to oblige. He could take it, and he could dish it out. If you made a mistake with him, you never made it twice.

But you tell all this just by the way he looked, the way he talked, the way he handled himself. In normal times and everyday circumstances, he didn't initially appear to be any threat at all. But if you observed him a bit, you realized he was a tough SOB that you didn't want to be on the bad side of.

For these reasons, I have to agree with earlier posters that Robert Mitchum played a lot of truly macho characters. He is what comes to my mind when I think of a macho guy - a manly guy - not so much many of the current crop.

So Andy Griffith?

johnpost
07-12-2014, 09:10 PM

i all depends when and what.

in the '30s, '40s and '50s most all cops and private eyes in books, movies, radio and tv (when it existed) were all attitude towards everyone.

johnpost
07-12-2014, 09:16 PM
While we're on the topic of non-Anglos, let me mention Toshirô Mifune (1920–1997) AKA Badass-San.

that little twerp.

he was always great.

The Other Waldo Pepper
07-13-2014, 07:49 AM
You have just described Humphrey Bogart.

Not to mention Don Cheadle.

OneCentStamp
07-13-2014, 07:59 AM
I think my notion of "macho actor" contains a bit more intimidating physical robustness than that of many here. I love Don Cheadle, but I could punt him.

The Other Waldo Pepper
07-13-2014, 08:10 AM
I think my notion of "macho actor" contains a bit more intimidating physical robustness than that of many here. I love Don Cheadle, but I could punt him.

Same height as Bogie.

Zeldar
07-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Same height as Bogie.

For my money Bogie was more tough than macho and for me there's a distinct difference.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.