PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify this random line from a TV show or movie

Sir T-Cups
07-11-2014, 07:46 AM
So I distinctly remember watching TV (or a movie, but I'm about 90% sure it's TV) and the main character (pretty sure it's a guy) was bitching about how he isn't rich because Jimmy Buffet stole his song "Wasting away again in PinaColadaBurg"

Literally that's all I got. Does anyone else remember this?

GuanoLad
07-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Club Dread (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYr3j5qiPr8).

Sir T-Cups
07-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Oh man really?

This floors me because If you would have asked me I would have sworn up and down I've never seen that movie in my life.

Thanks though!

DCnDC
07-11-2014, 08:36 AM
This floors me because If you would have asked me I would have sworn up and down I've never seen that movie in my life.

I'm guessing you watched a minute or two while channel surfing and never bothered to note what it was, so it never registered on your mental "I've seen it" list.

Zeldar
07-11-2014, 09:19 AM
And then again, if you're like me anyway, somebody else quoted the line without proper credit and you just imagined seeing the movie/TV part of it.

There has to a clinical term for that sort of "passed on memory" phenomenon or else somebody would have remembered that "it doesn't do anything; that's the beautiful part" (or whatever it is) thing we all know we have all heard or seen before.

I mean if "meme" has a meaning we all can quote, and it's common knowledge, why is it we can't name those other things that get called "memes"? (There's a thread in progress that demonstrates this very issue.)

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.