PDA

View Full Version : French pronunciation question

Johnny L.A.
11-24-2014, 10:50 AM
I don't speak French, but many years ago I came across this saying:

Ce ne est que le premier pas qui coûte.
(It is only the first step that costs.)

ISTR that it's pronounced something like 'snek le prim-YAY pah kee coot'. Is that correct? If not, how is it properly pronounced?

jtur88
11-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Try entering it in translate.google.com and click the Listen icon.

RealityChuck
11-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Suh-ney-kih-leh-prem-yay-pa-key-coot

Vashbul
11-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Using your made-up phonetic system, I'd say closer to "snay kuh luh prem-YAY pah kee coot".

Northern Piper
11-24-2014, 12:23 PM
I'd say close enough.

St Denis et Montmartre, eh?

Leaffan
11-24-2014, 12:27 PM

Say nes kuh luh premeeaire pah key koot. (Premier has three syllables , but just barely: prem-ee-aire. And both Rs are pronounced.

Gymnopithys
11-24-2014, 12:33 PM
I don't speak French, but many years ago I came across this saying:

(It is only the first step that costs.)

ISTR that it's pronounced something like 'snek le prim-YAY pah kee coot'. Is that correct? If not, how is it properly pronounced?

Correct, just don't stress the "yay".

Heracles
11-24-2014, 01:19 PM

Say nes kuh luh premeeaire pah key koot. (Premier has three syllables , but just barely: prem-ee-aire. And both Rs are pronounced.

No, it's "prem-yay": only the first R is pronounced. The feminine, première , does have both Rs pronounced.

Leaffan
11-24-2014, 01:22 PM
No, it's "prem-yay": only the first R is pronounced. The feminine, première , does have both Rs pronounced.
I stand corrected.

clairobscur
11-24-2014, 02:44 PM
"Ce ne est" isn't correct. It's "Ce n'est"

But anyway, the saying is :

"Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte" . Googling, I find "ce n'est" for this sentence only in English sources (French-English dictionnaries and articles).

Can't help with the pronounciation, since my english pronounciation is atrocious, I couldn't give an equivalent.

Leaffan
11-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Your written English is wonderful.

jovan
11-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Try entering it in translate.google.com and click the Listen icon.

I just tried this with the correct "Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte" and I think that's the best answer. Google's pronunciation is robotic but correct. The transliterations into pseudo-English can only give you at best a terrible approximation.

https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/Il%20n'y%20a%20que%20le%20premier%20pas%20qui%20co%C3%BBte

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.