PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Farscape (no spoilers though!)

Anaamika
03-17-2015, 02:45 PM
So I started watching Farscape. I'm always really behind the times, but I don't mind that.

I hesitated for a long time in watching it because it is kind of dated (1999-2002) and plus I was afraid it would be some of...."Oh, white guy goes into space and fixes everything and gets the girl to boot".

I have now watched the first four episodes and am pleased to report it hasn't had much of that. The girl doesn't instantly like him and Crichton is very much a fish out of water. But he's also not dumb; his doctorate does serve him in good stead. He's just overwhelmed by all of the alien stuff.

The crew is a little silly, but Episode 4 is what really cemented my desire to watch it. It actually handled some stuff pretty seriously and there was genuine chemistry (I felt) between Crichton and the young blond tech.

So is there anything I need to know about it? I know it got cancelled in fourth season, but I also know there is a 3-hour special that finishes it off. Is it worth it to keep going or will I just be sorely disappointed? Any episodes a must-see or any episodes I should definitely plan to skip?

Thoughts?

pinkfreud
03-17-2015, 02:48 PM
I thought the first season of Farscape was the weakest, so if you're liking it so far, I urge you to continue. It gets better.

Uosdwis R. Dewoh
03-17-2015, 03:15 PM
The show really becomes good at the end of the first season and it gets better from there. The mini-series after the fourth season is a pretty good ending to the show that left me satisfied for the most parts. It does feel like a truncated fifth season though. Lots of cool buildup in previous seasons that were rushed through, or ignored, to some degree. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the show.

Mahaloth
03-17-2015, 03:17 PM
Until you get to the episode "Nerve", you haven't really begun. The series got a lot better as it went and I thought it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Keep with it and you have a lot of fun ahead.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
03-17-2015, 03:24 PM
The crew is a little silly

The silliness persists throughout the series; that's just part of the show's nature. It's almost a comedy. (The pervasive body-function humor does get to be a bit tiresome at times, IMHO.) But it outshines more serious SF shows in a number of ways, such as the many genuinely weird aliens created by the Henson workshop. There's plenty of satisfying character development as the series goes on. I won't say much about the show's main villains for fear of spoilers, but they have great story lines.

Anaamika
03-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Awesome! All good news. Looking forward to it, then!

RealityChuck
03-17-2015, 05:05 PM
I picked it up in the second season, and that was first-class space opera. Rockne O'Bannon is the unsung hero of televised TV(check his filmography) (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0639328/).

The final season, though, suffers from a massive attacks of the stupids. It is really awful; and possibly the biggest drop in quality in one season in the history of TV.

MacTech
03-17-2015, 09:32 PM
'Scape is a Fweakin' great series, stupid sci-fi channel killed it too soon, apparently the moronic CEO Bonnie Hammer (stupid Frelling tralk) thought the show was "too intelligent for our viewers" (IOW, BH thought sci-fi channel viewers were idiots)

There are so many great eps, in all four seasons, and the show swings widely between comedy and drama, but it's overall consistently good

While Season four was a little weak, I love some of their little nods to continuity, like this one from the episode Kansas (http://youtu.be/V3jKOgdUiiY), there's no spoilers, and since it takes place in an "unrealized reality" it's a possible alternate reality...

Another scene (a deleted scene) featuring my favorite female character in the series, Chiana (http://youtu.be/az1prEX7n0c), tell me if you don't get a little chill near the end when Pip (Crichton's nickname for Chiana) whispers "but this place overdoes it..."

Memorable episodes for me;

Season 1
Durka Returns

Season 2
Taking the stone
Crackers don't matter
Won't get fooled again
Out of their minds
The way we weren't

Season 3
Different destinations (not the typical reset-button time travel plot...)
Eat me
Green eyed monster (that's no moon......)
Incubator
Infinite possibilities part 1 and 2
Revenging Angel
The "Lions den" three part arc

Season 4
Unrealized reality
Kansas
Terra firma
A constellation of doubt
Bad Timing

engineer_comp_geek
03-17-2015, 11:14 PM
I really liked the show back in the day. It starts out a little weak, gets a lot better, then goes downhill towards the end (as shows often do), but overall, even though it was going downhill, I was disappointed when it was canceled. I was still enjoying the show.

The special effects are a bit cheesy by modern standards and too many aliens have a "puppet" feel to them. It's not bad for 1999 technology, though.

On the plus side, the chemistry between the crew remains interesting throughout the series. One of the great things about it is that they don't always all get along.

Keep going to the end. You'll see it go downhill, but you'll probably be invested enough in the show by then that you'll want to follow it until the last episode.

grude
03-18-2015, 02:39 AM
The episode in the second season The Way We Weren't is one of my top ten episodes of TV ever.

Grrr!
03-18-2015, 02:56 AM
The strange thing about Farscape is that it made me realize I apparently have a thing for women with blue skin.

grude
03-18-2015, 03:11 AM
One of the things I loved about the show was NO RESETS.

They would take a tired old Star Trek trope like body switching or cloning of characters and play it not only straight, but characters would refer back to it years later!

That is what told me this show is different.

Criticism I have is a few too many plot holes and inexplicable resurrections, how did <blank> recover from being shot and buried in a shallow grave?! We are never told, it could have been something they meant to go back to before the cancellation though.

TCMF-2L
03-18-2015, 04:25 AM
The first season of Farscape is the most uneven. One episode had a pure "wizard" which pushed the Sci-Fi show further into Fantasy than it would normally sit. Although Zhaan (Blue Skinned woman played by an actress previously seen in Mad Max 2) supposedly has a dark past, the episode where she (and others) are particularly mean to Pilot (voiced by the same actor who plays Crais) seems misjudged.

However - and I have mentioned this recently - I would strongly recommend watching every episode since the narrative does get complicated and confusing, often deliberately, and your only way of keeping up is to watch all the episodes.

Otherwise there are good episodes and bad episodes. The writers and producers liked to play "games" with the viewers with fun episodes (the one based around Looney Tunes cartoons) and surreal episodes. Plus plenty of variations on "It was all a dream."

People, generally, either like the show or hate it so if you have found value in a few episodes then settling down to watch the lot (in order) should give increasing returns.

TCMF-2L

Smid
03-18-2015, 04:58 AM
The strange thing about Farscape is that it made me realize I apparently have a thing for women with blue skin.

And she didn't look half as nice when not blue...

TCMF-2L
03-18-2015, 07:05 AM

Is this a whoosh?

"Blue Skinned Woman" or Zhaan was played by Virginia Hey. Hey began her career as a model. She had magazine front covers.

OK she's over 60 now and there's society's usual "old women look nasty" but in her prime...

TCMF-2L

grude
03-18-2015, 07:20 AM
Is this a whoosh?

"Blue Skinned Woman" or Zhaan was played by Virginia Hey. Hey began her career as a model. She had magazine front covers.

OK she's over 60 now and there's society's usual "old women look nasty" but in her prime...

TCMF-2L

Thought it was a reference to the one episode were she appeared as a human in a hallucination.:)

engineer_comp_geek
03-18-2015, 07:23 AM
Speaking of Virginia Hey...

That blue makeup that everyone loved is actually the main reason that Virginia Hey left the show. The makeup irritated her skin and made her ill. She said in an interview after she left that ironically as her character got more and more popular, she was getting weaker and sicker underneath the makeup, until finally she was so miserable that she couldn't take it any more.

MacTech
03-18-2015, 07:39 AM

<Zhaan> Do you have a problem with people of color?
;)

Smid
03-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Is this a whoosh?

TCMF-2L

There was more than one blue skinned woman on the show... Though to be fair, the skin looked a bit grey other times. I can't recall exactly if it was blue now. Looks like it here:

Chiana in makeup (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=picture+chiana+farscape&biw=1129&bih=771&tbm=isch&imgil=LNEJmMlcDi3jOM%253A%253Bm7lsHst2j3yyrM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.themakeupgallery.info% 25252Ffantasy%25252Falien%25252Ffar%25252Fchiana.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=LNEJmMlcDi3jOM%253A%252Cm7lsHst2j3yyrM%252C_&usg=__3ENHwPbM9Wsi4ykWAieaWuC1dfU%3D&ved=0CDAQyjc&ei=A3wJVY63Edj7asWBgpAE#imgrc=LNEJmMlcDi3jOM%253A%3Bm7lsHst2j3yyrM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.themakeu pgallery.info%252Fimages%252Ffantasy%252Falien%252Ffar%252Fcrew%252Fchiana%252Fchiana7s2.jpg%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fwww.themakeupgallery.info%252Ffantasy%252Falien%252Ffar%252Fchiana.htm%3B375%3B450)

I guess it makes the difference which picture you see her in, I think I remember seeing her in an interview in the extras where this one would be more appropriate...

Gigi Edgley (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=picture+Gigi+Edgley&biw=1129&bih=771&tbm=isch&imgil=RMz4UyXdxaxd7M%253A%253BvEdl7dl_fFB9hM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fheadhuntersholosuite.wikia .com%25252Fwiki%25252FGigi_Edgley&source=iu&pf=m&fir=RMz4UyXdxaxd7M%253A%252CvEdl7dl_fFB9hM%252C_&usg=__OqGWUV0jAtmkIweBMXBil6SoAek%3D&ved=0CDAQyjc&ei=cXwJVYz1B5DvaLXlgFA#imgdii=sQqaSuIN2xQTWM%3A%3BrVBdZj30AYTNRM%3BsQqaSuIN2xQTWM%3A&imgrc=sQqaSuIN2xQTWM%253A%3B8he7Vrwbgnp2IM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%2 52Fcommons%252F3%252F3b%252FGigi_Edgley_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%2 52Fwiki%252FGigi_Edgley%3B2406%3B3168)

To be fair, the voice might have helped too...

(I forgot about the other blue woman. She left halfway through though. I guess Chiani didn't start in the series either...)

Grrr!
03-18-2015, 08:42 AM
Wait. There were two blue women wasn't there? Plant lady and the Cowardly Lion's GF. Jessica or something.

(I don't know, it's been too long.)

ETA: NM, didn't see last post.

billfish678
03-18-2015, 08:53 AM
<Zhaan> Do you have a problem with people of color?
;)

I always thought they should have had one of those "blue bitches" have a child with "yellow baby daddy" resulting in a green "love child".

Love the series!

As the show goes on you''ll get some recurring characters that become quit fun/interesting.

I' think "Harvey" was my favorite.

Would love to say more about the series but don't want to spoil anything.

bump
03-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Is this a whoosh?

TCMF-2L

FWIW, she was the long-haired, attractive blonde warrior woman at the refinery in "The Road Warrior".

As for Farscape... I never could get into it. Considering all the other sci-fi shows on TV at the time, Farscape is one that just didn't do it for me. There was something... goofy about it that I couldn't get around- it seemed that there were a lot of things that were intended to be funny to the audience, but that weren't actually funny in-universe. That, and I just couldn't ever get enough back-story to understand what was going on fully; it seemed kind of convoluted and weird.

For what it's worth, LEXX felt the same way to me; I never could really get into that show either, although it's eye candy was a little sweeter.

Cartoonacy
03-18-2015, 09:25 AM
it seemed that there were a lot of things that were intended to be funny to the audience, but that weren't actually funny in-universe.

I have that problem with modern SF writers in general. Peter David comes to mind as a frequent offender. I like his writing style, but just when I'm really getting absorbed into the story, I'll run headlong into an out-of-universe reference (nudge-nudge, wink-wink, this is funny, right?) and I'll be knocked right out of the zone.

TCMF-2L
03-18-2015, 09:44 AM
That, and I just couldn't ever get enough back-story to understand what was going on fully; it seemed kind of convoluted and weird.

For what it's worth, LEXX felt the same way to me; I never could really get into that show either, although it's eye candy was a little sweeter.

The basic premise of Farscape was simple enough. On Earth, John Crichton tests a space ship and in true Planet of the Apes fashion gets thrown across the universe to a distant galaxy. As he arrives - out of control - at his destination he accidentally causes a small space ship to crash killing the pilot.

Crichton ends up as a "Guest"of some fugitives (from the militaristic ruling force called The Peacekeepers) who have taken control of the sentient prison space ship - Moya. Unfortunately the space ship Crichton caused to crash contained the brother of a senior Peacekeeper - Captain Crais.

Crichton wants to go home to Earth. The prisoners want to go back to their worlds. Crais wants to track them down; recapturing the prisoners but he particularly wants vengeance against Crichton.

As the show continues motivations and loyalties change but the initial set up is easy enough.

As for Lexx? I loved it but that REALLY was a Curate's Egg. The original four TV Movies were two good and two rubbish (in my opinion.) Once the show went to series it slowly drifted downhill but along the way it had highs and lows.

TCMF-2L

Chronos
03-18-2015, 05:14 PM
I agree with RealityChuck that the last season came down with a serious case of The Stupids. When a character gains a significant new capability, that character should use it. It might turn out to not be what he or she actually wanted, but at least show the character trying it and discovering that.

I was also a bit bugged by a trope that they re-used (nonspecific spoiler, but you may want to avoid it anyway):
Using one villain as a setup for another, bigger villain
When they did it the first time, it worked quite well. But that's the sort of thing that just doesn't work if you try to do it twice.

Before that, though, it was good fun.

TBG
03-18-2015, 06:54 PM
I'm partway in Season 2. It's a good show, but not so good that I feel the need to binge watch it. I do find it amusing that the two human (well, I guess one wasn't really human, but some identical cold blooded race, not in alien makeup is really what I meant) leads both wound up as regulars on SG1.

Speaking of cold blooded, did they get that cold blooded thing with the Peacekeepers' race (sorry I can't spell it) wrong? Don't cold blooded creatures LIKE the heat? I've seen enough pet reptiles sitting on a rock under a heat lamp to be all "wha?" when they get all frelled up in the heat on the show

Mr. Miskatonic
03-18-2015, 10:52 PM
There was more than one blue skinned woman on the show... Though to be fair, the skin looked a bit grey other times. I can't recall exactly if it was blue now. Looks like it here:)

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be grey. Several times Chriton describes Chiana to people as 'little grey girl'.

Farscape's major appeal was often that Chriton was one of us. Often making sci-fi and other Earth references that the audience would get but the other crew members wouldn't (Eryn once commented that her translator microbes had to have messed up). Even though as time went on they picked up some of his comments (Chiana outright says 'screw the pooch' in a later season.

Smid
03-19-2015, 03:47 AM
I'm partway in Season 2. It's a good show, but not so good that I feel the need to binge watch it. I do find it amusing that the two human (well, I guess one wasn't really human, but some identical cold blooded race, not in alien makeup is really what I meant) leads both wound up as regulars on SG1.

Yes. That was pretty strange. Though the actress was more of an outsider in SG-1, a thief and outlaw, brought into the fold... Taken in to replace O'Neil, and I think Carter took a bit of a back seat too (I think maternity leave)...

I think they wanted Ben Browder to star in Stargate Atlantis but Farscape was still on it at the time, so it was more of a next gig after Farscape, and thus could take Claudia black...

TCMF-2L
03-19-2015, 08:59 AM
And who remembers the special 200th episode of Stargate (by now including Ben and Claudia in the cast) where the Stargate team come up with suggestions for a TV show and parody, amongst many other things, Farscape?

TCMF-2L

MacTech
03-19-2015, 09:05 AM
I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be grey. Several times Chriton describes Chiana to people as 'little grey girl'.

Farscape's major appeal was often that Chriton was one of us. Often making sci-fi and other Earth references that the audience would get but the other crew members wouldn't (Eryn once commented that her translator microbes had to have messed up). Even though as time went on they picked up some of his comments (Chiana outright says 'screw the pooch' in a later season.

Nebari (Chiana's species) are gray skinned, males generally have black hair, females white with black roots, their eyes are black, an interesting bit of trivia is that they don't get sunburned or even tan, even though they're very pale, almost "albino"

Nebari society is a strange combination, the adults have a nearly Vulcan level of emotional control (unable to elaborate without spoilers) yet young or outcast Nebari are passionately emotional

Anaamika
03-19-2015, 09:11 AM

Speaking of cold blooded, did they get that cold blooded thing with the Peacekeepers' race (sorry I can't spell it) wrong? Don't cold blooded creatures LIKE the heat? I've seen enough pet reptiles sitting on a rock under a heat lamp to be all "wha?" when they get all frelled up in the heat on the show

Yeah, I am not exactly sure what they were thinking, but my leopard gecko loved his heat lamp. He also had a heating mat under his cave which we switched on in the winters (it gets cold up here in Albany and we don't turn the heat up high).

But then he also had a place to move to when the heat got too high. I guess Aeryn had no place to go, at least in the one episode I saw - all of Moya was too hot.

TCMF-2L
03-19-2015, 09:22 AM
Sebaceans (virtually all Peacekeepers are Sebaceans) aren't actually cold blooded are they? I don't recall that. They are generally treated in the show as human like but stronger and generally physically better. Although unable to tolerate raised heat levels as well.

The only 'cold blooded' thing is their generally unemotional, ruthless nature although, as we see, that is an attitude they adopt for social and professional reasons if they become, or have been bought up as, Peacekeepers.

Other, non-Peacekeeper, Sebaceans display a full range of emotions.

TCMF-2L

MacTech
03-19-2015, 11:42 AM
The Eidolons in S4 elaborate on the apparent commonality between Humans and Sebeceans, personally I saw it as one of the weak, stereotypical plot devices

I also thought Chiana would have been a much better match for John than Aeryn, but John sees Pip as more akin to a "little sister"

grude
03-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Nebari (Chiana's species) are gray skinned, males generally have black hair, females white with black roots, their eyes are black, an interesting bit of trivia is that they don't get sunburned or even tan, even though they're very pale, almost "albino"

Nebari society is a strange combination, the adults have a nearly Vulcan level of emotional control (unable to elaborate without spoilers) yet young or outcast Nebari are passionately emotional

No their society is like Vulcan's kinda, and they outcast those unable to conform to the norm. Like Chiana and her brother.

There is no spoiler here this is covered in the exposition in the first Chiana episode.

Intergalactic Gladiator
03-19-2015, 12:35 PM
I loved the show but I had a little trouble getting into it because I started watching somewhere in the middle of season 1 or so. It helps to get in at the beginning and make more sense that way as the show strays quite a bit from the then-conventional episodic nature of shows.

Sebaceans weren't cold blooded as much as they had a weakness to hotter temperatures. I think that this was specifically engineered into them but I can't recall how much that was elaborated on.

I think some of the alien abilities get a little too wacky like metal-melting screams and flaming pee, but the one that makes the least amount of sense to me is having to punch a wound until the blood runs clear. On a warrior race. So you have to stop in the middle of a giant battle to punch your buddy's cuts. Or a mom has to punch her kids when they get owies. Despite that, the aliens shown on the show run a real wide range of interesting types without really falling into Star Trek's "human with slightly different forehead" races.

And all the characters and interactions are really good. You can see the relationship develop between Chrichton and D'argo, ferinstance. Plus it's fun to see Aeryn Sun and Chrichton get thrown at each other somehow just about every single episode.

grude
03-19-2015, 01:12 PM
Sebaceans weren't cold blooded as much as they had a weakness to hotter temperatures. I think that this was specifically engineered into them but I can't recall how much that was elaborated on.

Yes, they were a slave race of enforcers and had this weakness engineered and then their masters died out.

MacTech
03-19-2015, 01:34 PM
'Mika, have you seen the episode with the Tavloids yet?

Anaamika
03-19-2015, 02:28 PM
'Mika, have you seen the episode with the Tavloids yet?

Yes, that was only episode 4, so I saw it night before last.

I will not be reading your other thread, btw. :)

Chronos
03-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Quoth Mr. Miskatonic:

Yeah, I really liked the bit with how everyone else started off completely ignorant of English and Earth culture, but gradually learned and assimilated it as the show went on. I thought it was most noticeable with Aeryn, though.

"She gives me a woody"
"What did you just say!?"
"It's an Earth expression-- I've heard you use it. She gives me a woody: I have a bad feeling about her."
"That's willies! She gives you the willies!"

And in a later episode, "Oy, she's speaking English! I know this is trouble."

Anaamika
03-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I really liked the bit with how everyone else started off completely ignorant of English and Earth culture, but gradually learned and assimilated it as the show went on. I thought it was most noticeable with Aeryn, though.

"She gives me a woody"
"What did you just say!?"
"It's an Earth expression-- I've heard you use it. She gives me a woody: I have a bad feeling about her."
"That's willies! She gives you the willies!"

Oh yeah that was hilarious.

And just now in one of the episodes there was a joke about Mad Max 3 and the Thunderdome. When Rygel expresses confusion, Crichton responds "Don't worry, nobody saw the third one anyway".

Grrr!
03-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Oh yeah that was hilarious.

And just now in one of the episodes there was a joke about Mad Max 3 and the Thunderdome. When Rygel expresses confusion, Crichton responds "Don't worry, nobody saw the third one anyway".

You know, I forgot about this particular brand of humor on this show. It almost makes me want to watch it again.

MacTech
03-19-2015, 05:07 PM
From I, E.T.....

J; This place reminds me of Louisiana.... Or Dagobah
A; Dagobah?
J; yeah, Dagobah, where Yoda lives....
A; ?Yoda?
J; yeah, little green guy, trains warriors....

TBG
03-19-2015, 10:14 PM
And who remembers the special 200th episode of Stargate (by now including Ben and Claudia in the cast) where the Stargate team come up with suggestions for a TV show and parody, amongst many other things, Farscape?

TCMF-2L

Yes, catching that episode back when they were in weekend syndication is actually what got me into watching the Stargate shows.

Sebaceans (virtually all Peacekeepers are Sebaceans) aren't actually cold blooded are they?

Yes, they explicitly call them cold blooded (and not in a metaphorical sense) on the show, but they don't react to heat like a cold blooded creature, so I'm guessing the writers just dun goofed. (Is that how you spell the name of the race? So glad I didn't even try, I would've been way off on that one).

TCMF-2L
03-20-2015, 04:53 AM
Y

Yes, they explicitly call them cold blooded (and not in a metaphorical sense) on the show, but they don't react to heat like a cold blooded creature, so I'm guessing the writers just dun goofed. (Is that how you spell the name of the race? So glad I didn't even try, I would've been way off on that one).

TBG

Been a while since I watched the show but I checked with a couple of on-line sources and Sebaceans aren't described as cold blooded on either.

There's two relevant incidents I do recall. I don't think mentioning either is a spoiler:

1) Crichton often disguises himself as a Peacekeeper. On one of those occasions an Alien (won't name the species since that would be a spoiler) glances at him and immediately notices his "Heat Signature" is completely wrong for a Sebacean.

However that Alien is supposedly particularly attuned to heat and reading heat signatures and we later see how that character developed the skill as a child. That Alien is so sensitive to body heat they act as a living lie detector. So "easily" detecting Crichton doesn't mean Crichton's body temperature is wildy different to a normal Sebacean.

2) Technically this is a spoiler other than it is only hinted at and never actually confirmed - but purists wanting to avoid all spoilers stop now.

It is hinted throughout the show that Humans (Crichton) and Sebaceans are very similar - Crichton normally passes for a Sebacean even when not in disguise. However at the very end of the show there is a passing comment about Sebaceans were bred from specimens bought across from the other side of the galaxy. Which suggests Sebaceans are modified humans.

It wouldn't surprise me if the show made a passing reference to Sebaceans being cold blooded early on but if they did I think they dropped it soon after.

TCMF-2L

Mahaloth
03-20-2015, 09:27 AM
From I, E.T.....

J; This place reminds me of Louisiana.... Or Dagobah
A; Dagobah?
J; yeah, Dagobah, where Yoda lives....
A; ?Yoda?
J; yeah, little green guy, trains warriors....

And Aeryn just kind of nods and accepts it, since it isn't that odd of a thing to hear out in space.

Mahaloth
03-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Here is the exchange regarding their cold blooded nature. It is said by Crichton and Dargo goes with it, but I don't think even the species out there would have classified them this way. Dargo just kind of agrees to what John says.

Please show me another reference where they are classified as cold blooded.

John: "What's her problem?"
D'Argo: "Sebacean heat delirium."
John: "What?"
D'Argo: "Sebaceans lack the gland necessary to regulate extreme thermal increases."
John: "Wait, Crais and those other bastards chasing us are cold blooded? Literally?"
D'Argo: "It's a weakness not enough of them die from."

Anaamika
03-20-2015, 11:53 AM
And Aeryn just kind of nods and accepts it, since it isn't that odd of a thing to hear out in space.

Yah I'm growing rather fond of her blank looks. You can almost see her thought process: "Crichton is talking about something again. Oh well, he'll be done soon."

grude
03-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Yah I'm growing rather fond of her blank looks. You can almost see her thought process: "Crichton is talking about something again. Oh well, he'll be done soon."

What choice does she have? Crichton is the only source of info on Earth, she can't go check Galactipedia, so yea unless his claim is really outlandish rolling with it is most logical :)

BigT
03-22-2015, 03:54 AM
Here is the exchange regarding their cold blooded nature. It is said by Crichton and Dargo goes with it, but I don't think even the species out there would have classified them this way. Dargo just kind of agrees to what John says.

I don't see why not. Cold-blooded could have been taken to mean that their blood has to stay colder. Or just some phrase that Dargo didn't know what it meant--I'm sure Crichton has a lot of those.

Mahaloth
03-22-2015, 08:21 AM
I don't see why not. Cold-blooded could have been taken to mean that their blood has to stay colder. Or just some phrase that Dargo didn't know what it meant--I'm sure Crichton has a lot of those.

Don't cold blooded-animals slow down in cold weather, though? We have seen Aeryn in colder environments and it is pointed out that Sebaceans were bred to actually thrive in the cold. On the other hand, Scarrans do poorly in cold and do well in warmer temperatures.

WhyNot
03-22-2015, 08:22 AM

Please show me another reference where they are classified as cold blooded.

That's how I understood it. Not cold blooded in a reptilian sense, but cold blooded in a literal sense - their normal body temperature is colder than humans. The translator microbes aren't perfect translators of idioms, and in this case the literal translation would, in fact, sound correct to D'argo. In this case, the literal words "cold blooded" are actually accurate when compared to humans, where as the term "cold-blooded" to refer to poikilothermy, ectothermy, and bradymetabolism are not.

TCMF-2L
03-22-2015, 08:45 AM

I have already staked my claim that Sebaceans are not literally cold blooded. Having said that, the quote you provided undermines my position but can be refuted:

When Crichton asks " [Sebaceans] are cold blooded? Literally?" he is possibly (from context - I don't remember the exchange) incredulous. He may be asking "Literally?" but actually dismissing the notion as it is so incongruous.

D'Argo's reply is vaguely oblique. We know he cares little for Peacekeepers. So it isn't clear whether he understands what Crichton actually means by "Cold blooded" and, as noted up thread, D'Argo could be hearing a typical opaque "Crichtonism" and ignoring it.

I think Sebaceans as cold blooded is simply a minor plot hole by the writers. Added to make a plot point for an episode and largely ignored by the wider show narrative.

TCMF-2L

Anaamika
03-23-2015, 09:41 AM
What choice does she have? Crichton is the only source of info on Earth, she can't go check Galactipedia, so yea unless his claim is really outlandish rolling with it is most logical :)

Oh, I don't mean that she'd necessarily disagree with him. Just that in her head, he must periodically descend into gibberish, so she just waits for him to start making sense again.

Not always patiently, I might add.

I just finished the episode wherein Crichton makes the wormhole and nearly zips back to Earth, and then goes to the mechanic to get the flyer fixed. I didn't like this one too much. For one, Furlow the mechanic really looked kind of freaky and I kept getting distracted by her looks - they put her just in the uncanny valley territory. Plus, Crichton was kind of a douche in this one. Actually, so was D'Argo. And Zhaan was too busy having "photogasms" - which was really uncomfortable, by the way - to be useful. And the allies thing between D'Argo and Crichton was too smooth.

So yeah, I guess I didn't really like the episode. But there were some good parts, with Crichton mastering the bounty hunters.

D'Argo is a shitty fighter though.

Grrr!
04-19-2015, 06:53 AM
I'm reviving this thread to give thanks to Anaamika.

I haven't watched this show since it first aired. IN honor of this thread, I decided to give it a re watch.

I think I'm enjoying it more the second time around! And bonus points for me not remembering there are a shit tonne of episodes I've never seen.

And I also forgot how much I love the humor.

When D'argo acts effeminate, (Due to body switch or whatever.) it cracks my shit up.

Chronos
04-19-2015, 07:31 PM
The body switch episode was just hilarious all around, as well as being a tour de force of acting: You could tell at a glance who was in each body by the mannerisms.

Mahaloth
04-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Netflix has got to get some HD rights for this show so I can watch it again in HD. Did it ever come out on any HD format?

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.