PDA

View Full Version : What did I make?

Johnny L.A.
03-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Yes, yes, I know. 'You made a mess!' But seriously...

Friday I sautéed some cut-up chicken thigh with chopped onions, chopped celery, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Then I added flour and cooked it a bit before adding milk and frozen mixed veg. When the sauce thickened, I put it into a little baking dish and topped it with Bisquick and baked it. The Bisquick pretty much absorbed all of the liquid. It tasted good, and the SO liked it; but...

What did I make? I mean, does it have a name?

silenus
03-18-2015, 02:15 PM
You made a variant pot pie. Just with Bisquick instead of a pie crust on top. Sounds 50s to me.

pulykamell
03-18-2015, 02:23 PM
You made a variant pot pie. Just with Bisquick instead of a pie crust on top. Sounds 50s to me.

Yeah, either that or a variant of chicken & dumplings. (I make mine by basically making a roux-thickened chicken soup and dumping dollops of Bisquick on top.)

IvoryTowerDenizen
03-18-2015, 02:24 PM
Yes, yes, I know. 'You made a mess!' But seriously...

Friday I sautéed some cut-up chicken thigh with chopped onions, chopped celery, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Then I added flour and cooked it a bit before adding milk and frozen mixed veg. When the sauce thickened, I put it into a little baking dish and topped it with Bisquick and baked it. The Bisquick pretty much absorbed all of the liquid. It tasted good, and the SO liked it; but...

What did I make? I mean, does it have a name?

Sounds like a pot pie.

Tibby
03-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Sounds like you may have inadvertently stumbled upon Bisquick drop dumplings (they figure big in my pressure-cooker Chicken & Dumpling recipe, which is, if I may be so bold, to die for).

Did you add the Bisquick dry, or mix it to batter, first?

Tibby
03-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Drat, Ninja'd by Pulykamell!

running coach
03-18-2015, 02:28 PM

With a Jello salad on the side.

TriPolar
03-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Chicken pot - Chicken pot - Chicken pot pie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzJw0_UzM-s#t=49s)

running coach
03-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Chicken pot - Chicken pot - Chicken pot pie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzJw0_UzM-s#t=49s)

Chicken Pot Pie. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3JXNut-wO0) Weird Al live.

Tibby
03-18-2015, 02:41 PM
With a Jello salad on the side.
...and pineapple upsidedown cake for dessert.

pulykamell
03-18-2015, 02:41 PM
If you used batter (which is my assumption), it can also be called chicken dumpling casserole (http://www.theshadyporch.com/2011/11/chicken-dumpling-casserole.html#.VQnUyIHF-dw).

Johnny L.A.
03-18-2015, 02:44 PM

Yeah, either that or a variant of chicken & dumplings. (I make mine by basically making a roux-thickened chicken soup and dumping dollops of Bisquick on top.)

Sounds like a pot pie.
Yeah, I was kind of going for a pot-pie style of thing, only with 'dumplings' instead of pie crust. (I don't know how to make a pie crust.) But virtually all of the liquid was absorbed. I wasn't entirely sure where I was going with it. I just wanted A) something hot; B) something that would be ready when the SO got home; and C) something that used stuff I had in the house, since I didn't want to go to the market. So I made it up as I went along.

Did you add the Bisquick dry, or mix it to batter, first?

I made a batter.

Johnny L.A.
03-18-2015, 02:47 PM
If you used batter (which is my assumption), it can also be called chicken dumpling casserole (http://www.theshadyporch.com/2011/11/chicken-dumpling-casserole.html#.VQnUyIHF-dw).

Not quite the same, but maybe that's what I'll call it.

Tibby
03-18-2015, 02:49 PM
I made a batter.

Well, that's a relief, otherwise we'd have to fire you from your own kitchen.

Spud
03-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Yup... it sounds like a variation on a chicken pot pie to me. Or more importantly... it sounds pretty darn good to me.

Tibby
03-18-2015, 02:58 PM
...(I don't know how to make a pie crust.)

If you do learn, and you should, be sure to use lard. I'm a lard man and you should be one, too.

Johnny L.A.
03-18-2015, 03:17 PM
If you do learn, and you should, be sure to use lard. I'm a lard man and you should be one, too.

The SO has something against lard. (I once wanted to use lard to make refried beans, and she wouldn't hear of it. It was OK for me to use bacon grease though. :p ) It will have to be Crisco.

silenus
03-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Keep a couple of the frozen pie crusts in the freezer for times like this. They aren't home-made, but they'll do for making a leftovers/freezer stash pot pie.

Johnny L.A.
03-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Keep a couple of the frozen pie crusts in the freezer for times like this. They aren't home-made, but they'll do for making a leftovers/freezer stash pot pie.

I have some puff pastry dough in the freezer. But I also have bangers. I thought I might make sausage rolls. No idea how. I just thought I'd take the sausage meat out of the casing, roll it up in the pastry dough, cut it into about two-inch portions, and bake it.

Anyway, good idea to keep frozen pie crusts. Only we have a 36-inch (?) wide fridge with French doors, so the freezer is pretty narrow. Also full. (I should get my film out of there and shoot some footage.)

IvoryTowerDenizen
03-18-2015, 03:34 PM
I have some puff pastry dough in the freezer. But I also have bangers. I thought I might make sausage rolls. No idea how. I just thought I'd take the sausage meat out of the casing, roll it up in the pastry dough, cut it into about two-inch portions, and bake it.

Anyway, good idea to keep frozen pie crusts. Only we have a 36-inch (?) wide fridge with French doors, so the freezer is pretty narrow. Also full. (I should get my film out of there and shoot some footage.)

Buy the Pillsbury kind that rolls up. THen it's just storing a rectangle.

silenus
03-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Buy the Pillsbury kind that rolls up. THen it's just storing a rectangle.

Exactly. The only reason to buy the full crusts is if you have to make a number of pies all at once. But the Pillsbury stuff is very adaptable.

pulykamell
03-18-2015, 03:38 PM
Not quite the same, but maybe that's what I'll call it.

Yeah, that recipe has you pouring stock over the whole thing before you cook it, but when I make chicken and dumplings, I don't do that. It sounds like the only thing you did different than me with my chicken and dumplings is I put in spoons of batter on top instead of pouring the whole thing over it.

Johnny L.A.
03-18-2015, 03:48 PM
I put in spoons of batter on top instead of pouring the whole thing over it.

That's what I did. Only, there was a lot of batter.

silenus
03-18-2015, 03:58 PM

Judges?

Judges say.....OK! They roll big joints too! :p

Johnny L.A.
03-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Judges say.....OK! They roll big joints too! :p

Let me tell you about these really neat table candles I make...

pulykamell
03-18-2015, 04:32 PM

There can never be too much batter for chicken and dumplings. That's the best part! :)

(When I do chicken and dumplings with Bisquick drop biscuits and spoon it over, I get something like 3-inch tall dumplings.)

Tibby
03-18-2015, 06:29 PM
The SO has something against lard. (I once wanted to use lard to make refried beans, and she wouldn't hear of it. It was OK for me to use bacon grease though. :p ) It will have to be Crisco.
I sincerely wish no disrespect or to promulgate discord in any way, but you must retain a big time, big-nosed (…”big nose” is not a bigoted remark; some of my best friends have big noses, including my dog) divorce attorney ASAP. If your spouse declares, no lard!; you must reply, no marriage!

…You might want to get a second opinion about all this, of course.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.