PDA

View Full Version : SongShitting, as in, "Thats a real good song, except for this part"

Gatopescado
03-19-2015, 12:25 AM
I was listening to the radio today and Led Zep's Fool In The Rain comes on and I haven't heard it in a long time. Then I remember why. I avoid it like a dose of The Clap due to the fucking Miami Sound Machine Conga Line middle section. Complete with a fucking whistle. Whistles are not musical instruments! They are what sports coaches use to get kids attention.

Otherwise a pretty decent song. Totally ruined, or SongShitted (I'm gonna trademark, that, I am!).

My wife hates My Sharona for, what she calls, the gratuitous guitar solo that (she claims) is half-assed and thrown in and doesn't jibe with the rest of the song. I kinda like it.

I've got some more, but I wanna have The Dope nominate other examples of Songshitting. I won't get into the excruciating second half of Layla because I don't think the first part is all that good to begin with. So, lets list some really good songs with some really bad parts!

I predict this will fly like a...... oh, never mind.

eschereal
03-19-2015, 01:01 AM
When I was ripping Lucky Man for my song collection, I thought, screw that inane synth crap at the end, so I used Audacity to blend it into my favorite Steely Dan song, East St. Louis Toodle-oo.

Face Intentionally Left Blank
03-19-2015, 01:15 AM
My wife hates My Sharona for, what she calls, the gratuitous guitar solo that (she claims) is half-assed and thrown in and doesn't jibe with the rest of the song. I kinda like it.

Wow. I consider the rest of the song a life-support system for the guitar solo. It's not bad, but the song would have never done as well as it did without that roller-coaster of a solo. One of the great rock guitar solos of all time. Yeah, it was lengthy and perhaps indulgent, but it was also awesome. There was a time when such epic guitar solos could be commonly found in the wild. Sadly, as near as I can tell, they're mostly found in zoos and museums now.

I love "For the Love of God" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okLDkcexiVg) by Steve Via, but at about 5:45 to 5:55, he gets all "noodley". I thought that ruined the flow of the song, and even went so far as to edit out that section. Luckily for me, the song gave me the opportunity to do so without a noticeable click or abrupt change in the music.

scabpicker
03-19-2015, 02:22 AM
Wow. I consider the rest of the song a life-support system for the guitar solo. It's not bad, but the song would have never done as well as it did without that roller-coaster of a solo. One of the great rock guitar solos of all time. Yeah, it was lengthy and perhaps indulgent, but it was also awesome. There was a time when such epic guitar solos could be commonly found in the wild. Sadly, as near as I can tell, they're mostly found in zoos and museums now.

Yep, I will endure all of the protests of anyone in the room or car to listen to that guitar solo. The ring modulator tone is just crazy, and Page is in one of his best moments.

My vote is for the key change in the guitar solo of Mr. Soul (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEMpIrC6OQA) by Buffalo Springfield. It's all cute sounding to me, and kind of stomps on the mood of the song. I love that song, but when it comes on, my brain starts nagging about that part until we get past it.

Art Rock
03-19-2015, 03:53 AM
When I was ripping Lucky Man for my song collection, I thought, screw that inane synth crap at the end, so I used Audacity to blend it into my favorite Steely Dan song, East St. Louis Toodle-oo.

"that inane synth crap" is the best part of the song. YMMV, and indeed does.

Les Espaces Du Sommeil
03-19-2015, 03:58 AM
Blondie - Rapture

The ethereal melody in the first half of the song may be the best one they ever wrote. And then Debbie starts rapping... :(.

Critical1
03-19-2015, 05:12 AM
The Fugees cover of Killing me softly has that rancid assed call and response shit going on part way into the song. I also used audacity to edit that shit out (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiKuOeMsJF4)

Biggirl
03-19-2015, 05:42 AM
Sweet Home Alabama is a great song about state pride except the part with all the racism in it.

Kuru
03-19-2015, 06:13 AM
The kazoo section in Pink Floyd's Corporal Clegg.

Les Espaces Du Sommeil
03-19-2015, 06:45 AM
The Fugees cover of Killing me softly has that rancid assed call and response shit going on part way into the song. I also used audacity to edit that shit out (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiKuOeMsJF4)

Yeah, that's bad. The pachydermic drums are even worse, though.

For a while, in the 1990s and early 2000's, it seemed that the way to go when you wanted to cover a song was: "You know what this tune needs? BOOM-BOOM-BOOM. OK, it's a wrap."

OneCentStamp
03-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Sweet Home Alabama is a great song about state pride except the part with all the racism in it.

Yeah, the obvious paean to George F'n Wallace is pretty horrible. :mad:

And they were from Florida, so they actually had to go out of their way to write a song that praises Alabama as "home." :smack:

Honey
03-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Yeah, the obvious paean to George F'n Wallace is pretty horrible. :mad:

And they were from Florida, so they actually had to go out of their way to write a song that praises Alabama as "home." :smack:

Love that song. They wrote it as a tribute to the Muscle Shoals Studios in Alabama where they recorded in the early 70's. The studio was their "Sweet home" during those years.

RealityChuck
03-19-2015, 07:30 AM
The Doors. "Light My Fire." They got the single version right by cutting out the terrible organ solo.

Leaffan
03-19-2015, 07:34 AM
Huh?

iiandyiiii
03-19-2015, 07:37 AM
Love that song. They wrote it as a tribute to the Muscle Shoals Studios in Alabama where they recorded in the early 70's. The studio was their "Sweet home" during those years.

They also included lines like "the Governor's true", and some stuff about Neil Young after Young wrote songs criticizing George Wallace and Alabama during Civil Rights.

DCnDC
03-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Was never a fan of the up-tempo section at the end of "Magic Carpet Ride." It does have a place in the song, but it goes on for WAY too long. What should have been a few bars at most turns into a pointless organ solo and "Look! Backwards guitar!"

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
03-19-2015, 07:47 AM
You guys seem to have totally missed the point of that verse in "Sweet Home Alabama." They literally boo George Wallace, and defend the populace of Alabama by saying that they shouldn't be judged by Wallace any more than the rest of the country should be judged by Nixon.

In Birmingham they love the governor (boo, boo, boo)
Now we all did what we could do
Now Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you?

iiandyiiii
03-19-2015, 07:49 AM
You guys seem to have totally missed the point of that verse in "Sweet Home Alabama." They literally boo George Wallace, and defend the populace of Alabama by saying that they shouldn't be judged by Wallace any more than the rest of the country should be judged by Nixon.

In Birmingham they love the governor (boo, boo, boo)
Now we all did what we could do
Now Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you?

Then why did they say "the governor's true"? Further, defending the populace of Alabama (at the time, considering what majorities supported) is objectionable in itself.

Not a huge deal, of course.

Leaffan
03-19-2015, 07:52 AM
Nah, nah nah, na na na na! Hey Jude!

Repeat a thousand times.

psychonaut
03-19-2015, 07:56 AM
There's related discussion in this previous thread: Great songs ruined by terrible solos (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=468574).

For me, the quintessential example of this phenomenon is "Something in the Air" by Thunderclap Newman, an otherwise wonderful song ruined by someone whose idea of a solo is to bang tunelessly on a piano for a full minute.

Amateur Barbarian
03-19-2015, 08:00 AM
Repeat a thousand times.
NA, na, na NA na ha, NA na na NA na na...

Repeat two thousand times.

Alessan
03-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Billy Joel's "Angry Young Man" is a terrific extended intro followed by a fun little song with a horrible synth solo stuck in the middle of it.

bump
03-19-2015, 08:20 AM
I'll probably get virtually tarred and feathered for the mere suggestion, but "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus isn't horrible, except for that "wre-ee-ee-ee-ck me" bit at the end of the chorus. It's weird and jarring, and takes what's an otherwise decent song and makes it sound like she's trying to imitate some sort of electronic voice effect.

ftg
03-19-2015, 08:36 AM
This may be obscure to most of you. I really like Midnight Radio (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWcPAEpuq4) from Hedwig and The Angry Inch. Except it eventually gets into repeating "Lift up your head." over and over and over ...

No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much.

campp
03-19-2015, 08:42 AM
Once you hear the cowbell in Don't Fear The Reaper, you can never un-hear it.

WOOKINPANUB
03-19-2015, 08:45 AM
NA, na, na NA na ha, NA na na NA na na...

Repeat two thousand times.

I assume you're referring to a certain Journey song here. At least that's what I thought of when I saw Leaffan's post.

For me, not being a musician and all, the majority of extended solos bore / piss me off. Even that classic solo by Mr Page on Stairway to Heaven comes dangerously close to "shut the fuck up already".

I'm very lyrics oriented so a stupid phrase is more likely to ruin a song for me, but I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.

Darth Panda
03-19-2015, 08:46 AM
The Doors. "Light My Fire." They got the single version right by cutting out the terrible organ solo.

A pox on you. The world has few enough organ solos without your baseless attacks.

Leaffan
03-19-2015, 08:50 AM

A pox on you. The world has few enough organ solos without your baseless attacks.
Agreed.

And don't go anywhere near In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, man!

Catamount
03-19-2015, 08:53 AM
This may be obscure to most of you. I really like Midnight Radio (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWcPAEpuq4) from Hedwig and The Angry Inch. Except it eventually gets into repeating "Lift up your head." over and over and over ...

No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much. No song needs a line repeated that much.

I refer to that as the song running out of words before it runs out of music.

Honey
03-19-2015, 09:01 AM
They also included lines like "the Governor's true", and some stuff about Neil Young after Young wrote songs criticizing George Wallace and Alabama during Civil Rights.

Yeah. They thought Young was dissing the South in a few of his songs, so they kind of shot back at him. Neil Young actually sang "Sweet Home Alabama" at a memorial service for the 3 members, who died in the plane crash. That's pretty cool.

iiandyiiii
03-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Yeah. They thought Young was dissing the South in a few of his songs, so they kind of shot back at him. Neil Young actually sang "Sweet Home Alabama" at a memorial service for the 3 members, who died in the plane crash. That's pretty cool.

It doesn't change that it might be a great song, but I feel just a tiny bit nauseous (while singing along) when it occurs to me that Skynyrd was attempting to defend the morally indefensible. Skynyrd isn't the devil, and they might be great guys, but they were glossing over some of the worst moral wrongs of 20th century America.

Just Asking Questions
03-19-2015, 09:39 AM
In Sympathy for the Devil, once I pointed out to my wife the background "woot woo!" now that's all she can hear. She sings that part along with the song. I've created a monster!

Gatopescado
03-19-2015, 10:00 AM
RE: Skynyrd vs. Young

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, give this a listen. A great song with no bad part. It addresses the "Sweet Home Alabama" thing.

The Three Great Alabama Icons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MIztbe1_e8

Procrustus
03-19-2015, 10:07 AM
I really like Taxi, but that part in the middle, which I'm sure many people think is so cool, is really hard for me to get through.

Oh, I've got something inside me
To drive a princess blind
There's a wild man, wizard
He's hiding in me, illuminating my mind
Not what my life's about
'Cause I've been letting my outside tide me
Over 'til my time, runs out

pulykamell
03-19-2015, 10:09 AM
The best part of "My Sharona" is the guitar solo!

I'm probably not going to get much agreement in this, but the Derek and the Dominoes "Layla" is my vote. I can't stand that (IMHO, I stress) boring, repetitive, tacked-on piano ending.

pulykamell
03-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Plus I agree with "Light My Fire." My main instrument is piano/keyboards, and I can't stand that endless meandering noodling. That said, I'm also not much of a Doors fan, and I think that type of meditative, psychedelic space-out is probably what a lot of fans like. When I'm in the mood for extended two-chord modal improvisation, I'll turn to Miles Davis.

OneCentStamp
03-19-2015, 10:24 AM

I'm probably not going to get much agreement in this, but the Derek and the Dominoes "Layla" is my vote. I can't stand that (IMHO, I stress) boring, repetitive, tacked-on piano ending.

I only left it alone because the OP more or less pre-empted it. But if we want to talk about the coda to "Layla":

God, I hate that thing. It goes nowhere for like three full minutes. It sounds like someone recorded the first take of them fucking around, without even knowing the chord progression yet, and printed it to tape. It's hard to believe that's a prime Duane Allman and a near-prime Eric Clapton. I've never been so glad to hear two guitarists buried behind a piano in my life.

RealityChuck
03-19-2015, 10:27 AM
It doesn't change that it might be a great song, but I feel just a tiny bit nauseous (while singing along) when it occurs to me that Skynyrd was attempting to defend the morally indefensible. Skynyrd isn't the devil, and they might be great guys, but they were glossing over some of the worst moral wrongs of 20th century America.Skynyd was to the left politically (see "Saturday Night Special").

"Sweet Home Alabama" is a joke from start to finish. It's a parody of anthems, told from the point of view of a redneck. Calling it "morally indefensible" is like getting outraged that Jonathan Swift advocated eating babies.

Re: "Light My Fire."

I have no objection to organ solos; I just want good ones.

pulykamell
03-19-2015, 10:27 AM

I only left it alone because the OP more or less pre-empted it. But if we want to talk about the coda to "Layla":

God, I hate that thing. It goes nowhere for like three full minutes. It sounds like someone recorded the first take of them fucking around, without even knowing the chord progression yet, and printed it to tape. It's hard to believe that's a prime Duane Allman and a near-prime Eric Clapton. I've never been so glad to hear two guitarists buried behind a piano in my life.

Damn. I didn't even notice it buried in the OP. Whoops! So I guess I'm not the only one.

pulykamell
03-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Ok, I feel like I need to make up for missing the end of the OP with another contribution. I'm a big Smashing Pumpkins fan, and the first time I heard "Everlasting Gaze" off Machina I was liking it well enough until that a capella bridge about 2:45 into the song. It was at that point that the Ounpkins turned into self-parody for me, and that was the last album I bought by them.

Macca26
03-19-2015, 10:42 AM
It's not quite the same thing as what's being described, but the fake radio stuffed into the entire Songs for the Deaf album by Queens of the Stone Age was cute for exactly one play through. Now I want to scream every time I just want to listen to it but have to suffer through that awful fake radio shit to get to it.

I should just use an audio editor to cut it all out and never listen to it on original CD again.

Dung Beetle
03-19-2015, 10:43 AM
I love love love the song "Changes" by Yes, but for a long time I thought I hated it because I couldn't get past the intro...what is that, a xylophone?

I cope with it now, but I still always think of the rest of the song as "the good part".

desertmonk
03-19-2015, 10:46 AM
I assume you're referring to a certain Journey song here. At least that's what I thought of when I saw Leaffan's post.

"Hey Jude" The Beatles...

iiandyiiii
03-19-2015, 10:49 AM
"Sweet Home Alabama" is a joke from start to finish. It's a parody of anthems, told from the point of view of a redneck. Calling it "morally indefensible" is like getting outraged that Jonathan Swift advocated eating babies.

If this is so, it's news to me. I'll try and read more about it.

gallows fodder
03-19-2015, 10:50 AM
U2's "Unforgettable Fire," which just may be my favorite song ever, is my favorite despite that horrible cheesy synthasized drum part in the middle. The rest of the song is an ageless, timeless, classic....and then there's that part.

ISiddiqui
03-19-2015, 10:54 AM
In "Blame Game" on Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy", the long drawn out end part involving the Chris Rock dialogue was funny the first time, but its just ridiculously long and boring every time after that. The "that's a really good song, except for that part" of the OP turns into "that's a really good album, except for that part".

Nonsuch
03-19-2015, 10:55 AM
"Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" is my favorite Stevie Wonder song, even despite the weird dialogue, which doesn't even make sense with the song (it would work better with "He's Misstra Know-it-All").

WOOKINPANUB
03-19-2015, 10:55 AM
"Hey Jude" The Beatles...

I meant that I thought Amateur Barbarian was responding to Leaffan's post about Hey Jude with his own mention of Journey's "Lovin', Touchin" Squeezin"

". . . now it's your turn girl to cryyyyyyyyyyyy

Nah na na Nah na na Nah Nah na Nah Nah " ad infinitum

xizor
03-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Tom Petty has a fine song in American Girl. But why oh why did he feel the need to include a "disco interlude" in the middle.

Gatopescado
03-19-2015, 11:55 AM

The second half of Layla sounds like cats fucking to me.

Gatopescado
03-19-2015, 11:58 AM

How about the one smack in the middle of Close To The Edge by Yes? :dubious: I always figured they could have done without that.

Qadgop the Mercotan
03-19-2015, 12:49 PM
I always thought that the middle third of Gordon Lightfoot's Canadian Railway Trilogy bit the big one, even as I loved the first and final thirds.

Cumbrian
03-19-2015, 01:19 PM
It's hardly a classic but the poster child of this for me (a child of the 80s being in my late teens when it came out) is Singing In My Sleep by Semisonic which has this terrible 3-3-4 note organ/synthy bit running through it, that does not fit the song at all. Without it, it would have been an agreeable rock song with a hooky chorus. Instead, I spend the entire song going "Why? Why? Why?" every time that 10 note motif plays. Thankfully, it was a minor hit at best and the number of times I hear it in the wild is pretty limited.

Cornelius Tuggerson
03-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Blondie - Rapture

The ethereal melody in the first half of the song may be the best one they ever wrote. And then Debbie starts rapping... :(.

I wholeheartedly concur. Most of the time they would try out stuff that didn't seem like it would fit, I loved it. In this instance it just didn't click for me.

GargoyleWB
03-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Rage Against the Machine "Killing in the Name Of" has an unlistenable screechy guitar solo that kills the song. It edits out nicely in Audacity though.

My opinion on this will probably go over about as well as pushing Gandhi down a stairwell, but I've never liked Joni Mitchell's pitching her voice and laughing at the outro of "Big Yellow Taxi". That's fine to stick on a B-side as an alternate version for fans who think it's charming and cute, but IMO she ruined a brilliant song and performance.

Every boy-band or crooner R&B song where they have a "talking" bridge of "ooh baby, here's how I'm going to love you" instructions. Squicky dive lounge pillow talk? In my peanut butter?

ZipperJJ
03-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Ben Folds has this beautiful, deep song called "Cologne (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxx5WvePCtY)" with rich instrumentation and even a choir. It's a really great breakup song.

Except in the middle of his beautiful lyrics are these fucking awful lyrics. An absolute SongShit:

"Says here an astronaut
put on a pair of diapers
and drove eighteen hours
to kill her boyfriend."

Goddammit, it really kills the mood!

pulykamell
03-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Rage Against the Machine "Killing in the Name Of" has an unlistenable screechy guitar solo that kills the song. It edits out nicely in Audacity though.

:eek:

Morbo
03-19-2015, 01:50 PM
The Beck song Novacane (https://youtu.be/S2whdGwK84Y) is pretty enjoyable (for me) until about the 3:20 mark, when suddenly a bunch of screechy distortion blurts out, deafening anyone unlucky enough to be listening with headphones on.

I've also noticed in about a hundred new rap songs, the same bunch of dudes show up and start shouting "Hey! Hey!" in the background.

ETA: I just went looking for an example of the dudes shouting "Hey! Hey!" and came across this (https://youtu.be/ES03SQyU_2o) amusing video - I guess I'm not alone

Just Asking Questions
03-19-2015, 02:45 PM
All this talk of editing songs (I use Sound Studio myself) reminds me of one song I wish it were possible to edit: Big Audio Dynamite's E=MC2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E%3DMC2_%28song%29).

The song uses audio clips from a movie as emphasis for the lyrics. That by itself isn't bad, but they sound like they were copied from the film by using a hand held cassette recorder that was located somewhere in the room where the film was playing on a crappy 1960s era portable TV. Combine that with the accents of the characters in the movie and all you get is muddled mush for the most part.

I wish it was possible to remove them, because I love the sound of the song. But the samples always take me out of the "mood".

gallows fodder
03-19-2015, 02:51 PM
My opinion on this will probably go over about as well as pushing Gandhi down a stairwell, but I've never liked Joni Mitchell's pitching her voice and laughing at the outro of "Big Yellow Taxi". That's fine to stick on a B-side as an alternate version for fans who think it's charming and cute, but IMO she ruined a brilliant song and performance.

I feel the same way about the last couple of seconds of Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying." Man, after that epic 11-minute song, I want it to end with satisfying finality, not peter out with a goofy moment.

"No no no!" all the Led Zep fans howl in unison, "don't you see, that's the perfect ending it's funny it subverts your expectations and [incoherent droning]"

I don't care. I don't like that ending.

eschereal
03-19-2015, 03:01 PM
Hunting Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3n8cCZ-3Eo) has an excellent, elaborate melody that we were greatly pleased to hear live at the Gorge, but when you drop in the singing part, the song just seems to deflate. There is a short instrumental bridge that kind of picks it up a tad, but then there is more singing to dilute the music. The other pieces from Songs from the Wood, one of the most solid full albums of ever, do not suffer in the least from the singing parts, but this one should have just been fully instrumental.

GargoyleWB
03-19-2015, 03:05 PM
:eek:

Hehe. Let me propose a solution to "Killing in the Name Of". Splice in the solo from Billy Idol "White Wedding". Now it's perfect :)

actualliberalnotoneofthose
03-19-2015, 03:22 PM
Skynyd was to the left politically (see "Saturday Night Special").

Re: "Light My Fire."

Or it could just be reinforcement of their apparent racism, since the origins of "Saturday Night Special" and that particular gun control movement were racist.

Asimovian
03-19-2015, 03:40 PM
From the rap side, I was always a huge fan of Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet" from the album of the same name, perhaps more for the message than the musicality. But the last verse of the song concludes with this gem:

All I want is peace and love on this planet.
Ain't how that God planned it?

The grammatical construction of the final sentence is perpetually nails-on-chalkboard for me. To paraphrase a quote from my favorite "Iron Chef" episode: Chuck D, how could you?!

pulykamell
03-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Hehe. Let me propose a solution to "Killing in the Name Of". Splice in the solo from Billy Idol "White Wedding". Now it's perfect :)

Stop it! :)

(Seriously, though, that Morello solo is one of my favorite guitar solos of the last 20 years, and I don't otherwise listen to Rage, but for him.)

Shoeless
03-19-2015, 04:52 PM
That weird lounge-singer-ey interlude in the middle of Gypsy's "Dead And Gone" really ruins an otherwise awesome song.

MrSquishy
03-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Hunting Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3n8cCZ-3Eo) has an excellent, elaborate melody that we were greatly pleased to hear live at the Gorge, but when you drop in the singing part, the song just seems to deflate. There is a short instrumental bridge that kind of picks it up a tad, but then there is more singing to dilute the music. The other pieces from Songs from the Wood, one of the most solid full albums of ever, do not suffer in the least from the singing parts, but this one should have just been fully instrumental.I'm not sure how you could bring up Jethro Tull in this thread and not mention The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles from an otherwise great album/song, A Passion Play. What were they thinking?

seal_cleaner
03-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Stevie Wonder's lyrics. "I Wish" is one of my favorite songs, but the "wasn't if fun being a kid" theme really doesn't match the tune or arrangement.

GargoyleWB
03-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Stop it! :)

(Seriously, though, that Morello solo is one of my favorite guitar solos of the last 20 years, and I don't otherwise listen to Rage, but for him.)

I hear ya, I love Morello also. On paper it's technically a good solo, it's really the tone that's terrible, his line in/out jacks are apparently plugged into the ass/mouth of a sick cat :D

gaffa
03-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Sing on Annie Lennox's Songs of Mass Destruction. The album has a great groove, but it's utterly crushed by being preceded by a women saying "This is a call for the National Implementation Of Mother to Child Transmission Prevention Program In all the maternity hospitals in South Africa"

OK, fine. It's an important thing, preventing AIDS transmission to babies. The thing is, I don't need to hear it every single fucking time I listen to the album!

My personal copy has that bit edited out.

WordMan
03-19-2015, 06:01 PM
I absolutely adore Gang of Four's Love like Anthrax. But man, the first minute of solid-state-amp feedback gets really, really annoying. But when the drums kick in...well, yay.

Blank Slate
03-19-2015, 06:42 PM
I really like Tonight by The Smashing Pumpkins except for the vocal track.

Also, Crazy In Love would be better without Jay-Z's rapping. Making it worse, I know it's "hove" but it sounds like "young ho".

Ponch8
03-19-2015, 07:57 PM
For me, the quintessential example of this phenomenon is "Something in the Air" by Thunderclap Newman, an otherwise wonderful song ruined by someone whose idea of a solo is to bang tunelessly on a piano for a full minute.

I like Tom Petty's cover (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bnSVLGZRs) of this song better. He changes the instrumentation from the original solo and tightens it up considerably.

My contributions: "Roam" by the B52's: the beginning sounds like some horrible Enya squealing, but then the rest of the song kicks ass. "Safe and Sound" by Capital Cities: there's a synthesizer solo immediately following the bridge. The solo doesn't really fit the rest of the song and should be eliminated.

JohnT
03-19-2015, 09:26 PM
In "Blame Game" on Kanye West's "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy", the long drawn out end part involving the Chris Rock dialogue was funny the first time, but its just ridiculously long and boring every time after that. The "that's a really good song, except for that part" of the OP turns into "that's a really good album, except for that part".

I was going to nominate pretty much everything that happened in "Runaway" from about 5:45-onward.

Gatopescado
03-19-2015, 11:11 PM
My opinion on this will probably go over about as well as pushing Gandhi down a stairwell, but I've never liked Joni Mitchell's pitching her voice and laughing at the outro of "Big Yellow Taxi".

I won't tell anybody you pushed him if you don't tell anybody I kicked him on the way down! :D

Yeah, Big Yellow Taxi needs to be a few seconds shorter.

This thread makes me need to learn how to use these editing programs. Just as soon as I get my computer running again!

eschereal
03-19-2015, 11:32 PM
Audacity is an incredibly nice piece of software, fairly easy to learn and use, and IME, freeware.

TCMF-2L
03-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Killing Joke and Love Like Blood - a prime slice of post punk, power pop / rock pseudo epic posturing OUGHT to be one of my all time favourite tracks but there is something flat about the production. It comes so close to being stirring but never hits the highs. So frustrating.

Meanwhile Our Lips Are Sealed by Fun Boy Three has a soaring beginning. Then immediately segues into a bland pop song. Don't like the Go-Gos version.

Genesis and Turn It On. Love the start of the song but before the 3m 50s are up I've lost interest.

TCMF-2L

UncleMoose
03-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Emerson Lake and Palmer fan (except, oddly enough, for Lucky Man).

Beyond jarring, though, is this bit in the middle of "Still... You Turn Me On"

Every day a little sadder
A little madder
Someone get me a ladder

What???

And then they named one of their tours after that line.

OneCentStamp
03-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Killing Joke and Love Like Blood - a prime slice of post punk, power pop / rock pseudo epic posturing OUGHT to be one of my all time favourite tracks but there is something flat about the production. It comes so close to being stirring but never hits the highs. So frustrating.

I completely agree on this one. I mean, I love that song, but I don't love it as much as I should have, somehow. And I think it's down to the sound, which is cold and flat even by 80s standards.

Indyellen
03-20-2015, 11:39 AM
I love Tainted Love, the first half. I keep hoping it'll stop there, but then it rolls into Where Did Our Love Go, and I hate it. The two just don't go together, to me.

And I agree with the piano ending on Layla. Just make it go away.

ISiddiqui
03-20-2015, 01:00 PM
I was going to nominate pretty much everything that happened in "Runaway" from about 5:45-onward.

This is where YMMV comes into play - I think the end of Runaway is some of the best stuff on the album.

Superdude
03-20-2015, 01:28 PM
In Sympathy for the Devil, once I pointed out to my wife the background "woot woo!" now that's all she can hear. She sings that part along with the song. I've created a monster!

The amazing part of this song, in my opinion, is imagining Keith Richards in the studio, singing "woo woo" into a microphone over and over.

WordMan
03-20-2015, 02:48 PM
Keef's lead is haiku-perfect.

BurnMeUp
03-20-2015, 03:16 PM
I love Tainted Love, the first half. I keep hoping it'll stop there, but then it rolls into Where Did Our Love Go, and I hate it. The two just don't go together, to me.

And I agree with the piano ending on Layla. Just make it go away.

I think that's a specific remix though. I remember my original copy of Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret just had Tainted Love as a single track.

BurnMeUp
03-20-2015, 03:17 PM
I really like the Bad Religion song The Defense - EXCEPT for the part where the backing vocal throws in "Yeah Right" as a response to one of the lines. That makes me want to kick them in the taco.

Dung Beetle
03-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Oh, good one.

funky little lee
03-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Maybe not super-horrible, but a disappointment, is when the Doobies' Jesus Is Just Alright With Me segues from the strong, slick opener into a boring, sluggish blues song. I'd edit it out but then the song would only be about 1 minute long.

I did edit the synth solo out of Zep's All My Love. It's so freaking out of place in a song with all that medieval imagery. It would've been fine if they'd have had actual string instruments--and seeing how they had their own jet, they certainly could've afforded it.

funky little lee
03-20-2015, 08:46 PM

Repeat a thousand times.

My husband does a parody that begins: "Hey Jude, I hate this song, 'cuz it's so boring, and so monotonous..."

RobotDevilDog
03-21-2015, 02:08 AM
I always thought the perfect example of this was Meat Loaf's "Paradise By the Dashboard Light". Most of the song is a classic rocker, but then the fun comes to a screeching halt for over a minute so that we can hear the eternally annoying (RIP) Phil Rizzuto doing a play-by-play of sexual baseball metaphors.

I have made myself a version with this part edited out, and it REALLY helps.

psychonaut
03-21-2015, 03:07 AM
I like Tom Petty's cover (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bnSVLGZRs) of this song better. He changes the instrumentation from the original solo and tightens it up considerably.Yeah, of the two versions I prefer that one. But even the solo in Petty's cover is a bit lacklustre. I've yet to hear a version of "Something in the Air" whose solo I really enjoy.

typoink
03-21-2015, 11:50 AM

Out of curiosity, have you seen Hedwig live? That repetition sticks out like a sore thumb on the album or in the movie, but when I saw it on Broadway it really clicked. Hedwig is really singing to the crowd very directly at that point, and the repetition gave her(?) time to interact a bit.

Also, it bears mentioning that "Midnight Radio" tracks very closely with Bowie's "Rock and Roll Suicide," which outros with a repeated line of "Gimme your hands."

Superdude
03-21-2015, 12:18 PM
I won't tell anybody you pushed him if you don't tell anybody I kicked him on the way down! :D

Yeah, Big Yellow Taxi needs to be a few seconds shorter.

This thread makes me need to learn how to use these editing programs. Just as soon as I get my computer running again!

And the Counting Crows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvtJPs8IDgU) cover needs to have Vanessa Carlton's "ooh...bop bop bop" edited out.

Actually, it was added as a bonus track to their CD Hard Candy, and the Vanessa Carlton part was absent. It didn't appear until their compilation album Films About Ghosts. Plus, if the track is listed on the song list for Hard Candy, it's the Carlton version. If it's not listed on the outside of the CD case, her vocals are absent.

psychonaut
03-21-2015, 12:33 PM
The Beck song Novacane (https://youtu.be/S2whdGwK84Y) is pretty enjoyable (for me) until about the 3:20 mark, when suddenly a bunch of screechy distortion blurts out, deafening anyone unlucky enough to be listening with headphones on.Oh yes. Completely argee with you on this one.

Ditto for every other artist out there who thinks it's funny to put a bunch of screechy distorted nonsense as a hidden "song" after a long pause following last track on an album. Beck is at fault here yet again, as he pulled this nonsense on Mellow Gold and Stereopathetic Soulmanure, though his contemporaries were also particularly fond of it (Nirvana on Nevermind and the European release of In Utero).

eschereal
03-21-2015, 02:37 PM
Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download). Learn to use it. Stop complaining.

psychonaut
03-21-2015, 03:31 PM
Oh, I do edit out the noise tracks when I rip the CDs. I just wish I didn't have to.

Locrian
03-21-2015, 05:08 PM
In lieu of the lead singer's passing, I could never understand Toto's Roseanna.

I have a music degree, so I appreciate the mix of styles this song has, but why it was a hit I'll never understand. Simply because: You Can't Dance To This Song. The break in between the bridge and the Chorus of "Meet you all the way..." is basically when you pause the dance and get a drink. It's a big rubato drum break with the horn section, so just pause and wait.

Rest of the song has three different tempos and three different rhythms, so I hope you can fox trot, waltz, rhumba and conga. Maybe a little break dance spin or a balance on the head you can do for that awful drum break.

It's a well written song, requires talented musicians, singers, horn section, but it feels like it was four ideas for four songs thrown together.

pulykamell
03-21-2015, 05:28 PM
It's a big rubato drum break with the horn section, so just pause and wait.

I understand your criticism, but the break isn't all that rubato. You can just dance right through it 1-2-3-4, and meet up with the 3 & 4 at "Meet you."

BigT
03-22-2015, 01:04 AM

Repeat a thousand times.

The repetition is bad, I'll admit, but, musically, that's the best part of the song. Up until that point, it's just really basic. And then they go all Mixolydian and rock up the joint.

Lemmytheseal2
03-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Ok, I feel like I need to make up for missing the end of the OP with another contribution. I'm a big Smashing Pumpkins fan, and the first time I heard "Everlasting Gaze" off Machina I was liking it well enough until that a capella bridge about 2:45 into the song. It was at that point that the Ounpkins turned into self-parody for me, and that was the last album I bought by them.
I remember not liking that song at first, and thinking it sounded like Rob Zombie's work. I remember a classmate specifically citing that a capella bridge. It wasn't long before I came to love that album, and frankly I think it's a towering achievement. You should also give Monuments to an Elegy a try, though they are quite different.
Ben Folds has this beautiful, deep song called "Cologne (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxx5WvePCtY)" with rich instrumentation and even a choir. It's a really great breakup song.

Except in the middle of his beautiful lyrics are these fucking awful lyrics. An absolute SongShit:

"Says here an astronaut
put on a pair of diapers
and drove eighteen hours
to kill her boyfriend."

Goddammit, it really kills the mood!

True story, but yeah.

Now, I was thinking of "Roll the Bones", by Rush. The song would be ruined by the rap sections, but at least Geddy Lee's voice is electronically deepened, and that makes it less goofy, but even so, it's really jarring and awkward.

Lemmytheseal2
03-22-2015, 01:07 PM
In lieu of the lead singer's passing, I could never understand Toto's Roseanna.

I have a music degree, so I appreciate the mix of styles this song has, but why it was a hit I'll never understand. Simply because: You Can't Dance To This Song. The break in between the bridge and the Chorus of "Meet you all the way..." is basically when you pause the dance and get a drink. It's a big rubato drum break with the horn section, so just pause and wait.

Rest of the song has three different tempos and three different rhythms, so I hope you can fox trot, waltz, rhumba and conga. Maybe a little break dance spin or a balance on the head you can do for that awful drum break.

It's a well written song, requires talented musicians, singers, horn section, but it feels like it was four ideas for four songs thrown together.

Everybody who sang on "Rosanna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosanna_(song)#Personnel)" is still alive. Toto have had any number of singers.

Infovore
03-22-2015, 05:24 PM
I like the song "Still You Turn Me On" by ELP, but it contains what's arguably the worst rhyme in the history of bad rhymes, which makes me cringe every time they get to it:

Every day a little sadder
A little madder
Someone get me a ladder

Lemmytheseal2
03-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Oh, and regarding my love for The Smashing Pumpkins, I adore the song "Daphne Descends", from the album Adore, but I thought the ending of that song ("You love him... you love him...") was silly in 1998 and I feel the same way now.

ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness
03-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Nirvana Drain You - Great little power-pop tune that just stops dead where the guitar solo normally goes. It drones on for about a minute while sounding like they felt they needed to do a soundcheck, then starts up again to finish. Cut out that "instrumental" break and it's a great song.

Led Zeppelin Carouselambra I like 2 of the 3 sections of the song. Surprisingly, I actually like the disco synthesizer final third. For me it's the middle section that's a snooze.

My ex-girlfriend always tried to shut off Aerosmith's Eat the Rich before the power belch at the end.

erysichthon
03-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Jimmy Webb's "MacArthur Park" is a great song, except for the line about the "strip-ed pair of pants."

No, I don't have a problem with the "someone left the cake out in the rain" line; that at least makes sense as a metaphor. The pants line makes no sense whatsoever (and I've heard that Webb omits it when he performs the song).

eschereal
03-25-2015, 02:54 AM
From the first Alan Parsons album, in the song A Cask of Amontillado, when he sings that word, "amontillado", with the hard L sound, that just goes "clank" for me.

Catamount
03-25-2015, 05:25 AM
From the first Alan Parsons album, in the song A Cask of Amontillado, when he sings that word, "amontillado", with the hard L sound, that just goes "clank" for me.

That made me wince just to read it. Someone slept through Spanish class it seems.

pool
03-25-2015, 06:38 AM
In regards to Sweet Home Alabama:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_Alabama#Controversy

In 1975, Van Zant said: "The lyrics about the governor of Alabama were misunderstood. The general public didn't notice the words 'Boo! Boo! Boo!' after that particular line, and the media picked up only on the reference to the people loving the governor."[6] "The line 'We all did what we could do' is sort of ambiguous," Al Kooper notes. "'We tried to get Wallace out of there' is how I always thought of it."[6] However, neither explanation accounts for the barely audible "and the governor's true" toward the end of the song. Journalist Al Swenson argues that the song is more complex than it is sometimes given credit for, suggesting that it only looks like an endorsement of Wallace.[6] "Wallace and I have very little in common," Van Zant himself said, "I don't like what he says about colored people."[6]

Music historians examining the juxtaposition of invoking Nixon and Watergate after Wallace and Birmingham note that one reading of the lyrics is an "attack against the liberals who were so outraged at Nixon's conduct" while others interpret it regionally: "the band was speaking for the entire South, saying to northerners, we're not judging you as ordinary citizens for the failures of your leaders in Watergate; don't judge all of us as individuals for the racial problems of southern society".[

ftg
03-25-2015, 11:08 AM
I just want to state for the record that being repetitive is not always a bad thing. For example, The Chambers Brothers Time Has Come To Day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irsg0FxcVnQ) works. It builds, fades, changes, moves around. The song is going somewhere. (At least for the 4:30 version. The 11 minute version doesn't.)

WOOKINPANUB
03-25-2015, 11:14 AM
I just want to state for the record that being repetitive is not always a bad thing. For example, The Chambers Brothers Time Has Come To Day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irsg0FxcVnQ) works. It builds, fades, changes, moves around. The song is going somewhere. (At least for the 4:30 version. The 11 minute version doesn't.)

I just want to state for the record this song creeps me the hell out :eek:

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
03-25-2015, 11:39 AM

That grates on my ears too, but it is an accepted English pronunciation. If you Google the word it's the first pronunciation shown; in my old Webster's it's the only pronunciation given.

pulykamell
03-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Oh, and regarding my love for The Smashing Pumpkins, I adore the song "Daphne Descends", from the album Adore, but I thought the ending of that song ("You love him... you love him...") was silly in 1998 and I feel the same way now.

That one doesn't bug me, but the lyric on "Ava Adore": "It's you that I adore/you will always be my whore" always makes me cringe. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it just sounds so, I dunno, juvenile, forced or something. Most of Billy's lyrics are a bit on the overdramatic teenager side, but that one in particular grates on me enough that that's the only song on the album I regularly skip. (An otherwise perfect album.) I'll never turn around on Machina, though. There's a couple decent songs on there, but most of it sounds soulless and mechanical to me. "Paint-by-numbers Pumpkins" is my view of it--like they were trying formulaically to go back to their hard sound. I've listened to that album dozens of times, and it still just sounds hollow to me. Machina II is all right, though.

HelloKitty
03-25-2015, 01:59 PM
I love love love the song "Changes" by Yes, but for a long time I thought I hated it because I couldn't get past the intro...what is that, a xylophone?

I cope with it now, but I still always think of the rest of the song as "the good part".
Oh this is one of my favorites! I was the same about the intro until I realized....it's a musical metaphor for the theme of the song. If you listen closely, the music for the "rest of the song" is intertwined with the intro when it gets closer to that part. So intricate!! I'm sure there's a musical term for it that would help me describe it better.

Then I love how they reprise the intro at the end of the song. It rocks!!!

installLSC
06-06-2016, 09:26 PM
"Last Night a DJ Saved My Life" was one of the dance classics of the early 80s...
until the sound of a flushing toilet(!) comes in at 3:27. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgGiCKbud5I)

Guest-starring: Id!
06-07-2016, 01:39 AM
I avoid [Fool In The Rain] like a dose of The Clap due to the fucking Miami Sound Machine Conga Line middle section.

Actually I can roll with that thingy.

Agreed. And Kieth's twerpy synth ending at the end of "From The Beginning" I find all gucky-yuck-uck.
The old west saloon ditty at the end of IMHO one of ELP's more impressive numbers, "Bitches Crystal", while incongruous as all get-out, gets my pass.
And thank-you for introducing me to Audacity.

Yep, I will endure all of the protests of anyone in the room or car to listen to that guitar solo. The ring modulator tone is just crazy, and Page is in one of his best moments.

I believe Face Intentionally Left Blank was referring to the Knack.
Unless if Jimmy Page did some mysterious sessions with them.
(lol - sure, two and a half months late - better late than never?):o

To borrow from an earlier thread of mine:

"She's a Rainbow" - Rolling Stones......Nothing like a nice, bucolic tune about a wonderful girl that ends with horror movie soundtrack violins.

Rambling, almost Bartok-like piano at the end of Bowie's "Aladdin Sane" - even more spidery-like in the "David Live" version.

"Long, Long, Long" - Beatles - keyboards at the end go way up in the mix, with odd howling. Definitely not in keeping with what is a very quiet, moving tune.

Wasn't crazy about the cough in "Who Loves the Sun" by the Velvet Underground. Felt like they were trying to be all like "let's make sure this isn't radio friendly".

Never been a big fan of the song, and that piano break is a major reason - definitely a quintessential example of song-shittery.

The first four minutes of the following tune? - FUCK THAT. (But the rest of it - S.F.G......Sheer Fucking Godliness):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlDInWEczd8
(Actually the violin solo at 8:56 doesn't really do it for me.)

TonySinclair
06-07-2016, 03:16 AM
I really like Taxi, but that part in the middle, which I'm sure many people think is so cool, is really hard for me to get through.
To drive a princess blind
There's a wild man, wizard
He's hiding in me, illuminating my mind
Not what my life's about
'Cause I've been letting my outside tide me
Over 'til my time, runs out

Huh. That part's fine with me; it's the "Baby's so high that she's flyin'" part I don't like. Different voice, different tempo, takes you out of the story, what's it even doing there?

Strongly agree with those who don't like the last few seconds of "Big Yellow Taxi."

Strongly disagree with those who don't like the last half of "Layla."

Showing my age, there are lots of pop songs that are half good music by a singer and half rap by a "featured" guest artist, and the rap parts spoil them for me. "Suit and Tie" by Timberlake is an example.

And to reverse the theme, Max Bruch's Concerto in C has a ten-second crescendo that is one of my favorite passages of all time. The rest of the 25-minute piece is just filler to me.

scabpicker
06-07-2016, 04:30 AM
I believe Face Intentionally Left Blank was referring to the Knack.
Unless if Jimmy Page did some mysterious sessions with them.
(lol - sure, two and a half months late - better late than never?):o

Bwahahaah, in retrospect, you're absolutely right. I have no idea what I was thinking, other than I can say those things about the "Fool In the Rain" solo.

BwanaBob
06-07-2016, 06:33 AM
I like the song "Still You Turn Me On" by ELP, but it contains what's arguably the worst rhyme in the history of bad rhymes, which makes me cringe every time they get to it:

But he's singing from despair, he's in an emotional "hole" and wants to "climb out".

Jophiel
06-07-2016, 08:13 AM

To drive a princess blind[...]
I see this is an old post but yesterday I was reading another thread referencing folk revival and that got me reading the Wiki page and that mentioned Chapin and I thought "I haven't heard Taxi in forever. I barely remember it." So I pulled it up on Youtube and hit this middle part and thought "Holy shit, this is God awful".

Knowed Out
06-07-2016, 08:53 AM
"Love Will Find a Way" from Yes's album Big Generator

It was bad enough that Yes was reformed with new members and produced for top-40 appeal. I can excuse and ignore the typical love song tripe lyrics. But I cannot abide the last line of the first refrain:

Here is my heart
Waiting for you
Here is my soul
I eat at chez nous

I EAT AT CHEZ NOUS??? It means "I eat at our kitchen." Couldn't they at least have something not so non-sequitur, like "My feelings are true?" How deep. I already had to suffer their selling out by rationalizing that they're at least still putting out music, but that line just bugged the hell out of me. At least Jon Anderson got sick enough of it to spearhead Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe afterwards.

Marvin the Martian
06-07-2016, 09:08 AM
Well, not to pile on ELP but the acoustic guitar solo in the middle of "Take a Pebble" always drove me nuts - especially the hootin' and hollerin' and hand clapping at the end. Completely orthogonal to the rest of the song.

BubbaDog
06-07-2016, 09:10 AM
I can't believe this thread's been around for over a year and no one has mentioned the third grader synth interlude in the middle of Heart's - Magic Man.

Gatopescado
06-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Eddie, are you still writing "2015" on your checks? :D

burpo the wonder mutt
06-07-2016, 09:17 AM
At the end of Percy Sledge's "When a Man Loves a Woman," the trumpet comes in and IT'S OUT OF TUNE. Drills through my head like an earwig.

Star Trek (TOS): lovely theme song with BONGO DRUMS throughout. :mad:

Just Asking Questions
06-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Well, not to pile on ELP but the acoustic guitar solo in the middle of "Take a Pebble" always drove me nuts - especially the hootin' and hollerin' and hand clapping at the end. Completely orthogonal to the rest of the song.

I just heard that song for the first time in a long time, and I was thinking, you know, if you cut that silly middle part out, it would be a cool (but short) song.

Another one to make good use of Sound Studio/Audacity is GFR's I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home. That ending repeats longer than Hey Jude, and it's even less interesting. Sure, it is evocative of a poor guy on a life raft in the huge ocean, but it's not interesting!

In a reverse version, I wonder if one should remove the entire singing part from John Cougar sans Mellancamp's I Need A Lover and just leave that long intro. Treat it like an instrumental. :)

06-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Eddie, are you still writing "2015" on your checks? :D

InstallLSC might, considering he was the thread reviver.

I always thought the ending of "Got to Get You Into My Life" felt tacked on, especially as it quickly fades out. And "For No One"'s ending felt too abrupt.

Mixolydian
06-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Had thought about its own thread for this, but I think here is better...

(Some folks with complete disdain for this band need not comment)

I am far from a dyed-in-the-wool deadhead, but I do like a good number of Grateful Dead tunes. That being said, they have more than one song where the bridges are apparent afterthoughts, and not very good ones at that - mostly contrived chord changes and off-kilt time signature mods that don't jibe at all with the rest of the verses/choruses.

Cumberland Blues - "Make good money, five dollars a day...."
Dire Wolf - "I sat down to my supper, 'twas a bottle of red whisky..."
He's Gone - "Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange..."
High Time - "I was losing time..."
Let It Grow - "What shall we say, shall we call it by a name..."

BurnMeUp
06-07-2016, 01:19 PM

Repeat a thousand times.

Steven Wright had a joke about that "I will now play everything the Beatles ever wrote... I won't play all of Hey Jude"

gnoitall
06-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Repeat a thousand times.

Steven Wright had a joke about that "I will now play everything the Beatles ever wrote... I won't play all of Hey Jude"

For all of those struggling to identify which "nah nah" song is being spoken about, I'll just leave this here (http://xkcd.com/851/).

OTOH, that somehow lacks the "Hey Jude" branch, so I guess it's still under development? :confused:

ETA: found a slightly obscure updated version that fixes the noted deficiency. Et voila (http://xkcd.com/851_make_it_better/)!

jsc1953
06-07-2016, 02:23 PM
InstallLSC might, considering he was the thread reviver.

I always thought the ending of "Got to Get You Into My Life" felt tacked on, especially as it quickly fades out. And "For No One"'s ending felt too abrupt.

If we had a sub-thread of Great Songs with Terrible Endings, I would nominate CS&N "Long Time Gone". Where it could and should just stop, we get a few seconds of random organ noodling, following a silly little cymbal "ting". WTF was that?

The first record I ever bought was The Byrds' "Eight Miles High" and at the time, even with my adolescent untrained ear, I thought "this is a completely perfect wonderful song...except for that godawaful guitar solo. What were they thinking?"

kunilou
06-07-2016, 03:18 PM
I like Gordon Lightfoot, I like songs with a story, but let's face it, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald would have worked just as well if it were three minutes shorter. I could have done without verses 2,5 and 6.

Gatopescado
06-07-2016, 04:04 PM
The first record I ever bought was The Byrds' "Eight Miles High" and at the time, even with my adolescent untrained ear, I thought "this is a completely perfect wonderful song...except for that godawaful guitar solo. What were they thinking?"

A friend (who was not too music savvy) and I were hanging around one day, and Eight Miles High came on the radio, and after the aforementioned solo, he chimes in with, "They put that part in there just to piss off your parents".

:D

gnoitall
06-07-2016, 04:07 PM
I like Gordon Lightfoot, I like songs with a story, but let's face it, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald would have worked just as well if it were three minutes shorter. I could have done without verses 2,5 and 6.
The extra verses help convey the heavy and interminable terror the crew of the doomed ship felt. Very atmospheric. :D

ETA: The clues are right in the lyrics! Does any one know where the love of God goes
When the [song] turn[s] the minutes to hours?

Catamount
06-07-2016, 05:00 PM
According to Dave Barry, some of the Beatles are still singing the "na na na" part.

buddha_david
06-07-2016, 05:18 PM
That dreadful sax solo in "The One Thing" by INXS.

"When the Music's Over" would be my favorite song by The Doors, if not for Robby Krieger's horrible feedback-laden guitar solo plopped right in the middle like a great big steaming elephant turd. Seriously Robby, what drugs were you on??

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
06-07-2016, 05:21 PM
If The first record I ever bought was The Byrds' "Eight Miles High" and at the time, even with my adolescent untrained ear, I thought "this is a completely perfect wonderful song...except for that godawaful guitar solo. What were they thinking?"

They were thinking they were copying John Coltrane. Seriously.

buddha_david
06-07-2016, 05:24 PM
Here's an obscure one: the epic piano solo in X-Japan's "Art of Life", which begins at the 15-minute mark (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vVRK0yTt0Y&t=899) (the full song is 29 minutes long.) Starts off nice and sweet, but then descends into...eh, no words can describe. On the other hand, it's one of those rare moments that goes from awesome to terrible all the way back around to awesome again. :)

jsc1953
06-07-2016, 05:33 PM
They were thinking they were copying John Coltrane. Seriously.

That's as good an explanation as any. The alternative is "because they were high", which was probably true, too.

kunilou
06-07-2016, 07:20 PM
The extra verses help convey the heavy and interminable terror the crew of the doomed ship felt. Very atmospheric. :D

ETA: The clues are right in the lyrics!

I'll agree with "interminable."

Exapno Mapcase
06-07-2016, 07:30 PM
The Church's "Under the Milky Way" is a wonderful, beautiful song - except for the bagpipe solo in the middle. Were they miking something in the next studio and just left it in?

Gatopescado
06-08-2016, 12:31 AM
The Church's "Under the Milky Way" is a wonderful, beautiful song - except for the bagpipe solo in the middle. Were they miking something in the next studio and just left it in?

Best sound from a Bagpipe? Landing on the bottom of an empty dumpster!

The Next Best?

Hitting a banjo on the way down!

Leaffan
06-08-2016, 05:32 AM
Yeah, well except it's not really bagpipes.

Budget Player Cadet
06-08-2016, 05:37 AM
Firth of Fifth. Around 6 minutes in, you realize that they are dragging out the interlude way too long, and you've still got a few minutes to go. Just awful. There's a lot of solid material there, but not ten minutes worth of solid material.

SlackerInc
06-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Wow. I consider the rest of the song a life-support system for the guitar solo. It's not bad, but the song would have never done as well as it did without that roller-coaster of a solo. One of the great rock guitar solos of all time. Yeah, it was lengthy and perhaps indulgent, but it was also awesome.

I had never noticed this guitar solo before, strangely enough. In my mind that song was a snappy, crisp little New Wave number. I would have bet money against there being such a solo! (Is there a radio edit without it?) But now that I listen, I have to agree with the OP's wife, sorry. Although I guess it never bothered me before...

"that inane synth crap" is the best part of the song. YMMV, and indeed does.

I'm with you. It's just kind of an unmemorable and repetitive ballad without it.

I'm skeptical of this, but whatever the actual truth in their motivations, I don't think the vast, vast majority of people (on both sides) who have ever listened to this song see it that way.

Strongly disagree with those who don't like the last half of "Layla."

Thank god I'm not the only one! This whole thread is actually kind of stressful to read, because in nearly every case, I'm either unaware of the song, indifferent to the portion in question, or, like with "Layla", I strongly disagree with the dislike for that portion. To wit:

I always thought the perfect example of this was Meat Loaf's "Paradise By the Dashboard Light". Most of the song is a classic rocker, but then the fun comes to a screeching halt for over a minute so that we can hear the eternally annoying (RIP) Phil Rizzuto doing a play-by-play of sexual baseball metaphors.

B-b-but that part makes the song! :eek:

That dreadful sax solo in "The One Thing" by INXS.

Is not dreadful, is awesome, like that entire song. :p

The Church's "Under the Milky Way" is a wonderful, beautiful song - except for the bagpipe solo in the middle.

That's the highlight of a, yes, wonderful, beautiful song!

Tom Petty has a fine song in American Girl. But why oh why did he feel the need to include a "disco interlude" in the middle.

Disco? :rolleyes: Great song, including that part, which doesn't sound like any disco tune I've ever heard.

Blondie - Rapture

Nope, that part is awesome too. "And he shoots you dead, and he eats your head/And then you're in the man from Mars." So funny! :D

Marvin the Martian
06-08-2016, 09:55 AM
Well, not to pile on ELP but the acoustic guitar solo in the middle of "Take a Pebble" always drove me nuts - especially the hootin' and hollerin' and hand clapping at the end. Completely orthogonal to the rest of the song.I just heard that song for the first time in a long time, and I was thinking, you know, if you cut that silly middle part out, it would be a cool (but short) song.Well, I'd only cut out the guitar section, still leaving the song almost 10 minutes long. I love the piano variations/improvisation parts.

An example of a long song which would become a short song is "Moonchild" by King Crimson - a nice little song until about 2:40, then almost ten minutes of random (and uninteresting) noodling.

Exapno Mapcase
06-08-2016, 10:08 AM
That's the highlight of a, yes, wonderful, beautiful song!

I was going through your post, nodding in agreement, wondering why those idiots were disparaging so many great songs ...

... and then this.

We can never be friends.

SlackerInc
06-08-2016, 10:09 AM
I just realized I forgot to include my own nominee. What readily comes to mind is pretty much any song by the Sugarcubes ("Deus" for example). The Bjork parts are, for my money, better than any of her solo stuff. But then that goofball guy comes in and starts talking nonsense for a while until we get to hear her sing again.

BwanaBob
06-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Well, I'd only cut out the guitar section, still leaving the song almost 10 minutes long. I love the piano variations/improvisation parts.

An example of a long song which would become a short song is "Moonchild" by King Crimson - a nice little song until about 2:40, then almost ten minutes of random (and uninteresting) noodling.

Fripp himself approved of a newer and much shorter version of Moonchild on one of the latest remix/remasters of In the Court of the Crimson King album.

SlackerInc
06-08-2016, 11:47 AM
I was going through your post, nodding in agreement, wondering why those idiots were disparaging so many great songs ...

... and then this.

We can never be friends.

LOL...maybe everyone else I quoted is thinking the same thing but excepting their own contribution. (Just please don't tell me you like the dude singer in the Sugarcubes.)

scabpicker
06-08-2016, 12:20 PM
LOL...maybe everyone else I quoted is thinking the same thing but excepting their own contribution. (Just please don't tell me you like the dude singer in the Sugarcubes.)

Ummm, I do say nicely.

Ají de Gallina
06-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Mine is "Seven Seas of Rhye" by Queen.
It has a middle part where the music dies and then is followed by a high-falsetto part that breaks the rythm. Also they ends kinda sucks.

buddha_david
06-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Is not dreadful, is awesome, like that entire song. :p
It's amazing how many entries in this thread make me think: "But... but... that's my favorite part!" :)

Princhester
06-08-2016, 10:50 PM
For reasons entirely due to the alphabet, and not personal taste, if nothing else is specifically chosen and I turn on the car MP3 player it plays Chiquitita by ABBA. The beginning is fantastic, the melody is as good as Benny and Bjorn ever came up with, the harmonies and voices magical. Then it gets to the chorus and suddenly gets wrecked by an obnoxious DUM dom, DUM, dom, DUM dom bassline that sounds like, I dunno, a German brass band tuba part. It's Ogawful.

SlackerInc
06-09-2016, 02:53 AM
It's amazing how many entries in this thread make me think: "But... but... that's my favorite part!" :)

I know, right?

DWMarch
06-09-2016, 05:29 AM
I don't know which Zeppelin song it is but it must be popular because it's on the radio all the time. "Whole Lotta Love" I think. Towards the end of the song Robert Plant starts masturbating, loudly. It made me think this was the exact reason why parents thought rock and roll was garbage.

SlackerInc
06-09-2016, 05:30 AM
Is that the one where he talks about squeezing his lemon until the juice runs down his leg? :)

scabpicker
06-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Nah, that song's metaphorically describing getting a handjob, not an auditory depiction of masturbation. Even though, whoah, that's one vociferous bout of masturbation, my crude understanding of human psychology leads me to believe that DWMmarch has memorized the song title so they can know what song makes them feel "wrong" - which is integral to understanding what Rock 'n Roll is all about. :)

ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness
06-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Since this has been bumped, I can add one from a few months ago.

Twenty One Pilots Tear in my Heart - Great song, except for the dorky middle section complaining about potholes.

drad dog
06-09-2016, 12:25 PM
I always thought the chorus of Layla was great but the verses were a drag. And I always thought that Hold Your Head Up by Argent had a great verse but let down on the chorus. But when I imagine combining the best parts of both it doesn't work. Something about the dynamics.

Gatopescado
06-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Twenty One Pilots Tear in my Heart - Great song, except for the dorky middle section complaining about potholes.

So bad, they do it at least twice!

God, I hate that song.

And you don't use cement to fill potholes, you dumbfucks!

EinsteinsHund
06-09-2016, 02:35 PM
One of my favorite songs is the Pretenders' Middle Of The Road (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_nrAyo0tLI). It's got a great guitar sound, very clever lyrics, got Chrissie howling and purring, a nice guitar break, it's the perfect rock song, except for one thing: the interlude between the guitar break and the third verse in which Chrissie only counts. It's obviously a placeholder for some unfinished lyrics or a more refined instrumental part, but for a time the song loses all tension and energy. When the third verse sets in, it's all good again, but that part is a taint in an otherwise perfect song.

DWMarch
06-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Even though, whoah, that's one vociferous bout of masturbation, my crude understanding of human psychology leads me to believe that DWMmarch has memorized the song title so they can know what song makes them feel "wrong" - which is integral to understanding what Rock 'n Roll is all about. :)

I'm not sure I follow. Nothing wrong with masturbation or rock and roll, I'm just not a fan of combining the two and broadcasting it daily. There's a similar bit in Guns 'N Roses "Rocket Queen" although in this case actual sex. It probably prevented that song from being a hit. It's a great tune but those orgasms in the middle make it radio unfriendly. But in the case of Zep, those moans are on the radio every single day. Imagine if you had a neighbor that did that. Every day. Like clockwork. That's what's wrong with it.

All this talk of self-indulgent masturbation reminds me of Frank Zappa, whose talent is obvious and whom I wish I liked more. "Joe's Garage" is a great song except for when we get to the bit where we hear what it sounded like back then. Zappa is saying "look, I intentionally put shit in my song!" Yes, we noticed, thank you. "My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama" would be great except for the section where there are a few different solos starting with what sounds like someone blowing into a recorder with an air compressor. "Titties and Beer" starts out as a great conflict between Zappa and the Devil but goes right off the rails after "gimme that paper, bet your ass I will sign." Although I do love the line about how the devil has had "Milhous Nixon and Agnew too. And both of those suckas was worse than you!"

06-09-2016, 08:31 PM
I have to throw down the ole camelclutch on a pair of utterly dorky-ass segues thanks to those progbastards Yes.

One of my favourite numbers, "Siberian Khatru", is about 98.724 perfection, but then this putrescent scat thingie at 3:02 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HnIr6jYWU puts egg all over Jon's face. (Totally relate to Chris - r.i.p - apparently getting in fights with Jon a lot about the fucking airy-fairy vacuousness of the latter's lyrics).

side note - the band usually recorded their long-ass songs in parts, and quite seamlessly, and so examples like the one above were thankfully very few and far between.

The other one, which might actually be my numero uno tuno by themo - if Rick tried playing this 70's game-show zinger in my presence, I'd order him to hit the mat and give me 30.....fast, with straight back, elbows in. At 6:33 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHl6sDLX8tQ
Rick - the "price" actually turned out to be very dead fucking "wrong".

drad dog
06-09-2016, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry but "3:02 in Siberian Khatru" ????????????????

Silly human race

06-09-2016, 09:21 PM
drad dog - Hilarious! I actually forgot to mention in my previous post that I thought the chorus in "Hold Your Head Up" was perfectly fine and dandy.
You scatter, you! :p

Accidental Martyr
06-09-2016, 09:40 PM
"Kool Thing" by Sonic Youth. It's not my favorite song from Goo but I've always liked it except for Chuck D's vocal. I'm not sure why he's even there. He shows up and just talks for a bit. "Yeah...yeah....word up......yeah." That part just sounds so out of place. Kim Gordon doesn't need any help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTSUwIZdMk

06-09-2016, 11:33 PM
The guitar strumming at the beginning of "Black Dog" can go, and the same with the bothersome telephone ringing at the end Bowie's "Life on Mars".

Truman Burbank
06-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Probably a lot of people will disagree, but the first thing that occurred to me was Aerosmith's "Dream On", when Tyler decides to run an experiment we'll generously call "how high can I screech?". Great song expect for that.

scabpicker
06-10-2016, 05:18 AM
I'm not sure I follow. Nothing wrong with masturbation or rock and roll, I'm just not a fan of combining the two and broadcasting it daily.

I'm not saying it's wrong or anything, I'm really just teasing. I don't have any particular problem with the middle of "Whole Lotta Love". But yeah, I could have heard it a few less times on the radio and not gone wanting for more.

Wakinyan
06-10-2016, 05:24 AM
Whole Lotta Love would without doubt be one of the most mean, cool, and funny rock song ever if it wasn't for that part.

SlackerInc
06-10-2016, 09:14 AM
"Kool Thing" by Sonic Youth. It's not my favorite song from Goo but I've always liked it except for Chuck D's vocal. I'm not sure why he's even there. He shows up and just talks for a bit. "Yeah...yeah....word up......yeah." That part just sounds so out of place. Kim Gordon doesn't need any help.

I've always been of two minds about that. On the one hand, I do think it sounds cool, very fitting with the song. OTOH, I have also had a certain nervousness that there might be something vaguely racist about what they are doing there. :o

Accidental Martyr
06-10-2016, 01:14 PM

I've always been of two minds about that. On the one hand, I do think it sounds cool, very fitting with the song. OTOH, I have also had a certain nervousness that there might be something vaguely racist about what they are doing there. :o

It just always sounded out of place to me. What do you think is possibly racist?

drad dog
06-10-2016, 01:46 PM
This thread symbolizes everything that is negative about youtube and downloading music.

I used to come around to love things in songs because I loved the song and was carried away by it. It was a reminder of the song, even when it wasn't being the "best part" of itself.

Whenever I hear the opening of Black Dog, or, for instance, the crickets(?) and ambience in Close to the Edge I am already in the song. I could never take exception to these choices of the artist.

scabpicker
06-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Yeah, sure. It's caused by people downloading music.

Oh wait, no...it's not. People genuinely don't like the things they don't like, and have since the dawn of people.

Gatopescado
06-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Audioslave- Show Me How To Live

Great song, nearly ruined with that "whatever" during the last dying seconds. What the hell is that? Auto-tune or something?

Exapno Mapcase
06-13-2016, 09:38 AM
This thread symbolizes everything that is negative about youtube and downloading music.

Kids today and their weird theories.

ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness
06-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Reminded of another one this morning on the radio.

Gorillaz Feel Good Inc. - The laughing. The god-awful laughing. I hope the reason the song didn't win the Record of the Year Grammy was that obnoxious laughing. I'm inspired by this thread to download Audacity just to strip out the fucking laughing. Did I mention I really really hate the laughing?

Asimovian
06-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Reminded of another one this morning on the radio.

Gorillaz Feel Good Inc. - The laughing. The god-awful laughing. I hope the reason the song didn't win the Record of the Year Grammy was that obnoxious laughing. I'm inspired by this thread to download Audacity just to strip out the fucking laughing. Did I mention I really really hate the laughing?Huh. I actually think the laughter sets the tenor for the song. To each his own, I suppose!

drachillix
06-13-2016, 05:09 PM
I kinda dig the sound of the chorus sections of Demi Lovatos "Cool for the Summer" the rest of it...meh.

SlackerInc
06-14-2016, 02:42 AM
It just always sounded out of place to me. What do you think is possibly racist?

Well, it's making fun of LL Cool J (whom Kim Gordon had interviewed) for being a dumbass, basically. And even if you don't know that, it definitely comes across as holding up a kind of stereotypical black male empty-headed machismo for ridicule. Seems like maybe you should be a black woman before you touch that one with a ten foot pole?

tullsterx
06-14-2016, 03:39 PM

What, that's not right. Sweet Home Alabama's message is that "not everybody in the south is racist."

In Birmingham they love the Governor (Oooo, Oooo, Oooo) (Democrat George Wallace)
But, we all did what we could do (We didn't support his actions)
Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you? (A retort to Republican's that branded Alabama a racist state due to George Wallace's actions.)

It's not well written but the main message is that not all "Southern Men" are racist. . . and we love Alabama.

Next, we can discuss "Brown Sugar."

Accidental Martyr
06-14-2016, 05:06 PM
What, that's not right. Sweet Home Alabama's message is that "not everybody in the south is racist."

In Birmingham they love the Governor (Oooo, Oooo, Oooo) (Democrat George Wallace)
Watergate does not bother me
Does your conscience bother you? (A retort to Republican's that branded Alabama a racist state due to George Wallace's actions.)

It's not well written but the main message is that not all "Southern Men" are racist. . . and we love Alabama.

15 things we have to explain about the song 'Sweet Home Alabama'
http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/04/15_things_we_have_to_explain_a.html

When the song was released, the governor of Alabama was George Wallace, best known for his "stand in the schoolhouse door" to oppose integration. The line "In Birmingham they love the governor," along with negative remarks about Neil Young, led many people to believe band members were racist. However, most people overlook the words that follow: "Boo! Boo! Boo!" and the line, "We all did what we could do." Some people believe that is a reference to those who tried to vote Wallace out of office. Funnily enough, songfacts.com reports Wallace loved the song and made band members honorary lieutenant colonels in the state militia.

Exapno Mapcase
06-14-2016, 05:40 PM

Whenever I hear that song I always wonder what they actually did.

SlackerInc
06-14-2016, 07:51 PM
Right, including what they did in response to Wallace making them honorary militiamen.

I suspect there is revisionist history at work here.

WOOKINPANUB
06-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Duffy's song Mercy is a rockin' little number and she really sells it until she gets to the line ". . . I need a man who can take my hand " and then she screeches in a really lame attempt at sounding soulful "YES I DOOOO!". There's something so . . .unhip about it, like a drunk PTA lady or something.

AHunter3
06-15-2016, 09:35 AM
Aerosmith's "Back in the Saddle" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX8GG3dnsp8). Great couple of intro bars, and a decently good rocker overall but it never recovers from that annoying horse-whinny + "I'm BAAAA--AACK!", just ruins the song before it gets going.

installLSC
10-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Hand Me Down World, the Guess Who (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt6zQK6_WWw). Great playing with solid lyrics about the environment except for the egregious clunker 1:50 in
Anybody here see the fuzzy-wuzzy loving cup explosion
???

OffByOne
10-18-2016, 08:05 PM

The REAL worst part of that song is right after the opening riff, when guy says what I always purposely mishear as "Turn it off!" So I do.

astorian
10-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" is such a nice song... and then he completely destroys it with the last verse, in which he gets drunk at a party and has to be tucked into bed.

The sentimentality of the first two verses is utterly lost.

SaharaTea
10-19-2016, 03:46 PM
I love "He Lays in the Reins" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MePq4yH-dnc) by Calexico and Iron and Wine. But the moment the opera singing starts, it's ruined for me.

Gatopescado
10-21-2016, 07:51 AM
The REAL worst part of that song is right after the opening riff, when guy says what I always purposely mishear as "Turn it off!" So I do.

I'm always compelled to turn it louder, which is often difficult, since I'm usually at max volume to start with.

Leaffan
10-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" is such a nice song... and then he completely destroys it with the last verse, in which he gets drunk at a party and has to be tucked into bed.

The sentimentality of the first two verses is utterly lost.
Ha ha ha! Exactly! :D

Sent from my adequate mobile device using Tapatalk.

WordMan
10-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Oh - I thought of one!

Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n12OBlcHx9E

Totally fun hippie/poppy love letter of a song with wonderful main riff, and fun lead guitar work by Robert Quine. But after this fun little seduction song, how does he end it? "And I'm never gonna set you free, no no, I'm never gonna set you free."

Fucking creepshow territory. I consciously unhear (thanks Gwyneth) that part and don't include it when I play it.

Soylent Juicy
10-21-2016, 10:28 AM
"Last Night a DJ Saved My Life" was one of the dance classics of the early 80s...
until the sound of a flushing toilet(!) comes in at 3:27. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgGiCKbud5I)

HAAH it's true.

I really enjoy Estelle's "American Boy" until Kanye raps.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.