PDA

View Full Version : Question about The Grand Budapest Hotel (possible mild spoiler)

Mean Mr. Mustard
03-21-2015, 09:02 PM
In reading a review of this film, it mentioned that the downhill chase scene ended in a "laugh out loud" punchline.

I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Little help?

thanks,

mmm

JKilez
03-21-2015, 10:54 PM
Possible punchline one: At the finish of bobsled track, Jopling easily moves to the side while Gustave and Zero fly off the end, in a cartoonish manner.

Possible punchline two: As Jopling moves to the edge to locate Gustave, he passes by Zero, who is upside down in the snow with only his feet showing, in a cartoonish manner.

Possible punchline three: As Jopling is about to break off the ice that Gustave is grasping at the precipice, Zero shoves him off the cliff, in a cartoonish manner.

Hellestal
03-22-2015, 12:20 AM
Possible punchline three: As Jopling is about to break off the ice that Gustave is grasping at the precipice, Zero shoves him off the cliff, in a cartoonish manner.That's the right moment but that's not the punchline.

M. Gustav is barely hanging to the edge of the cliff, with the villainous Jopling stomping on the edge to dislodge him so that he will plummet to his death. And Gustave realizes the hopelessness of his situation, and we the audience see him make peace with his impending fate. He recites a poem in a tired, saddened, yet dignified and even uplifting tone, as he faces his final moments. He prepares for noble death.
‘If this do be me end: farewell!’ cried
the wounded piper-boy, whilst the muskets
cracked and the yeomen roared, ‘Hurrah!’
and the ramparts fell. ‘Methinks me
breathes me last, me fears!’ said he --

HOLY SHIT, YOU GOT HIM!That last is when Zero catches Jopling by surprise from behind and pushes him over.

Damn great moment. I laugh out loud every single time I see Gustave's face light up in ecstatic surprise as Jopling is hurled into the abyss.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.