PDA

View Full Version : Question about The Artist Formerly Known As Prince

The Other Waldo Pepper
03-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Back when Prince started going by an unpronounceable symbol, who was the first person to refer to him as The Artist Formerly Known As Prince?

hajario
03-22-2015, 03:28 PM
I think that it was Prince.

WordMan
03-22-2015, 04:35 PM
I think that it was Prince.

I am pretty sure that is correct. He announced he was changing his name and wanted to be referred to as that, which folks immediately shortened to TAFKAP and The Glyph.

Since it was an obvious attempt to piss off Warner Bros and get out of his contract, it was amusiing to watch folks scratch their heads. And since Prince is crazy the way physicist Richard Feynman was crazy - i.e., a genius and if we don't get him, it's our problem - folks were willing to roll with it.

PastTense
03-22-2015, 05:51 PM
This is very rude usage: if someone changes their name you should either refer to them by their new name or not refer to them at all--rather than some garbage like "the person former known as X". If someone doesn't have the ability to do the first the obvious alternative is to do the second.

thelurkinghorror
03-22-2015, 06:13 PM
This is very rude usage: if someone changes their name you should either refer to them by their new name or not refer to them at all--rather than some garbage like "the person former known as X". If someone doesn't have the ability to do the first the obvious alternative is to do the second.
Nice user/post combo.

Maserschmidt
03-22-2015, 06:23 PM
Here's a partial timeline, though it's not definitive as to who first came up with it.

http://www.ew.com/article/1999/06/04/artist-formerly-known-prince

running coach
03-22-2015, 06:32 PM

The pretentious little freak was asking for it. :D

Nom_de_Plume
03-23-2015, 08:27 AM
I remember my friends and I just calling him Squiggle.

SykoSkotty
03-23-2015, 09:03 AM
His Mama name him Prince, I'ma call him Prince.

kunilou
03-23-2015, 10:31 AM

As running coach points out, he actually was asking for it. (http://www.ew.com/article/1999/06/04/artist-formerly-known-prince)

As he told an interviewer in 1995, I get by. I dont need a name as such, really.

Finally leading to
Eventually, spokespeople for the singer relented and condoned the use of a slightly more wieldy title: the Artist Formerly Known as Prince.

gaffa
03-23-2015, 10:41 AM
I remember my friends and I just calling him Squiggle.
We called him "Dingbat", which had the added advantage of being accurate.

Miller
03-23-2015, 12:45 PM
If you watch the credits for Fargo, one of the motorists Peter Stormare murders after he kills the cop uses Prince's logo instead of his name.

Pashnish Ewing
03-23-2015, 01:21 PM
His Mama name him Prince, I'ma call him Prince.:D

billfish678
03-23-2015, 01:26 PM
One has to wonder what his royalty checks look like.

joebuck20
03-23-2015, 02:24 PM
I seem to recall reading an article at the time that said Ticketmaster started using the "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" because they couldn't print the symbol on his concert tickets.

hajario
03-23-2015, 02:37 PM
I seem to recall reading an article at the time that said Ticketmaster started using the "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" because they couldn't print the symbol on his concert tickets.

That makes no sense at all. Do you honestly think that 1993 technology was so rudimentary that they couldn't print a symbol on a concert ticket? Totally ridiculous.

Diceman
03-23-2015, 02:53 PM
That makes no sense at all. Do you honestly think that 1993 technology was so rudimentary that they couldn't print a symbol on a concert ticket? Totally ridiculous.
If they're like any other business, these tickets were probably being printed out on some old HP printer that was built early in the Reagan administation.

So, yeah, not being able to print the symbol was likely a bit of a problem :)

running coach
03-23-2015, 03:04 PM
If they're like any other business, these tickets were probably being printed out on some old HP printer that was built early in the Reagan administation.

So no one can buy tickets to his concerts. I don't see the problem. :D

hajario
03-23-2015, 03:13 PM

I know that you're making a joke but I have been to many hundreds of concerts over the last three decades and I have plenty of pre-1993 Ticketmaster stubs have symbols on them.

control-z
03-23-2015, 03:18 PM
I know that you're making a joke but I have been to many hundreds of concerts over the last three decades and I have plenty of pre-1993 Ticketmaster stubs have symbols on them.

It would have been a problem all through their system though. An artist not having an alphanumeric name would cause a whole host of problems.

running coach
03-23-2015, 03:36 PM

But were those standard symbols that were in use or a one-off custom symbol that had never been seen before?

Hail Ants
03-23-2015, 05:24 PM
I don't know if it was before using "The artist formerly know as..." moniker but soon after he changed it when MTV News did a story referring to him they would flash the symbol on the screen and play a short audio cue of a loud clanking metallic sound.

Miller
03-23-2015, 05:58 PM
More of a windchime effect, as I recall.

cmkeller
03-23-2015, 06:05 PM
Obligatory Simpsons Reference: It was 1984. The Artist Formerly Known as Prince was currently known as Prince.

John Bredin
03-23-2015, 06:10 PM
In the Eminem song "Without Me", the lyric "ever since Prince turned himself into a symbol" is followed by a metallic ringing that reminds me of a sword being drawn. :eek::p

TBG
03-23-2015, 09:43 PM

Here's a randomly picked ticket from google imaging ticketmaster ticket

http://www.jamesrobertwatson.com/images/ticketexist.jpg

looks more or less like every ticket I've ever gotten via ticketmaster. Also looks incredibly basic and as if, indeed, there would be no way to get bizarre symbols not in the ascii character set on it.

Also, it's from 2007.

So there is something totally ridiculous here, but it's what you think they could have done in 1993.

Kiyoshi
03-23-2015, 10:45 PM
I remember that at the time, the BBC called him "Symbol"

AppallingGael
03-23-2015, 11:02 PM
The new name provided for the nice anagram "no first-rate workmanship recently", found by the Anagram Genius guy.

Disgruntled Penguin
03-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Here's a randomly picked ticket from google imaging ticketmaster ticket

http://www.jamesrobertwatson.com/images/ticketexist.jpg

looks more or less like every ticket I've ever gotten via ticketmaster. Also looks incredibly basic and as if, indeed, there would be no way to get bizarre symbols not in the ascii character set on it.

Also, it's from 2007.

So there is something totally ridiculous here, but it's what you think they could have done in 1993.

They got better apparently (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oDCv5Dsn_x4/SXBJnK0asfI/AAAAAAAAAA8/E3dOdcurGDo/s1600/PRINCE+ticket.jpg).

Colibri
03-23-2015, 11:13 PM
I always suspected that he stole the symbol from Dr. Seuss's additional letters (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d2/Seuss_Letters.GIF/375px-Seuss_Letters.GIF)from On Beyond Zebra.

scabpicker
03-23-2015, 11:58 PM
They got better apparently (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oDCv5Dsn_x4/SXBJnK0asfI/AAAAAAAAAA8/E3dOdcurGDo/s1600/PRINCE+ticket.jpg).

Nitpick: That's not a Ticketmaster ticket.

I used to work for Ticketmaster, around the time mentioned. Their ticket printers were old dot-matrix printers, designed in the interest of speed and reliability instead of beauty. I'd imagine you could load a custom font on them, but I doubt Ticketmaster would do it for anyone.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.