PDA

View Full Version : How did Bo and Luke Duke make a living?

Robert163
03-22-2015, 06:25 PM
How did Bo and Luke Duke make a living? Uncle Jesse had a Social Security check. Daisy worked at the Boar's Nest. Cooter ran a garage. What did Bo and Luke do? Did they run moonshine? They were never shown transporting moonshine. This brings to mind a question. If they were running moonshine, were Boss Hogg and Roscoe justified in their less than reputable attempts to put the Duke boys in jail?

Alessan
03-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Meth.

BobLibDem
03-22-2015, 06:31 PM
They sold pictures of Daisy in the shower.

TCMF-2L
03-22-2015, 06:38 PM
In the TV show the boys couldn't carry guns because they were on probation for carrying moonshine. (They used a bow and arrows instead.) So they at least had previous in that regard.

Otherwise the them tune revealed:

"Makin' their way the only way they know how / That's just a little bit more than the law will allow"

adding

"Fightin' the system like a true-modern day Robin Hood."

TCMF-2L

Peremensoe
03-22-2015, 07:08 PM
What did Bo and Luke do? Did they run moonshine? They were never shown transporting moonshine.

Yes. It's just understood. (It's the only way they know how.)

Also, they (later) raced competitively.

If they were running moonshine, were Boss Hogg and Roscoe justified in their less than reputable attempts to put the Duke boys in jail?

No.

The Second Stone
03-22-2015, 07:08 PM
They were booze runners. I was also under the impression that Boss Hogg was in the business of the same, and the reason he disliked them was that they were usually competitors and would not work exclusively for Boss Hogg.

HeXen
03-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Damn shiner's. Roscoe should've just threw away the key.
I thought that episode where Daisy fell in love with the guy they thought was their cousin was pretty funny.

Robert163
03-22-2015, 07:12 PM
They were booze runners. I was also under the impression that Boss Hogg was in the business of the same, and the reason he disliked them was that they were usually competitors and would not work exclusively for Boss Hogg.

Ahhh.... well that explains alot!!

hajario
03-22-2015, 07:16 PM
In the TV show the boys couldn't carry guns because they were on probation for carrying moonshine. (They used a bow and arrows instead.) So they at least had previous in that regard.

Otherwise the them tune revealed:

"Makin' their way the only way they know how / That's just a little bit more than the law will allow"

adding

"Fightin' the system like a true-modern day Robin Hood."

Yes and their trouble with The Law apparently goes way back.

aceplace57
03-22-2015, 10:21 PM
IIRC didn't they race stock cars? I seem to recall some episodes with them on race tracks. But its been over 20 years since I watched the show. I don't recall for sure.

Moonshiners were some of the earliest NASCAR racers. They had souped up cars for their night runs anyway. Racing was a natural off shoot.
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2012/11/01/moonshine-mystique.html

Robert163
03-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Yes and their trouble with The Law apparently goes way back.

Yes, in fact, since the day they were born

Robert163
03-22-2015, 10:31 PM
IIRC didn't they race stock cars? I seem to recall some episodes with them on race tracks. But its been over 20 years since I watched the show. I don't recall for sure.

Moonshiners were some of the earliest NASCAR racers. They had souped up cars for their night runs anyway. Racing was a natural off shoot.
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2012/11/01/moonshine-mystique.html

Yes, that was a strong element of the show. The General Lee afterall was a racing car.

Happy Lendervedder
03-22-2015, 10:53 PM
Weren't they also basically dirt farmers? There were always chickens running around, so they probably made some money off of that.

Robert163
03-22-2015, 10:58 PM
Weren't they also basically dirt farmers? There were always chickens running around, so they probably made some money off of that.

I think I may of also seen a goat in one episode

Princhester
03-22-2015, 10:59 PM

Wouldn't their customers get all wet?

Sitnam
03-22-2015, 11:03 PM
With the plethora of road construction on nothing but gravel roads and bank robberies in Hazard, I guess Boss Hogg makes his money in construction kickbacks and the Duke Boys get a taste of the bank theft after apprehension.

Fubaya
03-22-2015, 11:13 PM

I saw an alien in one episode, but they didn't make any money off it.

Smeghead
03-23-2015, 05:54 AM
I saw an alien in one episode, but they didn't make any money off it.

Not much of a market for alien milk in Georgia.

billfish678
03-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Rent boys for Southern Gentlemen of a certain inclination. It wasn't that far a drive to Atlanta.

Ethilrist
03-23-2015, 08:41 AM

C'mon, they sold pictures of Daisy washing the General Lee.

Revtim
03-23-2015, 08:47 AM
They ever say what happened to their parents?

Honey
03-23-2015, 09:15 AM
The show's creator said their parents were killed in a car crash, but it was never discussed on the show.

I guess that means Daisy's parents were in the same car with Bo and Luke's parents. :confused:

Slow Moving Vehicle
03-23-2015, 10:05 AM

Uncle Jesse had a mule, which implies farming.

The goat was strictly for recreational purposes.

billfish678
03-23-2015, 10:10 AM
But the goat was on loan from Hal Briston.

lieu
03-23-2015, 10:26 AM
The show's creator said their parents were killed in a car crash, but it was never discussed on the show.Hopefully not hit by a speeding '69 Charger.

JSexton
03-23-2015, 10:51 AM
The show's creator said their parents were killed in a car crash, but it was never discussed on the show.

I guess that means Daisy's parents were in the same car with Bo and Luke's parents. :confused:

Was Daisy not Jesse's daughter? Or did she call him Uncle, too?

Happy Lendervedder
03-23-2015, 11:31 AM
None of them were siblings, so apparently their parents were all in the same car. Jesse must have been babysitting the lot of them when the car crashed.

Bryan Ekers
03-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Whatever their line of work, it obviously didn't pay enough for wardrobe.

Of course, they wouldn't change if they could.

dropzone
03-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Wouldn't their customers get all wet?Just the women.

I assumed they were all on Welfare.

Sage Rat
03-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Ahhh.... well that explains alot!!

Alot not say anything? (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html)

BrainGlutton
03-23-2015, 03:05 PM
Not much of a market for alien milk in Georgia.

Was the state Hazzard County is in ever actually specified?

Skywatcher
03-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Was the state Hazzard County is in ever actually specified?The second episode puts Hazzard close enough to Atlanta for Daisy to drive there in a few hours.

control-z
03-23-2015, 03:26 PM

Yep, IIRC that was a plot point in Moonrunners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonrunners), which was movie created by Gy Waldron, before he made DoH. It's worth watching if you liked DoH. It even has Waylon Jennings narrating it, and many of the same characters (but different actors for the most part.) Ben Jones is in Moonrunners but not as Cooter.

ETA I think I remember Bo and Luke doing farm work and odd jobs for Hazzard County residents. IIRC it gave them a chance to show the boys with their shirts off.

Mk VII
03-23-2015, 03:36 PM

The terms of their probation appeared to be rather elastic, and varied from week to week as the plot required.

Hazard County appeared to be a corner of Georgia where you never saw a black person. Not one. Where did they hide them?

Skywatcher
03-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Hazard County appeared to be a corner of Georgia where you never saw a black person. Not one. Where did they hide them?Over in Chickasaw County. :D

BrainGlutton
03-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Hazard County appeared to be a corner of Georgia where you never saw a black person. Not one. Where did they hide them?

In Mayberry . . . no, wait . . .

C. Montgomery Burns
03-23-2015, 07:35 PM
I am embarrassed to say I know this much about The Dukes Of Hazzard...but when I was in high school, I thought it was awesome. Anyway...Bo and Luke worked with Uncle Jesse on the farm. And when Tom Wopat and John Schneider left the show for a while on a contract dispute, Bo and Luke went off to race NASCAR. Uncle Jesse and Boss Hogg used to be partners running moonshine. Uncle Jesse was known far and wide for the quality of his recipe, and when Boss Hogg started getting power hungry, he and Jesse had a falling out and Boss had him arrested for running an illegal still and Bo and Luke for running shine. The whole Duke family would have been behind bars if Uncle Jesse hadn't struck a deal with the US government to never run a still again as long as Bo and Luke stayed out of jail. So the Dukes had always had a farm, and that became their source of income. I wonder what I'd have room for in my head if I didn't have this stuff in there...

Robert163
03-23-2015, 08:15 PM
I am embarrassed to say I know this much about The Dukes Of Hazzard...but when I was in high school, I thought it was awesome. Anyway...Bo and Luke worked with Uncle Jesse on the farm. And when Tom Wopat and John Schneider left the show for a while on a contract dispute, Bo and Luke went off to race NASCAR. Uncle Jesse and Boss Hogg used to be partners running moonshine. Uncle Jesse was known far and wide for the quality of his recipe, and when Boss Hogg started getting power hungry, he and Jesse had a falling out and Boss had him arrested for running an illegal still and Bo and Luke for running shine. The whole Duke family would have been behind bars if Uncle Jesse hadn't struck a deal with the US government to never run a still again as long as Bo and Luke stayed out of jail. So the Dukes had always had a farm, and that became their source of income. I wonder what I'd have room for in my head if I didn't have this stuff in there...

thanks for the info. :D

Robert163
03-23-2015, 08:19 PM
I wonder what I'd have room for in my head if I didn't have this stuff in there...

I heard telephones, opera house, favorite melodies
I saw boys, toys, electric irons and T.V.'s
My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare
I had to cram so many things to store everything in there
And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
I never thought I'd need so many people

From Five Years, by David Bowie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYwpnG-rkHI

Snowboarder Bo
03-23-2015, 08:43 PM

Srsly, this is a truly awesome post.

TBG
03-23-2015, 09:06 PM

Also Coy's and Vance's. Makes you wonder why Jesse was the only sibling not in the car.

#insidejob

Fubaya
03-24-2015, 08:30 AM
And as mentioned earlier, none of them were siblings. That never made sense to me even as a kid. Why aren't Bo/Luke/Daisy, Coy/Vance simply two sets of siblings and cousins instead of five separate cousins? Were all ten parents in the same car?

Although, to be fair, the parents dying in a car crash only seems to apply to Bo and Luke, the whereabouts of the rest are simply unknown.

billfish678
03-24-2015, 09:19 AM

You slide over car hoods and jumped in open car windows didn't you ? :)

So did I. But an old white beat up Chevy Chevette ain't the General Lee by any stretch of the imagination. And a VW bug is even worse.

Stranger On A Train
03-24-2015, 09:20 AM
It helps if you make the connection that the titular "sons" disappearing from Fred MacMurray's California household correspond roughly in age to "Bo" and "Luke" (and later "Coy" and "Vance"). One imagines a regular stream of "cousins" being shipped to "Jesse's farm" in a remote area of the California Inland Empire in the little known Hazzard County south of Indio (hence why mountains can often be seen in the background) after they've become too old to sell the high potency biker meth produced by "Uncle" Jesse in high schools across the greater Los Angeles area. "Bub" and "Uncle Charlie" are there to control distribution and keep them in line while the technically competent "aeronautical engineer" Steve Douglas oversaw the entire operation and perfected his process of creating a product with extremely high purity ad clarity which was dubbed "Moonshine" by the customers who couldn't get enough of it.

The "Duke boys" made regular distribution runs which inept competitor "Boss" Hogg attempted to prevent by appointing as sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane (a not-to-distant cousin of First Mate Gilligan of the eponymous Pacific desert island) whose profound incompetence posed no genuine threat to this operation. The meth product–unseen in the show due to censorship of the day–was transported in the floorboards of the General Lee, while Jesse's scratch farm served as cover to procure the various precursors and solvents needed to manufacture both the methamphetimines and the copious amount of explosives used by the Duke clan to battle their enemies, while the smell of fertilizer and pig shit covered the odor from manufacture.

And everything Douglas did, he did for his "family".

Stranger

panamajack
03-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Weren't they involved in highway reconstruction as well? (At least until the French revolutionaries catch up with them.)

Alot not say anything? (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html)

Well that explains alot.

C. Montgomery Burns
04-07-2015, 08:04 PM

So did I. But an old white beat up Chevy Chevette ain't the General Lee by any stretch of the imagination. And a VW bug is even worse.

I used to have to haul water in the back of my dad's pick up truck, and got a kick out of jumping in through the window because the platform I stood on while filling the tank was at the right level. I also wrecked the same pickup truck (without the water tank) around the same time by trying out the bootlegger's turn from the show...it didn't go right and I got in a loooottt of trouble.

GrumpyBunny
04-08-2015, 11:54 AM

I tried sliding over a car hood once and fell off. I'm such a klutz. :o

AtomicDog
04-08-2015, 07:04 PM
C'mon, they sold pictures of Daisy washing the General Lee.

"Come on, safety pin, pop!"

Patch
04-08-2015, 10:33 PM
I used to have to haul water in the back of my dad's pick up truck, and got a kick out of jumping in through the window because the platform I stood on while filling the tank was at the right level. I also wrecked the same pickup truck (without the water tank) around the same time by trying out the bootlegger's turn from the show...it didn't go right and I got in a loooottt of trouble.

Was it awesome? (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/patchbunny/LJ%20Posting/mr%20burns_zpszx82foaz.jpg)

JohnT
04-09-2015, 06:09 AM
I, of course, watched it for Flash (http://media.theindychannel.com/photo/2012/10/24/TV-pets---Flash--Dukes-of-Hazzard-jpg_1351091280164_316912_ver1.0_640_480.jpg).

RIP James Best (Roscoe). Dagnabbit, you will be missed.

(mostly) Harmless
04-10-2015, 09:46 PM
They made money by being good ol' boys. Isn't that how everyone does it?

Muffin
04-11-2015, 12:35 AM
A General Lee (http://www.makkinga.ca/article/parade-of-lights-2013-144.asp) moved in on the small farm at the end of my road last fall. Unfortunately, there's no sign of a Daisy Duke yet.

terentii
04-11-2015, 02:34 AM
It helps if you make the connection that the titular "sons" disappearing from Fred MacMurray's California household correspond roughly in age to "Bo" and "Luke" (and later "Coy" and "Vance"). One imagines a regular stream of "cousins" being shipped to "Jesse's farm" in a remote area of the California Inland Empire in the little known Hazzard County south of Indio (hence why mountains can often be seen in the background) after they've become too old to sell the high potency biker meth produced by "Uncle" Jesse in high schools across the greater Los Angeles area. "Bub" and "Uncle Charlie" are there to control distribution and keep them in line while the technically competent "aeronautical engineer" Steve Douglas oversaw the entire operation and perfected his process of creating a product with extremely high purity ad clarity which was dubbed "Moonshine" by the customers who couldn't get enough of it.

The "Duke boys" made regular distribution runs which inept competitor "Boss" Hogg attempted to prevent by appointing as sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane (a not-to-distant cousin of First Mate Gilligan of the eponymous Pacific desert island) whose profound incompetence posed no genuine threat to this operation. The meth product–unseen in the show due to censorship of the day–was transported in the floorboards of the General Lee, while Jesse's scratch farm served as cover to procure the various precursors and solvents needed to manufacture both the methamphetimines and the copious amount of explosives used by the Duke clan to battle their enemies, while the smell of fertilizer and pig shit covered the odor from manufacture.

And everything Douglas did, he did for his "family".

Was this in any way connected with "Kate" and "Joe" who ran the Shady Rest Brothel, uhm, Hotel? :dubious:

VeryVickie
08-08-2018, 12:43 PM
I just watched the first episode. BTW Daisy, Luke, and Bo are all cousins. So their parents 6 adults would've been in the same car accident?? Uncle Jesse clearly states 'the DUKE family made corn wiskey moonshine for 200 years . . . before there was a Federal government to say otherwise. And they paid taxes on the corn crop.' Luke says Uncle Jesse will not take any government assistance - I think that means he doesn't have SS?? BTW several years later due to contract renewal issues Bo & Luke are replaced by 2 more cousins.

Darren Garrison
08-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Coy and Vance Duke are not to be spoken of.

Little Nemo
08-08-2018, 03:44 PM
I just watched the first episode. BTW Daisy, Luke, and Bo are all cousins. So their parents 6 adults would've been in the same car accident?? Uncle Jesse clearly states 'the DUKE family made corn wiskey moonshine for 200 years . . . before there was a Federal government to say otherwise. And they paid taxes on the corn crop.' Luke says Uncle Jesse will not take any government assistance - I think that means he doesn't have SS?? BTW several years later due to contract renewal issues Bo & Luke are replaced by 2 more cousins.

Cousins Coy and Vance. So we have five people who are the children of five brothers. (I'm charitably assuming none of these Duke children is the child of an unmarried Duke sister.) Plus a sixth living brother, Jesse.

What the hell happened in the Duke family a generation ago that wiped out five brothers and their wives?

zimaane
08-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Well, they could have gotten into some bad 'shine...

Seriously, if Uncle Jesse is youngest, then his siblings might well have been at life expectancy at the time of the show, so with a few accidents and some other bad luck, he could be the last of his generation.

mbh
08-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Can't think of a good zombie joke, so I will respond to this:With the plethora of road construction on nothing but gravel roads and bank robberies in Hazard, I guess Boss Hogg makes his money in construction kickbacks and the Duke Boys get a taste of the bank theft after apprehension.
According to Mad Magazine's parody of the show, Boss Hogg owned the car dealership that supplied new cars for the Hazzard County sheriff's department. Every time Roscoe or Enos wrecked a car chasing the Dukes, Boss Hogg cashed in.

Sicks Ate
08-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Whatever their line of work, it obviously didn't pay enough for wardrobe.

Of course, they wouldn't change if they could.100% worth the resurrection for this joke.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.