PDA

View Full Version : Susanna Hoffs/Bangles...Walk Like an Egyptian.

River Hippie
03-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Yum!
Walk Like An Egyptian (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk&list=RDCv6tuzHUuuk#t=33)

rsa
03-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Loved those 80's girl bands. Bangles, Go-Gos, Bananarama. The 80's had it all - great music, pub crawls...

And I concur with your assessment of Susanna Hoffs.

movingfinger
03-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Didn't Weird Al Yanckovic do a version called "Walk With an Erection"? Or did I just fantasize that?

ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness
03-27-2015, 01:44 AM
Didn't Weird Al Yanckovic do a version called "Walk With an Erection"? Or did I just fantasize that?
Not Weird Al. It was The Swinging Erudites, who got hit with a cease and desist. At that time parody wasn't clearly covered under fair use.

ETA: Here's more info on the legal stuff. (http://articles.latimes.com/1987-04-19/entertainment/ca-1702_1_kroq)

bytheway
03-27-2015, 01:57 AM
In "I'm Going Down to Liverpool" you can see Mr. Spock (well, Leonard Nimoy) with the Bangles!

Alessan
03-27-2015, 03:54 AM
Man, that side-eyes thing Hoff does is maybe the single sexiest moment in the history of rock n' roll.

Jack of Words
03-27-2015, 04:53 AM
I know it's a cover, but if we must leer over the lovely lady-group let's at least have one of their better tunes:
Hazy Shade of Winter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxrwImCJCqk)

GuanoLad
03-27-2015, 05:21 AM
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.Good on you, Sony, you lunatics.

Les Espaces Du Sommeil
03-27-2015, 05:28 AM
Man, that side-eyes thing Hoff does is maybe the single sexiest moment in the history of rock n' roll.

Oh, yes. Yes, it most definitely is.

Don't forget her mischievous smile, though.

And the way she slowly puts the tip of her tongue behind her top teeth. It's just... Well, let's say it makes it difficult to concentrate on... more... important... ... things. Hmmmm.

WordMan
03-27-2015, 05:45 AM

On the various histories I have seen of them, they assert a couple of things:

1) She had no clue she was being filmed close up. The eye thing was something she did as part of working an audience at a gig, and the camera was very far back so she had no sense it was on her. It was just one thing happening in the middle of a video shoot - absolutely no sense at the time that it was going to be All That.

2) That look changed everything about the band. The video blew up, that look became infamous and Hoffs was featured as their breakout star. Hoffs....didn't fight being made the star (some argued she pushed for it) and it led to dissent, radio-pop ballads like Eternal Flame and their breakup.

But, oh yeah, so freakin' hot.

EinsteinsHund
03-27-2015, 05:56 AM

Oh, yes. Yes, it most definitely is.

Don't forget her mischievous smile, though.

And the way she slowly puts the tip of her tongue behind her top teeth. It's just... Well, let's say it makes it difficult to concentrate on... more... important... ... things. Hmmmm.

Oh yes, Susanna (swoon). I've had a crush on her since Manic Monday. I have a weakness for women with guitars in general, and I don't know what I find sexier, her looks or her voice. No wonder that she always distracted from the ambitions of the Bangles to be viewed as a serious rock group and that they were marketed as a pop act, while their debut album was a fine example of jangly, Paisley underground rock. To everybody who likes her singing, I highly recommend the three cover albums she did with Matthew Sweet called Under The Covers (http://www.allmusic.com/album/under-the-covers-vol-1-mw0000507260) (Vol. 1-3), where they interpret mostly songs with a power pop vibe from the sixties, seventies and eighties, respectively. For everyone who loves that style of music, it's a pure pleasure with a very tasteful selection of songs.

don't ask
03-27-2015, 05:59 AM
I was disappointed that she didn't have a longer movie career to permit more of this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzGQJHZ0Qk)

Biggirl
03-27-2015, 06:05 AM
2) That look changed everything about the band. The video blew up, that look became infamous and Hoffs was featured as their breakout star. Hoffs....didn't fight being made the star (some argued she pushed for it) and it led to dissent, radio-pop ballads like Eternal Flame and their breakup.

As I read this I'm not seeing Walk Like An Egyptian but No Doubt's Don't Speak video.

Happy Lendervedder
03-27-2015, 06:06 AM
Hoffs only gets better with age (http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/susanna-hoffs-at-2014-stagecoach-festival-in-indio_3.jpg), for reals. I'm not just saying that. The woman is a stone cold fox.

carlb
03-27-2015, 06:11 AM
I saw the Bangles at a small venue in Chicago this last August, and was very pleasantly surprised at how good they were. Everyone was in excellent voice, and Vicki Peterson is a much better guitarist than I realized.

And Suzannah Hoffs is still really freaking hot.

The rathskeller at our college had a big-screen projection TV that used to have MTV on most of the day, and when "Walk Like an Egyptian" came on everything would just grind to a momentary halt, and the place would get noticeably quieter. Did I mention that I went to a predominantly male engineering school? :D

WordMan
03-27-2015, 06:15 AM
Hoffs only gets better with age (http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/susanna-hoffs-at-2014-stagecoach-festival-in-indio_3.jpg), for reals. I'm not just saying that. The woman is a stone cold fox.

No argument. And she can play a Rickenbacker guitar (grr, super-narrow necks that big dudes like me can't play...)

carlb - yeah, Vicki can play. Part of the dissent in the band was that Debbie and Vicki were solid players but treated more like a novelty. I think Debbie plays tambourine on the Egyptian video because she wasn't allowed to play drums on the recording so she wouldn't play them in the vid.

Crotalus
03-27-2015, 06:15 AM
To everybody who likes her singing, I highly recommend the three cover albums she did with Matthew Sweet called Under The Covers (http://www.allmusic.com/album/under-the-covers-vol-1-mw0000507260) (Vol. 1-3), where they interpret mostly songs with a power pop vibe from the sixties, seventies and eighties, respectively. For everyone who loves that style of music, it's a pure pleasure with a very tasteful selection of songs.I totally agree. I love these albums.

The Other Waldo Pepper
03-27-2015, 07:21 AM
She had no clue she was being filmed close up. The eye thing was something she did as part of working an audience at a gig, and the camera was very far back so she had no sense it was on her. It was just one thing happening in the middle of a video shoot - absolutely no sense at the time that it was going to be All That.

If you squint just right, it looks like the taller and less-interesting one is working the audience with it at the first WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN -- only, y'know, at range.

River Hippie
03-27-2015, 08:02 AM
I know it's a cover, but if we must leer over the lovely lady-group let's at least have one of their better tunes:
Hazy Shade of Winter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxrwImCJCqk)
Agree, that is a much better song. I've liked ever since I saw Less Than Zero.

SykoSkotty
03-27-2015, 08:10 AM
Agree, that is a much better song. I've liked ever since I saw Less Than Zero.

IMHO......best movie soundtrack EVER. Where else can you get Roy Orbison, Aerosmith, Public Enemy, Joan Jett, Slayer, The Bangles and LL Cool J all at once?

Hampshire
03-27-2015, 08:10 AM
On the various histories I have seen of them, they assert a couple of things:

1) She had no clue she was being filmed close up. The eye thing was something she did as part of working an audience at a gig, and the camera was very far back so she had no sense it was on her. It was just one thing happening in the middle of a video shoot - absolutely no sense at the time that it was going to be All That.

1996 called. It wants it's Pop-Up Video back :D

leftfield6
03-27-2015, 08:11 AM
Right before the whole Walk Like An Egyptian thing hit, I was a student worker at my college's basketball/multipurpose arena. Best work-study job ever! Whenever we had concerts, I was 'working' the show. I have such a good Susanna Hoffs story, it still makes me swoon a little bit here over two decades later.

After the concert was over, the roadies are moving the equipment out to the truck, but the Bangles were not big time yet, so there were probably a total of 8-10 real roadies there. It was such a small time tour that a few of us locals were enlisted to help out.

So, most of the gear is loaded into the truck, and the band themselves have started coming out of the little dressing room area (the women's locker room) and heading for the bus. A few of us college boys jumped at the chance to help them carry their things. Being the closest, I managed to wind up walking beside Ms Hoffs carrying her travel bag. :D

We get to the bus, and I get, as thanks, a nice little slightly bourbon-y kiss from Ms Hoffs. I think I may have just stood there slack faced for a good 5 minutes.:o:o

4 months later, they were big, and no longer playing small college shows. But I still remember that kiss.

TriPolar
03-27-2015, 08:11 AM
Hot chicks, fun song. That's a good mix.

SykoSkotty
03-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Right before the whole Walk Like An Egyptian thing hit, I was a student worker at my college's basketball/multipurpose arena. Best work-study job ever! Whenever we had concerts, I was 'working' the show. I have such a good Susanna Hoffs story, it still makes me swoon a little bit here over two decades later.

After the concert was over, the roadies are moving the equipment out to the truck, but the Bangles were not big time yet, so there were probably a total of 8-10 real roadies there. It was such a small time tour that a few of us locals were enlisted to help out.

So, most of the gear is loaded into the truck, and the band themselves have started coming out of the little dressing room area (the women's locker room) and heading for the bus. A few of us college boys jumped at the chance to help them carry their things. Being the closest, I managed to wind up walking beside Ms Hoffs carrying her travel bag. :D

We get to the bus, and I get, as thanks, a nice little slightly bourbon-y kiss from Ms Hoffs. I think I may have just stood there slack faced for a good 5 minutes.:o:o

4 months later, they were big, and no longer playing small college shows. But I still remember that kiss.

That deserves a virtual *HIGH FIVE*. Nice work!

Thudlow Boink
03-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Hazy Shade of Winter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxrwImCJCqk)Okay, I never knew, until seeing it over on the side on YouTube there, that Leonard Nimoy was in their video for "Going Down to Liverpool."

WordMan
03-27-2015, 09:07 AM
1996 called. It wants it's Pop-Up Video back :D

Worthless guitar and music trivia is my life. ;)

psiekier
03-27-2015, 09:56 AM
This is going to be completely obscure... maybe fellow anime fans in the know like deltasigma or Airk can back me up.

Way back in the late 1980's and early 1990's, there was a comedy anime dubbing group called "Pinesalad Productions". They are probably best known for taking episodes of Harmony Gold's Robotech re-cut of Macross and redubbing them with rude, juvenile humour.

They also dubbed several episodes of Sunrise's The Dirty Pair adaptation, however. I'll never forget in one episode, when the Pair's boss Luigi calls them on the video phone, he asks Kei if she knows who Susanna Hoffs from The Bangles is. When Kei responds in the affirmative, Luigi says he's been working on his impression of her, and then shifts his eyes from side to side in that familiar fashion.

I still find that gag hilarious. Too bad nobody seems to have copies of those dubs any more...

dasmoocher
03-27-2015, 10:53 AM
I was disappointed that she didn't have a longer movie career to permit more of this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zzGQJHZ0Qk)

Nice, but I kept on expecting the Terminator to bust in inquiring "Sarah Connor?"

Little Nemo
03-27-2015, 10:59 AM
That look changed everything about the band. The video blew up, that look became infamous and Hoffs was featured as their breakout star. Hoffs....didn't fight being made the star (some argued she pushed for it) and it led to dissent, radio-pop ballads like Eternal Flame and their breakup.One factor that should have been trivial was her height. Hoffs was several inches shorter than her bandmates. So when the band posed for group shots, photographers often arranged the four of them so Hoffs was in front. The unintended effect was that it looked like Hoffs was the star and the other three were her back-up band.

Little Nemo
03-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Hoffs only gets better with age (http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/susanna-hoffs-at-2014-stagecoach-festival-in-indio_3.jpg), for reals. I'm not just saying that. The woman is a stone cold fox.Oh yes. (http://www.susannahoffs.com/wp-content/gallery/live/liveblackdress.jpg)

Just Asking Questions
03-27-2015, 11:16 AM

Does it make that scene creepy to know her mother directed the film? I can just picture it: "come on honey. Wear this! Boys will like you. You need to get out more."

(Talk about unfairly maligned films. According to wikipedia, the film received a 0 on Rotten Tomatoes. Come on - it's not THAT bad.)

Tamerlane
03-27-2015, 12:59 PM

In the good old days Beavis and Butthead were amused/annoyed by that little affectation - "How come that chick keeps looking up?"

Dumbass show or not, their little video commentary snippets were frequently gold :D.

River Hippie
03-27-2015, 01:02 PM

Thank you, thank you so much for bringing that clip to my attention!

River Hippie
03-27-2015, 01:05 PM

Agree, she's still a beauty but I liked the big 80s hair.

Iggins
03-27-2015, 01:32 PM
I saw this a few days ago...

http://www.vulture.com/2015/02/watch-a-bangle-sing-the-bangles-at-karaoke.html

FuriousGeorge
03-27-2015, 01:40 PM

And she has a love for the Rickenbacker.. which makes her hotter.

ETA: ...or what WordMan said.

GargoyleWB
03-27-2015, 02:17 PM
..and then shifts his eyes from side to side in that familiar fashion.

I still find that gag hilarious. Too bad nobody seems to have copies of those dubs any more...

IIRC, Dennis Miller also did that on one of the SNL Weekend Updates. Hilarious :)

I saw Hoffs around '95 or '96, she did a spontaneous free concert out at Westlake Plaza downtown Seattle.

My favorite from her "Under the Covers" albums mentioned in this thread is Rod Stewart's Maggie May. She has a gravely floor to her voice like Rod, and when she sings it she totally flips the feel of it (at least in my fantasy) of being the older-cougar Maggie singing the story. She can use me up and kick me to the curb any day *swoon*.

I agree about her Rickenbacker. They released a Hoff's signature-edition model that is apparently now very hard to find and expensive. Saw one come up on E-Bay a few years ago, something like $4000, wish I'd had the money to frivolously binge on that...

EinsteinsHund
03-27-2015, 03:07 PM
My favorite from her "Under the Covers" albums mentioned in this thread is Rod Stewart's Maggie May. She has a gravely floor to her voice like Rod, and when she sings it she totally flips the feel of it (at least in my fantasy) of being the older-cougar Maggie singing the story. She can use me up and kick me to the curb any day *swoon*.

I listened to that album this afternoon, inspired by this thread, and intended to link to her version of Maggie May, but didn't because I couldn't find a link to the recording. She does Rod Stewart better there than Bonnie Tyler ever could, if you can believe it. And sung by her it's really ambiguous, because of course it's originally sung from the point of view of a young man, but I never saw it your way. Interesting interpretation.

Btw., Matthew Sweet does a spot on Tom Petty impersonation on that album, too.

Just Asking Questions
03-27-2015, 03:14 PM
IIRC, Dennis Miller also did that on one of the SNL Weekend Updates. Hilarious :).

The idea was hilarious, the execution was...not.

WordMan
03-27-2015, 03:32 PM
I agree about her Rickenbacker. They released a Hoff's signature-edition model that is apparently now very hard to find and expensive. Saw one come up on E-Bay a few years ago, something like $4000, wish I'd had the money to frivolously binge on that...

I *love* the look of Ricky's. But their necks typically have a nut width of 1 5/8". Argh, so narrow (1 3/4" is more common and that 1/8" different is huge to folks like me with sausage fingers). I am sure her sig model has a skinny neck profile, too - she's hot, but I couldn't play her guitar!

River Hippie
03-27-2015, 04:09 PM
I *love* the look of Ricky's. But their necks typically have a nut width of 1 5/8". Argh, so narrow (1 3/4" is more common and that 1/8" different is huge to folks like me with sausage fingers). I am sure her sig model has a skinny neck profile, too - she's hot, but I couldn't play her guitar!

Yes, I have a Japanese reissue Strat with a narrower nut width. Beautiful axe but that slight difference in nut width makes it harder for me to play. And I have relatively long slender fingers.

GargoyleWB
03-27-2015, 04:48 PM

I have a throw-away no-name electric at home that I want to salvage and restore specifically because it has one of the narrowest necks I've ever found, and I have tiny little hands and fingers that can barely cup a golf ball. I'll have to measure it and see what it is. Didn't know that about the Rickenbackers, makes me want it even more!

Chimera
03-27-2015, 05:09 PM
This thread inspired me to download their best of album from iTunes.

bytheway
03-27-2015, 07:08 PM
Rainy Day - I'll Keep It with Mine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZehtWDRUE&list=PLD0D63647ED932859&index=22)

Give this a listen. Unfortunately, the girl in the video is not Hoffs, but she sounds amazing.

River Hippie
03-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Rainy Day - I'll Keep It with Mine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZehtWDRUE&list=PLD0D63647ED932859&index=22)

Give this a listen. Unfortunately, the girl in the video is not Hoffs, but she sounds amazing.

I like the video but prefer my Susanna Hoffs backed by loud guitars and drums!

:D

River Hippie
03-27-2015, 07:56 PM
BTW, I didn't intend this thread to be Hoffs-centric. The other Bangles were certainly lovely and talented.

River Hippie
03-27-2015, 08:08 PM
One factor that should have been trivial was her height. Hoffs was several inches shorter than her bandmates. So when the band posed for group shots, photographers often arranged the four of them so Hoffs was in front. The unintended effect was that it looked like Hoffs was the star and the other three were her back-up band.

Watching this 1986 concert video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb3lC3gRR7I) she is clearly much tinier than her bandmates.

River Hippie
03-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Also, not being that devoted of a fan back in their heyday, I always thought Hoffs was "the singer" but clearly they shared vocals quite a bit.

HeXen
03-27-2015, 08:31 PM
I can tolerate some 80's stuff that I once listened to but that old pop and glam rock ...I just can't do it. I noticed that style of music has made a slight comeback though.

River Hippie
03-27-2015, 08:46 PM

MMMmmmm, bourbon flavored Sussana.

I'll be in my bunk.

Tixenfleaz
03-27-2015, 08:57 PM

Oh yes. I stood a few feet away from her as she played at a fest last year. Made me grin like the giddy twenty-something I haven't been in a long, long time. Which was nice.

ExTank
03-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Yum!
Walk Like An Egyptian (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv6tuzHUuuk&list=RDCv6tuzHUuuk#t=33)

So...are you just now noticing, thirty years gone? ;)

Or is this a (very pleasant) stroll down memory lane?

Slow day at work? :D

dropzone
03-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Agree, that is a much better song. I've liked ever since I saw Less Than Zero.Oh, THAT'S the appalling-looking Robert Downey movie in the background. Makes it easier to (continue) to avoid it if it has a name. ;)

Great song, though. And a band that taught me to not prejudge bands made up of beautiful women. I have their greatest hits and, unlike many greatest hits sets, they are nearly all hits. Or got enough airplay that I noticed them, which is the same thing.

Thudlow Boink
03-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Watching this 1986 concert video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb3lC3gRR7I) she is clearly much tinier than her bandmates.Thanks for the link: I just clicked to take a look and was compelled to watch the whole thing.

gigi
03-27-2015, 10:50 PM
I highly recommend the three cover albums she did with Matthew Sweet called Under The Covers (http://www.allmusic.com/album/under-the-covers-vol-1-mw0000507260) (Vol. 1-3), where they interpret mostly songs with a power pop vibe from the sixties, seventies and eighties, respectively.

WHAT!! I have the first two but I did not know about the third one, and I am a teenager of the 80s! Off to amazon!

Snooooopy
03-28-2015, 12:01 AM
No love for Michael Steele all this way into the thread? Can't have that! The odd nom de rock always threw me a little, but a real looker all the same.

GuanoLad
03-28-2015, 01:52 AM
No love for Michael Steele all this way into the thread? Can't have that! The odd nom de rock always threw me a little, but a real looker all the same.Hurrah! She should be played by Heather Matarazzo in a biopic.

tripthicket
03-28-2015, 01:52 AM
No love for Michael Steele all this way into the thread? Can't have that! The odd nom de rock always threw me a little, but a real looker all the same.

Not denying Ms. Hoff's incredible, uh, charms, but I have to say "Me, too!" Michael was always my favorite, for some reason I never quite put my finger on. But HEY! It's an excuse to go back and listen to all the old albums, refresh my memory on which ones Michael wrote and/or sang lead on. In the name of SCIENCE, of course.

River Hippie
03-28-2015, 09:28 AM
So...are you just now noticing, thirty years gone? ;)

Or is this a (very pleasant) stroll down memory lane?

Slow day at work? :D

Alcohol+internet=me cruising YouTube for music videos and occasionally starting a CS thread. :)

WordMan
03-28-2015, 09:42 AM

At one point I was going to say you could see her ex-Runaways roots with her hard-ass stare. Far more punk rock. Solid player.

ETA: Can you imagine her looking from side-to-side? ;) Um, no.

bienville
03-29-2015, 08:18 AM
Michael was always my favorite, for some reason I never quite put my finger on.
And if you're a dude, I'm sorry to say you will probably never put your finger on it.
Micki likes the ladies.
But HEY! It's an excuse to go back and listen to all the old albums, refresh my memory on which ones Michael wrote and/or sang lead on.
Steele wasn't really featured as a songwriter until the third album.
On the first album she didn't write any songs because she was the "new guy" having just replaced Annette Zilinkas who played in the early days and on the debut EP.
On the second album, Steele only wrote one song, the haunting "Following" (although, she had a second song doing lead vocals- the cover of Big Star's "September Girls", a highlight of the album).
She wrote three excellent songs on the third album.

On the 2003 reunion album, Doll Revolution, Michael Steele wrote the best songs. Overall Vicki Peterson is my favorite Bangle but on this particular album Steele really brings her A game in the songwriting department. It was very disappointing to me that she left after touring this album. She didn't do the subsequent tours and she's not on the 2011 album Sweetheart of the Sun.

I have their greatest hits and, unlike many greatest hits sets, they are nearly all hits. Or got enough airplay that I noticed them, which is the same thing.
If you like them that much, you'll be rewarded to seek out the deeper cuts.
At the very least, check out All Over the Place. This album has not so much as a nanosecond of filler. The entire album is amazing from start to finish.

The other albums will also show you that some of their best songs were never released as singles. On Different Light, "Angels Don't Fall In Love" totally kicks ass and is in no way stuck in the 80s. Vicki Peterson's other two songs on the album also stand among her best work, the title track of the album and "Return Post". And, as mentioned above, their cover of Big Star's "September Girls" is awesome. On Everything, there's the three wonderful Micki Steele songs, one of Vicki Peterson's best songs ever: "Make a Play for Her Now", and the Peterson Sisters' collaborative "Bell Jar", which is one of the highlights of the album.

Their post-reunion albums are very good as well.

At the very least, you should listen to All Over the Place all the way through.

burpo the wonder mutt
03-29-2015, 06:39 PM
Alcohol+internet=me cruising YouTube for music videos and occasionally starting a CS thread. :)

God bless your liver!

You all call yourself fans, and NO ONE has mentioned her presence in the first Austin Powers movie? The knee-high gogo boots? The mini-dress? The really phony British "mod" songs? Here's one now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1w85qMqIjs)... .

bienville
03-30-2015, 05:06 AM
You all call yourself fans, and NO ONE has mentioned her presence in the first Austin Powers movie?

If we're calling each other out for not mentioning things, you're mentioning her presence in the first Austin Powers movie and you're not mentioning ...

The band was called Ming Tea. Mike Myers put the band together to play small clubs around L.A. as he was developing the Austin Powers character. As the Ming Tea shows came to be well received and Myers felt like he really had a handle on the character, he began writing the movie. Ming Tea also features Matthew Sweet on bass going by the name Sid Belvedere (Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs' further collaborative efforts have already been mentioned upthread, this is where it all began). Hoff's played guitar in Ming Tea under the name Gillian Shagwell (sister to Felicity Shagwell, played by Heather Graham in the second Austin Powers movie).

The first Bangles reunion was for a one-off for the second Austin Powers movie. They wrote and recorded the song "Get the Girl" which was featured during the big celebration scene following the plot climax. This was the first new Bangles song in 10 years (at the time) and inspired the band to start working again on new material. Elvis Costello was also working on the second Austin Powers film and wrote the song "Doll Revolution" for The Bangles (it would be the title track for their first reunion album in 2003 but that album was delayed several times which resulted in Elvis Costello's version of the song being released first).

The third Austin Powers movie saw the return of Gillian Shagwell and Ming Tea. In addition to the Ming Tea presence, Susanna Hoffs also sang a remake of "What's It All About, Alfie?" (in tribute to Michael Caine, the original Alfie, major inspiration for the Austin Powers character. Caine played Powers' father in this final Austin Powers movie.) The lyrics for the remake were changed to "What's It All About, Austin?"

The Austin Powers movies were directed by Hoffs' husband, Jay Roach. Roach also directed Meet The Parents which featured the Academy Award Nominated song "A Fool In Love" written by Randy Newman and sung by Susanna Hoffs. Hoffs and Newman performed the song live at the Academy Awards ceremony.

WordMan
03-30-2015, 05:39 AM
Nice.

I believe we are in the midst of a Hoffs fanboy nerdfight.

I cede the floor. ;)

Stratocaster
03-30-2015, 05:50 AM
At one point I was going to say you could see her ex-Runaways roots with her hard-ass stare. I did not know about the Runaways connection. How about that.

bienville
03-30-2015, 06:30 AM
Nice.

I believe we are in the midst of a Hoffs fanboy nerdfight.

I cede the floor. ;)
Ha! If I was meant to be one of the Hoffs fanboys, then I take umbrage!
I am actually a Vicki Peterson fanboy and therefore know some Hoffs trivia through proximity. :p
I was the superfanboy of Vicki Peterson's 90's band The Continental Drifters which also featured Peter Holsapple of The dBs, Susan Cowsill of The Cowsills, and Mark Walton of The Dream Syndicate (L.A. Paisley Underground scene-mates of The Bangles*). The Continental Drifters were based in New Orleans at the time and I was living in New Orleans. I saw almost every local gig they played for about 4 years. They even showed up at some of my gigs to show support. After four years of what I thought was charm on my part (in retrospect, it was begging) Vicki finally went on one date with me (it was a daytime date ...for coffee ...but I am COUNTING it goddamnit!).

Vicki Peterson and Susan Cowsill also have a duo act called The Psycho Sisters. That project is also from the 90s and I saw all their local gigs too, but it is only just this past summer that they finally released their debut album (and it's awesome!).

I did not know about the Runaways connection. How about that.
The Runaways had about 87 different bass players. That's why in the movie about the band the bass player was a single fictional person with very little dialog. To be historically accurate about Runaways bass players would have been a Sisyphusian task.

*The Bangles song "Hero Takes a Fall" is about Dream Syndicate frontman Steve Wynn.

foolsguinea
03-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Hoffs only gets better with age (http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/susanna-hoffs-at-2014-stagecoach-festival-in-indio_3.jpg), for reals. I'm not just saying that. The woman is a stone cold fox.Wow.

burpo the wonder mutt
03-30-2015, 12:12 PM
The Runaways had about 87 different bass players. That's why in the movie about the band the bass player was a single fictional person with very little dialog. To be historically accurate about Runaways bass players would have been a Sisyphusian task.<snip>

They didn't explode like the drummers in Spinal Tap, did they?

bienville, you fell into my trap! One little comment about Austin Powers and you spill your guts. TWICE! Spy work is not for you. ;)

Thanks for the info. :cool:

outlierrn
03-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Interestingly, you can see Vickie doing the side eyes thing at 0:45, but it's a distance shot.

Enright3
03-31-2015, 01:16 PM
"This website has been blocked by your employer... " :mad:

Oh yes. (http://www.susannahoffs.com/wp-content/gallery/live/liveblackdress.jpg)

"Bandwidth Exceeded" :(

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.