PDA

View Full Version : Predict the next completely unnecessary TV show revival

Smeghead
03-27-2015, 12:40 PM
With X-Files and Coach both responding to an overwhelming lack of demand with upcoming revivals, what show will be next? I'm going with Cheers.

Scumpup
03-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Whatever the show was that had Urkel in it.

bump
03-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Nah, nothing so iconic or dependent on the actors themselves for success.

I'd imagine some kind of sitcom of moderate popularity like Mr. Belvedere, or maybe a light action or PI type show... like Simon & Simon.

Not that I think they'll actually remake either of those; I just doubt they'll try and recreate a show quite as prominent as Cheers.

DrCube
03-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Mama's Family?

RivkahChaya
03-27-2015, 01:05 PM
One Day at a Time

TriPolar
03-27-2015, 01:06 PM
My Mother the Car

Knowed Out
03-27-2015, 01:17 PM
Hogan's Heroes, but this time set in a ISIS prison camp.

ftg
03-27-2015, 01:19 PM
My Mother the Car

Sunny Tufts references never go out of style.

Anyway: Sure, why not. But Jerry Van Dyke now is the voice in the car of his grand? daughter. My Grandfather, the Car.

Sony is shopping around a Bewitched sequel pilot featuring Tabitha's daughter Daphne.

Czarcasm
03-27-2015, 01:19 PM
I was going to make some mocking suggestions...then I remembered how many times they've brought back Knight Rider, and realized that I've been trumped by reality yet again.

Push You Down
03-27-2015, 01:26 PM
With X-Files and Coach both responding to an overwhelming lack of demand with upcoming revivals, what show will be next? I'm going with Cheers.

Blue Thunder is coming back but as a drone instead of a chopper I believe.

This is revival, not remake though, right?

I could see a Monk revival.

terentii
03-27-2015, 01:29 PM
I just doubt they'll try and recreate a show quite as prominent as Cheers.

Or Hawaii Five-0. :rolleyes:

terentii
03-27-2015, 01:35 PM
By "revival," are we talking about basically the same show with the same actors, but 15 or 20 years gone by since we saw them last? And theyr'e now old and fat and wrinkled and have gravelly voices but are just marginally wiser and still horny and/or supposedly hot? :dubious: :confused:

kunilou
03-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Indestructible formats:

Matlock Folksy but crafty old lawyer, a couple of young, attractive assistants.

Knots Landing Why not? They brought back Dallas. Donna Mills is still alive and working, so you have an automatic villain, this time with a brand new cast of gorgeous people, and the old cast can make cameos.

armedmonkey
03-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Location: Interior of Chet Overwood's office, head of programming. A naked prostitute is laying face down across his desk. Chet is interrupted from snorting cocaine off her back by the entrance of Biff Understone, chief of young adult program developent.

Biff: I've got it! We're gonna bring back Action! Adventure! Romance! The 18 to 34 demographic!
Chet: "Homeboys in Outer Space"!
Biff: What's big right now? Supernatural teen romances. Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Twilight... That's what we're doing! Except our teen reboot won't be just a vampire or a werewolf, he'll be ALL the animals!
prostitute: Even narwhals?
Biff: Did your desk just talk?
Chet: Yes!
Biff: Cool!
Chet: So what are we going to call this narwhal reboot?
Biff: That's the beauty! It's a known brand! We'll call it... "MANIMAL!"

Zeldar
03-27-2015, 02:54 PM
Gunsmoke
Wanted: Dead or Alive
Maverick
Johnny Yuma
77 Sunset Strip
Gilligan's Island
I Led Three Lives
Pinky Lee

OttoDaFe
03-27-2015, 03:08 PM
My Mother the CarIf you're going to stoop that low, why not go all the way (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ugliest_Girl_in_Town)?

Max the Immortal
03-27-2015, 03:10 PM
No studio would have the stones to do a M*A*S*H remake.

CalMeacham
03-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Search

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probe_(1972_TV_pilot)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_(TV_series)

http://www.lileks.com/institute/70s/search/2.html

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
03-27-2015, 03:21 PM
My Mother the Car

...but not as a comedy. As a dark supernatural drama, with a truly sinister, murderous Captain Manzini. I could seriously see this happening.

Sherrerd
03-27-2015, 03:22 PM
The upcoming revival of The Jetsons will attempt to present a more realistic view of our probable future. The showrunners will concede that we are never going to get jetpacks and flying cars. Instead, the characters will walk around all day looking down at their handheld devices and will never interact.

The plots, as a result, will be a tad on the dull side.

Simplicio
03-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Gilligan's Island

A good chunk of the cast of Gilligan's island is dead, so I'm not sure how you'd do a revival.

The various Friends have had kind of middiling careers. I imagine they could be convinced to do a new show. Ditto Seinfeld, though Jerry seems pretty content to make webisodes and swim in his giant vault of money.

RivkahChaya
03-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Now that we have CGI, maybe some studio will think they can do a Manimal that won't suck. It will suck anyway.

I also have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that somebody may be contemplating a revival of The Love Boat. As a special twist, the captain will be black, the cruise director will be a gay man, and the doctor will be a woman. The bartender will be a wise-cracking black woman. Wanda Sykes will wisely turn down the role. The purser will be the only white guy, and they'll try to get some known actor for the role, maybe either a stand-up comic, or someone who was a kid actor in the 80s. (Josh Saviano, call your agent!)

Boyo Jim
03-27-2015, 03:41 PM
...Gilligan's Island ...

... starring Captain Schettino of the Costa Concordia.

Boyo Jim
03-27-2015, 03:43 PM
The Time Tunnel -- they might even be able to make a decent show out of it,
Sea Hunt
Flipper -- maybe this time with a killer whale?
Magnum PI

RivkahChaya
03-27-2015, 03:44 PM
The various Friends have had kind of middiling careers. I imagine they could be convinced to do a new show.
Yeah. Maybe one of them can even be persuaded to star in one of these misguided revivals. I can totally see David Schwimmer as a gay cruise director. Or Courteney Cox as the mother on One Day at a Time. Not Matthew Perry, though; he was always the smart one.

Quimby
03-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Not that I think they'll actually remake either of those; I just doubt they'll try and recreate a show quite as prominent as Cheers.

Cheers would never get made (or remade) today because it featured older characters and wasn't "about" anything. It had no hook. If you pitched a show as "It's about the characters in a bar in Boston." Network execs would just laugh it away.

Vinyl Turnip
03-27-2015, 04:09 PM
The Chevy Chase Show

Zeldar
03-27-2015, 04:41 PM
A good chunk of the cast of Gilligan's island is dead, so I'm not sure how you'd do a revival.

Not a revival so much as a recasting. As a point of fact, every one of those shows I mentioned had casts that are all (or mostly all) dead by now.

Recasting GI would be a real challenge, I will admit.

Push You Down
03-27-2015, 06:40 PM

The various Friends have had kind of middiling careers. I imagine they could be convinced to do a new show. Ditto Seinfeld, though Jerry seems pretty content to make webisodes and swim in his giant vault of money.

I actually would love a Friends revival in about 10 years called "Old Friends"

Simplicio
03-27-2015, 07:01 PM
I actually would love a Friends revival in about 10 years called "Old Friends"

Yea, I kinda like the idea as well. There are a million Friends-Clones on TV now, it would kind of be fun to have the original come back as a show that shows where all those witty single Manhattenite 20-somethings end up after thirty years.

Plus the cast is a good fit for a revival, since none of them has been so successful post-friends that a TV show couldn't afford them, while at the same time none of them has completely burned out or disappeared. I think they're all still working, even.

kunilou
03-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Get Smart

Except now, instead of working for CONTROL, Max works for the Secret Service.

Ripped from the headlines, I tell ya!

Suburban Plankton
03-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Matlock Folksy but crafty old lawyer, a couple of young, attractive assistants.
Starring Bob Odenkirk (http://i2.wp.com/www.trashtalktv.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/06-better-call-saul-bob-odenkirk-is-matlock-0106.jpg)!

Barking Dog
03-27-2015, 08:13 PM
With a movie under their belts, I could see them trying to do Maverick and the A-Team again on the teevee.

I think I'd actually like to see a Rockford Files revival. Is James Garner still kicking around? He could do cameos!

Wile E
03-27-2015, 08:20 PM

Dawn Wells and Tina Louise in a fight to the death on a deserted Island? They've been there so long they've gone feral, maybe there could be a bit of a Lost vibe, except they actually answer questions.

The Mad Hermit
03-27-2015, 08:21 PM
I think a revival of F Troop, this time set in Afghanistan, would have potential...

Wendell Wagner
03-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Life with Elizabeth, a show about a 93-year-old woman whose husband died 45 years ago who has decided to start dating again now that enough time has passed. It stars Betty White:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_with_Elizabeth

pulykamell
03-27-2015, 09:34 PM
...but not as a comedy. As a dark supernatural drama, with a truly sinister, murderous Captain Manzini. I could seriously see this happening.

How about Small Wonder with this sort of dark twist. Anyone? I guess it was pretty creep enough to begin with....

The Other Waldo Pepper
03-27-2015, 09:41 PM
How about Star Trek: The Next Next Generation, following the Pine/Quinto/Saldana reboot with a new Jean-Luc Picard; I'm thinking James McAvoy in a bald cap?

Exapno Mapcase
03-27-2015, 09:48 PM
The Cosby Show. With lots of guest actresses and scenes set on the couch.

terentii
03-27-2015, 09:52 PM
I think I'd actually like to see a Rockford Files revival. Is James Garner still kicking around? He could do cameos!

Unfortunately, no. Passed away on 19 July last year:

http://www.dpsinfo.com/dps/gnames.html#top

As for Time Tunnel, a reboot pilot was shot some time ago. It was dismal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mETHT5npqOI

Cinnamon Imp
03-28-2015, 05:26 AM
Buck Rodgers

Blank Slate
03-28-2015, 06:01 AM
The Gong Show

Superdude
03-28-2015, 06:26 AM
I could see a modern version of Quantum Leap.

GuanoLad
03-28-2015, 07:04 AM
Bewitched. I'm surprised, yet glad, that it hasn't been already. Horrible movie excepted.

Sr Siete
03-28-2015, 07:26 AM
I could see a modern version of Quantum Leap.

You know, Scott Bakula still looks fairly good, and the original show did end with him continuing his jumps. I can see a x-files type revival.

Maybe, after decades of body-jumping, society has become aware of his existence? And he's treated as a sort of religious figure?

C. Montgomery Burns
03-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Realistically? King Of The Hill is possible at some point. There was no "final episode" where everything was wrapped up, just a regular episode. Mike Judge brought back Beavis and Butthead a few years ago. And despite Brittany Murphy not being alive to voice Luanne, I bet all the rest of the voice actors would do it at the drop of a hat. Not that everyone is clamoring for that, but it's reasonable that it could happen.

zoid
03-28-2015, 07:54 AM
Oh PLEASE let it be Heil Honey I'm Home!

GrumpyBunny
03-28-2015, 07:57 AM
I also have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that somebody may be contemplating a revival of The Love Boat. As a special twist, the captain will be black, the cruise director will be a gay man, and the doctor will be a woman. The bartender will be a wise-cracking black woman. Wanda Sykes will wisely turn down the role. The purser will be the only white guy, and they'll try to get some known actor for the role, maybe either a stand-up comic, or someone who was a kid actor in the 80s. (Josh Saviano, call your agent!)

Damn, I was thinking the same thing.

Does that mean it could be a hit?

Quimby
03-28-2015, 08:22 AM

I give you Love Boat: The Next Wave (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0143050/).

With all of the Z grade celebrities we have, I am surprised something like this hasn't been done again. My guess is if they redid The Love Boat today it would be a Reality Show and the three stories we follow would "real" in the sense that the people wouldn't be actors and it it would be set on a real Cruise liner but it would be created by writers like most reality shows are behind the scenes these days.

kayaker
03-28-2015, 08:48 AM
The Cosby Show. With lots of guest actresses and scenes set on the couch.

And Dr Huxtabel at the office, leering at his next patient and sending his nurse on an errand.

RealityChuck
03-28-2015, 08:49 AM
Strictly speaking, no revival is "necessary." Neither is the original show, for that matter.

Son of a Rich
03-28-2015, 11:29 AM
No studio would have the stones to do a M*A*S*H remake.

Thank God. I hated that show.

Coming soon: Man From Uncle, and the Wild Wild West.

Don Draper
03-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Life with Elizabeth, a show about a 93-year-old woman whose husband died 45 years ago who has decided to start dating again now that enough time has passed. It stars Betty White:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_with_Elizabeth

This reminds me of a "Top Ten" list that Dave Letterman did on his original NBC show way back in the 80s (I'd say around '87 - '89): "Top Ten Television Shows in the Year 2020" or something to that effect. One of the 'shows' he mentioned was called "The Golden Girl" (singular). That show actually could happen now - Betty White starring as Rose, the last survivor.

Just for the sheer weirdness of it, I'd like to see a series called "How I Met Your Father" with the entire cast of HIMYM reunited, including the two future kids. The series would start with the kids telling their aunt Robin "Dad told us his version of how you two got together. He said this and this and this." And then the voice-over of Aunt Robin says "No, no, no...he got it all wrong." And then we flashback to episode one, and repeat every single episode of the series from Robin's POV, and everything seems wildly different.

Exapno Mapcase
03-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Thank God. I hated that show.

Coming soon: Man From Uncle, and the Wild Wild West.
Wild Wild West was a very bad movie, with Will Smith, and The Man from UNCLE with Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer will be out in August.

Just for the sheer weirdness of it, I'd like to see a series called "How I Met Your Father"
Planned and dropped (http://deadline.com/2014/05/how-i-met-your-dad-not-going-forward-at-cbs-what-went-wrong-what-happens-next-730012/), though not your version.

terentii
03-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Bewitched. I'm surprised, yet glad, that it hasn't been already. Horrible movie excepted.

I saw a South American version of it on Russian TV a few years back. It was dismal too. :(

ftg
03-28-2015, 02:57 PM
BTW, if someone was going to predict Heroes, too late (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_Reborn_(TV_miniseries)).

The Winkler
04-01-2015, 01:45 AM
Not a revival so much as a recasting. As a point of fact, every one of those shows I mentioned had casts that are all (or mostly all) dead by now.

Recasting GI would be a real challenge, I will admit.

There would have to be castaways of all different races and sexual orientations if GI was made today. But Gilligan would have to remain a white, heterosexual male because Gilligan is such an idiot. Make the stupid one any other race and hell would be raised.

JohnT
04-01-2015, 06:14 AM
Before The Avengers (movie) became such a hit, I feared the possibility of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer revival.

Doesn't mean it can't be rebooted, however. :(

FairyChatMom
04-01-2015, 06:29 AM
I also have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that somebody may be contemplating a revival of The Love Boat. As a special twist, the captain will be black, the cruise director will be a gay man, and the doctor will be a woman. The bartender will be a wise-cracking black woman. Wanda Sykes will wisely turn down the role. The purser will be the only white guy, and they'll try to get some known actor for the role, maybe either a stand-up comic, or someone who was a kid actor in the 80s. (Josh Saviano, call your agent!)If they wanted to really pretend to have a crew similar to actual cruise ships, they'd need to be MUCH more ethnically diverse. I've only been on 3 cruises (two different cruise lines) and I'm hard-pressed to remember any Americans in any of the featured positions. Of course, reality has nothing to do with TV anyway.

I seem to recall reading an article about working on cruise ships and there are specific rules about interacting with passengers. But we can't have facts getting in the way of entertainment. :D

Boyo Jim
04-01-2015, 07:39 AM
... I seem to recall reading an article about working on cruise ships and there are specific rules about interacting with passengers. ... :D

1. No fucking more than 1 passenger at a time.
2. No fucking any passenger more than once (there's a lot of passengers and not enough crew for them all).

FairyChatMom
04-01-2015, 08:03 AM
That wasn't in the article I read... :p

Boyo Jim
04-01-2015, 08:30 AM
That wasn't in the article I read... :p

Um ... I'm sure this was in the Reader's Digest!

cmyk
04-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Could you imagine them bringing back Moonlighting now that Bruce Willis is a mega star. And Cybill Shepherd is... well... old. (http://usspost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Cybill-Shepherd.jpg)

JerrySTL
04-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Mister Ed.

kayaker
04-01-2015, 08:43 AM
If they wanted to really pretend to have a crew similar to actual cruise ships, they'd need to be MUCH more ethnically diverse. I've only been on 3 cruises (two different cruise lines) and I'm hard-pressed to remember any Americans in any of the featured positions.

I've only cruised on Celebrity ships, and ethnicity is part of their "thing". All stewards were from the Philippines, all dining room people from Poland, etc.

Lumpy
04-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Searchhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probe_(1972_TV_pilot))Tweaked link formatting to work.

The Time Tunnel -- they might even be able to make a decent show out of itThey tried. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mETHT5npqOI)

Lumpy
04-01-2015, 09:09 AM
I posted this one previously:
The Return of Desmond Pfeiffer: An African-American president discovers that the White House is haunted by the ghost of his ancestor, a man who was a butler to Abraham Lincoln. The ghost's sage advice, drawing parallels between Civil War and contemporary issues, helps his Presidential descendant navigate the tricky political waters.

Enright3
04-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Gunsmoke
Wanted: Dead or Alive
Maverick
Johnny Yuma
77 Sunset Strip
Gilligan's Island
I Led Three Lives
Pinky Lee

I like the way you think with most of that list. I personally think it's about time that westerns became popular again. :)

Boyo Jim
04-01-2015, 10:10 AM
I think Mel Gibson was a credible Maverick in the movie remake, but now ... not so much.

BrotherCadfael
04-01-2015, 10:15 AM
I actually would love a Friends revival in about 10 years called "Old Friends"They could sit on a park bench, like... oh, I don't know... bookends?

Might get a decent theme song out of that.

Smeghead
04-01-2015, 10:30 AM
So no one told you death was going to be this way...

*COUGHCOUGHCOUGHCOUGH*

Just Asking Questions
04-01-2015, 01:22 PM
There needs to be a distinction between reboots and revisited shows.

A show that does a "where are they now" with original cast, can be good (or at least not stupid). Witness The Wild Wild West Revisited, with Conrad and Martin revising their own roles, but older. That was at least as good as the original show. Still The Beaver was pretty good, with adult versions (played by original actors) of the characters. I'd love to see a version like that for Magnum.

Then there is the remake, with all new casts. But the trouble with these is, a lot of these shows were products of their time. The political world view that spawned all the 60s spy shows isn't the world now. And the audience is more sophisticated now. Simple comedies like Gilligan and Hogan probably wouldn't work.

Master Wang-Ka
04-01-2015, 01:28 PM
I vaguely remember a show a while back that seemed to be a remake of "I Dream Of Jeannie." Except that instead of a gorgeous blonde in silk pantaloons calling a guy "master," they had ... um... a black dude... in a three piece suit... calling a white guy "master."

I saw one episode, and thought, "What WERE they thinking?"

Ethilrist
04-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Fresh Prince of Bel Aire gets a gritty reboot as Fresh Prince and Princess of Watts, starring Will Smith's kids as they head off to live with their crack ho aunt.

JohnGalt
04-01-2015, 07:58 PM
I think a revival of F Troop, this time set in Afghanistan, would have potential...

Or M*A*S*H in Afghanistan. It could happen when and if the country gets weary of ongoing wars as the case with Vietnam.

Boyo Jim
04-01-2015, 08:59 PM

Or M*A*S*H in Afghanistan. It could happen when and if the country gets weary of ongoing wars as the case with Vietnam.

I think F Troop is a better choice. Remember how O'Rourke and Agarn had these shady business set up with the local tribe? I can see that "Taliban Korans", "ISIS Beheading Swords" and other shitty souvenirs, all being shipped back by military transport to the US for sale.

Oh, and heroin too.

Defensive Indifference
04-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Buck Rodgers
I kinda like that idea. I vaguely remember liking the show when I was a kid. Give it the "Battlestar Galactica" treatment -- darker, better production values, better acting -- and it could be cool.

Push You Down
04-02-2015, 01:08 PM
I vaguely remember a show a while back that seemed to be a remake of "I Dream Of Jeannie." Except that instead of a gorgeous blonde in silk pantaloons calling a guy "master," they had ... um... a black dude... in a three piece suit... calling a white guy "master."

I saw one episode, and thought, "What WERE they thinking?"

There was Ka-Zam, a movie where Shaq played a genie who walked around calling a little white kid "master"

BubbaDog
04-02-2015, 01:55 PM
The Monkees

control-z
04-02-2015, 01:57 PM
The Brady Bunch, starring Brad and Angelina.

Boyo Jim
04-02-2015, 02:00 PM
The Brady Bunch, starring Brad and Angelina.

As mom and dad, or incestuous brother and sister?

Lumpy
04-02-2015, 06:23 PM
The Brady Bunch, starring Brad and Angelina.Maybe as a sequel to Mr. and Mrs. Smith, fifteen years later. In case they are ever found by their former employers, they've trained all their children in assassination techniques, hand to hand combat, knives, guns, explosives and electronic surveillance. Hilarity ensues as the kids' unconventional upbringing bumps up against their middle-class lifestyle.

Unless Spy Kids was this already.

Smeghead
04-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Nobody here was pessimistic enough. Behold, the end of humanity: http://tvline.com/2015/04/02/full-house-reunion-show-fuller-house-netflix-revival/

Ethilrist
04-05-2015, 07:51 AM
As mom and dad, or incestuous brother and sister?

No, they'd have Angelina's brother play Uncle Jimmy.

elfkin477
04-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Nobody here was pessimistic enough. Behold, the end of humanity: http://tvline.com/2015/04/02/full-house-reunion-show-fuller-house-netflix-revival/

Now that Fuller House has been announced, I desperately want them to revive Dawson's Creek as now 30-somethings who have to...I don't know, what do we people in our 30s do anyway? And for them to bring back Eerie, Indiana and/or So Weird with now adult protagonists who would either be seen as conspiracy theorists or mentally ill.

But as for unnecessary, I'm hoping against Seventh Heaven or Small Wonder or Out of This World being brought back. And I'm glad that Melissa Joan Hart got her way and they murdered a 90s era sequel-ly thing to Clarissa Explains It All, because it does sound like it would have been terrible.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.