PDA

View Full Version : Steven Spielberg to direct Ready Player One adaptation

Tangent
03-27-2015, 01:16 PM
http://deadline.com/2015/03/ready-player-one-movie-steven-spielberg-ernest-cline-warner-bros-1201398299/

As a fan of the book, this has me pumped. It's a Gen X dream come true! :D

For a movie that should be a visual feast with lots of action but also plenty of heart, this is a great combination. I'm glad someone with Spielberg's clout is taking this on.

gregorio
03-27-2015, 01:53 PM
I read it recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. I recognized most (but not all) of the games and situations. However I wonder how Spielberg will handle the very dark (IMHO) aspect of:

the murder of the main character's family, scumbags that they were.

Looking forward to watching this.

SJL4041
03-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Yuck. I loved the book, but it needs a light touch, not Spielberg's ponderousness. I know this is a minority opinion, but Spielberg has sucked for a while. As for his sci-fi output, A.I. was an ugly mess, Minority Report was okay, and I missed his War of the Worlds. I don't think it excited too many people.

pinkfreud
03-27-2015, 02:56 PM
I have high hopes for this. I wonder how the movie will handle the big reveal about Aech.

Tangent
03-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I'm curious about how they will present the characters, since so much of the time they are using their avatars in the virtual world.

Quimby
03-27-2015, 03:08 PM
How in the world will they get the rights to half the stuff in there I wonder?

Tangent
03-27-2015, 03:57 PM
^That's a good question. I think Spielberg's involvement should help, in terms of both money and name-recognition. The article I linked to above mentions The Lego Movie and how a lot of people who hold the rights to various properties referenced in that movie were very willing to participate. Though I imagine some of the rights to these old games and movies may have changed hands many times and it could get complicated just to figure out who currently owns them. I have no idea how all that works, though. Did Ernest Cline have to get permission to write about all of them for the book? Does it fall under "fair use"?

Trancephalic
03-27-2015, 06:11 PM
I'm still waiting for his Fatal Frame adaptation.:mad:

Alessan
03-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Yuck. I loved the book, but it needs a light touch, not Spielberg's ponderousness. I know this is a minority opinion, but Spielberg has sucked for a while. As for his sci-fi output, A.I. was an ugly mess, Minority Report was okay, and I missed his War of the Worlds. I don't think it excited too many people.

Spielberg can do light if he puts his mind to it - just look at Catch Me if You Can.

diggerwam
03-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Book was really simplistic. Problem, solution, repeat. I really don't like Spielberg too much. I'll probably try to avoid the movie.

epbrown01
03-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Yuck. I loved the book, but it needs a light touch, not Spielberg's ponderousness.

My first thought on hearing this.

How in the world will they get the rights to half the stuff in there I wonder?

I don't see a problem - once properties are old enough, rights owners seem to relax a bit, and all this stuff will be almost 40 years old. Will Rush bitch about one of their old albums being hugely relevant, or will the makers of D&D grouse about their product playing a pivotal role, and so on etc. The films would be the toughest part.

Doesn't matter to me, really. If Cline got a crapload of money for the rights, I'm pleased because I really enjoyed the book (despite Art3mis being a bitch pretty much the entire book and never being called on it), but if the movie stinks I just won't watch it.

Omar Little
07-01-2015, 04:35 PM
I just got around to reading the book.

Generally it was entertaining but it was basically a nerd/gamer's wet dream: Real world overweight loner/introvert, saves the world, makes beaucoup bucks, and finds his dream love all by playing a video games and watching movies. Pure fantasy!

Chronos
07-01-2015, 05:23 PM
Huh, funny that I should see this thread now. I was just asking someone today whether Spielberg was still directing anything, or if he had retired. We were bemoaning the prevalence of Michael Bay and his ilk.

Biggirl
07-01-2015, 05:26 PM
It needs to be an action-adventure because there is nothing else to the book besides that. Oh and paragraphs of name dropping. Not of people but of old movies and tv shows, music and games. Seriously, sometimes even two paragraphs of nothing but lists old entertainment stuffs.

But I did want to know how everything turned out. I think it would be a good Running Man type movie.

ETA: Michael Bay would make a good adaptation, I think.

Tangent
07-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Michael Bay has never made a good anything.

Tangent
07-22-2017, 03:11 PM
First trailer for Spielberg's Ready Player One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiK2fhOY0nE

Almost all 'action' scenes in the trailer, and they look really great! There's a ton of stuff to dissect just in these snippets.

ZipperJJ
07-22-2017, 03:15 PM
The use of a "Pure Imagination" (Willy Wonka) epic remix and a Rush song in the trailer has me ready to go!

Okrahoma
07-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Loved the book, movie looks great from the trailer. Release date is March 30, 2018. Long time to wait.

Kinda sucks that Cline's second book was so horrible but I guess he's a one hit wonder.

snfaulkner
07-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Michael Bay has never made a good anything.

I don't know anything about the book and movie yinz guys are talking about, but I can't let this statement (quoted) from 2015 go un-seconded.

Uosdwis R. Dewoh
07-22-2017, 04:07 PM
I don't know anything about the book and movie yinz guys are talking about, but I can't let this statement (quoted) from 2015 go un-seconded.
Bad Boys, The Rock, and Armageddon are solid popcorn movies. Admittedly, after those his hyperactive directing style got old fast.

snfaulkner
07-22-2017, 04:26 PM
Bad Boys, The Rock, and Armageddon are solid popcorn movies. Admittedly, after those his hyperactive directing style got old fast.

Nope. Sorry. All terrible.

Tangent
07-22-2017, 04:41 PM
The zero-g dance club looks almost exactly like I imagined from reading the book. The Stacks also look great.

I got goosebumps when the Delorean shows up. That race scene looks insane.

Fair Rarity
07-22-2017, 08:17 PM
It looked a little TOO much for my taste but that could be just trailer editing and hype. Spielberg is good at quiet moments.

The stacks were exactly what I pictured, and I also thought the same for the dance.

I hope by the time I get to see it all the WOW and SURPRISE isn't taken away by other trailers, tumblr gifs, etc. If a Care Bear kills Alf with a Rubik's Cube to some Cyndi Lauper music, I want to experience it viewing the whole move, not someone else's excerpt.

Jack Burden
07-22-2017, 11:13 PM
Viewing this trailer brought tremendous excitement to very private parts of my being. Loved the stacks, less thrilled with them being moved from OK to OH. Somehow the stacks just seem so Oklahoma to me. Zero-G dancing? Perfect! Why was the Iron Giant in there though? I know he was an option for gunters who got through the 2nd gate, but don't recall anyone picking him. Do not cheat us of Leopardon!

Jack Burden
07-22-2017, 11:25 PM
Forgot to mention the Akira motorcycle looked freaking amazing

Bricker
07-23-2017, 12:39 AM
The rights to Ferris Bueller's Day Off are critical.

Tangent
07-23-2017, 02:25 AM
In the line-up for the race, you can see the car from Christine, as well as the A-Team van. Lara Croft is leaning against Christine.

epbrown01
07-23-2017, 04:37 AM
Viewing this trailer brought tremendous excitement to very private parts of my being. Loved the stacks, less thrilled with them being moved from OK to OH. Somehow the stacks just seem so Oklahoma to me. Zero-G dancing? Perfect! Why was the Iron Giant in there though? I know he was an option for gunters who got through the 2nd gate, but don't recall anyone picking him. Do not cheat us of Leopardon!

My guess is the death race sequence is the climax, rather than the assault on Castle Anorak. I think it's Wade in the De Lorean, that Aech is the techno-ogre we see fighting and driving the monster truck, and Art3mis is the ninja riding the motorcycle from Akira. From rumors I've heard, I-rok is now one of the gang, replacing Daito and Shoto. And nope, I don't think they got the rights to all the giant mecha, so I suspect the scene with the Iron Giant replaces it, with I-rok or Aech controlling it.

I don't get having Wade start in Columbus, OH - there's clearly a scene with a bus so where's he going?

Isamu
07-23-2017, 05:35 AM
That race scene looks insane.

I'm blanking. Where was the race in the book?

Okrahoma
07-23-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm blanking. Where was the race in the book?

There was no race in the book. Clearly the movie is going to have some changes from the book. Cline was in on writing the script, and from what I have read, he had a bunch of alternative races/puzzles he didn't include in the book that may have gone into the movie.

Jophiel
07-23-2017, 10:28 AM
In the line-up for the race, you can see the car from Christine, as well as the A-Team van. Lara Croft is leaning against Christine.
I never read the book and, if it's a spoiler then don't tell me, but I'm half guessing that everyone else is in generic race cars because they essentially haven't earned enough in-game currency or bought the DLC?

Jack Burden
07-23-2017, 11:39 AM
I never read the book and, if it's a spoiler then don't tell me, but I'm half guessing that everyone else is in generic race cars because they essentially haven't earned enough in-game currency or bought the DLC?

Not much of a spoiler, and speculative since the race isn't even in the book, but those are probably all the bad guys, called the Sixers. More uniform in appearance because the all work for one corporation that is at odds with our heroes.

Mahaloth
07-23-2017, 11:47 AM
I am considering reading the book. Recommended?

Jack Burden
07-23-2017, 11:49 AM
My guess is the death race sequence is the climax, rather than the assault on Castle Anorak. I think it's Wade in the De Lorean, that Aech is the techno-ogre we see fighting and driving the monster truck, and Art3mis is the ninja riding the motorcycle from Akira. From rumors I've heard, I-rok is now one of the gang, replacing Daito and Shoto. And nope, I don't think they got the rights to all the giant mecha, so I suspect the scene with the Iron Giant replaces it, with I-rok or Aech controlling it.

I don't get having Wade start in Columbus, OH - there's clearly a scene with a bus so where's he going?

Interesting and those changes makes sense in terms of actually being able to get this movie made, although I really wanted to see Ultraman fight MechaGodzilla. Funny the I-rok was such a putz in the book and will now be one of the stars, but you can easily replace Daito & Shoto.

According to Spielberg at Comic-Con, Iron Giant is going to play a huge role in this movie.

Thudlow Boink
07-23-2017, 11:53 AM
I am considering reading the book. Recommended?If you are in the target audience, absolutely (or listen to the audiobook narrated by Wil Wheaton).

If you're not familiar with 80s pop culture (especially the geekier stuff), you may not get as much out of it, but it's probably still worth reading if your own interests lean at all toward geeky, computer-gamey stuff.

epbrown01
07-23-2017, 03:59 PM
If you are in the target audience, absolutely (or listen to the audiobook narrated by Wil Wheaton).

If you're not familiar with 80s pop culture (especially the geekier stuff), you may not get as much out of it, but it's probably still worth reading if your own interests lean at all toward geeky, computer-gamey stuff.

I take a different tack. I'd recommend it to anyone - it's a quick, fun read, and even if you know nothing about 80s culture, the book goes into exhaustive detail. It doesn't stand up to re-reading; Cline's not that great a writer overall and all that detail bogs it down the next time through.

Tangent
07-23-2017, 05:52 PM
From rumors I've heard, I-rok is now one of the gang, replacing Daito and Shoto.

I'm sorry to hear that. They were part of a few of the more touching moments in the book, that grounded the story with some reminders of the humanity of the characters. I wonder if parts of their story will be transferred to other characters.

And here's another link to the trailer, from the official Warner Brothers youtube channel. There's a couple of extra lines of narration at the beginning that are cut off from the earlier link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h3zL-IA_KI

Rushgeekgirl
07-23-2017, 06:26 PM
You know how you feel when your favorite band plays on the radio? Times that by 100. :)

GIGObuster
07-23-2017, 06:55 PM
And here's another link to the trailer, from the official Warner Brothers youtube channel. There's a couple of extra lines of narration at the beginning that are cut off from the earlier link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h3zL-IA_KI

At the 2 minute mark, there is a Big Foot sighting..

Not that one, the monster Truck. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfoot_(truck))

Isamu
07-24-2017, 09:57 AM
There was no race in the book. Clearly the movie is going to have some changes from the book. Cline was in on writing the script, and from what I have read, he had a bunch of alternative races/puzzles he didn't include in the book that may have gone into the movie.

Oh, Hmm. The book was fun and I recommend it for any 35-55 year old guy/gal who grew up in the 80s. The writing is meh but the story is quite good. That's cool too, you don't have to be talented with words to tell a good story. And he told a good story.

I will see the movie for sure, even if it deviates from the book so much so that TWO MAIN CHARACTERS are left out, and that Irks me.

About the story though, one thing I am not 100% clear on is the avatar situation. Can someone explain it to me? Here is what I think I know:

In the oasis you can have any avatar you want. But, for example it can be any size? Can it be as big as a planet? And in school,due to their rules, you have to have a regular, scaled to human size avatar? Is that correct? And you only have one avatar and if that gets killed it cannot be resurrected. That avatar, or account, is dead. So the avatar is linked to your account and can't be changed. But when they were dancing in the party the narrator talks about how everyone was morphing their avatars into different shapes.

I'm not sure I fully understand the avatar and oasis account situation.

RickJay
07-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Wow, that was a terrible trailer.

The trailer gave me no idea whatsoever what it was I should be going to see; there's a kid in a dystopian future, okay, and then - it's Tron meets Speed Racer. CGI explosions! CGI explosions are in every movie now.

You'd never know from the trailer that there's a reasonably interesting story in there.

Thudlow Boink
07-24-2017, 12:18 PM
The trailer gave me no idea whatsoever what it was I should be going to seeWas the trailer aimed at people who have read the book (or at least have a general idea what it's about), or at people who have not?

Raguleader
07-24-2017, 12:23 PM
I will see the movie for sure, even if it deviates from the book so much so that TWO MAIN CHARACTERS are left out, and that Irks me.

I'd hardly call Daito and Shoto main characters, given that they only show up every so often throughout the book. The only main character for certain is Wade, since the entire story is from his point of view. Everyone else is supporting cast at best.

As far as the trailer is concerned, it's pretty clear it was meant to hype up the adaptation for fans of the book, who are already familiar with the story. Recent articles have mentioned that the movie is going to make a fair number of changes from the book for various reasons, so they're probably keeping the story itself close to their chest for now.

Compare to the first trailer for The Force Awakens, which revealed literally nothing about the movie except that it was going to be a Star Wars movie, while later trailers went into more detail.

RickJay
07-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Was the trailer aimed at people who have read the book (or at least have a general idea what it's about), or at people who have not?
If the former, that's an absolutely stupid trailer. People who liked the book don't need it to be sold to them.

Tangent
07-24-2017, 03:36 PM
It's the Comic Con teaser trailer--for an audience likely familiar with the book already (and of course to generate some buzz with a larger audience). I'm sure there will be a more expository trailer later to give those unfamiliar with the story a better idea of what it's about.

Alessan
07-24-2017, 03:43 PM
If the former, that's an absolutely stupid trailer. People who liked the book don't need it to be sold to them.

Cut them some slack - they probably haven't even finished shooting yet, let alone do much work on the special effects. The trailer was probably the best they could do with what little footage they had ready.

epbrown01
07-24-2017, 03:43 PM

There was a LOT of criticism about Daisho when the book came out. Two Japanese
characters whose avatars are samurai and talk about honor in every scene? They're pretty stereotypical and one-note, and I'm betting the studio thought there'd be some backlash.

The trailer gave me no idea whatsoever what it was I should be going to see; there's a kid in a dystopian future, okay, and then - it's Tron meets Speed Racer. CGI explosions! CGI explosions are in every movie now.

We're over six months from release. Typically, the earliest trailers just show scenes from the film to build intrigue/excitement, and about three months out from release they add a narrative and introduce characters.

A good example is the Thor:Ragnarok trailer we got three months ago (pretty much random fighting and shouting), compared to the one released last weekend.

epbrown01
07-24-2017, 03:56 PM
About the story though, one thing I am not 100% clear on is the avatar situation. Can someone explain it to me? Here is what I think I know:

In the oasis you can have any avatar you want. But, for example it can be any size? Can it be as big as a planet? And in school,due to their rules, you have to have a regular, scaled to human size avatar? Is that correct? And you only have one avatar and if that gets killed it cannot be resurrected. That avatar, or account, is dead. So the avatar is linked to your account and can't be changed. But when they were dancing in the party the narrator talks about how everyone was morphing their avatars into different shapes.

I'm not sure I fully understand the avatar and oasis account situation.

You understand it, but you're not thinking it through. You're a newbie and create a planet-size avatar - and then? You're a "low level wimpazoid" as Art3mis would say. To make the climb to 99 you need to go on quests and collect artifacts, maybe fight in the gladiator arenas - except you can't because you're an easily killed version of Galactus that won't fit in a teleportation booth, on a ship, or in any of the environments designed for quest.

Bear in mind that that most of the people in Oasis stay on the initial world, a non-PvP zone where they can live glamorous lives as idealized versions of themselves without being harmed.

Tom Tildrum
07-24-2017, 04:22 PM
It's the Comic Con teaser trailer--for an audience likely familiar with the book already (and of course to generate some buzz with a larger audience). I'm sure there will be a more expository trailer later to give those unfamiliar with the story a better idea of what it's about.

There will be a whole stack of trailers.

lisiate
07-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Huh, I only finished the book last week and they're making a movie already? Cool, although I'm not sure what that race is all about.

lisiate
07-24-2017, 06:53 PM
There will be a whole stack of trailers.

Some of which may be explosive even.

Isamu
07-24-2017, 07:52 PM
You understand it, but you're not thinking it through. You're a newbie and create a planet-size avatar - and then? You're a "low level wimpazoid" as Art3mis would say. To make the climb to 99 you need to go on quests and collect artifacts, maybe fight in the gladiator arenas - except you can't because you're an easily killed version of Galactus that won't fit in a teleportation booth, on a ship, or in any of the environments designed for quest.

Bear in mind that that most of the people in Oasis stay on the initial world, a non-PvP zone where they can live glamorous lives as idealized versions of themselves without being harmed.

OK thanks! So can you morph your avatar like when they were dancing? Or was that just a special feature of the party space?

Saltire
07-24-2017, 08:30 PM
I want to be able to watch this movie in full VR.

Tangent
07-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Here's the SD Comic Con panel for the movie, including Spielberg, Cline, and a few of the lead actors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WITnflP9lhc

Nothing very spoilery, so not much concerning the plot. Spielberg has said that he left out most references to his own movies (though of course he was producer on BTTF).

Isamu
07-24-2017, 09:23 PM

How so?

Jack Burden
07-24-2017, 10:07 PM

Hmmm, there's at least one other Matthew Broderick film that is far more critical.

Also just noticed that Ready Player One in my kindle library is no longer the familiar red cover with yellow block lettering; the cover is now the picture of the stacks from this trailer with white block lettering.

Isamu
07-25-2017, 01:38 AM
Yeah they need to get War Games before Ferris Bueller's Day Off, at least if they care about being true to the source material (which they do not in any way appear to care about as you can see in the handy graphic below).

Here is the source material:X <---------------------------------far distance----------------------------------- keep going -----------------------more -----------bit more-----------------------------> Trailer

Isamu
07-25-2017, 02:23 AM
There was a LOT of criticism about Daisho when the book came out. Two Japanese
characters whose avatars are samurai and talk about honor in every scene? They're pretty stereotypical and one-note, and I'm betting the studio thought there'd be some backlash..

Yes, they were a bit one-note in the book. But what's wrong with samurai avatars? That is exactly what a lot of Japanese boys would do. They could lose a lot of the lame dialogue though, I agree.

Isamu
07-25-2017, 02:25 AM
Also does anyone else think that guy talking to Lara Croft near the cars is Master Chief from Halo!?! Hope so.

Ike Witt
07-25-2017, 06:49 AM
In the linked trailer there is a QR code on the hood of a car at the 1:53 mark. I understand it goes to a IOI page but I can't get the link to scan.

Raguleader
07-25-2017, 07:01 AM
Yeah they need to get War Games before Ferris Bueller's Day Off, at least if they care about being true to the source material (which they do not in any way appear to care about as you can see in the handy graphic below).

Here is the source material:X <---------------------------------far distance----------------------------------- keep going -----------------------more -----------bit more-----------------------------> Trailer

Someone should get a hold of this Ernest Cline guy they got butchering the script and tell him to stop messing with the author's vison. :D

Alessan
07-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Honestly? Spielberg is a better director than Cline is a writer. He can do what he wants.

Raguleader
07-25-2017, 07:43 AM
True enough. Ready Player One was an amazing experience. Armada was less so.

RickJay
07-25-2017, 01:56 PM
Honestly? Spielberg is a better director than Cline is a writer. He can do what he wants.
Given that Spielberg made "Jaws," "Munich," and "Catch Me If You Can," he is in fact living proof that a filmmaker can improve upon the work of an author.

Mahaloth
07-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Given that Spielberg made "Jaws," "Munich," and "Catch Me If You Can," he is in fact living proof that a filmmaker can improve upon the work of an author.

I'd go further. I think his Jurassic Park is better than the book. So is Minority Report(which is a neat, but not great, story).

Then again, Tintin was less than its source and even he could not save Crystal Skull from its bad story(though I actually like both of these movies).

epbrown01
07-25-2017, 02:34 PM
Yes, they were a bit one-note in the book. But what's wrong with samurai avatars? That is exactly what a lot of Japanese boys would do. They could lose a lot of the lame dialogue though, I agree.

I'm not so sure about the samurai choice. I'd think Japanese versions of Wade (obsessed with the 80/90s due to the egg hunt) would choose early anime/manga characters or be some sort of techno-samurai. A sword-wielding schoolgirl would be more likely.

Then there's the issue of making one character black, overweight, and a lesbian. I'm curious which aspect they drop for the movie - knowing Hollywood, I predict she's now thin. (That was a twist for me, btw - I thought Arty was black).

Someone should get a hold of this Ernest Cline guy they got butchering the script and tell him to stop messing with the author's vision. :D

You see in the credits where it's Ernest Cline and Zak Penn? I'm guessing that Cline wrote the initial draft to make the book somewhat filmable, after which Spielberg and a professional screenwriter had their way with it - which I'm not saying is a bad way to go. I couldn't finish Armada.

Wednesday Evening
07-25-2017, 02:53 PM
I am so excited for the movie! I was a teenager in the 80s so I am looking forward to a fun romp with lots of 80s nostalgia.

I'd recommend it to anyone - it's a quick, fun read, and even if you know nothing about 80s culture, the book goes into exhaustive detail. It doesn't stand up to re-reading; Cline's not that great a writer overall and all that detail bogs it down the next time through.

This is spot on. I thought it was amazing after the first read but the second read wasn't nearly as satisfying. I still think it is a fun book though. My 13-year-old video-game-obsessed son adores it and has read it over and over.

Driver8
07-25-2017, 03:27 PM
I sort of remember enjoying the book, but not being amazingly engaged with it.

This trailer looks really underwhelming to me. I'm actually surprised to know that it's Spielberg. I think of him as a talented craftsman with a bunch of interesting movies under his belt. But the action scenes in this trailer look interchangeable with every other action movie coming out right now. They are very busy and physically implausible, and it feels like it's trying to grab my attention by being very flashy and loud. In the end it just seems lifeless and flat, like a Michael Bay movie that's maybe had just a little less cocaine.

(Yes I know physical implausibility shouldn't matter in a virtual world, but in my opinion that doesn't make it more compelling to watch).

If I wanted some 80s nostalgia, I wouldn't mind if they adopted some old school film making too. Spielberg *is* capable of much more. I don't think the skill is lost, I've seen some pretty good recent movies (Dunkirk and The Big Sick) in recent weeks with skillful craft being displayed by all involved.

Tangent
07-25-2017, 05:49 PM
You see in the credits where it's Ernest Cline and Zak Penn? I'm guessing that Cline wrote the initial draft to make the book somewhat filmable, after which Spielberg and a professional screenwriter had their way with it - which I'm not saying is a bad way to go.

That sounds accurate based on this interview from Wired with Cline that was published when the book first came out.

Wired: You essentially sold the book and the movie rights at the same time, right?

Cline: Yeah, within like the span of 48 hours. There was a bidding war.
Wired: Whatís the status of the movie?

Cline: I got to write the first draft of the screenplay. I had to start on that right after I finished the edits on the book and turned those in to my editor at Random House. I handed in the book and that same week I had to start on the screenplay for Warner Bros. and they wanted me to completely rework the book into a giant summer Hollywood action movie, which was like the hardest writing job of my life.

Theyíre using the draft of the screenplay that I wrote to find a director now. When the director comes on board itíll either be a writer/director or that director will hire a writer to continue developing it with the studio. So Iím done.

https://www.wired.com/2011/08/ernie-cline-ready-player-one/

RickJay
07-26-2017, 10:42 AM
I'd go further. I think his Jurassic Park is better than the book.
I think there's a strong argument there. While I'd have liked to see more people get eaten, "Jurassic Park" is a landmark film, one of the most influential movies ever made. The book is just another paperback.

G0sp3l
07-26-2017, 10:49 AM
I read somewhere that the Iron Giant is going to play a large role, which makes me think that Ultraman and/or MechaGodzilla are out. Which makes me :mad:

I've never seen the Iron Giant and could care less about it BUT I love Godzilla and kaiju. Except Pacific Rim, that movie sucked.

Isamu
07-27-2017, 11:34 PM
Getting back to the trailer...Freddy Krueger brought knives to a gunfight and gets owned in short order. That was a poor choice of avatar, Freddy. Similarly with Batman riding a giant scorpian - cool as fuck but an easy target for ranged weapons. You'd have to choose your avatar very carefully, -- I mean I'm not even sure that Freddy could even hold a Luger (to turn 'em in to spaghetti) given his hands.

What avatar would you choose? I would def want more than one set of arms. Also 360 degree vision would be a plus. Wings?

epbrown01
07-27-2017, 11:59 PM
What avatar would you choose? I would def want more than one set of arms. Also 360 degree vision would be a plus. Wings?

As we see Harley and Deathstroke in the trailer, it seems comics heroes are do-able for avatars, so I'd likely go that route.

Isamu
07-28-2017, 02:51 AM
I'd want something like Goddess Beth, with weapons in each hand and a built in mini nuke that detonates if I die.

Jack Burden
07-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Getting back to the trailer...Freddy Krueger brought knives to a gunfight and gets owned in short order. That was a poor choice of avatar, Freddy. Similarly with Batman riding a giant scorpian - cool as fuck but an easy target for ranged weapons. You'd have to choose your avatar very carefully, -- I mean I'm not even sure that Freddy could even hold a Luger (to turn 'em in to spaghetti) given his hands.

In the scene with the scorpion, on a frame breakdown you can see it killing an ostrich and turning it into an egg, so speculation is this is part of the Joust challenge, though obviously very different from the book version.

G0sp3l
07-28-2017, 11:20 AM

If I can get any avatar I want? Tiamat (though I don't usually play females) or War Machine (way cooler than Iron Man).

Depends on if I'm in win at all costs mode or playing for the challenge.

Isamu
07-30-2017, 08:41 PM
If I can get any avatar I want? Tiamat (though I don't usually play females) or War Machine (way cooler than Iron Man).

Depends on if I'm in win at all costs mode or playing for the challenge.

Having a think about it again, your own avatar wouldn't come with any special skills or abilities, it would just look how you wanted it to look. You would have to level up to increase your hit points and abilities or acquire weapons by either buying them or completing quests. Having a giant robot companion or giant scorpion is just like having a weapon. So the Tiamat wouldn't be able to breathe fire unless you bought a mod for it and that would not be cheap. I think that's how the world works.

G0sp3l
07-31-2017, 11:47 AM
Having a think about it again, your own avatar wouldn't come with any special skills or abilities, it would just look how you wanted it to look. You would have to level up to increase your hit points and abilities or acquire weapons by either buying them or completing quests. Having a giant robot companion or giant scorpion is just like having a weapon. So the Tiamat wouldn't be able to breathe fire unless you bought a mod for it and that would not be cheap. I think that's how the world works.

In the book world, there's no way in hell I could afford to build Tiamat, not rich enough or a consistent enough gamer. But as a Sixer... ;)

Bricker
07-31-2017, 04:08 PM

Bizarre brain fart there. Meant "War Games."

Raguleader
08-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Bizarre brain fart there. Meant "War Games."

Although it would be kind of funny if they just swapped out for another one of his films from that era.

oft wears hats
08-01-2017, 10:53 AM
I enjoyed the book and audio book, and am looking forward to the movie. This teaser trailer didn't really work for me though, for many of the reasons already stated. Hopefully the movie itself will do the book justice, not that I'm particularly worried. I'm a fan of Spielberg and I don't think he'll screw this up.

Although it would be kind of funny if they just swapped out for another one of his films from that era.

They very well might, either for stylistic reasons or because of rights limitations.

Barbarian
08-01-2017, 09:06 PM
In the book world, there's no way in hell I could afford to build Tiamat, not rich enough or a consistent enough gamer. But as a Sixer... ;)

As a sixer you wouldn't be allowed to look like Tiamat :P

Mahaloth
08-27-2017, 01:08 PM
I think there's a strong argument there. While I'd have liked to see more people get eaten, "Jurassic Park" is a landmark film, one of the most influential movies ever made. The book is just another paperback.

I'd actually say Congo is a better book. But a much, much worse movie.

I read somewhere that the Iron Giant is going to play a large role, which makes me think that Ultraman and/or MechaGodzilla are out. Which makes me :mad:

I've never seen the Iron Giant and could care less about it BUT I love Godzilla and kaiju. Except Pacific Rim, that movie sucked.

Iron Giant makes sense to me if they are changing things. I could live with Iron Giant vs....well, hopefully still Godzilla.

And it's "couldn't care less".

Raguleader
08-28-2017, 01:55 PM

I always just interpret "I could care less" as sarcasm and move on, much as I would with any other obvious demonstration of sarcasm.

Shoeless
08-28-2017, 03:00 PM
You guys are all focusing on the wrong thing. How much RUSH music is going to be in the movie? (Hopefully something besides just "Tom Sawyer"...)

Raguleader
08-30-2017, 09:03 AM
How much Rush, you ask?
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45SG2N6MMcg)

G0sp3l
08-30-2017, 04:15 PM
I'd actually say Congo is a better book. But a much, much worse movie.

Iron Giant makes sense to me if they are changing things. I could live with Iron Giant vs....well, hopefully still Godzilla.

I'm ambivalent about the Iron Giant, so I could care less, if perhaps I hated it, then I couldn't care less.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. At least until I learn to proofread!

Isamu
08-30-2017, 08:04 PM
I'm ambivalent about the Iron Giant, so I could care less, if perhaps I hated it, then I couldn't care less.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. At least until I learn to proofread!

No, ambivalence is the state of not caring at all. So thus you couldn't care less. Hating is a form of caring. If you hate it being in the movie then you care about it.

G0sp3l
08-31-2017, 04:09 PM
No, ambivalence is the state of not caring at all. So thus you couldn't care less. Hating is a form of caring. If you hate it being in the movie then you care about it.

:( There was a time when I could win an argument. November 13, 2008.

swampspruce
08-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Day before the wedding, perchance? :D I'm looking forward to this movie as a hardcore 80s nerd. I think I'd take Elric of Melnibone or The Grey Mouser as an avatar.

Jophiel
09-02-2017, 09:57 AM
For what it's worth, fans of the book talking about the trailer got me to read (ok, listen to) the book. Just finished last night and now I'm very interested in seeing the movie.

Jack Burden
09-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Day before the wedding, perchance? :D I'm looking forward to this movie as a hardcore 80s nerd. I think I'd take Elric of Melnibone or The Grey Mouser as an avatar.

Hmmm, Stormbringer and Mournblade would definitely be artifacts, but Elric would certainly be recognizable enough to show your nerd cred to other Gunters. The thing with avatars is they're just skins, they don't actually do anything other than tell people how much money you've spent on them.

G0sp3l
09-05-2017, 06:27 PM

Even, before the "big day" I was just going through motions. Wasn't it that Don guy that said "arguing with a wife is like tilting at windmills!"?

Tangent
12-10-2017, 12:46 PM
New trailer!

https://youtu.be/cSp1dM2Vj48

There are some better--if brief--shots of some of the other characters (like Artemis) than the first teaser trailer showed. Still kind of a quick mix of a lot of different scenes out of context. Definitely showing off the visuals.

Ike Witt
12-10-2017, 02:14 PM
New trailer!

https://youtu.be/cSp1dM2Vj48

I am so excited for this movie.

Mahaloth
12-10-2017, 02:22 PM
I am so excited for this movie.

Wary, but hopeful here.

The studio must be decently happy with what Spielberg turned in. I think it has been in the can for awhile with zero changes being made to it before release.

Jophiel
12-10-2017, 03:35 PM
I see Blizzard got their advertising check in there with an Overwatch character at 2:05

Alessan
12-10-2017, 03:39 PM
I'm just happy Spielberg is doing science fiction/action again.

Blue Blistering Barnacle
12-10-2017, 03:58 PM
nm

Tangent
12-10-2017, 05:40 PM
I see Blizzard got their advertising check in there with an Overwatch character at 2:05

It'll be interesting to see what other 'current' pop culture stuff makes an appearance in the Oasis. While the story makes it clear that much of the virtual world--and especially the quest laid out by the creator--is heavily influenced by 80s games and movies, there's no reason not to see references to other decades.

Jophiel
12-10-2017, 05:49 PM
there's no reason not to see references to other decades.
I'm not really upset by it or anything. It just stuck out and, unlike the retro stuff, felt very much like "Hey, play Overwatch!" Especially its inclusion in the movie trailer.

Sir T-Cups
12-11-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm not really upset by it or anything. It just stuck out and, unlike the retro stuff, felt very much like "Hey, play Overwatch!" Especially its inclusion in the movie trailer.

Probably less "Hey, play Overwtch!" and more "I understood that reference!"

The 80s references will probably be lost on a lot of the younger generation, so instead of going straight-up 80s like the book, they'll have the Delorean speeding around next to one of the cars from Fast & Furious or one of the bikes from Halo

Jophiel
12-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Probably less "Hey, play Overwtch!" and more "I understood that reference!"
In this world of slow lingering shots on Coke cans and Audi grills, I suspect you're being a bit too generous.

Tangent
12-11-2017, 11:07 AM
It doesn't seem that egregious to me--it's a distinctive looking character, easily recognized in a crowd. A perfect type of '2010s' character to show up (and stand out) in a brief cameo in what looks like a large battle sequence with thousands of participants.

Anyway, on to something different in the trailer...

I'll spoiler this just in case, for those who haven't read the book. Regarding one type of 80s character/reference that some have been wondering whether it/they would show up:
There is a Gundam briefly near the end of the trailer! I think maybe it's Aech's, based on a character chart for the novel I saw somewhere.

Jophiel
12-11-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm just happy Spielberg is doing science fiction/action again.
I read that Spielberg made a conscious choice to keep his own properties largely out of the film aside from a few obvious exceptions, such as the Delorean. He felt that there was more than enough 80s material to work with that he didn't need to fanboy his own material. So I guess no Indiana Jones/Goonies/Gremlins/ET references. I don't recall if any of that was in the book anyway.

Mahaloth
12-11-2017, 11:28 AM
I read that Spielberg made a conscious choice to keep his own properties largely out of the film aside from a few obvious exceptions, such as the Delorean. He felt that there was more than enough 80s material to work with that he didn't need to fanboy his own material. So I guess no Indiana Jones/Goonies/Gremlins/ET references. I don't recall if any of that was in the book anyway.

Yes, nothing he directed appears in the movie, but the Delorean is from a movie he produced and is pretty cool/important, so he kept it.

Here is a list of Spielberg things in the book. (https://www.phactual.com/all-the-spielberg-references-from-ready-player-one/)

Jophiel
12-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Here is a list of Spielberg things in the book. (https://www.phactual.com/all-the-spielberg-references-from-ready-player-one/)
That actually seems surprisingly light and superficial. Which probably explains why I couldn't recall anything off the top of my head if it's all passing references like "Also, we did a Goonies mission" and calling someone "Dr. Jones". I would have guessed that there was more stuff and I was just forgetting it given the 80's relevance of Spielberg in general.

I guess no one wants a flying bicycle as their ride in Oasis :p

Sir T-Cups
12-11-2017, 01:27 PM
In this world of slow lingering shots on Coke cans and Audi grills, I suspect you're being a bit too generous.

But it's fitting completely within the aesthetic of the movie. This isn't Hawaii 5-0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE) we're talking about, it's closer to having a Doritos logo on the outfield wall of MLB 2K18. Sure, Pepsi paid for it to be there, but there are adverts on the outfield wall IRL too.

It's more natural.

Jophiel
12-11-2017, 01:54 PM
We'll have to leave that as a matter of opinion. It's a hard sell to tell me something is "more natural" after it just stuck out for me like a sore thumb and it struck me enough for me to comment on it.

But if I can live with lingering, loving vehicle shots in the Marvel movies, I'll survive this as well.

Sir T-Cups
12-11-2017, 02:39 PM
We'll have to leave that as a matter of opinion. It's a hard sell to tell me something is "more natural" after it just stuck out for me like a sore thumb and it struck me enough for me to comment on it.

But if I can live with lingering, loving vehicle shots in the Marvel movies, I'll survive this as well.

I guess I'm just confused why in a movie that's almost literally about pop culture references, a pop culture reference leads you to think it means "sales!" more than the others. Overwatch girl is next to Chun-Li, does that not say "buy Street Fighter?"

Jophiel
12-11-2017, 02:55 PM
Overwatch girl is next to Chun-Li, does that not say "buy Street Fighter?"
Chun-Li was introduced in 1991, falling into the tail end of the fandom period evoked by the story (and Street Fighter itself was from 1987).

Overwatch Girl is a product of 2016.

Kind of a weak comparison. Ready Player One isn't just generically about pop culture, it's about pop culture from a a particular period in time which is a major facet of the book. That all these guys live and breathe the 80's (and late 70s/early 90s) as a result of Halliday's fascination with that period.

Jophiel
12-11-2017, 03:05 PM
In fact, according to this list (https://www.shmoop.com/ready-player-one/allusions.html), Ready Player One references Street Fighter II in the story. So a Chun-Li appearance actually makes sense.

Alessan
12-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Kind of a weak comparison. Ready Player One isn't just generically about pop culture, it's about pop culture from a a particular period in time which is a major facet of the book. That all these guys live and breathe the 80's (and late 70s/early 90s) as a result of Halliday's fascination with that period.

Sure, the main protagonists are obsessed with the period, but it's supposed to be a big virtual world out there, and plenty of other players have to have different obsessions. It would be weird if everything there was from 1975-1995.

Sir T-Cups
12-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Chun-Li was introduced in 1991, falling into the tail end of the fandom period evoked by the story (and Street Fighter itself was from 1987).

Overwatch Girl is a product of 2016.

Ahh ok. So it's the modernity that bugs you. Gotcha.

epbrown01
12-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Remember that the OASIS encompasses more than just the 80s - Halliday was obsessed with the 80s so that became the focus of gunters, but pretty much everything pop culture should or could be in there. Wade mentions having a thing for Youtube videos of girls playing the ukulele, which is a later phenomenon.

Jophiel
12-11-2017, 06:48 PM
Ahh ok. So it's the modernity that bugs you. Gotcha.
Yeah. It sticks out like a big ad because it's anachronistic for the plot. I would imagine there's be D&D references in there and D&D is still a thing you can buy but it wasn't 25 years late to the party.
Sure, the main protagonists are obsessed with the period, but it's supposed to be a big virtual world out there, and plenty of other players have to have different obsessions. It would be weird if everything there was from 1975-1995.
But the Gunters themselves were all about the 80s to the exclusion of anything else because taking time to get into something else would have taken them out of the hunt. Somewhere out there was no doubt Westboros and Pandora and Brony Island and Twilight-Land and Harry Potter-verse, etc but those were never part of the story (despite all having an established and deep fandom when RPO was written) because that's not who the Gunters were and the book was a story about the Gunter race for the egg. A Gunter who ran around dressed like Harry Potter and riding a broom would have probably been laughed out of the community as a huge poser and wannabe.

But I suppose we'll see when the movie comes out if we're looking at a couple stick-out sore thumb moments or an honest collect of fan items from across the decades.

Ike Witt
12-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Wade mentions having a thing for Youtube videos of girls playing the ukulele, which is a later phenomenon.

Grace Vanderwaal didn't show up until after the book was released....

Raguleader
12-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Also, was it only Gunters who turned up for the big siege and battle in the third act? I seem to recall that a pretty significant cross-section of the Oasis turned out just because of what a huge bunch of pricks the Sixers were being. I could see a crotchety Millennial turning up to take up the Good Old Fight(TM) against the Corporate goons.

Jophiel
12-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Also, was it only Gunters who turned up for the big siege and battle in the third act? I seem to recall that a pretty significant cross-section of the Oasis turned out just because of what a huge bunch of pricks the Sixers were being.
Could be. Guess it depends on when they show up in the film. I think it'll really depend more on whether or not there's a whole bunch of different fan stuff represented or if it's 99% 80s stuff with a couple stick-out modern things thrown in and fan wanked as "Well, there'd be other stuff in the OASIS even if, bizarrely, no one else was there except these two contemporary guys".

epbrown01
12-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Also, was it only Gunters who turned up for the big siege and battle in the third act? I seem to recall that a pretty significant cross-section of the Oasis turned out just because of what a huge bunch of pricks the Sixers were being. I could see a crotchety Millennial turning up to take up the Good Old Fight(TM) against the Corporate goons.

In the book, it was more than just gunters since the word went out to the entire OASIS, with even the real-world media picking up the story. There had to be tons of looky-loos along with the gunters. It was less about other egg hunters showing up and more about everyone wanting to keep IOI from winning showing up.

I'm hoping they leave in "knavery."

Jophiel
03-06-2018, 09:45 AM
Ready Player One movie posters (http://www.slashfilm.com/fantastic-ready-player-one-posters/) based on classic posters. Mostly from the 80s but a couple outliers (Bullitt, Matrix, Iron Giant). These are official posters but I guess not widely distributed (yet?)

Tangent
03-06-2018, 11:30 AM
^Clever with the Iron Giant poster.

Jophiel
03-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Early reviews seem to land somewhere between "It's alright; pretty empty though" and "It's pretty good; sort of empty though". Fan response to the early screening at Southwest Film Festival was positive (with the obvious caveat that these were people jazzed up to see it).

Sounds like it'll be largely enjoyable, nothing life changing and at least not "This is the worst mess to be spat at a screen this decade" or anything.

Sir T-Cups
03-12-2018, 03:41 PM
I imagine this movie is going to be one of those movies that's exactly what it is.

It's a nostalgic trip down memory lane with cool visuals from a director who knows how to direct a good time. It's not an Oscar movie, it's not a life-altering experience, it's just a good time at the movies remembering shit from your youth.

Mahaloth
03-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Sounds like it'll be largely enjoyable, nothing life changing and at least not "This is the worst mess to be spat at a screen this decade" or anything.

I'm mainly interested because it is Spielberg and I think he doesn't often do bad movies, even if they have their flaws.

Here is a review of the movie. They seem to think it's: Pretty good. (https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/12/17109960/ready-player-one-movie-review-steven-spielberg-ernest-cline-tye-sheridan-sxsw-2018)

I won't rush to the theater. Blu-ray? Absolutely. In fact, I'll eagerly be awaiting it.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.