PDA

View Full Version : Was Doc in BTTF supposed to be a drunk?

grude
03-30-2015, 02:16 AM
I know he gets drunk in the third one, but he was kinda devastated emotionally.

Was watching a loose parody show called Rick and Morty clearly based on the characters from BTTF, and they have the Doc expy constantly vomiting and slugging from a flask.

bucketybuck
03-30-2015, 02:28 AM

But in the third one he didn't even touch that drink until Marty came in, and then the first swig knocked him clean out. Hard to be a drunk when you can't even taste whiskey without passing out.

friedo
03-30-2015, 03:09 AM
He just likes to hold it.

Hail Ants
03-30-2015, 08:39 AM

Was watching a loose parody show called Rick and Morty clearly based on the characters from BTTF, and they have the Doc expy constantly vomiting and slugging from a flask.Although often drunk Rick isn't constantly 'vomiting', just belching.

And Doc from the BTTF films was most definitely not a drunk. He was an eccentric and a recluse, but a very decent guy.

Quimby
03-30-2015, 09:13 AM
The movies definitely hint at a very sad story for Doc Brown. He was born into money, lived on a huge estate which he had to sell piece by piece so by the time 1985 rolls around he lives in what used to be his garage. No friends except his dog and the kid who comes to hang around.

And that's before he had knowledge of the future and had to live a lie for 30 years pretending he wasn't just going through motions until the day in Lone Pines Mall. What torture is that like?

leahcim
03-30-2015, 09:45 AM
The movies definitely hint at a very sad story for Doc Brown. He was born into money, lived on a huge estate which he had to sell piece by piece so by the time 1985 rolls around he lives in what used to be his garage. No friends except his dog and the kid who comes to hang around.

It has been suggested that the event that caused Doc Brown to come up with the idea for the flux capacitor was actually a failed suicide attempt (with a slipped and hit my head cover story).

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.