PDA

View Full Version : What is a bad movie that you loved?

Anon01245
03-30-2015, 03:26 PM
What were some terrible films that were terrible but you still enjoyed them anyway?

For me: I really liked John Carter.

Rick Kitchen
03-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Howard the Duck

Sorry, I was a Howard fan from the comic books and I still am.

Chefguy
03-30-2015, 03:34 PM
Most of the Bruce Lee films.

Sir T-Cups
03-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Joe Dirt.

I thought it had a lot of funny parts and an exceedingly sweet story

kayaker
03-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Dead Man. I loved it and recommended it to a bunch of people who all hated it. Meanwhile I rewatch every so often. Define "bad movie" though; maybe my friends don't recognize fine cinema.

G0sp3l
03-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Alien: Resurrection
Dirty Work
Event Horizon
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse (the rest of the movies truly,truly suck)

Alessan
03-30-2015, 05:18 PM
I don't like any bad movies, because if I enjoy a movie, that means it's good.

burpo the wonder mutt
03-30-2015, 05:23 PM
The Golden Child

typoink
03-30-2015, 05:25 PM
My vote goes to Escape from LA. I think it's one of the rare instances where somebody intentionally made a "self-parody, in-on-the-joke" movie and it actually worked. It doesn't hold up as well as Escape from New York, but they do make a solid companion set to show off the cheesy action movie cliches of the 80s and 90s, respectively.

P-man
03-30-2015, 05:25 PM
1941, due mostly to Slim Pickens' performance.

janeslogin
03-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Ebert said Pink Flamingos was undeserving of being called a move. I wouldn't call it good. Perhaps it is bad. But, It is one of the few I ever purchased to watch again and again.

teela brown
03-30-2015, 06:16 PM
Tank Girl
Little Nicky

G0sp3l
03-30-2015, 06:28 PM
My vote goes to Escape from LA. I think it's one of the rare instances where somebody intentionally made a "self-parody, in-on-the-joke" movie and it actually worked. It doesn't hold up as well as Escape from New York, but they do make a solid companion set to show off the cheesy action movie cliches of the 80s and 90s, respectively.

Watching Kurt Russell play basketball alone is worth it. :D

I haven't been able to see him as a viable action-hero since.

Shagnasty
03-30-2015, 06:36 PM
The Golden Child

That one is supposed to be bad? I haven't seen it in years but I liked it too. I am one of the few people that saw Bill Cosby's Leonard Part 6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Part_6) in the theater in the 80's. I thought it was very odd at the time but liked it OK.

Master Wang-Ka
03-30-2015, 06:56 PM
I have a great fondness for Plan Nine From Outer Space, and make a point of watching it at least once a year or so. I like Robot Monster, too, although nowhere near as much.

Shame is an interesting film, in that it LOOKS incredibly cheap and tacky by today's standards, but is actually a pretty good movie, and perhaps the best thing William Shatner ever did.

And periodically, I have to break out my copy of Blood Freak, simply because I must, for the umpteenth time, study this insane thing and wonder what kind of a diseased mind could come up with the idea of a kind of marijuana that turns you into a wereturkey who must drink the blood of other drug abusers to survive.

Then again, I often watch really bad old movies simply to look at the costumes and locations. She Freak was filmed in a town that looks exactly like the one I grew up in. Another one is Beware: The Blob!, because it's great for games of "Spot The Actor," and it's just so, so seventies.

burpo the wonder mutt
03-30-2015, 07:15 PM
That one is supposed to be bad? I haven't seen it in years but I liked it too. I am one of the few people that saw Bill Cosby's Leonard Part 6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Part_6) in the theater in the 80's. I thought it was very odd at the time but liked it OK.

Hold on to your hat: Roger Ebert liked GC! A lot! Maltin hated it, but he hates everything, Numsie.

Chronos
03-30-2015, 07:20 PM
The only thing bad about John Carter was the budget, and as an audience member who doesn't own stock in Disney, I don't see why I need to care about that. It wasn't a great movie, mind you, but it was pretty good.

The Fifth Element, on the other hand, was genuinely bad, but that doesn't stop it from being a lot of fun.

Trinopus
03-30-2015, 07:25 PM
I watched (at home, on rented disks) John Carter and Oz: The Great and Powerful as a double-feature, and enjoyed them both. Taken together, they provide an interesting contrast: the vast, wide, open, infinite expanses of Barsoom...and the tight, highly foreshortened 1930's style sets of Oz. Both are just plain fun, and both died like toads at the box-office. Ya never know.

PSXer
03-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Escape From LA

Charlie Wayne
03-30-2015, 07:33 PM
What were some terrible films that were terrible but you still enjoyed them anyway?

John Carter ...

I tried to watch it. I watched a few minutes but I couldn't stick with it and kept dropping off my attention and evetually ... I just couldn't keep up with it. I don't know why, but ... I just fell off and I couldn't manage to stay tuned to it. I don't know why.

What a piece of <blank>! I just couldn't stick with it. No way! I just lost it. Sorry. Fuck.

The parts it where it kept changing times and places were somewhat interesting. But ... eventually ... I had to just keep forcing myself. The long and short of it was that I just could not keep up. Sorry. I don't know what more to say.

What more can one say about something like that? I don't know. I just don't know. Oh fuck! What to do? What can I do?

The Tooth
03-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Highlander: Endgame. Although 'love' is a bit strong, I do enjoy watching Bruce Payne chew the scenery, chomp chomp chomp. And I understand Dune is not to everyone's taste, but that's one I really do love. It's among my favourites.

Julius Henry
03-30-2015, 07:52 PM
Mine go back quite a few years, but I see so few movies anymore, any answer I give about a movie would go back quite a few years.

My two favorite bad movies -- and they are bad -- would be All the Marbles, with Peter Falk serving as the manager for two women wrestlers, and The Legend of Billie Jean with Helen Slater not as Supergirl, yet still fighting for truth, justices, and all that jazz.

Qadgop the Mercotan
03-30-2015, 08:22 PM
Last action hero, which gets 37% on RottenTomatoes. I actually thought it was one of Arnie's best. An insightful parody of the genre, with wistful earnestness along with the betrayal of same, at its heart.

Mahaloth
03-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Daredevil, the original cut. I don't even like the director's cut, which really makes me nuts.

Many bad movies are funny, like Wicker Man(recent) or Battlefield Earth, but they don't really count.

blondebear
03-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Howard the DuckThat's the first one that came to mind. I was a back road somewhere and stopped in at a Gas-n-Go-type Mart--the cashier was watching Howard The Duck on a portable TV. What should've been a 10 minute stop lasted almost half an hour.

For me: I really liked John Carter.Me too. I think it's partly because of Lynn Colllins. :D

RealityChuck
03-30-2015, 09:18 PM
Alien from LA
The Day After Tomorrow
Tommy
The Last Action Hero (I love metafiction)

Honey
03-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Does Twister count as a bad movie? I love that movie, and will watch it every chance I get.

"Ya got full coverage on that truck?"
"Liability only"

Hee.

nearwildheaven
03-30-2015, 09:48 PM
The "Sharknado" movies. Part 2 was especially great because of all the 1980s celebrities who were extras; my favorite was ZZ Top on the subway. :p

Robot Arm
03-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Meet the Feebles

I'm not usually fan of graphic, shocking humor, but when it's behind-the-scenes with a theater troupe of puppets, there's something about the combination that makes me laugh. This is, essentially, an X-rated Muppet Show.

Morgyn
03-30-2015, 09:57 PM
Traxx

Also, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

Dale Sams
03-30-2015, 09:59 PM
I don't like any bad movies, because if I enjoy a movie, that means it's good.

Agreed. And I'll have reasons and am more than ready to defend with those reasons films that are often derided.

Admittedly, sometimes that defense may just be, "It was okay. It did nothing to offend me."( See The Happening) But then I've never been one to let gaping plot holes bother me. Even if it weren't an homage, the virus downloaded in Independence Day wouldn't bother me at all.

Rocketeer
03-30-2015, 10:20 PM
The Core is utterly preposterous from beginning to end, but I just love it. One thing it gets big points for, in my opinion, is...no, wait, two things it gets big points for are 1. Not mating the male and female leads at the end, and 2. Hanging a big ol' lampshade on the super-techno-stuff it needs to make the story work ("I call it 'unobtainium'."), and, no, wait, there were three things, and the third is 3. Letting Stanley Tucci overact most delightfully.

panache45
03-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Sins of the Fleshapoids
Ascension of the Demonoids

salinqmind
03-30-2015, 11:19 PM
The V.I.Ps, mainly starring Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. Liz looks like a mattress with a string tied around the middle. Burton looks drunk. Much angst and huffing and puffing as Liz tries to run off with her gigolo boyfriend, and there are several other sub-plots in the movie with some other, good actors.

The Oscar, a ludicrous rags to riches showbiz story about one Hymie Kelly. Starring Stephen Boyd and a whole lot of square 50's actors.

Diamond Head with Yvette Mimeux fighting her brother Charlton Heston, the Pineapple King of Hawaii, over her relationship with a 'native'

Smid
03-31-2015, 02:44 AM
Quite a few listed here are less heard of cult movies, I wouldn't count them as bad. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, for instance, a parody of bad action movies. Sure, not a great budget for the first one.

As for John Carter, that's only bad if you believe the critics and the box office are right. Same for Last Action Hero. Vastly underrated. Under that criteria, The Blues Brothers, Donnie Darko, Fight Club, Office Space, The Big leobowski, Shawshank Redemption, Bladerunner, Vertigo, Citizen Kane and Wizard of Oz are all bad movies.

I'm trying to think if I like an actual bad movie, per se. I quite like Happy Gilmore, which people would mark as bad because of Adam Sandler, though I'd argue that as his first movie at least had some merit.

Bad Boy Bubby. Well, hardly like it. There's scenes in the first 15 minutes that I don't like, so I skip that.

harwell
03-31-2015, 02:56 AM
Plan Nine from Outer Space.

Still the only dvd I've ever watched that, the moment it ended, I immediately watched again. So wondrously, tremendously, mind-bogglingly inept in every conceivable aspect of the motion-picture-making process that I was floored. Helpless with laughter throughout. Ed Wood, you RULE!

Ranchoth
03-31-2015, 05:47 AM
Eh, I grew up watching Monstervision on TNT—my definition of "bad" is kind of skewed. If a movie is entertaining, and honestly accomplishes what it sets out to do, I can easily love it. Even if the movie fails, but fails spectacularly enough, I can still easily get enough of a laugh out of it to consider it a favorite and an old friend.

I guess, really, my own "favorite" films that come close to what the OP has in mind are ones that I liked—at least well enough—but seem to get a baffling amount of vitriol from everyone else, from my point of view anyway. Daredevil, for one, as Mahaloth mentions. X3, The Star Wars prequels, GI Joe: The Movie (the 80s cartoon)—ah! Now that one might be the kicker. I've never heard of anyone else who unreservedly liked that one, including any of the production staff. I'd have thought there'd be more fans at the intersection of Lovecraftian/Howardian weird fiction, Japanese animation, and Reagan-era military sci-fi action. But, hell, I've never been able to bring myself to try cheese on an apple pie—who can say what combinations will or won't be appetizing to other people?

Oh, and my biggest problem with John Carter—aside from that marketing campaign? You spend a quarter of a billion dollars making the thing, and you can't tint the rocks and dirt a little pinker in post production? Or even just film someplace where they're already (https://catbirdinjordan.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/pb086328.jpg) red (http://www.myphotocreations.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/arizona-monument-photography.jpg)? Jeez.

solost
03-31-2015, 07:13 AM
"Red Dawn", the original, Patrick Swayze version. Just a masterpiece of late period Cold War paranoia propaganda. Whenever I find it on tv I have to watch it.

WOLVERIIIIINES!!

CalMeacham
03-31-2015, 07:19 AM
John Carter -- Bad??

as a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs, I loved John Carter. Great flick, and I'm sorry it didn't get the chance for the sequels. I would've loved John Carter and the Gods of Mars, dammit.

And don't complain about the budget -- despite what you may have been told or surmised, it didn't go over budget. See Michael Sellers' website, or his book John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood for more detail than you wanted to know.

Bad movies I love:

Starship Troopers -- I can't think of another movie where the gap -- scientific, authorial, philosophic, intelligence, whatever you want -- between the subject matter and the movie was so huge. The scientific inaccuracies of the movie were egregious! The utter lack of common sense by the characters was abysmal! The departure from Heinlein's narrative were unforgivable! The philosophical viewpoint was about 180 degrees from that of the book!

But it looks freakin' gorgeous on-screen, and it moves at lightspeed with utterly black comedy.

I also have a soft spot for the two "worst films", Robot Monster and Plan Nine from Outer Space. For one thing, they got made. Having helmed my own radio play production through the reefs of low budget production, costly facilities, and general apathy, I have to applaud any film that gets made. In addition, the films were ambitious on some points, and they look better than they have a right to -- at least it;'s not muddy color and rotten sound, like Attack of the Eye Creatures[/I] or Tales from the Past.

DCnDC
03-31-2015, 07:25 AM
Joe Dirt.

I thought it had a lot of funny parts and an exceedingly sweet story

I love Joe Dirt! I quote it all the time IRL, almost always to blank, confused stares, but I don't care!

I will contribute Freddy Got Fingered, and UHF. Both works of pure twisted genius in their own ways.

The Fast and the Furious movies are amazing examples of what they are; they're practically their own genre by now.

I really enjoyed MacGruber. I don't watch SNL so I wasn't familiar with the character, but this movie was right in my wheelhouse.

And then there is the king of terrible, awesome (or terribly awesome!) movies: Point Break.

Road House is almost as good, but lacks the Keanu Reeves element that would really push it over the shitty top.

Slithy Tove
03-31-2015, 07:35 AM
Sub-thread: "as long as X is in it, it's not totally bad."

x = Rutger Hauer

Horatio Hellpop
03-31-2015, 07:52 AM
The only thing bad about John Carter was the budget, and as an audience member who doesn't own stock in Disney, I don't see why I need to care about that.

I can think of a number of movies that would have been a lot better if they'd had more of a budget. Vibes, The Shadow, Daredevil, Evolution...

cmkeller
03-31-2015, 07:53 AM
Little Nicky is generally considered to be pretty bad, but I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

A lot of comic book fans hate the two Fantastic Four films, but I've been an FF fan in the comics from way, way back and I thought the films captured the essence of the main characters very well. The film version of Doom was bad (slightly better in the second movie than in the first) but I thought they were good FF movies.

Biggirl
03-31-2015, 07:53 AM
Hudson Hawk is a movie that many think is bad but it is not. I saw it at home, not at the theater and I could not understand why it was so reviled.

My children were at the right age for them to love horrible, awful movies made just for them. This includes the first Power Ranger movie, all the Surf Ninja movies, Blank Check. . . the list is very long and too painful to recount fully. But there was one movie on their "let's watch it again list that I didn't mind too much, Good Burger. This is mostly because of Kel Mitchell.

I wonder what happened to him. He made Mystery Men (another movie that gets panned but I like) and disappeared. Yet his less funny sidekick, Kenan, is on TV every week. Go figure.

cmkeller
03-31-2015, 08:10 AM
Mystery Men gets panned? I thought it was well-liked. But maybe it's just a cult thing and I didn't realize it.

WilyQuixote
03-31-2015, 08:14 AM
Machete
Demolition Man

and thirding Last Action Hero

Charlie Wayne
03-31-2015, 08:23 AM
The Core is utterly preposterous from beginning to end, but I just love it. One thing it gets big points for, in my opinion, is...no, wait, two things it gets big points for are 1. Not mating the male and female leads at the end, and 2. Hanging a big ol' lampshade on the super-techno-stuff it needs to make the story work ("I call it 'unobtainium'."), and, no, wait, there were three things, and the third is 3. Letting Stanley Tucci overact most delightfully.

I have never seen or heard of The Core. But you make it sound really wonderfull!

After reading what you had to say, I must go and see it. Really!

I'm gone, baby! Just plain gone!

Gone! Gone! Gone!

Mahaloth
03-31-2015, 09:03 AM
I can think of a number of movies that would have been a lot better if they'd had more of a budget. Vibes, The Shadow, Daredevil, Evolution...

The Shadow is listed as a bad movie? Add it to my list, then. Not a huge fan, but I loved it when it came out and still think it is pretty good. I didn't even see any budget problems in it.

WilyQuixote
03-31-2015, 09:03 AM
That one is supposed to be bad?.

Holds 26% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Barb Wire has a rating of 28%.

Malthus
03-31-2015, 09:10 AM
Dead Man. I loved it and recommended it to a bunch of people who all hated it. Meanwhile I rewatch every so often. Define "bad movie" though; maybe my friends don't recognize fine cinema.

Dead Man isn't by any stretch a bad movie. Wierd, yes. :D

DCnDC
03-31-2015, 09:15 AM
Mystery Men gets panned? I thought it was well-liked. But maybe it's just a cult thing and I didn't realize it.

I seem to remember it getting average to decent reviews, but I also remember it being a bit disappointing upon actual viewing. I mean it was okay, but I certainly wasn't in any rush to see it again or run out and buy "Mystery Men" action figures or anything.

Finagle
03-31-2015, 09:28 AM
Traxx

Also, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.

OK, and I'll add Return of the Killer Tomatoes. For two reasons.

a. Karen Mistal is adorable.

b. There's a scene where they parody Spock's death in Wrath of Khan. The girl played by Karen Mistal (who is actually a killer tomato in human form, beating Battlestar Galactica to the idea by 20 years), is trapped in a chamber of poison gas and apparently succumbs. But to our hero's delight, she survives. But she's still a tomato, right? No, the line that makes the movie for me: "Once she's gassed, she can never be a real tomato." Happy endings all around.

vivalostwages
03-31-2015, 12:56 PM
Dead Man isn't by any stretch a bad movie. Wierd, yes. :D

Agreed. I've watched it many times.

control-z
03-31-2015, 12:58 PM
Movies mentioned here that I like/love:

Machete
Resident Evil Apocalypse
The Fifth Element
Red Dawn

I didn't really know that The Fifth Element and Red Dawn were supposed to be bad. IIRC Red Dawn did well in its original theatrical run. The Fifth Element has become a cult classic.

mbh
03-31-2015, 01:34 PM
Lifeforce, starring Mathilda May's breasts, and a bunch of British actors.
Oh, yeah, and one gratuitous American.
His character was the lead role in the novel.
His character is ostensibly the lead role in the movie.
And yet he manages to make Raymond Burr's contributions to Godzilla look good.

The 1990 direct-to-video version of Captain America.
It's pretty bad. But Ronny Cox makes an awesome President of the USA!

The 1994 Roger Corman version of The Fantastic Four. Of course, it sucked. But it could have sucked a lot worse.
The screenwriters did actually read some of the comic books, and they did try to get the comic book onto the screen.
The guy playing Doctor Doom is a horrid actor, but he has the perfect voice for the role. It is exactly the sort of voice you would expect to hear from a villain in an iron mask.

Master Wang-Ka
03-31-2015, 01:41 PM
I liked all the Resident Evil movies, for all that they have nearly nothing to do with the source material. They're the epitome of "buy your popcorn and check your brain at the door" movies.

I still like to watch Lifeforce on occasion, simply because of all the really amazing actors sharing time with Mathilda May's boobs in this insane movie. I think that if there was an award for "sheer amount of nudity in a completely non-porn film," Lifeforce would win hands down. Aside from one scene of her frantically making out with Steve Railsback, she does nearly nothing sexy in most of the movie while wandering around completely starkers...

Hypno-Toad
03-31-2015, 01:46 PM
Flash Gordon. Just so campy.

Rick Kitchen
03-31-2015, 02:20 PM
Machete
Demolition Man

and thirding Last Action Hero

No, Machete is awesome! "Machete don't text!"

Lowdown
03-31-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm on board with Last Action Hero.

I also think the Hulk movie with Eric Bana is the best one.

Master Wang-Ka
03-31-2015, 02:44 PM
I never did see what the beef was with Last Action Hero. I didn't think it was Citizen Kane, or anything, but it was a fun little popcorn film, and I never understood all the hate.

And Arnie doing Shakespeare was hilarioius.

Enola Straight
03-31-2015, 03:12 PM
Jim Henson's "The Dark Crystal"

Craptacular Muppets :rolleyes:

Moontrap

Walter "Checkov" Koenig battles moon robot/zombies.

Boyo Jim
03-31-2015, 03:20 PM
I watch Independence Day every chance I get (which is a lot), and even I know it sucks.

Cartoonacy
03-31-2015, 03:48 PM
I understand why a lot of people didn't like Green Lantern. And I agree that it could have been better. But I liked it.

I had no complaints about the casting or the SFX, although I wasn't crazy about the CGI costume. I thought the script was flawed, but not irredeemably so. It was a fun film, especially compared to the dismal Dark Knight and Man of Steel

Add me to the list of Plan Nine and Last Action Hero fans, too.

purplehorseshoe
03-31-2015, 04:32 PM
I watch Independence Day every chance I get (which is a lot), and even I know it sucks.

Oh, that's a great one. Speaking of aliens, what about Men In Black? Does that count as a "bad" movie too?

If Idiocracy counts, that one gets my vote. "Welcome to Costco. I love you. Welcome to Costco. I love you."

Battle Pope
03-31-2015, 04:44 PM

Good choice. I'm partial to Armageddon as well.

I though John Carter was a perfectly good 'B' grade adventure film. The production design was great - those Martian flyers with the adjustable wings and interleaving metal 'feathers' were superb.

The biggest issue I had with it was Taylor Kitsch in the lead role. He was just dull.

Master Wang-Ka
03-31-2015, 05:45 PM
I understand why a lot of people didn't like Green Lantern. And I agree that it could have been better. But I liked it.

I wanted to like it, but I have grown tired of reluctant hero types who gripe and moan and then finally seize their destiny at the end of the movie. Green Lantern's alternate title could have been Smarmy Whining Dillhole Who Becomes A Green Lantern At The Very End Of The Movie, But There's Lots Of Cool CGI In The Meantime.

NVME702-redux
03-31-2015, 05:54 PM
I'll get in the wayback machine for this one,Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band, with the Bee Gees, Peter Frampton and George Burns.

As a little Mexican girl in 70's Vegas, it was my first exposure to The Beatles. Funny part was that I didn't know it was the Beatles (or the Bee Gees singing, for that matter), I just knew that I loved the lyrics and music.

joyfool
03-31-2015, 06:08 PM
I'll get in the wayback machine for this one,Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band, with the Bee Gees, Peter Frampton and George Burns.

As a little Mexican girl in 70's Vegas, it was my first exposure to The Beatles. Funny part was that I didn't know it was the Beatles (or the Bee Gees singing, for that matter), I just knew that I loved the lyrics and music.

And Alice!

For me, it'd be Little Darlings. What's not to like about two girls racing to lose their virginity? Soooooo 70s and Matt Dillon was so smoldering back then. Made me wish I'd gone to summer camp.

nearwildheaven
03-31-2015, 06:25 PM
"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" was a parody of "Jaws", which had come out a couple years earlier.

Anyone remember "Night Flight", the weekend overnight show on the USA Network in the 1980s and early 1990s? They regularly showed an ultra-low-budget student-made movie called "I Was A Zombie For The FBI". Its plot? "Aliens steal the formula for a popular soft drink." And that was about it.

The movie was made in grainy B&W, and while the clothing and hair styles were all from the early 1980s when the movie was made, all the cars were from the 1950s. :p And since I mentioned ZZ Top in an earlier post, anyone remember the video for their song "TV Dinners", which featured a gargoyle busting out of a TV dinner with a foil wrapper? That was the alien in this movie.

enipla
03-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Point Break.

A pretty good score including Concrete Blonde. Lots of good looking people and I like the camera work and action.

Pretty quotable too.

Master Wang-Ka
03-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Anyone remember "Night Flight", the weekend overnight show on the USA Network in the 1980s and early 1990s?

Night Flight was a rich source of bad movies and general weirdness, back in the day. I miss it. I miss late movies, for that matter.

Future generations will not grow nostalgic for old informercials.

dzeiger
03-31-2015, 09:38 PM
Ice Pirates is a great bad movie.

Girl Slaves of Morgana Le Fey is, as the name suggests, a lesbian sexplotation horror movie from the 70s, but it's actually pretty good even beyond the hot lesbians making out aspect.

smithsb
03-31-2015, 09:43 PM
Please view Nick Cage in Drive Angry. Look at it as a parody of non-stop, "death by various weapons, fights, car chases, hot cars/babes, re-animation, devil-worship".

I love both BAD Robin Hood movies. Men in tights with the semi-paralyzed Robin and the Kevin Costner/Morgan Freeman Prince of Thieves one. Alan Rickman steals all the best lines as the Sheriff and you have Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as Marian. Costner is "wonderfully wooden".

TheInimitableMaven
03-31-2015, 10:53 PM
The 1994 Roger Corman version of The Fantastic Four. Of course, it sucked. But it could have sucked a lot worse.
The screenwriters did actually read some of the comic books, and they did try to get the comic book onto the screen.
The guy playing Doctor Doom is a horrid actor, but he has the perfect voice for the role. It is exactly the sort of voice you would expect to hear from a villain in an iron mask.

I have two copies of this, both VHS, one I bought from an old Fantastic Four fan site, and the other I won in a FF 40th Anniversary contest in 2001. If that is not a testament to how the FF will always be my top comic book poison (with all that's Asgard/Journey Into Mystery right behind it), I don't know what is.

It's honestly scary to think that the Corman FF film will most likely go down as the best one ever made with Marvel's First Family. Unlike all of the actually released FF cinema thus far AND especially to come, the Corman offering did stay somewhat true to the source material. That and the fact that at least I feel the actors, especially those portraying Reed and Co., did their best with what they were given made the movie surprisingly watchable and, dare I say, decent.

Over the last couple of years, there have been some rumblings of a documentary about the making of the Corman FF called Doomed. I really hope that the project has not been put on permanent hiatus, because I think such an inside look would actually be quite interesting, as well as be a golden opportunity for an official/non-bootleg DVD release of the movie.

madsircool
03-31-2015, 11:27 PM
Flash Gordon. Just so campy.

Flesh Gordon

bup
03-31-2015, 11:38 PM
The Day After Tomorrow
Yeah, I understand that was really bad, but I was enjoying it too much to care.

"Red Dawn", the original, Patrick Swayze version. Just a masterpiece of late period Cold War paranoia propaganda. Whenever I find it on tv I have to watch it.

WOLVERIIIIINES!!
YES! This blue bleeding-heart still can't resist FIGHTING THOSE DAMN EVIL INVADER COMMERNISTS!

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Silly in the extreme, but also wonderful wish fulfillment for the 7 year old inside me that wants my political heroes to be superheroes.

And the book actually makes (as unsubtle, and punch-you-in-the-face as it is) a great metaphor about slavery and vampirism. But this isn't about the book. The movie was SO AWESOME.

The Winkler
04-01-2015, 01:03 AM
Clambake
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
The Black Hole

CalMeacham
04-01-2015, 06:54 AM
Ice Pirates is a great bad movie.

Yep. It featured the last appearance of horror legend (and mainstream legend, for that matter) John Carradine. His arthritis was so bad he couldn't move his hands, but he still stole the scenes he was in.

VunderBob
04-01-2015, 07:03 AM
My favorite bad movie is The Ten Commandments with Charleton Heston. I consider it bad because the costuming is awful, the overacting atrocious, and the embellishments to the basic story laughable. John Derek (Joshua) is the worst of a bad lot of scenery chewers.

I always take a front row seat when it comes around every Easter/Passover.

Boyo Jim
04-01-2015, 07:25 AM
Good choice. I'm partial to Armageddon as well.

I though John Carter was a perfectly good 'B' grade adventure film. The production design was great - those Martian flyers with the adjustable wings and interleaving metal 'feathers' were superb.

The biggest issue I had with it was Taylor Kitsch in the lead role. He was just dull.

Yes, that one's on my "watch it when it's on" (which is also quite often) list as well. I think Steve Buscemi steals every scene he's in. And I love the idea that they needed a multi-barrel machine gun to atack an asteroid.

CalMeacham
04-01-2015, 07:35 AM
My favorite bad movie is The Ten Commandments with Charleton Heston. I consider it bad because the costuming is awful, the overacting atrocious, and the embellishments to the basic story laughable. John Derek (Joshua) is the worst of a bad lot of scenery chewers.

I always take a front row seat when it comes around every Easter/Passover.

I wouldn't call it a "bad movie" myself. It's Pageantry. In fact, it's Pageantry Writ Large. You don't expect good acting or good scripting from something like that, you expect Tableaus.

And I'll take issue with your claim of Bad Costumes - I think the costumes and the scenery excellent. Much of it is due to the conceptual art of Arnold Friberg (who died only five years ago). Friberg not only did conceptual art for The Ten Commandments, and some "inspirational" and Western art, he did the paintings that hang in the LDS Visitor's Center in Salt Lake City, and the ones used to illustrate the Book of Mormon. If you flip through that edition of the BoM that the missionaries hand you, or you vacation in Salt Lake City and visit Temple Square, you'll get a strong Ten Commandments vibe from the impressively robed Nephites and Lamanites, and the rustic yet tough-cool garb of the people, where even the kids wear leather headbands and wrist strengtheners.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBT7p15BtVRi8AB6FXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzZ252MHZqBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVklQNjEwXzEEc2 VjA3Nj?p=Arnold+Friberg&fr=yfp-t-252

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Friberg

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/704/0/Arnold-Fribergs-religious-paintings.html

Boyo Jim
04-01-2015, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't call it a "bad movie" myself. It's Pageantry. In fact, it's Pageantry Writ Large. You don't expect good acting or good scripting from something like that, you expect Tableaus. ...

That's close to suggesting a big enough and splashy enough movie can't be bad, and I disagree. They can be among the worst.

OTOH, they can be very good. Spartacus, for example, is a very fine movie IMO.

Gyrate
04-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Letting Stanley Tucci overact most delightfully.On that note: Undercover Blues. Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner goof around and deliver various amusing quips while Stanley Tucci and Fiona Shaw - two of the finest character actors out there - compete for the Most Outrageous Fake Accent and Best Scenery Chewing awards. Personally I think Tucci wins both but it's a close thing. "Mah nem ees MUERTE!"

Please view Nick Cage in Drive Angry. Look at it as a parody of non-stop, "death by various weapons, fights, car chases, hot cars/babes, re-animation, devil-worship". I look at it as "Ghost Rider 3", only without the flaming head.

CalMeacham
04-01-2015, 07:46 AM
That's close to suggesting a big enough and splashy enough movie can't be bad, and I disagree. They can be among the worst.

OTOH, they can be very good. Spartacus, for example, is a very fine movie IMO.

Spartacus isn't pageantry, though. It's a well-written flick, with a script by Dalton Trumbo. A very different beast.

If your criteria are "Big Movie, Lots of People, Lots of Money. Very Long. Set Long Ago", you need to look more carefully. Spartacus (and all those circa 1960 historical epics) and The Ten commandments aren't remnotely similar films.

VunderBob
04-01-2015, 08:02 AM
And I'll take issue with your claim of Bad Costumes - I think the costumes and the scenery excellent.

The costuming and hair styles used have a distinct 1950s "I'm playing dress-up" quality to them, vs. any attempt to try to look 1200 BC authentic. Some remakes today appear to have a better authenticity quality to them, but I'm sure if I'm still around 40 years from now, those will look fake to me, too.

Boyo Jim
04-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Spartacus isn't pageantry, though. It's a well-written flick, with a script by Dalton Trumbo. A very different beast.

If your criteria are "Big Movie, Lots of People, Lots of Money. Very Long. Set Long Ago", you need to look more carefully. Spartacus (and all those circa 1960 historical epics) and The Ten commandments aren't remnotely similar films.

Of course they're not, but Spartacus is big in Pageantry, with a huge supporting supporting cast, phalanxes of armies marching over the hillsides, etc. Everything is big and splashy.

So, how does your definition of 'pageantry' differ from that?

JerrySTL
04-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Another vote for UHF. If you like parodies, this is the movie for you.

kayaker
04-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Out of Sight and Jackie Brown. I love the Elmore Leonard novels, and really like the movie adaptations.

Scumpup
04-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Split Second (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105459/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_109) starring Rutger Hauer. I don't think they missed a single cliche in this action-horror-sci fi melange. It works, though. It probably wouldn't with anybody else in the lead role, but Rutger Hauer has an amazing ability to make schlock worth watching.

WilyQuixote
04-01-2015, 09:29 AM
I never did see what the beef was with Last Action Hero.

I blame the kid.

He was annoying.

JustinC
04-01-2015, 09:33 AM
I recently watched 'Wild Card', after seeing it rated as 5.6·IMDb; 28%·Rotten Tomatoes, and 40%·Metacritic. So.... with low expectations. I thought it was a laugh riot! A very, very silly parody of most of Jason Statham's movies, probably along the lines of Last Boy Scout and Last Action Hero - both of which I also enjoyed.

CalMeacham
04-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Of course they're not, but Spartacus is big in Pageantry, with a huge supporting supporting cast, phalanxes of armies marching over the hillsides, etc. Everything is big and splashy.

So, how does your definition of 'pageantry' differ from that?

Your definition of Pageantry is very different from mine.

"Pageantry" is not synonymous with "costume drama", which is how you seem to be using it. "Pageantry" means presenting iconic images that represent scenes from a story. I use the term as in "REligious pageant". The Passion play at Oberammergau is Pageant, pure and simple. People go to it to see the scenes from the Dearth of Christ -- the Triual, the Crucifiction, etc. Nobody bgoes to a Passion Play for the dialogue, or to see character development

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passion_Play

The Ten Commandments is Pageant in this style. You go to see The Plagues and The Partinmg of the Red Sea and so forth. The dialogue isn't really necessary.

Spartacus is a whole different ball of wax. It's not anything like a Passion Play

Damuri Ajashi
04-01-2015, 09:36 AM
STARSHIP TROOPERS

best movie evah

carnivorousplant
04-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Another vote for Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.
There is a scene wherein state policemen are firing shotguns at an unseen target, while tomatoes are rolled past them. "We can't hold them back!"

DrCube
04-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Heartbreak Ridge. "I'm the Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah!"

Dark City.

Master Wang-Ka
04-01-2015, 11:10 AM
I'm still looking for a copy of The Lost Continent.

A yacht full of characters at odds (and a hold full of smuggled dynamite) gets snarled in the Sargasso Sea and finds prehistoric monsters and several trapped ships left over from the Spanish Armada, ruled by Teenage Pope Joffrey, who feeds people he doesn't like to the Sarlacc, which he keeps in the basement of his flagship. We learn all this from a woman with enormous breasts (which spend the entire movie on the verge of falling out of her bodice) who escapes from Teenage Pope Joffrey's harem and wants to join our modern day yacht people.

Wonderfully, energetically brain damaged. One of the films made during that magical time when Hammer Films' coffee supply seems to have been dosed with psychoactive drugs.

Boyo Jim
04-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Tell me more about the woman with enormous breasts. They will often make or break a movie,

FasterThanMeerkats
04-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Another vote for Starship Troopers. I love the book as well, but think they're both great in their own way. A true movie rendition of the book is a pipe dream, "Join up now!"

Intergalactic Gladiator
04-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Spaced Invaders and Blind Fury are both very awesome movies even though Rotten Tomatoes doesn't appear to agree.

Master Wang-Ka
04-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Tell me more about the woman with enormous breasts. They will often make or break a movie,

Weirdly enough, "The Lost Continent" was the first movie I ever saw where the breasts were kind of a distraction.

On the yacht, we've got all this Peyton Place drama going on. Meanwhile, over at the Spanish Armada, we also have the Psycho Teen Pope, a Sarlacc, the Spanish Inquisition, and all this OTHER drama going on. And in between, we have these amazing sea monster puppets that occasionally attack boats, travelers, and each other.

And then we have poor li'l Dana Gillespie and her Two Enormous Talents. And I can't even remember any of her dialogue, because I spent every scene she was in staring at her chest and wondering if they were fiiiiiinally going to go teetering over the edge, so to speak. She may have been the greatest example of the Theiss Titillation Theory I've ever seen.

Yeah, this movie had stuff happenin' all OVER the place.

Scumpup
04-01-2015, 11:55 AM
Bresteses are never a distraction. They are always an enhancement to the cinematic experience.

Boyo Jim
04-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Now that I've googled her, I see what you mean. From all the pics, it seems like she was some kind of B movie queen, though I don't have any recollection of her name.

Evil Captor
04-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Oh, that's a great one. Speaking of aliens, what about Men In Black? Does that count as a "bad" movie too?

If Idiocracy counts, that one gets my vote. "Welcome to Costco. I love you. Welcome to Costco. I love you."

No one thinks either of those is a bad movie.

Lowdown
04-01-2015, 01:09 PM
I thought of one!

Fired Up!

Rotten Tomatoes gives it 23%. It's stupid, but there's no way you don't go into it expecting it to be stupid. It's the kind of movie I start to watch yet planning to turn off after the first few scenes, but end up watching the whole thing. It has some great lines and I really do love it.

Evil Captor
04-01-2015, 01:38 PM
I'll go with Cage Fury, a mindless 90s exploitation flick starring Erik Estrada, who's only in half the movie. The REAL star is Richie Barathy, a martial arts body builder. His character's girlfriend gets caught up in the Most Elaborate White Slaving Operation Evah. It involves a fake modelling agency, fake police, a fake police car, a fake courtroom, and a fake jury, judge and witnesses AND a fake prison with a real lesbian dominatrix warden. Barathy's technique for tracking his girlfriend is simple: he goes where she went and when anyone won't tell him what he wants to know, he bangs them against walls until they comply. It leads him to a scene where Barathy goes to the prison and beats up the prison -- not just the evil guards and staff, the prison itself, he kicks down doors and walls and liberates all the captive women.

In short, this is a totally ridiculous movie and I only wish the gang at MST3K had been able to do it, but they tend to avoid movies with nakedness.

cmkeller
04-01-2015, 01:40 PM
I thought of another one: Dead Man on Campus. Worth seeing for the opening credits alone, pretty funny throughout.

Accidental Martyr
04-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Dark City.

Dark City can't really be considered a "bad movie." It was under-appreciated when it was released and didn't perform well at the box office but got good reviews. It's at 74% on Rotten Tomatoes.
The film won and was nominated for several awards in 1998. Film critic Roger Ebert cited it as the best film of 1998.[59][60] In 2005, he included it on his "Great Movies" list.[36] Ebert used it in his teaching, and also appears on a commentary track for the original DVD and the 2006 Director's Cut.[36] The film was screened out of competition at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival.[61]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_City_(1998_film)

Baron Greenback
04-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Out of Sight and Jackie Brown. I love the Elmore Leonard novels, and really like the movie adaptations.

Who considers these bad movies? :confused:

ftg
04-01-2015, 03:25 PM
Split Second (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105459/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_109) starring Rutger Hauer. I don't think they missed a single cliche in this action-horror-sci fi melange. It works, though. It probably wouldn't with anybody else in the lead role, but Rutger Hauer has an amazing ability to make schlock worth watching.

Ditto. The way the rookie goes from naive to gung ho during the movie is especially well done. An excellent role model for buddy cop movies.

Rick Kitchen
04-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Gymkata. Olympic gymnast Kurt Thomas has to perform gymnastics in order to secure a site in a Middle Eastern country for American weapons.

madsircool
04-01-2015, 06:47 PM

Jackie Brown is an awesome movie with some great performances.

For a truly bad but fun film I give you I Sailed to Tahiti With an All Girl Crew

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063117/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Infovore
04-01-2015, 07:34 PM
My two favorite bad movies are:

- The Manitou - a horror movie from the mid 70s starring Tony Curtis. Cheesy as hell, and I love every minute of it.
- Xanadu - The Eightiesest movie ever. Roller disco. Teased hair. Olivia Newton-John and some dude with a big nose. Gene Kelly. ELO. What's not to love?

(apparently I'm only allowed to like bad movies with titles that rhyme...)

carnivorousplant
04-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Incubus (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059311/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_163), starring William Shatner, done in Esperanto. Need I say more? :)

salinqmind
04-01-2015, 09:43 PM
I find Starship Troopers utterly entrancing and will watch it whenever it shows up on TV. My God, Denise Richards piloting a space ship, and the cast of 90210 shooting machine gun things at giant bugs on another planet! (I don't know anything about the book.) Years ago Entertainment Weekly gave it an in-depth review and whoever wrote it said, for the first time, they were so undecided as to whether it was serious or a satire, they couldn't give it a 'letter' grade.

Master Wang-Ka
04-01-2015, 10:05 PM
I find Starship Troopers utterly entrancing and will watch it whenever it shows up on TV. My God, Denise Richards piloting a space ship, and the cast of 90210 shooting machine gun things at giant bugs on another planet! (I don't know anything about the book.) Years ago Entertainment Weekly gave it an in-depth review and whoever wrote it said, for the first time, they were so undecided as to whether it was serious or a satire, they couldn't give it a 'letter' grade.

When you have Doogie Howser in a Nazi uniform, how can it NOT be a satire?

CalMeacham
04-02-2015, 08:29 AM

Couldn't be that significant. I saw this movie way back when, and didn't even recall that it had a Woman With Enormous Breasts. If I didn't notice them, they couldn't have been that enormous, and wouldn't make or break the film.

I do recall the Trapped Spanish Galleons, still inhabited by descendants of the original sailors, and the awful tentacle things living in the Sargasso, sand the Men Walking on "snowshoes" while being supported by Large Natural Helium/Hydrogen Balloons. I think I'd have remembvered a Woman Being Supported by Large Natural Balloons, too. But I don't.

Master Wang-Ka
04-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Couldn't be that significant. I saw this movie way back when, and didn't even recall that it had a Woman With Enormous Breasts. If I didn't notice them, they couldn't have been that enormous, and wouldn't make or break the film.

I do recall the Trapped Spanish Galleons, still inhabited by descendants of the original sailors, and the awful tentacle things living in the Sargasso, sand the Men Walking on "snowshoes" while being supported by Large Natural Helium/Hydrogen Balloons. I think I'd have remembvered a Woman Being Supported by Large Natural Balloons, too. But I don't.

I am inclined to question your vision or sexuality. Every scene in which that woman appears, her shelf is dancing on the very edge of falling out of her bodice, and every shot in which she appears is VERY much centered on her cleavage. And if I recall correctly, she is the first person we see wearing the snowshoes and balloons.

But I have not seen this movie in decades, so perhaps my memory is at fault. But I distinctly remember their habit of centering every shot on her Two Enormous Talents; ghod help me, the camera LEERS at that poor woman in every shot she's in. It's distracting. The only thing they DON'T do is zoom in with a "BOIIIING!" sound effect and Benny Hill music. It's like we can only get back to the story when Gillespie is off doing something else, or when her back is to the camera, or when she's standing behind someone else. It's one of the many contributors to the film's awfulness.

And I wholeheartedly agree that The Manitou is a wonderful badfilm, all the more so for the otherwise credible and well respected actors in it. I figure it HAD to be one of those "contractually obligated" things.

salinqmind
04-02-2015, 08:55 AM
I just saw part of The Manitou on TCM one afternoon this week. I was alerted by the 'Quinn Martin Production' music, and it certainly was cheesey, but I simply had to sit down and watch. It was sort of like The Exorcist with Native Americans. Sometimes you want fine dining, sometimes you want McDonalds...I consider The Manitou on par with Denny's, where you eat the whole plate of Moon Over My Hammy AND a milkshake. You realize it's not so good when you finish, but it goes down easy.

CalMeacham
04-02-2015, 08:55 AM
I am inclined to question your vision or sexuality. Every scene in which that woman appears, her shelf is dancing on the very edge of falling out of her bodice, and every shot in which she appears is VERY much centered on her cleavage. And if I recall correctly, she is the first person we see wearing the snowshoes and balloons.

But I have not seen this movie in decades, so perhaps my memory is at fault. s.

Same here, so that might be a big factor. I was much younger then, so said balloons might not have yet had their full effect on me.

Max Torque
04-02-2015, 09:24 AM
There were a few movies I watched over and over back in the early days of VHS because, well, they were all I could get. And they grew on me, and I still like 'em. I'm thinking of titles like Gotcha!, Soul Man, The Golden Child (mentioned previously).

More recently, I have a really embarrassing one to admit, though I don't own a copy or anything: Master Of Disguise. It's so damn ridiculous, and the slap-fighting while shouting, "Who's your daddy?" slays me.

Sister Vigilante
04-02-2015, 10:28 AM
I loved Groundhog Day; all of my friends hated it.

It seems to be making a comeback though.

Gyrate
04-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Out of curiosity I looked up Dana Gillespie. "Assets" aside, her real name is "Richenda Antoinette de Winterstein Gillespie" which is a helluva name. She was also the British Junior Water Skiing Champion, sang backup for David Bowie, was the original Mary Magdelene in Jesus Christ Superstar and runs an annual blues festival on Mustique. Interesting life.

nearwildheaven
04-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Another vote for UHF. If you like parodies, this is the movie for you.

I saw "UHF" when it came out, and didn't like it all that much. I watched it again within the past couple of years, and loved it. The things in it are easy to do and get viewed now, thanks to You Tube.

As for pageantry, etc. making bad movies: "Heaven's Gate".

Superdude
04-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Starship Troopers -- I can't think of another movie where the gap -- scientific, authorial, philosophic, intelligence, whatever you want -- between the subject matter and the movie was so huge. .

Exit to Eden (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109758/?ref_=nv_sr_2). The main plot of the movie (2 cops follow a woman to an S&M-based island, hijinks ensue), and two of the main characters (the aforementioned 2 cops, played by Dan Aykroyd and Rosie O'Donnell), do not appear in the book at all. The book is about the relationship that develops between Dana Delany (whose breasts are the only redeeming quality of this film) and Paul Mercurio, which is pushed into the background in the film.

For my contribution to this thread, though, I have to go with Street Fighter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111301/?ref_=nv_sr_3), a film based off of the video game series. Raul Julia is truly extraordinary in it, with all the chewed scenery (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBc7yQXrP9c).

Master Wang-Ka
04-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Out of curiosity I looked up Dana Gillespie. "Assets" aside, her real name is "Richenda Antoinette de Winterstein Gillespie" which is a helluva name. She was also the British Junior Water Skiing Champion, sang backup for David Bowie, was the original Mary Magdelene in Jesus Christ Superstar and runs an annual blues festival on Mustique. Interesting life.

Yup. In the sixties and seventies, she seems to have been on call at Hammer Studios for whenever they needed Huge Tracts Of Land. I also remember her distinctly for her amazing sideboob fur... garment... thing... as a cavewoman in The People That Time Forgot.

I used to feel sorry for Raul Julia, what with his last performance being in that awful movie. Turns out, so I am told, that his grandson wanted him to do it, and Julia knew he was dying anyway, and said, "Whatthehell?" and took the role.

Might explain his acting technique. He was usually more subtle.

JustinC
04-02-2015, 08:21 PM

:confused: They hated it? It's a wonderful film, very funny and makes you think. Also the script is superb, the camera work sublime, and it's memorable. I loved it, too.

kopek
04-02-2015, 11:09 PM
Nasty Habits (which, despite the title, is not an adult film)

And while it is now basically a classic, Plan 9 is one of my reliable guilty pleasures.

Accidental Martyr
04-03-2015, 06:37 AM

:confused: They hated it? It's a wonderful film, very funny and makes you think. Also the script is superb, the camera work sublime, and it's memorable. I loved it, too.

Yeah, I don't know anyone that doesn't like "Groundhog Day".

Scumpup
04-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Yeah, I don't know anyone that doesn't like "Groundhog Day".

I don't. Specifically, I don't like Bill Murray. He's irritating rather than funny and that has been my opinion since he first showed up on SNL.

Hypno-Toad
04-03-2015, 08:06 AM
I remember even as a teen how bad Commando was. It may have been the first time I realized that gunfire and explosions can't make a film great all by themselves.

But I enjoyed the flick. It was very...pure...in it's mission.

CalMeacham
04-03-2015, 08:17 AM
I don't. Specifically, I don't like Bill Murray. He's irritating rather than funny and that has been my opinion since he first showed up on SNL.

I feel the same way about Bill Murray. Nevertheless, I have to admit that I liked Groundhog Day, possibly precisely because of his general character, which is how he starts out the film, and is transformed by his experience. I've been told that he's good in The Razor's Edge for the same reason, though I've never seen that film.

I agree with other people here, though -- Groundhog Day is not by any stretch a "Bad Film>

Bad Films are ones like 10,000 BC, a truly abysmal film with gorgeous special effects. The problem is that, even if you allow for the blatant disregard for history and geography, it's still a Bad Film, and doesn't make any logical sense even on its own terms.

Intergalactic Gladiator
04-03-2015, 08:25 AM
the first mortal kombat.

The first Mortal Kombat is awesome. It has just enough plot hanging on it to justify people fighting each other for an hour and a half. The only real weakness in the movie, imo, is Bridgett Wilson who is neither a great actor nor convincing in her combat scenes.

Master Wang-Ka
04-03-2015, 08:35 AM
I remember even as a teen how bad Commando was. It may have been the first time I realized that gunfire and explosions can't make a film great all by themselves.

But I enjoyed the flick. It was very...pure...in it's mission.

I loved Commando. I knew I was in for a ride as soon as I heard the hero's name: John Matrix. And at that point, Arnie appears. Carrying something way too heavy. Yup, we are in for a ride, here.

We do not get characterization. We do not get deep truths. We do not get much in the way of pathos and bathos. In fact, what we get is pretty much "The Terminator," but with more explosions, less drama, funnier dialogue, and a much more entertaining villain.

The Terminator is the better FILM, but Commando is self-parody to the ragged edge of actually being a comedy. And Rae Dawn Chong, of all people, winds up being the only sane person in the entire movie, and is utterly hilarious for it.

As for the definition of "bad film," I always rather liked Ivan Stang's turn of phrase, "Bulldada." Bulldada is an art form. It is distinct from a simply bad movie.

In another thread around here, I griped about a movie that had no sense of timing or pacing. Stuff HAPPENS, sure, but every moment is robbed of any impact it might have had because despite all these worldshaking events, it is filmed in the same manner as Thanksgiving at your grandmother's. If I don't know any of your relatives, this film is BORING to me. And this is one of the factors that makes a crappy movie.

To make a beloved badfilm... bulldada, if you will... requires a magical combination of factors, that still defies analysis to some extent. But Ivan Stang hit one factor on the head: "Bulldada is badfilm that doesn't know how bad it is."

Enola Straight
04-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Bresteses are never a distraction. They are always an enhancement to the cinematic experience.

Yes...anything with Adrienne Barbeau in it ;)

Master Wang-Ka
04-03-2015, 08:42 AM

My girlfriend cracked me up the other day by mentioning something about "Escape From New York, with Kurt Russell and Adrienne Barboobs."

Sir T-Cups
04-03-2015, 08:50 AM
the first mortal kombat.

The first Mortal Kombat is awesome. It has just enough plot hanging on it to justify people fighting each other for an hour and a half. The only real weakness in the movie, imo, is Bridgett Wilson who is neither a great actor nor convincing in her combat scenes.

Screw that. The SECOND Mortal Kombat movie is where it's at.

How many random and misplaced Kombatants can we fit into a movie? Plus the dude playing the baddie is sooooo bad (and so many pointless flips!). But fun as hell nonetheless.

No one has said it yet, but I love ALL Transformers movies. Kickass action, good CGI, shit getting blowed up...who cares about plot? I'm watchin this movie to have fun not see an Oscar winner.

That being said: The last one was almost too unbelievable for me

Blank Slate
04-03-2015, 08:51 AM

Me too. If you think of it as camp, all the absurdity works in it's favor.

I also like The Ref.

Master Wang-Ka
04-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Last time I saw "Independence Day," I found myself thinking, "You know, if you just edited Dennis Quaid out of this movie, you'd actually have a better movie."

Although you'd have to rework the ending.

Motorgirl
04-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Gregory's Girl. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory%27s_Girl) Loved it when it was on HBO the summer of 1983(?) Watched it over and over. Rewatched it recently and it is bad. Very vary bad.

Boyo Jim
04-03-2015, 09:20 AM
[B] ... Many bad movies are funny, like Wicker Man(recent) or Battlefield Earth, but they don't really count.

I disagree, assuming they're unintentionally funny, as I think both of these are. I swear I almost fainted from laughter serveral times during The Wicker Man.

Boyo Jim
04-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Me too. If you think of it as camp, all the absurdity works in it's favor.

I also like The Ref.

Yes, but The Ref is a genuinely good movie. :D

kopek
04-03-2015, 11:14 AM

The two best actresses in Swamp Thing is what I usually say. ;)

Superdude
04-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Last time I saw "Independence Day," I found myself thinking, "You know, if you just edited Dennis Quaid out of this movie, you'd actually have a better movie."

Although you'd have to rework the ending.

Did you mean Randy Quaid?

Boyo Jim
04-03-2015, 12:28 PM
I think Dennis would prefer to edit Randy out of ... the headlines about crazy celebrities, at the least.

Indyellen
04-03-2015, 12:40 PM
All of these posts and no one has listed the immortal classic Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death? It has Adrienne Barbeau and Shannon Tweed in it. Plus a pre-talk-show Bill Maher in an acting role. What's not to love?

I love several of the movies previously listed, but I have to say my other favorite in the "disaster" genre is Volcano. Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche save LA (mostly), and there's lava. Far superior to the other movie released at almost the same time, Dante's Peak, IMHO.

Master Wang-Ka
04-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Did you mean Randy Quaid?

Yeah, I think that must have been what I meant. Breakfast seems to be wearing off, and the world is returning to its usual color scheme, and the potted plants aren't talking any more...

Evil Captor
04-03-2015, 02:02 PM
I disagree, assuming they're unintentionally funny, as I think both of these are. I swear I almost fainted from laughter serveral times during The Wicker Man.

Exactly! I mean, a guy in a bear suit assaulting a woman and stealing her bicycle sounds like a mildly amusing Benny Hill comedy skit. But playing it absolutely straight in a horror movie is freaking hilarious.

Boyo Jim
04-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I think that must have been what I meant. Breakfast seems to be wearing off, and the world is returning to its usual color scheme, and the potted plants aren't talking any more...

Here, I'll send you right back down the rabbit hole. Randy Quaid is now publishing selfie porn on the internet (http://www.salon.com/2015/03/18/i_watched_the_randy_quaid_porno_so_you_dont_have_to/). The story is about the most recent. Apparently there was an earlier one where he fucked his wife while she wore a Rupert Murdoch mask.

Boyo Jim
04-03-2015, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking a bio-pic on Randy Quaid starring Nick Cage would actually kill me.

Evil Captor
04-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Exit to Eden (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109758/?ref_=nv_sr_2). The main plot of the movie (2 cops follow a woman to an S&M-based island, hijinks ensue), and two of the main characters (the aforementioned 2 cops, played by Dan Aykroyd and Rosie O'Donnell), do not appear in the book at all. The book is about the relationship that develops between Dana Delany (whose breasts are the only redeeming quality of this film) and Paul Mercurio, which is pushed into the background in the film.

Well the thing about the book as well as the movie was the idea of a tropical island BDSM resort. Which is a great idea. And I think that's about the only thing Garry Marshall (Penny Marshall's husband, who made the film) was interested in from the book. Which is fine, I didn't really like the book and I found the idea of taking the BDSM resort and playing it for laughs fairly agreeable. There's a lot of humor potential in kinky sex. Done well, it coulda been a laff riot. But Marshall kinda failed on every front. He couldn't handle the kinky sex, milding it down until it was almost entirely absent, the humor fell flat at every turn, probably because he didn't have any sharp observational humor going because he couldn't handle the kinky sex.

Frankly, it felt like "Laverne and Shirley go to a kinky resort" only without Laverne and Shirley, and very little kink.

So, yeah ... bad movie. But not in my opinion endearingly so. Just kind of a mess.

CalMeacham
04-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Well the thing about the book as well as the movie was the idea of a tropical island BDSM resort. Which is a great idea. And I think that's about the only thing Garry Marshall (Penny Marshall's husband, who made the film) was interested in from the book. Which is fine, I didn't really like the book and I found the idea of taking the BDSM resort and playing it for laughs fairly agreeable. There's a lot of humor potential in kinky sex. Done well, it coulda been a laff riot. But Marshall kinda failed on every front. He couldn't handle the kinky sex, milding it down until it was almost entirely absent, the humor fell flat at every turn, probably because he didn't have any sharp observational humor going because he couldn't handle the kinky sex.

Frankly, it felt like "Laverne and Shirley go to a kinky resort" only without Laverne and Shirley, and very little kink.

So, yeah ... bad movie. But not in my opinion endearingly so. Just kind of a mess.

I'd heard about this book/movie combination. I've neither read the book nor seen the movie, but I suspect the difference between the book asnd movie, measured all ways, is still greater for Heinlein's starship Troopers. I can't tell without further research, but I'm really not interested.

Interesting thing -- I heard Rosi O'Donnell talking about this film, and she says that they brought her and Dan Ayckroyd back months later to film more scenes, because they felt what they had wasn't funny enough*. Unfortunately, as she tells it, she'd put on some weight between the original scenes and the re-shoot. "So skinny me walks out of one room and fat me walks in another." Just another measure of how good the film was.

*I suspect it didn't help at all, though.

AHunter3
04-03-2015, 05:36 PM
a) French Kiss (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/french_kiss/). I find it cute

b) Stephen King's remake of his own The Shining (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118460/?ref_=nv_sr_2) which I like so much better than Stanley Kubrick's version.

c) speaking of whom, The Langoliers (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/stephen_kings_the_langoliers/?search=the%20langoliers), a made-for-TV movie I like rewatching

d) Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cannibal_women_in_the_avocado_jungle_of_death/). It may help if you were once a women's studies major.

simply_cats
04-03-2015, 06:02 PM
I'm going to cast another vote for Sharknado. Absolutely everything about the film is implausible, cliche, and "B" movie- and I LOVE it!

I'm also going to add City of Angels because of the only scene I can remember. Meg Ryan's character is riding a bike, goes off into the road, and suddenly the screen is filled with the grill of a Mack truck. It couldn't have been more over the top if they'd simply filled the screen with a big yellow comic book star with the word "POW!" in a cartoony font.

Quercus alba
04-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Dark Star (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069945/?ref_=nv_sr_5)

kopek
04-03-2015, 07:30 PM
A really hideous movie, if you know anything about history or know anyone who does Living History (re-enacting), is Revolution with Al Pacino. Its a hard toss-up who sucks most in the movie - him and Donald Sutherland or everyone else. It's become a running joke at Old Fort Niagara "ya want some eats boy?"

burpo the wonder mutt
04-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Amazon Women on the Moon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092546/?ref_=nv_sr_1). It's trying so hard to be "Kentucky Fried Movie."

The Other Waldo Pepper
04-03-2015, 07:54 PM

Beaten to the correction, but, man, just imagine that movie with Dennis Quaid as the President -- possibly with Randy Quaid as not-Roger-Clinton-or-Billy-Carter.

madsircool
04-04-2015, 09:35 PM
And I think that's about the only thing Garry Marshall (Penny Marshall's husband, who made the film)

FTR, he is Pennys brother.

kayaker
04-04-2015, 09:45 PM
FTR, he is Pennys brother.

She married her brother?:eek:

DCnDC
04-04-2015, 09:55 PM
Mom and Dad Save the World. I forget about this movie until it comes on, and I always end up watching it. Some people just don't like Jon Lovitz, but I don't have that problem. This is probably his perfect role.

MsKaren
04-04-2015, 11:38 PM
I like many of these films myself but must drop in with 'The Stuff' a Michael Moriarty film about killer yogurt. Of course any film he's in is automatically good.

I realize that most of his films and, of course, Law and Order are wonderful by anybody's standards, and those films rank among my favorites. We are however talking "bad films."

"The Stuff' has many of my other favorite character actors as well. Michael Moriarty also delivers, in response to 'You're not as dumb as you appear to be,' the classic line 'No one is as dumb as I appear to be.'

I also liked him in 'Q' which was about the return of Quetzalcoatl. I liked him in the creepy made for TV miniseries of Salem's Lot.

madsircool
04-05-2015, 12:22 AM
She married her brother?:eek:

He is really her brother; any activity they engage in behind closed doors is their business.

Wile E
04-05-2015, 01:09 AM
Big Trouble in Little China, IMHO, Kurt Russell's best bad movie.

Also, if Fifth Element is considered a bad movie then I'll say that one, too.

Evil Captor
04-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Big Trouble in Little China, IMHO, Kurt Russell's best bad movie.

I would tend to use the term "brilliant" rather than bad to describe "Big Trouble in Little China." I cannot think of any respect in which it was bad.

DrDeth
04-07-2015, 12:49 PM

That's not a bad movie at all, Sure the critics didnt understand it, and box office was only OK, but it wasnt bad.

Bad Films I enjoy: 1941, Doc Savage, Last action hero, Mystery Men , Flash Gordon (Queen soundtrack is great!) , UHF, and others.

DCnDC
04-11-2015, 11:41 PM

This post reminded me of this so I had to track it down. Watching it right now. It looked bad even for the time, like a made-for-TV SyFy flick, but it really is a much better movie than that. And starring Rutger Hauer always scores a movie extra points.

Coffeecup
04-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965) starring Tura Satana.

ftg
04-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965) starring Tura Satana.

C'mon, Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens is vastly superior film.

Wile E
04-13-2015, 12:14 PM
I would tend to use the term "brilliant" rather than bad to describe "Big Trouble in Little China." I cannot think of any respect in which it was bad.

I think it has good ratings on IMBD and I'm not sure about Rotten Tomatoes, but I have heard it disparaged elsewhere and when people talk about Kurt Russell they never mention this movie, like it's some kind of dirty secret.

DKW
04-13-2015, 10:41 PM
The first two Fast And The Furious movies. I still don't know what the hell everyone was expecting here. Look, nobody in Hollywood gives a crap about making the engines sound right or proper shifting terminology or the correct pronunciation of "NoS" or wrapping up a drag race in 10 real time seconds. But if you want death-defying hijacks, spectacular jumps, legitimately sympathetic antiheroes, truly nasty yet strangely appealing bad guys, troubled love interests, and, oh yeah, lots of vehicles tearing it up and flipping off the law, look no further. Bonus points for showing the usual result of what happens when you places several incredibly fast vehicles in close proximity, something which was lost somewhat in the later films. Oh, and the first movie has the best motorcycle work I've ever seen in a movie.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It worked for what it was, which is what the Indiana Jones has always been about, an improbably durable college professor battling tooth and nail to save the day. I don't get any of the criticisms. Willie from Temple of Doom was ten thousand times as irritating as Mutt, and I completely fail to see how a refrigerator ride and benevolent monkeys are terrible sins but being able to use an arm which took a bullet at point-blank range, surviving a mountain landing in a raft, or jamming a tank barrel with a rock are perfectly acceptable.

Ranchoth
04-14-2015, 05:14 AM
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It worked for what it was, which is what the Indiana Jones has always been about, an improbably durable college professor battling tooth and nail to save the day. I don't get any of the criticisms. Willie from Temple of Doom was ten thousand times as irritating as Mutt, and I completely fail to see how a refrigerator ride and benevolent monkeys are terrible sins but being able to use an arm which took a bullet at point-blank range, surviving a mountain landing in a raft, or jamming a tank barrel with a rock are perfectly acceptable.

I hear ya. I can't help but wonder if the complaints are a result of audiences being used to more "sophisticated" ("It HAS to be good—it's all, like, gritty and violent and covered with dirt!") movie fare these days...or maybe just the bitter smarting of old fans who, despite getting their hopes ridiculously up, were not in fact transmogrified back into 12 year olds again as soon as the movie started.

Okay, I'm being a tad overly snide, on that last bit. ;) But my point being that Nostalgia can be a cruel goddess. She blots out the bad, and moves the good to Sugarcandy Mountain.

Gyrate
04-14-2015, 06:48 AM
I hear ya. I can't help but wonder if the complaints are a result of audiences being used to more "sophisticated" ("It HAS to be good—it's all, like, gritty and violent and covered with dirt!") movie fare these days...or maybe just the bitter smarting of old fans who, despite getting their hopes ridiculously up, were not in fact transmogrified back into 12 year olds again as soon as the movie started.No, it was because it took the more ridiculous bits of the first three movies - things which one could reasonably suspend disbelief for in context - and played them up to an extent that strained both that suspension of disbelief and one's tolerance for annoying things. It was like having a Star Wars sequel where Jar-Jar's grandkids are all Jedi.

For example: in the first three films the Mystic Macguffin only really does its thing at the climax of the film. The Crystal Skull was being all mystical from the very start: It's magnetic! It drives you crazy and/or gives you secret visions! It repels ants! It opens doors! It summons transdimensional aliens! It's a floor wax, a dessert topping AND a deus ex machina!

Speaking of the climax - yet another "main bad guy attempts to use Mystic Macguffin to obtain ultimate power and gets their head melted" moment, like we've seen twice before. Yawn.

Plus: Shia La Boeuf. Admittedly not nearly as bad as Screaming Willie but still pretty annoying.

Frankly if it wasn't for Karen Allen the film would be a complete writeoff. There's something very satisfying about watching Karen Allen punch people.

Sailboat
04-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Does Iron Sky count? The movie itself wasn't very entertaining. But the premise makes me smile every time I think of it. Two words, and only two words, sum up the plot: moon Nazis.

A movie about moon Nazis doesn't have to be good!

Boyo Jim
04-14-2015, 09:36 AM
As I recall there was one Hotsie Nazi!

CalMeacham
04-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Does Iron Sky count? The movie itself wasn't very entertaining. But the premise makes me smile every time I think of it. Two words, and only two words, sum up the plot: moon Nazis.

A movie about moon Nazis doesn't have to be good!

As I've mentioned on this Board, there's a trailer out for Iron Sky 2 that blew me away, showing Nazis riding Dinosaurs inside the hollow earth, nuclear war in Washington, and reptilian human impersonators. The effects look great, but they're evidently trying to crowdfund this movie still.

I hadn't heard about the first Iron Sky when I saw the trailer in January. It looks like a beautiful CGI trailer for what will probably be an awful movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPwtDjzJMI

Robot Arm
04-14-2015, 10:39 AM
As I recall there was one Hotsie Nazi!There really should be five of them.

DrDeth
04-14-2015, 12:24 PM
As I recall there was one Hotsie Nazi!

Here's a Hotsie Nazi for ya!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilsa,_She_Wolf_of_the_SS

Really Not All That Bright
04-14-2015, 12:59 PM
The Fifth Element, though I gather views on it were split roughly evenly. I loved almost everything about it: the aesthetics, the soundtrack, the plot, Chris Tucker, and so on. Weirdly, the only thing I didn't like was Mila Jovovich. I don't find her attractive at all and all the references to her being (physically) perfect kind of ruined my suspension of disbelief.

Willow. It was a huge flop, but again I loved everything about it. Having said that, I haven't watched it all the way through since I was a kid. Maybe I'd hate it now.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.