PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds that the movie adaptation of The Martian will succeed?

Habeed
04-01-2015, 04:53 PM
The Martian (http://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-Novel-Andy-Weir-ebook/dp/B00EMXBDMA) is a novel, independently published by a first time author, about an astronaut stranded on Mars.

I found it be be a fantastically good read. The primary reason is the tone : the sarcastic, humorous tone of the books protagonist is extremely entertaining to read. The second thing is that except for a couple of subtle details, the book is realistic. Space travel, physics, the way equipment works is mostly correct.

Anyways, per the IMDB page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/), it's getting a full court press adaptation treatment. Big name actors, a proportional budget, etc. Hollywood knows what a winner looks like, sometimes.

And I've been thinking back to times when a book adaptation was done into a movie.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Hunt for Red October. The Harry Potter films. Game of Thrones. Apollo 13. Gone Girl.

And I've noticed a clear trend :

1. If the original book was well written with a coherent, sensible plot
AND
2. The movie actually faithfully adapted the book, changing things only by leaving out minor details to fit within 2 hours

The movie is a success. Hollywood consistently seems to believe that audiences are collectively stupid, I think. It seems to believe that they won't notice glaring plot holes, that they won't care if the action is unrealistic and CGI and machine guns have limitless ammo, that they won't care if the same cliches used in 5000 other movies are reused again.

But, when Hollywood actually writes a sensible script, it often succeeds.

Is my assessment true? Out of all the movie-> book adaptations in the last 30 years of film (I'm limiting it to the last 30 years because that's the era of modern special effects, when you can actually take a book about a fantastical environment and put it on the big screen without it looking stupid), how often are faithful adaptations of decent books a failure?

I can think of a few failures, but in those, the script of the movie had no resemblance whatsoever to the events in the book they were based on. The characters had the same names, but pretty much everything else was different. (such as the Eragon film)

John DiFool
04-01-2015, 05:16 PM
I found it be be a fantastically good read. The primary reason is the tone : the sarcastic, humorous tone of the books protagonist is extremely entertaining to read. The second thing is that except for a couple of subtle details, the book is realistic. Space travel, physics, the way equipment works is mostly correct.

I'm 40% through it right now, and it is indeed a page turner. I was, as a person with a zoologist degree, had a bit of my disbelief unsuspended when the author seemed to indicate that he thought that plants only photosynthesize (C02 in, O2 out), when of course they respire like animals too (O2 in, C02 out).

Anyway, for this one I am willing to bet a fair amount of money that any adaptation will introduce aliens. :smack:

I can recall a fair amount of horrid adaptations over the last 15 years or so-the worst was probably the Earthsea one, which was so FUBARed from the source material that the author herself disowned the entire thing.

Frazzled
04-01-2015, 05:19 PM
I just finished reading "The Martian" a few weeks ago. Very good book, and should be fairly easy to adapt to the big screen without major changes. My only gripe with the book is that secondary characters were pretty shallow, so I'm interested to see how some of the actors can breath a little more life into them. My vote is that it will be a very successful movie true to the book.

Habeed
04-01-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm 40% through it right now, and it is indeed a page turner. I was, as a person with a zoologist degree, had a bit of my disbelief unsuspended when the author seemed to indicate that he thought that plants only photosynthesize (C02 in, O2 out), when of course they respire like animals too (O2 in, C02 out).

Only in darkness. Some plants may not require that period of darkness.

In any case, it is irrelevant to the plot - he's got a machine that can crack CO2 + energy -> CO + O2. Since he's got limitless CO2 to work with (the thin atmosphere of Mars, and he's got compressors) this isn't a problem.

The 2 significant errors I know about :

1. The event that gets him stranded at all is not possible because the equations for wind force have the pressure of the gas in them. The atmosphere of mars is too close to vacuum for there to be any significant wind force, no matter how fast the wind is moving.

2. The heat radiators for the nuclear-electric interplanetary spaceship are described as a "lattice". I emailed the author about this, and he told me that he was thinking about the "lattice" of radiator fins that modern CPU coolers use. This won't work in a vacuum - fins facing each other will just radiate heat back and forth to each other and won't shed net heat. The only viable design for vacuum heat radiators is a big flat plate with lines of sight to the background of space on both sides. Hopefully, the CGI model for the Hermes will look right.

He also had the nuclear reactor inside a compartment in the Hermes. He told me in the email he meant to say that the reactor controls were in a pressurized compartment, since you would never want to put a spacecraft nuclear reactor close to the crew. (for maximizing power:mass ratios, you put the reactor on a lightweight boom away from the crew, and you don't shield the sides of it that are not facing the crew compartment.)

Thudlow Boink
04-01-2015, 05:21 PM
My only gripe with the book is that secondary characters were pretty shallowCan't be any worse than Wilson from Cast Away.

Frazzled
04-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Can't be any worse than Wilson from Cast Away.

Nah, Wilson wasn't shallow, he just felt flat to me

iiandyiiii
04-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Nah, Wilson wasn't shallow, he just felt flat to me

Really? I thought he was pretty well rounded.

Frazzled
04-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Really? I thought he was pretty well rounded.

A potato would be more believable :-)

iiandyiiii
04-02-2015, 04:51 PM
I thought Wilson bounced off the screen.

MaxTheVool
04-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Anyway, for this one I am willing to bet a fair amount of money that any adaptation will introduce aliens. :smack:

Seriously? I will take that bet.

Miller
04-02-2015, 07:23 PM

Don't do it, Max! It's a sucker bet!

On Mars, humans are aliens!

Sage Rat
04-02-2015, 07:58 PM

I won't take the bet that they add aliens, but I will bet that if they do add them, they'll leave it purposefully vague as to whether the main character is hallucinating them or that there are actually real aliens.

MaxTheVool
04-02-2015, 08:00 PM
I won't take the bet that they add aliens, but I will bet that if they do add them, they'll leave it purposefully vague as to whether the main character is hallucinating them or that there are actually real aliens.

I agree. I'd say there's 0.5% chance they will add aliens, and 3.5% that they will add a scene where he's dehydrated or something and thinks maybe he sees aliens, and 80% that if there is such a scene it will end up ambiguously featured in a trailer.

foolsguinea
04-02-2015, 11:16 PM
If he knows the difference between a chromosome and a base pair, he's already ahead of the game.

Peter Morris
04-03-2015, 09:31 AM
It's a great book, but I think a 90 minute movie won't do it justice. There's too much plot to fit into such a small time. A 4-hour miniseries would be better. My prediction is that they will cut out some key scenes for time reasons.

Guessing what they'll cut and change:
- using the old probe to get messages in binary. Change that to direct 2-way speech.
- Cut out a lot of discussion, have them decide on the return to Mars a lot earlier.
- Cut out the rocket that blows up. Go straight to the second rocket that succeeds.
- cut out the dust storm that he has to drive around. Or maybe he gets warning over his 2-way radio, rather than works it out himself.

carnivorousplant
04-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the news about the film, Habeed.

Peter Morris
04-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Oh, another change to the book, I predict the character Mitch Henderson will die horribly.

Blank Slate
04-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Oh, another change to the book, I predict the character Mitch Henderson will die horribly.

Ha ha. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why Henderson would die in the first place. Here is the cast (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/) for anyone else missing the joke.
Matt Damon is a little old to portray Watney, but that's a minor quibble. Solid cast, although they won't have much to do if it's true to the book.

Jonathan Chance
04-03-2015, 12:42 PM
November 15? Man that's moving fast.

carnivorousplant
04-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Ha ha. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why Henderson would die in the first place. Here is the cast (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/) for anyone else missing the joke.

I still don't get it.

Peter Morris
04-03-2015, 01:29 PM
I still don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCfJJerHiE

carnivorousplant
04-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Thanks. :)

foolsguinea
04-03-2015, 06:58 PM
You know, Sean Bean has played a lead that didn't die once or twice.

carnivorousplant
04-03-2015, 07:17 PM
You know, Sean Bean has played a lead that didn't die once or twice.

How does one die twice?
Well, I guess they are movies, after all.
:)

teela brown
06-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Some good-looking images (http://thefilmstage.com/news/matt-damon-gets-stranded-in-first-images-from-ridley-scotts-the-martian/) have been released.

The Stainless Steel Rat
06-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Some good-looking images (http://thefilmstage.com/news/matt-damon-gets-stranded-in-first-images-from-ridley-scotts-the-martian/) have been released.

Now if the movie is half as good as Mars looks....

I picked up the book last year after hearing about it on NPR. Literally could not put it down (except for sleep and work) and finished it in tow days. Liked it so much I bought another copy and donated it to my local HS library.

I agree...no aliens, and I wonder if they'll mention the 'fertilizer'...

Damn, I have to get the book back out and read it again now.

carnivorousplant
06-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Cool, Teela, thanks!

E-DUB
06-04-2015, 09:13 PM
"Kristin Wiig"? WTF?

teela brown
06-05-2015, 03:19 PM
A couple of trailers are up on youtube, as well.

Here's the longer one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-duq1iMkWU).

Frazzled
06-05-2015, 03:28 PM
A couple of trailers are up on youtube, as well.

Here's the longer one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-duq1iMkWU).

That's a fake trailer - I don't think any real trailers for this film have been released yet. The ones that are out there are hodge podge from other movies and video games.

Renee
06-05-2015, 03:59 PM
I love the design of the space suit. Better than I'd pictured it.

Frazzled
06-05-2015, 04:08 PM
I love the design of the space suit. Better than I'd pictured it.

Agreed - they look great! I notice the images have blue skies while Mars should be more of a salmon color. The outdoor pictures must be production stills, or just not quite finished with sfx yet. I'm impressed with the look so far though - really looking forward to it!

MrDibble
06-05-2015, 04:24 PM
I can think of a few failures, but in those, the script of the movie had no resemblance whatsoever to the events in the book they were based on. The characters had the same names, but pretty much everything else was different. (such as the Eragon film)
You really think it was lack of fidelity that made the Eragon film a flop?

Blank Slate
06-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Trailer. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4PCI0NamI)

Really looking forward to this fi!m.

RandMcnally
06-08-2015, 10:19 AM
I'm so very excited for this film, and the marketing leading up to it.

Yesterday the film released a "video diary" of the Aries 3 crew (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CumZP6_9sHU) saying their farewell, as they were about to embark on their 150 day trip. Yesterday was 150 days out from the release of the film, so it seems as if they'll be doing some real time stuff, which I think is pretty cool.

Munch
06-08-2015, 10:36 AM
"Kristin Wiig"? WTF?

What's the problem? She was quite good in Walter Mitty.

Frylock
06-08-2015, 10:47 AM
"Kristin Wiig"? WTF?

In more than one film now she has proven herself to have considerable dramatic chops.

teela brown
06-08-2015, 11:17 AM

That looks awesome.

The Stainless Steel Rat
06-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Oh my.

My very first thought when I heard they were making this movie was "please Hollywood, don't F*** this up."

From the trailer, it looks like they just might (might I say) have gotten it right.

T-150 days and counting...

Thudlow Boink
06-08-2015, 12:54 PM
To me, the half-second of WTF didn't come from seeing Kristen Wiig but Donald Glover.

The trailer does, indeed, look great. However, like too many trailers, it's too spoilery for my taste. Not an issue for me personally, since I've read (well, listened to) the book; but I'm glad I went into the book knowing less about what was going to happen than that trailer reveals.

Frazzled
06-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Beautiful! Looks spot on! This is really the only must see movie this year for me and I can't wait!

Hampshire
06-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Never read the book and just saw the trailer today. Is there any reason to see this film now? They just told me 80% of the story.
There's a mission on Mars, a Mars storm is coming so the have to evacuate the planet, Matt Damon gets left behind presumed dead but not for sure, government/nasa say "yeah, he's dead", Damon has to survive, figures out how to grow food, figures out how to send message, message is received, mission to save Damon, mission is dangerous, will mission be successful??
I'm glad the trailer just elimated any possible dramatic tension of "what's going to happen next?" cause who needs that?

standingwave
06-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Never read the book and just saw the trailer today. Is there any reason to see this film now? They just told me 80% of the story.

Well, the book told me 100% of the story and I'm still planning on seeing the film.

But I get your point about the spoilery trailer. I'm a big James Bond fan and ate up every trailer for Skyfall. When I finally saw the film it quickly dawned on me that I had already seen pretty much every scene. In fact, I even toyed with the idea of trying to assemble the film from the trailer, just for the hell of it.

carnivorousplant
06-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Perhaps they are reassuring readers that they have not screwed up the plot of the book.

standingwave
06-08-2015, 04:23 PM
Perhaps they are reassuring readers that they have not screwed up the plot of the book.

Consider me reassured. So far they seem to have included:

The dust storm that forced the emergency evacuation and presumably killed Watney in the first place. Andy Weir has stated that this is the least scientific part of the story but he left it in as a plot device to strand the astronaut. With 1/100 the atmospheric pressure of Earth, a dust storm simply isn't going to be that violent.
Hermes looks great.
Hab looks great.
The hydrogen explosion. Check.
Potato field. Check.
The Hermes mutiny. Check.
The Air lock explosion. Check.
Stripped down MAV. Check.

carnivorousplant
06-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Consider me reassured.

Are you being reassured, or complaining? :)

Stuffy
06-08-2015, 07:16 PM
I read it last year, I agree great book. My bet, it will be compared to Mission to Mars. It shares too many similar plot points.

Miller
06-08-2015, 09:44 PM
There's a mission on Mars, a Mars storm is coming so the have to evacuate the planet, Matt Damon gets left behind presumed dead but not for sure, government/nasa say "yeah, he's dead", Damon has to survive, figures out how to grow food, figures out how to send message, message is received, mission to save Damon, mission is dangerous, will mission be successful??
I'm glad the trailer just elimated any possible dramatic tension of "what's going to happen next?" cause who needs that?

I can tell you 100% of the story right now: "Astronaut must survive being stranded on Mars." This is, at least in the book, a story very much about the details. The basic story structure here is, "Mark Whatney solves problem; something breaks creating new problem; Mark Whatney solves problem. Repeat until rescued." The joy of the book is his inventiveness in fixing things, and the humor he uses to describe his predicaments. Given that, the trailer isn't actually all that spoilery. "He grows some food," isn't the interesting part: it's watching him figure out how to grow it that's fun. How well that will translate to film is questionable, though, particularly given how much of Whatney's character, the nature of the problems he's facing, and the nature of his solutions, is conveyed through first-person narration. I have no idea how they're going to do the pirate ninja thing, for example, short of having Matt Damon just sit there and narrate it into a camera, and that's one of the funniest parts of the book.

standingwave
06-09-2015, 02:35 AM
Are you being reassured, or complaining? :)

Some of both.

Reassured that they're staying true to the book.

Complaining on behalf of those who didn't read the book. I would have preferred a somewhat more enigmatic trailer.

But such is the nature of trailers today. Still, I'm seeing this when it hits the theaters and I've read the book. So that should tell you something.

The journey is the story. And there is plenty of story. Did anyone really think Tom Hanks was going to die on that island?

DrFidelius
06-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Count me in as one who is now interested in seeing the film. I don't get to hepped up about movies nowadays but I have been enjoying the handful of "realistic" space films we have been getting lately (Europa Report, Gravity, Interstellar).

So, while he is Rube Goldberging the Hab module to allow him to survive until earliest possible rescue, and is unsure that anyone knows he is still alive, the main ship is going to try to reprovision on the fly and slingshot arond Earth to go back for him? Cool.

Mangetout
06-09-2015, 03:42 PM

Only in darkness. Some plants may not require that period of darkness.

No, all the time. Plants respire in darkness. In light, they respire *and* photosynthesise simultaneously.

John Mace
06-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Oh, boy. A Matt Damon movie. I haven't seen him in a movie since... 3 days ago.

standingwave
06-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Count me in as one who is now interested in seeing the film. I don't get to hepped up about movies nowadays but I have been enjoying the handful of "realistic" space films we have been getting lately (Europa Report, Gravity, Interstellar).

So, while he is Rube Goldberging the Hab module to allow him to survive until earliest possible rescue, and is unsure that anyone knows he is still alive, the main ship is going to try to reprovision on the fly and slingshot arond Earth to go back for him? Cool.

Rich Purnell is a steely-eyed missile man.

campp
06-09-2015, 05:13 PM
So looking forward to this movie.

- From the guy who loves survival stories (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=578326).

The Stainless Steel Rat
06-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Rich Purnell is a steely-eyed missile man.

They DAMN well better have that line in the movie!! :mad:;)

Habeed
06-09-2015, 06:10 PM
No, all the time. Plants respire in darkness. In light, they respire *and* photosynthesise simultaneously.

Net reaction. Draw a flowchart of a life support system. Only the net reactions matter at each stage.

carnivorousplant
06-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Net reaction. Draw a flowchart of a life support system. Only the net reactions matter at each stage.

I was under the impression that plants produced oxygen in light, and CO2 in darkness.

Habeed
06-09-2015, 07:15 PM
I was under the impression that plants produced oxygen in light, and CO2 in darkness.

Mangetout wants everyone to know that technically only part of the plant is photosynthesizing at a given time, and the rest of the plant is using energy produced by that portion. The krebs cycle may even be going on inside the chloroplast containing cells in the leaves.

The net reaction, though, is overall the plant is releasing more oxygen than it consumes elsewhere, and consuming more CO2 than it releases.

carnivorousplant
06-09-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Habeed.

Munch
06-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Oh, boy. A Matt Damon movie. I haven't seen him in a movie since... 3 days ago.

Boy, what a good reason to not want to see a movie. Did you catch a 5th run showing of Interstellar lately, 7 months after its release? Or maybe a toddler in the house that won't sleep unless he sees Monument Men before bedtime, 16 months after it was first seen in theaters? I get it - he just pumps out movies left and right that no one can get away from. I mean, just look at that massive $219,438 gross from his other 2014 movie, The Zero Theorem!

And I thought blindly questioning a movie simply because they had cast the very capable Kristin Wiig was threadshitting. When did we start judging a movie based on performances we haven't seen yet? I understand disliking a premise, or a plot device, or even a director or screenwriter. But actors that have shown themselves to be pretty versatile? Weird.

E-DUB
06-09-2015, 10:17 PM
For the record, I'm looking forward to seeing this, but was just expressing surprise at seeing Wiig in the preview. (I know her only from SNL.)

cmyk
06-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Absolutely loved the book, now one of my all time faves. When I heard Scott was making this into a feature film, I was only slightly skeptical, because IMHO he has a better track record directing science fiction than epic dramas.

I figured as long as they stuck as close as possible to the book, and have Damon do video diary entries, there's a good shot it'll be one of his best films.

After seeing the trailer, it might have a good shot at being one of the best films period. *fingers crossed*

Mangetout
06-10-2015, 01:00 AM

Not to the plant.

The purpose of photosynthesis is to produce food; the purpose of respiration is to be alive. The plant doesn't give a hoot about how it nets out (and indeed it doesn't necessarily net out as simply as that in all cases).
The statement 'plants only respire in darkness' is a false one.

Peter Morris
06-10-2015, 04:35 AM
XKCD is excited about it.

http://xkcd.com/1536/

Habeed
06-10-2015, 08:35 AM
The statement 'plants only respire in darkness' is a false one.
Perhaps, but you won't impress any life support engineers that way. From the perspective of an astronaut stuck on Mars, this detail is irrelevant to his or her survival.

Frazzled
06-11-2015, 05:11 PM
The release date has been bumped up from a Thanksgiving release to October 2nd - so we don't have to wait as long! Yea!

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/54069/20150611/the-martian-release-date-change-reason-matt-damon-ridley-scott-space-movie-moved-up.htm

Sounds like a smart move - movies perform well in October and there's a bit less competition so they can capitalize on that.

MostlyClueless
06-12-2015, 03:12 PM
One thing that's missing from the trailer; the sarcasm. Mark's dark (and dorky) humour is so essential to the character, and I'm really hoping Matt Damon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUa5oHgYV2k) can pull that off.

MostlyClueless
06-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Please disregard my last message; it's there, just not as pronounced as I remember it from the book.

carnivorousplant
06-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

He takes a device apart and cleans it while NASA is working on a solution.
Astronaut: I was right, it was just dirty.
NASA: You're a dick.

John Mace
06-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Boy, what a good reason to not want to see a movie. Did you catch a 5th run showing of Interstellar lately, 7 months after its release? Or maybe a toddler in the house that won't sleep unless he sees Monument Men before bedtime, 16 months after it was first seen in theaters? I get it - he just pumps out movies left and right that no one can get away from. I mean, just look at that massive $219,438 gross from his other 2014 movie, The Zero Theorem!

And I thought blindly questioning a movie simply because they had cast the very capable Kristin Wiig was threadshitting. When did we start judging a movie based on performances we haven't seen yet? I understand disliking a premise, or a plot device, or even a director or screenwriter. But actors that have shown themselves to be pretty versatile? Weird.

Matt Damon wasn't in Interstellar.

But point being, it would be nice to see a movie that didn't have one of the Hollywood standards in it. That is all.

Sage Rat
06-12-2015, 05:58 PM

But point being, it would be nice to see a movie that didn't have one of the Hollywood standards in it. That is all.

I haven't read the book, but I saw an interview with the author and he admitted that the character was largely based on himself. Judging by that, Matt Damon seems like pretty good casting as the idealized form of the author.

Snifit
06-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Did you see Interstaller?

Habeed
06-12-2015, 06:23 PM

According to a blog entry by a Tucker Max, when they were making the indie film I Hope they Serve Beer in Hell, they were told they could have a 15 million budget if they had a "bankable" movie star in it, but only a 3-4 million budget with no-names. (obviously, even after paying said star to appear, this would be a massive budget increase)

Frazzled
06-12-2015, 09:06 PM

Yes he was

John Mace
06-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Yes he was

Then that proves my point even more strongly. He's in movies that he's not even supposed to be in!!

carnivorousplant
06-13-2015, 07:06 AM
Then that proves my point even more strongly. He's in movies that he's not even supposed to be in!!

You can't argue with that.
:)

jsc1953
06-15-2015, 12:47 PM

Ridley Scott (in the link) says the story reminds him of a "21st Century Robinson Crusoe", but nobody seems to have made the obvious connection to Robinson Crusoe on Mars (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058530/?ref_=nv_sr_2) (a darn good flick).

VanLandry
06-17-2015, 09:44 AM
The release date has been bumped up from a Thanksgiving release to October 2nd - so we don't have to wait as long! Yea!

I suck at math.. can someone convert this to sols remaining until it's release?

Stephe96
06-21-2015, 06:04 AM
I'm a little busy growing potatoes and watching Three's Company to figure out your math problems

teela brown
08-19-2015, 12:00 PM
'nother trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej3ioOneTy8) just out. It looks very 2001-y.

Frazzled
08-19-2015, 01:36 PM
I'm a little busy growing potatoes and watching Three's Company to figure out your math problems

Have you moved on to Disco yet?

One Sol (Martian Day) is 24 hours, 37 minutes so, for all practical purposes in the time we have until the movie comes out it, the number of sol's will be the same as the number of days.

The new trailer looks great - and there is a degree of sarcasm in Watney's recordings. I think it will work nicely.

One thing I hope they do (spoilered because it's about how the book ends)

All that work to rescue Watney and yet he never wrote about the reunion or reactions to his rescue. I felt a bit cheated just having the basic diary entry. I hope they have a better resolution and epilogue in the movie.

carnivorousplant
08-19-2015, 01:49 PM
One thing I hope they do (spoilered because it's about how the book ends)

All that work to rescue Watney and yet he never wrote about the reunion or reactions to his rescue. I felt a bit cheated just having the basic diary entry. I hope they have a better resolution and epilogue in the movie.

Concerning the same spoiler:

I think there will be much back slapping and embracing, then fade and music.

Habeed
08-19-2015, 09:12 PM
I'm a lot more stoked. The second trailer seems to match the book much more closely than my impressions from the first trailer.

1. The "science the shit out of this" line I found a little jarring because it wasn't said in the book, but "I'm the planet's best botanist" was either in the book or is totally in character.

2. I saw a lot of pieces from VFX shots that looked like exact matches from the book, implying they will follow it closely

3. I had the impression that when he gets that certain thing hooked up, and it shows Houston what's going on in the trailer, that it was implying that thing was capable of a video link when it clearly didn't have the bandwidth given the age of the electronics. But, actually, the video records are Watney's journal - they were audio or written in the storyline of the book, but, either way, Watney knows he is probably going to die, he just wants us, the audience, to have a record of what happened, since he knows that eventually these records will be found as NASA's computers are really really reliable and good about retaining data. Even if it's 20 years before an expedition visits the base he was at to recover his body, you can pretty much bet that all the data would still be intact.

4. It captures some of the strongest scenes in the book. First we see it from Watney's perspective, then we see his actions - that make perfect sense to him - from the perspective of Earth, where they, despite being the best and the brightest, can't always figure out what he is up to.

carnivorousplant
08-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Spoiler from book:

NASA: You're a dick.

Rick Kitchen
08-19-2015, 09:55 PM
I'm looking forward to it, I'm reading the book right now and I love Watney's snark. I hope that comes through in the movie.

But there are a couple of things that are bugging me:
Chiwetel Ejiofor plays Venkat Kapoor. Okaaaaayyyyyy.
Rooney Mara plays the "beautiful" Johansson.
Based on the cast list, it looks like the entire China storyline is dropped.
Korean scientist Mindy Park is played by blonde Mackenzie Davis.

JKilez
08-19-2015, 10:03 PM
1. The "science the shit out of this" line I found a little jarring because it wasn't said in the book, but "I'm the planet's best botanist" was either in the book or is totally in character.
That lines bugs me too, especially because "engineer the shit out of this" would make much more sense.

Alessan
08-20-2015, 02:10 AM
That lines bugs me too, especially because "engineer the shit out of this" would make much more sense.

Your sentence is more grammatical, and thus less funny.

MostlyClueless
08-20-2015, 04:32 AM
Also, more video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wygmxzp6VzY

Honey
09-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Here's a new trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pJvqv7aspQ).

Man, this looks good. I can't wait.

magnusblitz
09-07-2015, 03:50 PM
I read the book already knowing it was going to be turned into a movie, so maybe I was a bit influenced to me, but reading it made me think "OF COURSE they'll turn it into a movie." It's the sort of story that feels like it was written for the big screen instead.

Laggard
09-07-2015, 08:06 PM
I don't remember him having a son in the book. I can't recall how much his wife was involved in the story after he left earth (I remember it being minimal) and I'm wondering how they will insert the obligatory love story.

carnivorousplant
09-07-2015, 08:36 PM
I recall his being concerned about his parents, but not a Wife or child in the novel.

bb49
09-09-2015, 12:22 AM
It's good to see favourable comments on the book. I bought it a month ago and have been holding back, saving it for a couple of extended flights I'm taking tomorrow, hoping it will get me through several hours of mind numbing flying. Looks like it will.

Lightnin'
09-09-2015, 08:52 AM
I absolutely loved the book, and tried to get my wife to read it. She was resistant, though, 'cause she's not into hard sci-fi like I am.

Then she saw the trailer, read the book, and less than halfway through was recommending it to everyone she knows.

I think she just doesn't trust me.

ralph124c
09-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Lessee:
-stupid premise
-at odds with all that is known about Mars
-you know what will happen
Sounds like a big success!

carnivorousplant
09-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Lessee:
-stupid premise

Darned spoil sport. :dubious:

Raygun99
09-09-2015, 10:52 AM
I recall his being concerned about his parents, but not a Wife or child in the novel.
I'm reasonably confident that that's a misleading cut in the trailer, and those are actually Michael Pena's wife and child.

emarkp
09-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Lessee:
-stupid premise

Only "at odds" I know of is the windstorm, which the author has stated multiple times was a cheat to keep the narrative as "man vs. mars". He had a draft with mechanical problems causing the accident but scrapped it.

We rewatched Apollo 13 recently (yep, it holds up). It's 20-year-old movie that had a story with a known ending, had a scene which inspired "The Martian" (square peg in round hole) and was #3 box office gross of the year. #1 was Toy Story.

Snowboarder Bo
09-13-2015, 02:17 PM
I just saw an ad for this during the Packers-Bears game and they changed the line to "science the hell outta this", which sucks ass. I hope to was just because it's a televised ad, but if the film itself has that line, I swear to "Bob" I'll walk out of the theatre.

marshmallow
09-13-2015, 05:35 PM
I wonder if they'll include the gay rainbow goddess probe joke.

As opposed to other movies, where you're in the dark?

Spoiler for 95% of movies, even edgy indy ones:

The protagonist lives.
They get the girl or achieve their goal. Usually both.
In the unlikely event they do die, it won't be until towards the very end, so you can be sure they won't die for the first two hours.

carnivorousplant
09-13-2015, 05:47 PM
There is An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. :)

standingwave
09-22-2015, 09:33 PM
According to film review aggregator, Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_martian/), with 39 reviews logged, The Martian (2015) is:
97% fresh (positive reviews)
Average Rating: 7.4/10
Reviews Counted: 39
Fresh: 38
Rotten: 1 (negative review)
Critics Consensus: Smart, thrilling, and surprisingly funny, The Martian offers a faithful adaptation of the bestselling book that brings out the best in leading man Matt Damon and director Ridley Scott.

Bill Door
09-25-2015, 10:28 AM
I normally skip past commercials on TV, but I backed up to show my wife the trailer for The Martian, because I plan to see it, and wanted to see if she was interested. She guessed from the trailer that there would be a twist and Watney was never on Mars, the whole thing being a hoax on a soundstage for some reason. I didn't get that idea, but of course, I read the book months ago, and wasn't looking at it fresh like she was. Did anyone else get that from the trailer, or is she overreaching?

Gothic
09-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Sounds like she saw Capricorn 1 and it stuck with her, or she is visiting unhealthy web sites.

Saint Cad
09-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Sounds like she saw Capricorn 1 and it stuck with her, or she is visiting unhealthy web sites.

No that's real truth. They faked they Mars landing so no one would see GWB physically wiring the explosives in the WTC.

carnivorousplant
09-25-2015, 12:00 PM
No that's real truth. They faked they Mars landing so no one would see GWB physically wiring the explosives in the WTC.

Of course! That explains it all! :dubious:

oft wears hats
09-25-2015, 12:12 PM
Finished the audiobook earlier this week and loved it. Just watched the trailer and I'm rather excited to see the movie now, as well. I do think that they revealed too much in the trailer, but as others have mentioned, that's kind of the way it is these days. Still, I'm very encouraged by the positive reviews so far and I'll be seeing it on opening weekend if I can.

Bill Door
09-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Well, my wife is paranoid. Though sometimes I wonder if she's paranoid enough.

Gothic
09-25-2015, 01:42 PM
"How's Mom?" "She's on the roof".

carnivorousplant
09-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Is that a reference to the cat joke?

Gothic
09-25-2015, 01:50 PM
:) Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI4qYsP9oME

Habeed
09-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Per one of the review blurbs "Watney's fear for his own life takes a backseat to his stand-up, an attitude that is this consistently entertaining movie's biggest asset and also its flaw."

Personally, I found that to be compelling. There are people out there, who have the "right stuff", who will react to a life threatening situation with calmness and even humor. After a certain scene where he's in serious, serious trouble, he patches a couple leaks and takes a nap. He doesn't waste his remaining oxygen panicking. I found this to be compelling, even heroic, and I greatly enjoyed his blasse attitude towards life threatening situations, where he considers equipment failure and potential mortal peril to be "Tuesday".

Saint Cad
09-27-2015, 11:35 AM

No the best one was the poster whose mom got so scared of a horror movie a family member had to shower with her.

BrainGlutton
09-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Andrew O'Hehir: “The Martian” and the big Mars discovery: Here’s why we have to go, no matter what it costs
Was this week's big NASA announcement a movie tie-in or a leftist plot? Either way, Mars is calling (http://www.salon.com/2015/09/29/the_martian_and_the_big_mars_discovery_heres_why_we_have_to_go_no_matter_what_it_costs/)

lazybratsche
09-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Saw the trailer, read some of the hype online, and I got the book last Thursday. I was finished by Monday. It was a lot of fun -- probably not Great Litracha, but a really solid page turner. (However since I saw the trailer first, in my head I assigned the wrong actor's faces to most of the side characters...) I think I might even try to see the movie on opening weekend.

Also, more video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wygmxzp6VzY

Hah, that was the perfect way to get in the Aquaman digression! Obviously there's not a lot of time in a movie for all the random lengthy musings that happen while one is stranded on Mars. They've got to keep a few of the better zingers in the movie, but I'm glad they found a way to get some of the sillier bits out.

Hampshire
09-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Does the book get better as it goes? So far I've read through 4 chapters and it's a horrible slog.
Listening to someone solve a math story problem out loud step-by-step is pretty dull. "If I have an extra area of X x Y I can plant another Z amount of plants that will produce A amount of calories every B days that will last me C. Yay."
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

carnivorousplant
09-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Does the book get better as it goes?

Yes, it does.

Peter Morris
09-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Does the book get better as it goes? So far I've read through 4 chapters and it's a horrible slog.
Listening to someone solve a math story problem out loud step-by-step is pretty dull. "If I have an extra area of X x Y I can plant another Z amount of plants that will produce A amount of calories every B days that will last me C. Yay."
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

https://xkcd.com/1536/

lazybratsche
09-30-2015, 11:43 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

The rest of the book is stuffed full of even more technically detailed problem solving, briefly interspersed with Whatney's snark and with scenes back on Earth. If you think that's a slog you probably won't enjoy the rest.

standingwave
09-30-2015, 01:18 PM
The latest from film review aggregator, Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_martian/). With 66 reviews logged, The Martian (2015) is:
94% fresh (positive reviews)
Average Rating: 7.5/10
Reviews Counted: 66
Fresh: 62
Rotten: 4 (negative reviews)

Critics Consensus: Smart, thrilling, and surprisingly funny, The Martian offers a faithful adaptation of the bestselling book that brings out the best in leading man Matt Damon and director Ridley Scott.

Peter Morris
09-30-2015, 06:49 PM
I saw it today. When you have seen it, please add your thoughts in this thread.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=18731733#post18731733

BEWARE - UNBOXED SPOILERS IN THREAD.

msmith537
09-30-2015, 08:11 PM

Maybe if it were directed by Stephen Spielberg instead of Ridley Scott. Or possibly Michael Bay if those aliens turned into cars and trucks and blew everything up.

With Scott directing, I assume it will be an awesome sci-fi classic...or it will be Prometheus.

If Chris Nolan were directing, I would bet that Damon goes insane and tries to kill Matt McConaughey.

Peter Morris
09-30-2015, 08:35 PM
I've seen it - no aliens

DrFidelius
10-01-2015, 04:54 AM
That makes me very angry. Very angry indeed.

Is there at least an Earth-shattering kaboom?

Peter Morris
10-01-2015, 08:35 AM
two, actually

panache45
10-07-2015, 04:08 AM
I have nothing to add to this thread . . . except to say that I've seen it (in 3D) and loved it.

Habeed
10-26-2015, 12:07 AM
OP ANSWERED : The movie was a smash success (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=scott2016.htm). Can't really say what the odds of it being a success were, given it's only one data point, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. I mean, I knew it was a good story - look how long ago my OP was posted - but actually seeing the same events in 3d was awe inspiring.

Peter Morris
10-26-2015, 12:19 AM
According to IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/chart/top)it's the 139th best movie ever made.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.