PDA

View Full Version : Are there any story songs with happy endings?

Don Draper
04-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Seriously, think about it - I can't think of a single one from any era where the protagonists walked off into the sunset, happily ever after. Everyone dies miserably in story song --

Leader of the Pack (Shangri-Las) - Bad boy boyfriend gets killed in a reckless driving accident.

Ode to Billy Joe (Bobbie Gentry) - Family callously makes small talk about Billy Joe's suicide in front of the narrator (Billy Joe's sweetheart) over lunch, biscuits get passed around, slices of apple pie get eaten. As karmic retribution for their apathy, the whole family falls apart in the space of a year.

The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia (Vicki Lawrence) - innocent man gets set up by his floozy wife for the murder of her paramour; man gets hanged

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald IGordon Lightfoot) - Ship sinks, everybody drowns.

Scenes from an Italian Restaurant (Billy Joel) - Brenda & Eddie get divorced, realize they can't go home again and resort to nostalgically recalling their happier times before they got married while drowning their sorrows in red wine.

Jungleland (Bruce Springsteen) - Wayward girl falls through the cracks, dies anonymously in a seedy flophouse room.

Fast Car (Tracy Chapman) - Narrator realizes her lover is a deadbeat, and that her dreams of the two of them ever experiencing any social mobility will never happen, she kicks him to the curb and resigns herself to a life in the projects.

The nearest thing to a "happy ending" I can think of in a story song is Helen Reddy's "Angie Baby" in which at least the villain gets his just deserts. But frankly that song is just so bizarre it seems more like some songwriters' bad acid flashback. lyrics here. (http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/helen_reddy/angie_baby.html)

So, are there any story songs with happy endings?

buddha_david
04-01-2015, 11:59 PM
"Escape (The Piña Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes; presumably, the characters also look forward to a "happy ending" after the song ends. :D

PSXer
04-02-2015, 12:17 AM
The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota ("Weird Al" Yankovic) - dad strongly suggests that they'll be coming back again next year :)

Magicicada
04-02-2015, 12:49 AM
"...the whole damn bus is cheering and I can't believe I see/A hundred yellow ribbons round the old, the old oak tree..."

Cazzle
04-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Just when it seemed all was lost and our protagonists were outmanned, outgunned and on the brink of defeat "came the deafening roar of chickens in choppers".

-- Cows With Guns, Dana Lyons.

Magicicada
04-02-2015, 01:19 AM
A Boy Named Sue--Sue's Dad abandons the family, Sue grows up to be a tough guy and goes looking for Dad (a.k.a. The Son of a [long bleeping sound] Who Named Me Sue), Sue finds Dad and prepares to kill him, Dad explains his reason for the name (something along the lines of since he was going to abandon the family and wouldn't be there to see his son through his childhood he gave him a name that would get him teased and toughen him up, which to be frank never seemed like a really good reason to me), and Dad and Sue part ways as friends, although Sue still hates that name.

And speaking of Johnny Cash (although he didn't actually write A Boy Named Sue), I believe the auto factory worker in One Piece At A Time who smuggled out Cadillac parts in his lunch box did eventually manage to build himself a car.

Running Scared--Maybe not so much a story song, but the ending is unexpected given Roy Orbison's mournful delivery. Guy falls in love with a woman who had been in love with another man, and is terrified he will lose her to him again. Finally they encounter her former love, who seems very confident he can get her back, and in the last line of the song she turns away and leaves with the narrator.

Finally, I think we can all conclude Honey was much better off dead than married to Bobby Goldsboro.

Jeff Lichtman
04-02-2015, 01:36 AM
The Mary Ellen Carter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhop5VuLDIQ) - the song stops just short of the point where the laughing, drunken rats get their comeuppance.

One And Only Wanderers
04-02-2015, 01:41 AM
The Streets "A Grand Don't Come for Free"

The story develops over the album rather than just one song. Protagonist is over his ex and getting on OK by the end.

Ranger Jeff
04-02-2015, 01:43 AM
In Alice's Restaurant Massacre, Arlo didn't get drafted.

Your Great Darsh Face
04-02-2015, 03:02 AM
The little girl gets her Scarlet Ribbons so that her innocent faith in God will continue untainted.

Alessan
04-02-2015, 03:13 AM
"She's Leaving Home", the Beatles. Happy for her, anyway.

Claverhouse
04-02-2015, 04:22 AM
I always thought that Tom Jones' --- whom I would no more listen to than Elvis usually --- Delilah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delilah_%28Tom_Jones_song%29) was very funny. Exemplifies the effects of an incontinent lack of self-control...

Anyway, at the end the cops are coming, which is a happy ending for those of us who don't want psychopaths as neighbours.

Sir Prize
04-02-2015, 04:43 AM
Blinded by the light
Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun
Whoa, but mama that's where the fun is

Nava
04-02-2015, 04:52 AM
Does "tie a yellow ribbon" qualify?

TonySinclair
04-02-2015, 04:59 AM
Does "tie a yellow ribbon" qualify?

First one I thought of, too, but it was already mentioned above.

In PT-109 by Jimmy Dean, the hero aquits himself nobly (and grows up to be President, although I guess you could say his term didn't have a happy ending).

The Night Chicago Died, daddy came home safe.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer, he apparently gets away. It made Rose and Valerie happy, anyway.

Dervorin
04-02-2015, 06:47 AM
Ob-la-di, b-la-da (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/obladioblada.html), by The Beatles. The last verse starts

Yeah, happy ever after in the market place
Molly lets the children lend a hand (Foot!)

WOOKINPANUB
04-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Taylor Swift's Romeo and Juliet (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/taylorswift/lovestory.html)has an ending that actually chokes me up every time I hear it. I don't know why, it's kind of sappy really. Maybe I'm just jealous because I never had a romantic love story of my own.

OneCentStamp
04-02-2015, 07:41 AM
In Kenny Rogers' "Coward of the County," the titular coward shows himself not to be so, by beating the everliving shit out of the guys who [it is implied] raped his wife.

I wouldn't say any rape song has a "happy" ending, but that was at least a satisfying one.

Labdad
04-02-2015, 07:53 AM
"Saginaw, Michigan" (http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/classic-country/saginaw-michigan---lefty-frizzell-14966.html) by Lefty Frizzell

RTFirefly
04-02-2015, 07:54 AM
I can think of three Dylan story songs with reasonably positive endings.

1) "Went To See the Gypsy"

I went back to see the gypsy
It was nearly early dawn
The gypsy’s door was open wide
But the gypsy was gone
And that pretty dancing girl
She could not be found
So I watched that sun come rising
From that little Minnesota town

The sense of the ending, at least IMHO, is that though the gypsy's gone, he's perfectly OK with that; he doesn't really need whatever wisdom the gypsy had to offer him.

2) "Day of the Locusts"

I put down my robe, picked up my diploma
Took hold of my sweetheart and away we did drive
Straight for the hills, the black hills of Dakota
Sure was glad to get out of there alive

He and his girl successfully escape from one very weird graduation ceremony.

3) "Isis"

She said, “Where ya been?”
I said, “No place special”
She said, “You look different.”
I said, “Well, I guess”
She said, “You been gone.”
I said, “That’s only natural”
She said, “You gonna stay?”
"If you want me to, yes."

(Lyrics from "Isis" are as sung on the Desire album, and not those on the bobdylan.com (http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs) website.)

MrAtoz
04-02-2015, 07:54 AM
We found the mighty Bismarck, and then we cut her down (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sink_the_Bismark_%28song%29). Happy ending, unless you were a sailor on the Bismarck, I suppose.

Speaking of taut wartime adventure narratives, there's also Snoopy's Christmas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoopy%27s_Christmas), which ends with Snoopy and the Red Baron sharing a holiday toast, and Snoopy (our hero) saluting his host. The ending is ambivalent, though, because each knows they'll meet on some other day. Curse this war!

OneCentStamp
04-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Steve Miller's "Take The Money And Run" ends happily as long as you accept that you're expected to root for the people who killed a homeowner during a botched burglary and got away with it.

Doug K.
04-02-2015, 09:10 AM
Chuck Berry's "Little Marie" (sequel to Memphis, Tennesee) ends with:

Then she spoke and asked me to come back and see Marie
And live together in our home in Memphis, Tennessee.

Ethilrist
04-02-2015, 09:14 AM
The Devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat.
And he laid that golden fiddle on the ground at Johnny's feet.
Johnny said, "Devil, just come on back if you ever wanna try again,
I done told you once—you son of a bitch—I'm the best that's ever been."

Max Torque
04-02-2015, 09:14 AM
"Stranded In The Jungle" (https://youtu.be/Sv9QU9QUd5A). He makes it back to his baby.

Or how about "Along Came Jones" (https://youtu.be/MrGaoSB0Eus)? Jones always saves the day. Slow-walkin' Jones, slow-talkin' Jones....

blondebear
04-02-2015, 09:19 AM
A Quick One While He's Away ends with the girl guide being forgiven for taking a nap with Ivor the engine driver...that's a happy ending of sorts, I suppose.

Just Asking Questions
04-02-2015, 09:25 AM
"She's Leaving Home", the Beatles. Happy for her, anyway.

Well, not ultimately. She ends up with a boring, meaningless life after her man from the motor trade didn't work out (Another Day - Wings) and dies alone and unremembered (Eleanor Rigby).

I've always viewed those as about the same person at different points in her life.

Ah, look at all the lonely people....

Just Asking Questions
04-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Oh, and Harry Chapin's Sequel seems to have at least the possibility of happy ending. Maybe Harry and Sue can make it work this time.

I guess only time will tell.

Rick
04-02-2015, 09:36 AM
In Kenny Rogers' The Gambler has a happy ending:
And faded off to sleep
And somewhere in the darkness
The gambler he broke even
And in his final words
I found an ace that I could keep
For certain values of happy.

Blank Slate
04-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Jungleland (Bruce Springsteen) - Wayward girl falls through the cracks, dies anonymously in a seedy flophouse room.

How do you figure that? Not that it's a happy song, except for he part where people explode into rock n' roll bands.

Just Asking Questions
04-02-2015, 10:09 AM
How do you figure that? Not that it's a happy song, except for he part where people explode into rock n' roll bands.

Yeah, I reread the lyrics, and the narrative seems to switch between being about gangs, then street racers, then teenage love, then the music business, then the club scene, then murder (or is it suicide?).

I guess it's just poetry, weaving a tapestry to life in the big city - it all exists together.

Or drugs. It's always about the drugs.

RTFirefly
04-02-2015, 10:15 AM
In Kenny Rogers' The Gambler has a happy ending:
And faded off to sleep
And somewhere in the darkness
The gambler he broke even
And in his final words
I found an ace that I could keep
For certain values of happy.
Hell, by that standard, Dylan's "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts" has a happy ending. Rosemary "was lookin’ to do just one good deed before she died,' and in putting the penknife into Big Jim's back, she apparently felt she had accomplished that: "Rosemary on the gallows, she didn’t even blink."

I've always been of two minds about the verse that's in the official lyrics (http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/lily-rosemary-and-jack-hearts), but not on the Blood on the Tracks recorded version, but if we include that verse, Big Jim was surely, for Lily, "the man she couldn’t stand who hounded her so much," so she's free of him at last.

And is it a happy ending for the Jack of Hearts? Hell if we know. We don't even know whether he got killed by Big Jim and/or his bodyguards, or whether he got off with his co-conspirators waiting by the riverbed, or what.

The wind of my soul
04-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Good Directions (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXXfRFPCX8I) by Billy Currington. The girl came back to him!

Ethilrist
04-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Harry Chapin's A Better Place To Be

And the little man
Looked at the empty glass in his hand
And he smiled a crooked grin
He said, "I guess I'm out of gin
And I know we both have been so lonely
And if you want me to come with you that's all right with me
'Cause I know I'm goin' nowhere and anywhere's a better place to be'"

kunilou
04-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Tom T. Hall Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon Wine

As I left for my room I saw him pickin' up my change.
That night I dreamed in peaceful sleep of shady summertime,
Of old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

oft wears hats
04-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Boston's Rock and Roll Band just told a vague story of them making it big and people enjoying their music, didn't it?

AncientHumanoid
04-02-2015, 11:01 AM
Tie a Yellow Ribbon, Two Doors Down, Grady County Auction, Wild Wood Weed...

MrSquishy
04-02-2015, 11:15 AM
The Mary Ellen Carter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhop5VuLDIQ) - the song stops just short of the point where the laughing, drunken rats get their comeuppance.Damn it, you beat me to it. This is the correct answer. Although you're right, we don't actually hear the end of the story, but I've always assumed everything turns out OK because of the line "like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again".

Finagle
04-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Blitzen Trapper's Furr, I guess you could call a story song and that seems to have a happy ending ... boy meets wolves, wolf meets girl, everyone lives happily ever after.

From the folk domain:

Dave Carter's "Little Liza Jane" is a tall tale that ends well. Trucker drives off the side of the road on a snowy night, plunges for hundreds of feet and lands "just right".

Gordon Bok's "Peter Kagen and the Wind" has a happy ending, thanks to the seal/wife.

Tam Lin (traditional) ends with the girl winning her lover back from the Queen of fairies (who isn't too damned pleased about that).

Procrustus
04-02-2015, 11:19 AM

And the little man

Harry Chapin's I Wanna Learn a Love Song:

Guess, you know what happened
My God, I never been so clean
Yeah, I feel like I'm workin' in a Hollywood movie
Or livin' out a good bad dream

And all them pin-up girls in that tinsel world
Never touched me, like she can
It took another man's wife in the real world life
To make this boy, a man

Just Asking Questions
04-02-2015, 11:29 AM
To make this boy, a man

The OP didn't mean THAT KIND of "happy ending"!

Chapin wrote a lot of possibly-happy ending songs, didn't he? More than I expected, considering Taxi and W*O*L*D and Cats In The Cradle are pretty depressing.

control-z
04-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Another Johnny Cash (although he didn't write it) story song with a happy ending is Ballad of a Teenage Queen. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hWW8Lr-Ajg)

Small town girl loves the boy next door who works at the candy store, a movie scout spots her, she goes to Hollywood and gets famous, but she gives it up and comes back to the small town boy.

johnspartan
04-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Then He Kissed Me. Meet, date, get married, happily ever after.

Fancy, by Bobbie Gentry (and later by Reba McEntire)... starts with a girl being so poor that she has to be sold into prostitution as a teen just to feed the family, ends up classy, very well-off, etc.

The Other Waldo Pepper
04-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Another Johnny Cash (although he didn't write it) story song with a happy ending is Ballad of a Teenage Queen. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hWW8Lr-Ajg)

Small town girl loves the boy next door who works at the candy store, a movie scout spots her, she goes to Hollywood and gets famous, but she gives it up and comes back to the small town boy.

I hate follow mention of Johnny Cash with Sk8r Boi, but it maybe counts.

whitetho
04-02-2015, 12:15 PM
In 1958, Jody Reynolds saved his girlfriend from the clutches of "Endless Sleep".

In 1964, Chuck Berry passed through Raleigh, North Carolina and continued until he arrived in the "Promised Land" (aka California). In contrast, 49 years later, Darius Rucker was wending his way back to Raleigh in "Wagon Wheel".

The Other Waldo Pepper
04-02-2015, 12:20 PM
I put down my robe, picked up my diploma
Took hold of my sweetheart and away we did drive
Straight for the hills, the black hills of Dakota
Sure was glad to get out of there alive

So there were two good ol' boys of the never meanin' no harm variety who, sure, have been in trouble with the law; and, granted, might come to a bad end someday; but last I heard, they were still makin' their way the only way they know how...

SirRay
04-02-2015, 12:23 PM
C.W. McCall's Convoy
--They finally get themselves a 'mighty' convoy
--They beat the cops along the way and successfully make it to Jersey (no '70s Jersey jokes, please) in a rather upbeat and cheerful mood.
--Then, that goal (such as it is) accomplished, the truckers head back to their real destinations, with pretty much a "Well, keep in touch" farewell.

Sadly, the fate of Pig Pen and whether he got his trailer full of hogs to Omaha remains unresolved, though...

The Other Waldo Pepper
04-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Boston's Rock and Roll Band just told a vague story of them making it big and people enjoying their music, didn't it?

Not to mention Sugarloaf, with DON'T CALL US - WE'LL CALL YOU: "Listen kid, you paid for the call; you ain't bad, but we've heard it all before -- and it sounds like John, Paul, and George ... we cut a hit and we toured a bit with a song he said he couldn't use, and now he calls and begs and crawls; it's telephone deja vu."

Ethilrist
04-02-2015, 12:33 PM
C.W. McCall's Convoy
--They finally get themselves a 'mighty' convoy
--They beat the cops along the way and successfully make it to Jersey (no '70s Jersey jokes, please) in a rather upbeat and cheerful mood.
--Then, that goal (such as it is) accomplished, the truckers head back to their real destinations, with pretty much a "Well, keep in touch" farewell.

Sadly, the fate of Pig Pen and whether he got his trailer full of hogs to Omaha remains unresolved, though...

I always wanted to hear more about the load of Jesus freaks in the VW microbus, myself.

astorian
04-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Roy Orbison's "Running Scared."

RTFirefly
04-02-2015, 01:10 PM
So there were two good ol' boys of the never meanin' no harm variety who, sure, have been in trouble with the law; and, granted, might come to a bad end someday; but last I heard, they were still makin' their way the only way they know how...???

control-z
04-02-2015, 03:37 PM
So there were two good ol' boys of the never meanin' no harm variety who, sure, have been in trouble with the law; and, granted, might come to a bad end someday; but last I heard, they were still makin' their way the only way they know how...

???

Waylon Jennings - Just Two Good Ol' Boys (Dukes of Hazzard Theme) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIVMSnPVXfI)

Just Asking Questions
04-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Not to mention Sugarloaf, with DON'T CALL US - WE'LL CALL YOU: "Listen kid, you paid for the call; you ain't bad, but we've heard it all before -- and it sounds like John, Paul, and George ... we cut a hit and we toured a bit with a song he said he couldn't use, and now he calls and begs and crawls; it's telephone deja vu."

Forty years! Forty years, and all this time I thought the sound was like "junk-haulin' George." John Paul and George? Srsly? What about Ringo?

I'm going to keep using my version.

Master Wang-Ka
04-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Dethklok is usually pretty good, but they really shouldn't let William Murderface write any songs.

burpo the wonder mutt
04-02-2015, 04:10 PM
"Puff, the Magic Dragon," is not a happy ending for Puff, but it is for Jackie Paper. Imagine JP in his fifties still flitting around Honalee on adventures.

Don Draper
04-02-2015, 04:22 PM

My interpretation of the song tends to fit with the explanation posted in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungleland#Lyrics):

"The song in its lyrics mirrors the pattern of the entire Born to Run album, beginning with a sense of desperate hope that slides slowly into despair and defeat. The song opens with the "Rat" "driving his sleek machine/over the Jersey state line" and meeting up with the "Barefoot Girl," with whom he "takes a stab at romance and disappears down Flamingo Lane." The song then begins to portray some of the scenes of the city and gang life in which the "Rat" is involved, with occasional references to the gang's conflict with the police. The last two stanzas, coming after Clemons' extended solo, describe the final fall of the "Rat" and the death of both his dreams, which "gun him down" in the "tunnels uptown," and the love between him and the "Barefoot Girl." The song ends with a description of the apathy towards the semi-tragic fall of the "Rat" and the lack of impact his death had- "No one watches as the ambulance pulls away/Or as the girl shuts out the bedroom light," "Man the poets down here don't write nothin' at all/They just stand back and let it all be."

Steve Miller's "Take The Money And Run" ends happily as long as you accept that you're expected to root for the people who killed a homeowner during a botched burglary and got away with it.

This is a song I thought of when I made the OP, but am ambivalent about. I'm sure at the time of its release, in the still-counterculture early 70s, the tale of two lawless juvenile delinquents getting away with their crime was meant to be a 'happy ending.' But nowadays, as you alluded, they come off sounding like a pair of sociopaths.

Also, maybe I'm reading too much into the song but the lines about how "Bobby Sue (whoa whoa) she slipped away / Billy Joe caught up to her the very next day" but I always interpreted them as Bobby Sue trying to ditch Billie Joe. Perhaps when the cops were closing in or some such situation, she just grabbed the loot and said "Later, sucker!" (There is no honor among thieves after all.) Of course, Billy Joe caught up to her the very next day and they headed down South (presumably together), so they must've worked it all out. Still, I picture them each keeping one eye apiece firmly trained on the other at all times. That and the fact they are on the run forever after that....it doesn't sound too happy an ending.

Dendarii Dame
04-02-2015, 04:36 PM
"How It Is Applied" by Echo's Children. (Retelling of a Miles Vorkosigan story by Lois McMaster Bujold)

"Dawson's Christian" by, I think, Duane Elms (Well, Dawson and his crew died, but that was at the beginning of the song. They came back as ghosts and saved the day.)

Cartoonacy
04-02-2015, 04:44 PM
First hing that I thought of is Alabama's Roll On, Eighteen Wheeler (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYtJIFVxQXY).

bup
04-02-2015, 04:51 PM
"Puff, the Magic Dragon," is not a happy ending for Puff, but it is for Jackie Paper. Imagine JP in his fifties still flitting around Honalee on adventures.And Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is happy for the people who had insurance on the boat.

And at the end of The Lights Went Out in Georgia, the judge got home to eat dinner like he wanted, without ever being tormented by knowing he convicted an innocent party.

chaika
04-02-2015, 04:54 PM
"Valentine's Day is Over" by Billy Bragg. A woman summons the courage to get rid of her abusive boyfriend.

Slow Moving Vehicle
04-02-2015, 05:06 PM
And speaking of Johnny Cash (although he didn't actually write A Boy Named Sue), I believe the auto factory worker in One Piece At A Time who smuggled out Cadillac parts in his lunch box did eventually manage to build himself a car.

The Psychobilly Cadillac, which a fan in Tennessee actually built for Cash.

And Shel Silverstein wrote "A Boy Called Sue".

Oh, and Harry Chapin's Sequel seems to have at least the possibility of happy ending. Maybe Harry and Sue can make it work this time.

I guess only time will tell.

And the little man

I'd say that Harry Chapin wrote the most honest happy ending songs. The protagonists of "Sequel" don't go back to being the young dreamers they were when they were dating; they've been scarred by their experiences, they're battered by life, but they've gotten some wisdom and some strength. Likewise the little man of "A Better Place To Be" still has his empty job and lonely boardinghouse room, but he's going to at least offer the barmaid, the big ol' friendly girl, the same comfort that the lovely lady offered him. Chapin's heroes get imperfectly happy endings.

hogarth
04-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Finnegan's Wake -- Tim Finnegan is alive!

The Jolly Tinker -- The tinker got 20 pounds for blocking a rusty hole. Twice!

The Old Woman from Wexford -- The old woman's murder plot backfires on her.

Julius Henry
04-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Judy's Turn to Cry has a happy ending for the singer and Johnny, but not so much for Judy. The Battle of New Orleans has a happy ending for Andrew Jackson, again, not so much for the British. The same holds for Timothy – a happy ending for all but one.

TonySinclair
04-02-2015, 08:47 PM
The Ballad of the Asian Massage Parlor.

cjepson
04-02-2015, 10:48 PM
"Jackaroe" -- she heals his wounds and they get married.
"Silhouettes", if you count that as a story song.
Shel Silverstein's "The Winner."
Charlie Daniels' "Ballad of the Uneasy Rider".

actualliberalnotoneofthose
04-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Killer Mike- JoJo's Chillin'

Ranger Jeff
04-03-2015, 01:01 AM
Talkin' Vietnam Potluck Blues has a happy ending.

astorian
04-03-2015, 06:44 AM
"Every Picture Tells a Story" by Rod Stewart ends with the narrator finding true love with a Chinese girl.

astorian
04-03-2015, 06:47 AM
Unlike many country music story songs Garth Brooks' "Unanswered Prayers" has a happy ending. The middle-aged narrator meets the girl who'd broken his heart years earlier. He realizes at last that they were wrong for each other in the first place, and is glad he married someone else.

astorian
04-03-2015, 06:51 AM
In a strange sense, Michael McDonald's "What a Fool Believes" has a happy ending, but only because the song is about a fool who's too blind to see that his beloved has just given him the brushoff!

The fool is happy, and think he still has a shot with her!

Tom Tildrum
04-03-2015, 09:30 AM
"Every Picture Tells a Story" by Rod Stewart ends with the narrator finding true love with a Chinese girl.

And in "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy," the narrator and the woman he brought home get it on and then watch a movie. It does turn out that he is out of coffee, though, so perhaps that ending should be considered "mixed."

OneCentStamp
04-03-2015, 09:49 AM
And in "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy," the narrator and the woman he brought home get it on and then watch a movie. It does turn out that he is out of coffee, though, so perhaps that ending should be considered "mixed."

Out of milk AND coffee, you mean. Unmitigated disaster. It's like something off of Springsteen's Nebraska album. Makes "When The Levee Breaks" sound like "Got My Mind Set On You." :(

JSexton
04-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Decemberists - The Mariner's Revenge. While not altogether happy tale, the protagonist gets his revenge on the debt ridden drunken mess that he's been searching for all his life. At least, before he gets digested by a whale.

Buck Godot
04-03-2015, 11:54 AM
We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.
But there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
We fired once more and they began to runnin'
down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Rick
04-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Hell, by that standard, Dylan's "Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts" has a happy ending. Rosemary "was lookin’ to do just one good deed before she died,' and in putting the penknife into Big Jim's back, she apparently felt she had accomplished that: "Rosemary on the gallows, she didn’t even blink."

I've always been of two minds about the verse that's in the official lyrics (http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/lily-rosemary-and-jack-hearts), but not on the Blood on the Tracks recorded version, but if we include that verse, Big Jim was surely, for Lily, "the man she couldn’t stand who hounded her so much," so she's free of him at last.

And is it a happy ending for the Jack of Hearts? Hell if we know. We don't even know whether he got killed by Big Jim and/or his bodyguards, or whether he got off with his co-conspirators waiting by the riverbed, or what.

Remember the gambler said:
"And the best that you can hope for
Is to die in your sleep"

The gambler got the best ending he could hope for and the singer got an ace that he could keep.
Not perfect, but not the worst either.

psychobunny
04-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Harper Valley PTA

What do I win?

cmkeller
04-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Jim Croce's "You Don't Mess Around with Jim." The neighborhood is freed from the bully's tyranny.

OneCentStamp
04-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Jim Croce's "You Don't Mess Around with Jim." The neighborhood is freed from the bully's tyranny.

Wow, I just realized how similar that song is, in lyrical theme, (to say nothing of the music) to Bad Bad Leroy Brown.

Jeff Lichtman
04-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Wow, I just realized how similar that song is, in lyrical theme, (to say nothing of the music) to Bad Bad Leroy Brown.

If Jim Croce had lived longer, how many more songs would he have written about tough guys getting their asses kicked?

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.