PDA

View Full Version : Bands that are the same as other bands, except for one person

Shoeless
04-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Tom Tom Club was basically Talking Heads without David Byrne.

Hindu Love Gods was R.E.M. with Warren Zevon instead of Michael Stipe.

Any other bands that are essentially the same as another band except for adding/removing/replacing one person?

Finagle
04-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Any of the variations on Crosby Stills Nash (and Young).

WordMan
04-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Audioslave was Rage with a vocalist swap

New Order was Joy Division less Ian Curtis

Van Hagar was Van Halen with both Van Halens, but less one Roth...

GreenElf
04-03-2015, 06:02 PM
nm

kunilou
04-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Badfinger was the Beatles minus John Lennon.

Little Nemo
04-03-2015, 08:08 PM
When Robert Gotobed left the band Wire, the three remaining members of the band dropped a letter from the band's name and called themselves Wir.

Ellis Aponte Jr.
04-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Bow Wow Wow was Adam and the Ants with a 14-year old girl lead singer instead of Adam Ant. (Although Adam quickly assembled new Ants).

Elemenopy
04-03-2015, 08:57 PM
mumble...Deep Purple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Purple#Band_split_and_solo_projects_.281976.E2.80.9384.29)...mumble...

pulykamell
04-03-2015, 08:59 PM
I don't know if this quite counts, but Wild Flag[b] is 2/3 of [b]Sleater-Kinney, but other than swapping Corin Tucker for Mary Timony, they also added Rebecca Cole on keyboards. So, almost a swap, but also an addition.

GESancMan
04-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Not quite, but close:

Liquid Tension Experiment was an instrumental band consisting of John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater, Jordan Rudess, and Tony Levin. After two albums, Rudess joined DT, and the decision was made to end LTE. If LTE had gone on, it would have been DT with a different bassist and no singer.

Johnny Q
04-04-2015, 01:24 AM
Love and Rockets were Bauhaus without Peter Murphy.

MrDibble
04-04-2015, 02:41 AM
New Order was Joy Division less Ian Curtis

Gillian Gilbert wasn't in Joy Division. Still counts for this thread, though, I think.

MrDibble
04-04-2015, 02:48 AM
The Mission was initially The Sisters Of Mercy with a drummer instead of Andrew Eldritch.

Mince
04-04-2015, 03:06 AM
Led Zeppelin was basically Led Zeppelin without John Bonham.

buddha_david
04-04-2015, 03:37 AM
The first incarnation of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow was the same as Ronnie James Dio's band Elf, with Blackmore replacing the guitarist.

Harvey The Heavy
04-04-2015, 04:05 AM
I can do one better: Heaven and Hell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_%26_Hell_(band)) was Black Sabbath (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_Rules_(album)) except for no one.

Kamino Neko
04-04-2015, 04:15 AM
Velvet Revolver was Guns n Roses with Axl swapped out for two other guys whose identities I'm blanking on.

JKellyMap
04-04-2015, 05:43 AM
Technically these fit the OP, I guess:

The Band was Bob Dylan's band (on tour), without Bob Dylan
The Eagles were Linda Ronstadt's band (on tour), without Linda Ronstadt

WordMan
04-04-2015, 05:54 AM
Led Zeppelin was basically Led Zeppelin without John Bonham.

Well, legally/technically, Led Zeppelin were The Yardbirds - Jimmy Page retained legal rights to the name when the band disbanded. When he replaced members and got JPJones, Plant and Bonzo, they first toured as The New Yardbirds before taking the name that Keith Moon mentioned when he stated how he thought Page's music ideas would go over...

Frank
04-04-2015, 06:00 AM
This is not (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badfinger) accurate.

WordMan
04-04-2015, 06:15 AM

Yeah, I noted that, but wasn't going to pursue. There are a few posts that aren't quite right (heck look at mine regarding New Order)...

actualliberalnotoneofthose
04-04-2015, 10:23 AM
I don't think this one has been mentioned, perhaps due the general good taste of this place: Alter Bridge is Creed with a different singer. And of course, that guy is now Slash's singer.

ZipperJJ
04-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Kevin O'donnell's Quality Six is the exact same lineup as Andrew Bird's Ball of Fire. Except for writing credits I think.

Zeke N. Destroi
04-04-2015, 11:24 AM
geto boys was nwa without eazy e or dr dre.

Please cite. Any info I can find suggests no connection (save genre) whatsoever.

Ají de Gallina
04-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Emerson, Lake & Powell and Emerson, Lake & Palmer replacing Palmer for Powell :)

ftg
04-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Tom Tom Club was basically Talking Heads without David Byrne.

The Heads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Talking,_Just_Head) were a closer match to Talking Heads.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
04-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Emerson, Lake & Powell and Emerson, Lake & Palmer replacing Palmer for Powell :)

The short-lived ELPowell was followed by the even shorter-lived 3, which was Emerson, Lake & Palmer with Robert Berry replacing Greg Lake.

On a similar tip: Refugee was the Nice with Patrick Moraz replacing Keith Emerson.

RealityChuck
04-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Mallard was Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band without Captain Beefheart.

kunilou
04-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I noted that, but wasn't going to pursue. There are a few posts that aren't quite right (heck look at mine regarding New Order)...

Perhaps I misunderstood the OP. I thought we were looking for the indescribable quality that one person brought to an act that all the soundalike or spinoff groups simply couldn't recapture.

Shoeless
04-04-2015, 06:35 PM
The Heads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Talking,_Just_Head) were a closer match to Talking Heads.
I stand corrected! I could have sworn Jerry Harrison was in Tom Tom Club.

Shoeless
04-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood the OP. I thought we were looking for the indescribable quality that one person brought to an act that all the soundalike or spinoff groups simply couldn't recapture.
Nope, I was just looking for bands that had an identical lineup to another band except for one band member.

However, what I wasn't very clear about was that I was looking for bands with different names. While technically correct, CSN/CSNY and ELP/ELP aren't exactly the kinds of examples I was looking for.

RealityChuck
04-04-2015, 06:52 PM
The Other Ones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Other_Ones) is basically the Grateful Dead without Jerry Garcia. They later changed their name to "The Dead."

Ají de Gallina
04-04-2015, 07:19 PM
The Beatles are a couple of Quarrymen lineups without Ken Brown / Stuart Sutcliffe plus Ringo

ABWH is Yes minus Chris Squire + Tony Levin

Snowboarder Bo
04-04-2015, 08:06 PM

:confused:

Peremensoe
04-04-2015, 08:57 PM
The Other Ones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Other_Ones) is basically the Grateful Dead without Jerry Garcia. They later changed their name to "The Dead."

No post-Garcia lineup has missed 'replacing' Garcia with fewer than two other people.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
04-04-2015, 09:52 PM
No post-Garcia lineup has missed 'replacing' Garcia with fewer than two other people.

One too many negatives in that sentence, methinks.

Rhythmdvl
04-05-2015, 02:22 PM
No one 'replaced' Jerry. :D

ElvisL1ves
04-05-2015, 02:28 PM
The Mitchell Trio was the Chad Mitchell Trio with John Denver instead of Chad Mitchell.

mbh
04-05-2015, 03:44 PM
It's a bit complicated, but for practical purposes, the Foo Fighters are Nirvana without Kurt Cobain.

ElvisL1ves
04-05-2015, 05:12 PM
The Other Ones was the Grateful Dead after Jerry Garcia's death.

Ellis Aponte Jr.
04-05-2015, 05:17 PM
It's a bit complicated, but for practical purposes, the Foo Fighters are Nirvana without Kurt Cobain.

How do you figure that, given that Krist Novoselic has never been a member of Foo Fighters? (He played on one song of theirs as a guest musician).

Penfeather
04-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Bruce Baker Moore was Cream with Gary Moore standing in for Eric Clapton. Not half bad, though. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OcOTzVARDA)

thelurkinghorror
04-05-2015, 05:29 PM
geto boys was nwa without eazy e or dr dre.
Ok :confused:
Love and Rockets were Bauhaus without Peter Murphy.
And Tones on Tail, minus Murphy and David J, plus a roadie.
Gillian Gilbert wasn't in Joy Division. Still counts for this thread, though, I think.
She left for 10 years, but now Hook is gone.

control-z
04-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Velvet Revolver was Guns n Roses with Axl swapped out for two other guys whose identities I'm blanking on.

Scott Weiland (also known for Stone Temple Pilots) is/was the singer for Velvet Revolver. But not sure he is in the band any more.

Also in Velvet Revolver:

Slash
Dave Kushner
Duff McKagan
Matt Sorum

Slash, Duff, and Matt were from GnR. Former GnR guitarist Izzy Stradlin is missing from Velvet Revolver though. So they are more like 3/5 of GnR. Even less if you're counting Dizzy Reed. GnR had a complicated history.

Ethilrist
04-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe was Yes without Chris Squire.

We are the Fallen is Evanescence with Carly Smithson instead of Amy Lee.

The Second Stone
04-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Mickey & The Hartbeats were The Grateful Dead without Bill Kruetzman, the better of their two drummers. And I want to amend that to make sure that everyone knows I think Mickey Hart is a wonderful drummer. It's just that Kruetzman has that extra special something.

Nema98
04-06-2015, 01:38 PM
I apologize but this is minus two members not one, but does fit OP case overall. Arcadia was a short lived side project which was Duran Duran minus two members.

Eutychus
04-06-2015, 01:41 PM
The Grandmothers were The Mothers of Invention without Frank Zappa.

Omar Little
04-06-2015, 02:32 PM
The Jacksons were the Jackson 5 without Michael.

Tom Tildrum
04-06-2015, 03:05 PM

Off-topic, but OMG that article may be the saddest band history ever.

Ellis Aponte Jr.
04-06-2015, 03:53 PM
The Jacksons were the Jackson 5 without Michael.

Where did you get this bizarre idea? Michael Jackson was certainly a member of The Jacksons, and in fact he sang lead on their biggest hits: "Enjoy Yourself," "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)," "Can You Feel It?" and "State of Shock."

You could make a case that The Jacksons were the Jackson 5 without Jermaine Jackson, although he eventually did join the group some years down the road.

BurnMeUp
04-06-2015, 05:11 PM
ALL was the band the Descendents became whenever Milo was busy in college or working as a biologist.

Nema98
04-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Off-topic, but OMG that article may be the saddest band history ever.

Yes a band with a very sad story.

JSexton
04-06-2015, 05:33 PM
2/3s of Blink-182 formed a side project without the bassist called Box Car Racer although the bassist played on a couple of the tracks anyway. Technically a different band, but only barely.

Battle Pope
04-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Not quite one member but, the (original) Wiggles were a fair chunk of an Aussie pub band called The Cockroaches.

Early in 1991 Anthony and Fatt founded a children's music group, The Wiggles. The Cockroaches alumni served as musical and performing support for the new group; John wrote much of their music, Paul became their manager, and Henry performed with them. The Wiggles used many of The Cockroaches' business practices and reworked some of their songs into the children's music genre.

Ethilrist
04-07-2015, 07:24 AM
Annie Lennox is The Eurythmics without David Stewart.

Mr. Me
04-07-2015, 11:18 PM
The Grandmothers were The Mothers of Invention without Frank Zappa.

I was going to say the same thing about Geronimo Black (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geronimo_Black).

Meurglys
04-08-2015, 08:11 AM
The first Long Hello album was recorded by the ex-members of Van Der Graaf Generator after they split in 1972* (plus Nic Potter, who had left earlier) without lead singer/songwriter Peter Hammill.
The line up was David Jackson, Hugh Banton, Guy Evans and Nic Potter although I don't think they ever did come up with a name for themselves.
The subsequent Long Hello albums were projects involving 2 or more of them...

* the same line-up reformed 3 years later

Rhythmdvl
04-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Mickey & The Hartbeats were The Grateful Dead without Bill Kruetzman, the better of their two drummers. And I want to amend that to make sure that everyone knows I think Mickey Hart is a wonderful drummer. It's just that Kruetzman has that extra special something.

The backing band for Bob Weir's 1972 solo album, Ace, fits the OP: Jerry, Phil, Keith, Donna, and Billy. It fits the OP because Mickey wasn't part of the band at the time but Pig was---one member missing.

OT: Did you catch Billy's little impromptu performance a couple days ago?

Yesterday Grateful Dead drummer Bill Kreutzmann came across a busker in San Francisco after he finished brunch. Kreutzmann took the opportunity to join in and jam with the busker outside of the Ferry Building. Billy K. has shared video of the impromptu performance and it's crazy to see that no one really noticed the legend in action. Link with video (http://www.jambase.com/Articles/124583/Video-Bill-Kreutzmann-Impromptu-Ferry-Building-Jam)

astorian
04-08-2015, 03:03 PM
I can think of several groups that were MOSTLY The same as previous groups (Arcadia was almost Duran Duran, Bell Biv Devoe was almost the New Edition), but if it has to be all but one member...

After the 1971 Islands tour, everyone in King Crimson quit, except guitarist Robert Fripp, who had alienated everyone (a recurring theme with KC). Singer/bassist Boz Burrell, sax player Mel Collins and drummer Ian Wallace all joined British blues guitarist Alexis Korner in a new band called Snape.

astorian
04-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Where did you get this bizarre idea? Michael Jackson was certainly a member of The Jacksons, and in fact he sang lead on their biggest hits: "Enjoy Yourself," "Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)," "Can You Feel It?" and "State of Shock."

You could make a case that The Jacksons were the Jackson 5 without Jermaine Jackson, although he eventually did join the group some years down the road.

They started calling themselves "The Jacksons" unofficially in the mid-Seventies when their youngest brother Randy started singing with them. They didn't make it official until they left the Motown label (apparently Berry Gordy owned rights to the name "Jackson 5.")..

astorian
04-08-2015, 03:10 PM
A Box of Frogs was the Yardbirds without their original singer, the late Keith Relf.

astorian
04-08-2015, 03:16 PM
The trio Phantom, Slick and Rocker was 66.6% the same as the Stray Cats. Guitarist/vocalist Earl Slick essentially replaced Brian Setzer.

Casey1505
04-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Pink Floyd was Pink Floyd without Roger Waters. Before that, they were Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett.

Channing Idaho Banks
04-08-2015, 03:31 PM
VSOP was like a Miles Davis tribute featuring other trumpeters (Freddie Hubbard, Wynton Marsalis).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quintet_(V.S.O.P._album)

Casey1505
04-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Bad English was basically Journey without Steve Perry, while at the same time being essentially The Babys without Mike Corby.

Coriolanus
04-08-2015, 03:50 PM
I've seen The Band more than a few times. Rick Danko, Levon Helms, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel (only once) - they did quite well sans Robbie Robertson. I've seen _The Last Waltz_ - it's great stuff. I've seen Robbie Robertson solo; he wasn't good.

Coriolanus
04-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Genesis!

(they'd be the poster boys of this thread!)

They lost Peter Gabriel (who is fuckin' awesome live and studio), Steve Hackett (awesomly terrific guitarist) and they were, at least till 1985 or so, one of the greatest Prog Rock Bands.

GreenElf
04-09-2015, 12:42 AM
Annie Lennox is The Eurythmics without David Stewart.

Good call.

and Paul Simon is Simon & Garfunkel without Art Garfunkel.

GreenElf
04-09-2015, 12:43 AM
Pink Floyd was Pink Floyd without Roger Waters. Before that, they were Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett.

and before that, Pink Floyd was Pink Floyd.

Rhythmdvl
04-09-2015, 06:46 AM
and before that, Pink Floyd was Pink Floyd.

BTW, which one's Pink?

Ludovic
04-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Deathray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathray) at one time was most members of Cake except the lead singer. They sound sort of like Cake except with 10% more rock and 100% less jawbone.

wguy123
04-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Deathray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathray) at one time was most members of Cake except the lead singer. They sound sort of like Cake except with 10% more rock and 100% less jawbone.

I love the vibraslap implemented by McCrea!

TCMF-2L
04-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Beady Eye were Oasis without guitarist, song writer and occasional singer Noel Gallagher.

TCMF-2L

TCMF-2L
04-09-2015, 10:17 AM
By the end of the Sex Pistols brief moment of fame they only had Cook and Jones still in them. Sid was dead and Johnny Rotten had left.

Cook and Jones then picked up session musician Andy Allen (who had also been a session musician for the collapsing Sex Pistols) and formed The Professionals.

So actually, depending where you draw the line, The Professionals are either different or identical to the Sex Pistols.

TCMF-2L

Sparky812
04-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Last in Line (https://www.facebook.com/lastinlinerocks) - Dio without Ronnie.

Slaughter - Vinnie Vincent Invasion without Vinnie Vincent

Shaw-Blades - Damn Yankees without Ted Nugent

Tramp's White Lion was White Lion without Vito Bratta

TCMF-2L
04-09-2015, 10:29 AM
1960's band Manfred Mann reformed in the 1990s as The Manfreds without founder member Manfred Mann. Manfred himself formed the Earth Band in the 1970s later retitled Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

TCMF-2L

TCMF-2L
04-09-2015, 10:33 AM
The Glitter Band are the backing band of (now) notorious pedophile Gary Glitter who enjoyed a degree of success on their own.

TCMF-2L

TCMF-2L
04-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Tears for Fears (who wrote and had a hit with the original version of Mad World) were basically a duo of Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith. Smith split for most of the 1990s while Tears for Fears continued with just Orzabal. And then - everyone likes a happy ending - Smith rejoined in 2000.

TCMF-2L

TCMF-2L
04-09-2015, 10:46 AM
The original version of The Human League was a trio of Martyn Ware and Ian Craig Marsh plus vocalist Phil Oakey - he was their second choice after potential vocalist Glenn Gregory turned them down.

Phil Oakey would eventually take over the band and after adding lots of new members had their breakthrough hit Don't You Want Me?

Meanwhile Ware and Marsh finally hooked up with Gregory and formed Heaven 17 whose breakthrough hit was Temptation.

TCMF-2L

TCMF-2L
04-09-2015, 10:54 AM
When singer Carl McCoy left Fields of the Nephilim the remaining members recruited Andy Delaney and continued as the Rubicon.

TCMF-2L

TCMF-2L
04-09-2015, 10:58 AM
George Michael is basically Wham! without Andrew Ridgeley. Unencumbered by George, Andrew had a solo career and released a couple of singles and a poorly reviewed album. Hopefully history will appreciate his true worth.

TCMF-2L

D18
04-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Any given line-up of the Doobie Brothers is The Doobie Brothers of the previous line-up plus or minus one guy, eventually reaching the point where the Doobie Brothers is Patrick Simmons minus everyone else.

And before you point it out, the Doobie Brothers post-One Step Closer aren't the Doobie Brothers. They're a cover band.

astorian
04-09-2015, 11:22 AM
We're counting duos??

Okay, Kenny Loggins is Loggins & Messina without Jim Messina.

buddha_david
04-09-2015, 06:19 PM
When singer King Diamond left Mercyful Fate to form his own solo band (eponymously named King Diamond) his original lineup consisted of three ex-Fate members: guitarist Michael Denner, bassist Timi Hansen, and himself. Denner was eventually replaced by Mike Wead, who joined the reunited Mercyful Fate in 1997. Drummer Snowy Shaw also played in both bands. So, over the course of time, both bands shared enough members to form a complete lineup, though not all of them were together at the same time.

ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness
04-11-2015, 05:11 AM
Talk Show was Stone Temple Pilots with singer Dave Coutts in place of Scott Weiland.

The soundtrack to Ray Davies' film Return to Waterloo was released in the US as a Ray Davies solo album. The musicians consisted of the then-current Kinks lineup minus brother Dave Davies.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.