PDA

View Full Version : Eating Raoul (1982 cult film)

nearwildheaven
09-20-2017, 11:09 PM
Has anyone here seen this? TCM aired it a while back, and I watched it on my Tivo this evening.

:p

That was ONE.WEIRD.FLICK. I'm surprised John Waters wasn't somehow involved in this freak-fest.

:D

kenobi 65
09-20-2017, 11:15 PM
I remember watching it on cable not too long after it came out. Weird, but funny. Haven't seen it in over 30 years.

E-DUB
09-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Robert Beltran in the title role, and some hilarious cameos. Haven't seen it years, either. Not to everyone's taste.

Beckdawrek
09-20-2017, 11:29 PM
I saw it on TCM..it was kinda strange..Robt.Beltram was so young!

ZipperJJ
09-21-2017, 12:28 AM
I watched it a million years ago when I was too young to really get it. I don't even really remember the film now to be honest. I just remember that I rented it with a friend, on VHS. I even forget which friend!

Snowboarder Bo
09-21-2017, 01:36 AM
I still have my VHS copy as well as a DVD. Awesome movie. Mmmmmmmmmmm Mary Woronov....

Srsly, this was a weird and wonderful movie when it came out and it still is. Paul Bartel was a genius.

kenobi 65
09-21-2017, 02:06 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmm Mary Woronov....

Great minds think alike. :)

Spoons
09-21-2017, 03:36 AM
I still have my VHS copy as well as a DVD. Awesome movie. Mmmmmmmmmmm Mary Woronov....

Srsly, this was a weird and wonderful movie when it came out and it still is. Paul Bartel was a genius.Paul Bartel was always fine, and Mary Woronov was always a pleasure to watch in a movie. But Eating Raoul was not so much wonderful as it was weird, IMHO.

It came highly recommended, so I saw it. I didn't like it. I gave it a second chance, and still didn't like it. It was just too weird for me.

hogarth
09-21-2017, 05:54 AM
I thought it was mildly amusing and I liked the quirkiness. I don't think I'd seek it out, but I'd be willing to watch it again.

RealityChuck
09-21-2017, 08:32 AM
If you think that's quirky, take a look at Bartel's Scenes from the Class Conflict in Beverly Hills. Just don't make the mistake of watching it with your parents...

Snowboarder Bo
09-21-2017, 09:26 AM
If you think that's quirky, take a look at Bartel's Scenes from the Class Conflict in Beverly Hills. Just don't make the mistake of watching it with your parents...

Class Struggle not class conflict

I think that's a better movie, too.

I had a friend who watched it thinking it was Down and Out in Beverly Hills. That was pretty funny to watch unfold in front of me.

Just Asking Questions
09-21-2017, 09:44 AM
Liked it when it was new, haven't seen it in decades.

For years I thought it was Raul Julia in the titular role. Memory's a funny thing.

Paul Bartel made some interesting films.

Ukulele Ike
09-21-2017, 09:45 AM
I saw Eating Raoul in the theater when it came out. All the reviews warned that it would be a weird experience, because Bartel and Woronov were very weird people (the two of them were also excellent in the 1978 Ramones vehicle Rock and Roll High School.)

The best scene was when Buck Henry and all the other "swingers" were in the hot tub, yelling for Woronov to join them, and Bartel yelled something like "Take THIS, swingers!" And threw the bug zapper in, which electrocuted them all instantly.

Sunny Daze
09-21-2017, 10:22 AM
I think I saw it at least twice with a friend who was determined to convert me to the wonder of fine film making. I was not won over. Not to my taste. ;)

kenobi 65
09-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Not to my taste. ;)

Very nice. :D

Biggirl
09-21-2017, 01:26 PM
I was going to say I did watch it long ago and loved it. But then people started saying it was funny. Nope, not the movie I saw. I was confusing it with The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.

Johnny L.A.
09-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Seen it? I went to a screening of it when it came out!

And I have the DVD.

I think of it every time I use a cast iron frying pan.

RTFirefly
09-21-2017, 02:07 PM
I was going to say I did watch it long ago and loved it. But then people started saying it was funny. Nope, not the movie I saw. I was confusing it with The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.It's been an eon since I saw either one, but my recollection is that I found Eating Raoul funny in a weird sort of way, but I found The Cook etc. weird in a disgusting sort of way.

I would be interested in seeing if I still found Eating Raoul funny. I would not waste 2 hours of my life on a second viewing of The Cook etc.

Knowed Out
09-22-2017, 11:27 AM
I remember the scene where Bartel's character was picking up props from an X-rated store, and the manager kept trying to upsell him on the raunchier stuff. For some reason, it just resonated with me, probably because I went to one of those places once and bought a blow-up sheep as a gag gift, and I remember the creepy manager recommending something more durable.

Ukulele Ike
09-22-2017, 01:31 PM
"Gag gift." Sure.

Guest-starring: Id!
09-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Saw it when it first came out in the theatres and was in my top ten for quite some time.

I remember the scene where Bartel's character was picking up props from an X-rated store, and the manager kept trying to upsell him on the raunchier stuff.

That douchebag (https://youtu.be/jbY6QIJJWYg?t=3324) ruled, totally.

A spurned, trying-to-be-psychedelic-hip Ed Begley Jr: "Ok you're bumming me out...I'm trying to play ball with you...I'm trying to play the game...I'm trying your lingo, I'm trying your jargon, but you're making me uptight...You really thing I'm an uncool dude? An un-hip daddy? Just because I have a ronson lighter and a couple credit cards? You think I'm an uncool dude?"

Ah, domestic bliss (https://youtu.be/jbY6QIJJWYg?t=1204).

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.