PDA

View Full Version : If you could rename any band, what would be a better name?

Go_Arachnid_Laser
10-07-2017, 12:29 AM
For instance, Pearl Jam is a terrible name. They told a couple of unconvincing stories about the origin of the name (first something about Eddie Vedder's grandma making jam, another about being called "Pearl" at first and adding "Jam" as in a music jam)

But everybody knows it's a childish, jokey way of calling their band "semen".

Now, if you want a good band name for them, the band's second album is called "Vs." That would be an excellent name. They could be called Versus and their logo could be stylized as Vs. It's evocative and tells you that they do hard rock.

How about some other bands you like, or dislike, what would be a better name for them?

nearwildheaven
10-07-2017, 01:03 AM
In the mid 1990s, Hootie and the Blowfish toured with Toad The Wet Sprocket. Both bands have said that if they had known they would hit the big time, they would have chosen different names.

One of the Monty Python people first heard TTWS while in his car, and when the DJ announced the name of the band, he nearly drove off the road. :p

nearwildheaven
10-07-2017, 01:05 AM
And then again, there's always the "who cares what the band sounds like - did you see their name" thing, and the champions of that are probably Anal Cunt and My Penis Is Made Of Dogshit.

:D :eek:

Vomit Launch and Baby Animals were two bands whose names DID NOT reflect the kind of music they did.

Go_Arachnid_Laser
10-07-2017, 01:20 AM
In the mid 1990s, Hootie and the Blowfish toured with Toad The Wet Sprocket. Both bands have said that if they had known they would hit the big time, they would have chosen different names.

One of the Monty Python people first heard TTWS while in his car, and when the DJ announced the name of the band, he nearly drove off the road. :p

Ooooo... Hootie and the Blowfish is absolutely infuriating as a name. It's the nicknames of two friends of them who weren't even in the band. I bet they have had to explain a million times that no, the singer is not Hootie, and the rest of the band are not The Blowfish.

The Blowfish would have been a perfectly good name. Why not pick that?

dirty hippie
10-07-2017, 01:39 AM
Bathtub Shitter, Sagging Testicles...I think these were band names. Bathtub Shitter makes me chuckle.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Badger96
10-07-2017, 05:38 AM
Limp Bizkit would be a candidate. Same reasoning as Pearl Jam- it's a masturbation/semen reference.

Any Blank and the Blank band that isn't actually the singer's name and the rest of the band.

RealityChuck
10-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Any Blank and the Blank band that isn't actually the singer's name and the rest of the band.Flash and the Pan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgOMxTxWPuQ) and Hatfield and the North are obvious exceptions -- both great band names.

It's a Beautiful Day is pretty clunky as a band name. They should have chosen the name of their best-known song: "White Bird."

Kak also should have taken their name from one of their songs: "Electric Sailor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHHhtWQanA)."

hogarth
10-07-2017, 10:27 AM
I think the name "A Foot in Coldwater" is kind of awkward. Maybe they should have stuck with "Lords of London" or "Nucleus".

WordMan
10-07-2017, 10:50 AM
For instance, Pearl Jam is a terrible name. They told a couple of unconvincing stories about the origin of the name (first something about Eddie Vedder's grandma making jam, another about being called "Pearl" at first and adding "Jam" as in a music jam)

But everybody knows it's a childish, jokey way of calling their band "semen".

Now, if you want a good band name for them, the band's second album is called "Vs." That would be an excellent name. They could be called Versus and their logo could be stylized as Vs. It's evocative and tells you that they do hard rock.

How about some other bands you like, or dislike, what would be a better name for them?

Totally agree. Pearl Jam as a name stinks.

The best names are ones like Aerosmith and ZZ Top. No real meaning, but cool sounding. (Although ZzTop lifted the ZZ off of ZZ Hill, kinda like Snoop lifted Doggy Dogg off another rapper).

Hoobastank is a burden of a name.

The Beatles is really a silly name, but we can't hear it without knowing how cool they made it.

Shoeless
10-07-2017, 12:37 PM
One of my favorite bands, The Old 97s, has what I think is a pretty terrible name. For people not familiar with the band, I think it conjures up images of groups like "The Good Ole Boys" from the Blues Brothers -- a bunch of fat old guys in matching cowboy shirts playing old C&W standards.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything better. Maybe instead of vaguely referencing an old train disaster song, just name the band something like "The Trainwrecks"?

nearwildheaven
10-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Any Blank and the Blank band that isn't actually the singer's name and the rest of the band.

One possible exception to that would be Vick Sinex and the Nasal Sprays. :p

How about all the bands from the 1980s whose moniker was the lead singer's last name? I will allow one exception, and that was Farren Heit.

nearwildheaven
10-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Limp Bizkit would be a candidate. Same reasoning as Pearl Jam- it's a masturbation/semen reference.

Gosh, and I could have copied the whole post. :smack:

How about Finger Eleven? :D

Gatopescado
10-07-2017, 06:34 PM
Ben Folds Five, aren't there only three of them? :confused:

eunoia
10-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Electronic musicians Severed Heads might have reached a wider audience with a name like Happy Happy Boing Boing in the 80's. Album and track names didn't do much for accessibility either. There was a lot of pressure to humanize (read: infantilize) synth-based music.

EinsteinsHund
10-07-2017, 07:21 PM
The The (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_The), Matt Johnson's band, had an unfortunate name, especially for today (though he couldn't foresee that): it's ungoogleable. I propose "The Definite Articles" instead.

SmartAleq
10-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Alabama 3. No idea why they chose Alabama, they're from the UK and google searches get crapped up with way more results from the American country band. Not sure what else I'd name them, but anything but that.

Son of a Rich
10-08-2017, 12:03 PM
nm

pulykamell
10-08-2017, 12:14 PM

Here's the story (Eric Idle) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2i2krUkBc).

nearwildheaven
10-08-2017, 01:25 PM
I thought Joy Division was a cool band name, until I found out what it really was.

If you don't know, it was a Nazi brothel, and no, the women were not there voluntarily.

Apocalypso
10-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Was anyone in the 80's band Asia from an Asian country? I thought I remember readingthat they just picked the band name because it sounded cool. The Wikipedia article doesn't say where the name came from, just that it was a "supergroup".
If the above is true, then it gets my vote for worst name ever. I don't really like any band names based on locations. Boston, I'm looking at you! Are you supposed to represent the whole city or something?

Not as bad, but I always hated the name Pink Floyd. I'm aware that it's a combination of the names of two old timey musicians, but it just sounds...goofy...

Mr Shine
10-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Fall Out Boy sticks out ad extreme idiocy in naming. Apparently they were asking for names from an audience and someone suggested "Fallout Boy" like the metafictional Simpsons character. Too stupid to realise that fallout is one word, they became Fall Out Boy, which only makes sense as an order, with punctuartion. "Fall out, boy!"

Go_Arachnid_Laser
10-08-2017, 04:23 PM
What about "The Eagles of Death Metal"? The name is some inside joke I've heard several variations of (the most usual is that a friend described another band's music as sounding like, well, that), and of course, how hilarious, they don't actually sound at all like the Eagles and they don't play Death Metal. They do bluegrass garage rock. Isn't that the funniest thing ever? /s

Jesus Christ, this "I'm too cool to care about our name making sense" attitude literally offends me. They should have gone for something like, I don't know, "Hugues, Homme and the Bad News Band".

Ranger Jeff
10-08-2017, 04:50 PM
Back in my days, there was a local band named "Rudy Baker And The Vegetables". I thought that was a pretty good name. There was another band named "Icarus", which I didn't like much but it was better than "Nick B____'s band." I was half an acoustic duo with Gerry D, and we called ourselves "Rocco And The Four Speed Dual Quad Posi Traction 409s", but for some reason, in the coffee house circles we performed in, the name never caught on.

The last band I was in, they rejected both my name suggestions, "Four Jacks And A Jill" and "Half Fast". And I even came up with a good logo for Half Fast.

Trancephalic
10-08-2017, 05:40 PM
"The Buggles" is a really stupid name, but I cannot think of anything better. Apparently the name is derived from "The Beatles," so it's a stupid name inspired by a stupid name, making it stupidČ.

Lamia
10-08-2017, 07:13 PM

But everybody knows it's a childish, jokey way of calling their band "semen".People have been making this claim for decades now, but few bands strike me as less likely to have deliberately given themselves a smutty joke name. I'll grant that it sounds like a smutty joke name, but although there certainly are bands that chose smutty joke names for themselves, in the case of Pearl Jam I believe this really was unintended.

In an early promo video for the band Eddie Vedder claimed that their name was inspired by a family legend about his great-grandmother Pearl's hallucinogenic peyote jam, but he admitted in a 2006 Rolling Stone article (https://web.archive.org/web/20070524100715/http://www.rollingstone.com:80/news/coverstory/pearl_jam_the_second_coming/page/3) this was "total bullshit." No cite, but I remember reading elsewhere that Vedder said "pearl" and "jam" were chosen more or less arbitrarily after brainstorming several possible band names, and that at the time he figured they'd think of something better later and change it. In the same article linked above, bandmate Jeff Ament tells a similar story, saying he suggested the "pearl" bit during a band name brainstorming session and that the "jam" bit was added later, inspired by a Neil Young concert that featured extended jamming. This (unlike the peyote jam story) is a boring enough explanation that I see no reason to doubt it.

As for better names they could have chosen, I know that Vedder is (like me) a big fan of The Who, and so might plausibly have suggested something inspired by their music. They could have beaten the (IMHO inferior) band Lifehouse to being called "Lifehouse". Lifehouse was the working title of an aborted Who rock opera that was salvaged as the classic album Who's Next, although according to their Wikipedia entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifehouse_(band)), this isn't where the actual band Lifehouse got their name.

buddha_david
10-08-2017, 07:58 PM
The Guess Who sounds like a name chosen for an Abbott & Costello routine:

"Hey, Guess Who's playing tonight."
"Umm, I dunno. Seals & Croft?"
"No, Guess Who."
"Geez, why don't you just tell me -- Badfinger?"
"No, Guess Who."
"I don't like these games. Is it the Bay City Rollers?"
"I already told you. Guess Who."
"No, you didn't! Who is it? Steely Dan?"
"Nope. Why do you keep mentioning random band names?"
"AAARRRGGH!!!"

Kropotkin
10-08-2017, 08:25 PM
I would rename "Kansas" to "Oz."

ZipperJJ
10-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Barenaked Ladies was probably funny once. Not sure why they stuck with it.

Not sure what a good replacement would be. Pretty much anything.

Go_Arachnid_Laser
10-09-2017, 12:09 AM
People have been making this claim for decades now, but few bands strike me as less likely to have deliberately given themselves a smutty joke name. I'll grant that it sounds like a smutty joke name, but although there certainly are bands that chose smutty joke names for themselves, in the case of Pearl Jam I believe this really was unintended.

In an early promo video for the band Eddie Vedder claimed that their name was inspired by a family legend about his great-grandmother Pearl's hallucinogenic peyote jam, but he admitted in a 2006 Rolling Stone article (https://web.archive.org/web/20070524100715/http://www.rollingstone.com:80/news/coverstory/pearl_jam_the_second_coming/page/3) this was "total bullshit." No cite, but I remember reading elsewhere that Vedder said "pearl" and "jam" were chosen more or less arbitrarily after brainstorming several possible band names, and that at the time he figured they'd think of something better later and change it. In the same article linked above, bandmate Jeff Ament tells a similar story, saying he suggested the "pearl" bit during a band name brainstorming session and that the "jam" bit was added later, inspired by a Neil Young concert that featured extended jamming. This (unlike the peyote jam story) is a boring enough explanation that I see no reason to doubt it.

They really aren't above smutty jokes at all. The name I suggested, the one from their album "versus", comes from the refrain Vedder sings in the intro to Animal "one, two, three, four, five... against one", which is, itself, a masturbation joke.

I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with Pearl Jam for a rock band. That's a terrible name.

pulykamell
10-09-2017, 12:13 AM
I’m with the Pearl Jam is fine crowd. I was in high school when the band broke through. Never heard a single masturbation or semen reference about their name. The Animal stuff is completely new to me as well. Freshman in college. Never heard anything about that, either. Seems to me to just be anything can be a sexual (or drug) reference if you want it to be.

Covfefe
10-09-2017, 12:41 AM
I had always had the impression Pearl Jam was at least partially basketball related because they originally called themselves Mookie Blaylock, and jam is another word for slam dunk. It makes me think of an early basketball video game where the ball appeared smaller and silver for a second if you timed the release of your shot right, though I'm thinking of a game released in '93 or '94, I have no knowledge if earlier games had such a feature.

zoid
10-09-2017, 12:52 AM
The Doors should be renamed "Don't Remotely Live Up To The Hype'

nearwildheaven
10-09-2017, 01:41 AM

"No, Guess Who."
"No, Guess Who."
"AAARRRGGH!!!"

Somewhere out there is a "Who's On First?" parody where they're promoting a triple bill featuring the Who, the Guess Who, and Yes. :p I remember hearing it and telling my parents about it, and wondering how they knew what I was talking about. Turns out they really didn't, but they were familiar with "Who's On First?"

As for the OP, there was a band that achieved middling success in the early 1990s called Come. :o They had a female singer and denied that the name was intended to be sexual in any way. Yeah, right.

p.s. Where do you think 10cc and the Lovin' Spoonful got their names?

Go_Arachnid_Laser
10-09-2017, 02:58 AM
Somewhere out there is a "Who's On First?" parody where they're promoting a triple bill featuring the Who, the Guess Who, and Yes. :p I remember hearing it and telling my parents about it, and wondering how they knew what I was talking about. Turns out they really didn't, but they were familiar with "Who's On First?"

It was The Who, The Band and Yes. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqv5xIsFLM)

Animaniacs was pure genius sometimes.

MrDibble
10-09-2017, 04:06 AM
The last band I was in, they rejected both my name suggestions, "Four Jacks And A Jill"
Already taken (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0WvXpyufT8)...

MrDibble
10-09-2017, 04:14 AM
I thought Joy Division was a cool band name, until I found out what it really was.

If you don't know, it was a Nazi brothel, and no, the women were not there voluntarily.

They were well aware (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10W07JBtzvc). They took the name from the novella House of Dolls. It was not celebratory at all.

Personally, I think New Order should have chosen a different, non-Nazi-related name, though, just to distance themselves more from JD.

WordMan
10-09-2017, 06:26 AM
Hijack for a stupid band name anecdote: at one point, my last band had me, two Brits and a Kiwi (New Zealander). When we had to come up with a band name, we had to take into account the fact that we'd be playing family events in town, otherwise we would've gone with Just One Yank. ;)

I Love Me, Vol. I
10-09-2017, 06:54 AM
The The (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_The), Matt Johnson's band, had an unfortunate name, especially for today (though he couldn't foresee that): it's ungoogleable. I propose "The Definite Articles" instead.Hey! The The is, by a long shot, the single best band name ever. There is really no other name that can beat that other than perhaps something like "I" or "_", or " ".

ETA: The The is quite Googleable.

I Love Me, Vol. I
10-09-2017, 07:04 AM
Oh... two random hi-jacky thoughts...

I always liked the name of an Indiana band from a while ago:

Jif and the Choosy Mothers

Also, one I just thought up:

The Adjective Nouns

Don Draper
10-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Wasn't there a band a few years back called "!!!!!" or something?

"10,000 Maniacs" always struck me as a poor fit for the band that used the name. The name itself conjures up the idea of a thrash/speed metal or punk band, instead of a quiet, ponderous folk rock combo.

"? and the Mysterian" always struck me as a supremely dumb name.

pulykamell
10-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Wasn't there a band a few years back called "!!!!!" or something?

Just three exclamation points: "!!!" Pronounced as "chick chick chick."

pulykamell
10-09-2017, 09:39 AM
I had always had the impression Pearl Jam was at least partially basketball related because they originally called themselves Mookie Blaylock, and jam is another word for slam dunk. It makes me think of an early basketball video game where the ball appeared smaller and silver for a second if you timed the release of your shot right, though I'm thinking of a game released in '93 or '94, I have no knowledge if earlier games had such a feature.

You're thinking of "NBA Jam." Also, other than the basketball connection, there is also the musical sense of the word "jam," which is basically a group of musicians improvising together (as in a "jam session," which, come to think of it, can have a rather gross meaning if one were to have a dirty mind. See? Pretty much anything can be made sexual.)

WOOKINPANUB
10-09-2017, 10:11 AM
The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo doesn't really sound much better shortened toOingo Boingo.One of my all time favorites and I'm loathe to mention them because I sound like an idiot saying their name.

I wish I had musical talent so I could form and band and call it Grace Foster and the Milkman.

Guest-starring: Id!
10-09-2017, 12:45 PM
What about "The Eagles of Death Metal"? The name is some inside joke I've heard several variations of (the most usual is that a friend described another band's music as sounding like, well, that), and of course, how hilarious, they don't actually sound at all like the Eagles and they don't play Death Metal. They do bluegrass garage rock. Isn't that the funniest thing ever? /s

Jesus Christ, this "I'm too cool to care about our name making sense" attitude literally offends me. They should have gone for something like, I don't know, "Hugues, Homme and the Bad News Band".

I came here to mention that and the douchey hipster pretentiousness of Broken Social Scene.
Also those awesome purveyors of "What's Up"-itis: Four Non-Blondes.

"? and the Mysterian" always struck me as a supremely dumb name.

I'll second and third that.

I used to replace Pearl Jam with Squirrel Jam, Milton Berle Jam, or Pearl Jim.

And You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead
should be
And You Will Know Us By Buy Our Snail Trail.

Showaddywaddy - just, nope.

Enuff Z'Nuff I used to call Enough, Already!

Archers of Loaf - Anne Archer Pinching a Loaf

I used to call Pop Will Eat Itself
Pop Will Shit Its Fucking Pants

Puddle of Mudd - too many possibilities, here

Live simply became Die

Kajagoogoo...kaja-goof-goof

Porno For Pyros I used to call Porno For Pirates, or - Oh, Right, That Shitty Perry Ferrel Band.

Some local band names (from the 90s) that bothered me...Wrought: Ironsmile, republiccoffeefreedomfighters, Daddy's Hands, Hoofrarump, Out of Nowhere, Mustard Punt, Spiral Getty - too many more, and all with not-too-flattering replacement names.

Crafter_Man
10-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Led Zeppelin to Jimmy Page and his Hired Hands. :D

Marvin the Martian
10-09-2017, 12:57 PM

"No, Guess Who."
"No, Guess Who."
"AAARRRGGH!!!"The name "The Guess Who" was an accident. The band's name was "Chad Allan & The Expressions", but their label put "Guess Who?" on their first hit single as a publicity stunt. DJs would introduce the song as by "Guess Who?" and by the time the label revealed the real name of the group it was too late - they were "The Guess Who".

nearwildheaven
10-09-2017, 01:48 PM
For a while, the comic strip "Funky Winkerbean" had references to a band called Diamond Jelly, and in "Zits", Jeremy's favorite band was (is?) Gingivitis, obviously an Anthrax sendup. :p

Shortly after 9/11, I saw Scott Ian on either MTV or VH-1, which still played music, talking about his band and how they got their name, and no, it had nothing to do with terrorism. In short, they were in their late teens and found out about this deadly disease called Anthrax, and since most people at that time didn't know what the word meant, chose it for their band.

There used to be a band in my area called Odlid! (the exclamation point is part of the band's name). At the time, some Wal-Marts were not selling a Goo Goo Dolls CD because someone thought the blackberry jelly on the baby's face looked like dried blood; however, they had no problem selling Odlid! CDs. :smack:

Made in Macau
10-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Duran Duran Duran

MiM

Just Asking Questions
10-09-2017, 03:29 PM
The The (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_The), Matt Johnson's band, had an unfortunate name, especially for today (though he couldn't foresee that): it's ungoogleable. I propose "The Definite Articles" instead.

When they came onto the scene, I thought it was the perfect name. the distilled essence of all those Dada-esque band names. It's like, how much more distilled could the band's name be? And the answer is none. None more.

The Band was, alternately, the height of pretension. Like there is only one Band, and these are They. It's like says you are the only band that matters. Yeah, right. Go away, wankers.

PS how do you pronounce it? Does one or both get the long-ee sound? The Thee? Thee The? Thee Thee?

EinsteinsHund
10-09-2017, 04:01 PM
When they came onto the scene, I thought it was the perfect name. the distilled essence of all those Dada-esque band names. It's like, how much more distilled could the band's name be? And the answer is none. None more.

The Band was, alternately, the height of pretension. Like there is only one Band, and these are They. It's like says you are the only band that matters. Yeah, right. Go away, wankers.

PS how do you pronounce it? Does one or both get the long-ee sound? The Thee? Thee The? Thee Thee?

Really, I've always thought myself that it's a clever name, but unfortunate in a marketing sense, which surely didn't matter much to Matt Johnson, but maybe to his label(s). By the way, I've always pronounced it "The The", without a long vocal.

ETA: regarding the Band's early carreer as a hard-working touring band, I think it was just the other way round, in the sense that "The Band" was the answer to somebody in some juke-joint asking "Who are those gruff guys over there?" "That's just the band".

xizor
10-09-2017, 04:19 PM
It was The Who, The Band and Yes. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqv5xIsFLM)

Animaniacs was pure genius sometimes.

I recall a similar bit being used in the 70s on a TV show called "Eight is Enough" using the same bands

jaycat
10-09-2017, 08:02 PM
...The Band was, alternately, the height of pretension. Like there is only one Band, and these are They. It's like says you are the only band that matters. Yeah, right. Go away, wankers.

This is a completely inaccurate take, despite Robbie Robertson's being by no means a shrinking violet.

Lamia
10-09-2017, 09:05 PM
They really aren't above smutty jokes at all. The name I suggested, the one from their album "versus", comes from the refrain Vedder sings in the intro to Animal "one, two, three, four, five... against one", which is, itself, a masturbation joke.Dude, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Mangosteen
10-09-2017, 10:32 PM

How about "Cream"? Like "We are the cream of the rock musicians". Just STFU Eric!

drad dog
10-09-2017, 10:56 PM
How about "Cream"? Like "We are the cream of the rock musicians". Just STFU Eric!

How about the Beatles always claiming to be the Beatles of rock?

Lucas Jackson
10-10-2017, 01:13 AM
I think a better name for the Beatles would be The Lucas Jackson 4.

Badger96
10-10-2017, 03:21 AM
Coming back to throw Chumbawumba and Jack Off Jill into the mix.

mcgato
10-10-2017, 10:11 AM
I recall a similar bit being used in the 70s on a TV show called "Eight is Enough" using the same bandsI saw similar with the Second City TV (SCTV) show. It used some combination of Guess Who, Who, Yes, and maybe the Band.

Lorne Armstrong
10-11-2017, 07:12 AM
"Emerson, Lake & Palmer" ended up a good name for a band with three virtuoso musicians. However, when Lake bowed out and Robert Berry joined, calling the band "3" was just silly.

"Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe" just sounded pretentious, as did their lone studio album.

"Yes featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, and Rick Wakemen" are vastly superior to the current official Yes, but the name doesn't work. I preferred them calling themselves "ARW." Or better yet, just call themselves Yes, as the Steve Howe-led version have turned to crap.

Smid
10-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Already taken (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0WvXpyufT8)...

I knew I recognised that name:

Wikipedia Four Jacks and a Jill (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Jacks_and_a_Jill)

"Four Jacks and a Jill also get a brief mention in the cult 'rockumentary' film This Is Spinal Tap, when Spinal Tap arrive to do a gig at a U.S. Air Force base. The base commander, Lt. Bob Hookstratten (Fred Willard) asks Tap if they've ever heard of Four Jacks and a Jill, and then suggests to them that if they are ever in Kansas City and want to hear some good music, then visit the Ramada Inn where the band were supposed to be resident."

Banksiaman
10-13-2017, 05:08 AM
A brief and mean-spirited detour, if I may.

Some years ago my sister saw a golden oldies tour by KC and the Sunshine Band. Great show that she really liked, but because Harry Casey was going through a heftier stage in his life she suggested it be renamed KFC and the Sunshine Band.

Needless to say I was appalled, especially as she is no anorexic herself.

Wallaby
10-14-2017, 05:12 AM
Not as bad, but I always hated the name Pink Floyd. I'm aware that it's a combination of the names of two old timey musicians, but it just sounds...goofy...

The only good thing about the name Pink Floyd was it led to a clever Tribute band name - Anderson Council.

buddha_david
10-14-2017, 01:45 PM
...because Harry Casey was going through a heftier stage in his life she suggested it be renamed KFC and the Sunshine Band.

From a radio D.J. on The Simpsons:
"That song was 'The Safety Dance' by Men Without Hats...currently known as Men Without Jobs!"

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.