PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite non-Twilight Zone anthology episodes?

Dale Sams
10-13-2017, 02:41 AM
Anything. Night Gallery, the Sixth Sense, Tales From the Crypt, Alfred Hitchcock Presents....Goosebumps?

There was a Goosebumps ep my kid was watching and i wasn't paying much attention til the end. There's this monster/school mascot (?) in the gym performing at a pep rally.. This kid in the stands...his friends were supposed to investigate the monster...so he calls them on their cel-phone. He can hear the phone ringing in the monsters belly, and we're given a camera trick. The audience can see into the monsters belly where the kids are screaming annnnnd...

Roll credits. I was a bit taken back. That's it? This is a kids show and they end on that??

cmyk
10-13-2017, 03:29 AM
Yeh, that’s pretty fucked up.

When I was a kid/teen, I loved Tales From the Darkside and Amazing Stories. For the life of me, I can’t think of any TftD episodes that stood out, but I know they exist. I loved the Spielberg directed episode of AS, where the turret gunner becomes trapped in the belly of a bomber whose landing gear is malfunctioning. He’s a talented illustrator, and draws the plane with big cartoon wheels in a moment of abject desperation... and sure enough...

Budget Player Cadet
10-13-2017, 03:45 AM
Black Mirror. Just about anything from it is fucking amazing, but some of the real highlights include "Men Against Fire", "15 million merits", "Shut up and Dance", and "White Bear".

cmyk
10-13-2017, 03:59 AM
Yes, Black Mirror is absolutely stellar. I loved Nosedive, White Bear, White Christmas, Shut Up and Dance, and Entire History of You. Also, San Junipero, while it didn’t speak to me directly in its social commentary — other than the 80s nostalgia — was an uplifting episode in an otherwise dark anthology. You really can’t go wrong with any episode.

Robot Arm
10-13-2017, 04:27 AM
Demon With a Glass Hand from the original "The Outer Limits"

Family Dog from "Amazing Stories". It was the only animated episode of that show and Brad Bird's first time as a director. It was turned into a series (6 years later) that lasted 10 episodes, but I don't remember it being any good. I just rewatched the original online and it's still great.

Kamino Neko
10-13-2017, 04:50 AM
I'm a fan of a couple different Japanese short horror series. Some of my favourite episodes of them:

I'm not sure which series this one was from, but I love it... Not because it's scary, but...well...

It's a retelling of the Phantom Hitchhiker story, only the driver is a cabbie. You know how it starts...a young woman flags down a ride, and asks to be brought home, only when the car arrives, she's no longer in it. In this case, the cabbie talks to the girl's parents. They tell him she does this every few days, and thank him profusely for helping their daughter, tell him that it's good for them, too, and pay him well.

After the conversation, he drives off, thinking about his late mother, who's grave he has yet to visit. 'Maybe,' he muses, 'I should go visit her.' The ghost girl pops up in the back seat. 'I can take you to her!' Cut to black.

It cracked me the hell up, it was just so random. Like 'no, we can't follow the original story, or have this end on a sweet note! Random scare!'

One from Shin Mimi Bokuro (translated at Tales of Terror from Tokyo):

A young woman is living with her (divorced? widowed?) father. He does this thing where he'll come home, with his suit backwards, and claim he was accosted by a spirit called The Backwards Suit. His daughter finds this ridiculously cringy, but he keeps doing it. So, this goes on for a while, until the daughter finally stops humouring and tells him off.

She feels a little bad about hurting his feelings, but is at least glad the stupid jokes have stopped. Then, one night she takes a different route home... She walks in, and is greeted by her father, who points at her with a huge grin on his face. She looks down and...her clothes are on backwards. Between the dad's grin and her 'WTF' reaction, it was hilarious.

And one that wasn't funny...

From Yamishibai (Shadow Play), a...well...almost-animated series based on kamishibai (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamishibai) (paper play).

A man takes shelter from the rain, while on his way home from work. While he's waiting for it to pass, he spots a young couple, and gets nostalgic for when he had that. Then he notices a little girl fortune telling with flowers about whether the rain will stop. It won't.

He approaches her and asks her what she's doing there so late. She doesn't say anything, and just comments that she hopes his wife will come for him. He deflects. She asks him what fortune he wants told, because her fortunes are always true, and he comments 'shouldn't you be going home'...which she takes as a fortune telling request. She won't.

She asks for another fortune to tell. He doesn't answer. She decides to read whether his wife will come for him. He tries to tell her that his wife won't be coming for him. But she's already started so, he goes along with it. She's going to come.

The man starts to explain that his wife can't come, when the girl points. The man looks. A woman is approaching. He stands, then goes to join her, declining the girl's offer of another fortune. The girl looks, and then it hits her, and she begins fortune telling again.

'You're dead. You're not dead. You're dead. You're not dead. You're dead. ... So long, Mister. You don't need any more fortunes.'

It's just so nice, and heartwarming. With a spooky edge, and a slightly shuddery one when you think about the fact that it doesn't give any indication of why he was dead. Did he die because his wife came for him, or did his wife come for him because he was dead? If the former, did the girl's prediction happen because the wife was coming, or did the wife come because of the prediction? In the end, it doesn't matter...he was reunited with the wife he clearly dearly loved and missed terribly, which is nice, even if he had to die for it.

edwards_beard
10-13-2017, 07:38 AM
The Tales From The Crypt Episode "What's Cookin"

Christopher Reeve plays the owner of a struggling restaurant until Judd Nelson comes in and gives him a new steak recipe. Also starring Meat Loaf as the steak.

RealityChuck
10-13-2017, 08:02 AM
Black Mirror is a given.

Lesser known:
"Guillotine" from Darkroom, a short-lived anthology series of the early 80s. Based on a Cornell ("Rear Window") Woolrich story built on the idea that, if the executioner dies, the condemned man goes free. In this case, the condemned man figures out how to use that to his advantage -- or so he thinks.

People don't think of The New Twilight Zone from 1985, which had little to do with the original except its name, and adapting one or two episodes. They often took successful published stories -- sometimes classics -- and adapted them and was filled with great episodes like, "Wordplay," "Paladin of the Lost Hour," "Wong's Lost and Found Emporium," "I of Newton," "The Misfortune Cookie," "To See the Invisible Man," "Gramma" (adapted by Harlan Ellison from a story by Stephen King), "Button, Button" (made into a movie a few years ago), "The Cold Equations," and the absolutely stunning "Nightcrawlers." I don't think anything anthology series has been as consistently good as this until Dark Mirror.

Of course, the original Outer Limits was also great. My favorites included "The Sixth Finger," "The Zanti Misfits," "Controlled Experiment," and "Specimen: Unknown," and "The Premonition."

CalMeacham
10-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Demon With a Glass Hand from the original "The Outer Limits"

Family Dog from "Amazing Stories". It was the only animated episode of that show and Brad Bird's first time as a director. It was turned into a series (6 years later) that lasted 10 episodes, but I don't remember it being any good. I just rewatched the original online and it's still great.

I came in to post Demon with a Glass Hand, and so second it. IMHO the best science fiction episode on TV ever, hands down*. I also nominate Harlan Ellison's other Outer Limits script, Soldier, which undoubtedly the basis of his claim against Terminator.

I thought "Family Dog" was cute, but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list.

Also, I suggest Eyes from the pilot for Night Gallery, written by Rod Serling, directed by a very young Steven Spielberg, and starring Joan Crawford. There's a stack of talent all in one place.

And I have to call out the episode Yellow from Tales from the Crypt. It starred Kirk Douglas and involved a court-martial in WWI, so it couldn't help but recal his classic role in Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory. It was directed by Robert Zemeckis, and also featured Lance Henrickson, Dan Aykroyd (!) and Kirk Douglas' other son, Eric Douglas (playing the son of Kirk's character, appropriately enough). Written by four guys I never heard of, but it packs a dramatic punch and fits the sort of dark twist that TotC and TZ had in common.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0716911/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_wr#writers

*snerk

Grrr!
10-13-2017, 09:55 AM
I can't remember which series this is from. I just remember loving it because I totally didn't see the ending coming:

A struggling artist is attacked in a dark alley by a demon/gargoyle looking creature. Just as the creature is about to bite his head off, he pleads with him: "Please let me go!" The demon agrees to let the man go, but the man had to promise he would never tell a single person about his encounter with the demon.

After the encounter, he meets the love of his life, they get married, have kids, his art career is doing wonderfully...

Thing is though, the man feels terrible guilt because he never told his wife about the encounter he had with the demon so many years ago. So he finally breaks down and tells her.

When he does, she gets super pissed: "YOU BROKE YOUR PROMISE! YOU PROMISED YOU WOULD NEVER TELL ANOTHER SOUL!!"

She then morphs into the demon that attacked him years ago. (Bonus: The kids morph into demons too. Which I thought was hilarious.)

Omega Glory
10-13-2017, 10:23 AM
I can't remember which series this is from. I just remember loving it because I totally didn't see the ending coming:

This is from Tales from the Darkside, the movie.

Skittles Candy, of all things, put out an anthology this year, and I thought this video was pretty good. Video (https://twitter.com/lolalissaa/status/918310900091760646) I missed the intro and googled a description of the video because I thought it was advertising a promising new horror show.

Max Torque
10-13-2017, 10:28 AM
That one's from Tales from the Darkside: The Movie.

While on the subject of Darkside, the best episode ever was "Inside the Closet". A young woman rents a room from a man. The room has a tiny door in it, which is locked. Sometimes, though, it opens on its own.....

CalMeacham
10-13-2017, 10:39 AM
That one's from Tales from the Darkside: The Movie.

While on the subject of Darkside, the best episode ever was "Inside the Closet". A young woman rents a room from a man. The room has a tiny door in it, which is locked. Sometimes, though, it opens on its own.....

I remember that one. It starred Fritz Weaver. Very good one.

The Tales from the Darkside episode I like best is the first one I ever saw. I caught it after the opening, before I ever heard of "Tales from the Darkside". ll I knew was that it was a superbly written and acted drama, and felt like a good episode of the old Twilight Zone, but it was brand new. Probably because it came on me so unexpectedly, I really liked it.

It was The Odds, starring Danny Aiello as a bookie and Tom Noonan as "Bill Lacey" -- actually, the Devil. It was a very well-done Deal With The Devil story, written and directed by James Steven Sadwith from a story by Carole Lucia Satrina. I still don't know anything about the author and director.

erysichthon
10-13-2017, 01:19 PM
One of my favorites is "Late Date" from Thriller (the 1960-62 anthology series hosted by Boris Karloff). A man murders his cheating wife, and his loyal brother helps out by offering to dispose of the body. This turns out to be much more difficult than he expected.
"Guillotine" from Darkroom, a short-lived anthology series of the early 80s. Based on a Cornell ("Rear Window") Woolrich story built on the idea that, if the executioner dies, the condemned man goes free. In this case, the condemned man figures out how to use that to his advantage -- or so he thinks.
This was also adapted as a pretty good Thriller episode.

Annie-Xmas
10-13-2017, 01:26 PM
The third segment of Trilogy of Terror (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilogy_of_Terror), starring Karen Black and that doll.

Dale Sams
10-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Is Tales From the Crypt not streaming anywhere? Damn...i know some are on Youtube but....quality..

Darren Garrison
10-13-2017, 01:59 PM
Thanksgiving (https://archive.org/details/AmazingStories) (starring Kyra Sedgwick and David Carradine) from Amazing Stories. (Can't seem to be able to link to the individual episode, but it is there.)

nightshadea
10-13-2017, 02:22 PM
the second twilight zone had a story where a lonely shy spinster type who read way to many romance novels finds a stray cat who becomes her only friend she makes a wish of some sort and every night the cat becomes this French Casanova who sweeps her off her feet but hes still a cat so he starts looking for new female owner breaking her heart

well she convinces him to give her one last go .. but she has a plan... when hes a cat the next day it shows her taking him in to the vet (she might have slipped something in his food )

.. and shes having a conversation with the vet tech about how he needs this done ot calm him down and keep him at home .. mean while hes having a screaming hissing total fit in the cage the vet tech looks in the cage and says "oh don't worry this wont hurt its just a couple of snips " and says to the lady " neutering these days is so routine I do about 15 or so on a busy day .... and she leaves with a smile between I'm sorry and revenge

Just Asking Questions
10-13-2017, 08:33 PM
The Zenti Misfits and It Came Out of the Woodwork from The Outer Limits. The Zenti Misfits particularly got me when I was a kid. There was another one with a creature that lived in the sand of Mars and ate the astronauts that landed. That was memorable. (except for the episode title)

The Man From the South in almost any incarnation. I think it has been done a number of times.

One word: earwigs!

And The New Twilight Zone (1986) was an awesome show. I don't know why it gets dissed, but the percentage of good stories is way higher than the classic TZ. Her Pilgrim Sould is my all time favorite, but there are tons of good ones.

Sefton
10-13-2017, 09:19 PM
And The New Twilight Zone (1986) was an awesome show. I don't know why it gets dissed, but the percentage of good stories is way higher than the classic TZ. Her Pilgrim Sould is my all time favorite, but there are tons of good ones.

My favorite episode from the 1986 TZ was Shatterday (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gk-pCjsWuE). Bruce Willis starring in a Harlan Ellison story. And directed by Wes Craven, of all people.

fervour
10-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Yes, Black Mirror is absolutely stellar. I loved Nosedive, White Bear, White Christmas, Shut Up and Dance, and Entire History of You. Also, San Junipero, while it didn’t speak to me directly in its social commentary — other than the 80s nostalgia — was an uplifting episode in an otherwise dark anthology. You really can’t go wrong with any episode.

I have never understood the critiques of "San Junipero". The only sub-par Black Mirror for me is "The Waldo Moment", and it is still better than most things Hollywood produces.

I've read critiques of "San Junipero" that say " it was too obvious". For me, it was obvious that it was VR from the second scene. There was no attempt to hide that. I find the question profound. Are things that happen in VR as valid as things that happen in the real world? My nephews love their video games. I am someone who would rather hike to Angel's Landing. Who's experience is more real?-----I just don't know.

Biggirl
10-14-2017, 10:22 AM
I have to mentally prepare myself before I watch an episode of Black Mirror.

There was an episode of Friday the 13th (the series about cursed objects, not the slasher movie franchise) that featured mirror found by a homely high schooler that made people find her irresistibly attractive.

The Other Waldo Pepper
10-14-2017, 12:21 PM
My favorite episode from the 1986 TZ was Shatterday (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gk-pCjsWuE).

To See The Invisible Man was incredible.

E-DUB
10-14-2017, 06:01 PM
So many of my favorites have already been mentioned so I'll toss in "Battleground" from "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" based on a Stephen King story.

nightshadea
10-14-2017, 08:56 PM
you want the goosebumps special Halloween episode that almost got it taken off fox back in the day ?

The one where theres two kids in the modern age that keep having this dream about being in some medieval kingdom and they wear this jewelry piece that someone steals to break a spell

Then they end up back in the medieval age where they learn that there the prince and princess and their uncle is puling a Richard III on them to take over and there was a spell that sent them into the future and it failed they get another spell again just in time but this time they know what's going on

What upset people was it was dark and graphic for Saturday morning I mean the kids crying and begging not to be killed and such.........

Robot Arm
10-15-2017, 01:12 AM
I came in to post Demon with a Glass Hand, and so second it. IMHO the best science fiction episode on TV ever, hands down*. I also nominate Harlan Ellison's other Outer Limits script, Soldier, which undoubtedly the basis of his claim against Terminator.DwaGW was just on tonight. I wonder what ever became of the hand; would be a cool prop to have for a sci-fi collector.

UltraVires
10-15-2017, 10:15 AM
I have to mentally prepare myself before I watch an episode of Black Mirror.

I started Black Mirror because of the recommendations of this thread. The show is absolutely brilliant and stunning if you have the stomach for it. It is the Twilight Zone on steroids. The first episode where the Princess is kidnapped and will be killed unless the PM has sex with a pig on live television seems like exactly something a creepy bastard of modern day would suggest.

CalMeacham
10-15-2017, 12:51 PM
DwaGW was just on tonight. I wonder what ever became of the hand; would be a cool prop to have for a sci-fi collector.

Great Post/Dopername combination

(although I know you based your Dopername on Heinlein's "Waldos")

Wesley Clark
10-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Its kind of shocking how many anthology horror shows there are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthology_series#Science_fiction_and_horror

Ones I think are good.

Fear itself - family man
Masters of horror - cigarette burns, family, the screwfly solution
Alfred Hitchcock presents (80s version) - final escape

Quimby
10-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Came here to say the "Something in the Closet" episode of Tales from the Darkside. Another Tales I liked was the Grither episode (it's Christmas themed).

I was a fan of the show Monsters but no individual episodes are coming to me at the moment.

An Amazing Stories that stuck with me of years but didn't hold up when I finally found it and rewatched it was an episode of Amazing Stories where a nerdy guy accidentally discovers if he spills these two chemicals on a picture the thing in the picture comes to life. Of course he uses it to try and create a hot girl. Talk about wish fulfillment for a nerdy teenager.

Poysyn
10-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Came here to say the "Something in the Closet" episode of Tales from the Darkside. Another Tales I liked was the Grither episode (it's Christmas themed).

I was a fan of the show Monsters but no individual episodes are coming to me at the moment.

An Amazing Stories that stuck with me of years but didn't hold up when I finally found it and rewatched it was an episode of Amazing Stories where a nerdy guy accidentally discovers if he spills these two chemicals on a picture the thing in the picture comes to life. Of course he uses it to try and create a hot girl. Talk about wish fulfillment for a nerdy teenager.

I REMEMBER that one! And he had to kiss them within a certain amount of time or they dissolved?

Quimby
10-16-2017, 05:51 AM
I REMEMBER that one! And he had to kiss them within a certain amount of time or they dissolved?

That's the one!

Another one, and I have no idea which show it was from was an episode where toy army men come to life. It may have been based on a Stephen King story that has a similar premise.

UltraVires
10-16-2017, 04:36 PM
I've read critiques of "San Junipero" that say " it was too obvious". For me, it was obvious that it was VR from the second scene. There was no attempt to hide that. I find the question profound. Are things that happen in VR as valid as things that happen in the real world? My nephews love their video games. I am someone who would rather hike to Angel's Landing. Who's experience is more real?-----I just don't know.

I never saw it coming. It was definitely hinted at that the black girl (forget her name) was other worldly, but I thought the main protagonist was living real life. The episode definitely makes one think. Should one go to San Junipero after death? Heaven isn't guaranteed, so maybe you should. But you would not be with your loved ones who died prior to the technology.

Further, as was said, what do you do with "forever"? Probably go crazy like those freaks at the one bar. Very thought provoking.

JohnGalt
10-16-2017, 05:12 PM
A few that jump to mind:

Night Gallery's version of Conrad Aiken's Silent Snow, Secret Snow, narrated by Orson Welles with music by Paul Glass; a boy gets drawn into his own inner world insulated by snow. It's very strange and unsettling.

Alfred Hitchcock Present's are mostly all good, but two that stand out is the first episode Revenge - a man finds the stranger who is upsetting his wife who is battling mental issues.... and The Jar, Ray Bradbury's tale of a curio bought from a traveling carnival of a large jar containing a . . . what is it?

And for the kids: Are You Afraid of the Dark? The Tale of the Frozen Ghost with one of the greatest lines ever: "I'm cold". The ending is cute and formulaic but cheerful. With Melissa Joan Hart

Wesley Clark
10-16-2017, 06:51 PM
A few that jump to mind:

Night Gallery's version of Conrad Aiken's Silent Snow, Secret Snow, narrated by Orson Welles with music by Paul Glass; a boy gets drawn into his own inner world insulated by snow. It's very strange and unsettling.

Alfred Hitchcock Present's are mostly all good, but two that stand out is the first episode Revenge - a man finds the stranger who is upsetting his wife who is battling mental issues.... and The Jar, Ray Bradbury's tale of a curio bought from a traveling carnival of a large jar containing a . . . what is it?

And for the kids: Are You Afraid of the Dark? The Tale of the Frozen Ghost with one of the greatest lines ever: "I'm cold". The ending is cute and formulaic but cheerful. With Melissa Joan Hart

On the subject of night gallery 'the boy who predicted earthquakes' was a really good episode.

Biggirl
10-17-2017, 12:30 AM
All three of the stories in the pilot if Night Gallery were excellent. Roddy McDowell gaslighting his uncle, Joan Crawford stealing sight and, um, I forget who played the Nazi in the third story. These are the only stories I really remember from Night Gallery. Probably because it was on way past my bedtime.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.